Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 4, 2017 5:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sensei is awesome. I hope to see more of her in the future.

The episode had a mystical feel to it imo. For one thing, I kinda like how confident Pho is becoming now.
The way they fought against that monster honestly was strange. I've never seen a monster quite like that before this season. It's like a oversized slime with tentacles and just yuck.
Nov 4, 2017 12:12 PM
Jun 2011
you lost something you gain something in exchange. in phos case she lost her legs but got legs with incredible speed
Nov 4, 2017 12:14 PM

Oct 2014
Phos messed up big time trusting the king, but it worked out in the end with her new legs. If the king wasn't totally cruel then maybe Phos wouldn't have gotten out of that situation, but it doesn't seem like she'll have to rely on others anymore.

This episode defined more stakes for gemstones. Phos lost a bit of her memory because she lost a part of her body. It wasn't particularly sad that she couldn't remember Jade but I could see that rule being revisited later on.
Nov 4, 2017 12:31 PM

Dec 2012
I can't explain why I love this anime so much. I will definitely read the manga after the anime. Every time I watch this anime I just enjoy it so much. Also, this episode was all kind of amazing like usual. Still having problem of thinking them as genderless, genderfluid is easier but each to their own.
Nov 4, 2017 12:44 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
When Cinnabar saw Phos washed up at the shore completely demoralized and without legs, that was a strong moment. Animation is still super creative.

Phos got new legs though which apparently make her run very fast so that's something to get her morale up :D

This episode portrayed for me that Soul, Flesh and Bone all fight for their sake and we can't comdemn anyone being a bad nor a good group. We are just following the Bones in the story.
Nov 4, 2017 1:08 PM

Jul 2017
So Phos became the flash? Look out Barry Allan, there is another speedster on the loose
Nov 4, 2017 2:10 PM

Aug 2013
That was feels but I'm glad Phos got new legs at least. Man this show is really enjoyable. I wanna read the manga now. What chapter are we at as of this week manga readers?
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 4, 2017 2:31 PM
Nov 2016
im wondering can they make new gems and so new people out of the shell that now is just lies on the sea floor?
Nov 4, 2017 2:32 PM
Dec 2015
I'm slightly disappointed at how Phos' legs look. In the manga volume covers, they have a more colorful pattern, and even in your typical black and white chapter they display a pattern. In the anime it is hard to see the purple-ish reflection and instead it looks like pure black.

Volume 2 Cover | Chapter 11 | Anime

Zantius said:
That was feels but I'm glad Phos got new legs at least. Man this show is really enjoyable. I wanna read the manga now. What chapter are we at as of this week manga readers?

Episode 5 ended adapting chapter 11. Basing it off the title and scenes of the preview, next episode will end with chapter 14.
ApsidelosNov 4, 2017 2:41 PM
Nov 4, 2017 2:39 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Nice episode. It feels like Phos is about to make a big transformation and perhaps become a useful, contributing member of the family. I like that after tragedy, Phos is able to find a way to take control of life again and become more than before. Sure, there's a little moping and self-pity, but after remembering promising Cinnabar to look again the next day, Phos is off like a rocket! :)

I've thought this since the beginning, but these gems have some really great asses. That said, the younger brother snail's is better than any of the gems'. That's a work of art! He's got a nice face too, even though he reminds me of Bort in a lot of ways.

OTrizy said:
Still having problem of thinking them as genderless, genderfluid is easier but each to their own.

Personally I think "genderless" is inaccurate. They're asexual (i.e., physically have no sex hormones or genitalia), but they do have gender. Some have more masculine traits and behaviors (Rutile, Bort), and some are more feminine (Dia, Red Beryl... though I think of Red Beryl more as a a feminine boy). That's how I see them.

✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Nov 4, 2017 2:48 PM
Oct 2017
maxmolen said:
im wondering can they make new gems and so new people out of the shell that now is just lies on the sea floor?

No, because the shell's agate don't have inclusions.
Nov 4, 2017 3:37 PM

Aug 2013
Apsidelos said:
I'm slightly disappointed at how Phos' legs look. In the manga volume covers, they have a more colorful pattern, and even in your typical black and white chapter they display a pattern. In the anime it is hard to see the purple-ish reflection and instead it looks like pure black.

