Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 22, 2018 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So that guy Eugeo and Kirito ended up fighting came from an order from Alice...heh, he sure is different from the others they've encountered.

Eldrie is definitely no pushover considering his experience in fighting. At least they finally managed to get those handcuffs off. About damn time. A hell a lot of info dump this episode too.

Dec 22, 2018 7:30 AM

Nov 2007
His weapon is wip that can change form, and stronger than the chain.

He is the winner of last year's and memory changed? Something came out of his head!

That knight with armor stopping them from the memory attack.

New character saved them. She doesn't introduce herself. Lots of books? Librarian?

She unchained their chains. When she sent Eugeo guy to bath, she finally told main guy the truth. So she's related to the system creators.

One of the four original start to think evil thought, and his descendant is the one who created the system with power and rules. She used people to build the central tower. She even used the power to return to youth when old. She also sold her own soul to devil to rule the world forever.

New "chapter" next (ep.13 airing on January 5).
https://moca-news.net/article/20181223/2018122300300a_/01/
tsubasaloverDec 22, 2018 7:43 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Dec 22, 2018 8:17 AM
Jan 2018
Well it's episode 12 out of 48/50 2nd cour looks like it's where it will pick up a bit

Epiosde 13 will be the end of the first chapter on the 5th and the 2nd will start on the 12th January

( but some are saying there isn't a episode till 12th Jan )

Anyways that answers how kitro could wield the sword after the goblin fight sort and most likely be a party thing included as well which is why egueo could use it two .

And why no one els in the underworld could easily level up the authority is becouse hunting and killing increases it and well so it what outlawed Intresting .

Remmber kitro spent 1.5 years in the underworld at a academy so of course he's gonna know a few system commands/magic
Mattinator95Dec 22, 2018 10:02 AM
Dec 22, 2018 9:07 AM

Jan 2009
so thats the backstory for the Taboo Index its for Quinella/Administrator to rule Underworld forever eh
Dec 22, 2018 9:19 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Interesting episode. Despite facing an integrity knight Kirito's and Eugeo's courage at choosing to stand against him was impressive. The power of imagination once more impressed me. The fight between Kirito/Eugeo and Eldrie though was impressive both in terms of Eldrie's might but also in Kirito's unconventional tactics as well. But the fight sure ended in a most surprising fashion. Cardinal's rescue sure came timely. Her tale about how the world was created sure was insightful as was the insight in Quinella's origins. Even from an early age seems Administrator was one that was driven to find knowledge it seems. To think that her search managed to not only net her the whole command list but also become a visual god as well. Ok and thats v11 wrapped up nicely.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2018 9:31 AM
Jan 2018
Is this only me, or Cardinal's voice is the same as Nero "Umu" Claudius?
Dec 22, 2018 9:37 AM

Jul 2013
Morag_23 said:
Both have the same voice actress. More evident when Cardinal says the same "umu", lmao.

Quinella is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto, btw.
Dec 22, 2018 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
Good episode again.

So it looks like the integrity knights are people who've had their original memories locked out and been made to believe that they are 'special' with a duty to perform.

The fight against the Integrity knight was cool but the parts with the knights slowly remembering who he was with Eugeo was definitely the more interesting part to me.

The Cardinal System, interesting.
UMU! UMU!! All we need now is PADORU PADORU! XD

Anyway, that was a pretty info heavy second half. We got the backstory of how the original humans are technically considered God, this part about how one of them passed down 'selfish' traits seems strange to me. Assuming the original Taboo Index was a code of ethics, how was he able to pass down unethical traits down into his successors? I guess it was more of a 'hint' rather than a 'rule' at that point since it looks like the rules were only made later. The story of the administrator was quite cool in my opinion if you think about it as a story in terms of Machine learning. For the Fluctlight to develop the desire to discover and learn new things in this case the console of the underworld was quite cool, too bad it was fueled by the desire to rule. I guess that was combined with the rule of order preservation in the Cardinal system to make her what she is now.

Looking forward to more next week.
Dec 22, 2018 9:51 AM
Jan 2018
Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode again.

So it looks like the integrity knights are people who've had their original memories locked out and been made to believe that they are 'special' with a duty to perform.

The fight against the Integrity knight was cool but the parts with the knights slowly remembering who he was with Eugeo was definitely the more interesting part to me.

