Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 25, 2019 12:34 PM

Dec 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
(This episode was watched at the pre-airing by Crunchyroll at London MCM Comic Con on 25th October 2019 - episode 2 was also aired but I had a train to catch so had to leave after the first one)

Of the two pre-airings (the other being Kyokou Suiri), this was the one I was most looking forward to, but ended up being the one I enjoyed less of the two. Not to say it's bad - the visuals are stunning and the setting an interesting one.

But the whole "pretending to be something else" thing is not something I'm particularly fond of in stories. I suppose I should have expected it based on the synopsis, but this goes way beyond persecution - to the point where basically every living thing would want to eat her if they know what she was. And the girl, at least in this first episode, is both very evocative of parental instincts and such a carefree spirit - usually something I'd be fine with or even see as a plus point but in the setting of this first episode it just put me on edge with worry for her. Thus this is not the relaxing journey type series. Nor is there any mystery of what happened to the people - it's very clearly laid out (from the perspective of the monsters) in this first episode. Nor does this episode, in itself, actually show them doing what they claim to be doing - searching for humans. So what is there actually on offer?

It probably would have been better if I had watched the second episode as well. At the very least that would have given me an idea of how much this was an introductory scene-setting episode and how much it actually continues like this, but I didn't and thus can only comment on what I watched.

Will I continue with this series? I guess it depends what I feel like when it airs. I realise I've spent much of this post criticising it, but I did enjoy it (the main characters are certainly likable and it's very easy - too easy - to grow attached to them), just less than I had hoped for and considerably less than I did the series that was aired just before it.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Nov 16, 2019 6:59 PM

Sep 2010
Just watched the first three episodes at AnimeNYC. What an adorable and peaceful show, cant wait for it to start airing so I can continue watching.
Nov 21, 2019 7:28 AM

Sep 2010
Pizzajail said:

If there is any use of CG, please let me down gently. From what I've seen in the PVs the atmosphere looks amazing but there were a few cuts where the golems registered as CG for me, breaking my immersion. Although the scenes were so quick it was impossible to tell when I went back and looked frame by frame. It could just as easily been an awkward cut.

I don't expressly recall any instances of CG, If there was it wasn't offensive enough to at least catch my attention. Definitely no Berserk 2017 levels of terrible CG.
Jan 2, 2020 9:12 AM

Sep 2017
Pensak said:
Pizzajail said:

If there is any use of CG, please let me down gently. From what I've seen in the PVs the atmosphere looks amazing but there were a few cuts where the golems registered as CG for me, breaking my immersion. Although the scenes were so quick it was impossible to tell when I went back and looked frame by frame. It could just as easily been an awkward cut.

I don't expressly recall any instances of CG, If there was it wasn't offensive enough to at least catch my attention. Definitely no Berserk 2017 levels of terrible CG.

Characters in the ED is animated by CG. Otherwise the first episode is mostly non-CG.
Jan 2, 2020 9:35 AM

Sep 2017
After watching the first episode it really feel like Violet Evergarden to me. I don't really understand anime's obsession with stories about emotionless character learning about emotions. A character is interesting usually because s/he has an interesting, unique personality. But the Golem here feels just like emotionless robot we have seen so many times in anime. And even the kid is generic too. It also feels like an easy way to set up a path for character growth. So we can have very generic situation like a kid wandered off and got lost but it can still make a "lesson" out of it because Golem is supposed to know nothing about kids so he has plenty of parenting skills to pick up one by one. I just don't see how it is supposed to be interesting. Maybe it echoes with people on the autistic spectrum? I really don't understanding if this kind of story is just a result of a mediocre creativity or if there is indeed a niche market for exactly this kind of story.
Jan 2, 2020 10:31 AM

Nov 2011
> It called me "Dad"

I really like the overall setting for the first episode. The world fiction looks vibrant, full of creativity, and in general, I get that classic fantasy vibe.

The character chemistry between the two main leads also adds moments of entertainment. Golem is a character to keep an eye on due to his nature. Even when he says "Golem lack emotions", I do find many of his behaviors to be human-like. The title is pretty fitting for the first episode -journeying parent and child. So far, this anime has a lot of my interest. Been reading the manga for awhile now so I kinda know what to expect.

The theme songs are also very relaxing to the ears.

