Forum Settings
Forums

Worst wish fulfillment anime on the market?

New
Aug 8, 2017 5:34 AM

Aug 2010
So which anime and why do you guys think is the worst wish fulfillment anime out in big?

My pick would be the atrocity called: Sakuraso
I could barely finish it, I just couldn't stand the main character. When I watch anime like this, I just can't help thinking how the aouthor projected themselves to said character.

Do you guys have anime you feel the same way about as I do?

Not just the title, share your thoughts too!
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Aug 8, 2017 5:39 AM

Mar 2017
oryouohagi said:
I just couldn't stand the main character. When I watch anime like this, I just can't help thinking how the aouthor projected themselves to said character.
Don't bully Sorata ...

The worst wish-fulfillment I've ever seen goes to Accel World. I basically hated it from beginning to end. I didn't like any of the characters. I was very bored throughout most of it.
Aug 8, 2017 5:44 AM

Nov 2016
catherine-t said:
The worst wish-fulfillment I've ever seen goes to Accel World. I basically hated it from beginning to end. I didn't like any of the characters. I was very bored throughout most of it.

This. It was just horrible and I couldn't even enjoy a single second.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 8, 2017 5:47 AM

Mar 2015
NHK ni youkoso, that's literaly a hard dick for a hikikomori NEET... you can literaly being a fucking delisonal self-centeric pathethic failure asshole yet you still get pussy swarming at you... at least, accel world MC actually done something good for his harem...

it's really hard for me to take MC and his relationship with character around him seriously at all... it's really idealized.... it piss me off most of time... [s]
KumaAug 8, 2017 5:51 AM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 8, 2017 5:52 AM

Aug 2010
catherine-t said:
oryouohagi said:
I just couldn't stand the main character. When I watch anime like this, I just can't help thinking how the aouthor projected themselves to said character.
Don't bully Sorata ...

I couldn't even finish accel world, it was so pathetic.
Kuma said:
NHK ni youkoso, that's literaly a hard dick for a hikikomori NEET... you can literaly being a fucking delisonla self-centeric pathethivh failure asshole yet you still get pussy swarming at you... at least, accel world MC actually done something good for his harem...

it's really hard for me to take MC and his relationship with character around him seriously at all... it piss me off most of time...

Now that I think about it, it is a damn wish fulfillment to be honest. But it adresses so many other subjects besides being a neet, that I can't really hate it.
Aug 8, 2017 6:02 AM

Dec 2015
Cobra (aka "the space James Bond"). It is probably the only title who is 100% (male) "wish fulfillment". It doesn't shy at it, and never tries to go against that. But it does it in a great way.
Rei_IIIAug 8, 2017 11:57 AM
Aug 8, 2017 6:03 AM

May 2015
Maybe not the worst but the most disappointing: Steins;Gate.
While it has a pretty good example of Mary Sue main character in Okabe Rintarou thanks to his ability Reading Steiner, charisma, social skills and intelligence (except when he needs to be dumb for comedy scenes for likeability) it was a disappinting wish fulfillment anime because he is not able to freely move across the timelines at his will and the anime's female character cast is lacking in amount of potential love interests.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2017 6:05 AM

Aug 2010
zal said:
While it has a pretty good example of Mary Sue main character in Okabe Rintarou thanks to his ability Reading Steiner, charisma, social skills and intelligence (except when he needs to be dumb for comedy scenes for likeability) it fails to be a good wish fulfillment anime since he is not able to freely move across the timelines at his will and the anime's female character cast is lacking in amount of potential love interests.

And it comes from a VN for all I know. I think it's more like a player-close approach, knowing how every gamer feels about themselves (as something better than the average).
Aug 8, 2017 6:06 AM

Jun 2015
If you hated Sakuraso, imagine how much you'd hate it if it got fully adapted.

