3It was OK
3.7%
2Disliked it
0.1%
1Hated it
0.1%
Average 4.8
787 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 9:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Adorable, this was really sweet for an episode starting from the OP song and to the character chemistry.

Tsumugi is really a sweet character imo as well, good voice acting for her role. Just a really sweet episode in general because of how loving the relationship between a daughter and father really is.

Jul 4, 2016 10:03 AM

Nov 2007
6 months after his wife dies, he still tries to take care of his daughter even though he's busy. Daughter doesn't feel lonely even though he always prepare frozen foods and bento. Hanami and meeting a girl who was supposed to eat with her mother.

He just found out what she really need, hand-made meal. Wow, it takes a long time to just make rice and that girl is a student from his school.

Both OP and ED are so nice, suitable for the anime.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 4, 2016 10:14 AM

Apr 2010
I found this very touching.
A nice episode of a parent trying hard to raise his daughter.
Defenitely looking forward to what this anime has to offer in the future episodes.
Jul 4, 2016 10:17 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING KAWAII
Jul 4, 2016 11:16 AM

Jan 2012
Fantastic as expected. Slightly reminiscent of Koufuku Graffiti. Between this and Bananya I'll hafta watch out that Mondays this season don't give me diabetes! XD
Jul 4, 2016 11:17 AM

Mar 2016
THIS IS SO CUTE, I CAN'T STOP SMILING!!!
Jul 4, 2016 11:23 AM

Jan 2015
This anime is just perfect. I like the OP and ED, the Voice Actor also perfectly fit. Though I never thought to shed some tears while Tsumugi said something about send a letter to her deceased mother.
MasceraJul 4, 2016 2:31 PM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jul 4, 2016 11:23 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Teared up already. This show is gonna be the end of me.

Kouhei and his wife did a great job raising a great child. I love Kouhei already for being so sincere and loving to his daughter. Kotori is cute and loving, too.

Tsumugi is the cutest child character ever. Seriously, what the hell? :)

This is the better Usagi Drop, it ticks all the right boxes with me.
Jul 4, 2016 11:26 AM

Oct 2014
This was really nice. I'll be wanting to see how they manage to carry this out for 12 eps
Jul 4, 2016 11:30 AM

Nov 2012
such a cute first episode, with some touching moments. :> a great start.
Jul 4, 2016 11:36 AM

May 2012
That was a pretty sad and adorable start at the same time. So Tsumugi hasn't been told about her mother's death or doesn't grasp the concept of death at her age yet then. Kouhei seems like a cool and caring father

Kotori(Dunno what she'd go by for the majority of the anime) is pretty damn cute too. Gave me some Kirie vibes and levels of cuteness there
OlemJul 4, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 4, 2016 11:39 AM

Mar 2014
i cant live this july witout this anime and new game
Jul 4, 2016 11:43 AM

Jun 2014
Its like Usagi Drop combined with Barakamon, but I can't only just eat rice for dinner.

Jul 4, 2016 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
Cute? Adorable? Not even enough to describe this as such. I actually fell in love at first sight! This is sweetness for heart and soul, ahhh! Insta 9/10; Love OP&ED.
Jul 4, 2016 11:55 AM

May 2010
Such a great start, tsumugi is is simply adorable :D Realy enjoyable first episode.
Jul 4, 2016 11:56 AM

Sep 2015
The very instant Tsumugi spoke I was like "wait, this is Naru from Barakamon!". And from that point on I knew this show can't fail.

5/5 first ep. The feels, the expressions, everything <3
Jul 4, 2016 12:00 PM

Sep 2008
omg a father daughter story , with food! i'm in
i just hope this doesnt turn like the usagi drop manga...
Salokannel2 said:
The very instant Tsumugi spoke I was like "wait, this is Naru from Barakamon!". And from that point on I knew this show can't fail.

naru of barakamon...hoo so maybe that's why it was so good :D
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jul 4, 2016 12:01 PM

Dec 2014
Great start, That was absolutely adorable.

I love the way Tsumugi says Oto(h)-san, She's so cute.
Got all teary eyed when Sensei cried, Such a touching moment ;.;

I'm definitely gonna enjoy this.
Jul 4, 2016 12:01 PM

Oct 2011
ong it's barakomon all over again. cuteness overload
Jul 4, 2016 12:02 PM

Sep 2015
While browsing through Crunchyroll's seasonal chart I stumbled upon Sweetness & Lighting. A quick glance at the visual and I thought to myself this looked like a rather boring show. However, unless I am completely opposed to watching a show, I always try and give seasonals a fair chance. Without a doubt, I am very glad I decided to press play because Sweetness & Lightning may just become an anime that I will remember for awhile and will hold dearly within my heart.

