Forum Settings
Forums

animegate - is this actually going to be a thing?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2018 8:07 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Tsukeru-kun said:
Shingster said:
Unless its done by Japanese media which is unlikely i doubt it will become a thing. 90% of the worlds anime is produced in Japan and their studios have plenty of freedom to create what they want without interference from the government. Western media may bark all they want but there's little they can do to affect anime.

Well... japanese media is very censorship heavy. :/
Everything with brutality or sexuality is censored in anime what is sad, but it doesn't mean you must politicize animes its jsut stupid.

I guess we just have to see. Personally i think the anime industry is fine as it is
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2018 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
I don't care what people think of anime unless the mainstream media is attacking it, which it is not. I don't know what is classified as a "mainstream" news outlet in the USA, but there are only a couple in the UK—and they don't even bother touching on Japan. From some random searches I've found that the BBC has literally made only two or three articles about anime or Japan in general that have made the front page. Now considering that there are ten or twenty front page events every day, I am hardly going to think that the BBC is trying to label anime as bad.
Apr 11, 2018 9:43 AM
Feb 2018
Gabriel_P_Forest said:
Clebardman said:
@Gabriel_P_Forest I remember when all these "SJW" "censored" the beach or corrida episodes of the first season of Pokemon.

Really nothing new, except the fear-mongering surrounding it (^%

It was a problem back then as well. That's sort of the point. We fought for so long to liberate art from conservative and Christian censorship that we are not willing to allow this to happen again. We were getting better for a while, but then liberal censorship took over where the conservatives left off. Those of us who've experienced both the censorship of old and the modern lessening of said censorship are not willing to hand over entertainment to any more of these groups just because a new political ideology is in town.

Anime and manga are still widely censored by conservatives in Japan and committees and producers that won't take risk, so instead of worrying about liberal "infesting" Japan maybe you should worry about those... oh wait, several of the people who use "SJW" are pretty content with conservative censorship.
Apr 11, 2018 9:55 AM

Dec 2015
Haha! They can cry and write their dumb blogs all they want. Won't change shit.
Apr 11, 2018 11:02 AM

Oct 2014
AdolChri said:
Gabriel_P_Forest said:

It was a problem back then as well. That's sort of the point. We fought for so long to liberate art from conservative and Christian censorship that we are not willing to allow this to happen again. We were getting better for a while, but then liberal censorship took over where the conservatives left off. Those of us who've experienced both the censorship of old and the modern lessening of said censorship are not willing to hand over entertainment to any more of these groups just because a new political ideology is in town.

Anime and manga are still widely censored by conservatives in Japan and committees and producers that won't take risk, so instead of worrying about liberal "infesting" Japan maybe you should worry about those... oh wait, several of the people who use "SJW" are pretty content with conservative censorship.

Probably because they don't see that as Censorship xd

Hell they are probably even against Bigger corporations (who can give Studios more Resources) taking it over from the Japanese production Committees (who pay the studios poorly) without realizing that more Resources mostly result into better quality, in other words "They have accepted mediocrity"

but to be honest, I rather have it uncensored.
Apr 11, 2018 11:08 AM
Jul 2018
MartinAcademia said:
Gator said:
I don't get it, what is the thing you fear exactly?

Mass SJW campaign against anime and its fans. Its what happened with video games. Gamergate was real ugly and now games are politicized and many get censored.
give me an example?
last time i heard Overwatch characters were center of feminists cuz they were sexualized but Blizzard didnt give shit. same with censoring. you cant censor something that is R rated
Apr 11, 2018 12:26 PM

Feb 2015
Ehhh, I pretty much would like to know Japan's stance on tis one especially prominent studios.

Will it be a thing? I has been. But will it eat the whole thing? I dunno.
Apr 11, 2018 1:06 PM

Aug 2016
lol no. This retarded "comicgate" shit is no where near the size of what gamergate was. There were numerous factors that caused gamergate besides muh SJWs and I see little to no reason to believe that any similar events would act as a catalyst for "animegate".

Even then, gamergate was mostly just retarded incels barking at eachother about retarded shit 90% of the American public, hell, 90% of the gaming community couldn't give two shits about.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Apr 11, 2018 1:47 PM

Jun 2011
simonephone said:
Deknijff said:
I am unaware of it happening as of right now at least
what current fans are afraid of is it happening in the near future. I don't know of anyone at least saying its currently happening as of right now.