Volume 2 Cover | Chapter 11 | Anime

Zantius said:

Episode 5 ended adapting chapter 11. Basing it off the title and scenes of the preview, next episode will end with chapter 14.

*tips glass* Thank you kindly
Don't believe the hype.
Nov 4, 2017 3:44 PM

Aug 2012
-hold up, one of them is named watermelon
-did dia just say that cinnabar had no heart
-something tells me ventricosus isn't gonna be regenning that limb back
-phos is fuckin hilarious
-so even the snail people are being hunted by the moon people for sport. they might have
-that blank stare phos has with half of her face chipped off
-hey they left behind some phos shards when they bailed off of the platform
-oh so the reason aculeatus broke those spines off his shell was to replace phos's legs?
-wow cinnabar didn't even tell the rest of them that phos got washed onto the shore
-is... is rutile blind
-🅱ingo 🅱ongo here comes the kongo
-phos got fuckin fired
-nice, striped thigh-highs
-looks like phos went from record keeper to combat unit, at least going off of the title of the next episode

I suppose this was a decent enough episode, although the sound direction was pretty iffy with those Lunarian firebrands. Seems to me that the weapons sound design is the weakest in the show from a production value standpoint. Despite that, it still manages to look pretty gorgeous, especially in the scene after Aculeatus wiped out the Lunarians, and when the Phos search party was looking amidst all the glowing jellyfish. In terms of actual content of the episode, I think only two moments really stood out for me. One of them was when Dia became absolutely savage and threw a bunch of shade on Cinnabar by saying she didn't have a heart, and the other one was Phos getting new legs. The Dia moment was pretty funny since it came out of absolutely nowhere, and I happen to think that the visual design of Phos's new legs is actually pretty cool. Maybe even the post-battle dialogue with Aculeatus, Ventricosus, and Phos regarding how both of their species are persecuted by the Lunarians, but that struck me more as decent rather than stand-out. It seems that the dialogue that I like the most in this show either relates to the worldbuilding or is funny banter between characters. Unfortunately it seems like these two types of dialogue were less apparent in this episode.

Also on my first watch-through I didn't get what Phos meant when she said that Ventricosus's touch doesn't always melt her, but then I remembered that was a pretty big plot point of episodes 2 and 3.
Nov 4, 2017 4:14 PM
Aug 2017
I pretty much rolled over when aculeatus was shown. i love his design to bits _(:/
i think they did a pretty good job adapting the chapters, like it gives so much more to the gems. E.g. Cinnabar and Dia roasting him lmao.

and I love love LOVE Sensei when he can be intimidating >u>;
Nov 4, 2017 4:39 PM
Aug 2014
Bahahahah candy cane legs. The rest of Phos's body is still fragile though so if you trip...
Nov 4, 2017 4:41 PM

Jan 2013
I feel that within character these Gem entities may not be aware of gender/-ex (in the manner Phos didn't understand the reason for the King's breast) so they may not care how they're referred as by others or by us if we were there.

I enjoyed this episode but missed the level of dialoged there was on the previous episode. More speech wasn't needed as the emotions of each character were displayed well, such as Sensei's forceful steps from worry and guilt but I would have wished to hear their reactions to Pho's adventure. Also wished Cinnabar had shared her finding of Phos so they didn't waste energy and resources anymore but considering how she has lived excluded for so long, it wouldn't be within character to confront them about it.

Phos is highly selfish in her way of caring for Cinnabar. She is willing to sacrifice herself in the place of Cinnabar even though Cinnabar wishes to be captured and may be happy knowing she'll be used as bait and will also help out more than one group as a bonus to her capture. I agree with Phos selfishness because I also wish for there to be a purpose for Cinnabar but I felt like sharing because of how reverse this is.

What episode and part did Dia talk badly about Cinnabar?
Couldn't spot it this episode.
Mica-Chan10Nov 4, 2017 4:46 PM
Nov 4, 2017 4:43 PM
Mar 2015
The slug got its brother back Phos is back better than ever and ready to kick some Lunarian ass
Nov 4, 2017 5:43 PM

May 2015
Oh wow, Phos just became a fast runner with those new legs.

Decent episode.