OT. Some reverse harem something.
Aug 8, 2017 6:06 AM

May 2015
oryouohagi said:
zal said:
While it has a pretty good example of Mary Sue main character in Okabe Rintarou thanks to his ability Reading Steiner, charisma, social skills and intelligence (except when he needs to be dumb for comedy scenes for likeability) it fails to be a good wish fulfillment anime since he is not able to freely move across the timelines at his will and the anime's female character cast is lacking in amount of potential love interests.

And it comes from a VN for all I know. I think it's more like a player-close approach, knowing how every gamer feels about themselves (as something better than the average).
Yeah, probably the VN is more wish-fulfillment/self-insert friendly but I don't play VNs.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2017 6:07 AM

Aug 2015
Isekai Smartphone and a lot of other isekai stories (including manga and LNs) that are already released or yet to come.

I honestly love the isekai genre itself, but almost every new work is just a beta fag getting hit by a truck, then getting reincarnated in a new world with cheat powers and collecting girls like they're items.
Even then you can make something decent out of it, but all those LNs read like they're written to help the author cope with their psychological trauma they got from being bullied at school.
Aug 8, 2017 6:13 AM

Aug 2010
Brb said:
If you hated Sakuraso, imagine how much you'd hate it if it got fully adapted.

OT. Some reverse harem something.

I heard about how much it went off tracks after the anime ended, like MC-kun going full perverted and the whole story turning into a shitty harem. Well, I didn't like it in the first place, so it didn't strike me that hard. I just hated Mashiro, the typical plaything every weeb would want for themselves. They would feel superior to someone for a change.
Kami-Koto said:
Isekai Smartphone and a lot of other isekai stories (including manga and LNs) that are already released or yet to come.

I honestly love the isekai genre itself, but almost every new work is just a beta fag getting hit by a truck, then getting reincarnated in a new world with cheat powers and collecting girls like they're items.
Even then you can make something decent out of it, but all those LNs read like they're written to help the author cope with their psychological trauma they got from being bullied at school.

Yes, I also am a fan of isekai stories, but there are only a handful of them that are actually good, sadly.
Aug 8, 2017 7:11 AM

Nov 2012
oryouohagi said:

I could barely finish it, I just couldn't stand the main character. When I watch anime like this, I just can't help thinking how the aouthor projected themselves to said character.

Elaborate, I don't see what you mean by this.
Aug 8, 2017 7:13 AM

Apr 2017
oryouohagi said:
So which anime and why do you guys think is the worst wish fulfillment anime out in big?

My pick would be the atrocity called: Sakuraso

Do you guys have anime you feel the same way about as I do?

Not just the title, share your thoughts too!

>Expecting to have a sequel of this is even much more worst cause in the Last volume of the LN.. The part of the ending is so MEHHH and they screwed up very badly.
-HippySnob-Aug 8, 2017 7:51 AM

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Aug 8, 2017 7:15 AM

Apr 2013
Didn't expect to see Sakurasou mentioned here O_O
NHK for me as well, that was just horrible.
Aug 8, 2017 7:34 AM

Sep 2011
Gator said:

Same. I never thought of it as a wish-fulfillment anime.

The only one that fits the bill is SAO.

Aug 8, 2017 7:52 AM

Aug 2010
SuperRed said:
oryouohagi said:

The MC is just a characterless mass, yet somehow everyone else centers around him. He gets a 'girlfriend' (plaything) out of nowhere (also a characterless mass) and just gets good passes from life everytime (expect for some sobstories, you always need those). He has no redeeming traits or whatnot, yet he's popular with girls (oh wait, he's kind, like every harem anime mc).

And why is he like this? So that authors can project themselves to their MC kuns. And I just can't stand the thought of that.
Gator said:
NHK for me as well, that was just horrible.

For me, Sakuraso is the definiton of wish fulfillment. It's horrible.
As for NHK, it adresses so many problems with modern society, that I can't with my full heart call it a wish fulfillment anime at all.
Tennouji said:
Gator said:

Same. I never thought of it as a wish-fulfillment anime.