Jan 2, 2020 10:36 AM

Jun 2016
Wow i can already tell this is going to be super wholesome and the background art is beautiful- can't wait for more~

A lot of kids get in my nerves even in anime but Somali is one of the exceptions.. plus she looks like Hanako and Yashiro had a child somehow so it just hads to her cuteness.
Jan 2, 2020 10:53 AM
Oct 2014
jotaro's voice 10/10
Jan 2, 2020 11:03 AM

Aug 2013
I feel this is going to be an Iyashi-Kei anime. Everything from the music, over the way the dialogue is written feels like you watch the scenes just unfold in front of your eyes. I'm definitely going to keep watching and see if this Golem that is introduced to not have feelings develops some by being the father figure for Somali.

The fact that Somali calls him Dad and he notices that he somewhat responds to it differently shows it already
Jan 2, 2020 11:29 AM
Feb 2018
I really like Somali and I love the golem. Especially the fact that he has the same voice actor as Jotaro. This anime looks really beautiful and I cant wait to see more.
Jan 2, 2020 11:32 AM
Nov 2017
The humans didn’t like us so we killed them, enslaved them, and ate them until they no longer existed. Why didn’t they like about us?
Jan 2, 2020 11:37 AM

Aug 2008
Oh, didn't know it's getting an anime when I started reading the manga yesterday. Maybe I'll stick to the manga for the time being but I'm not sure about the anime. Walking animation was so bad it was actually distracting. I know Satelight makes only garbage shows now but they usually sucked in everything but the animation department. Not sure why this one looks so bad. Backstory presentation was pretty bad as well. Simple infodump narration at some point makes more sense than shoehorning exposition like this. Or better, just leave it to the viewer to piece things together. Kid is pretty annoying when voiced as well.
AntanaruJan 3, 2020 9:27 AM
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 2, 2020 11:39 AM

Sep 2018
damn this anime really went and made me tear up before the first three minutes were up, can't remember many anime that would've managed that
Jan 2, 2020 11:55 AM
Oct 2019
The episode itself was quite slow and is going through the typical slow start that most surreal anime has to get through, feels like a show that is gonna require a few episodes to pick up. I am not saying that the episode was bad, in fact, I very much enjoyed it; however, it was slow and this discussion only refers to the scope of this episode. The visuals are amazing and I am on the hunt for a new desktop background from the show.
Jan 2, 2020 11:56 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Well, that was wholesome.

Looked really good but the animation feels pretty cheap.. however its not the worst thing for this kind of anime.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 2, 2020 12:16 PM

Dec 2014
Beautiful first episode. I love Somali. Can't wait to see more of this
Jan 2, 2020 12:36 PM

Aug 2019
Just from this episode, I like the setting, the calm OST's, the animation, and the two characters. Overall I liked this episode, maybe I might like it more when more episodes are aired.

Good OP and ED.
Jan 2, 2020 12:40 PM
Aug 2018
I remember trying to read the manga not too long ago and I didn't enjoy it because it was painfully slow. But upon watching this series, it seems a lot of that was cute and this show was actually quite enjoyable. The child acts like a child which is always refreshing, and it seems like the studio knows what it's doing with this show. The backgrounds are beautiful, and though the backstory on the war is a bit less than ideal, the great artstyle used to represent it is plenty enough to make up for it. I'm just left confused now as to why this episode is up now instead of on the MAL date.
Jan 2, 2020 12:57 PM

May 2018
So, that's how them human become almost extinct, a simple act of prejudice by the human??

I'm guessing during the war them beast started to develop the taste for humans and started to hunt them 'til their extinction.
Jan 2, 2020 1:17 PM

Nov 2013
well that was adorbs =D

also:
"I'll stay up all night"
"request denied"
"denial denied" muahaha
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 2, 2020 1:34 PM

Jan 2018
Very "meh" first episode. On on hand, it's a miracle that the industry has a new fantasy series that's not an isekai, but this still didn't catch my attention at all. I mean, the soundtrack was nice in some parts and the visuals were okay, but overall just a bland start. I'll give it another episode or so, but I highly doubt I'll stick with it.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jan 2, 2020 1:36 PM

Dec 2016
I knew nothing about this title until I watched today and I must say that I was impressed.