Anyway, that was a pretty info heavy second half. We got the backstory of how the original humans are technically considered God, this part about how one of them passed down 'selfish' traits seems strange to me. Assuming the original Taboo Index was a code of ethics, how was he able to pass down unethical traits down into his successors? I guess it was more of a 'hint' rather than a 'rule' at that point since it looks like the rules were only made later. The story of the administrator was quite cool in my opinion if you think about it as a story in terms of Machine learning. For the Fluctlight to develop the desire to discover and learn new things in this case the console of the underworld was quite cool, too bad it was fueled by the desire to rule. I guess that was combined with the rule of order preservation in the Cardinal system to make her what she is now.

It made it seem quinella made the index not the guy you mean
Dec 22, 2018 10:06 AM

Aug 2013
Not a bad episode.

The fight against Eldrie was pretty cool. The second half was quite interesting.

Dec 22, 2018 10:15 AM

Nov 2016
The parts where we get informations are honestly the most interesting ones. On that note, pretty good episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 22, 2018 10:15 AM

Apr 2016
A great episode.. Finally they showed one of my fav characters from Alicization, tho she's the bad girl

Dec 22, 2018 10:18 AM

Aug 2015
They really are flying through this arc at light speed. Where it usually takes them 14 episodes to adapt 2 books, they're into the 4th book in 12 episodes. Surprisingly, they haven't skipped much so far. Hopefully they won't skip Kirito's talk with Cardinal, which, while it was the length of an entire book put together, is very important.
Dec 22, 2018 10:29 AM

Apr 2017
UMU is back, baby!

Aah, that alone made this episode much more enjoyable
Dec 22, 2018 10:35 AM

Sep 2014
Quite enjoyed this one. It kinda reminded me of Log Horizon's backstory with the admins being part of the myths in the VR world.
Dec 22, 2018 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Cardinal said Umu, sounds so much like Nero from FGO. lol
Dec 22, 2018 10:41 AM
Mar 2017
Today we had many revelations and valuable information for future episodes.
Eldrie turns out to be a very skilled opponent, that whip did not leave any opening to attack the Integrity Knight. Eugeo recognizes Eldrie and he begins to lose his mind until he loses consciousness and a strange crystal comes out of his forehead, Kirito senses that this must be the reason why Alice does not remember them, Eugeo tries to get Eldrie back to his memories but they are attacked by another Integrity Knight, while fleeing a female voice leads Kirito to a door where they manage to escape.
The boys are saved by a little girl who introduces herself as Cardinal and is in charge of the library.
After sending Eugeo to the bathroom, Cardinal and Kirito have a serious conversation, where Kirito finds out about the past of the founder of the church, Quinella and how she got to be on top and get the power that she has and how the Taboo Index was created and the true purpose of these rules.
Things seem to be very complicated for Kirito and Eugeo, since they are unarmed and the skills of the Integrity Knight are incredible, besides that Kirito finds out about the fearsome power that Quinella has.
It's a pity that episode 13 does not come out until January, but I still look forward to the next episode, plus I saw the announcement of the second arc and the visual key is incredible, we see two new Integrity Knights and the knight in red armor who attacked Kirito
Dec 22, 2018 10:42 AM

Apr 2015
Morag_23 said:

Not just you, I instantly recognized her voice simply by the "umu". Now lets hope she won't say it too often, otherwise we'll need an Umu counter again XD
Dec 22, 2018 10:43 AM

Jul 2015
It seems the world was hijacked by a NPC and nobody from outside figured it out? Does it even have an outside puppetmaster? For what?

Based on the Cardinal story, it will be hard to imagine one bad guy from outside fooling the entire staff of scientists controlling the system...

... or we are heading for a total conspiracy that the entire staff knows, with the exception of Asuna and Kirito, which will be the worst case for the storyline and cringeworthy

AdrianRubinskyDec 22, 2018 10:46 AM
Dec 22, 2018 10:56 AM

Feb 2013
Lelouch0202 said:
Good episode again.

Quinella made the taboo index, not the bad apple of Rath. But his tendency were transferred to his ancestors and Quinella was one of them, which then she discovered that she could level up on her authority level and then she hacked the entire system.

