Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 18, 2018 7:58 AM

Aug 2018
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
DaCraziGuy said:

You are kidding me right? It has all the elements of a super robot, with that logic the EVAs from evangelion aren't robots either. They look like robots and act like robots, you can say what "in theory" is but clearly has all the features of a super robot... smh

There is a clear difference where yes technically the EVAs are biological creatures so technically not "robots" but they are still piloted by people.

Gridman and Ultraman are just straight up people transforming into giants. It'd be like calling Antman a super robot.

Antman doesn't look like a robot, doesn't fight kaijus nor other robots, he doesn't shoot beams from his arms and he doesn't use the magical super shounen weapons like the sword that a super robot uses. This has all the apeals of the genre... just because it's "an alien" that fuses with the "pilot" doesn't make all the other points invalid.
Oct 18, 2018 9:53 AM

Oct 2018
Loving all these Yuusha and Obari references. It's really obvious how much Amemiya and Mutaguchi love the genre.
Oct 18, 2018 10:21 AM

Jan 2013
MaceChan said:
Loving all these Yuusha and Obari references. It's really obvious how much Amemiya and Mutaguchi love the genre.
This is pretty much Amemiya's Yuusha (or Brave)/Obari fanfic.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 18, 2018 11:17 AM

Apr 2018
I didn't hear any B A B Y D A N D A N so I'm slightly disappointed, but we got feet and a dude turned into a giant sword, so whatever.

Oct 18, 2018 1:00 PM

Sep 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

There is a clear difference where yes technically the EVAs are biological creatures so technically not "robots" but they are still piloted by people.

Gridman and Ultraman are just straight up people transforming into giants. It'd be like calling Antman a super robot.

Antman doesn't look like a robot, doesn't fight kaijus nor other robots, he doesn't shoot beams from his arms and he doesn't use the magical super shounen weapons like the sword that a super robot uses. This has all the apeals of the genre... just because it's "an alien" that fuses with the "pilot" doesn't make all the other points invalid.

Okay fine ditch the Antman comparison. Would you like to address the Ultraman comparison now?
Oct 18, 2018 2:02 PM

Aug 2018
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Okay fine ditch the Antman comparison. Would you like to address the Ultraman comparison now?

I haven't seen Ultraman, I only heard that it was a show kinda like power ranger and those kind of japanesse shows(sentai if I remember correctly, not sure). But I told you what things it shares with the super robot genre, and that is almost everything.I think you might call it super robot sentai if you want, because it shares some elements of both genres. One thing doesn't take out the other.
Oct 18, 2018 7:58 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008

Nice chart! The guy with the garden hoe was funny too XD Also when I see pose like this I always think of that scene in orphen lol.

I was wondering what anime was the one in column 1, row 11? (if you know it).. cheers

Oct 18, 2018 8:26 PM

Sep 2011
DaCraziGuy said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

I haven't seen Ultraman, I only heard that it was a show kinda like power ranger and those kind of japanesse shows(sentai if I remember correctly, not sure). But I told you what things it shares with the super robot genre, and that is almost everything.I think you might call it super robot sentai if you want, because it shares some elements of both genres. One thing doesn't take out the other.

Okay first off, sentai is not a genre. Sentai is the Japanese series Power Rangers is based on.

Second, yes Ultraman/Gridman have their share of tropes that overlap with Super Robot series. These same tropes also overlap a lot with shonen battle series. The key difference is that Ultraman, Gridman, and most shonen battle series don't have giant robots. It is a fundamental fact that a super robot series has to have a robot.
Oct 18, 2018 9:24 PM

Oct 2014
Actually, the original gridman is a mecha genre, of course the main character is not a mecha, but the equipment and the vehicle is a mecha, the equipment itself can transform into a robot without a pilot and using AI to move by itself
Oct 19, 2018 12:48 AM

