Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 24, 7:10 AM

Sep 2019
everytime i open an anime thread that is an anime made by MAPPA, i always see people bashing MAPPA. But they made absolute bangers with great animations, like Jujutsu Kaisen, AOT, Chainsaw Man and even Yuri On Ice. So why the hate?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 24, 7:16 AM

Aug 2021
most of the hate ive seen for mappa is because of how badly the workers are treated, but there could be other reasons
May 24, 7:28 AM

Oct 2019
They hate the executives that were responsible for the work ethic their workers have to go through. It has been memed a lot but I guess MAPPA was the most popular one out of all the studios that had to animate juicy action sequences. I've also provided my perspective about the studio regarding the JJK S2 review but that's a different story. You have to understand something, there were workers saying they had only a week to animate an episode before it had to be released on TV and if you watch EP 17 of JJK S2, you can definitely see they were forced to cut some corners and it still somehow broke the internet.

I think the other hate you're addressing is just people who are too biased to see past the whole "There is only a specific amount of anime that I consider the greatest and I don't want to change my mind." facade. It's just very common and you have to kind of understand people are just what they seem. It's like how I felt with Chainsaw Man, Demon Slayer, and Mushoku Tensei. Sometimes it's for a petty reason, sometimes it's justified. Though I agree with your perspective. I think people just need to accept that everyone has different tastes and they can't expect others to think the same way. I'm also pretty bored of the whole negative reviews getting more clout than the positive ones did, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't stop paying attention to the positive ones either.

Take me for example, I never really understand why some of the most renowned people on the community seems to hold avant grade anime in such a high manner they seem to think it simply exists on a different level of panel, meanwhile it always seems pretentious and juvenile to me, something that wants to act like it's asking the real questions but only wanted to create an echo chamber with people that might think they have the same thoughts. Yet, it still exists. In the end, you can choose to avoid it, but sometimes there can be so much, you can't seem to avoid it anymore.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 24, 7:34 AM

Nov 2023
Its a very popular studio that has mostly been flacked for poor work etic, crunch time all that jazz you see in Japanese culture
May 24, 7:37 AM

Dec 2022
Simple, they don't like the rise of a "new-er" studio and people dont like cgi even thought mappa does amazing, only other thing is the quality of the workspace there with animators being overworked.

May 24, 7:39 AM

Sep 2018
Aside from work ethics, the real reasons are:

- AoT and Vinland Saga looking worse than Wit's seasons (I personally don't care since Marley arc of s4 pt1 is the only arc of the AoT anime that wasn't boring for me)
- Chainsaw Man cinematic adaptation (which indeed gives quite a different feel from the manga, but I don't see it as a problem since the vast majority of anime adaptations do the same thing as the manga but worse)

Not one of my favorite studios but they made some good anime like Dorohedoro, Idaten Deities and Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni.
May 24, 7:41 AM

Oct 2018
Easiest way to explain is: MAPPA is the Zack Snyder of anime
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
May 24, 7:49 AM

Dec 2020
Because of the terrible way they treat there animators. To be fair, this happens with a lot of other studios and has been happening for many years now, but the discussion of this issue really exploded because of how massive jjk was.
May 24, 7:54 AM
Feb 2021
Simple it's work ethics. I don't care about mappa but now because of work ethics I hate the studio.
May 24, 7:56 AM

Feb 2020
Work ethics indeed. :/ It also came to my mind first.
May 24, 8:29 AM

Sep 2022
Reply to Phosphophyllita
Easiest way to explain is: MAPPA is the Zack Snyder of anime
@Phosphophyllita

Zack Snyder is dope as hell.
𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙘𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚. - 𝙕𝙖𝙘𝙝
May 24, 8:41 AM

Apr 2024
Reply to NessieMAL
Simple, they don't like the rise of a "new-er" studio and people dont like cgi even thought mappa does amazing, only other thing is the quality of the workspace there with animators being overworked.
Everyone said about the work ethics already and I can't disagree. Although work ethics in anime industry is generally a problem everywhere, it must be something about MAPPA they are simply hated for it.

@NessieMAL

people dont like cgi even thought mappa does amazing

Great take! Now watch Black★Rock Shooter (TV) (2012) and take your wrong opinion back.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 24, 8:42 AM

Oct 2019
I don't, as far as I'm concerned, they are a good studio.