Why are you afraid of and complaining about all the outsiders demanding companies stop making things fans want if you don't know of anybody doing this?
it happened with marvel comics, the new comics weren't selling so well though so most got the axe.... still a lot of damage done though (inside the comics and real life changes). Worry that a lot of their new hires while they were trying to be more "inclusive" may still be around and not really sure how many jobs were affected in general

When it started going south marvel even attacked its fans for "not wanting diversity" (of course backpedaled there)

Edit: @Deknijff you should read about "SJW marvel", it's kind of a good thing since it showed how it's not that easy to mess with a hobby you arent even in to buy the bad part was how easy it was for the ones that were to "infiltrate" the company and get jobs partly based on things like race and gender (and worrying to think how many sjws are still around there)
KillaclownApr 11, 2018 2:42 PM
Apr 11, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2011
Killaclown said:
simonephone said:

Why are you afraid of and complaining about all the outsiders demanding companies stop making things fans want if you don't know of anybody doing this?
it happened with marvel comics, the new comics weren't selling so well though so most got the axe.... still a lot of damage done though (inside the comics and real life changes). Worry that a lot of their new hires while they were trying to be more "inclusive" may still be around and not really sure how many jobs were affected in general

When it started going south marcel even attacked its fans for "not wanting diversity" (of course backpedaled there)

The problem is, I didn't even really hear about them being more "progressive" or anything. I bought a lot of new 52 nightwings so not like I wasn't hanging around a comic shop waiting for my next issue.

Constantine Hellblazer was the other I bought for I got a lot of graphic novels lol. And got some Lucifer too. Because of course I do. :P but yeah those two were my first ones. Then Nightwing because ANGST. I heard about some things with those sooooooooo I went out and bought them.

Clearly I lingered on the DC side of things. XD
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 11, 2018 1:54 PM

Jul 2015
Psyotic said:
lol no. This retarded "comicgate" shit is no where near the size of what gamergate was. There were numerous factors that caused gamergate besides muh SJWs and I see little to no reason to believe that any similar events would act as a catalyst for "animegate".

Even then, gamergate was mostly just retarded incels barking at eachother about retarded shit 90% of the American public, hell, 90% of the gaming community couldn't give two shits about.

People tried to explain it to me, but I swear I just can't remember what the fuck Gamergate is or why I should care about it more than 5 minutes.
Sure heard about it a lot here tho @_@
Apr 11, 2018 2:03 PM

Oct 2013
I get where you're coming from, but I'm not too worried about it.

I'm more focused on why everything has to have a fucking "gate" after it now...
Does anyone even remember what that's a reference to, or do they just do it because somehow adding "gate" makes even the stupidest problems sound important.
Not taking a shot at you personally, just ..seriously, why can't people come up with something else.
Apr 11, 2018 2:06 PM

Jun 2011
Energetic-Nova said:
Killaclown said:

When it started going south marcel even attacked its fans for "not wanting diversity" (of course backpedaled there)

The problem is, I didn't even really hear about them being more "progressive" or anything. I bought a lot of new 52 nightwings so not like I wasn't hanging around a comic shop waiting for my next issue.

Constantine Hellblazer was the other I bought for I got a lot of graphic novels lol. And got some Lucifer too. Because of course I do. :P but yeah those two were my first ones. Then Nightwing because ANGST. I heard about some things with those sooooooooo I went out and bought them.

hahaha apparently, surprised you missed it, they made the "genius" idea to shelf some of their currently most famous heroes that were riding that Avengers fame to replace them with more "progressive" counterparts hoping to be able to use the fame to help sells for these new characters.

Though they've been making bad decisions in general recently from what I hear so i guess it wasnt the biggest news in marvel maybe
Apr 11, 2018 2:09 PM

Jun 2011
Killaclown said:
Energetic-Nova said:

hahaha apparently, surprised you missed it, they made the "genius" idea to shelf some of their currently most famous heroes that were riding that Avengers fame to replace them with more "progressive" counterparts hoping to be able to use the fame to help sells for these new characters.

