Forum Settings
Forums

animegate - is this actually going to be a thing?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2018 7:54 AM

Aug 2013
Deknijff said:
DrGeroCreation said:
No I don't believe they made any change in business approach.
hmmmm
thats interesting
Perhaps it could be the movie fans that are now starting to buy the comics more and more
I can picture that at least being the case
I haven't read anywhere about movie fans causing a boost in comic sales.
Apr 10, 2018 7:55 AM

Jan 2017
Well i think these so called SJWs can only affect netflix original animes which are only available on netflix.
Apr 10, 2018 8:02 AM

Oct 2013
xShinigami3125 said:
Deknijff said:
I didn't say it invalidates their opinion
if they're right they're right

But when it comes to talking about an entire medium and what it offers experience and knowledge is needed so that we don't have a bunch of people who know next to nothing spouting nonsense
so the fear of Outsiders changing the medium is unjustified as long as everyone does 10 seconds of Research
I see I see
yes indeed 10 seconds is all it takes
Apr 10, 2018 8:08 AM

Jul 2015
Oh, more fear-mongering "the evil SJW are invading anime" threads. We totally don't have one every week since as far as I can remember. It still didn't happen.

Off-topic, one does not drop NGE at ep13. At least watch ep 14 for the lulz (^:
Apr 10, 2018 8:10 AM

Dec 2015
I don't know if I can believe those articles because let's face it, Japan is a very conservative country. Sure they might listen to them but it will probably be this ear in other ear out thing even with the likes of Netflix and Sony (who already own parts of Toei btw). If it does happen I'd be sad though because, as a sex positive feminist myself, I do not see anything wrong with the perversion in anime as long as it's not pure objectivication. The ones complaining are usually the ones who stumbled upon one sexist anime and base their conclusion on that while it's hardly a good representation. I don't know what happened at gamergate since I'm not a gamer and I've only heard about it last year but from what I heard it wasn't pretty and I think I can still see the remains of it on this forum.
Apr 10, 2018 8:12 AM

Dec 2017
i dont know about SJW stuff, but every country has it’s censorship laws, and Japanese anime industry is bounded by, you know, Japanese censorhip laws. but yeah, to be able to be aired overseas, the anime has to meet the criteria of the censorship law in the respective country, but there’s always a certain western audience that demand too much censor.

it’ll ruin the western industries for sure, but whatever they do, it only make it harder for themselves, especially anime fans

from what i see, there’s only one rule of Japanese censorship law, not showing any genital and pubic hair, with the use of mosaic, that’s it. outside of that, it will not breaking any law whatever kind of anime they will make. it can piss people off for sure, it maybe can create ruckus like RapeLay in 2009, but it’s perfectly legal and not against the law

as for games, isn’t there are already a rating organizations for game such as ESRB for USA, PEGI for Europe, and CERI and CESA for Japan that supervise and controls what and which should be appropriate?. this is suppose to be a very standard procedure before releasing a game isn’t it, how can a minority voice has so much power against an already established organization
Apr 10, 2018 8:22 AM
Feb 2018
xShinigami3125 said:
Wtf is Gamergate and what is this supposed to be ?
Basically right wings assholes harassing people under the guise of "game journalism"

The kind of people who cry SJW when there are gay characters in videogames.
Apr 10, 2018 8:25 AM

Feb 2018
AdolChri said:
xShinigami3125 said:
Basically right wings assholes harassing people under the guise of "game journalism"

The kind of people who cry SJW when there are gay characters in videogames.

I knew xd I just wanted one of them to justify that bs
Apr 10, 2018 8:26 AM

Jul 2017
Even though Japanese do not even care about western opinions, producer would listen if the oversea market overtook the industry, and if that happen self-censorship would be taken to please its new targeted audience and anime would never be the same. Just from how people attacking Eromanga Sensei and Citrus on the Internet for reasons of political incorrectness, and how money from other countries getting into the industry, it is a legit concern.
Apr 10, 2018 8:33 AM
Feb 2018
nbyung09 said:
Even though Japanese do not even care about western opinions, producer would listen if the oversea market overtook the industry, and if that happen self-censorship would be taken to please its new targeted audience and anime would never be the same. Just from how people attacking Eromanga Sensei and Citrus on the Internet for reasons of political incorrectness, and how money from other countries getting into the industry, it is a legit concern.

