Forum Settings
Forums
Penguin Highway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 17, 2018 4:57 PM
Oct 2015
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
campa_Nov 5, 2023 4:48 PM
Aug 18, 2018 10:40 AM

Aug 2016
ColdNobility said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was an all around fun movie to watch. The characters felt distinct from each other and their interaction was quite interesting and funny to see. The music and animation can be pretty good at certain moments. The plot is kind of weird and doesnt make sense at times, maybe it took itself too seriously, but I dont think its worth thinking too much about it since its a character driven story and I feel like it did a job at what it was trying to do. 7/10 for me.
Where's episode 2? I want to know how it ends
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2018 9:46 AM
Sep 2018
whare can i watch this movie?
Sep 24, 2018 8:47 PM

May 2014
I'm so glad I decided to watch this movie. Enjoyed this one a lot. I think thinking about oppai when in stress or sadness is a pretty good advice lol xD The ending got me as well ;_; I definitely recommend this movie.
Nov 17, 2018 12:53 PM

Feb 2014
I'm glad I watched this movie. The bright colours are charming and the penguins are adorable! Tjere's also the Lady's oppai LOL! Pretty much I enjoyed the film.
Nov 21, 2018 8:47 AM

Oct 2012
Here in Italy it arrived on cinemas for two days. Went to watch it without any prior knowledge, and I loved it. Really curious about theories.
Feb 9, 2019 8:56 PM

Sep 2007
I thought this was a fun, 7/10 movie.

What I found most interesting is the lead character Ayoami. I felt he was very definitely on the autistic spectrum but it was handled in a very progressive, subtle way.

I can't remember this level of positive representation of mental health in any anime I've ever seen.
Feb 22, 2019 5:37 AM
Apr 2016
Jax said:
I thought this was a fun, 7/10 movie.

What I found most interesting is the lead character Ayoami. I felt he was very definitely on the autistic spectrum but it was handled in a very progressive, subtle way.

I can't remember this level of positive representation of mental health in any anime I've ever seen.

Yeah this is a lot of preposterous substance I am not willing to even try to rebuke.
Re:formed
Feb 22, 2019 9:02 AM
Jan 2013
I understood absolutely nothing in the end but I still enjoyed the movie a lot. Great animation, great characters that were very realistic imo, and great pacing. Not a single second of being bored during the almost two-hour watch.

So... Anyone wanna explain to me what she was or is that supposed to be up to one's own interpretation? Because I'm a big question mark over here.
Feb 22, 2019 9:57 AM

Jan 2015
Honestly, I wanted a sadder finale.

Anyaway, absolutely loved this movie
Feb 23, 2019 2:08 AM

May 2015
The moral of this story: if you are hopelessly in love with the boobs of a woman don't turn to drugs in your desperation otherwise you can easily lose touch with reality.Don't do drugs kids.
IshitatesoFeb 23, 2019 3:25 AM
Feb 24, 2019 4:00 AM

Sep 2011
Aoyama-kun is a boy of culture, breasts are indeed amazing and intriguing. I mean, nice movie.

The main trio was pretty cool, Uchida-kun was really funny! The bullies were annoying though, even with the "redemption." But well, they are kids so I guess they can change. And the girl that wasn't "human" was pretty nice too. I saw it coming, but it was still sad to see her disappearing like that. At least Aoyama was able to witness the moment, it's better than not knowing.
Feb 24, 2019 11:45 AM

Jun 2014
This movie was wonderful! So much fun. The main character was fantastic and the other characters were also quite enjoyable.

8/10
This is easily Colorido's best work.
alpha_shadowFeb 24, 2019 11:49 AM
:3
Feb 25, 2019 5:17 PM

Aug 2012
It was a fun and mysterious movie about cute penguins fooling around. And Aoyama will grow up to be a fine gentleman.

8/10
Mar 1, 2019 8:00 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
To start off, I really love Studio Colorido's visuals, I'm a fan of the color palette they tend use, as well as the simple, down-to-earth character designs. The climax, especially, was wonderful, fun, and well-animated.

That said, I felt a huge disconnect with Aoyama, and didn't care much for the other characters, and that might be the biggest problem for my enjoyment of the movie. I do think the characters definitely acted like their age. I currently work with the elementary school age range, and so I think it's an accurate portrayal of how kids are, even to the bullies. Although I'd have to say, I was surprised at how nasty Suzuki is...like...wow, that's another whole level of bullying.