Though they've been making bad decisions in general recently from what I hear so i guess it wasnt the biggest news in marvel maybe

It isn't as if New 52 was a "great" idea either. Maybe comic fans just don't like change. lol. Starfire has been trashed as a character for a long long time.
Apr 11, 2018 2:17 PM

Oct 2013
Killaclown said:
Setsuei said:

Does anyone even remember what that's a reference to, or do they just do it because somehow adding "gate" makes even the stupidest problems sound important.
Not taking a shot at you personally, just ..seriously, why can't people come up with something else.
probably a reference to Watergate but could also be the idea that elitist fans are acting as gatekeepers to these "new fans"

I was thinking Watergate also, but that would mean people find stuff like this ,deflategate and so on are of equal importance to what happened then.
And honestly..I don't really think they are for the most part. Or like I said, they do it because it sounds catchy.
I can see the "gatekeeper" angle too though.
Apr 11, 2018 2:22 PM

Jun 2011
Energetic-Nova said:

It isn't as if New 52 was a "great" idea either. Maybe comic fans just don't like change. lol. Starfire has been trashed as a character for a long long time.
there will be more controversy over her soon, I know she's always been a little "tanned" but the actress playing her in the show looks like a female wesley snipes..... not that any of the other characters look any good though
Apr 11, 2018 2:24 PM

Feb 2014
Well, as long as we stay a conservative community focusing on maintaining our way of living (And i know a good part of the community who agrees with me), there shall be no problem.

Of course, that would also imply phisically removing traitors, but that's just a detail.

Remember, folks, Don't let evil take root.
Apr 11, 2018 2:25 PM

Jun 2011
Setsuei said:
Killaclown said:
probably a reference to Watergate but could also be the idea that elitist fans are acting as gatekeepers to these "new fans"

I was thinking Watergate also, but that would mean people find stuff like this ,deflategate and so on are of equal importance to what happened then.
And honestly..I don't really think they are for the most part. Or like I said, they do it because it sounds catchy.
I can see the "gatekeeper" angle too though.
at this point they are probably just referencing gamergate so I dont think watergate is a part anymore
Apr 11, 2018 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
dude, people have unwarranted opinions and shove their politics into fandoms, but i've never actually seen it have any impact. when i went through my tumblrina phase there was a shitton of infighting about how anime fans and non anime fans despised certain types of anime because they didn't befit SJW politics, and nothing ever came of it besides the usual disordered screeching amongst themselves. and not all libs are sjws, just as not all conservatives are redneck racist goons, so your point is?

It's not at all widespread, I don't think anime is even that mainstream, contrary to what people keep saying, I still don't see how it's becoming mainstream, because a few series were released by Netflix? That's more of a distribution thing, I don't think Netflix has that much creative control beyond being the release platform... and one of the first anime series on Netflix was Devilman Crybaby, which is like, the antithesis of "PC".
Apr 11, 2018 2:43 PM
Oct 2009
Bourmegar said:
AdolChri said:

Hell they are probably even against Bigger corporations (who can give Studios more Resources) taking it over from the Japanese production Committees (who pay the studios poorly) without realizing that more Resources mostly result into better quality, in other words "They have accepted mediocrity"

Hypocrisy at finest...
if yo censor its bad if i do its great!
and if we come to censorship, everyone knows trump doesnt have love for video games.
Apr 11, 2018 3:17 PM

Apr 2018
Energetic-Nova said:

I'm more DC myself. I actually liked New 52 but I guess most of the fanbase didn't XD Still, I like what they're doing now now. On topic, DC actually managed to introduce more diversity in their comics without ruining the existing heroes so that makes them #1 in my book.

Setsuei said:

I dunno why the gate-everything. It used to annoy me but I guess now I just go with it. I'm assuming its related to watergate originally but in this case its probably more because of gamergate.

Killaclown said:
there will be more controversy over her soon, I know she's always been a little "tanned" but the actress playing her in the show looks like a female wesley snipes..... not that any of the other characters look any good though

You're talking about Titans right? Aren't they going to paint the actress green so she looks like the actual Starfire?
Apr 11, 2018 4:14 PM

Feb 2008
Good thing is that nobody in Japan actually cares what westerners think. Tumblr types think they can change an industry that doesn't give a tenth of a shit about them. If they were capable of any influence at all, Japan would just get out of the western market and nothing would change.
Apr 11, 2018 4:38 PM

Mar 2017
MartinAcademia said:
Gator said:
I don't get it, what is the thing you fear exactly?

