Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 1, 2019 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah, a reunion between son and father. What an episode of drama.

The King of Danes is honestly so intimidating. Canute received some interesting words from the king himself about the crown. The real question is if he can control the crown's power. Nonetheless, I find those scenes really worth keeping a close eye to.
Dec 1, 2019 7:48 AM

Jul 2016
Am I the only one who couldn't see what was happening in the episode? Canute's balls were covering the entire screen.

Great episode, not as action-packed as the previous one, although it had its tense moments. King Sweyn is definitely a smart and dangerous foe, and it doesn't seem like he harbors any positive feelings for Canute.

I love how Thorfinn is still training to defeat Askeladd, even though they have other issues they must deal with first.

Leif was shown at the end, another cliffhanger it seems.

Overall, 5/5
Dec 1, 2019 8:53 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

The confrontation between King Sweyn and Canute/Askeladd was awesome. He's not a foe to be taken lightly but it was awesome to see Askeladd smart talk his way out of King Sweyn's death threats.

Thorfinn training was a nice as well.

I loved the scene between Askeladd and Atli with the latter giving him some gold as a parting gift but I also like that he told Atli that fighting doesn't suit and he should just settle down somewhere and become a farmer or something. Despite his rough demeanor, Askeladd still cares.

Leif! It's been a while since we saw him. He's still searching for Thorfinn.

Dec 1, 2019 8:58 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Super good episode. The conversation between Cnut and Sweyn was very tense and we got to see Askeladd getting mad as hell. That ending scene where Askeladd gave Atli a gold bracelet was kind of surprising, a nice gesture from him is something that I did not imagine would happen.

5/5
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 1, 2019 9:09 AM

Jul 2015
Nice episode

They really brought out that confrontation scene between Canute and Sweyn pretty well.

Dec 1, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2018
Mad respect for Lief tho. The man's been searching for years and still hasn't found him. I wonder how heartbroken he'd be if he found out what his boi has become.
Dec 1, 2019 9:38 AM

Feb 2018
Thought we might have to wait a couple episodes for the confrontation. Very tense, but no blood was shed. The King looks very weary. It's that crown. Heavy, and apparently bossy, too.

I wonder when we're going to meet this "Golden Child", Canute's brother?
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Dec 1, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2015
Priest without beard is just wrong. ;d
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 1, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2009
lol Canute really became a badass motherfucker he is now be like fuck God and his trials

Dec 1, 2019 9:59 AM

Nov 2016
That "I'll never forgive him, tho" xD

Literally every second of this episode was a treat again. The tense confrontation between Sweyn and Canute with Askeladd showcasing his sharpness, but the King isn't a pushover either. I'm highly anticipating the banquet now. I also liked the farewell between Askeladd and Atli. Or even Thorkell just being Thorkell. Enjoyable episode through and through.

And glad to see that Leif is back.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 1, 2019 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
Canute's drive is fascinating to witness. It's surprising, though, how easily he can trust and use Askeladd, while Thorfinn, on the other hand, can't let go of his grudge.
Dec 1, 2019 10:06 AM

Oct 2017
Another intense episode, the whole conversation with the king was so nerve wrecking. Thou the highlight of this episode was the priest lol, didn't think he was actually this young.

Btw watching that Leif guy still looking for Thorfinn kinda made me curious. I wonder when he reunites with his sister and mother.
Dec 1, 2019 10:06 AM

Sep 2017
Ah man rip Bjorn. I hoped he would join the team but I'd guess he's pretty much entirely OC and they don't want to many OC around the next set of events which I assume are gonna be pretty historical. Was a nice send off for Askeladd's last men tho. Whether or not he gave a shit about them, it was nice to give them some gold.

That guy at the end was the dude that used to hang around Thors right? I'm pretty sure he was in the same place the king said they are gonna have that party for Canute. Meaning he will probably run into Thorfinn. Gonna be interesting.
Dec 1, 2019 10:08 AM

Mar 2012
I didn't even remember half the dialogue from this episode so it's was a treat how well this was all put together.

Nice to see Willibald without the beard in color.
Dec 1, 2019 10:12 AM

May 2019
This episode felt extremely short I couldn't even finish eating my snack.

Canute's balls grew from covering 0 pixels to covering the whole screen in just a few episodes.

