Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 13, 2017 8:51 AM

Aug 2016
Just watched it and loved it, seems very interesting and I already want to read the manga.

Jul 13, 2017 8:55 AM

Nov 2009
Oh boy, who brought Killy's Gravity Beam Emitter to this show...?
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jul 13, 2017 10:07 AM
Jul 2017
anybody can tell me the song before the ending theme song. the song appear with naration.
anybody pleaseee I cant sleep searching for this song.
Jul 13, 2017 10:15 AM
Jul 2017
pleaseee... anybody can tell me what the tittle of the song when riko show reg about the city and the hole (abbys)
anybody pleasee....
Jul 13, 2017 10:53 AM

Jan 2015
@masmalow_ no one knows it. We will find it out once the OST will be released I guess
Jul 13, 2017 5:42 PM

Jul 2015
First opinion enjoyment wise isn't anything special, but the setting is interesting so it can end up being nice depending on what happens, 6.5/10 first episode.
Jul 13, 2017 7:48 PM

May 2011
I was already expecting good world building and visuals, but the OST REALLY surprised me. It really managed to set the mood of the show.

Anyway, as for the story and characters, we can't say much by now. Let's see what happens from here on out. I just hope the misteries unfolds' nicely and the characters are well developed.
Jul 14, 2017 7:42 AM
Aug 2015
What a cute little anime. Much better than I had initially anticipated!
Jul 14, 2017 10:25 AM

Dec 2014
hmm childish protagonists...lets see how it goes
Jul 14, 2017 1:30 PM

Nov 2012
AOTS material. Gorgeous art and nice animation, intriguing world, and promising characters . Only thing I hope doesn't happen is that the show resorts to being violent towards these children characters because that would be cheap. I look forward to watching more.
Jul 14, 2017 7:22 PM

Jan 2013
Great start, can't believe how good is the OST.
The whole Abyss idea looks great! Can't wait to find it's secrets.
Oh, and btw i think that Reg is a miner because we can see that he was in a hole before going to that tree and saving the girl.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jul 15, 2017 3:49 PM

Jan 2013
The artstyle of the characters clashes too hard with the detailed environments.

It's too uncanny.

Dropped.
Jul 15, 2017 4:04 PM

Jun 2013
child labor wtf and sadistic punishments (second epi) but also mentioned in the first one

hello anybody sane here
Do not let yourself be blinded by fear or anger. Everything is only as it is.
Jul 16, 2017 10:58 AM

Apr 2015
Hmm ... quite interesting to say at least. I mean some people already stated this but I had a similar feeling while watching Ghibli movies so it's definitely a + in my book !

+ The soundtrack at the end ... *drools* Got Solatorobo goosebumps all over again ^^
Jul 16, 2017 3:35 PM

Mar 2012
This looks childish

But I think it will become very good nevertheless; so certainly AOTS potential
Jul 17, 2017 9:59 AM

Apr 2015
This was cool! Amazingly endearing.
Not sure the songs work but they were tolerable this episode
Jul 18, 2017 11:30 PM

Aug 2013
What a great episode, the soundtrack was amazing, the characters were lovable and the story seems interesting, although we'll have to see why exactly childs are allowed (or forced?) to go into caves, let's see how this continues. 4/5
"Doubting everything that you take on... That is very important. Open your own eyes, clear out your ears, and look and listen to the world... And think using your own brain. After you've doubted everything, there is a possibility of something real to believe in. To believe in something, doubt everything."

Jul 19, 2017 6:13 PM

Apr 2011
I've read a few chapters of the manga before and now the first episode of the anime. So far it looks good. Definitely refreshingly different from the rest of the summer anime releases. The character designs, the story and settings are nice. The quality is good as well. Definitely on my watchlist.
Jul 19, 2017 7:19 PM

Jul 2015
Amazing. Hopefully it continues. Riko is carrying the show well
Jul 20, 2017 12:25 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Only thing is that it was just a little weird how quickly she bounced back from nearly being eaten. Everything else? Good stuff. I'm ready.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 20, 2017 1:42 AM

Aug 2011
What a very innocent and charming first episode. Very interested to watch more and the music was incredible.
Jul 21, 2017 1:07 AM

Sep 2010
Definitely has my attention so far
Jul 22, 2017 12:04 AM

Jul 2011
The sense of adventure <33

It's also just amazing gorgeous, with a great selection for OST!
Jul 22, 2017 11:16 PM

Dec 2007
Was blown away by the first episode. If the quality continues throughout the whole series it'll be anime of the season for me.
Looks stunning in 1080p, can't get enough of it.
Jul 23, 2017 6:13 AM

