Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2018 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The opening song is alright, wasn't anything too groundbreaking but works for this show. It featured a variety of characters, mech, etc.

It seems the show has characters wondering about Gridman. Yuuta himself doesn't understand it too well either. But for what's worth, that mech definitely has the power to take down monsters and reminds me of more and more of Ultraman.

Plot still feels rather mysterious imo. I kinda like the diversity in the monster designs.
Oct 13, 2018 8:51 AM
Oct 2012
Still wish they would have used a modern version of Yume no Hero instead for the opening, the original would have been great as well, hope they still use it as an insert song at some point *wishful thinking*

Can't wait to see God Zenon and his new combinations with Gridman in action
Xenogears1989Oct 13, 2018 9:02 AM
Oct 13, 2018 10:31 AM

Jun 2013
So the opening is really the song that played during the action scene in the first episode. I don't like much of the action visuals there but I love the song and the presentation of the characters.

Yodomura was in charge of the ending, and I personally think he did a great job on it.
https://twitter.com/dowagers/status/1051148011433222145

Muta Okuro (牟田口裕基, not sure if that's how you read his name) did some great genga in this episode as well, he did the Gridman's caliber cut.

I think it was a pretty good episode, the action was pretty exciting, some new characters were introduced. I kinda had a feeling Akane is going to be a villain, at least for now I guess, I love her design. Samurai Caliber is pretty funny.
MrMushinOct 13, 2018 10:52 AM
Oct 13, 2018 10:55 AM
Oct 2012
MrMushin said:
So the opening is really the song that played during the action scene in the first episode. I don't like much of the action visuals there but I love the song and the presentation of the characters.

Yodomura was in charge of the ending, and I personally think he did a great job on it.
https://twitter.com/dowagers/status/1051148011433222145

Muta Okuro (牟田口裕基, not sure if that's how you read his name) did some great genga in this episode as well, he did the Gridman's caliber cut.

I think it was a pretty good episode, the action was pretty exciting, some new characters were introduced. I kinda had a feeling Akane is going to be a villain, at least for now I guess, I love her design. Samurai Caliber is pretty funny.

That is quite a nice Obari Pose
Oct 13, 2018 11:12 AM

Jul 2015
Samurai dude is funny as hell. The way he always crashes with the door is hilarious. The villain chick pisses me off
Oct 13, 2018 11:16 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
so best girl is fucking insane

NICE...

ps: she can kick me any day with those sexy feet XD
Oct 13, 2018 11:25 AM

Jan 2009
so that means the black attired people on the OP are all weapons of Gridman

and lol Akane is the villain i did not expect that

Rikka is really best girl material
Oct 13, 2018 11:37 AM

Jun 2016

Welp, this explains the last part of Darling in the FranXX.
NoumuOct 13, 2018 11:42 AM
Oct 13, 2018 11:41 AM

Jan 2009
Noumu said:

Welp, this explains the last part of Darling in the FranXX.

lol

but people should stop saying Darling in the FranXX is a Trigger show already really, because the director of it is not from Trigger so much of the production decisions of it that includes the story is not by Trigger
Oct 13, 2018 11:49 AM

Jul 2017
Solid episode. The OP was decent, the characters still have nice chemistry.

Samurai dude was great.
Oct 13, 2018 12:05 PM

Feb 2017
Akane is insane, I like her. Tho I am still not feeling this show.
Oct 13, 2018 12:07 PM

Jan 2017
Not sure how to feel about the fact that the villain is a girl that gets offended easily. Hopefully that will develop into something better, I think this show has potential to be at least decent if they work out the conflict to have more impact.
Oct 13, 2018 12:17 PM

Dec 2017
well, it got a bit interesting from the last episode. i'm liking the samurai dude, his stuttering makes his gloomy appearance look funny
Oct 13, 2018 12:29 PM
Oct 2016
seems like a decent show so far, was interested with the missing people drama
Oct 13, 2018 12:33 PM

Mar 2016
Had a huge smile on my face throughout the opening. Man, I'm crossing my fingers that they don't screw this up, because I'm really liking it.
Oct 13, 2018 12:37 PM
Feb 2017
Liked it very much. there are good mystery and drama in this and very cool character designs. the face animation is off sometimes, you have to admit that but most of it os very solid and i think that a 12 episode count could actutally do this show good and keep it tight and benefit the main plot. can't wait for next week!
Oct 13, 2018 12:48 PM