Mass SJW campaign against anime and its fans. Its what happened with video games. Gamergate was real ugly and now games are politicized and many get censored.

...You seem a bit confused.

Gamergate had nothing to do with (sigh) "SJW's attacking the video game industry". A lady made a game, someone mentioned it in passing a video-game article, then the lady's ex-boyfriend made up a nasty story about her and told it to a bunch of nerds, and the nerds believed it because nerds can be idiots where women are involved.

Not that anime fans would know anything about that. *cough*

A true animegate would be a feminist anime critic on, say, Youtube, talking about sexist trends she sees in anime before being constantly harassed by fanboys with no perspective for the crime of expressing her opinion on a medium of art. This may have happened already (I would not be surprised), but I've yet to see such a harassment campaign garner the same kind of media attention gamergate did. Is it because there are few feminist anime critics, or because outbursts like what we saw in gamergate have made them more cautious?

Hard to say. Feminist anime critics exist, (like on this site right here), but anime remains a more niche genre than video games in the west. It's possible that media simply doesn't pay as much attention to the anime fandom.

But don't worry. I'm sure our community will continue to grow, because it is clearly so incredibly welcoming towards newcomers and people who are different. :)
/sarcasm
"Bang." -Spike Spiegal

"Everything... is connected." -Lain Iwakura

"Life is too short to watch bad anime. Long Live the 1st Episode Drop." -InkSpider

"Anime fans make me embarrassed to be an anime fan." -InkSpider
Apr 11, 2018 4:40 PM

Aug 2015
This is literally a bait thread.Look at OP account creation date and post history.Mods do something jesus christ what happened to mods of MAL,after 1 year i come to this place and AD has literally became CD.WTF happened to this place within 1 year?
Apr 11, 2018 4:57 PM

Jan 2008
Anime is made is Japan for Japan. They could not care less about SJWs from America.
Apr 11, 2018 4:58 PM

Apr 2014
the worst they can do is censor english dubs. they can't touch the anime industry since the industry doesn't care at all about what is going on in the west
Apr 11, 2018 5:05 PM

Oct 2017
This shouldn't affect Anime since Japan doesn't give a fuck about the West. Although Streaming sites like Crunchyroll and Dubs might get affect. I don't watch dubs or use streaming sites so it shouldn't affect me.
Apr 11, 2018 5:30 PM

Dec 2012
Anyone who thinks Japan can't get influenced by the western world...do you think they love baseball and western school uniforms because they've been isolated for thousands of years? Modern Japan is not a product of isolation and cultural purity.
Apr 11, 2018 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
Bayek said:
Anyone who thinks Japan can't get influenced by the western world...do you think they love baseball and western school uniforms because they've been isolated for thousands of years? Modern Japan is not a product of isolation and cultural purity.

they must still be in the showa period.
Apr 11, 2018 5:41 PM
Oct 2017
this is the gayest thread      
Apr 11, 2018 5:45 PM
Jul 2018
if they restrict what is aired here, that will definitely change the way things are produced in Japan.
Fanservice isn't just about tits and ass. It's about results.
Steven King says it like this:
"If you wrote something for which someone sent you a check, if you cashed the check and it didn't bounce, and if you then paid the light bill with the money, I consider you talented."

If the check bounces, you're going to have to do something different.
Apr 11, 2018 5:49 PM
Feb 2017
Okay. I don't understand the problem. (i'm too lazy to read.)

Apr 11, 2018 6:03 PM

Oct 2017
Fvlminatvs said:
I've been anticipating this for a while, actually. Japanese anime is different from Japanese video games but still, there are similarities, such as how both have to get imported to non-Japanese regions. The distributors need only listen to the SJWs and suddenly, you get anti-gamergate messages in your dub (this has actually happened but I forget which show it was), "selective" translating and localizing in order to remove "offensive" and "problematic" material (which has already happened in games: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/04/danmachi-memoria-freese-censored-english-gamers-localizers-say-not-censorship/55636/), certain "offensive" anime don't get licensed and localized, and Japan starts flat-out refusing to send certain shows overseas (such as that one Dead or Alive game).