Nov 4, 2017 5:55 PM

Jun 2014
OTrizy said:
I can't explain why I love this anime so much. I will definitely read the manga after the anime. Every time I watch this anime I just enjoy it so much. Also, this episode was all kind of amazing like usual. Still having problem of thinking them as genderless, genderfluid is easier but each to their own.

Very underrated and will never be given the credit it deserves.

Good shows aren't always appreciated and this here is one of them.
Nov 4, 2017 6:15 PM

Dec 2016
Couldn't King salvage Phos' legs from the bottom of the ocean? If the lunarian 'platform' hadn't moved (and i don't think it moved), she'd have only had to drop down and take them. This confuses me.
Nov 4, 2017 6:27 PM

Jun 2015
What a strange encounter with Aculeatus. Phos saying he looks cute was amusing. Everyone looking for her was nice. They really care for her. Sensei stomping the ground was scaring the others. Phos has new legs now. She can run really fast.
Nov 4, 2017 6:29 PM

Mar 2009
Really loved that moment between Cinnabar and Phos.
Nov 4, 2017 6:50 PM
Aug 2017
NyronGTR said:
Couldn't King salvage Phos' legs from the bottom of the ocean? If the lunarian 'platform' hadn't moved (and i don't think it moved), she'd have only had to drop down and take them. This confuses me.

If you drop something in the ocean, it 's hard to find it again since the water currents will sweep everything away. From what I remember, lunarian ships will disappear after they are defeated.
Nov 4, 2017 7:13 PM

Jul 2015
Aaaahhhh, worrying about Phos kind of got me exhausted... Hard to imagine how the characters themselves feel having to deal with it. At least Phos is doing well.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Nov 4, 2017 9:21 PM

Jan 2017
Phos got out of yet another sticky situation. Aculeasis is a pretty cool character and was quite the match for the Lunarians. I am so glad that Ventricosus decided to help Phos out.

I thought it was perfect that Phos ended right where Cinnabar was. No matter what you do you can't fight fate.
Nov 4, 2017 10:04 PM
Jul 2018
Anyone know the ship of Theseus paradox? When will phos become not phos, when all her parts are replaced one by one
Nov 4, 2017 10:20 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Niello said:
maxmolen said:

I may have missed something in one of the previous episodes, but does it say anywhere what these inclusions are? In gemology, an inclusion is anything trapped inside the gem (like bugs in amber for instance), I get that part. I'm just curious what that something is. I can only assume that they're sort of like nano-organisms or something similar that turns plain ol' gemstones into sentient beings. Since they derive energy from sunlight, maybe there are a few solar cells too. ;-)

SajouHikaru said:
I pretty much rolled over when aculeatus was shown. i love his design to bits _(:/

Yes yes! Wasn't he just sex on legs in a shell? My new favorite character in this series, no question, though I love all of the characters for the wide array of personalities they have. I haven't read the manga, but I hope we get to see more of him.

Of note, the character designer for this series was also the chara designer for Vampire Knight and Vampire Knight Guilty. Maybe that explains why they're all oozing sex appeal despite being asexual.

ThreePercent said:
-hold up, one of them is named watermelon

Watermelon tourmaline, also known as elbaite. Actually looks quite a bit like watermelon.
Nov 4, 2017 10:34 PM
Oct 2017
kyoudai said:
Niello said:

I may have missed something in one of the previous episodes, but does it say anywhere what these inclusions are? In gemology, an inclusion is anything trapped inside the gem (like bugs in amber for instance), I get that part. I'm just curious what that something is. I can only assume that they're sort of like nano-organisms or something similar that turns plain ol' gemstones into sentient beings. Since they derive energy from sunlight, maybe there are a few solar cells too. ;-)

Pretty good deduction. Inclusion was actually explained way back in episode 1 as the microorganism which absorbs light, store their memory, gives them energy and allows them to move. That's why in Ventricosus folklore it was mentioned that people of the bones made contract with other organisms and returned to land.

The reason people don't know that is because of the sub. Despite the episode 1 dialogue mentioning it clearly, the translator decided to only put the explanation in the sub and not the term the explanation was clarifying. They realised their mistake this episode, which is why you see them shove in "[comma] microorganisms[comma]" next to when inclusion was first mentioned in the episode.

Of note, the character designer for this series was also the chara designer for Vampire Knight and Vampire Knight Guilty. Maybe that explains why they're all oozing sex appeal despite being asexual.