The only one that fits the bill is SAO.

Don't even go there, mate. I couldn't up to this day finish the first season of SAO, and not because of the OP MC or the harem bullshit, but because the premise was just so good (in my opinion at least) and they went ahead and ruined it.
Aug 8, 2017 7:54 AM

Apr 2015
LotGH is the worst wish-fulfillment anime, because it plays to people who have one of these factors:
1) A crippling fascination with warfare form the 1600's-1800's, ignoring the Z-Axis
2) A crippling fascination with military hierarchy
3) Tangentially related to #1, a casual enjoyment of space-sci-fi like Star Trek.
4) It feeds the ego of anyone who believes themselves to be smart, as the entire series only showcases incredibly intelligent characters making intelligent decisions...decisions that are only intelligent because of the vapidness of the world's battle strategies as mentioned above.

Now to see how long until I get bashed for this.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Aug 8, 2017 11:08 AM

Aug 2010
InsaneLeader13 said:
LotGH is the worst wish-fulfillment anime, because it plays to people who have one of these factors:
1) A crippling fascination with warfare form the 1600's-1800's, ignoring the Z-Axis
2) A crippling fascination with military hierarchy
3) Tangentially related to #1, a casual enjoyment of space-sci-fi like Star Trek.
4) It feeds the ego of anyone who believes themselves to be smart, as the entire series only showcases incredibly intelligent characters making intelligent decisions...decisions that are only intelligent because of the vapidness of the world's battle strategies as mentioned above.

Now to see how long until I get bashed for this.

I have a somewhat neutral opinion of that show (not to say I've only seen 30 or so episodes), but I think you are right in what you say.
But this has nothing to do with wish fulfillment of the author. It's more like masterbation for the audience.
Aug 8, 2017 11:25 AM
Jul 2018
- Okay, I haven't seen Accel World, but the description screams wish fulfillment.
- Sword Art Online
- Haven't seen that new smartphone-thing either, but come one...? XD
- GATE: Is an Otaku, gets surrounded by many cute fantasy girls, has cool military skills and the other guys, who are barely there, are just side kicks.
- Nobody mentioned No Game no Life? Sora and his Imouto get away with everything, are supersmart and are overpowered. Tho I view their character more as a parody on other wish fulfillments and questionable siblingrelationships haha.
removed-userAug 8, 2017 11:29 AM
Aug 8, 2017 11:28 AM

Aug 2010
Maneki-Mew said:
- Okay, I haven't seen Accel World, but the description screams wish fulfillment.
- Sword Art Online
- Nobody mentioned No Game no Life? Sora and his Imouto get away with everything, are supersmart and are overpowered. Tho I view their character more as a parody on other wish fulfillments and questionable siblingrelationships haha.

Expect for the NGNL characters are actually very interesting characters, unlike most wish fulfillment characters, not to talk about the intelligent plot (like it or not, it has intelligent turns) I would not call it a wish fulfillment anime by far.
Sao is obvious and accel world author should retire.
Smartphone is cancer
Aug 8, 2017 11:30 AM

Jul 2015
Sakurasou is the only anime where the best girl wins
Suck it you tsundere fags :)

Worst wish fulfillment anime is Re zero
create and develop a perfect waifu material only to reject her in the end
this is not what a wish fulfillment anime should do
tragedydesuAug 8, 2017 11:42 AM
Aug 8, 2017 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
oryouohagi said:
Maneki-Mew said:
- Sword Art Online

Expect for the NGNL characters are actually very interesting characters, unlike most wish fulfillment characters, not to talk about the intelligent plot (like it or not, it has intelligent turns) I would not call it a wish fulfillment anime by far.
Smartphone is cancer

Yes, yes, I know, but she was "too smart for her age"... at the age of 1? Do I remember this right? That must be a parody. XD

(So, added GATE. Forget about it)
Aug 8, 2017 11:35 AM

Nov 2012
oryouohagi said:
SuperRed said:

The MC is just a characterless mass, yet somehow everyone else centers around him. He gets a 'girlfriend' (plaything) out of nowhere (also a characterless mass) and just gets good passes from life everytime (expect for some sobstories, you always need those). He has no redeeming traits or whatnot, yet he's popular with girls (oh wait, he's kind, like every harem anime mc).

