Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2017 1:33 PM

Sep 2015
I've met people who can't stand gore scenes, some like them, some just don't care. In my case I'm not really bothered by gore as long as there is some value to the anime outside of it. Pretty much the same standpoint I take on fanservice anime but I digress. What are your thoughts on the use of gore in anime.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 18, 2017 1:36 PM

May 2014
Depends on how it's used and what the show is going for.
Apr 18, 2017 1:36 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Gore = mature anime.
The more mature anime gets the better.
Apr 18, 2017 1:38 PM

Jan 2013
If the series just has a high amount of bloody scenes, I don't really care. It's a completely different story if you can see the character's intestines or the like, though.

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
Apr 18, 2017 1:38 PM
Jan 2016
I feel fairly apathetic towards gore. I don't mind it, but I don't feel like it adds much. But I don't like it when they go out of their way to avoid gore and wounds that would normally be pretty grevious turn out to be just some light cuts.

Generally I like some degree of "realism", so to me neither over the top gore nor complete lack of it is the way to go.
Apr 18, 2017 1:43 PM

May 2016
Not too fussed about gore either, I don't mind them I can watch them to some degree if it fits the premise of the anime and with the plot. Also I agree with:

Askorti said:

Generally I like some degree of "realism", so to me neither over the top gore nor complete lack of it is the way to go.

Apr 18, 2017 1:43 PM

Jul 2013
If it's exaggerated gore like the one of Hellsing Ultimate or Blood-C, then it's good.
If it's mild content where the best you get are removed arms like Tokyo Ghoul, then it's bad.
IllyricusApr 18, 2017 1:46 PM
Apr 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Apr 2016
Barnald said:
Gore = mature anime.

That's not true, there is plenty of mature anime without gore.

OP: i don't mind gore at all, but im talking about real gore not the pseudo one for example in SnK, the real one.. you know when nazi zombie is eating newborn child still alive that is gore.
Apr 18, 2017 1:44 PM

Jul 2015
as long the plot is interesting i dont mind it

i hate anime that rely only on gore without a plot (Hellsing Ultimate)
Apr 18, 2017 1:45 PM

Dec 2014
Fuckin' fantastic.

Mmm, no but really - I guess it depends. Good story can use gore to underline its themes very well, such as Grimgar. Gore that's fucking stupid in the show, like in Elfen Lied, is just kind of painful to watch. Gore that's well-executed and actually slots well into the direction in which the show is taking, is nice to see, given that it's a serious show which circulates around themes of violence etc.
Apr 18, 2017 1:45 PM

Oct 2014
It depends how its used. You can make a mature and dark anime without any blood and you can make a childish anime filled with blood. When used correctly it can add something to the anime, though.
Apr 18, 2017 1:48 PM

Jul 2015
I don't mind it. I quite like gore in anime
Apr 18, 2017 1:52 PM

Apr 2017
I don't mind, as long as is not something over the top and ridiculous.
Apr 18, 2017 1:52 PM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Swagernator said:
Barnald said:
Gore = mature anime.

OP: i don't mind gore at all, but im talking about real gore not the pseudo one for example in SnK, the real one.. you know when nazi zombie is eating newborn child still alive that is gore.

And you don't seem to understand...
Apr 18, 2017 2:01 PM

Nov 2016
Not really a fan of it, not like I can't stand it, it's just not appealing at all for me. If it adds value to the series or is only used rarely I can accept it. But in some anime it's overdone which make it look ridiculous.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 18, 2017 2:01 PM

Mar 2017
I'm pretty desensitized towards gore, animated or not.
The typical anime "geyser of blood from a single stab wound" can take me out of a scene but when its done well in the context of the plot/characters, it's popcorn entertainment.
My only gripe is that I can't handle unrealistic body horror (ex: Parasyte the Maxim) with exaggerated human proportions
Apr 18, 2017 2:03 PM

Dec 2015
I like it.
See a head explode, maybe somebody gets horribly disembowelled or impaled...it's all good with me.

tragedydesu said:

I'm fairly certain Hellsing has a plot.
Apr 18, 2017 2:05 PM

Jul 2014
It can enhance the intensity of a scene when utilized effectively and when it's done wrong it's fucking hilarious, so either way I welcome it.
Take care of yourself

Apr 18, 2017 2:13 PM

Nov 2009
I do not mind gore in general. I am an adult like that.
But I do not like my favorite characters to get killed or permanently hurt. I'm immature like that. Dying is what enemies should do.
I also find old-style gore, where there are random guts flying around, like in Hokuto no Ken, to be distasteful.
Apr 18, 2017 2:50 PM

Sep 2015
flannan said:

that.
But I do not like my favorite characters to get killed or permanently hurt.
I 100% agree with this sentence. I've quit various anime b/c they removed my favorite character in one way or another.
Apr 18, 2017 2:52 PM
Jul 2018
Swagernator said:
Barnald said:
Gore = mature anime.