She also made the rules about killing animals and humans to make that no one would be able to surpass her level. And then as a administrator, she made those rules part of the world in that in a normal situation no one can break them as they're paralyzed before.
brzzcodeDec 22, 2018 11:10 AM
Dec 22, 2018 11:04 AM

Feb 2013
Quinella is hot and evil, super combination.
Dec 22, 2018 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
That fight at the start was pretty good, to think Kirito was able to hurt that guy with a chain. Seems these "Synthesis knights" have their brains washed. Same goes for Alice in this case. Kirito and Eugeo seemed to be able to bring back Eldrie's memories, for a short time before being interupted by the mysterious red armoured guy.

The talk with Cardinal was quite the infomation dump (I will prob rewatch this to get a better grasp of it)...

Also... Bring back the UMU Meme!
Dec 22, 2018 11:20 AM

Jul 2017
idk but this ep really made me irritated. most likely the worst ep to date. (to me at least)

i could go into details why but like to much of a pain to write fully.
Dec 22, 2018 11:23 AM

Jun 2014
A very info-heavy episode, but there were a lot of interesting revelations. I might go back and rewatch this episode to make sure I fully understand everything.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 22, 2018 11:25 AM

Jun 2017
The underworld runs with japanese as common language and english as system language. This is why I recommend watching this particular anime in sub instead of waiting for dub for dub watchers. It is hard to imagine how they are going to explain it in dub when everything is in english.
Dec 22, 2018 11:39 AM

Jun 2017
So if 4 humans raised 8 baby "souls" or fluctlights or whatever they're called, are the kids of those also souls/fluctlights of real kids or are they just pure AIs?
Dec 22, 2018 11:42 AM

Jul 2015
No episode next week, if anyone curious.

Dec 22, 2018 11:58 AM
Jan 2016
Good Episode!

So they really fight with chains, Eldrie used a whip, Eldrie had to use their ocult power, named Release recollection to beat Kirito and Eogeo, interesting when Eogeo rembered him about her memories and he was confused and shocked, so Alice had a purple cube hiding her memories!

We meet Cardinal that saved Kirito and Eogeo from the secong knight trying to kill them!

I am satisfied with that amount of information we received, now we know how theiy create that world and the origins of Tabu Codex!

Sadly we didn't saw Alice this episode!
Dec 22, 2018 12:33 PM
Dec 2018
Damn the episode was good but I didn't expect this that the library owner was cardinal i could've read the novel but didn't coz the anime was getting out soon so i tried alot to avoid spoilers but i thought that the lady called administrator was actually called cardinal but when i saw this i was like whaat then also the administrator being like all evil and all for power gave me feel something like madara of naruto don't know why was it so messed up but ep was good
Dec 22, 2018 12:40 PM
Aug 2013
Hmm interesting, what stuck out the most for me in this episode, is the mentioning of the 2 super accounts wich can be used from the outside world and have godlike authority. That gives Asuna a way to enter the game.

Otherwise, I love how quientella got her administrator powers, its like one of my favourite dreams to enter a multiplayer game and stumble by accident or narrowing it down over the command list and actually be able to use it (without hacking obviously).
Dec 22, 2018 12:46 PM
Oct 2012
Great EP, i love the reveal of mysteries and information in this Arc tbh.

AdrianRubinsky said:
It seems the world was hijacked by a NPC and nobody from outside figured it out? Does it even have an outside puppetmaster? For what?

Based on the Cardinal story, it will be hard to imagine one bad guy from outside fooling the entire staff of scientists controlling the system...

... or we are heading for a total conspiracy that the entire staff knows, with the exception of Asuna and Kirito, which will be the worst case for the storyline and cringeworthy

from what we learn in anime so far, the original 4 only teach the kids what's good and what's bad and such like a real parent teach their children.
while that 1 guy who is probably the same suspicious researcher from last EP, ( they have the same hair style too ) teach his kid badly, creating the ancestors of the nobles in UW.

but at this point there was only some what's good and what's bad rule. not the taboo index.
Taboo index with all it's rule like Don't murder don't hunt and so on.
or the rules about nobles having better rights. are made by Quineilla/Administarator.

now if i gonna say a bit from the novel,

5Sunstorm said:
So if 4 humans raised 8 baby "souls" or fluctlights or whatever they're called, are the kids of those also souls/fluctlights of real kids or are they just pure AIs?

in then novel it was explained that they scan 16 baby. they compare ! they were 99.8% or something alike !
they determined that 0.02% is from the difference of babies in the Womb and such. so they determined the "Soul" of all babies are exactly the same, what make us humans different is our parent's teaching and the place we will live.
then they removed that 0.02% difference and created a Baby Soul Template.
the 16 baby are blank baby soul template as well as ALL the other babies that were born in UnderWorld afterward.
the different is each 4 of these 16 baby had a different parent. and the 4 kid from the "bad guy" get his greedy and power hungry behavior and also teach the same to their kids and so on ... creating the generations of nobles in the end.