I thought this was pretty good and look forward to watching more.
Jan 2, 2020 1:56 PM
May 2017
This on Kissanime now. I absolutely loved this episode! The fantasy world looked gorgeus and the World builing was awesome. It was fascinating to see all the different races and animals. According to the story that was told
I have to say that humans deserved their fate. But there might be more to the story. Somali and Golem interacting was funny and cute.This is definitely 10/10 anime if the rest of the episodes are as good. Only thing bothering me was the CGI bits in the ending.
Jan 2, 2020 2:00 PM

Jan 2015
Cute episode

Animation wasn’t impressive at all
Jan 2, 2020 2:01 PM

Mar 2018
Hey Satelight! Nice wholesome anime. Curious if it will keep wholesome but I guess not or rather, it can take a whole 180.
OP and ED are gorgeous and the music is good. I'm normally an OP person, but the ED is more soothing <3

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jan 2, 2020 2:31 PM

Nov 2017
I really like the unique background and colors so far. The OP was meh but the ED was nice. The girl is really sweet and I already like their relationship. I’m expecting a lot of meaningful and funny moments together. The history of their society should also be interesting. Hopefully this anime is gonna be G rated.

plz @ me
Jan 2, 2020 3:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Aww, this was super cute. I actually shed a few tears when Somali was looking around at all the kids holding hands with their parents, and then at the end when Golem offered his hand to Somali. So heartwarming.

I love the fantasy setting, it's really pretty. The only thing slightly negative thing for me would be that Somali isn't voiced by a child (like Barakamon or Seirei no Moribito), thus, it feels slightly less genuine and takes me out of immersion at times. But I can get used to it after a few episodes, just like Udon no Kuni.
Jan 2, 2020 3:10 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
If the animation doesn't completely falter in the long run, this show might be a good contender already for top 3 AOTS stuff.

Best thing about this show clearly is the OST and i'm somewhat flabbergasted i don't see much mentions of it here, incredible melodies fitting to the story.

Background art and the two main characters are also very good.
Jan 2, 2020 3:27 PM

May 2019
Antanaru said:
Oh, didn't know it's getting an anime when I started reading the manga yesterday. Maybe I'll stick to the manga for the time being but I'm not sure about the anime. Walking animation was so bad it was actually distracting. I know Satelight makes only garbage shows now but they usually sucked in everything but the animation department. Not sure why this one looks so bad. Backstory presentation was pretty bad as well. Simple infodump narration at some point makes more sense than shoehorning exposition like this. Or better, just leave it to the viewer to piece things together. Kid is pretty annoying when voices as well.

wait what do you mean by Satelight making bad shows now ?? you did not see there masterpiece the Symphogear series ?
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Jan 2, 2020 3:29 PM
Aug 2010
I really enjoyed the first episode. I'm a fan (weak) for all the tropes that makes up this anime. I thought the background art was beautiful. Found myself lost in the some of the scenery, especially in the ED. Overall, I'm excited to see where this show takes us.
Jan 2, 2020 3:36 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It was a good first episode but i'm a little disappointed by the animation, art in the manga is way better
Jan 2, 2020 3:37 PM

Oct 2012
So we have a blank slate of a golem that will ironically reflect back what it means to be human while trying to hide a human. Will this be the peaceful golem that just goes crazy-berserk when what it's protecting becomes hurt? That's my guess. I'm in although I doubt the story-telling will be able to keep up with the beautiful settings.
Jan 2, 2020 3:44 PM

Jul 2017
Just got wind through Crunchyroll: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/01/02-1/somali-and-the-forest-spirit-episode-1-debuts-on-crunchyroll-a-week-ahead-of-japan

Good setting, definitely love the Iyashikei feeling this emits along with its fantasy setting. The first new show of the new decade. And Satelight (along with some no-name studio collab) does a decent job at that after being milked off early last year with the mediocre Girly Air Force.

Journeying Parent and Child: Father Golem and cat-like kid daughter Somali. To find humans, despite looking like demi-humans that irk humans that sparked the usual human vs. demihuman supremacy.

Some original content are added aside from the usual manga adaptation. And the OST really helps the composite from the get-go, which is always a nice thing.

Definitely an anime of interest, with Minori Inase being Somali and Daisuke Ono being Golem, this'll be a good one for sure.
KANLen09Jan 2, 2020 3:48 PM
Jan 2, 2020 3:59 PM

Mar 2019
UchiMusume 2.0? with a golem?
Jan 2, 2020 3:59 PM
Aug 2018
Loved the first episode, but does anyone know why it’s in the Fall 2019 section
Jan 2, 2020 4:04 PM

Dec 2016
Pretty good atmospheric fantasy title to start the new year.

Hearing Inori Minase voicing the young main lead does give me hope for the long run.

The backgrounds are pretty interesting, specially the ones in the forest landscape. Hope the background characters get a bit more work, the ones in the pub felt a bit scrappy in terms of design and animation.

Wishful thinking: I would have liked Golem a lot more if it was someone older making his voice and if it had added an eerie sound effect to his voice to make him sound more like a mystical creature, not just Daisuke Ono voicing an emotionless character. Also some of his dialogues come out quite long winded for a character that shouldn't have that much contact with other intelligent life forms. I know this sounds a lot like nitpicking (trust me it's not) it's just something that in my mind would add more imersion to this kind of character.