And why is he like this? So that authors can project themselves to their MC kuns. And I just can't stand the thought of that.

With all due respect, I think you completely missed the big themes of the anime and it's characters and you're simply judging the MC because he somewhat resembles other weaker protagonists.
Aug 8, 2017 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
oryouohagi said:

Smartphone is cancer

Yes, yes, I know, but she was "too smart for her age"... at the age of 1? Do I remember this right? That must be a parody. XD

Don't forget about the asspulls to win games(chess one especially).
Aug 8, 2017 11:44 AM

Nov 2016
SuperRed said:
oryouohagi said:

With all due respect, I think you completely missed the big themes of the anime and it's characters and you're simply judging the MC because he somewhat resembles other weaker protagonists.

I agree. It's an interesting drama where each character has their own talents and they work together to create something special.

6/10 is actually a rather good score though. I like Sakurasou and I only gave it 1 point more. In fact I plan to rewatch it in the future.

OT: Sword Art Online. Kirito is one of my least favourite male MCs and the romance between him and Asuna felt forced.
Aug 8, 2017 11:53 AM

Aug 2010
tragedydesu said:
Sakurasou is the only anime where the best girl wins
Suck it you tsundere fags :)

Worst wish fulfillment anime is Re zero
create and develop a perfect waifu material only to reject her in the end
this is not what a wish fulfillment anime should do

Rem sucks, deal with it m8.
Alongside with your shitty Mashiro, like blah.
SuperRed said:
oryouohagi said:

Excuse me, but the other characters beautifully portray your everyday LN character tropes. I mean, you can't even call Mashiro a character. Just a moeblob.
Maneki-Mew said:
oryouohagi said:

Smartphone is cancer

Yes, they are idolized characters, if they weren't the plot wouldn't work. Imagine average people going through the situation, winning everything. No one would watch something like that.
Pixel_Vapour said:
SuperRed said:

I agree. It's an interesting drama where each character has their own talents and they work together to create something special.

6/10 is actually a rather good score though. I like Sakurasou and I only gave it 1 point more. In fact I plan to rewatch it in the future.

OT: Sword Art Online. Kirito is one of my least favourite male MCs and the romance between him and Asuna felt forced.

Well, I give everything a high score if you noticed. My mean score is ridiculously high.
Aug 8, 2017 12:04 PM

Jul 2015
@oryouohagi
you hate Sakurasou because your shitty tsundere didn't win
stop lying to yourself :)
Aug 8, 2017 12:14 PM

Aug 2010
tragedydesu said:
@oryouohagi
you hate Sakurasou because your shitty tsundere didn't win
stop lying to yourself :)

Sorry, I couldn't come to like any character from that shitty show expect for the programmer trap. I'm so sorry :) :) :)
Aug 8, 2017 12:41 PM

Dec 2011
SAO has got to be the worst. I still have a hard time believing it wasn't written by a sweaty 12 year old boy. The female characters had no purpose besides falling in love with Kirito and only one of them had even a hint of personality and honestly everything about it just existed for the purpose of making Kirito look good, including the awfully written over the top villains who were only so blatantly one dimentionally awful beyond redemption to highlight how GOOD and HEROIC Kirito is in contrast. Everything about it... Pisses me off, really.