Lelouch0202 said:

this part about how one of them passed down 'selfish' traits seems strange to me. Assuming the original Taboo Index was a code of ethics, how was he able to pass down unethical traits down into his successors? I guess it was more of a 'hint' rather than a 'rule' at that point since it looks like the rules were only made later.

that guy did not just go in the world and teach them "Be Selfish" or such xD he live with the kids until they grow for 18 years or something.
his own characteristic and traits of being selfish was shown to his kids and they learn from him.

let me say it like this, I am just giving an example :
if the villagers were for example sharing the work, and his kids were responsible for getting fruits, he would tell his kids to bring the best fruit to him or hide the larger portion for their own family, before sharing the rest with others !

or such a behaviors like this, this made the kids also learn to be selfish and power hungry from their father's behavior.

and yeh u are right about the rules, taboo index and rules were made later by Quineilla and back then it was not like that. i explained a bit more above in my comment too.
Dec 22, 2018 12:47 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. With action and exposition about the origin of taboo index. The appearance of Cardinal and backstory of the Administrator. They give us insight of how the underworld is today. The fight was short but it was fantastic, we see the little power of integrity knight. And sneek peek of release recollection. Overall its a great episode, no episode next week. The next episode is on jan 5 the last chapter of book. And the new book or start of second cour is on jan 12.

Dec 22, 2018 12:48 PM

May 2016
Nice episode overall loved the way the drew out that stuff of that 31 knight head.
Dec 22, 2018 1:31 PM

Jul 2017
Oh boy can't wait for the glorious sakuga fest in the coming episodes

Also lol at Kirito (before he ate) just casually having a conversation even though his stomach had been slashed and he had an arrow to his foot

Mattinator95 said:
Well it's episode 12 out of 48/50 2nd cour looks like it's where it will pick up a bit

Epiosde 13 will be the end of the first chapter on the 5th and the 2nd will start on the 12th January

( but some are saying there isn't a episode till 12th Jan )

Anyways that answers how kitro could wield the sword after the goblin fight sort and most likely be a party thing included as well which is why egueo could use it two .

And why no one els in the underworld could easily level up the authority is becouse hunting and killing increases it and well so it what outlawed Intresting .

Remmber kitro spent 1.5 years in the underworld at a academy so of course he's gonna know a few system commands/magic

I was thinking it was gonna be ~50ish episodes at first, but given the pace, I'm thinking it might be around ~27ish episodes. A lot of the segments after this whole administrator conflict and a bit after are mostly just fighting, which may or may not be animated quickly depending on A1

Kirasaya said:
Hmm interesting, what stuck out the most for me in this episode, is the mentioning of the 2 super accounts wich can be used from the outside world and have godlike authority. That gives Asuna a way to enter the game.

Not just Asuna my friend ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Short_CircutDec 22, 2018 1:34 PM
Dec 22, 2018 1:35 PM

Jan 2016
I liked the episode because it gave me answers to things that I critiqued during the early episodes. It was clever and left me satisfied. It baffles me how this is SAO, because this feels like a completely different show somehow, which is not a bad thing
Dec 22, 2018 2:10 PM
Jul 2012
@Short_Circut It is confirmed ~50eps. 27 are barely enough to finish the Administrator battle, let alone the whole arc...
There is 1 more expositions episode(next one), then like 5 eps of pure fighting, then some more development and fighting, another 3 eps of pure fighting and the final battle with Admin alone should span around 3 episodes...

FireFistYK said:
I liked the episode because it gave me answers to things that I critiqued during the early episodes. It was clever and left me satisfied. It baffles me how this is SAO, because this feels like a completely different show somehow, which is not a bad thing

FINALLY SOMEONE GETS IT!