I'm pretty sure eromanga gets attacked for being shit.
Apr 10, 2018 8:35 AM

May 2017
I don't think animegate is going to be a thing....too many syllables. It just doesn't roll off the tongue well like gamergate did.

Apr 10, 2018 8:36 AM

Oct 2012
Deknijff said:
jal90 said:
So do the so-called "SJWs" as consumers of the anime, so... is there a point in this debate?
As I said above the worries of fans are that an outside source will interfere with the market and not actual fans who do buy the product
xShinigami3125 said:
They do but so do the "Evil leftists SJW" or whatever the current fans of a medium claiming ownership of it is just childish and shows a serious case of reality loss
In most cases those people aren't fans and won't be fans even after the change so they actually have very small rights of complaint unlike real fans

Sounds to me like you're the one who wants to censor people. You wanna censor the so called sjws from criticizing your precious animes.
Apr 10, 2018 8:41 AM

Jul 2017
AdolChri said:
nbyung09 said:

I'm pretty sure eromanga gets attacked for being shit.

From animation, character designs, stories, comedies to musics. Which part of it is bad?
Most criticism towards Eromanga Sensei ultimately would come down to it's identity as an incest harem comedy.
Apr 10, 2018 8:46 AM

Oct 2013
simonephone said:
Deknijff said:
As I said above the worries of fans are that an outside source will interfere with the market and not actual fans who do buy the product
In most cases those people aren't fans and won't be fans even after the change so they actually have very small rights of complaint unlike real fans
Sounds to me like you're the one who wants to censor people. You wanna censor the so called sjws from criticizing your precious animes.
Last I checked though I wasn't going to companies and demanding them to stop catering towards that group of fans as they've always done
Im simply saying they don't know what they're talking about or lack the necessary experience to talk about the subject like an actual fan who watches the medium

Is disproving nonsense considered censorship now or something?
Apr 10, 2018 8:55 AM

Apr 2016
They can change nothing in the anime from nippon itself, what they can change are subs and of course dubs.

So in the end they will change nothing at all.
Apr 10, 2018 8:59 AM
Jul 2018
MartinAcademia said:

I just got back into anime, I really don't need this shit.

What do you consider anime?
Japanese animation? Do you see stuff like Avatar and RWBY as anime?

If you only think of it as animation from Japan, then no, you won't be witnessing an "Animegate."
It may happen, but not in your lifetime.
Apr 10, 2018 9:08 AM

Oct 2012
Deknijff said:
simonephone said:
Last I checked though I wasn't going to companies and demanding them to stop catering towards that group of fans as they've always done
Im simply saying they don't know what they're talking about or lack the necessary experience to talk about the subject like an actual fan who watches the medium

So you're fine with people expressing whatever criticisms they have, even if you don't agree with it, as long as they're not directing those complaints directly at the company? Cause it seemed like you were implying in your previous posts that they didn't have a right to complain in the first place as they're not "true fans".
Apr 10, 2018 9:20 AM

Oct 2013
simonephone said:
Deknijff said:

So you're fine with people expressing whatever criticisms they have, even if you don't agree with it, as long as they're not directing those complaints directly at the company? Cause it seemed like you were implying in your previous posts that they didn't have a right to complain in the first place as they're not "true fans".
I have no problem with them going to companies even. I have a problem with them demanding companies to stop making things fans want when they're outsiders
Apr 10, 2018 9:55 AM

Oct 2012
Deknijff said:
simonephone said:
I have no problem with them going to companies even. I have a problem with them demanding companies to stop making things fans want when they're outsiders

What you're talking about seems really specific, is this happening with anime at all? Are you talking about like a specific company?
Apr 10, 2018 9:59 AM

Jan 2009
Yes, more or less that's where we stand right now.
Apr 10, 2018 10:00 AM

