Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 7, 2016 5:08 AM
Nov 2010
Gigaffect said:
I think they changed the ending because of the movie that is coming soon.

Ending wasn't really changed if ur in regards to the VN making it look like he was going to die/ did die

Aug 7, 2016 7:25 AM

Nov 2011
Just finished playing the VN. I wished they didn't skip some sruffs . The previous episodes are short they could have made a proper length if they didn't skip those. The crab battle to hologram, to Perfectly Human bgm to ending better in the original, but the first part of the crab battle in ep4 better in the anime, crab didn't use the railgun in the original there. Some skipped monolog could have improved the ep3 projection but otherwise anime is better there as we actually see it. Well actually some skipped monolog could have improved every other scenes. But it is still an excellent adaptation, just look at Rewrite. I didn't play Rewrite VN but it's obvious it's not a good adaptation.
Also they made me care about the Crab in the VN. They skipped it in the anime so the Crab is just enemy bot. They at least mentioned that Hoshino and the crab is similar in about 1 line iirc.
Is it just me or the crab scene bgm in ep4 is a remix of perfectly human?
edit: well just went to rewatch that scene, it's not a remix. I just thought after playing the VN that they gotta have used that bgm somewhere and the ep4 scene was the closest I can recall.
ernstAug 11, 2016 3:04 AM
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Aug 7, 2016 10:12 AM

Dec 2013
MrJc said:
Gigaffect said:
I think they changed the ending because of the movie that is coming soon.

Ending wasn't really changed if ur in regards to the VN making it look like he was going to die/ did die

Doesn't matter.
That's still not the way the VN ends, so the ending as it was intended was changed.

The reason the VN ending had so much impact was because readers didn't know what happened to the Junker due to the incoming war machines and his injury. You can read the VN alone, ignore the Drama CDs, and have a very solid standalone story.
This is why it's a good idea to view them as separate works.

The VN is the VN, the Drama CDs are the Drama CDs.
Let's not combine them just because.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Aug 7, 2016 10:24 AM

Dec 2012
I might be a little broken, I'm practically crying over a fictional robot. That moment when the rain became tears ended me. Yumemi was absolutely precious and really blurred that line between her own AI and Kuzuya's humanity. I pray just this once that there is a heaven for Yumemi and that she can find a place there among human souls.

I never imagined picking up an ONA on a whim would do this to me. Right from the start I knew I was in for something special. Yumemi's presentation really gave a sense of wonder as they explored how vast the universe and passage of time is. The sensation that there's a larger than life grand scheme out there that stretches every end of the cosmos.

9/10, short but understood its scale and made a full impact with it.
Aug 7, 2016 10:37 AM
Nov 2010
Cakedog said:

Doesn't matter.
That's still not the way the VN ends, so the ending as it was intended was changed.

The reason the VN ending had so much impact was because readers didn't know what happened to the Junker due to the incoming war machines and his injury. You can read the VN alone, ignore the Drama CDs, and have a very solid standalone story.
This is why it's a good idea to view them as separate works.

The VN is the VN, the Drama CDs are the Drama CDs.
Let's not combine them just because.

Meh you can say "This is why it's a good idea to view them as separate works."
But the drama CD is still a Continuation of the story and should be watched/listened to as well to get the full story. So yes you can combine them.

Now my own personal opinion
Ending the movie saying I'm a starteller Had a far bigger impact than how it ended in the VN. Was a perfect way to end the ONA
MrJcAug 7, 2016 12:15 PM
Aug 7, 2016 1:00 PM

Dec 2013
I really did not like this. I had some major issues with this last episode, previous episodes were mostly boring.

Such a cheap death scene to try and toy with the viewers emotions, but it is done so transparant that it just can't be taken seriously. This is the payoff after 4 episodes of boring dialogue that went nowhere?

Cute robot girl asks to forgive the other murder robots, that also murdered her. I think the point (by the creators) has been made clear that robots are dangerous, even the girl ignores commands do to whatever she wants. Great way to undercut the whole emotional message of "people and robots should live together". Apparantly that would be a dumb idea and the show even proves it.

The asshole junker dude, leaves the necklace he got from his mother and replaces it with the girls memory card... I mean, sure she is cute and all, but don't you want to keep the only memorobilia from your own mother?

