Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2020 6:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode had the most fan service out of the others :o

About time we got a swimsuit episode though. And the idols got some time to have fun under the sun. Everyone looks great in their outfits. The mood got slightly weird but at least everyone is getting along together. Looks like they also had some photos taken since they're idols. Also got to see more of Reika's personality this episode.
Stark700Feb 15, 2020 8:07 AM
Feb 15, 2020 8:14 AM

Feb 2020
Finally a swimsuit episode and it was nice to learn more about Reika, but what the hell just happened in the after credits scene.
Feb 15, 2020 8:21 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Cool to see them in swimsuits at the beach haha Reika's father is adorable
Feb 15, 2020 8:54 AM

Mar 2019
Finally, a beach episode that actually has a purpose other than fanservice.
I like how the idea of a beach episode was used to develop Reika's tsundere-esque character, and she reminds me alot of Maki from love live. As has been the case for the past few episodes, we got her backstory, and it's really interesting to see how each character has a different very different backstory, but that's what keeps them together.
Overall, i still am loving this show and am looking forward to next week!
Feb 15, 2020 8:57 AM

Feb 2019
"and those who can't follow these rules will get spanked" *Doujin artists begin rubbing hands*

I love episodes like these that allow the girls to overcome their issues. In this case it was Reika's insecurities and unresolved frustration about her mother's death. I'm not sure if her father should be allowed within 100 yards of a school, but it was nice to see them bonding too. MVP of the ep was best girl Miu coming to cheer Reika on and give her the courage to get out there.

I also think the episode brought up a really interesting topic, the sexualisation of idols, especially minor ones just to sell albums and merch. Really sad, but that's economics for ya. I can only imagine how uncomfortable many of them are made to feel.

Really loving the series so far, about to be past the halfway point and it's been a great ride. wish it wasn't so slept on. I think it's a lot better than most of the other idol shows. It's certainly better than LoveLive's first season. First episode was a bit confusing which probably turned some people away. But the concept of the wall is something I like a lot. Did the girls get hit with coronavirus at the end there or wtf
Feb 15, 2020 9:37 AM
Apr 2017
pp blaster episode. get the lube out, bois. nice episode.
Feb 15, 2020 11:19 AM

Jul 2017
well for a beach/fanservice episode that sure was intense. I like the dad-kun and that ED was pretty lit as well

on another note, that was some garbage convincing by the girls trying to get Reika to participate. All of them just peer pressured her and put the blame on her if she didn't. Miu and Sakura's convincing was nice though

and that ending though hahahha what the fuck everyone got drugged and now Jun is the only remaining. Well I guess her backstory is up next.
Feb 15, 2020 11:28 AM

Jan 2014
I just love how we're getting indepth backstories about the characters. It really makes them feel like real characters and not just some bland mess, or usual tropes.

The after credits scene has me concerned.
Feb 15, 2020 11:35 AM

Mar 2019
Sometimes you jsut have to give up your own pride for the whole team. Glad Reika understood that.
Her story was very sad, losing her mother when she was so young...
Great Solo ED by Reika
Feb 15, 2020 7:38 PM
Sep 2018
I am glad it not a serious problem. at first, I thought the reason she does not want to wear a swimsuit because she has a scar when still a baby.

Everyone have their own way to convince her, but miu is the best.
Sometimes you need to dampen your own ego for the team.

I can't wait to see the next episode.
Feb 15, 2020 8:04 PM

Jan 2011
Teodryk said:
Oh yeah "sexism is good" episode... Yes Japan you are in mental middle ages
yeah i couldn't think of a worst way to go about the end message on doing some photoshoot idol "think of of the fans" think of the staff" put your pride a feeling aside and just do it it just felt odd because while it's nice that everyone gave her a push but at the end of the day it was just to put on a damn swimsuit that she didn't want to , all this episode did while giving us a deeper look at Reika's life and why she cares about her father so much it just kinda reinforced the shiity aspects of this industry without really saying anything.

also wtf is happening at the end found it strange Miu passing out she didn't look like she was overworking herself then everyone but Jun hit the ground full on just drugged all of them but her for some reason
Feb 15, 2020 9:36 PM

Jan 2018
having a strict member or even a leader is necessary for an idol group. glad to see Reika overcome her embarrassment lmao. also very excited to see the next episode as it features Jun!! I really love Jun's personality in this anime, can't wait
Feb 15, 2020 10:19 PM

May 2018
Swimsuit time! Those are some really sexy outfits hahaha! I could see why Reika was concerned.