Jun 2011
If “real fans” continue to not buy anime and more people who you see as sjw watch anime and buy anime... who should be catered to? The person who buys or the person who steals?
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 10, 2018 10:01 AM

Oct 2013
simonephone said:
Deknijff said:
What you're talking about seems really specific, is this happening with anime at all? Are you talking about like a specific company?
I am unaware of it happening as of right now at least
what current fans are afraid of is it happening in the near future. I don't know of anyone at least saying its currently happening as of right now.
Apr 10, 2018 10:06 AM
Jun 2015
Western Feminists would have to team up with Japanese feminists and Japanese conservatives for that to happen. Feminists don't necessarily care which side it is, they will team up with misogynist religions and conservatives if they see a mutual goal that they perceive to benefit women. For long term power over anime they would need to gain political power in Japan to the point that it becomes a powerful political lobby like in western countries.

Presently, the strongest threat to anime are Japanese Conservatives, they have censored anime for decades. They have political power in Japan to censor anime in the past and present day which is why they would need to be an alliance. The other vectors they could explore to censor anime would be like gaining power in the production committees and the localization process. So far the former is not the case because of the language barrier and cultural barrier but the latter is how Feminists were able to censor anime. The problem about censoring through the localization process is that people can buy imports avoiding the middlemen if they use fansubs or understand Japanese. Anime is safe from western Feminists from hard censorship but we should be wary of Conservatives and Feminists coming together because at least in the west when both of these groups work together, people that enjoy liberty and hate censorship are screwed.
Apr 10, 2018 10:45 AM

Apr 2015
Energetic-Nova said:
If “real fans” continue to not buy anime and more people who you see as sjw watch anime and buy anime... who should be catered to? The person who buys or the person who steals?

You know what? I actually agree with this sentiment.

If the only people paying for horrid "localizations" are social justice advocates and the people in charge of said localizations openly encourage people not to use or purchase their services then there is no reason for people to use said services.
Apr 10, 2018 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
Deknijff said:
simonephone said:
I am unaware of it happening as of right now at least
what current fans are afraid of is it happening in the near future. I don't know of anyone at least saying its currently happening as of right now.

Why are you afraid of and complaining about all the outsiders demanding companies stop making things fans want if you don't know of anybody doing this?
Apr 10, 2018 3:57 PM

Apr 2017
no not again with the fucking gates what is with you people? call it something else pls
Apr 10, 2018 4:16 PM

Jun 2011
Guilion said:
Energetic-Nova said:

If the only people paying for horrid "localizations" are social justice advocates and the people in charge of said localizations openly encourage people not to use or purchase their services then there is no reason for people to use said services.
if you do not buy the product, your opinion does not matter. If another group of people buys the product, their opinion does matter.
Since I purchased products, my opinion matters. I do have a price tag by which I will buy it. There is a such thing as an anime that is too expensive for me. I am a consumer who is worth winning over because I will buy anime provided it is for a price I find acceptable. And I have so many anime that I want to watch, I usually do not have to resort to pirating. If it is available, and the price is low, I will not pirate .
The anime community in a nutshell.
Apr 10, 2018 5:01 PM

Mar 2018
None of this seems particularly worrisome with perhaps the exception of big companies like netflix trying to buy the studios. Even that, netflix seems to be taking the path of "why buy a studio when we can make our own." The rest of the stuff boils down to what we support with our money. If you don't want anime to become a political soap box, don't support the shows that do that. If you like a show, find a way to support it financially (which can be as simple as not pirating it). Money talks - all of the content in the articles won't be a problem if we say "I'm going to support this content that I like and I'm not going to support this content that I don't like." Even if anime does become mainstream (which I doubt) it will allow a niche within it to remain.
Apr 10, 2018 8:50 PM

Apr 2015
holysauron said:
If it does happen I'd be sad though because, as a sex positive feminist myself, I do not see anything wrong with the perversion in anime...

Most people don't. Most feminists either. Honestly, the problem has never been feminism as some people believe, it's 4th wave feminism that's the issue and I don't think most women even support 4th wave. Case in point, girls in schools in Canada have been protesting the liberal dress code because they're tired of being told what to wear and are starting to see the same slut-shaming from the left they used to see from the right.