Hearing that Bjorn is on the verge of death was quite sad. He was a nice mad lad. Askeladd only has Thorfinn now. The boy who tried to kill him multiple times ended up being his most reliable comrade alive.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Dec 1, 2019 10:23 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was nice with no action at all. Patience and cautious planning is what is needed to take down the Boss. The King may look weak, frail, and disgusting, but he is no joke either. Makes me wonder how this will go down.
Dec 1, 2019 10:24 AM

Oct 2015
Another mediocre episode again. With Canute and his father's boring spat!

Thorfinn has become an eyesore for me, his standing in the show has become contradictory and lackluster. But he can't be worse than Canute though or the lame development of the story.

No matter how much you hype it with words like "great episode" or some fixed ratings, this show is average.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 1, 2019 10:24 AM

Aug 2017
Canute grew up from boy to a man. He has an intense aura around him now. Askeladd actually helped a traitor. Also the priest shaved off his beard. Drama packed episode.
Dec 1, 2019 10:28 AM

Jan 2009
lihle808 said:

Thorfinn has become an eyesore for me, his standing in the show has become contradictory and lackluster. But he can't be worse than Canute though or the lame development of the story.

No matter how much you hype it with words like "great episode" or some fixed ratings, this show is average.

do you hate character driven story? do you want plot driven story more like action shows? then obviously this show is not it
Dec 1, 2019 10:33 AM
Jul 2019
welcum2savage said:
This episode cut out a small scene between bjorn and askeladd that i really like and that foreshadows next episode. Also shows their relationship well and its a shame they cut it. If you want to read it its at the start of chapter 43.

They’re probably gonna show it later since it seems like they’re rearranging the order of events.
Dec 1, 2019 10:40 AM

Mar 2012
Jaegerbomb_106 said:
welcum2savage said:
This episode cut out a small scene between bjorn and askeladd that i really like and that foreshadows next episode. Also shows their relationship well and its a shame they cut it. If you want to read it its at the start of chapter 43.

They’re probably gonna show it later since it seems like they’re rearranging the order of events.
What Jaegerbomb said. I think it was a good call to cut it here the way everything was put together. As long as it's not cut from the next episode anyways.
Dec 1, 2019 10:40 AM
May 2017
I didn't realize Atli's brother was still alive. F for Bjorn. So Leif kept his promise and is still looking for Thorfinn.
Dec 1, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2017
Really liking Canute's VA so far. UNO Kensho's doing a pretty good job

And nice to see Askeladd as well is starting to change. Don't think he would've let them go so easily at the beginning of the season lol
Dec 1, 2019 10:52 AM
Mar 2019
Canute Has Become My Favorite Character, His Development Is Staggering And Neatly Done.
Fantastic Episode!
Dec 1, 2019 10:53 AM
Jul 2017
I love these slower episodes just as much as the action packed ones. I liked the comedy this episode. Some nice little comedic scenes were sprinkled in which is nice. There was so much tension in the confrontation with king Sweyn. I also loved that scene with Askeladd and Atli at the end. It was a nice send off. I like that side of Askeladd when he’s not pillaging villagers lol. And Lief was shown again! I remember some episodes back he was briefly shown. I wonder what he’s been up to. I bet he’s been looking for Thorfinn this whole time.
Dec 1, 2019 10:59 AM
May 2019
Canute doesn't even budge, holy molly. That could be a problem.
Also, the dude from Iceland is still searching Thorfinn, wonder how will he feel when he sees what Thorfinn has become. Also, is Helga still alive? She had a hard time in Iceland.
Only 4 episodes left, already missing it.
Dec 1, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
We finally got to see King Sweyn face up close. His confrontation with Canute was intense. He has no love for his son.

It was good to see Leif again though I do feel sorry for him. He is still searching for Thorfinn :(.

Dec 1, 2019 11:32 AM
Feb 2009
I swear i just opened my bag of cheetos and the ending song started playing another straight fire episode!
Dec 1, 2019 11:34 AM

Feb 2019
This is basically just GOT as an anime. I'm so proud of Canute for dropping his nuts. Also, Atli is too kindhearted to ever fight, go home son, raise a family.
So looks like it'll end at the slave arc, I wonder if the series will continue gaining traction given the next 2 seasons will be pretty low on action compared to the prologue. I know at least on Anitwt, people want fights

Heads up, director also said that they'll be changing the next few episodes in order to create a unique experience between the manga and anime.

Also, how does OP watch every single RAW for every single currently airing anime in order to make these threads in advance? Those he get leaks?
Dec 1, 2019 11:52 AM

Aug 2012

Look at this fucking dream team.
Dec 1, 2019 11:57 AM

Jul 2014
This episode was always going to have a hard time living up to the heights of the past two, but it did well in moving on and putting some new pieces into place. The meeting between Sweyn and Canute was tense and did a good job in teaching us more about the Danish king, who has very much been a mysterious figure.