Okay that end credits scene.
At first i thought Miu was sick or something
but no almost all of them collapse like wtf
did they all eat the same batch of bad food or something

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Feb 15, 2020 10:35 PM

Jul 2017
I'ma completely level with y'all, this episode was Not Good for me specifically because I have been in really similar situations to Reika and having people pressure you for the sake of their own gratification is kinda awful. This episode really could've said something about the idol industry and what happens when you're not comfortable in a situation that fans demand you partake in, but no. It was just a sexist, backwards message overall.

Like, seriously, they could've have tried to compromise by having her pick a swimsuit she'd feel more comfortable in? Or working with her in other ways that may have made her feel better about the photoshoot? This was just hard to watch, tbh...
Feb 15, 2020 11:55 PM

Sep 2015
This week episode is the weakest so far. No relation between her backstory and swimsuit at all.

They could've done her backstory in the first half and then follows by swimsuit and it wouldn't make any difference in narration. No point keep using flaskback because her decision is made up by the current events and interactions rather than the past like Sakura's grandma story and Miyako's okonomiyaki story.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Feb 16, 2020 3:05 AM

Aug 2018
Like someone said above
Reika kinda like Maki with a mix of Umi
from Love Live
She's the leader in the group and really dignified girl, also the one who makes strict rules with a bit of being tsundere xD

I really enjoyed this ep!
wtf just happened in the end???
SOP-IIFeb 16, 2020 3:11 AM
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Feb 16, 2020 11:48 AM

Jul 2017
The wall is a dictator and the girls are pressured into things they don't think are right. It is a sad fact of life that you have to play by the rules of the industry you work in.

Pretty uncomfortable episode overall and I did not like the message contained in it. This was a hard break from my usual enjoyment of ecchi scenes and other type of fanservice nonsense.
Feb 16, 2020 9:47 PM

Oct 2008
of course Reika has the best body proportions! hehehe yum!
4/5.

Feb 17, 2020 4:54 AM

Jul 2017
Reika has had quite the insecure but strict life, an illness bred from young...what gives?

As said and mentioned with all above, this episode was a very wishy-washy one, seemingly unrelated situations that don't link up.

Firstly, the Wall giving her centrestage position for absolutely no reason at all, other than to dictate innocent lives and thwart the expectations of the fans with fanservice...tying in with secondly, plus that of sudden trip to the beach. Obviously not all people are wired the same, and threading her this way is just inhumane, even at the levels of the idol industry where work is forced and there is nothing that could be done about it but to go with whatever is spoken. I'd wager that even for soft-spoken Miu, as much as she's a worrywart, she chose her own actions to lead for a better outlook of life, as is with the other girls with their own perspectives.

For Reika, the invitation to 22/7 made and broke relations with her parents, and I kinda understand how it is for the only child to leave your own foster family for a better venture (albeit that uncomfortable journey making or breaking selves), and the only way around it is to take charge through the misforgivings such as the journey called life.

IMO, this was one confusing episode full of loopholes that had me scratching my head in question marks.
Feb 17, 2020 5:20 AM

Oct 2007
damn, the drama in the beginning feels so forced. Anyway, this episode only shows why Ayaka is best girl.
Feb 17, 2020 1:34 PM

Jan 2013
If this was written better they either would go against the photo shoot or play more on the shame and humiliation bit a little more, maybe even show Reika getting very uncomfortable after taking her photos to show how bad it was for her despite acting like she was okay with it by the end.

For what seemed like it tried to be a commentary on the idol industry, this episode really dropped the ball on this part.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Feb 19, 2020 10:37 AM

Oct 2017
Reika's backstory was kinda touching. Thou the main part was the beach and ofc all the girls looked cute in swimsuits. Also looks like the girls are in trouble.
Feb 20, 2020 4:07 AM

May 2009
So in the end only idiots don't get sick, even from sudden coronavirus attack,
Feb 20, 2020 4:31 AM
Nov 2019
They dropped the ball badly on this Ep.

Reika - sat on bus because uncomfortable with swimsuit shoot and basically being "persuaded" to do it as it's expected by the wall.

Should have called out the sexualisation of idols especially in the current climate.

Bit of foreboding on the post-credits clip with all but one collapsing.
Feb 21, 2020 4:37 PM

Feb 2018
Reika is the best girl, give me more beach time.
Feb 22, 2020 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
A Reika focused episode. Guess we'll have a Jun episode today.

That ending tho...