May 2013
Honestly watching this for the fantastic side of this anime that is the 90% of each episode that has nothing to do with the cg fight scenes. Even those I can appreciate for what they are, but character interactions feel so natural, pacing feels solid, heck this show is just subtly solid. The score is baffling to me.
Oct 19, 2018 5:09 AM

May 2016
Wow, Gridman is popular in Jp afterall :p

Can't believe it's the most trend anime at the moment.
Oct 19, 2018 5:10 AM

May 2016
fuusen_gum said:
A few hours ago, Gridman 2 got into rank 1 on japan twitter trending topic, following with Goblin Slayer on 2nd and SAO on 4th, https://twitter.com/Masayoshi_Oishi/status/1051161324137267201

Gobling Slayer got beat hard...
Oct 19, 2018 5:49 AM

Jul 2016
This episode feels a lot more like a Trigger work than the first one so that gives me hope in more development in future episodes.

As for the characters eh I can't say they're something unique or new but this is just the second episode there are still many to come.

The main antagonist seems like a psycho which is likely to be explored as the show goes on.
Oct 19, 2018 8:26 AM

Mar 2016
Seems that Trigger this time goes straight for the point instead of surprising us...
Oct 19, 2018 3:28 PM

Mar 2017
So Inferno Cop is working with cute-but-crazy Akane to administer Justice to the cities residence, turns out the Gridman alliance are the bad guys.

Also why the hell is Inferno Cops name Alexis? Alexa, play the Gridman Opening.

P.S. Everyones on about Akane being best but we all know the real best girl is Rikka's thicc AF thighs, get real guys. Don't stick your dick in crazy, although I'm jealous of that monitor she kicked in. Oof.
Oct 21, 2018 3:29 AM

May 2016
So, I've already seen a fair number of Kamen Rider and Super Sentai shows, and I plan on giving Metal Heroes a try soon, but as of recent, I've been interested in giving Ultraman a try later on. As for Gridman, I'll say it's good, but boring at first.

>Just like Power Rangers, but more anime like
Oct 22, 2018 7:51 AM

Jan 2017
Out of all the villanous things you can do with a kaiju, you use it to kill your teacher?

Hope there's more to it in this show.
Oct 22, 2018 4:51 PM

Feb 2012
So was it a memory wipe (for Tonkawa's friends) and a memory insert (for Tonkawa's father) or was it a reality bending time travel thing? If it was the former then how was the school rebuilt.

Either way, wow Akane, all that for a hot dog?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Oct 22, 2018 5:28 PM

Apr 2018
Anybody else getting major Hoshi no Samidare vibes from the Kaiju off in the distance?
Do you remember… the flower we saw that day?
Oct 24, 2018 7:27 AM

Oct 2017
Trigger is finally back to its full force!

Likable characters, interesting setting, interesting premises, ridiculous yet surprisingly dark setting (people got wiped out from existent when died, it's a great tool to create drama later on), and more importantly, gorgeous animation. (even though it's CG)

This show is definitely not for the newer / younger generation of anime watchers (they like tropey battle shonen / isekai/ pretentious show that try to be all serious), but for older generation it's definitely a breath of fresh air throughout the anime industry in recent year.

Fxxk that hot pretentious garbage which is Darling in the Franxx (Trigger's worst show hands down). I'm rooting for Gritman despite all the hate it got right now.
I almost dismissed this show because Mal tricked me into thinking this is a bad show with their pretentious rating.
Oct 24, 2018 7:41 AM

Oct 2017
Sm0ggy said:
Did Trigger forget to add background music in this show? It's really weird that in two chapters I barely heard any music except for the battle sequences.

Hey, it's almost intentional to make a contrast of subtle awkward silence of music and then pumping battle music kicks in.

Fate Heaven's Feel did the same thing yet I don't see people complaining.
Oct 24, 2018 1:13 PM

Jan 2013
Ventus_S said:
Trigger is finally back to its full force!