High School DxD takes the cake for worst self insert tool (main character) ever, though.
Aug 8, 2017 1:01 PM

Apr 2016
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is the pinnacle of this. You get to be the role of a boring protagonist who had had almost all semblance of personality surgically removed, as every single girl not currently in a relationship or above the age of like 25 wants your dick, you literally win every single fight with no sweat sans one, and literally everything about everything and everyone revolves around you, almost always directly. Anyone who ideologically opposes you is automatically wrong and anyone who tries to struggle against diversity instead of just silently cope and try to put the adversity past you like you did is fundamentally wrong, and you can instantly heal from any life-threatening injury, even if it turns out that for no adequately explained reason, you feel the pain multiple times over for that brief second or two, only to immediately shrug it off. Not to mention that you can tell people off for wearing revealing clothing as you blatantly check them out all the while (if the camera is anything to go by). Did I forget to mention that you have a really hot sister who won't shut up about how great you are to the point of constantly being defensive about you in a manner of pure reflex, and the fact that you are a master of nearly every single form of combat introduced (and there are like...5, and you clearly keep track of them all and have a higher understanding of each than most people), and the fact that you have been an influential tech developer ever since you were a fucking child?! Also, you invent flying magic over the course of an afternoon from researching what professionals did wrong and doing it right in your apartment.

Before you try to push this sort of thing onto characters with actual personality within narratives that are not necessarily framed entirely from their perspective, in which the characters are not blank slates for the target demographic to project itself on to (you know, like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Death Note, literally Gundam me Macross related, etc. etc.), just know there doesn't work as Mahouka is basically a story with insane levels of protagonist-centered morality and a blank slate protagonist you're meant to fill the role of that just so happens to, and my examples aren't.

Also, the art is insanely bright with no sense of style whatsoever so it literally adds nothing other than eye-strain, it has mediocre at best fight-choreography, the CGI is abysmal, the narrative's ideologies are one to take personal issue with at times when you look deep enough, the OST is among the worst I've listened to (the fucking beeping track that plays at least once every episode for the entirely of the second half of the show is embedded in my psyche), there is always anywhere from 1-3 info dumps per episode that always last 2-5 minutes, in every episode, an absurdly convoluted system of fighting (or whatever is a better way of phrasing it) since it shoves 4 or so combat systems down your throats within the first 2 episodes, major narrative themes that are forgotten midway into the 2nd arc (such as classism and the segregation that from it), and so...so much more. A 1/10 for me.
CodeBlazeFateAug 8, 2017 3:30 PM
Aug 8, 2017 1:04 PM

Apr 2015
I feel like things like Eromanga Sensei and Eiken where very young girls are included in harems have to be the worst. I guess it's better to get your fulfillment from trashy anime showing off twelve-year-old fanservice then to pursue actual twelve-year-olds, but...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 8, 2017 1:13 PM

Aug 2010
CodeBlazeFate said:
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is the pinnacle of this. You get to be the role of a boring protagonist who had had almost all semblance of personality surgically removed, as every single girl not currently in a relationship or above the age of like 25 wants your dick, you literally win every single fight with no sweat sans one, and literally everything about everything and everyone revolves around you, almost always directly. Anyone who ideologically opposes you is automatically wrong and anyone who tries to struggle against diversity instead of just silently cope and try to put the adversity past you like you did is fundamentally wrong, and you can instantly heal from any life-threatening injury, even if it turns out that for no adequately explained reason, you feel the pain multiple times over for that brief second or two, only to immediately shrug it off. Not to mention that you can tell people off for wearing revealing clothing as you blatantly check them out all the while (if the camera is anything to go by). Did I forget to mention that you have a really hot sister who won't shut up about how great you are to the point of constantly being defensive about you in a manner of pure reflex, and the fact that you are a master of nearly every single form of combat introduced (and there are like...5, and you clearly keep track of them all and have a higher understanding of each than most people), and the fact that you have been an influential tech developer ever since you were a fucking child?! Also, you invent flying magic over the course of an afternoon from researching what professionals did wrong and doing it right in your apartment.