The very first scene, where the people say goodbye to the robotgirl, seems utterly stupid in hindsight, once you realise that she isn't some special robot, but a cheap, mass-produced model that was there just to welcome customers and give a simple presentation. There are probably thousands more robots like her and even with more sophisticated technology. That would be like you crying that you need to leave your toaster behind. Forgeting that nuclear holocaust is coming, that is just stupid.

At least the animation looked nice...
Aug 7, 2016 1:35 PM

Dec 2013
MrJc said:

Meh you can say "This is why it's a good idea to view them as separate works."
But the drama CD is still a Continuation of the story and should be watched/listened to as well to get the full story. So yes you can combine them.

Now my own personal opinion
Ending the movie saying I'm a starteller Had a far bigger impact than how it ended in the VN. Was a perfect way to end the ONA

When I first read the VN a while ago it left a big impression on me despite having read many VNs. It would not be until a few years later that I discovered there was more Planetarian content:
Audio Drama CDs

That's also why I was hoping the 5-episode ONA would stick to the open-ended VN ending so it could stand on its own, but they instead they decided to sequel bait the movie.

I still enjoyed this adaptation very much (it's one of my Favorites), but can't help but be disappointed in their execution of the ending since I have a bias for the source material.
Aug 8, 2016 4:07 AM

Apr 2015
Am I the only one hating the existence of the sequel? the VN/anime should have ended right there, where both junker and Yumemi dead. With the hanging question whether the SD memory card survives or not.

of course, totally implying that it doesn't survive. given that humanity is just scourging for food, they don't have any time for any stupid memory card.The circle of irony and vanity continues both for humans and robots.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Aug 8, 2016 7:03 AM
Jun 2015
i am disappointed, it didn't strike me with feels like it did when i read the VN...

honestly, the bigger impact for me is when the Junker says that he is starteller in the end...

at least we see junker and yumemi animated,

6/10

now to wait for hoshi no hito...
Aug 8, 2016 10:16 AM

Jul 2015
why does Yumemi say she is the bargain model android that cant produce tears, when she is clearly crying in the end?
Aug 8, 2016 10:47 AM

Dec 2013
kidlat020 said:
Am I the only one hating the existence of the sequel? the VN/anime should have ended right there, where both junker and Yumemi dead. With the hanging question whether the SD memory card survives or not.

That's actually how the VN ends.
In the VN it is implied that the Junker died because there were hunter machines incoming and he had a severe injury.

Sequel-baiting is rarely ever a good idea and that's what they went with.

Someone actually created a fan-made ending which tried to make it closer to the VN ending. IMO despite how rough it is, it's far superior to how David Production decided to end it.
They did her final words nearly perfect.
The difference is huge when you compare them side-by-side.

Fan-made Ending:
CakedogAug 8, 2016 10:53 AM
Aug 8, 2016 6:46 PM
Aug 2013
Yumemi ;_;

Short but a touching and heartwarming series.
Aug 9, 2016 12:29 AM
Jul 2015
Well this was a complete waste of time. 5/10
Aug 9, 2016 2:39 AM

Sep 2009
Maybe it's because I knew what was going to happen it didn't hit me as hard as when it first did but still very heart wrenching.

It's clear how execution and medium completely impacts a story. The show left things out from the VN that went a long way in articulating what little humanity is left in the world and how the two cope with their grim state of existence.

All and all it's a good entry for those that aren't familiar with the VN and it's a nice sentiment for those that are already fans.
Aug 9, 2016 3:33 PM

Jun 2015
For those unhappy about the non-open ending:
This is supposed to be advertising the movie, which tells what happens to Junker later, so there is no need to make it open-ended. Everybody knows he survives.
Aug 10, 2016 3:15 AM

Dec 2008
Way too sad... still crying
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 10, 2016 2:29 PM

Aug 2013
Looked like the end of a PROLOGUE, not a complete series. Seriously, the 5 episodes felt like a simple introduction to the universe.
But heh... It was really good, though.
Aug 10, 2016 4:44 PM

Apr 2015
AX2015 said:
why does Yumemi say she is the bargain model android that cant produce tears, when she is clearly crying in the end?