No, he means gore adds maturity to an anime because it's directed to an older audience. He enjoys anime directed towards a mature audience, so gore is a plus for him.
Apr 18, 2017 2:57 PM

Apr 2014
i like it
its better than some shows that have people getting beat to death without dropping a single drop of blood
Apr 18, 2017 3:56 PM

Jan 2016
If it adds anything to the anime I don't mind it.

But some shows are just gore with anime built around it.
Apr 18, 2017 4:08 PM

Oct 2013
Swagernator said:
Barnald said:
Gore = mature anime.

"pseudo gore" Now that is a new one. I wont be surprise if I start hearing people saying "pseudo fanservice" and this is how far people are willing to go to devalue a series. This shit is getting ridiculous.
Apr 18, 2017 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Personally I do not like gore but I do not mind it either.

I dunno if that even makes sense but whatever.

Note: I do not think that simple violence counts as gore. In ny eyes gore is excesive like heads faling of, arms being torn apart etc.
Apr 18, 2017 4:44 PM

Oct 2016
keragamming said:
"pseudo gore" Now that is a new one. I wont be surprise if I start hearing people saying "pseudo fanservice" and this is how far people are willing to go to devalue a series. This shit is getting ridiculous.

That's a nice pseudo complaint you've got there.
Apr 18, 2017 4:48 PM

Jun 2015
Bobby2Hands said:
I like it.
See a head explode, maybe somebody gets horribly disembowelled or impaled...it's all good with me.

tragedydesu said:

I'm fairly certain Hellsing has a plot.
that, i love violence and its splatter effects
Apr 18, 2017 5:05 PM

Aug 2016
I love the violence and gore. I'm more inclined to give it a good score if it at least has decent characters

I know I was disappointed when we didn't get to see the car run over people on the sidewalk on JoJo SC 2nd season.
Apr 18, 2017 5:16 PM

Oct 2016
As long as it fits the atmosphere i'm just fine with it. You know, if the public isn't ready for it, and a gore scene just pops outta nowhere with no real explanation it's just 'meh.

Some shows seem to have been written by people desperate to make an impact, abusing senseless gore and meaningless deaths.
(yeah i'm sure you know what i'm talking about)

Apr 18, 2017 5:53 PM

Jun 2012
If its just at the level of SnK, Hellsing, monogatari series. . .I have no trouble with it. Its the same as watching animals preying each other.

But when Gore gets overflow which include torture, human experimentation, rape and more savagery. I am somehow overwhelm, like this one for exampleGAME OVER
Apr 18, 2017 10:39 PM
Dec 2016

What do you think of the violence in Akira, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star etc.?

And are they no different than live-action graphic violence like in Robocop or Predator?
Apr 18, 2017 10:44 PM

Nov 2014
don't care for it in anyway, shape, or form.
Apr 18, 2017 10:45 PM

Nov 2016
i dont mind gore as long as the gore is not like corspe party torutred soul i can watch this gore but it gave me nightmare for 3days omg it was so hard to look at.
Apr 18, 2017 10:55 PM

Jul 2009
Just don't make it tryhard and we're all fine and dandy
Apr 18, 2017 11:02 PM

Aug 2015
If they go overboard with it it becomes bad. If it's a realistic amount of gore for the series it's okay
Apr 18, 2017 11:06 PM

Mar 2016
MajorLeah said:
I'm pretty desensitized towards gore, animated or not.
The typical anime "geyser of blood from a single stab wound" can take me out of a scene but when its done well in the context of the plot/characters, it's popcorn entertainment.
My only gripe is that I can't handle unrealistic body horror (ex: Parasyte the Maxim) with exaggerated human proportions

This is where I'm at as well. Gore doesn't bother me all that much, especially because the "geyser of blood from a single stab wound" kind that you mentioned often comes off as mildly humorous as opposed to disturbing.