Jan 2018
I'm realllly curious what that big twist in episode 3 is gonna be. I've heard theories, but I'm not sold on anything 100%. I can't help but be worried it might mess the show up, because what we have so far is a perfect super robot/tokusatsu throwback, and too much complexity miiiight be clumsy.
Oct 13, 2018 12:48 PM

Sep 2017
EcchiGodMamsterP said:

ps: she can kick me any day with those sexy feet XD

ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.
Oct 13, 2018 12:59 PM

Sep 2017
I'm quite attracted to Rikka's character. She looks really like a real japanese high school girl. Has her own kind of nonchalant charm without falling into particular anime trope.

But I have to say this Trigger show seems to have pretty low budget by Trigger's standard. The background are all lacklustre CG. The character's animation is nowhere near the standard of LWA. The fight scene is OK but Trigger used to be much more than that. And even though narratively DitF failed spectacularly, the animation was still great. I wonder what's happening to Trigger after DitF.
Oct 13, 2018 1:11 PM

Dec 2011
Gridman and Kaijuu are too much mecha and I don't really like it.
Of course, I know they have to modernize Ultraman but it's too much in my opinion.
Oct 13, 2018 1:18 PM

Aug 2018
Bad CGI, clunky animation and boring characters. Not for me. Another things I don't like but are very subjective is, super robot<real robot and it's an episodic type of show.

I wonder if Darling left trigger in a debt because I'm surprised of how bad it looks, first time I complain about that in a trigger show.
Oct 13, 2018 1:22 PM

Mar 2016
Am I the only one not one bit fazed by the yandere revelation? I'm more like...I dunno where you came from, but bitch, you got problems if you think what that teacher did by accident to you warrants a death sentence
Oct 13, 2018 1:26 PM
Sep 2018
Akane is not a yandere(a girl obsessively in love with someone), shes a pure psychopath(loves no one but her) meaning a person who can kill for the simplest reasons or no reason at all. If you factor in no one can remember her murder victims it becomes horrifying trying to imagine how many people she has killed already. In this episode alone she has probably murdered at least 100 people that NO ONE WILL REMEMBER AT ALL.
Oct 13, 2018 1:28 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
OP is pretty nice and although the CG isn't the best, it could be worse, so I'm fine with it...But THIS was MUCH BETTER than the first episode

First of all, I thought it was really interesting to see that whenever people get killed from these Kaiju, not only do they die but their current existence gets somewhat erased too....Very curious to find out why that is the case

Secondly, I had no idea that the cheery girl was gonna end up being the antagonist and a total psychopath lol....I was horrified and stunned to see that she's the source of all this carnage and chaos and that she kills for so little reasons but I'm here for it xD

Thirdly, the creepy samurai dude is pretty cool and is a nice guy too and I really liked how he can also merge with Gridman as well....I wasn't sure if he's an alien or not but I hope that we'll get to learn more about him and his people (If he really is an alien)...The fight scene was pretty good (Especially since our bad girl prepared for them this time)

Great episode overall, and I find myself liking the chemistry between the 3 leads even more this time around (Kinda ship the MC and the dark haired girl too but I feel like there's more to their relationship pre-episode 1 than she's letting on)
Oct 13, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
Everyone keeps calling this a mecha anime and it's making me depressed. Watch some Tokusatsu shows dammit.
Oct 13, 2018 1:34 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
DaCraziGuy said:
Bad CGI, clunky animation and boring characters. Not for me. Another things I don't like but are very subjective is, super robot<real robot and it's an episodic type of show.

I wonder if Darling left trigger in a debt because I'm surprised of how bad it looks, first time I complain about that in a trigger show.
I don't think you know the meaning of episodic because the events of the first episode clearly came over into this one and quite heavily too

Now if you meant "monster of the week" then yes I guess this show will seemingly go into that direction but that's not what being episodic means either
Oct 13, 2018 1:38 PM

Sep 2011
This was awesome, and I loved both the OP and the ED too!

When I first saw the school restored on the next day I was afraid that this was going to be like a shounen with no stakes, in which people would "die" to just appear again like nothing happened, but it got dark fast with the way people's memories are erased, and the victims dying for real in 'another way'.

