Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 14, 2017 5:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Deep in Abyss is such a catchy theme song. I love it.

So we got some info dump about the robot boy including what he's capable of. Regu is a peculiar character that others are curious about as well including Gilo. I also really like Riko and Regu's character chemistry so far.

There's also some talk about Lyza among the locals, which happens to be Riko's mother. Interesting pacing so far for this show imo.
Jul 14, 2017 5:52 AM

Jun 2014
Oh boy, that OP has me very excited because it showcases a certain character and something from the manga I won't talk about here. This confirms some great things for us manga readers.

Speaking of the OP and ED, both were absolutely gorgeous, adorable, cute and amazing, the visual direction in the OP is some of the best I've seen from this year! I love how the dark lyrics from the OP song contrast with the innocent visuals.

OP song lyrics:

Absolutely excellent episode. The visual direction continued to be on point. The worldbuilding was as good as ever. I adore the way they handled things. We get to find out more about Riko's mother and some of the other side characters get some exposure. I love the voice actors. The ending was an excellent ending point for this episode, the tease is real. Seeing the letter get animated got me really excited.

The episode tackled some tough issues, in this episode we really start to see the darker themes show through. OST was more subtle, but it really elevated things nicely.
alpha_shadowJul 14, 2017 7:26 AM
:3
Jul 14, 2017 6:16 AM

May 2009
I'm glad they didn't skip this. It gives hopes that later lewd moments will be kept
Jul 14, 2017 6:25 AM

Jan 2015
I'm soooooo glad that the staff knows how to adapt a great manga into an Even greater adaptation.

Awesome episode, as expected. The animation is consistent and directing is great.
LOL, I was totally sure that they wouldn't keep the nudity in this show.

@alpha_shadow I know right. I ain't ready After watching the op
XenocrisiJul 14, 2017 8:34 AM
Jul 14, 2017 6:34 AM

Oct 2015
alpha_shadow said:
bastek66 said:
I'm glad they didn't skip this. It gives hopes that later lewd moments will be kept

You should spoiler that.
Why? It ain't no spoiler
Jul 14, 2017 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
alpha_shadow said:
Nostalgik said:
Why? It ain't no spoiler

I know it's not a spoiler, but it's a NSFW shot, that's all.
Do MAL people get banned for that?
Jul 14, 2017 6:38 AM

Jun 2014
Nostalgik said:
alpha_shadow said:

I know it's not a spoiler, but it's a NSFW shot, that's all.
Do MAL people get banned for that?

Who said anything about getting banned? It was just a suggestion I gave him.
Jul 14, 2017 6:50 AM

Oct 2014
I can't believe those scenes made it in! This episode is just as good as the first, if they keep this up this will be AOTS.
Jul 14, 2017 6:56 AM
Jun 2015
Where can I watch the second episode already, can't find it on kissanime or gogoanime?
Jul 14, 2017 7:00 AM

Oct 2014
https://twitter.com/anime_opedmovie/status/885855797166579714

For the manga readers, have no fear, they will reach "that" point.
Jul 14, 2017 7:11 AM
Nov 2007
Another home run of an episode. The OP and ED animations are both wonderful. Cute Endcard too.
Jul 14, 2017 7:22 AM

Apr 2014
Really shows the priorities of the manga readers if they're this excited over a naked hanging loli.
Jul 14, 2017 8:04 AM

Jun 2014
Just re-watched it with subs and in high quality. It was excellent! Looking forward to next week's episode! I like how they left in some very sneaky foreshadowing lines in the anime from the manga, really clever stuff!
alpha_shadowJul 14, 2017 8:13 AM
Jul 14, 2017 8:27 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I'm almost certain that Lyza is alive now, she can't ascend back cause it would mean death.

Interesting bit about Lyza dealing with a foreign country and getting the bell eventually, i wonder what that's all about.

Riko was born in the Abyss! I wonder what effect the Abyss will have on her or if anything at all (the eyesight was mentioned but she was born down there so there has to be a catch).
Jul 14, 2017 8:31 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Absolutely loving the world building and set up that's going on here.

Nice that Reg was able to join into the Raiders class with a pretty clever but convenient backstory. Though, it makes me wonder if the leader guy did in fact know that Riko and co were pulling something here but chose to feign ignorance to it.

Really nice backstory for Lyza, she's a great person and I loved the manner in which the Leader guy told Riko, especially in how he said the simple fact that Riko herself is choosing to live her life the way she wants stands as attestation to making the right choice of bringing up her kid over the relic.

Interesting that Riko was actually born in the Abyss, the notes from her Mom and the contents of the letter were are all really intriguing especially the picture similar to Reg.
Really looking forward to more revelations and world building.
Jul 14, 2017 8:33 AM

Aug 2013
Poor Regu, being examined by Riko. I though Riko being hanged from the ceiling was a joke but they actually do it.

An aweosme episode. We learned more about Riko being Lyza's daughter and she was born in the abyss.