It's also raining...
Aug 10, 2016 8:38 PM

Oct 2008
Damn it made me teared-up!
the OST really executed very well!
128 EB on that small SD-like card(exabytes? in the future it will be true!...maybe quantum technology or much higher tech that we do not know of yet)
Farewell star story teller Yumemi Hoshino!
5/5!

Aug 11, 2016 3:47 PM

Jan 2014
I had quite a bad day, but I hadn't yet been punched in the gut properly, untill I decided to watch the final two episodes of Planetarian.

9/10

Even though I only picked it up later, I think it's safe to say this show ended up saving the summer 2016 anime season for me.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Aug 11, 2016 3:52 PM

Oct 2012
Good episode and very nice Yumeno speech in the end (although maybe too long).

The actual end was kinda lacking though, it somehow felt incomplete. Maybe because the intend to continue in the movie or it was done better in the novel?

7/10 Highlight of this anime was its Projection episode and Yumeno's talkative attitude but the resolution felt just too flat as opposed to rest of the story.

Still way better than Rewrite though.
Aug 12, 2016 2:59 PM

Dec 2015
Expected ending. I liked the fact the android is destroyed by another robot still haunting the city to do its job

4/5

Too long but sweet. Nothing new.

5.5+/10

PS: no idea why but I am under the impression I already watched the same story in some US series or movie.
Rei_IIIAug 12, 2016 3:02 PM
Aug 13, 2016 2:07 PM

Jan 2014
I knew this was not going to have a happy ending when I started this show, but I still cried so hard :(

that last scene...I'm a star teller...

9/10
DoctorWasabiAug 13, 2016 2:10 PM
Aug 14, 2016 4:11 PM

Jul 2014
Yngvi said:
Looked like the end of a PROLOGUE, not a complete series. Seriously, the 5 episodes felt like a simple introduction to the universe.
But heh... It was really good, though.

This is where the Visual Novel ended; it's a wrap. We are getting a side story adapted though, which is neat.
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Aug 15, 2016 2:16 AM

Jan 2009
Very good for a 5-episode show/adaptation.

I'd give it a 8/10, even though I don't know the VN. Great soundtrack, visuals and plot.
Aug 15, 2016 12:07 PM

Jan 2015
Won't deny I cried. Great anime
Aug 16, 2016 3:21 AM

Mar 2009
I admit that this was a decent adaptation overall but...
The ending really lacked the emotional impact which the original source had, so I was a bit disappointed, honestly.
Aug 16, 2016 9:19 AM

Nov 2015
This was a really beautiful series, RIP Hoshino :(! 8/10

Aug 16, 2016 3:47 PM

Feb 2015
Aww a sad ending T_T obviously I didn't want Yumemi to die because she's a bout the nicest robot ever to exist. But that can't be helped because it's the story, so I can say that the way they handled her passing was very good, retaining her memories and leaving it up to us to happily imagine that her memories and wonderful computer personality would live on. But yeah it's been a brilliant little story with just those 2 characters. They reason why everything was abandoned is unexplained, but I think that's fine. It's not about why they were all alone but the time the characters spent with each other.
Aug 17, 2016 2:27 AM

Aug 2007
Hard to objectively rate this adaptation as it brought all sorts of nostalgia vibes from one of the very first visual novels I read more or less a decade ago. Anyway my only real complaint is the ridiculously long 10 minutes and change death scene. I agree that it lacked emotional impact and I believe that if it were shortened to around 5 minutes then it would have better kept the attention of the viewer.

Seriously there's something wrong when I'm going "when are you going to die already?" on what should be the climax of the story. Didn't help that her guts were plastered all over the pavement. I get that she's a robot and all, but difficult to reconcile such damage with a cute girl calmly narrating her ode to death.