The story was fairly intriguing, it made me curious about what was happening at the town, who the dentist lady was, and to connect all the dots. However, the movie overall gave a similar feeling as to Studio Colorido's other work, Taifuu no Noruda, which was, sometimes interesting, sometimes a little...boring? I wonder if it's due to the script? The flow of the story? Given that the original creator is well-known for quality storytelling (Uchouten Kazoku so good), it's difficult to believe that this work would end up a bit on the underwhelming side. But maybe the script isn't the problem, given that the Walk on Girl adaptation has a really good score, and it's the same script writer. Well whatever it is, there was just something about this movie that unfortunately couldn't make me like it as much as I wanted to.

Still, there were some interesting things I got out of this movie, especially regarding the scenes between Aoyama and his father. His father gave some really great advice, and I love how supportive he was of Aoyama's research. Also, the scene where Aoyama's little sister realizes that their mother will die someday, it reminded me when I first really understood the concept of death, although it wasn't full of tears, but of intrigue...and fear, as I wondered if when we die, would we be reborn and live out the same exact events? Certain events I would never want to go through again. I digress, but again, overall the movie was visually pleasing, the story was alright. Perhaps there's something that I've missed. Glad to see that other people enjoyed the movie though :) I'll be looking forward to Studio Colorido's next work! Congrats on the movie getting the Excellence Award in the 22nd Japan Media Arts Festival!
Mar 2, 2019 10:14 AM

Apr 2016
Very interesting movie. I really liked it. The whole metaphor around the end of the earth was intriguing.

Studio Colorido's visuals are great as usual.

Time to buy the novel.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 3, 2019 7:16 PM

Aug 2014
Didn't love the movie, but sure enjoyed the oppai. Net positive.
Sieg Zeon!
Mar 7, 2019 7:36 AM

Apr 2016
Well ... i guess ... ehhh okay.

Sad that the lady disappeared at the end, whoever may she be.
Mar 29, 2019 10:18 PM

Jun 2016
One of the best anime film i've seen

Apr 1, 2019 11:13 PM

May 2015
Title for this movie should be:
Shota x Onee-san SFW edition ft. Pingus in the City

That kid was really mature for his age. The story got really deep towards the end, but the movie as a whole was just ok. I'm really digging the closing song tho. The Japanese really love their penguins.
Apr 13, 2019 5:46 PM

Feb 2013
anikevin said:
Title for this movie should be:
Shota x Onee-san SFW edition ft. Pingus in the City

Lol, this. Watched with a bunch of old people in theatres, was awkward.
Apr 16, 2019 9:18 PM

May 2016
The ending was hella confusing, but I enjoyed this movie quite a bit! Interesting characters, and their slice of life research was super engaging to me. The bullies were a pain even with their little redemption stunt and I have no clue what happened, but overall I would recommend the movie!

Apr 17, 2019 5:26 PM
Dec 2018
Well... Aoyama said at the end "i know the only girl i'll marry" and he was looking at hamamoto-san, does he meant it?! I hope so bc she's smart, they're good match (=♡o♡=)
#kyoanistrong
Apr 17, 2019 9:27 PM

Nov 2013
The story was intriguing and the visuals were stunning at times. But it seemed as though the mystery just evaporated at the end, no real explanation of what was the cause of this phenomena.
The ability to manifest penguins and jabberwockies reminded me of Subjectivity and also of alien power in a Michael Chrichton novel "Sphere" where people close to the entity could 'manifest' objects and cause things of imagination to become real objects.
Overall, the story touches on some interesting concepts of Subjectivity, but falls short in understanding what it was trying to convey.
Apr 23, 2019 11:02 PM

Jul 2012
hmmm, i watched it in theaters today

good visuals, the summery mood was good. awesome music to add on.

characters felt a bit bland and one-dimensional. no build up to the intense scenes. story was going everywhere lol.

it was an alright movie but executed poorly. 6/10
Apr 27, 2019 5:50 PM

Oct 2015
It kinda was a mediocre plot and it tried to be meaningful but failed. It even tried to be magical and scientifically fiction, but failed also. The characters weren't that impressive and are forgettable.