The only thing I don't like from them is what they did with aot s4 p1 and p2.

I would put them in the same tier as bones. they alway deliver quality, sometimes even mind blowing stuff, but they don't have a touch unique to them that makes the studio as a whole stand out.

and while it always delivers some quality, its not nearly as consistant as wit or kyoani.

I guess madhouse is a favourite of mine despite being similar, but madhouse has made like half of my all time favourites, so they get a pass lol
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 24, 9:04 AM

Dec 2021
For over-working their employees to death.
May 24, 9:17 AM

Apr 2021
Because they are too popular and made some mainstream animes (some might say "because of how they treat their employees blah blah blah" as if that isn't just an excuse and they wouldn't still hate them if they had no issues like that)
May 24, 9:37 AM
Oct 2019
Some people hate them just because they're contrarians, and Mappa has become a pretty popular studio due to their work on Jujutsu Kaisen, Attack on Titan, and Chainsaw Man. Some people hate them because of the CGI they used in Attack on Titan, and the direction of the Chainsaw Man anime. Some people hate them because of their inhumane working conditions for their animators.

The third reason is really the only good one, but it's not an issue exclusive to Mappa. It's an industry-wide issue where people focus too much on Mappa specifically due to their massive popularity and mainstream status as one of the few studios that almost all modern anime fans know by name.
May 24, 9:43 AM

Dec 2022
Reply to PostMahouShoujo
Everyone said about the work ethics already and I can't disagree. Although work ethics in anime industry is generally a problem everywhere, it must be something about MAPPA they are simply hated for it.

@NessieMAL

people dont like cgi even thought mappa does amazing

Great take! Now watch Black★Rock Shooter (TV) (2012) and take your wrong opinion back.

Love how we had to go back to 2012 maybe look at the most recent titles they have done, no reason to go back 12 years to use it as a reason why people hate then NOW.

May 24, 9:48 AM

Oct 2010
they destroyed chainsaw man and I will never forgive them, there is a special place in hell for nakayama and his staff who made the anime.
May 24, 10:07 AM

Jul 2021
It's very simple. Popularity and work ethics. Mappa is arguably the most popular studio these days for adapting popular anime like aot, jjk, & csm. Along with that, Mappa was plagued by work ethics cases that went public. So, simply put, if there are people who are famous and make a little mistake, there are also many people who hate them because they are famous, let alone this is a big enough mistake to be widely spread to the public so that inevitably there are more and more haters of Mappa studio.

𝕊𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕠 - 𝕊𝕖𝕚𝕤𝕙𝕦𝕟'𝕤 ℙ𝕝𝕒𝕪𝕝𝕚𝕤𝕥
"Time doesn't heal anything, it just teaches us how to live with pain." —Itachi Uchiha
May 24, 10:08 AM

Jun 2016
I've heard a lot of things:
3D that doesn't look that much better than stuff that came out 10 years ago, working conditions, Attack on Titan adaptations that look worse than what the previous company many, long awaited Chainsaw man adaptation that wasn't as impressive as the pre-release hype from fans made it out to be, shit working conditions and staff meltdowns on twitter, "inability to make kino" (heard that on /a/), "generic with a lack of style" (also heard that on /a/), 3D Dorohedoro adaptation, making too much shit, visual inconsistency

This has been a compilation of stuff that's been posted over the years. If there's more please let know.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 24, 10:11 AM

Aug 2010
People hate MAPPA? i know we hate how the workers are treated, but...

Anyone who genuinely thinks MAPPA is a low-tier anime company are just biased, they have some great animation under their belts.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

May 24, 10:17 AM

Oct 2017
Horrible working conditions is why I dislike them, but some people dislike them just cuz they do so much popular stuffy
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
May 24, 10:20 AM

Feb 2023
Horrible working conditions, many bad anime are made by them, and many more reasons. Biggest reason is the bad working conditions.
May 24, 10:42 AM

Dec 2007
I appreciate some of their stuff but they fucked up AoT big time which pissed quite a few people off, me included. Horrendous coloring and outlines. Looks a million times worse than the previous three seasons from Studio Wit.
May 24, 11:22 AM

Apr 2022
Their CEO sucks, they take too many major projects and give them crappy production, it was very noticeable when they adapted Jigokuraku and then JJK, there is no comparison. Then they released a movie with 10/10 animation and in Japan it did horrible at the box office and in the west they released it on Netflix, the production and budget for that kind of project could be used on CSM, jigokuraku, Vinland or any other. The animators were publicly complaining about the company's treatment and it's horrible to see how they imply that they are depressed and stressed. I get tired of thinking about the stupid things they have done. GOD, the deadlines of the last episodes of CSM that they barely finished them.