Before you try to push this into characters with actual personality within narratives that are not necessarily framed entirely from their perspective, in which the characters are not blank slates for the target demographic to project itself on to (you know, like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Death Note, literally Gundam me Macross related, etc. etc.), just know there doesn't work as Mahouka is basically a story with insane levels of protagonist-centered morality and a blank slate protagonist you're meant to fill the role of that just so happens to, and my examples aren't.

Also, the art is insanely bright with no sense of style whatsoever so it literally adds nothing other than eye-strain, it has mediocre at best fight-choreography, the CGI is abysmal, the narrative's ideologies are one to take personal issue with at times when you look deep enough, the OST is among the worst I've listened to (the fucking beeping track that plays at least once every episode for the entirely of the second half of the show is embedded in my psyche), there is always anywhere from 1-3 info dumps per episode that always last 2-5 minutes, in every episode, an absurdly convoluted system of fighting (or whatever is a better way of phrasing it) since it shoves 4 or so combat systems down your throats within the first 2 episodes, major narrative themes that are forgotten midway into the 2nd arc (such as classism and the segregation that from it), and so...so much more. A 1/10 for me.

I don't even need to read this to 100% agree with you. I only enjoyed it because of Nakamura Yuuichi and Hayami Saori.
CatSoul said:
I feel like things like Eromanga Sensei and Eiken where very young girls are included in harems have to be the worst. I guess it's better to get your fulfillment from trashy anime showing off twelve-year-old fanservice then to pursue actual twelve-year-olds, but...

Yes, absolutely right, I just imagine the author projecting himself into a situation where he's surrounded by 13 years old, and I get the urge to vomit.
Aug 8, 2017 1:17 PM

Apr 2016
oryouohagi said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Before you try to push this into characters with actual personality within narratives that are not necessarily framed entirely from their perspective, in which the characters are not blank slates for the target demographic to project itself on to (you know, like Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Death Note, literally Gundam me Macross related, etc. etc.), just know there doesn't work as Mahouka is basically a story with insane levels of protagonist-centered morality and a blank slate protagonist you're meant to fill the role of that just so happens to, and my examples aren't.

I don't even need to read this to 100% agree with you. I only enjoyed it because of Nakamura Yuuichi and Hayami Saori.
I'm guessing those two are seyuu (Japanese voice actors)?
Aug 8, 2017 1:19 PM

Jan 2016
@CodeBlazeFate i am speechless, great post and i dont need to add anything. Pure gold. This is the worst pile of shit ever seen. Every show that is "best at" or "most pretty" and "most powerful in the school" show smells rutten as soon as those words are uttered becouse you know what it will lead to.
Aug 8, 2017 1:20 PM

Apr 2016
moondragon84 said:
@CodeBlazeFate i am speechless, great post and i dont need to add anything. Pure gold. This is the worst pile of shit ever seen. Every show that is "best at" or "most pretty" and "most powerful in the school" show smells rutten as soon as those words are uttered becouse you know what it will lead to.
Definitely, with few exceptions. Thanks by the way. This show is truly awful.
Aug 8, 2017 1:21 PM

Aug 2010
CodeBlazeFate said:
oryouohagi said:

Yes, they are.
The only redeemable point about that show. Although it has Hanazawa Kana which is pure cancer.
Aug 8, 2017 1:24 PM

Apr 2016
oryouohagi said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Yes, they are.
The only redeemable point about that show. Although it has Hanazawa Kana which is pure cancer.
I actually like Kana Hanazawa's voice in anime roles, such as Akane from Psycho-Pass. To me, the only good thing on Mahouka is OP 2, "Griletto" by Garnidelia.
Aug 8, 2017 1:45 PM

Aug 2010
CodeBlazeFate said:
oryouohagi said:

Yes, they are.
I actually like Kana Hanazawa's voice in anime roles, such as Akane from Psycho-Pass. To me, the only good thing on Mahouka is OP 2, "Griletto" by Garnidelia.