Overall it was a boring long long long movie that I thought would never end, but damn the visuals were great and the production was excellent. If it was plot alone then 0/10 and the production 10/10. Making it overall:

5/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 30, 2019 6:50 AM

Nov 2011
Not worse than typical anime movie like ones from Hosoda Mamoru or Makoto Shinkai, but I am quite dissappointed because this story is from Tomihiko Morimi.. This is so far his weakest lineup..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 3, 2019 11:19 PM
Dec 2016
Wow, this movie is just amazing. I see some resemblance of myself within Aoyama. For the graphic itself I think it's pretty beautiful, I really like how they choose the color theme especially at the ending.

I was hoping they would show the time skip when Aoyama being an adult at the end of the movie, but they didn't. I'm really curious about what would happen in the future between them.

I recommend this movie for those who have "Onee-san" fetish.
Jun 13, 2019 5:07 PM

Feb 2012
Damn this was so outlandish. Main character reminds me of Young Sheldon mixed with Conan Edogawa.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 25, 2019 12:56 AM

Oct 2014
Really charming, beautifully animated, and fun direction. Enjoyed it from start to finish. I liked most of Hiroyasu Ishida's shorts, so I had some expectation for this movie. For his first full-length feature, you can't really ask for more. I look forward to whatever he does next.
Jul 8, 2019 12:53 AM
Nov 2018
Kudos to the team for the subtle shota vibes throughout the movie. a new generations of "Mommy!" lovers are born.
Aug 6, 2019 9:11 AM

Feb 2017
Really intriguing and fun movie. Loved its bright, lively colours and its main leads. Nice coming of age story, loved how they portrayed child's curiosity.

Glad I watched it, felt really refreshing. I am really sad the lady had to disappear in the end.
Only shame that I had to watch it with shitty subs.
Aug 6, 2019 9:04 PM

Mar 2016
Whimsical, with a subtle sadness. Maybe a little too long? I liked it though. I thought some of the more quiet scenes were very powerful, including dreamlike moments like when the wind of her memories blows her hair in the cafe. Some other little things I liked: his reflections on DNA and beauty, leading up to him innocently covering up her navel with the blanket so she wouldn't catch cold, as well as the 'never-ending' river surrounding the town.

All coming-of-age stories should have fantastical straight shota vibes.

Aoyama is a little too mature for his age, but is still childlike in his curiosity. To think that perhaps as he grows older he might lose that curiosity, and that drive to 'find' Onee-san, is kind of depressing. But as we grow older even big titties don't seem so mysterious anymore, and somehow the edge of the world appears even farther away. I don't know, overall it was a beautiful movie that connected knowledge seeking and imagination in the mind of a young boy.
syncrogazerAug 7, 2019 3:06 PM
Aug 12, 2019 10:25 PM

May 2017
This is a phenomenal movie that I was lucky to see in theatres in March. If you are interested in this movie, please, wait until PAS subs it! They should have it out within the next few days. There are only shitty subs out right now, unless you're okay with buying the BDs.
Aug 22, 2019 3:26 AM

May 2016
I just finished this and I already feel like I need to watch it again. I'm sorta at a loss for words--what a densely packed, very wild film! And with so much to reflect on...
I can easily say the art, the music and the animation were all amazing and top tier. The animation in this movie was so wonderfully expressive. And the color palette and lighting! Everything looks so lovely and pristine. The aesthetic of this movie is incredibly consistent. All in all this was an extremely charming movie, and one very well-directed at that. Hiroyasu and Studio Colorado - holy shit well done! Think we'll be seeing many more films from this man and studio in the coming years. At least I certainly hope so. This is their debut film having previously only done a few shorts, and that's incredible.

The way I understood this movie is that it's about two conflicting worlds (the child and the adult) that shouldn't necessarily be mixed--at least not so hurriedly--mixing, and this conflict between those converging worlds drives a journey of self-discovery for our young protagonist as he seeks to understand the difference and this new world that's appearing before him. It's a sort of coming of age movie and it's also not. It's very similar to FLCL in this theme, with a lot of exploration of sexuality expressed through the boy developing and experiencing crushes and lust for the first time (through interactions with an older, more mature female character even) as he himself is starting to make the transition into the latter world--and is perhaps too eagerly trying to rush that change..