Being a young adult male myself I often do think about what's in store for my future. Many times I have thought about being the best dad I could be. This anime really connects with me on a more personal level as Inuzuka represents what I wish to become. A father that loves his child to the moon and back is something that I want to be when I reach that point in my life. Seeing how happy Tsumugi is being around dad made each and every scene joyful and happy. I couldn't help but smile. Their relationship is touching beyond words. The premise of this show reminded me a lot of Wolf Children but the key difference here is that the lone parent is portrayed at somewhat incompetent, Inuzuka is capable of reaching the bare minimum but when it comes to cooking, he is rather inexperienced. And he knows that. This is someone who isn't blinded but instead aware of reality yet he still tries his hardest at being the best dad he can for his daughter. His love for Tsumugi is really charming and throughout this first episode there were so many moments where I just sat back and took in the sweetness of the anime.

We're then introduced to the other main character, Kotori, and right away I noticed she is voice acted by someone who voices characters from some of my favorite shows, Shirayuki from Akagami no Shirayukihime, Ayase from Oreimo, and Yukino from Oregairu. Her voice fits perfectly with how Kotori is being portrayed, a shy and timid girl, and with Kotori added to the mix I can see a lot of funny moments in future episodes. I couldn't be the only one to ask myself, "is she going to boil that rice?", when she poured the water into the pot and let it sit to soak in the water. Given how she reacted when she was not sure how much water to put into the pot, it's not too crazy of me to think she doesn't know how to make rice.

As much as this show is cheerful and bright, there were some serious and down to earth moments. It's hinted that Tsumugi does not know the fate of her mom and when she innocently asked Inuzuka to write a letter to her mom, one could see how much impact that one phrase had on the poor father. It hit me pretty hard as well. There will always be the debate on whether or not young children should be told of these things. Is it better to let them know now and allow them time to grieve or protect their smiles until they're older and hopefully better at comprehending and accepting the situation. Both routes has it's issues and there will never be a satisfying answer. I wonder if this point will be brought up later into the anime. While so far the anime is shown as a lighter more happy show, I think it would be nice if this situation got dealt with later on as a point of development for Tsumugi.

Seeing Inuzuka emotional at the sight of his daughter enjoy a simple cup of homemade cooked rice was incredibly touching. It showcased how hard the situation was on him, being unable to cook a proper delicious meal, and it actually made me tear up a bit. Relating back to how much his Tsumugi means to Inuzuka, even eating something as basic as rice, without any side dishes either, the happiness he experienced in that moment was very moving.

The Summer 2016 lineup felt a bit weak to me compared to the previous Winter and Spring. The only shows that I was really looking forward too were the much anticipated Orange and Food Wars Season 2. Everything else seemed to be just your average show, ones that I'll most likely end up liking but none that would leave a lasting impression on me. I am tremendously excited to add Sweetness & Lightning to my list of potential seasonal favorites and will be looking forward to every Monday for the next couple of months.

They say you will miss every shot you don't take, I am glad I took a shot today.
HecticLeoJul 4, 2016 10:40 PM
Jul 4, 2016 12:03 PM

Sep 2015
One of the best start of this season, I almost cried ;w;
I love Tsumugi's seiyu's voice, really good cast
can't wait to watch next episodes :D

(everyone is talking about Barakamon, I think I'll go watch it now then)
Jul 4, 2016 12:06 PM

Nov 2011
Got teary eyed as soon as I saw the photo of the mother. Great first episode.

A spectacular Cast as well. Saori Hayami and Yuuichi Nakamura? That alone is worth it.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 4, 2016 12:07 PM

Jan 2016
Usagi Drop is a show i recently finished I was hoping to see some new release anime similar to it-this looks like it might fit that hole.

Cuteness level is ridiculous, love these slices of life with single parents. I grew with a single father raising me and my sister so these touch home a little for me. Either way great first episode and I will be hooked for the season.

I hope Kotori doesn't fall into that "young girl falls for young Teacher" character. More interested in a women his agel falling for him since Kotori is only a freshman in his High School-which could cause problems later down the road.
Jul 4, 2016 12:13 PM
Mar 2016
Oh my god. This one is soooooooooo lovely. So freaking adorable. <3
Jul 4, 2016 12:14 PM

Oct 2009
I didn't expect this anime to be this good, it's like watching Usagi Drop mixed with Barakamon! Best show for now. 5/5
Jul 4, 2016 12:14 PM

Jun 2009
One step closer to diabetes.... damn!
Jul 4, 2016 12:16 PM

Oct 2009

on that screenshot he look like Shinichi from Kiseijuu lmao.
this anime is sooo cute. it's heartwarming to watch dad caring so much for his daughter and it's been few months since mom'd death. he would do everything to make Tsumugi happy and it's hard to do it since he is working parent ^^ they are totally adorable together. i'd ship sensei with Kotori but i'll try to not to do that lol. i was waiting for that series for so long and it was worth it. can't wait for the next episodes.

you tellin me mangas aint japanese colouring books
Jul 4, 2016 12:17 PM

Apr 2016
Does Tsumugi remind anyone alse of Ushio?