Likable characters, interesting setting, interesting premises, ridiculous yet surprisingly dark setting (people got wiped out from existent when died, it's a great tool to create drama later on), and more importantly, gorgeous animation. (even though it's CG)

This show is definitely not for the newer / younger generation of anime watchers (they like tropey battle shonen / isekai/ pretentious show that try to be all serious), but for older generation it's definitely a breath of fresh air throughout the anime industry in recent year.

Fxxk that hot pretentious garbage which is Darling in the Franxx (Trigger's worst show hands down). I'm rooting for Gritman despite all the hate it got right now.
I almost dismissed this show because Mal tricked me into thinking this is a bad show with their pretentious rating.
This one also has them, classic tokusatsu and super robot tropes.
Anyway come on, you know you shouldn't trust MAL scores.
Whether they be high or low.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 25, 2018 2:04 AM

Jul 2008
So the city gets magically restored and anyone who died is just wiped from everyone's memories....that truly sucks.

Oct 27, 2018 9:36 AM

Oct 2013
This is like Stranger Things meets Digimon meets Super Sentai meets Evangelion... I like it. I like it a lot.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 29, 2018 9:48 AM
Jan 2017
Okay, now I’m invested. Because I wanna see that bitch Akane die a painful death.
Oct 29, 2018 10:40 PM

Jan 2013
that purple hair girl is a psycho

and I like it
Oct 30, 2018 1:09 AM
Oct 2018
ssss.GRIDMAN IS amazing it's story character and it's theme
Oct 31, 2018 5:19 PM

Dec 2010
Much better than the first episode. Characters are pretty good and likeable. I also like the background music or the lack of it. The main plot is kinda meh/cliche but the rest works pretty decent so far.

quercifolia said:

Nice chart! The guy with the garden hoe was funny too XD Also when I see pose like this I always think of that scene in orphen lol.

I was wondering what anime was the one in column 1, row 11? (if you know it).. cheers

Classic pose. There should be a hentai episode with this pose. Who am I even kidding? There are already things like this I suppose.
Nov 1, 2018 3:17 PM

Dec 2015
Still a very light thing. Probably to stay true to the original?

I feel like I would be far more invested already if I had seen the original show before devlving into thét one, just like I tried to do when SSSS was announced. (I ended not not doing it due to the lack of a translated version)

3/5

Xenogears1989 said:

Yes I did...BABY DAN DAN

It's a bit too late since I aleady started SSS but would you mind to say wich version and where, please?
Rei_IIINov 3, 2018 9:06 AM
Nov 1, 2018 4:10 PM

Jul 2014
Just two episodes in and I'm flabbergasted it hasn't become a ghost city yet
Nov 9, 2018 9:51 PM

Aug 2018
This series could go either was. I already have crushes on Rikka and Akane. I like bad girls.
Nov 10, 2018 2:53 AM
Oct 2012
Rei366 said:
Still a very light thing. Probably to stay true to the original?

I feel like I would be far more invested already if I had seen the original show before devlving into thét one, just like I tried to do when SSSS was announced. (I ended not not doing it due to the lack of a translated version)

3/5

Xenogears1989 said:

Yes I did...BABY DAN DAN

It's a bit too late since I aleady started SSS but would you mind to say wich version and where, please?

I apologize for the super late reply as I barely use MAL nowadays, you can watch the original on the Toku tv network available through Amazon
Nov 16, 2018 2:06 AM

Dec 2012
Wahahaha that Samurai dude pretending he was okay but not XD

Nov 17, 2018 4:46 AM

May 2016
Fuck Akane is the bad guy...

Really enjoyed it and seems getting better according to the scores.
Nov 17, 2018 3:12 PM

Jul 2016
Some of the dialogs felt a little awkward again, for me at least. I also was expecting some major concern when they found out those girls were dead... well, at least, Rikka was a little more convincent about it than Yuta and co.
The battle segment was good tho, it was entertaining to watch.