Jan 2010
The art work is certainly nice to look at, and the plot is interesting so far, but the vocals in the OST (Kevin Penkin's piece) is horrible new age garbage. I like atmospheric, orchestral pieces as are used in a lot of Japanese animated movies involving some kind of fantasy/ adventure, but this guy's work sounds too out of place. Both instances sounded like gibberish over an otherwise decent instrumental.
Jul 23, 2017 9:40 AM

Apr 2016
Art is good. Story seems very loose.. kinda like Etrian Odyssey. Lets see how it goes.
Jul 23, 2017 10:06 AM

Feb 2013
Very good production quality. It's a nice little adventure so far. I'm not sure if it's too childish for my taste at this point.
Jul 23, 2017 10:57 AM
Aug 2016
BurntJelly said:
Very good production quality. It's a nice little adventure so far. I'm not sure if it's too childish for my taste at this point.

Oh,don't worry,it's definitely not childish,I'd said rather complete opposite...
Jul 26, 2017 4:36 AM

Aug 2014
Mysterious anime so far, i read that it fools us like Madoka.
I liked the setting, it is original and i hope they do some good explored world building.
Interesting premise i will keep watching it.
Jul 28, 2017 1:02 PM

Jan 2017
Interesting setting and premise.
I'm absolutely in love with the pretty visuals and backgrounds.
I can't say much about characters, but i expect their good development.
Going to continue it with joy.
Jul 28, 2017 2:41 PM
Jul 2015
So far this is the new show of the season. I don't usually care for deliberate values dissonance, butI liked the low key fucked-up-ness of the town.

It's already obvious this needs more seasons. They aren't trying to cram everything in with this pacing.
Aug 1, 2017 2:53 PM
May 2017
Well, i'm not an expert criticism, but i thought it was alright, personally this isn't my type of show. The only thing that peeved me off was of the main character has glasses but it doesn't have a subtle effect on her.

Like how, she gets them knocked off and she doesn't strain her eyes when she saw things like that blue necklace, the robot boy and her friend when she was looking for him, and when we saw a split second from her pov, when she almost fell off the cliff, it wasn't blurred, not even a little.

Like are those just her reading glasses? Obliviously not. Everything in the first episode is fine, this is just something i noticed and annoyed me a little.
Aug 1, 2017 9:02 PM

Sep 2012
ShoilerLan said:
Well, i'm not an expert criticism, but i thought it was alright, personally this isn't my type of show. The only thing that peeved me off was of the main character has glasses but it doesn't have a subtle effect on her.

Like how, she gets them knocked off and she doesn't strain her eyes when she saw things like that blue necklace, the robot boy and her friend when she was looking for him, and when we saw a split second from her pov, when she almost fell off the cliff, it wasn't blurred, not even a little.

Like are those just her reading glasses? Obliviously not. Everything in the first episode is fine, this is just something i noticed and annoyed me a little.

Literally explained next episode, keep going.
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Aug 2, 2017 2:44 PM

Aug 2016
I see great potential in this anime...

Good music.
5/5
Aug 3, 2017 6:55 AM

Oct 2015
Nice plot and story, and also awesome first episode too. I see an anime with so much potential. Adventures lies ahead!
Lovely OST, eps 1 OP song and that insert song on sunrise is so good.

Seems somewhat underrated, I can feel it, main reason probably LOLI child-like character + studio gibli-ish art, not your everyday anime eh?, it also got a bit of 'slow start'.
Aug 4, 2017 12:28 PM

Sep 2015
Flawless first episode, very intriguing! Good job of introducing the characters, theme and setting. The artstyle is not typical anime style I usually prefer, but still pleasant. The show seems to be a highlight of this season, can't wait to see the next episodes!
Aug 7, 2017 8:14 PM
Mar 2016
wow i discovered this anime accidentally and it's already becoming one of my favorite anime of this season
Aug 13, 2017 4:45 AM
Dec 2012
Said to myself that I'd binge this after airing but here I am.. fuck. Anyway,
nice visuals & music I really enjoyed the overall vibe.
Aug 13, 2017 9:20 PM

Mar 2012
Seems like an interesting show, pretty weird that they have slave lolis and shotas but other than that it seems neat.
Aug 18, 2017 10:33 PM

Nov 2011
Interesting premise ... Has been a while since I remember watching pure fantasy and adventure (at least that I get in the first episode) show like this.. This kind of genre usually don't last great for a long, but I hope something different (That is a reason why I am an anime and manga fan in the first place, variety and creativity) ...

By the way I watching this because it's manga rating reached 8,75 and anime's rating constantly in 8,25 (highest in weekly airing anime this season) ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 22, 2017 8:24 AM

Jul 2016
Orth, everybody. Where Child molestation through stripping and Electric chairs are legal!
WHAT?!?