Ah well 7/10 for the nostalgia feels.
Aug 18, 2016 5:03 AM

May 2013
Last episode was just as feelsy as everyone anticipated it to be. It was pretty sad, though I wasn't anywhere near crying. Good little series, and a great adaptation. 7/10.
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Aug 21, 2016 10:44 AM

Feb 2015
I think this show deserve more rating...
but anyway, What a train of feels episode. from the beginning of the episode, i already feel the feels...and it was keep coming like a train into me. and when the moment of trurth happened, that was when i started crying. Seriously, this robot....i have never see this kind of robot in anime just gonne be real honest here.

i mean, unlike any other robot in anime which has a will and is acting like a real humans, Yumemi is different. Yes, she kind has a will but at the same time, she is still a robot and acting like a robot even tho sometimes she looks like a real human. that part, is what i love about her.

And i really like the part that this show isn't only a show that only has a story, character, soundtrack and done without any meaning. basically, i like the story a lot cause it has a big meaning in it. and i just realized it when Yumemi said her wish; She wish a god will not divide heaven into half, seperate humans and robots. really like the relationship between humans and robot here and what the story was trying to say. And the part, in this episode, when Yumemi said that she has another promise that she needs to keep everytime even tho he said to her to stay. She said "I must not knowingly allow any human being to come to harm. Keeping this promise is the pride of us robots" and at that moment, i was like "my god this freaking robots is real!!"

And one last thing that made me cry so much in this episode, The moment when Yumemi showed him all of the moment when the planetarium is still working and many humans made a contact with her, talk to her, thanked her, help her, and many other more until the last one when all of the staff of the planetarium was talking to her before they went off to a horrifiying trip. that last moment, got me so hard.

Overall, it was well executed imo even tho i still think it might be better if they made it inot a movie. but this way, made it into an OVA series is really great too. i mean it has it's own unique atmosphere. obvious 9.5/10 from me. and obvious it's one of my fav anime. really glad to know that there is a movie sequel for this anime. well, obviously they need to at least make a sequel, cause the mc will obviously try to make her again and make a planetarium. i can't wait to see that!!! ;_;

i wonder if Yumemi's memories or....her mind/will will be revive again in the new body.......if only the memories.....guess i need to prepare some tissue beforehand...
Aug 22, 2016 1:02 PM
Jul 2018
It was a great watch at the end,hmm...I really love to see finally a unique anime dealing between humans and robots.Also this anime story's timeperiod seem quite realistic which we might up also in later future..Thats why I did say this anime worth of watching~~cant wait to see how sequels work--hope it will be more even heartwarming!
Sep 2, 2016 8:44 AM
Nov 2015
well, as a VN fans, all I want to say is that what makes whole series sad is not the death of Yumei, instead, is how human butcher the civilization and achievement they seek and made before. Yumei is just a average robot and a little bit annoyed, but she does hope someday that human are able to recover what they lost(being hinted in ep 3) and possess somewhat humanity we human have before; but unforunatly die in the end, which seems to suggest the 100% extinction of humanity.
that's why I feel intensive emotional impact from VN(even though VN contains a lot of dialogues and monologues, they are still worth to be evaluated and appreciated)

But, the anime just makes me feel that "well, the robot die and makes people sad." which is kind disappointed. VN score: 95, anime:80+5

By the way, I am not native Eng speaker, so, forgive me if my comment is confusing, please.
Sep 3, 2016 2:35 PM

Apr 2014
The feel...T^T
Damn human never kept their promise.
8/10 Too short tho.
Sep 4, 2016 11:49 PM

May 2016
This was a really disappointing ending, which is incredible when you take into account that all they had to do in order to make it a great ending was killing the main character. They had set it up perfectly: the projection writer's belief that despite its flaws, humanity would ultimately come around to ending all wars and aiming for the stars, Hoshino's slow realization that the world was, indeed, broken and both character's good natures being responsible for their demise painted a bleak, hopeless situation that the ending betrays. Killing the main character would make sure that both him and Hoshino are forgotten forever, and the fact that he both comes to understand how beautiful the world sometimes can be and is given some hints that a different world might have been possible would make his struggles even more pointless, and the ending even more poignant. Instead they went for an obvious cop-out. After the first three episodes Planetarian was on its way to proving that a simple, unambitious series can still be a bleak and heartbreaking tragedy. Instead, all it proved was that it is very easy for the audience to identify half-assed, last minute changes to the plot.
Lease_of_LifeSep 5, 2016 12:03 AM
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Sep 7, 2016 12:50 PM

Oct 2008
Didn't know this anime aired. It was a bit surreal watching this when I've always thought it would never be adapted into an anime. A few interesting differences, like the rain not being deadly acid rain, or the Junker shown to survive at the end. Haven't played the VN again in a long long time, but watching this made me remember how good and sad it was.