Mar 16, 2020 2:56 PM
Aug 2017
yep the sexism was super upsetting here. love reika i thought theyd show her sticking to her honorability and her values but instead made her give in to peer pressure,. literally what was the point. absolutely missed out on an opportunity for idol/objectification commentary. And what was sakura saying, we dont like it, but we all do it anyways for the "fans"? tf
Mar 21, 2020 11:48 AM

Nov 2007
Yay! I'm so glad the the MAL community realizes that this episode was gross. I was so uncomfortable the whole time and it honestly made all the other girls look like jerks for just being like "look, just put on the swimsuit." I feel like this is related to the Japanese "do it for the group" mentality mixed in with some good old fashioned sexism.

Hopefully things improve from here...

Mar 22, 2020 10:48 AM

Jul 2010
For anyone who's interested, I wrote a fan fic that basically rewrites this episode's ending to make it less sexist and more sympathetic to Reika's boundaries on my AO3 account here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/23260786

It's probably not that great, but after seeing how stupid this episode was and how bad its message is, I felt compelled to write an alternate ending to this episode that didn't make me want to roll my eyes.
Mar 29, 2020 4:02 AM

Mar 2009
The message of this episode was terrible holy shit.
Apr 4, 2020 1:23 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Yeah, I just can’t get myself to appreciate the message from this episode.

Sexualisation of Idols is one of those dirty things in the industry imo and this episode certainly made things a lot more uncomfortable than vice-versa.

Reika’s past was really touching though. Had the episode played out slightly differently, I might’ve just shed a few tears over those last few moments between the two.

20 new orders is quite something but too bad it seems like the work load is getting to the girls now. Or is it the workload? Whatever the case, poor Todo-san. That reaction of hers was perfect, lol.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 24, 2020 1:26 AM

Oct 2015
Seems like best girl is a center and went to Uranohoshi. Coincidence? I think not!
Jul 9, 2020 2:30 AM

May 2015
That was uncomfortable to watch. The way they pressure her then make her feel guilty about not wanting to wear the swimsuit was horrible.
Sep 24, 2020 11:16 PM

May 2020
Fan service time. Glad I watch this episode. I see Reiko I press like.
Nov 2, 2020 12:49 PM

Sep 2015
A couple things I didn't like about this episode. Reika's father complex, a reverse dependency as being his pillar along with his apparent sloth-ness. Not too fond of this type. I guess with Reika's mother's death, some sort of complex has a higher chance of surfacing. The other issue I have is the role of leader. She's leader, but doesn't do anything as leader. Will she still be leader next episode? Perhaps leader in name only, no real authority or power? The one with true power is the Wall. Is it a ploy by GIP to manipulate the girls more forcefully than if they had a human exec commanding them? Anyway, I really loved Sakura's episode and appreciate the character designs.
Apr 13, 2021 9:23 AM
Apr 2021
Can't wear a swimsuit, really ? We are in modern era, she's an highschooler.
Jun 11, 2021 12:23 PM
Dec 2018
Ah yes, guild tripping a minor into wearing a swimsuit she doesn't feel comfortable with. Just screw off with this trope of sexualizing children please. :/
Jul 25, 2021 10:18 AM

Feb 2020
Finally, a beach episode.

That ending was weird. Suddenly everyone lost their conscious except Jun.
Oct 16, 2021 8:14 PM

Dec 2020
beachh episode !!! its here its here !!!!!! but who the hell cares about that are we just gonna ignore how akane carried a dice in her tits for ???? whatver reason?
Apr 16, 2022 3:18 PM

Jan 2010
One thing I do like about 22/7 is how the show uses different EDs for each episode. Anyways, the whole wall thing is really some "but thou must" nonsense to force things along. Reika didn't ask to be the leader of the shoot, so I don't get the pressure everyone places on her. I'd like it more if the characters were making their own decisions, as it would warrant everyone's expectations, but well, whatever works. Also, if the center position was flexible the whole time, that renders the drama of the first three episodes somewhat moot.
ShockedApr 16, 2022 3:32 PM
Dec 18, 2022 2:58 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
This episode was kinda toxic I had to stop watching. Seriously, people should learn to respect others' boundaries...

More topics from this board

Poll: » 22/7 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

51 by bushman66 »»
Aug 21, 2023 4:26 PM

Poll: » 22/7 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2020

128 by anikevin »»
Jun 11, 2023 10:00 PM

Poll: » 22/7 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2020

60 by Nurguburu »»
Apr 26, 2023 1:43 PM

Poll: » 22/7 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

26 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Sep 27, 2022 3:42 PM

Poll: » 22/7 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

59 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Sep 27, 2022 9:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.