Jul 14, 2017 8:43 AM

Jan 2015
That's the "Punishment" for student that didn't pay attention at class? I guess that's pretty normal(?) since things Abyss could get much worse. LOL
So Riko get to know her origin, thanks to Gilo for telling her about it and her mother too.
I thought the music at Episode 1 when Riko bring Reg for the first time is for the OP/ED. So it's just Insert song?
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 14, 2017 8:53 AM

May 2009
Hongu said:
Really shows the priorities of the manga readers if they're this excited over a naked hanging loli.

Better priorities than being asshole like certain snob and his followers, who can only complain that all anime isn't about gay men in space.
Jul 14, 2017 9:02 AM
Jul 2015
bastek66 said:
Hongu said:

Better priorities than being asshole like certain snob and his followers, who can only complain that all anime isn't about gay men in space.

The irony of your comment is not lost on me.
Jul 14, 2017 9:05 AM

Jun 2015
I'm glad Reg was able to join the Raiders. Got to learn about the Abyss and some backstory for Lyza. She seems like a great person. She gave birth to Riko in the Abyss, so that's why she's experiencing symptoms of the Curse of the Abyss. Seeing her getting punished was unexpected. The notes she received from her mother was interesting, especially the one that looks like Reg. She could be alive.
Jul 14, 2017 9:15 AM

Oct 2011
Hongu said:

It really is a curious thing.
Jul 14, 2017 9:20 AM

Mar 2014
Think they should have focused a bit more on Reg during the middle section there. Stuff like him saying "Day after day passed, and eventually I learned that the leaves change colors..." and him talking about how he's acting normally despite having no memories in the manga further puts his character in a different perspective, of all things I think the anime should have kept that.
Comedy at the start also wasn't as good as in the manga but I'm reading along as the anime airs and the idea isn't to complain about the adaptation, which is pretty amazing so far.
Jul 14, 2017 9:29 AM

Apr 2016
OP and ED were really good. Loved the OP animation.
The things Riko did to Reg. *Shudders*
Seeing her getting punished like that was a bit unexpected.
A great episode again.

So... about that measuring stick that broke..

Is it still inside Reg's butthole ???

Edit- Never mind, it's out.
Manyaa_-Jul 14, 2017 9:34 AM
Jul 14, 2017 9:42 AM

Jan 2015
Omkar_Nagwade said:

Edit- Never mind, it's out.

Seems like you've found the answer LOL
XenocrisiJul 14, 2017 9:47 AM
Jul 14, 2017 10:05 AM
Jun 2016
Ahh they did not cut out the bondage after all lol. Can't wait for the despair. This feels like Hunter x Hunter, Riko like Gon and Reg like Killua. Read the manga and it gets way darker, probably on par with HxH.
Jul 14, 2017 10:06 AM

Jul 2016
Excellent episode! I like

Riku at this point had done things a heroine shouldn't be doing, so bad that the
Jul 14, 2017 10:15 AM
Jan 2011
The pacing is well done, not too rushed. We got to see some pretty amazing backgrounds. Really like the world building. And yes, I do believe they should be able to reach that arc without rushing anything. This might become a really good and memorable show.
Jul 14, 2017 10:46 AM

Aug 2016
Hongu said:
Even though I'm usually personally ok with that kind of stuff, I agree with you in this context. I haven't read the manga, but these elements seem to be pretty inconsequential/unnecessary for the story/characters and the studio is throwing away their (significant) marketability to non-otaku audiences if they show much more of this.
Jul 14, 2017 10:48 AM
Oct 2016
I thought that all of this stuff is added in the manga and anime TO make you uncomfortable, considering the true face of the series...
I really don't have anything to say so you can move on.
Jul 14, 2017 10:48 AM

Nov 2016
Good episode, the 20 minutes went by like nothing.

I'm really fond of by how much thoughts were put in the worldbuild and the influence of the environment. And Although we got quite a few infos this episode, it didn't feel dry and boring due to the interesting presentation.

And while it has a rather serious tone there are also some lighthearted elements mixed in like at the begininng where Riko described Regus body xD

Opening had nice visuals

and the ending was cute.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 14, 2017 10:50 AM

Dec 2014
ok wow this episode was good...I hope the mother is alive....
Jul 14, 2017 11:13 AM

Dec 2016
This is another spot on episode. Usually I'm not quick to judge, but is seems like they know what they're doing with this adaptation so I don't really expect any sudden drop in quality later on. So for now it's one of the most interesting, beautiful and overall best shows this season, if not the best.
Jul 14, 2017 11:19 AM
Nov 2016
Another beautifully animated episode. This show doesn't disappoint. The characters are great and Reg and Riko are so interesting when they are together. The pacing of the story well and the ending set up the next episode. This anime is pretty darn good.
Jul 14, 2017 11:19 AM

Aug 2015
coenraed said:
Hongu said:
Even though I'm usually personally ok with that kind of stuff, I agree with you in this context. I haven't read the manga, but these elements seem to be pretty inconsequential/unnecessary for the story/characters and the studio is throwing away their (significant) marketability to non-otaku audiences if they show much more of this.