I like the openings and the endings of that show.
I just hate Hanazawa Kana, she appears in almost every new anime, and I can't take her serioiusly, not to hate how much I hate dimwit characters like Mayuri from steinsgate.
The worst things is how she'll always have the most member favs in almost every anime because of her fanfags.
Aug 8, 2017 2:10 PM

Oct 2014
No. Any of these claims about "wish-fulfillment" are most certainly wrong, or at least invalid in terms of credibility.

Fact: Any claim by someone to be able to "deduce" the author's internal thought processes when creating their work, just by reading/watching/playing the author's work, is definite sign for cognitive dissonance, i.e. the claim is bullshit.

The same applies to cases where a person themselves doesn't feel their own wishes fulfilled when reading/watching/playing an author's work, but at the same time being convinced that "less intelligent, instant-gratification-seeking people" would consider it wish-fulfillment. No basis whatsoever, but still being sure of it, is just as the case in the previous paragraph, a sign of cognitive dissonance, i.e. a bullshit claim.

The ONLY thing a human can do is evaluate whether their own wishes were "fulfilled" by an author's work. But no one can speak for others' perceptions or the intent of the author in that regard.
Aug 8, 2017 2:21 PM
Mar 2016
im not sure what wish fulfillment means, im just going to assume it means that a series starts out good but then goes downhill

i gotta agree with sakuraso, as i kept watching i kept realizing more and more how garbage it is, couldn't finish it even with only 1 episode left, way too melodramatic, annoying indecisive characters, and your typical cliche kuudere that doesnt know how to take care of herself and doesnt have any common sense.

Nagi no Asukara was pretty much the same for me, but not nearly as bad as sakuraso, it was pretty decent for like the first 8-9 episodes but then it just went downhill with melodrama, couldn't finish it either, 4 episodes left.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is also one of those, decent at first, then when that
had 4 episodes left but definitely didnt feel like finishing it

Kokoro Connect interesting at first, good premise, really liked the thing where they get super powers that reveals the others' privacy and it keeps changing. but the characters started to really annoy me towards the middle/end, especially one of the female character suddenly going emo on everyone, hate to use this word but this was the most melodramatic anime ive ever watched

Aug 8, 2017 2:24 PM

Aug 2010
WeabooFuccboi said:
im not sure what wish fulfillment means, im just going to assume it means that a series starts out good but then goes downhill

i gotta agree with sakuraso, as i kept watching i kept realizing more and more how garbage it is, couldn't finish it even with only 1 episode left, way too melodramatic, annoying indecisive characters, and your typical cliche kuudere that doesnt know how to take care of herself and doesnt have any common sense.

Nagi no Asukara was pretty much the same for me, but not nearly as bad as sakuraso, it was pretty decent for like the first 8-9 episodes but then it just went downhill with melodrama, couldn't finish it either, 4 episodes left.

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei is also one of those, decent at first, then when that

Kokoro Connect interesting at first, good premise, really liked the thing where they get super powers that reveals the others' privacy and it keeps changing. but the characters started to really annoy me towards the middle/end, especially one of the female character suddenly going emo on everyone, hate to use this word but this was the most melodramatic anime ive ever watched

Wish fulfillment
I don't want to sound mean, but why didn't you google it yourself, before writing a post?

Nagi no asukara started out weak and become one of my favourites after a couple of episodes.
As for Kokoro connect, I don't know what you expected from a sol anime.
Aug 8, 2017 2:36 PM

Nov 2014
So what exactly are the requirements for an anime to be classified as "wish fulfilment"?

Seems to mean an anime where the author projects itself on the MC and makes the MC live the good life.
Everyone's listing shows that are generally known for having pretty weak MCs (weak as in not really having a personality).
Does that means writers have no personality?
Idk, I'm bad at this.

I'm still giving the title of worst wish fulfilment anime to Overlord cause it really has that "Hey we created a show where losers are the new winners" theme to it.
But idk the guy who wrote overlord, so I can't really say if he's fulfilling his wishes or if he just wrote that cause he thought it was an interesting story or something.
Aug 8, 2017 2:39 PM
Mar 2016
oryouohagi said:
WeabooFuccboi said:

Wish fulfillment
I don't want to sound mean, but why didn't you google it yourself, before writing a post?