“Hi! Official DanMemo Community Team here. The “touching” feature was removed from the English version of the game, yes. Not as a matter of censorship or depriving non-Japanese audiences of anything, but due to what is appropriate and not appropriate for English audiences. Hope that answers your question!”
--quote from DanMemo Team justifying censorship while denying it's censorship

This is some amazing doublespeak right there. I mean, taking something out because it is deemed "inappropriate for an audience" falls under the definition of censorship. Yup. And Crunchyroll is involved with that.

And with the pressure on (and virus-happy state of) many torrent and streaming pirate fansub sites, getting your anime uncut and untampered-with is going to become more and more difficult.

I have noticed that almost all the English dubs of anime (that I have seen, at least) seem very shallow and much less intense that Japanize dubs with subtitles. For example, my sister talked my mom into watching part of My Hero Academia with us as long as we watched the English dub. The dub seemed very childish in comparison to the Japanize dub, and had removed many of the more mature puns and language from the episodes. The whole thing felt like one of today's cheesy Saturday morning cartoons aimed at ten-year-olds, rather than the TV-14 anime that it is.

This is kind of a weird example, but several years ago, me and my brother got into Beyblade during Metal Fusion and the following series. As we were not yet aware of anime's existence, we had watched it in the English dub. A couple years later, I found the Japanize dub online, and watched a few episodes for old times' sake. I was quite surprised about how much more mature the Japanize dub was. There was some amount of swearing and name-calling that hadn't been present in the English version.

I like to live every day like it's my last.....and by that, I mean lying in a puddle of my own urine, calling for the nurse to bring me more pudding.
Apr 11, 2018 6:12 PM

Jun 2011
TeamBlackTalon said:
Fvlminatvs said:
I've been anticipating this for a while, actually. Japanese anime is different from Japanese video games but still, there are similarities, such as how both have to get imported to non-Japanese regions. The distributors need only listen to the SJWs and suddenly, you get anti-gamergate messages in your dub (this has actually happened but I forget which show it was), "selective" translating and localizing in order to remove "offensive" and "problematic" material (which has already happened in games: https://www.oneangrygamer.net/2018/04/danmachi-memoria-freese-censored-english-gamers-localizers-say-not-censorship/55636/), certain "offensive" anime don't get licensed and localized, and Japan starts flat-out refusing to send certain shows overseas (such as that one Dead or Alive game).

This is some amazing doublespeak right there. I mean, taking something out because it is deemed "inappropriate for an audience" falls under the definition of censorship. Yup. And Crunchyroll is involved with that.

And with the pressure on (and virus-happy state of) many torrent and streaming pirate fansub sites, getting your anime uncut and untampered-with is going to become more and more difficult.

I have noticed that almost all the English dubs of anime (that I have seen, at least) seem very shallow and much less intense that Japanize dubs with subtitles. For example, my sister talked my mom into watching part of My Hero Academia with us as long as we watched the English dub. The dub seemed very childish in comparison to the Japanize dub, and had removed many of the more mature puns and language from the episodes. The whole thing felt like one of today's cheesy Saturday morning cartoons aimed at ten-year-olds, rather than the TV-14 anime that it is.

This is kind of a weird example, but several years ago, me and my brother got into Beyblade during Metal Fusion and the following series. As we were not yet aware of anime's existence, we had watched it in the English dub. A couple years later, I found the Japanize dub online, and watched a few episodes for old times' sake. I was quite surprised about how much more mature the Japanize dub was. There was some amount of swearing and name-calling that hadn't been present in the English version.

Japanese swears are different than English swears.

Like Half-breed is a swear in Japanese. Calling someone "foreigner" is a swear. Implying someone has impure blood with other words is considered something worth censoring.

The words translated to Fuck and Shit pretty much aren't a big deal. Kisama is a sarcastic swear that gets translated into Bastard a lot but really... it means the equivilent of calling someone Einstein.

Meanwhile, If you watched say, Hetalia in Japanese and then in English, you would know just how much more racist Hetalia in English feels.