So this series has been under my radar for quite some time and since I have PLENTY of time to catch up with this season, I decided to pick this one up. Now for starters, I was impressed by the animation quality. That Crimson Splitjaw was drawn by HAND, BY HAND! NO CG was added! And as for the Ghibli callback, yeah I can see why. I may have only watched ONE Ghibli film (SACRILEGE! I know), but I can tell a lot of love went into the animation and artwork. These animators loved Ghibli, and with Ghibli's eventual decline in the horizon, they want to hold that torch. And nowhere is this more apparent than in the scene when the characters step on the grass and little bug thingies fly around.

As for the opening episode.........................................WOW!
I mean, THIS is how you introduce your setting and give the audience some much needed world-building, with very minuscule to NO EXPOSITION. We are given a glimpse of the world, the details, the intricate nic-nacs here and there. It has a sense of adventure and it makes the dead, dusty adventurer in me want to explore the Abyss.

As for the nitpicks, This is a world where children are sent to the Abyss to collect treasures while risking their lives from Crimson SPLITJAWS and are strung up NAKED as punishment, and the use of electric chairs and torture devices are PERFECTLY LEGAL!! Only one thing to say,

STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME, YOU CREEPY FREAKS!! How are you guys running an ORPHANAGE?!?!?
ONWARDS! Away from homework and on to more anime!!!
Aug 27, 2017 10:48 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the best starter series of this ´17 summer.... a great and misterious plot, cool characters and strange creatures, and the animation style, always shinning in the tv....
...the young is a robot, but he doesn´t know his past lifetime, but he saved the young girl to be devorated, i think is one of the misteries of this season....

9/10 to me!!!!!
Aug 30, 2017 2:52 AM

Jun 2013
I'm loving the animation so far. For some reason, it reminds me of an old PS1 game entitled, "Final Fantasy Tactics" and other older games I used to play. It's also reminiscent of early 2000 Anime series too like Strange Dawn (2000).

Oooh that song in the background while Riko was carrying Robot-kun. It suits the setting.

The characters are so cute especially Kiyui. He's so fucking tiny and adorable!

They're all pretty young to be cave raiders then again, that's how things rolls in their world.

Robot-kun/Regu is also fucking adorable. He's so shocked by his bellybutton and penis.

Not feeling the OP song that much.
臭い-
Aug 31, 2017 12:11 AM

May 2016
quite enjoyed the opening episode. the artwork is simply outstanding and great to look at. interested to see how many ranks of whistles there are and how deep the abyss is.

Sep 2, 2017 8:12 AM

Dec 2008
When the sun rose in the show, the sun also rose outside my house, and because of all the fires and dust all over the west coast, the sun is throwing red rays of light all over my valley.
Didnt know what to expect with the chibi childish characters in the shows picture. Still I was pleasantly surprised as this literally seems to bring together various popular tropes and themes from across the media in a great way.
So far the art is a solid 7-8/10
Characters are 8/10 as its just he beginning and they will no doubt grow more in depth
Plot/story seems like a good 7/10 since not terribly original, so far
Progression and showmanship/ presentation seems a solid 8/10
Music is a 9/10
Overall I would say that after just one episode, this shows at least an 8/10. NOICE
Sep 5, 2017 5:46 AM

Dec 2012
Phenomenal start. The cute art style meshed with the melancholic atmosphere & music makes it jarringly refreshing. The sense of adventure is running high, especially with that narration explaining the seemingly bottomless pit towards the end.
Sep 9, 2017 5:23 AM

Sep 2008
Wow the background art is so good.

Too bad the lame comedy and characters are destroying the atmosphere this anime could've had.
Sep 9, 2017 7:12 AM

Nov 2011
From the outset, when you came out the first promo, the expectations for this anime series were high on my side and the result is largely satisfactory. Everything is as I had imagined, beginning with the graphic part, passing through the soundtrack and with the characters. The backgrounds are really beautiful, the music is very catchy and suitable for the various situations. The characters, which remind me so much of a different series, are very captivating and comical. The plot is really interesting, and invites you to follow it right away.
Sep 28, 2017 10:26 PM

Dec 2016
What a great first episode if I do say so myself!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 29, 2017 9:53 PM

Jan 2016
Good OST, Good Animation, Good 1st episode
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2017

202 by karut-kun »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2017

236 by karut-kun »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 18, 2017

194 by RebornVongola1 »»
May 6, 8:07 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2017

180 by eWEQRW123123 »»
Apr 19, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Made in Abyss Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2017

768 by asbest0sdust »»
Apr 16, 8:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.