So, Akane is the villian of the show... I don't really know how to take the fact that she killed the girls from the first ep. just because one of them (who reminds me of Ritsu from K-On!, by the way) accidentally ruined that "Special Dog" with a ball... and now, she wanted to kill her professor for bumping into her and not apologizing for that...
So far, I will assume that she is nothing but a psychopath I mean, she has killed lots of people and acts like it's all just a game so yeah, I'll assume that rather than thinks she's just an idiot.
Dec 7, 2018 4:25 PM
Nov 2018
This was a thrilling episode, very good!
Jan 23, 2019 8:31 AM

Dec 2016
Never would've thought that Akane would be the villain
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 23, 2019 1:47 PM

May 2012
Nice development in both story and character to be honest, the fights are as epic as you can expect from tokusatsu fights and that in the form of Anime made by Trigger!

The original OP was still better though! BABY DAN DAN!!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6nXAc4nw00

Well looking forwards to see what's next.
Apr 24, 2019 10:29 PM
Apr 2008
I'm surprised there's no Google mention of how Gridman's sword equip sequence was just like Gundam SEED/GS Destiny's. Specifically Strike/Impulse.
May 24, 2019 12:41 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
That's a no from me dawg, she's a complete lunatic. I guess, that what happens when you sink way too much into the Godzilla fandom, she's having the city as her playground, that double-faced B-word.
I wonder what her relationship with the main trio would be.
Jun 4, 2019 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
Liked this episode a bit more than the first one. Seemed more interesting now that Akane is revealed to be the villain. Will be interested in seeing the next episode.
Dec 29, 2019 8:24 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Ok it was actually good, I already like Akane
Feb 18, 2020 4:47 PM

Jun 2015
So that girl and Alexis are the Takeshi-Kahn Digifer of the anime.
Yuta got the Accepter! ACCEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESS FLASH!! More references in this episode.
Instead of 3d models, kaijus in this series are made from clay figures. Interesting. Sorta explains the real world approach they're having here
Apr 4, 2020 8:58 AM

Mar 2010
Whoa I actually enjoyed this episode. I guess the hurdle of a new anime I semi gone, and now enjoyment awaits. good to see my girl Rikka.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 13, 2020 10:08 AM
Jan 2018
I'm getting power ranger vibes lol ,

Also I don't mind the no music in the background I think it adds to the atmosphere in the series , beside not every show live action or animated needs music in the background all the time, it's suitable for the right moments like the battles

Anyway so gridman and the other one are Virtual entity's

Also the basic of the series seems to be like Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad
Mattinator95May 13, 2020 10:55 AM
May 15, 2020 8:42 PM

May 2020
Summary, this is new tech of Ultraman or we can called it Ultraman Modern. This is interesting. Still unknown who is the white short-hairy girl who create the monster but in the ending she is friending with Rikka. It was already started to enjoy this. Mostly to the ED youthful beautiful. It was really great song.
Sep 21, 2020 4:55 PM
Jun 2013
I will admit while I kind of saw akane bein a villain cause the crazy eyes in the first episode and now this one I still thought that dude in all black would still be a villain since he sort of reminded me of the villain from superhuman samurai. Also akane has some serious problems as her room must stink to high heaven and she summons giant monsters just to kill people she wants dead.
Oct 4, 2020 11:29 AM

Apr 2013
So still a lot of mystery about Gridman and Samurai-san, but we now know that Akane is behind these attacks. Whoever annoys me will get on her death list I guess.
Jan 15, 2021 11:09 PM

Mar 2014
So Akane's got a really twisted personality under the surface, and she's using her villain powers to literally murder/erase from the present anyone who slights her. Even last episode, the girls that got erased were the volleyball players who knocked the sandwich out of her hand in class!

I'm really intrigued by Calibur. Those bags under his eyes as he said to "keep doing what you can do" really shows that he's been through some shit too.
Mar 9, 2021 12:46 AM

Mar 2010
Happy the Samurai guy ain't evil and it is awesome that hes actually a sword. That evil girl is a crazy psychopath.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.