Mushiyo worked on the first season of JJK IN 2021, imagine the workers of the second season without deadlines.

Hey dude
May 24, 11:50 AM

Jul 2021
I'm of the opinion that MAPPA's working conditions have nothing or very little to do with the hate the studio gets from the anime fandom. The majority don't seem to care about that stuff, and only bring it up when they're pushed to explain their position.

It's more likely that they are hated largely because of working on so many gigantic Shounen action shows that tend to attract a lot of viewers and passionate fans (and haters). I'm pretty sure people won't have such strong opinions about them if they worked on fewer, smaller shows (not that MAPPA should be doing that).

Did people complain about their work on Bucchigiri?! or Dance Dance Danseur? I don't really think so?
perseiiMay 24, 11:59 AM
May 24, 11:52 AM

Jan 2009
its mainly about bad working conditions
May 24, 12:06 PM

May 2021
40% work ethics stuff (which, frankly, is a problem with most studios this side of KyoAni, but MAPPA is the most visible case among the community) and 60% nerd rage. Whether that be people projecting whatever problems they have with their productions onto the studio as a whole (Chainsaw Man & AoT Final Season, for example) or just the “It’s Popular So It Sucks!” effect taking hold, the majority of the MAPPA hate is for unjustified reasons. I’m not saying that there aren’t good reasons to hate MAPPA (again, terrible working conditions), but by and large that aspect is more supplemental to the preexisting MAPPA backlash rather than the root of it
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
May 24, 12:34 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to shiro-seishun
It's very simple. Popularity and work ethics. Mappa is arguably the most popular studio these days for adapting popular anime like aot, jjk, & csm. Along with that, Mappa was plagued by work ethics cases that went public. So, simply put, if there are people who are famous and make a little mistake, there are also many people who hate them because they are famous, let alone this is a big enough mistake to be widely spread to the public so that inevitably there are more and more haters of Mappa studio.
shiro-seishun said:

I agree and not everyone will like what studio like MAPPA do or work on and how they handle what the production committee wants or so.
May 24, 12:48 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
while they do produce shows that are above average in quality and they take on the adaptations of some of the most popular stuff out there, so unless you're an elitist it's kind of hard to hate them entirely, they do kind of suck and justify the hate they get and honestly, all the examples you gave of beloved shows they made actually prove that they suck.

jjk - super inconsistent and messy second season that dropped the ball hard with the staff changes and terrible production schedule.

aot - their seasons are a very noticable downgrade from wit's earlier seasons in regards to production quality.

chainsaw man - kind of mid and some disappointing CG, but i don't blame them here entirely as the production was pretty solid, but maybe next time invest more in animation, rather than in multiple ending songs.

yuri on ice - haven't seen it but it's super lame how they had fans wait for years for the sequel only to have them cancel and abandon it because it isn't as lucrative as jjk or stuff i guess.

and this how most of their stuff is, kind of solid in some way, until the animation quality declines due to their terrible management or something else that sucks happens.

i just hope they'll give me my zombieland saga movie that they promised.
May 24, 12:48 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to mentalmondai
most of the hate ive seen for mappa is because of how badly the workers are treated, but there could be other reasons
mentalmondai said:
большая часть ненависти, которую я видел в отношении Mappa, связана с тем, как плохо обращаются с рабочими, но могут быть и другие причины

This is the reality. To achieve success, you often need to be able to meet tight deadlines, do your work efficiently and painstakingly, and overwork. But, I believe that MAPPA is doing better with this than, for example, Shafle
May 24, 1:18 PM

May 2021
Besides the working conditions my beef with MAPPA is their absolute overload of series that they take on. AOT, Chainsaw Man, Hell's Paradise, JJK, Vinland Saga, etc.