So in otherwords, anime which deal in "half-breeds" and "impure blood" are more likely to be legitimately offensive. Such as Inuyasha, Devilman, or Evangelion. Or if you want it in a more realistic sense.... Kids on the Slope.
Apr 11, 2018 8:41 PM

Aug 2013
Killaclown said:
it happened with marvel comics, the new comics weren't selling so well though so most got the axe....
LOL only Fem Thor ended and Falcon gave back the shield to the real Cap (the one that was Hydra was a fake) but still has his own comic line. Riri is still there, Kamala is still there, X23 is still Wolverine etc.

Fem Thor actually did outsell OG Thor. https://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8267191/female-thor-outselling-thor-god-of-thunder
DrGeroCreationApr 11, 2018 8:48 PM
Apr 11, 2018 8:53 PM

Apr 2018
I know probably nothing will come of this but the so called "mainstream" status of anime is what worries me now. Since I began researching this topic I found that Funimation actually did insert political propaganda in at least one of their dubs and now there's another article the people of Anime Herald made that basically says "Anime mainstream now so **** otaku".

I dunno, I just wonder how far they'll actually take this. There's certainly a bigger push by mainstream outlets in recent times.
Apr 11, 2018 9:26 PM

Jun 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Killaclown said:
it happened with marvel comics, the new comics weren't selling so well though so most got the axe....
LOL only Fem Thor ended and Falcon gave back the shield to the real Cap (the one that was Hydra was a fake) but still has his own comic line. Riri is still there, Kamala is still there, X23 is still Wolverine etc.

Fem Thor actually did outsell OG Thor. https://www.polygon.com/2015/3/20/8267191/female-thor-outselling-thor-god-of-thunder
well supposedly it's hard to account for sales due to digital copies

Well enough of them got the axe for it to be news https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/12/22/16810138/marvel-exec-insists-wave-of-cancellations-not-motivated-by-books-diversity

Though the remaining ones are worrying since they'll just try to do it again. I hear DC did a better job at including diversity which probably didn't involve insulting fans.... at times even in the comics (and not in a lighthearted way)
Apr 11, 2018 9:42 PM

Apr 2015
Killaclown said:
I hear DC did a better job at including diversity which probably didn't involve insulting fans.... at times even in the comics (and not in a lighthearted way)

It's true. DC introduced new characters instead of just gender/ethnic swapping existing heroes. What Marvel did was pretty insulting to women and minorities too; they essentially said "The only way female and non-white characters can be popular is if they're riding a white male heroes' popularity"

What DC did introduces new heroes, makes their universe richer and more importantly, no one will remember the new heroes as "Hey look, its black Superman", they'll remember them as heroes in their own rights. With that said none of them have become that popular yet. But that's normal; if you remember, any new heroes that makes his/her debut takes a while to be fully established and this initiative is new. But that's the point though, making new heroes is risky and takes time and Marvel wasn't willing to put in the effort.
Apr 11, 2018 10:16 PM

Aug 2013
Killaclown said:
DrGeroCreation said:

Well enough of them got the axe for it to be news https://www.polygon.com/comics/2017/12/22/16810138/marvel-exec-insists-wave-of-cancellations-not-motivated-by-books-diversity

Though the remaining ones are worrying since they'll just try to do it again. I hear DC did a better job at including diversity which probably didn't involve insulting fans.... at times even in the comics (and not in a lighthearted way)
Digital sales are accounted for as well.That isn't the majority and in that same article it says Iceman, America and Luke Cage were selling well.
Apr 11, 2018 10:26 PM

Jun 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
Killaclown said:

"Digital sales are accounted for as well.That isn't the majority and in that same article it says Iceman, America and Luke Cage were selling well.
Without the same transparency on digital and trade sales that fans have comic shop pre-orders, it’s impossible for them to know what other factors led into Marvel’s decisions. They just have to take Quesada’s word for it:"

Why would it go through all this trouble and cancel if it wasnt about sells? (I guess the artists/writers could have been unbearable or something)
Apr 11, 2018 10:35 PM

Aug 2013
@Killaclown There could be conflict with the writers etc. If there isn't the same transparency with digital sales then there is no evidence that those comics had bad digital sales. Also to my knowledge digital sales aren't a major factor for determining the profitability of any comic.