Lol you do understand that it is important for the story and world building to show this scene? It's not like they were fetishizing it with weird camera angles or sounds, the whole point of that scene was to show how messed up the world is yet how normal that is to the characters in it. And if you didn't like seeing that you might well drop the show now cuz it's not going to get any better my dude.
Jul 14, 2017 11:24 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, this was one heck of an episode! Not only did we find out about Lyza being Riko's mother but also about her unlucky yet special(I presume that's how it will turn out eventually) condition. By the way, the robot drawn in one of Lyza's documents is actually Regu right? Could it have something to do with her message to Riko? I wonder...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 14, 2017 11:30 AM

May 2016
It can be obvious that Riko's mother is still alive
But I don't wanna take it too far what's going to happen. What we understand is how Riko felt to be surprise by her mother's letter in a motto that tells her she's alive or not, also we understand the leader (Gilo) explain to Riko about her mother had taken lot of risk to her life by protecting Riko as she was a newborn at the time.

Actually I don't wanna to explain it too much about it cause I know lot of people have knew about this, although this show is still interesting and the 2nd episode was so good. Also it was good pacing the fact we constantly stayed with this show and willing to wait for the next episode to see more information about Riko's mother.
Jul 14, 2017 11:31 AM

Sep 2013
Reg joining the orphanage the normal way and riko's mom's stuff coming out after 10 years.
Jul 14, 2017 11:37 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
I wasn't familiar with the original work, so I didn't have a lot of opinion on the first episode, but after seeing this episode, I'm really starting to get into it and can't wait for more. Even the artwork seems more special than it did last week. Glad they don't have to keep hiding Reg. :)
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Jul 14, 2017 11:53 AM

Aug 2016
Jack said:
Lol you do understand that it is important for the story and world building to show this scene? It's not like they were fetishizing it with weird camera angles or sounds, the whole point of that scene was to show how messed up the world is yet how normal that is to the characters in it. And if you didn't like seeing that you might well drop the show now cuz it's not going to get any better my dude.
No, I didn't know/understand that, I haven't read the manga. If you claim It'll all make sense later on, I'll believe you. I also didn't imply that they were fetishizing it, but considering the image that most non-otaku have of anime, just showing kids in a vaguely sexual situation will turn them off no matter the tone or context. (I'd also argue the dialogue about the stick was somewhat fetishy, but whatever). Thirdly, I like this show. A few scenes that clash with what I was hoping it would be won't make me dislike it.
Jul 14, 2017 11:57 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm really enjoying this show. Captivating story, wonderful world building, relatable characters and high production values. A winning package.

I beseech the readers of the original material to be disciplined and refrain from spoiling things for us. Anything, even if its just the tone or what you expect, put it in spoilers. We know that you're special and want to show off that you've read stuff, but pretty please? Thanks
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 14, 2017 12:19 PM

May 2017
Pretty good stuff! Liked it less than the first episode tho but still,
Overall an 8.5/10
LOVE the lore this anime gives, the setting and premise has a lot of potential and is super duper interesting

-Really like Riko's character and the robo boy is fine too.
-Comedy was well done, lol didn't expect it to actually get X-rated and talk about dicks and anal sex but ok xD
-Drama and the part w/ Leader telling Lyza's story could have been done better imo, didn't really feel anything afterwards but that's just me.
-Interactions and characters seem well done and thought out, the variety is nice in that aspect

Jul 14, 2017 12:45 PM

Aug 2013
All those SJWs in this thread makes me cringe. Just quit anime, problem solved.

//
Great episode. Time to start manga, I guess.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jul 14, 2017 1:10 PM

Jul 2015
I found the first episode alright, but this one was quite better.

I think that the story is doing a good job in hyping the future exploration moments, 4/5
Jul 14, 2017 1:26 PM

Jul 2007
The OP and fanservice parts were literally the only flawed part of the show.

Overall this continues to be very impressive. The background art and cinematography remains gorgeous and the whole setting - well executed. We got some exposition dumps this episode but they were handled quite well.

I remain impressed. Easily best show of the season.
Jul 14, 2017 2:31 PM
Oct 2016
Fai said:

But...but...the OP is amazing...?
I really don't have anything to say so you can move on.
Jul 14, 2017 2:40 PM

Jul 2007
DustyHaze said:
Fai said:

The visuals are okay but the visuals do not feel like an actual opening. And the song is really average.
Jul 14, 2017 2:48 PM

Jun 2014
Fai said:
DustyHaze said:

The visuals are okay but the visuals do not feel like an actual opening. And the song is really average.

Lmao, define what the visuals need to do to feel like an actual opening. Speaking of subjectivity.
Jul 14, 2017 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was pretty much buildup or development episode for upcoming episode.
Jul 14, 2017 3:38 PM

May 2015
The ending gave me the chills somehow....

Nice episode with a good amount of background storytelling, which were really interesting. The show continues to impress so far.

Jul 14, 2017 3:40 PM

Oct 2013
I appreciate how this show keeps things intriguing by not revealing too much too soon about the nature of the Abyss. It keeps me wanting more. Also, the scenes have great detail.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

769 by zaddysenpai89 »»
Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2017

202 by karut-kun »»
May 8, 4:28 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2017

352 by karut-kun »»
May 8, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

194 by RebornVongola1 »»
May 6, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.