I'm over here patiently waiting for Dorohedoro's new season and some news regarding a Kakegurui continuation.
May 24, 1:23 PM

Dec 2019
Their quality (shit adaptations) compared to cost (unethical employee treatment) is so bad it's infuriating

Several studios unfortunately suffer from horrific work conditions (WIT, Shaft, SARU), however unlike MAPPA, they ACTUALLY deliver quality. Notice how everybody forgot about Jigokuraku, or even Dorohedoro cuz of how bad their adaptations were?
May 24, 1:24 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to Euroqean
Their quality (shit adaptations) compared to cost (unethical employee treatment) is so bad it's infuriating

Several studios unfortunately suffer from horrific work conditions (WIT, Shaft, SARU), however unlike MAPPA, they ACTUALLY deliver quality. Notice how everybody forgot about Jigokuraku, or even Dorohedoro cuz of how bad their adaptations were?
@Euroqean
Euroqean said:
однако, в отличие от MAPPA, они ДЕЙСТВИТЕЛЬНО обеспечивают качество
Are you seriously saying that Shaft makes MAPPA better?
May 24, 1:40 PM

Aug 2021
Reply to Swyzen
mentalmondai said:
большая часть ненависти, которую я видел в отношении Mappa, связана с тем, как плохо обращаются с рабочими, но могут быть и другие причины

This is the reality. To achieve success, you often need to be able to meet tight deadlines, do your work efficiently and painstakingly, and overwork. But, I believe that MAPPA is doing better with this than, for example, Shafle
@Swyzen no you dont need to do that actually
May 24, 1:56 PM

Jan 2017
APolygons2 said:
I guess madhouse is a favourite of mine despite being similar

They are even more similar than what you may think... they basically have the exact same story behind it, and the same founder.

Madhouse was originally created to give people of the industry with innovative ideas a place and means to put into practice what they had in mind, or adapt works that no one was interested into, even if everyone else deemed it as bad or impossible. They are the ones who allowed Satoshi Kon to let loose, or somehow kept doing Redline, despite facing bankruptcy, for example.

But in the end, over the years, they got owned and just chased money, only adapting series that were already very popular... That's when one of the co-founder had enough, and left to create Mappa, and re-do what Madhouse was doing at first. That's why we got Yuri on Ice, when the idea of a story revolving around figure skating was rejected by everyone else... and then it did exactly like Madhouse, and chased money, so the founder left and created yet another studio; M2.

So yeah, like people say in this thread, the current work ethics of Mappa is sad, but it is even more when you know that it was created partially with the idea in mind to avoid all of that.

Edit : If you are interested in that, there is this YouTube video by The Canipa Effect.
Alexioos95May 24, 1:59 PM
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 24, 1:56 PM

Feb 2024
Reply to mentalmondai
@Swyzen no you dont need to do that actually
mentalmondai said:
нет, вообще-то, тебе не нужно этого делать
I thought and you're right. But it all depends on the scale.
May 24, 3:18 PM
Aug 2018
MAPPA is a great studio, but I just wanted WIT Studio to continue and finish Attack on Titan, not some other studio like MAPPA. It doesn't feel the same.
May 24, 3:25 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Nirinbo
Aside from work ethics, the real reasons are:

- AoT and Vinland Saga looking worse than Wit's seasons (I personally don't care since Marley arc of s4 pt1 is the only arc of the AoT anime that wasn't boring for me)
- Chainsaw Man cinematic adaptation (which indeed gives quite a different feel from the manga, but I don't see it as a problem since the vast majority of anime adaptations do the same thing as the manga but worse)

Not one of my favorite studios but they made some good anime like Dorohedoro, Idaten Deities and Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni.
Nirinbo said:
Vinland Saga looking worse than Wit's seasons

Not only does Vinland Saga keep most of it's core staff from season 1, meaning that aesthetically it's basically remained the same, but in some aspects, it's actually an improvement and more consistent overall, only real "losing point" is the action. Drawings are more consistent across the board due to Abiru's bigger involvement, Yabuta and Kobayashi both delivering more frequently and with insane quality, and even when it actually had MAPPA-regulars like Tokio Igarashi in an episode, it managed to get even better.
May 24, 3:26 PM

Jul 2013
Well, does anyone take the Internet seriously lol? I don't. Does it matter what other people think about a certain anime production studio? No, it does not.
May 24, 3:35 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to betaweeb
while they do produce shows that are above average in quality and they take on the adaptations of some of the most popular stuff out there, so unless you're an elitist it's kind of hard to hate them entirely, they do kind of suck and justify the hate they get and honestly, all the examples you gave of beloved shows they made actually prove that they suck.