It's also worth mentioning that as female-aimed anime start to be more prevalent, "perversion"/fanservice is being targeted both ways nowadays.
Apr 10, 2018 9:46 PM

May 2009
MartinAcademia said:
Gator said:
I don't get it, what is the thing you fear exactly?

Mass SJW campaign against anime and its fans. Its what happened with video games. Gamergate was real ugly and now games are politicized and many get censored.
Except that was basically a large and loud sideshow while the rest of us just kept on playing our games anyway.

You people are way too paranoid about "SJW"s.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 11, 2018 2:40 AM

Mar 2018
Gamer gate wasn’t as black and white as most seem to think.
The extremists were the only ones anyone paid attention to.
Let’s not forget, the anti sjws in the situation often threatend or harassed the sjws?
Sjw types only have the power you give them. Stop paying attention to them, they start to get less ‘powerful’
When I remember, I can still smell your scent, you and I are the same color perfume
Apr 11, 2018 3:39 AM

Apr 2015
HotPocketRocket said:
Sjw types only have the power you give them. Stop paying attention to them, they start to get less ‘powerful’

That's what they told us when gamergate started. Ignore them and they'll go away. But that doesn't work. They pressure companies into self-censorship, they blacklist developers who don't play the PC game, they push tropes and narratives into entertainment, they force censorship in localisations, they force gender and race stereotypes to replace good writing and presentation... If we ignore these people, they essentially get everything their way with no one to stop them. Ignoring political and social pressure group when corporations and government listens to them is very dangerous.
Apr 11, 2018 3:44 AM

Mar 2018
Gabriel_P_Forest said:
HotPocketRocket said:

That's what they told us when gamergate started. Ignore them and they'll go away. But that doesn't work. They pressure companies into self-censorship, they blacklist developers who don't play the PC game, they push tropes and narratives into entertainment, they force censorship in localisations, they force gender and race stereotypes to replace good writing and presentation... If we ignore these people, they essentially get everything their way with no one to stop them. Ignoring political and social pressure group when corporations and government listens to them is very dangerous.

Have you considered maybe?

No one ever ignored them? Because they didn’t? They fed into the toxicity with their own brand of toxicity.

No one forced censorship anywhere. What censorship are you referring to anyways? What is any of this that you’re referring to? What are the SJWs doing to change games other than sometimes getting mad at DoA tiddies (which does nothing) or yelling at game devs to put more representation in games/make their own (which never effects already existing games)
When I remember, I can still smell your scent, you and I are the same color perfume
Apr 11, 2018 3:56 AM

Apr 2015
Censorship of foreign games is stricter now that gamergate is over, games like Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball didn't even make it here. They pressure companies so that new games now have a lot of feminist/socialist stereotypes pertaining to race and gender that advances their political agenda. Also, they use the media to control people and content. Just recently, they tried to have a game developer blacklisted just because of game antics. Its because of them and their agenda-pushing that platforms like Steam are now severely censored (Games and free speech). Heck, they even try to start boycotts of companies who don't play the PC game. This is just the tip of the iceberg really. They've been wrecking the comic book industry too. They are very active and very dangerous to freedom of speech and choice.
Apr 11, 2018 4:04 AM

Jul 2015
Gabriel_P_Forest said:
Censorship of foreign games is stricter now that gamergate is over, games like Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball didn't even make it here. They pressure companies so that new games now have a lot of feminist/socialist stereotypes pertaining to race and gender that advances their political agenda. Also, they use the media to control people and content. Just recently, they tried to have a game developer blacklisted just because of game antics. Its because of them and their agenda-pushing that platforms like Steam are now severely censored (Games and free speech). Heck, they even try to start boycotts of companies who don't play the PC game. This is just the tip of the iceberg really. They've been wrecking the comic book industry too. They are very active and very dangerous to freedom of speech and choice.

That's a lot of "they". Makes you sound paranoid, tbh.