I took the female dentist character and his love for her as symbolic of him coming to increasingly love and accept this new world and the new things he's finding out about himself. Certainly as such a curious young scientist, he's desperate to learn about these new unknowns and mysteries he's discovering--and she serves as the perfect vehicle for this boy to explore those things and interact with this world.

If there's one underlying message to this film, I think it's this (and it's largely to kids, being a film inherently targeted towards them): cherish your childhood and all the things that come with it, like that joyous wonder and carefree innocence, while it lasts--but to also not fret about the world ending once it finishes and you have to transition into the next either. Because there's plenty of things to find and love, waiting for you past the edge of your (right now) very small world.
This film is about a goodbye and a hello. And it's a very optimistic and appropriate message I think, and one I haven't seen too much of. There's a lot more to interpret from it though, but I must sit on it and think over it some. The film's story is most definitely laden with a lot of wonderful symbolism and metaphor.

Overall - I really liked this, and it left me in a perfect state of bittersweet happiness. This is yet another anime film I must buy soon on blu-ray, and another I will inevitably be rewatching in the future. There's so many great and creative anime films like this, it's such a shame most weebs generally just stick to shows.

ZaugrAug 22, 2019 4:29 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 26, 2019 9:03 AM

Dec 2016
What a great movie.

The story is pretty good even if it gets a bit weird the last 30 minutes~; the animation is purely amazing on every aspect =

https://i.gyazo.com/c074ec13f9776a76897b0502f278c959.mp4 (around 0:56:30)
https://i.gyazo.com/32c59f271dbff96dc2d4709b82dd80e3.mp4 (around 1:24:20)
https://i.gyazo.com/340559b42e834b931782e1630b411fb5.mp4 (around 1:36:20)

I'm still curious about how long that movie lasted in real life (could probably count from the amount of days he had left to "grow up" at the beginning/end of the movie but whatever i'm too lazy), what was the dad job (an engineer i guess?) and about that neverending river :/.

Overall really good, 8/10.

Edit : Forgot to mention how perfect their usage of morphism was :).

Mod edit: Removed streaming link.
DeadlyRavenAug 26, 2019 11:16 PM
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Sep 7, 2019 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
I thought this movie would be about climate change once the penguins appeared where they should not be ie. Japan. Since you know what won't exist in 81 years? Penguins.

Paranormal happenings in a town; little kids investigate; is this anime's answer to Stranger Things? :P

ngl I was hoping this would be more ecchi. I like Oneesan's boobs too, Aoyama...

As someone else put it, Shota-kun x Oneesan, but SFW edition. The two spent so much wholesome time together I temporarily forgot that in America, the friendship between Oneesan and Aoyama would be viewed as suspicious and police would be called. Oneesan's departure from Aoyama's life to me seems like the metaphoric breaking off of a relationship, the responsible adult ending the relationship before it evolved into forbidden love...

but damn, I got the feels

Why did Onee san have to die? In the end, shota-kun vows to never forget his forbidden love for Dentist Oneesan. I think Hamamoto is playing chess with Suzuki at the end since she knows he's fixated on Oneesan.

It seems implausible an artificial woman would have memories of some twenty years of life and hold down a job as a dental hygienist if she only existed for a few weeks. Was perhaps a real woman was somehow the model for Oneesan, maybe replaced like a replicant or something? Once Oneesan got sick at the trainstation, I knew what what was going on and I heard in my mind Gaff from Blade Runner: "she won't live...but then again, who does?"

Very beautifully animated film, and the characters all felt well constructed. We all know precocious boys like Aoyama, with big egos and affectations of formal diction (maybe we were one). I enjoyed the surreal and post-apocalyptic imagery as well.

Sep 27, 2019 9:08 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
This movie was absolutely fantastic, I can't believe it's rank and popularity are so low. This is easily in my Top 5 anime movies.
Oct 11, 2019 10:09 PM

Oct 2010
Fun movie, too bad the river stuff remained a mystery, and was that world real or not? was the world inside the sea real? too many questions but onee-san's boobs were great.