Out of all things about the designs, I really really wish they had gone with blue and white/clear for Euclase rather than blue/grey.
NielloNov 4, 2017 10:38 PM
Nov 4, 2017 10:58 PM

Dec 2016
I was fearing the worst for both snails when the Lunarians were attacking them both but that brother is very strong.

We also nice to him to get that material that would later become new legs for Phos.

Cinnabar will probably join forces with Phos eventually.

What an upgrade those new legs are for Phos.

Now to wait until next episode to see how they operate in that battle if Phos actually has to do anything, the master might wipe them all out and Bort looks ready to rumble as always.
Nov 4, 2017 11:15 PM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Niello said:
kyoudai said:

Pretty good deduction. Inclusion was actually explained way back in episode 1 as the microorganism which absorbs light, store their memory, gives them energy and allows them to move. That's why in Ventricosus folklore it was mentioned that people of the bones made contract with other organisms and returned to land.

The reason people don't know that is because of the sub. Despite the episode 1 dialogue mentioning it clearly, the translator decided to only put the explanation in the sub and not the term the explanation was clarifying. They realised their mistake this episode, which is why you see them shove in "[comma] microorganisms[comma]" next to when inclusion was first mentioned in the episode.

Ah, cool. That does make sense. I'll have to go back and rewatch episode 1. This time I'll pay more attention to the spoken work and less to the subs. My Japanese is extra so-so, so I may be able to pick out what they're saying.

I have lots of bones to pick with translators in general. It seems like at least once a week I find mistranslations, things they don't explain that they should (like inclusions), etc — and that's not counting spelling and grammatical errors or awkwardly worded translations. They totally ignore double entendre and puns. And they're so inconsistent: They translate "senpai" as "senior" and "nii-san" as whatever the person's name about half the time... but then they leave relatively obscure or specialized words ("hachimaki", "furisode") totally untranslated. Even with my extra so-so Japanese, I still have to look up untranslated words pretty often. I can understand why they might not want to add supertitles for translation notes every 2 minutes, but there should be a happy medium, you know?

Out of all things about the designs, I really really wish they had gone with blue and white/clear for Euclase rather than blue/grey.

Yes, I would agree. It would have been more faithful to actual euclase and also look better. With this art style, blue with clear would have been really awesome.
Nov 4, 2017 11:32 PM
Oct 2017
kyoudai said:

I have lots of bones to pick with translators in general. It seems like at least once a week I find mistranslations, things they don't explain that they should (like inclusions), etc — and that's not counting spelling and grammatical errors or awkwardly worded translations. They totally ignore double entendre and puns. And they're so inconsistent: They translate "senpai" as "senior" and "nii-san" as whatever the person's name about half the time... but then they leave relatively obscure or specialized words ("hachimaki", "furisode") totally untranslated. Even with my extra so-so Japanese, I still have to look up untranslated words pretty often. I can understand why they might not want to add supertitles for translation notes every 2 minutes, but there should be a happy medium, you know?

In general it's understandable when translator want to use more natural word and not translate something like senpai or nii-san. The down side is that they drop the nuance of characters relationships, such as who's older than who, and sometimes can even be bad for the plot going forward.

For this anime I complained quite a bit during the first couple of weeks of this anime, and then I just decided to not care anymore. The second episode when they translate explanation of gems properties as the worse. It was clear they knows jack about the technical details, and instead of searching for more info they pretty much just BS through the thing, that was frustrating. The lore at the start of episode 2 was also wrong. the translator mixed up object and subject of the sentence.

Even in this episode I have spot a few places where it seems like the translator just prioritise convenience over accuracy or correctness. For example, Phos said to Ventricosus that unlike her, he can't think up of ways to save his kin. The translation just put I can't do anything. Ignoring all the details in the rest of the sentence. If I try to pick things apart to much it just won't end.
Nov 5, 2017 1:16 AM
Jul 2018
ahh finally the powerup for phos.
Nov 5, 2017 1:55 AM

Oct 2013
Ok judging by the progress and the number of episodes this is going to have, I have a vague clue on where it's going to stop. Oh boy I hope they don't butcher the scene.