All that bullcrap about "they"re invading video games" is ignorant af. Imported games and cartoons being changed and sometimes murdered "to accomodate the target audience's taste" is nothing new. If you're too young to remember it, nothing prevents you from informing yourself.
DeathkoApr 11, 2018 4:07 AM
Apr 11, 2018 4:07 AM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
That's a lot of "they". Makes you sound paranoid, tbh.

I know the conversation can get difficult to follow for some, but if you read the post I'm clearly talking about SJWs and their political and social lobbies.
Apr 11, 2018 4:10 AM

Jul 2015
@Gabriel_P_Forest I remember when all these "SJW" "censored" the beach or corrida episodes of the first season of Pokemon.

Really nothing new, except the fear-mongering surrounding it (^%
Apr 11, 2018 4:15 AM

Apr 2015
Clebardman said:
@Gabriel_P_Forest I remember when all these "SJW" "censored" the beach or corrida episodes of the first season of Pokemon.

Really nothing new, except the fear-mongering surrounding it (^%

It was a problem back then as well. That's sort of the point. We fought for so long to liberate art from conservative and Christian censorship that we are not willing to allow this to happen again. We were getting better for a while, but then liberal censorship took over where the conservatives left off. Those of us who've experienced both the censorship of old and the modern lessening of said censorship are not willing to hand over entertainment to any more of these groups just because a new political ideology is in town.
Apr 11, 2018 4:15 AM

Aug 2014
xShinigami3125 said:

I have the same question.
Seems unnecessary trash.
Apr 11, 2018 5:01 AM

Oct 2014
Energetic-Nova said:
Guilion said:

if you do not buy the product, your opinion does not matter. If another group of people buys the product, their opinion does matter.
Since I purchased products, my opinion matters. I do have a price tag by which I will buy it. There is a such thing as an anime that is too expensive for me. I am a consumer who is worth winning over because I will buy anime provided it is for a price I find acceptable. And I have so many anime that I want to watch, I usually do not have to resort to pirating. If it is available, and the price is low, I will not pirate .

Well Bocott doesn't help indeed.

Negative feedback on the other hand does because that can prevent ppl from getting interested into the product and cause ppl to leave the product.
The Gamergate line in Prison school DUB got removed due to negative feadback.

Plus supporting and creating products that you like will make them listen.

Although things might change if Westerncompanies take it over from the "I pay you poorly" japanese committees.
Apr 11, 2018 5:07 AM

Jul 2016
please no

no more neckbeards blaming esjaydoubleus for everything bad happening in the industry.

Also, what SJWs? Japan is one of the most counterprogressive countries in the first world lol
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Apr 11, 2018 5:31 AM
Oct 2009
Stop politicize my animes you fucking idiots.
Get away from animes and games and do whatever you want, just want enjoy my game and animes without this political shit.
fuck gamergate, fuck sjw and whatever doing politicize everything the shit out.
just fuck you.

Manaban said:
I don't exactly like the concept that it's immediately being made into an SJW versus anti-SJW type thing where people are making it an issue of target audiences and consumer capitalism when the main concern here is stuff along the lines of the Danmachi thing where there's controversy because it isn't being deemed to be appropriate for the audience. That is censorship. And that and the use of politicization tactics making references that are prominent in the west and not in Japan like in Prison School's dub and that kind of tampering in order to send messages against opposing ideologies isn't exactly something I'd deem kosher, either, not giving a fuck what the stance is for. Tampering with the original content only for the sake of pushing a political agenda and nothing else is just not cool.

Also, Japan will kowtow to other countries in the face of controversy. They did so with the manga that drew a dick on Ghenghis Khan's forehead recently, they're not this impenetrable fortress that is going to never listen to outside opinion on their content and that notion of invincibility that seems to come along with it should be discarded as nothing more than mere fantasy, regardless of where you stand on this topic. They will listen to the outside, they will listen to the outside media. Like, it's not just me postulating here, it happens.