I'm also surprised that Akane is the antagonist, if she wanted to kill that teacher for bumping into her, and not saying that he was sorry, then it's safe to assume that she killed the volleyball girls for ruining the sandwich she gave to Yuuta. She seems to be a psychopath who celebrated their deaths, and doesn't seem to mind killing people at all.

I also really liked the Samurai Calibur, he's really cool, and now I'm hoping that Rikka, and Utsumi are going to be able to help Yuuta, and Gridman when they are fighting just like he did by becoming that sword or something, it would be really cool! I mean, Utsumi already helped a bit in the first episode, and I just loved how just when Yuta was asking himself if what he was doing had meaning, he bumped into the same teacher that Akane wanted to kill, but this time the teacher said that he was sorry, so he saved him from her, and it somehow changed the teacher too! A really good episode, I want more!
FayrinOct 20, 2018 3:46 PM
Oct 13, 2018 1:42 PM

Jan 2009
Fayrin said:

When I first saw the school restored on the next day I was afraid that this was going to be like a shounen with no stakes, in which people would "die" to just appear again like nothing happened, but it got dark fast with the way people's memories are erased, and the victims dying for real in 'another way'.

dont count on them dying for good if the main plot of this revolves around what i heard that will be revealed in episode 3

Oct 13, 2018 1:54 PM

Aug 2018
Tokoya said:
I don't think you know the meaning of episodic because the events of the first episode clearly came over into this one and quite heavily too

Now if you meant "monster of the week" then yes I guess this show will seemingly go into that direction but that's not what being episodic means either

Well, episodic for me is they repeat they "same formula" every episode. It has some real progression tho, so the episodes are related. But I think this is closer to an episodic type of show instead of a linear one.
Oct 13, 2018 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
Well at face value it looks like a mecha but I know that it isn't really a mecha. With that being said, the second episode was more interesting than the first so far, mainly because of Akane as a character. I feel fascinated with her character and the characterization when it comes to her end of the stick.

At least with this episode I can stick with it a little bit more before making a conclusion.
Oct 13, 2018 2:52 PM

Jan 2018
GemTastical said:
Everyone keeps calling this a mecha anime and it's making me depressed. Watch some Tokusatsu shows dammit.

This really just depends on your definition of "mecha." Gridman is a giant, humanoid, broadly speaking mechanical entity, and I personally think that's enough. Keep in mind, genres don't come with hard and fast rules and are largely prescriptive.
Oct 13, 2018 4:32 PM

Oct 2014
DaCraziGuy said:

Well that cannot be the Case since the show was already in production when Darling aired (heck it got announced at the same time as Darling) and completed when this season began.
This is more a case of "Different ppl working on the show".
Oct 13, 2018 4:36 PM

Mar 2016
I'm surprised at how many people are saying
Oct 13, 2018 4:42 PM

Jan 2013
Clean your damn room Akane.
And heh calling the cg animation clunky, you guys do realize that they're replicating people in rubber suits right? You know, a staple of tokusatsu.

Agreed.
And a nice callback to Exkaiser (another Brave anime) as well.:
Better add it to the ever growing collection:
Read an interview where Amemiya said that the mechanical animation is a throwback/love leter to Mr. Obari, his works and the anime he worked on.

There's also a nice reference to 2005's Gaiking's 2nd or 1st OP (can't remember which) towards the end of it, both Amemiya and Mr. Obari worked on it:
One for Dangaioh:
And one for Gravion:
CabronOct 13, 2018 4:51 PM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 13, 2018 4:50 PM

Jan 2013
Bourmegar said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Well that cannot be the Case since the show was already in production when Darling aired (heck it got announced at the same time as Darling) and completed when this season began.
Exactly, a quick google search would let you know that studios aren't a single entity; they all have different staff.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 13, 2018 5:03 PM

Jun 2016
Jessiegg said:
I'm surprised at how many people are saying
The question is: for how long?
Oct 13, 2018 5:12 PM
Jul 2018
Gotten more interesting than the first episode for sure still some mysteries element don't pleased me yet. Also I am surprised to see Akane as villain. While this whole really seems to take reference to the classic sentai shows that I used to watch and her role reminds me of those cartoony villains. Also awkward most of the time is bgm-less/silent mode which kind of ruins engaging factor and the animation is really meh (especially OP sequence pretty lackluster..) except the fight scenes.
Oct 13, 2018 5:34 PM