Dec 22, 2018 2:42 PM

Feb 2013
That was a great episode. Loved to see the backstory of the Underworld, Taboo Index and the rules which was revealed to be Quinella.
Dec 22, 2018 4:06 PM

Jan 2011
moment i realized who was voicing Cardinal was like "wish she'd say umu" and bam best part of the episode for me

was decent backstory didn't think we'd see the "ruler" of the Sim so soon.
Dec 22, 2018 4:20 PM

Mar 2016
Taboo Index has an interesting backstory. I am surprised I was able to keep my suspension of disbelief.

I hope the administrator doesn't become a part of Kirito's harem. She should just become old again and accept her death.

One of the four people that had logged in were evil. Seriously? Only one of the people from Rath was evil? lol.

I love rooms filled with books. The smell is so relaxing that it makes me buy more books than I will ever read.
Dec 22, 2018 4:59 PM

Sep 2017
FuMomo-kun said:
Taboo Index has an interesting backstory. I am surprised I was able to keep my suspension of disbelief.

I hope the administrator doesn't become a part of Kirito's harem. She should just become old again and accept her death.

One of the four people that had logged in were evil. Seriously? Only one of the people from Rath was evil? lol.

I love rooms filled with books. The smell is so relaxing that it makes me buy more books than I will ever read.
Relax dude she wont. Kirito, Eugeo and Alice will fight her in the final battle
Dec 22, 2018 5:42 PM

Jul 2016
zalapeno said:
FuMomo-kun said:

Relax dude she wont. Kirito, Eugeo and Alice will fight her in the final battle
dont mind hes just joking. But i see what you did there.

Dec 22, 2018 5:43 PM

Jun 2014
This episode was just an exposition dump to introduce the [supposed] main villain, who at this time isnt even relevant yet.
Dec 22, 2018 6:19 PM

Mar 2016
''Administrator''? That a bold choice for a name. More like a mod you mean.
Dec 22, 2018 7:17 PM

Oct 2015
That Quinella sure has a beautiful and unique name, I really love it!

So she's the Administrator in that world, wow! She was awesome, although I think she's the antagonist of the series. She even created the Taboo index, but I wonder who really she is? I'm really loving the story right now, especially the way it uncovers the mystery of that world.

Great episode,
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 22, 2018 8:09 PM

Feb 2018
Is the administrator on a level with the god? Was Quinella originally a human from the real world like Kirito?
Dec 22, 2018 11:17 PM
Jan 2018
Shirokuza said:
Is the administrator on a level with the god? Was Quinella originally a human from the real world like Kirito?

Did you miss the part where she was born in the underworld
Dec 23, 2018 12:12 AM

Feb 2018
Mattinator95 said:
Shirokuza said:

Did you miss the part where she was born in the underworld
Maybe, okay I'll watch it again.
Dec 23, 2018 12:24 AM
Jun 2017
I'm glad they didn't end up going back to prison even if they technically lost. I wonder if Eldrie and other Integrity Knights also broke a Taboo or if they were captured and turned simply because they were good.
Dec 23, 2018 1:34 AM

Dec 2013
Cardinal's VA is pretty good. So we got an info-packed episode, main villian(?) Quinella is pretty crooked at a young age killing baby foxes to level up. I hope she stays that way
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Dec 23, 2018 1:48 AM

Sep 2017
Yeap, pretty much called it last time. Kirito and Eugeo got beat in the fight and
The Church was the one behind missing memories and created the taboo index to keep everyone in check from ever reaching higher power.

I wonder how they're gonna deal with what basically is a Goddess of the world.
Maybe Kirito is gonna to learn all the commands? if not, the only way is by outside help.

Good info, ep. on the lore of the taboo index.
(*・‿・)ノ⌒*:・゚✧
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» My enjoyment of Alice is kinda ruined because of Darkness from Konosuba

BigBoyAdvance - Mar 24

11 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 24, 10:33 PM

» Anyone else lowkey prefer Alice to Asuna?

Marinate1016 - Jun 25, 2019

47 by Marinate1016 »»
Mar 24, 11:38 AM

» Kirito needs medical help cause this man’s been through it all

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 11

32 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 14, 9:57 AM

» I just finished this and ""O MY GOD ""

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Mar 2

43 by Fenyy »»
Mar 5, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

190 by fssf1606 »»
Feb 12, 2:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.