That being said, I'm in the same position re: the body horror stuff a la Akira or Parasyte. Always had a weak stomach for that, and occasionally the fact that it's animated makes it even more grotesque.
Apr 18, 2017 11:16 PM

Apr 2016
The only gore I don't like is the over the top ones. Blood C rabbits gave me a nightmare when I watched it.
Otherwise I think I'm okay with gore in anime if it's used properly and has some realism in it.
Apr 18, 2017 11:17 PM

Apr 2017
The Details of a Gore anime... is very a subjective... so in a again what's the point..?

when your body get soaked in the blood.. Means Inevitable Death...

seeing shows that attached me is Corpse Party.. Apart that the show is very gruesome.. and corpses are mingly around inside the brink of the classroom..

We know how awful every situation was that doesn't mean.. you blew out it's cover..

Towards the audiences.. The Shocking Truth was been.. pretty.. twisted.. no matter how such a droughtful it could be..

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Apr 19, 2017 12:28 AM

Feb 2013
something modern anime deffo needs more of
Apr 19, 2017 12:59 AM

Oct 2016
It's fine as long as it has a decent plot. I don't think I can watch random gore scenes like Pupa.

SnK, lfen Lied, Blood+, Parasyte are some of the good shows with gore.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 19, 2017 2:22 AM

Feb 2016
I actually really don't like Gore.It depends at how it used in a Anime but I never going to like Gore that much.I have watched some Animes with Gore but these were more realistic.Something like Corpse Party is definitely not that what I want to see.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Apr 19, 2017 2:59 AM

Apr 2015
Of course course gore is fun! Why? Because it's fun! And fun things are FUN!
Apr 19, 2017 3:45 AM

Feb 2017
It doesn't bother me, but most of the time it's just there for the sake of it and isn't adding anything to the plot. Like, I'd rather see character development or people grappling with their morals, than someone having their guts ripped out.
'I love you because you're you. I'm happy that you're whole. I don't care if there are sides of you that I don't know, or don't like. If that's who you are, that's fine. As long as you're whole, that's enough for me.'-Kouko Kaga
Apr 19, 2017 3:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I don't care about gore. Not sure what kind of enjoyment that is supposed to bring me

Though I hate censorship by principle so if that's the alternative then I'd rather have gore, but I'd rather have neither of the two still
Apr 19, 2017 4:12 AM

Jul 2015
Sometimes they put it in for no reason other than shock value, but I like it anyways lol
Disclaimer: I do NOT like irl gore
Apr 19, 2017 4:49 AM

Oct 2011
I've grown desensitized towards it.
Apr 19, 2017 5:05 AM

Feb 2016
I have to admit that I don't like seeing gore - but if it's used in a "correct" way - not just simply slaughtering and killing lots of people without any reason - I don't mind it.
Apr 19, 2017 5:48 AM

Nov 2016
Same as in western media, you just don't put a bunch of gratuitious gore and expect it to be good. You need that little something to make it good. Or if gore make sense, like getting hit by a great sword = large gaping wound and lot of blood.
Apr 19, 2017 5:53 AM

Jan 2011
wont lie most of the time anime gore makes me laugh an i find it hard to take seriously, (Another death scenes an HxH butler explosion scenes come to mind)
but there are these few exceptions on which anime gore shocked me like in LOGH when we finally see how people are dying inside the battleships around ep 50
Apr 19, 2017 5:57 AM

Apr 2015
Aoi_Yui said:
I've met people who can't stand gore scenes, some like them, some just don't care. In my case I'm not really bothered by gore as long as there is some value to the anime outside of it. Pretty much the same standpoint I take on fanservice anime but I digress. What are your thoughts on the use of gore in anime.

I basically share your sentiment OP. Gore/Guro for the sake of it is far from entertaining. That's one of the reasons I'm in no rush to start any incarnation of Berserk, as I have yet to hear any reason for the series to be so overdone with it's graphic content other then that late-80's/early-90's edge.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

82 by Shirayukin »»
28 seconds ago

» Does anyone ever feel like anime is inferior to western television. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

15poundfish - Feb 12, 2017

350 by Lord_Lelouch_ »»
4 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Yesterday

21 by hypergoob »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 2 hours ago

9 by Hitagi__Furude »»
13 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 8 hours ago

25 by Toooooooooohru »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.