It isn't as black as white as SJW versus anti-SJW or left versus right, they'll both be for and against this sort of thing whenever it suits their narrative the best and there's nothing that can be done about those people who let their political ideologies permeate all aspects of their existence. It's a matter of the kind of tampering that's already started to come into play being a thing - consumer capitalism and market trends are natural and can't be helped, but what we've gotten so far is political outcries, agenda pushing, and legitimate censorship rather than just changes in market trends, and that's absolutely no good and is a definite cause for concern, no matter how much some people in this thread seem like they'd like to handwave it off.

These idiots just pushing their political agendas not more not less.
If they want politics then they should discuss they'r shit in a political forum, but no lets politicize everything in life and destroy everything!
Westerners destroy everything with their fuckin politics.
Apr 11, 2018 6:03 AM

Apr 2018
Anime gate? Gamer gate? lolololol.
Apr 11, 2018 6:18 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Unless its done by Japanese media which is unlikely i doubt it will become a thing. 90% of the worlds anime is produced in Japan and their studios have plenty of freedom to create what they want without interference from the government. Western media may bark all they want but there's little they can do to affect anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 11, 2018 6:26 AM
Oct 2009
Shingster said:
Unless its done by Japanese media which is unlikely i doubt it will become a thing. 90% of the worlds anime is produced in Japan and their studios have plenty of freedom to create what they want without interference from the government. Western media may bark all they want but there's little they can do to affect anime.

Well... japanese media is very censorship heavy. :/
Everything with brutality or sexuality is censored in anime what is sad, but it doesn't mean you must politicize animes its jsut stupid.
Apr 11, 2018 7:14 AM

Feb 2018
Xaelath said:
xShinigami3125 said:

I have the same question.
Seems unnecessary trash.

Yea it is (what a surprise xd).......
Apr 11, 2018 7:16 AM

Feb 2018
FlashFlash said:
Developing abilities and extrasensory powers, practicing meditation, empowering your soul, yoga and developing psychological and psychological skills over the average, powers of the mind and of the soul. Free yourself. Learn about magick, spells, ancient spirituality, christianity lies and more others. Learn about jewish New World Order and jewish control over bank, financial system, TV, internet, the governments of the world.

See the truth and free yourself. This message is of extreme importance. Do not ignore.

Visit:

Ancient Forums wbesite [english]
Exposing Christianity website [english]
Joy of Satan website [english]
Exposing Islam website [english]

Wtf is wrong with you ? crazy people like you are scary....
Apr 11, 2018 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
Tsukeru-kun said:

If they want politics then they should discuss they'r shit in a political forum, but no lets politicize everything in life and destroy everything!

You said it yourself: westerners.

Are you worried about western cartoons or Japanese anime?
Apr 11, 2018 7:37 AM
Oct 2009
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Tsukeru-kun said:

You said it yourself: westerners.

Are you worried about western cartoons or Japanese anime?

It's not about i'm worried about something, i'm just sick of people forcing their political opinion to gamers and anime fans.
i just want watch and enjoy my games and if i'm discussing about it i don't want to see this dogshit

And if there is something you don't like, like censorship boycott that crap or move you ass to government building and protest it.
But no they think you can change it with stupid memes and being in hotel mama.
Apr 11, 2018 7:56 AM

Mar 2012
Like the video game fandom, the English-speaking anime fandom has many salty boys who don't realize that http://lmgtfy.com/?q=all+art+is+propaganda

So yeah, I'd say we're ripe for more whining about "ethics" and "political correctness" and so on.
JoshApr 11, 2018 7:59 AM
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» when was the last time you truly fell in love with a character and vice versa?

ame - 58 minutes ago

7 by Serafos »»
9 minutes ago

» Why do people hate MAPPA?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

44 by Nirinbo »»
14 minutes ago

» What are you gonna watch next season?

Pinoffin - 2 hours ago

6 by MeguSae38 »»
22 minutes ago

» What's your most controversial anime among your favorites? ( 1 2 3 )

Kushna - Apr 5

123 by Anjuro »»
23 minutes ago

» Which anime uses its narrative and characters to explore existential questions about the meaning of life?

LowIqSalty - Yesterday

13 by ToG25thBaam »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.