Next time someone asks me about fvcked up acid trip movies, I will recommend this
Oct 23, 2019 12:41 AM

Mar 2016
Seen it twice now, both times have been equally amazing. Top tier visuals from an up-and-coming director, mixing in the perfect amount of magical realism. The story really doesn't need answers imo. It provides just enough mystery to keep you going. And incoherent worlds are a specialty of Morimi, the guy who originally wrote Tatami Galaxy, Night is Short Walk on Girl, and Penguin Highway. This is the kind of surrealism I love, it dips into the tip of the iceberg of these worlds, and barely holds your hand throughout. Those are the kinds of experiences we need more of tbh, I'm tired of monologues upon monologues of deep lore shoved into a 10 minute window.

What's sad about this movie, though, is that it toes the line between a kids movie and a teen film, which I'm guessing will leave a good chunk of both parties dissatisfied. Kids movie with a wonderful sense of adventure... filled with boob shots and borderline shota relations. Great science fiction movie, but it stars kids; doesn't even hit the Stranger Things level of relatability there, these are elementary students lol. I personally don't care about this indecisive genre, but i just know many of the adults at my library picking up this movie for their kids are gonna prudishly turn it off once the boob train gets a goin.

Ishida has a bright future ahead of him though. I can't wait to see what crazy 3D scenes he has planned for his next feature. Very inspiring movie man 10/10.
Oct 23, 2019 12:54 PM

Oct 2013
Unexpectedly great.
Nov 29, 2019 11:37 AM

May 2018
Great movie, loved the story and the characters here, overall amazing movie. The mystery thingy makes everything exciting, not only that the characters make everything entertaining. Still want to know about the mystery of the sea, because of the ending.

Dec 8, 2019 3:30 PM

Jun 2013
It's a good movie. I love mysteries and exploration themes. The character were also fun to watch. But I feel like I still need more explanation about the sea and the dentist.
Jan 5, 2020 5:36 PM

Mar 2010
Penguin Highway is the type of movie I don't like. Crazy but bad penguin ride with awful characters.

The penguins are cute tho. Suprised to find a movie I find worse then No yourName thats not dementia.
StardewJan 5, 2020 5:45 PM
Jan 6, 2020 6:11 AM

Sep 2008
I seen this last night. The film was more focused on exploring Aoyama's precocious character than its plot. On the character end, it does do a great job and Aoyama was actually an engaging character to see throughout Penguin Highway's run. But in regards to the plot, yeah it leaves quite a bit unresolved concerning the dental assistant's true nature. Still, I was entertained with its focus on Aoyama and don't regret having watched it in spite of its plotting issues.
Jan 16, 2020 3:52 PM
Jun 2013
This movie should have had a Kiss Scene in the end. The boy so deserved a kiss from the "onee-san"
Would be nice if the boy and Onee-san meet again.
The only thing I would complain about is how that woman didn't have a name.
greed2Jan 16, 2020 3:55 PM
Feb 17, 2020 1:04 AM

Jul 2009
This was....really weird. I wanted to like it and give it a 10/10 just cause I love penguins so much but honestly it was nothing special. It had pretty visuals, but I found all the characters (except the penguins obvi) to be annoying and/or dull and boring. 6/10.
Mar 2, 2020 1:04 PM

Sep 2017
This was certainly an interesting watch. It had a nostalgic feel to it.
Mar 28, 2020 7:05 PM
Apr 2008
An amazing movie, one of the best from the last decade. I think the low popularity and dissatisfaction seen in this topic stem from wrong expectation. I think it is best to enter this without any expectations, but once the movie ends, to try to think what it was about. This movie is really aware about what it wants to convey. A perfect example of a magical realism coming-of-age story, that allows for but certainly doesn't need a full explanation. The feeling of a fleeting childhood, of curiosity, enigma and first love - it was as if I relived that period of my life in this short time frame.

All about the film, except maybe some minor story flow issues, was perfect, most of all the animation, and especially in the final third - that was absolutely mindblowing! It depicted multidimensional, "irrational" space on par with Interstellar and maybe even better.

I fell in love with this movie. While I do want this to be more popular, it is too unique for the general audience taste. I wonder, how it did in box office, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a commercial failure (but will be delighted if it wasn't).
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Wit Studio ????

ZXEAN - Jun 18, 2022

4 by MagicPolly »»
Jun 18, 2022 4:03 PM

» North American Theatrical Release

zamandzoe - Feb 5, 2019

1 by LeviArbalest »»
Apr 24, 2019 5:55 PM

» PV

DatRandomDude - May 15, 2018

3 by CurryBunYT »»
May 18, 2018 9:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.