Also, I'm hungry.
Jul 4, 2016 12:18 PM

Jul 2015
OH MY GOD! LOVE! THAT'S THE ONLY THING I FELT THROUGHOUT THIS EPISODE! Easily one of the best of the season so far!
Jul 4, 2016 12:20 PM

Nov 2012
Not bad, but not sure I like Tsumugi's voice...
Jul 4, 2016 12:20 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Normally I dislike the portrayal of kids in anime, but this girls is kawaii as hell, and the story while sweet and upbeat, also has a very sad background to it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 4, 2016 12:22 PM

Oct 2014

F*ck it!
it's too early for some onion :'(
I'm not ready.
Revvie-chanJul 4, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 4, 2016 12:25 PM

Mar 2013
Salokannel2 said:

That's not Naru, that's Hina (the one, who cried constantly) :)
Jul 4, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2018
It was a cute episode!

Tsumugi is so cute!
Jul 4, 2016 12:31 PM

Sep 2015
AntonKutovoi said:
Salokannel2 said:

That's not Naru, that's Hina (the one, who cried constantly) :)
oh.. No no no, I didn't mean that the seiyuu is the same (even though their Naru's and Tsumugi's voices sound similar, don't know if it's the way they speak or just the voice that sounds similar though) but personality wise.

Tsumugi gave off that same feeling that naru did. Like a carefree but sweet feeling, you know x) that's what I meant :P
Jul 4, 2016 12:33 PM

Sep 2014
I dont think I will survive this show, my heart already melted five times this episode.
Jul 4, 2016 12:33 PM

May 2015
Wow. What an amazing first episode! I honestly wasn't originally going to watch this, but I'm so glad I did. I've always loved parent-child relationships in anime, and this one is very nice. I love seeing how much Kouhei loves his daughter Tsugumi. And Tsugumi's so cute!
Cross-country >>>>>>>>>>>> Every other sport
Jul 4, 2016 12:40 PM
Apr 2011
I hate shows like this. I cant make it 10 minutes into the first episode without tearing up. This better be similar to Usagi Drop (anime) and not some drama cause it will kill me lolol.

Dec 2007
All i was expecting from this show.....i would like for it to come out FASTER :D
[center]If you aren't troubling the rest of the world, then there's no harm in being abnormal.

Jul 2014
I had a gut feeling that this would be good, and boy am I impressed so far. It's definitely cute, no doubt about it, but it's good to see that the show isn't solely relying on that and is going to work with its characters as well. The ED song is really good as well, though I really dislike that OP. Also, Tsumugi doesn't know about what happened to her mother? Well, I guess there's gonna be a lot of feels if (or more likely when) she is told the truth.
Jul 4, 2016 12:44 PM

Jul 2016
Not usually a fan of moe but this is actually cute. Nice first ep, hopefully it doesn't end up like fucking Usagi Drop.
Jul 4, 2016 12:53 PM

Aug 2015
I am so glad to hear Rina Endo again from Barakamon. She is the best at playing little kids I've ever heard, and coupled with the quality of the show itself it was so cute I nearly cried rainbows.
Jul 4, 2016 1:03 PM

Jun 2008
This was SO CUTE. I can barely even handle how cute it is.

I just hope there isn't any romance between the dad and the high school girl.
Jul 4, 2016 1:04 PM
May 2014
Okocha119 said:
I really hope that the focus stays on the relationship between the father and the daughter and that the show doesn't drift off into some creepy romance between him and his student (the signs are there) or some similar story line.

there is something like that: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-NupgO49KtqE/VtQaMj7u3wI/AAAAAAAF21M/03FQ44jo8Q8/s0-Ic42/022.jpg in manga, it rly annoys me whenever any of the characters bring upromance , but it didnt go anywhere so far, lest hope it stays like that
Jul 4, 2016 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
Touching, cute and overall a great start to this. This will definitely be one of my seasonal unwinding anime where I can watch a show and relax
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Jul 4, 2016 1:09 PM

Oct 2015
Very good start in my opinion.

Looks like it will be going to be a hearthwarming anime so far.

Jul 4, 2016 1:09 PM
Nov 2015
Pretty solid! The fight scenes were intense and who could have expected that plot twist at the end!

Ok seriously this is cute af I love it
Jul 4, 2016 1:10 PM

Oct 2012
I loved this first episode, looks like a really interesting show to watch this season :D!
VanishingKira said:
Sort of Barakamon vibe to this show which is good cause liked Barakamon,going to enjoy this show.

Nearly got teary eye during this scene

Same here... That scene was too much...
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Jul 4, 2016 1:12 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Absolutely adorable and it might just be the dark horse of the season. It only took a couple of minutes for me to get diabetes from this :D

5/5
Jul 4, 2016 1:13 PM

Jan 2016
Kunagi7 said:
I loved this first episode, looks like a really interesting show to watch this season :D!
VanishingKira said:
Sort of Barakamon vibe to this show which is good cause liked Barakamon,going to enjoy this show.

Nearly got teary eye during this scene

Same here... That scene was too much...

That hits you in Feels button hard.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2016

90 by Raizel »»
Mar 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2016

117 by Raizel »»
Feb 23, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2016

151 by Raizel »»
Feb 15, 3:14 PM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2016

151 by Animeshnik012 »»
Jan 5, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Amaama to Inazuma Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2016

64 by Amber_4shenfell »»
Jul 2, 2023 3:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.