Psyotic said:
Gamergate wouldn't have been such a shitshow if triggered idiots hadn't sent Sarkeesian and those other women death threats so that they could run to the media and claim gamers hate women. Those dumbfucks on 4chan easily played into Sarkeesian's hands.
DrGeroCreationApr 11, 2018 10:43 PM
Apr 11, 2018 10:45 PM

Jul 2016
Us feminazis are working very diligently to get anime banned from the US completely.
Apr 11, 2018 10:56 PM

Nov 2013
Anime may have everything that SJW hate. If anime is to be corrected to please them, might as well dont make new anime then.
Apr 11, 2018 11:03 PM

Jun 2011
DrGeroCreation said:
@Killaclown There could be conflict with the writers etc. If there isn't the same transparency with digital sales then there is no evidence that those comics had bad digital sales. Also to my knowledge digital sales aren't a major factor for determining the profitability of any comic.
never said there was evidence, just that marvel canceled them because (according to marvel) they weren't doing as well as hoped. Dont really see what marvel would have to gain other than if the writers sucked, but hey believe what you will
Apr 12, 2018 12:40 AM

Dec 2015
Clebardman said:
I just can't remember why I should care about it more than 5 minutes.

Maybe because it looks futile compared to the events it borrown the name from.

Gamergate seems like a big thing made of nothing, what a way to make a stupid poun around serious business.
Apr 12, 2018 9:56 AM

Dec 2016

I know this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, but what is Gamergate, and what makes OP so confident that this is something that will affect the Japanese anime industry? Western influences aren't that that big in Japan, from what I've observed.
Apr 12, 2018 12:33 PM

Oct 2014
Tsukeru-kun said:
Bourmegar said:

Hypocrisy at finest...
if yo censor its bad if i do its great!
and if we come to censorship, everyone knows trump doesnt have love for video games.

Heh irresponsible Politicians who love Scapegoats don't have a love for Violent video games.
same can be said about these "Feminists"

"Feminists" (I use " for a reason) also end up being hypocrites tbh.
Apr 12, 2018 12:49 PM

Feb 2010
lmao, the panic mongers never stop.

Tbh if people on MAL wouldn't constantly talk about, I'd never even have known what gamergate is or was. That's how 'big' it was. It had zero impact on anything I ever wanted to do, heard, said, played or consumed. So I guess in that sense animegate might already be happening and I'M just giving the same amounts of fucks as always, zero.

You gotta have a certain 'mindset' to see certain things as 'censorship' or 'SJW propaganda', and that mindset involves a lot of terms like 'gay agenda' or maybe even 'jewish agenda' and other random 'agendas' while not caring about actual censorship but rather the mere presence of certain elements you dislike in media, and trying to paint it as 'censorship' that these elements are present at all. Because obviously noone in their right mind would ever want to see LGBT or or other minorities in meaningful roles in media, and the only way you can get artists to come up with stories like that is by forcing them to do it with SJW propaganda and forcing rewrites on their original works, which are most likely just full of white hetero males. Cause those are the only stories that are natural, anything else is forced by some 'agenda'.

I don't have that mindset, so I never understood 90% of the complaints from people about that kind of stuff, be it in live action, comics or now anime.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 12, 2018 2:21 PM

Feb 2014
@Pullman

That's some heavy bluepill here.

Without getting into politics (Though 90% of it is about politics). It's almost dumb that i HAVE to say this, but no, it isn't because "we hate minorities".
Most of it is that people like the general framework that anime is right now, and they don't want a radical transformation like many western media suffered (And that didn't end well).

If you come to think of it, anime already had diverse casts, homossexuality and other taboo topics long before this "post-modernist west trend" even started and no one ever complained, which just makes your argument of "They don't think minorities are normal" dumber.
Apr 12, 2018 2:25 PM

Aug 2009
Fuck all of these gates. As if MAL needs more of this shit in the forums.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» List of anime to watch with friends

collarbone_cry - 45 minutes ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Don't you find the obsession with fictional characters in the anime community alarming? ( 1 2 )

tappioca - Yesterday

79 by SwordBreaker36 »»
2 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

59 by DigiCat »»
12 minutes ago

» Underrated character designs/outfits you think are appealing / sexy

IpreferEcchi - Apr 26

25 by TheMechaManiac »»
23 minutes ago

» Do you guys pretend to hate anime?

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

27 by Saphiran »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.