jjk - super inconsistent and messy second season that dropped the ball hard with the staff changes and terrible production schedule.

aot - their seasons are a very noticable downgrade from wit's earlier seasons in regards to production quality.

chainsaw man - kind of mid and some disappointing CG, but i don't blame them here entirely as the production was pretty solid, but maybe next time invest more in animation, rather than in multiple ending songs.

yuri on ice - haven't seen it but it's super lame how they had fans wait for years for the sequel only to have them cancel and abandon it because it isn't as lucrative as jjk or stuff i guess.

and this how most of their stuff is, kind of solid in some way, until the animation quality declines due to their terrible management or something else that sucks happens.

i just hope they'll give me my zombieland saga movie that they promised.
betaweeb said:
super inconsistent and messy second season that dropped the ball hard with the staff changes and terrible production schedule

The inconsistency and terrible schedule are undeniable, but "dropped the ball with the staff changes"? The fuck is that supposed to mean? Pretty much all of the staff changes were for the better. Goshozono may not have as much punch as Park when it comes to pure fighting, but as a director, he's a million times better. Better sense for aesthetic, better composition in his work, better sense of timing, etc. Not to mention it was because of him that other big names like Arifumi Imai and Miso could get involved.

And I don't even need to say anything about how infinitely better the color design and art direction is compared to season 1. You have the entire Hidden Inventory arc to see how what this team can actually do much when they can polish their work.
May 24, 3:39 PM

Apr 2021
Reply to Euroqean

Euroqean said:
Notice how everybody forgot about Jigokuraku, or even Dorohedoro cuz of how bad their adaptations were?

Jigokuraku was terrible, but people have been asking for Dorohedoro to get a sequel for years, which is literally the opposite of it being "forgotten". Not to mention that both series you wanna use as examples are those who have their source material over, and barely any news on their sequels.

Just because a series doesn't have constant talk about it, doesn't mean it was "forgotten".
May 24, 5:05 PM

Jan 2021
because they're a slave using corporation
May 24, 5:22 PM

Aug 2022
I feel that due to their high profile shows, they became very notable for mainstream anime audiences... to the point that some of them seem to know only of Mappa or Ufotable, and are unaware of the existence of other studios such as Kyoto Animation or Production IG.
May 25, 12:14 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to Oongbuh
Nirinbo said:
Vinland Saga looking worse than Wit's seasons

Not only does Vinland Saga keep most of it's core staff from season 1, meaning that aesthetically it's basically remained the same, but in some aspects, it's actually an improvement and more consistent overall, only real "losing point" is the action. Drawings are more consistent across the board due to Abiru's bigger involvement, Yabuta and Kobayashi both delivering more frequently and with insane quality, and even when it actually had MAPPA-regulars like Tokio Igarashi in an episode, it managed to get even better.
@Oongbuh I must have misremembered, the only thing I can tell for sure is that I saw one panel of the manga and it was 1000x more beautiful than s2 (but that doesn't mean s1 looked much different).
May 25, 11:11 AM

Jul 2013
>why do people hate MAPPA?

Because they produced Attack On Titan. Simple as that.
May 25, 1:40 PM

Jul 2016
Good anime but puts their employees in a blender
May 26, 6:37 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to mentalmondai
@mentalmondai

Yeah, this.
Also: It's a big studio that gets a lot of ID's. Hate is naturally coming to them xD
May 26, 8:55 PM
Oct 2023
Their workers are overworked, their anime is good
May 26, 9:15 PM

Oct 2022
Well I was going to give my reason but 40 people beat me to it.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your favourite thing about Anime? and what is the anime that does this thing the best?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

31 by ColourWheel »»
6 minutes ago

» Name Two Anime you want to crossover?

RedTea33 - 10 hours ago

12 by Serafos »»
7 minutes ago

» Should anime strive to be more realistic?

Pokitaru - 7 hours ago

11 by SasakiYuuto »»
9 minutes ago

» Waifus that will cuck you (nominate 1 or 2 characters)

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

7 by IpreferEcchi »»
16 minutes ago

» What's the most recent Media your favorite Animes have Gotten

Lol1268 - 4 hours ago

15 by Shirayukin »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.