My only complaint is that some of Canute's "ultra-serious" faces (see the first picture in this thread) didn't have the intended effect and just looked stupid instead.
Dec 1, 2019 12:28 PM

Jun 2014
It still amazes me to think that just several episodes ago Canute was a sniveling whining baby, he's come so far in such a short amount of time. It was cool to see him stand up to his father with Thorfinn and Askeladd (who I thought was going to lose his shit for a second and go for the king's head). I also like how Askeladd sent off Atli and his brother with his bracelet and told Atli to start a family and live a peaceful life. Even if he claims to have never liked his men, that showed me that he still somewhat cared.

Also, RIP Bjorn, seems like he isn't going to make it. Such a shame since I liked him. And lol the priest without his facial hair. Crazy how he looks 50 with it but is actually only 23 xD. Leif is still searching for Thorfinn as we can see at the end of the episode, mad respect to him for still not giving up.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 1, 2019 12:31 PM

May 2018
Ah, I want to see Leif's reaction.

Dec 1, 2019 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
lihle808 said:

dude if you don't like it don't watch it This isn't for you if you want Action all the time there are many anime that fit This description
Dec 1, 2019 12:39 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They captured the tension and fury of Askeladd beautifully in this episode. My memory is a bit fuzzy since I read this bit of the manga eons ago, but I'm pretty sure they're moving some stuff around chronologically?

Isidoro4567 said:
lihle808 said:

dude if you don't like it don't watch it This isn't for you if you want Action all the time there are many anime that fit This description

Don't encourage him. He'll break out into 3 paragraph rant about the greatness of Naruto or One Piece compared to this "boring, overrated show were they talk too much"

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 1, 2019 12:43 PM
Mar 2015
Politics at its finest The Game of Thrones is in full swing
Dec 1, 2019 12:44 PM
Jun 2015

sorry for the question, but why Thorfinn's position is contradictory? You seem to be a person who is not immersed in any of the plot.
Dec 1, 2019 12:45 PM
Jan 2017
Awesome episodd without action.the story is greatt.vinland saga greatness.the direction is this ep is 💯💯👌
Dec 1, 2019 12:52 PM

Jan 2019
welcum2savage said:

Ah, I knew something was missing
Dec 1, 2019 12:57 PM
Aug 2018
lihle808 said:

quoting to pay you my respect, because I agree with you
Dec 1, 2019 1:30 PM

Oct 2013
Great episode full of tension and mind games. Askeladd and Thorkell were awesome as always. Canute really changed. Approaching his father, the king, like he did was quite reckless if you ask me. Good that Askeladd was able to interrupt and emotionlessly support Canute.
Dec 1, 2019 1:49 PM
Apr 2016
The mental fight against the King was tense, the King truly is a great King though, he was very intimidating, for sure.
Dec 1, 2019 2:26 PM

May 2019
Just ignore the bait and move on guys. Well, it was a great episode, well directed and Askeladd angry face was more impactful than it's manga counterpart. Excited to watch the rest.
Dec 1, 2019 2:47 PM

Mar 2018
lihle808 said:

nope it isn't average. You just don't like it. The fact that you don't like it doesn't make it average. Go watch another generic shounen
Dec 1, 2019 3:24 PM

May 2019
There was supposed to be some original scenes. What were they?
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Dec 1, 2019 3:30 PM

Oct 2018
this was the best episode so far....... If there is going to be season 2 I think they are going in the right direction, though I don't like the concept of religious belief to be violent.............
“You can always die. It's living that takes real courage." - Himura Kenshin”

Dec 1, 2019 3:32 PM
Oct 2016
I have to say that this scene was f *** safe the crazy that is p ***
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 1, 2019 3:51 PM

Dec 2013
Willibard looks so different without his beard. He looks so young now!

The chess game between Canute and the king is intriguing.
Dec 1, 2019 3:51 PM

Feb 2019
4 episodes to go and I already will miss it. Also that smooth scene when Thorfinn was training on the bucket. It was smooth.
Dec 1, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2013
emraanash said:
this was the best episode so far....... If there is going to be season 2 I think they are going in the right direction, though I don't like the concept of religious belief to be violent.............

Welcome to the Dark Ages my dude
Don't believe the hype.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
Yesterday, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.