I don't even need to apply the 3 episode rule on this one, it truly looks like an interesting show with a very obvious plottwist down the road.
Jan 2, 2020 4:29 PM
Jan 2019
Golem even with no emotions he acts just like a real dad and very protective. Glad Somali found this Golem in forest. Very cute episode and calm OSTs, looking forward to this.

LoganMcClure21 said:
Loved the first episode, but does anyone know why it’s in the Fall 2019 section

Episodes 1-2 were previewed at a screening in London on October 25, 2019. Regular broadcasting began on January 10.
chintu_Jan 2, 2020 4:35 PM
Jan 2, 2020 5:45 PM
Dec 2014
really loved this looking forward to more
Jan 2, 2020 5:54 PM

Sep 2017
Loved this first episode !

I'm hoping to watch an Usagi Drop-like anime, so far both characters are really pleasant and I already like Somali

The world is quite interesting and seems well built, I got some Made in Abyss vibes sometimes !
The OST seems quite good too, I already spotted some nice soundtracks

And of course the artwork for the landscapes and the backgrounds is gorgeous ! I already got something like 10 screenshots from that first episode, some of them will make great wallpapers
Jan 2, 2020 6:01 PM

Jul 2017
A fine first episode. I'm not an iyashikei fan in general except shows like Mushishi and Girls Last Tour, but this was solid.

The music was exceptional, and the setting was pretty damn interesting too.

The characters seem okay so far. Not necessarily charmed by Somali but I can see the appeal for most others, and she could potentially grow on me.

Overall, a strong 6 to a light 7 for the premiere for me. The actual content didn't necessarily blow me away and it dragged a little, but the music did blow me away. That was great.
Jan 2, 2020 6:50 PM
Nov 2017
Seems like either golems 1,000 years are almost up or he’s not staying in the forest so his body is breaking apart. Also I got a feeling this might end up being like the ancient magus bride but father daughter version bc it makes it seem Slice of Life now but I think it could get crazy dramatic later if golem starts to disappear or Somali gets taken and injured but I hope not. Nice visuals and Somali is so cute. 6/10 so far til I know where it’s headed
Jan 2, 2020 6:57 PM

Apr 2018
Not a bad first episode. Might watch it all if it picks up the pace.

That said, Somali strikes me as quite a handful and a bit annoying. I hope she learns to listen to her "father" or the whole series might end up failing for me.
Jan 2, 2020 7:07 PM

Jul 2014
I have a feeling the last episode of this one will be depressing as hell.
Jan 2, 2020 8:14 PM

May 2013
Probably one of the most imaginative worlds visually that's come out in a long long time if not years. Probably one of the best first episodes in the past few years as well. Probably ran out of probably statements but felt like making three anyways.
Jan 2, 2020 10:09 PM

Aug 2018
The first episode is soo damn good And the opening song my God it made me cry that is how good it is, but the anime is a darker ooooh boy! My dude it isn't looking good for humans
I can't wait for Ep2
SaiDxvLightJan 3, 2020 12:08 AM
Jan 2, 2020 10:11 PM

Nov 2018
Something boring the first episode. Hopefully it improves
Jan 2, 2020 10:27 PM

Oct 2014
This was nice. The guardian and Somali have an adorable bond. I am curious how Somali got to the forest and in such a disheveled state. I wonder if they will show how they became friends and why the guardian was able to leave his forest for the time being.

The highlight was the music, so calming. The art was fine overall, good character designs, messy backgrounds. I don't know why they needed to use sunshafts in every single scene. They're distracting and they obscure the image. Towards the end of the episode when Somali and the guardian were walking, the sun shafts were seemingly coming from every direction. Unless there are multiple suns in this fantasy world, it is pretty jarring to look at. I think this was a good start, a little bumpy but nothing bad. Looking forward to this one.
Jan 2, 2020 10:34 PM
Dec 2018
Antanaru said:
I know Satelight makes only garbage shows now but they usually sucked in everything but the animation department. Not sure why this one looks so bad.

Eemm have you watched Symphogear?
Jan 3, 2020 12:08 AM

Dec 2017
Well, the first episode was boring for me, but it's not bad for Slice of Life anime. I love Action and Fights , so I didn't like much.
Jan 3, 2020 12:40 AM

Dec 2016
I'm pretty down for an adorable fantasy adventure show, art and animation seem good enough that this could end up being a pretty good series
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

115 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.