Nagi no asukara started out weak and become one of my favourites after a couple of episodes.

i did try to google it and looked at the urban dictionary, didnt really get it and it only had like 3 upvotes, after looking at the link i understand it now.

as for SOL, yeah im not a big fan myself, but i do respect the genre, there are a few good SOL mangas and animes that ive read/watched. but i guess the topic about SOL is irrelevant to this thread
Aug 8, 2017 2:45 PM

Aug 2010
WeabooFuccboi said:
oryouohagi said:

Wish fulfillment

i did try to google it and looked at the urban dictionary, didnt really get it and it only had like 3 upvotes, after looking at the link i understand it now.

as for SOL, yeah im not a big fan myself, but i do respect the genre, there are a few good SOL mangas and animes that ive read/watched. but i guess the topic about SOL is irrelevant to this thread

Not really, most wish fulfillment anime have loads of SOL elements, as the author tries to incorporate an everyday life they themselves wish for in the story.
Aug 8, 2017 2:49 PM

Feb 2015
I do agree with you on Sakurasou.
Sorata is just painful to watch. Not to mention annoying as well.

Accel World is another bad one, comparable to SAO's level of wish fulfillment. But they do come from the same author so it's understandable.

They tried everything to make that fat shit likable, by forcing in victimization, only made me hate him more though.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Aug 8, 2017 2:52 PM
Mar 2016
oryouohagi said:
WeabooFuccboi said:

Not really, most wish fulfillment anime have loads of SOL elements, as the author tries to incorporate an everyday life they themselves wish for in the story.

i wouldnt know since i dont read/watch a lot of SOL
Aug 8, 2017 2:55 PM
Jul 2018
Grey-Zone said:
No. Any of these claims about "wish-fulfillment" are most certainly wrong, or at least invalid in terms of credibility.

Fact: Any claim by someone to be able to "deduce" the author's internal thought processes when creating their work, just by reading/watching/playing the author's work, is definite sign for cognitive dissonance, i.e. the claim is bullshit.

The same applies to cases where a person themselves doesn't feel their own wishes fulfilled when reading/watching/playing an author's work, but at the same time being convinced that "less intelligent, instant-gratification-seeking people" would consider it wish-fulfillment. No basis whatsoever, but still being sure of it, is just as the case in the previous paragraph, a sign of cognitive dissonance, i.e. a bullshit claim.

The ONLY thing a human can do is evaluate whether their own wishes were "fulfilled" by an author's work. But no one can speak for others' perceptions or the intent of the author in that regard.
I second this post.

Also gotta love how whenever someone asks something, OP is just like "shut up, it is wish fulfillment, I don't have to explain shit" kek.

Either way I remember talking to the OP before, he is not worth debating.

Do you guys btw have any fucking clue what are you talking about here to begin with?
Aug 8, 2017 3:00 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Darek said:
Do you guys btw have any fucking clue what are you talking about here to begin with?

I mean, when they're calling certain shows wish-fulfillment and then the definition they provide others with doesn't fit with that at all then I'd say no

Ima just work with "What is the worst anime you have seen with an MC that is powerful and/or you feel has little personality?" as being what this thread is asking, since that's the impression I have here.

And with that definition in mind, I say Ruroni Kenshin is the worst wish-fulfillment anime I have watched :V

Aug 8, 2017 3:02 PM

May 2015
Grey-Zone said:

Do you study psychology? If so can you elaborate on how does relate cognitive resonance of that someone with the perceived intent of author?

What is the internal inconsistency of said persons cognition/actions?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - 47 minutes ago

3 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - 9 hours ago

11 by velvetnyan »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 7 hours ago

15 by perseii »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

40 by Solstis »»
32 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

75 by traed »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.