Mar 2014
lmao the interactions between each character are interesting, and the anime has the best character designs of this season.
I think this series is a combination of Ultraman & Legend Da-Garn
ButtSlapperOct 13, 2018 5:48 PM
Oct 13, 2018 5:55 PM

Aug 2018
Bourmegar said:
DaCraziGuy said:

Oh, thanks for the info !
Oct 13, 2018 5:57 PM

Sep 2013
I'm a bit bias when it comes to Trigger anime. Good show so far. Akane is a little psycho but I feel like she's not going to be the FINAL villain.

7/10 episode

Oct 13, 2018 6:08 PM

Aug 2017
A bit better than the first episode. Akane and that robot guy are the villains. Rikka's friends died but in this episode this happened a long time ago. Samurai Calibur is weird but helped a lot.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 13, 2018 6:51 PM
Apr 2013
Cabron said:
Clean your damn room Akane.
And heh calling the cg animation clunky, you guys do realize that they're replicating people in rubber suits right? You know, a staple of tokusatsu.

Read an interview where Amemiya said that the mechanical animation is a throwback/love leter to Mr. Obari, his works and the anime he worked on.

There's also a nice reference to 2005's Gaiking's 2nd or 1st OP (can't remember which) towards the end of it, both Amemiya and Mr. Obari worked on it:
One for Dangaioh:
And one for Gravion:

Thiiiis.

The beam and its counter reminded me so much of the classic terrible SFX from the old shows; it was great. But then I immediately thought that people would be complaining about cheap animation, and...

Kids these days / lawn / etc - it's supposed to look like that!

The only thing I really dislike about this show is all the rubbish bags in Akane's room. How can you leave so much mess around and yet still have them neatly arranged ahhh clean it up, damnit.
Oct 13, 2018 6:57 PM

Nov 2016
I Think the Purple Haired Loli is gonna be Some Kind or "Green Ranger" or "Sixth Ranger" Character.

The Op was really Good. Not the best this season but it was Nice. The Mech already got a power up with "Gridman Calibur". I know its just gonna be the classic "Sword for the Mech to sell more Toys" but its cool anyway.

For the People who Didn't get the "Sixth/green ranger" thing: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SixthRanger
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2018 7:03 PM

Jun 2016
zachfoss said:
Akane is a little psycho but I feel like she's not going to be the FINAL villain.
It's Trigger, of course she isn't.
Oct 13, 2018 8:14 PM

Oct 2014
Loving the second episode, it's good how they keep the original gridman content as much as they can, and the battle scene is really terrific
Oct 13, 2018 8:22 PM

Oct 2014
Xenogears89 said:
Still wish they would have used a modern version of Yume no Hero instead for the opening, the original would have been great as well, hope they still use it as an insert song at some point *wishful thinking*

Can't wait to see God Zenon and his new combinations with Gridman in action

I was hoping they will use Yume no Hero as an insert song on the final battle
Oct 13, 2018 8:30 PM

Jan 2018
I wasn't a huge fan of the first episode but this is definitely growing on me. Excited to see what comes next.
Oct 13, 2018 9:09 PM

Jul 2010
So the only thing interesting about this episode was Akane, still not really sold on the rest.
Oct 13, 2018 9:32 PM

Jan 2011
So these have been targeted attacks from Akane huh NOO why she gotta be evil so the reason volleyball girl died was because of her goofing around in the class room and crushing the sandwich anything can flip off Akane just like the teacher bumping into her

so i don't think them showing her off at episode 2 means shes the main baddie was a good bait and switch between her and mr.samurai turns out hes a good guy

looking like this is gonna be focused around the classmates for now though

liking this show doesn't seem to be a ton of buzz around it despite being a trigger show
Oct 13, 2018 9:46 PM

Oct 2014
A few hours ago, Gridman 2 got into rank 1 on japan twitter trending topic, following with Goblin Slayer on 2nd and SAO on 4th, https://twitter.com/Masayoshi_Oishi/status/1051161324137267201

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2018

390 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

102 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 4:37 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.