10/10 Really looking forward to the movie. Just glad the Junker survived. The VN's ending was absolutely soul crushing.
Sep 8, 2016 5:30 AM
Mar 2015
Loved it, and cried a lot T^T. 9/10!
Sep 13, 2016 12:37 AM

Jul 2011

I gave that vid a quick look and i actually laughed when i watched him buckle right before he put the memory chip in the new robot. tbh I like the way it ended in the VN
Sep 15, 2016 10:33 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty good for a 5-ep series. The climax was a bit too dragged for me but nonetheless I enjoyed it a lot. I would put a 7/10 but the musical score just begs me to up it to 8/10.

Looking forward to the movie.
Sep 17, 2016 7:13 AM

Aug 2009
with these ONAs you will get "most Key for your minute." For only 5 episodes, it's as swift as a surgeon knife cuts open your body, but the feels will last... well done Key and the adaptation company

Since im in Japan, imma get my ass into the theater to watch that movie sequel soon.
Oct 2, 2016 2:38 PM

Jan 2014
That was a beautiful short series I would say.
Oct 15, 2016 6:57 AM

Dec 2012
Beautiful short series, the end was very sad. It's rare that I feel something watching a short anime, but here the relation between Hoshino and Kuzuya was really well done.
Great ending.
Oct 15, 2016 2:28 PM

Jun 2014
Finally a Key show I like, probably won't bother with any of their other series though. This was great.

9/10
:3
Nov 1, 2016 9:44 AM

May 2012
Damn what a melodramatic ending :'( quite a lovely ending though! I quite loved the overall atmosphere and setting of this anime, as it had a very lovely yet sad feel over it.

I sure do love the overall setting of an apocalyptic world, would love to see more anime in this genre!

But in general this anime, while being short was oh so lovely! Especially that ending.
Nov 17, 2016 11:34 AM

Feb 2015
Having played the visual novel, I was interested in trying this. Didn't like the VN that much, but the anime version is quite nice. A bit overly dramatic at the end, but still a decent watch, overall.
Dec 13, 2016 10:19 AM

Jul 2014
Yumemi........ T^T

This anime was so sad but still satisfying the way they made it. I haven't read the Visual Novels or wherever this series first originated and have absolutely no background on this show until I started episode 1 and ended with episode 5. I still enjoyed a lot however. Only 5 episodes and it really hits you hard unlike other animes that are 12-24 episodes long.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Dec 18, 2016 1:31 AM

May 2016
Yumemi just walked towards that rogue mech like it was nothing to give Mr. Customer precious time to finish him... and she got mowed by the hail of bullets that came soon after. Her injuries are horrible and I'm a little glad that she couldn't feel any pain at the time.

Her farewell to Mr. Customer was a very emotional one; the raindrops even helped in adding in the feels by making robot tears for Yumemi. I couldn't handle it well at all :'(

With Yumemi's memories stored in the little box strung on his neck, Kuzuya marches on to reach civilization and revive her. Seeing him act dead inside because of losing Yumemi when back-up arrived. "I'm no Junker...I'm a... starteller!" The feels are strong with this one.

I felt that this short series was very underrated. This is one of the best short VN adaptations I've ever seen.

Feb 4, 2017 1:47 PM

Feb 2016
I wish this was longer. Pretty interesting series, although it seemed kinda boring at first.
Does the VN explore more, how short is it?
Feb 9, 2017 8:18 AM
Nov 2015
Aquamirror said:
I wish this was longer. Pretty interesting series, although it seemed kinda boring at first.
Does the VN explore more, how short is it?
yeah, try VN, and then try the other three drama CD.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 27, 2016

92 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

rsc-pl - Jul 20, 2016

100 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 13, 2016

79 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:09 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2016

178 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 7:49 PM

» Anime vs VN

Cleferest - Aug 4, 2016

14 by MikeWazowskiMiky »»
May 26, 2023 11:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.