Also reading subs sucks, there's so many errors which can cause misunderstandings. It's probably a much better option to just learn Japanese at this point.
Signature.
Nov 5, 2017 4:18 AM

Sep 2017
Phos got herself a new pair of supersonic legs!

Very interesting episode. Again, I'm just so impressed by how pretty this show is. Now let's see where this goes. It looks like Phos might join the fight against the Lunarians, and it seems like we will see Master fight next episode. Judging by how he was able to shatter Phos just by shouting, he might just wipe out all enemies with one blow.
Nov 5, 2017 4:39 AM

Sep 2016
this was the best episode of the whole season so far hands down
i am so in love with everything this show has to offer its not even funny anymore
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Nov 5, 2017 9:34 AM

Nov 2011
What a wonderful episode! Really sweet the scene in which Ventricosus embraces Phos, very beautiful the graphic style of Aculeatus, in the snail version was also so pretty. The quality of the details in this anime is really high, I've noticed yet again, seeing the hair of Cinabro and the new Legs of Phos. I love this anime, I want more and more.
Nov 5, 2017 9:37 PM

Sep 2016
Really satisfying episode for some reason, probably because Phos would not be looked down anymoree yayy
Nov 6, 2017 2:07 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Its funny how not one believes that she had become serious in her task though. King is more like a prisoner thats being forced to help the luna's though. Its nice to see that in the end King realized that her method of trying to save her family was wrong and decided to rescue Pho's instead of using her. Pho's really made an impact on Cinnabar though i guess for her to want to help in finding her. Even injured Pho's still tries to apologize to Cinnabar thats some dedication. The masters anger sure was scary but at least he caught Pho's before she shattered. So Pho's new legs are the ones that King took off that shell then. It was interesting seeing Jade get depressed when Pho's didn't remember her considering their relationship. Looks like Pho's new legs have made her a much different person now. Interesting episode that gave more insight into King and also transformed Pho's as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 6, 2017 4:05 AM

Feb 2014
Really the gem of the season!!

Btw does anyone have .gifs to the show?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Nov 6, 2017 10:39 AM

Sep 2013
King isn't that heartless after all, the Lunarians get rekt after her brother goes berserk.
Cinnabar with some emotion and Phos losing her Jade memories and master gets mad :'(
She's fast now.
Nov 6, 2017 5:08 PM

Aug 2015
I suppose those legs are an upgrade worth almost dying for.
Everything is so shiny and beautiful.
Nov 6, 2017 11:40 PM

Oct 2008
Oh man! this show is getting better and better!
Cinnabar is the one who found Phos!
Phos's legs are now a hybrid and she became insanely FAST!
5/5.

Nov 7, 2017 1:36 AM

Apr 2015
Beautiful as always. Each chapter the anime gets better and better, the story advances, the characters intervene more, and now the story has taken a sudden turn with Phos's new legs and speed.

Really expecting for the next chapter

Nov 7, 2017 8:43 AM

Nov 2010
I didn't think I could ever love a new anime as much as I do this one. Every episode feels like five minutes and it constantly makes me fidgety worrying about the episode ending and having to wait a week. Just phenomenal.
Nov 7, 2017 11:35 AM

Jul 2015
Now we have Barry Phos, the fastest jewel alive.
Nov 8, 2017 2:48 AM
Mar 2012
So beautiful, giant slug battle, king's brother & shore waves when Phos washed ashore. Cinnabar too tsun verges on mean but at least hauls Phos back.
Spiral agate legs, pretty cool. that looks like a skirt on Phos.
Inclusions & bone, flesh & soul conflict, I like how bits of worldbuilding info only comes when needed.
Before you lose your job, or get crippled like Phos... get some insurance lol.
Nov 9, 2017 5:53 PM

Jan 2014
MY PHOS IS BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Nov 10, 2017 5:35 PM

Jan 2011
That sad Jade though.
Nov 10, 2017 6:31 PM

Apr 2015
Another weird and great episode, that's three in a row. I'm impressed.
Now a definite aots contender for me.
Nov 11, 2017 2:22 PM

Dec 2016
Sucks that Phos lost 1/3 of her memories but now she has cool looking legs and she has super speed. Awesome, and I'm exited to see how they play into the story!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Apr 23, 11:00 AM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 21, 2017

106 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 1, 2023 4:33 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.