Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 20, 2016 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm ,this felt like another slow episode but the second part was more interesting than I had expected with more emphasis on performance rather than just mystery.

Glad to see that turned out well despite some initial troubles. Glad to see Miyoko doing better and connecting with the others.
The dog intimidation scenario made me go WHAT lol. Sei is somewhat of an interesting character...with the episode that also has connection to his past.
Stark700Jan 20, 2016 10:25 AM
Jan 20, 2016 10:44 AM

Jan 2015
Awaiting for another new member and... New Romance?

Not to mention that this "Maya" girl's acting is so good. LOL
MasceraJan 20, 2016 10:51 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Jan 20, 2016 10:47 AM

Aug 2013
Haruta is annoying me as hell.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 20, 2016 10:48 AM

Jan 2012
Certainly a much livelier episode than the last, dog girl was great. :D Probably just poor subs but the way they referred to Sei's biological parents as his "real" parents bugged me. They gave him up, regardless of the reason. It's great they love him and he can get to know them, but don't diminish his real, real parents who raised him.

That aside I see an older sister with big beautiful tits next week...looks great! :D
Jan 20, 2016 10:49 AM
Jul 2018
Rather a decent episode actually, I enjoyed this a lot more than the previous (and no its not because of Episode 1 being the MC being gay, thats a controversy)
Jan 20, 2016 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
This episode was good.

The drama performance was decent!
Jan 20, 2016 11:04 AM

Aug 2010
My fav ep so far tbh. Friggin Haruta tho. This guy is so damn sly. He's such a good mastermind.

The acting part was really fun and quite interesting. That's actually a cool game.

Really liking Narushima way more than I expected I will. She's cute and funny <3
Jan 20, 2016 11:15 AM

Nov 2014
I really wanted to like HaruChika. I loved the art design, and I thought that having a gay lead character was great, but holy s*** this show is so boring.

Is this how Glasslip was, just a series of mundane scenarios? I saw a few people comparing that show to this one.
aikaflipJan 20, 2016 4:52 PM
Jan 20, 2016 11:20 AM

Feb 2015
This episode was the weakest. The acting part was interesting, but I feel like it didn't really fit with the musical/mystery theme of the series. Also, since a bunch of people joined the group, I just hope we won't get any more "convince x character to join" episodes. I really want to see something else happen with Haruta/Chika/the professor.
Noragami reading/watching order: http://blessedyuki.tumblr.com/noragami-guide

"2016 will be the year of Sanji" - Eiichiro Oda
Jan 20, 2016 11:21 AM

May 2012
aikaflip said:
I really wanted to like HaruChika. I loved the art design, and I thought that having a gay lead character was great, but holy s***—this show is so boring.

Is this how Glasslip was, just a series of mundane scenarios? I saw a few people comparing that show to this one.

Tbh this reminds me of Hyouka and everyone was praising that.
Jan 20, 2016 11:59 AM

May 2015
Episode felt weaker compared to previous episode. Their group is getting better, it seems. Nice. That performance was a pretty fun watch. I'm loving Narushima. She was adorable in this episode.

Jan 20, 2016 12:14 PM

Mar 2015
That was ok, the performance from the drama club was better then i though it would be.

The rest of the episode was.. a bit boring, i guess.
Jan 20, 2016 12:14 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That completely went over my head.
Jan 20, 2016 12:29 PM

Apr 2010
Strange episode with a nice conclusion and somewhat different from previous episodes.
Tho i wonder what will happen next after this.
Well they did manage to increase there members.
Jan 20, 2016 12:30 PM

Oct 2012
aikaflip said:
I really wanted to like HaruChika. I loved the art design, and I thought that having a gay lead character was great, but holy s***—this show is so boring.

Despite how boring this was, you still know what was going on. In Glasslip, you don't even understand what the characters say.
Jan 20, 2016 12:57 PM

Oct 2009
The drama is sooo cheesy! *cringe*

It was definitely much better than the last episode, even though that doesn't really say much since I gave them both 1/5, but still.

I'm sorry for being so negative, I'm just failing to see what's even slightly good about this show.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Jan 20, 2016 1:36 PM

Jul 2015
This episode didn't exactly register for me. I was just kind of thinking that whatever case it will be, Haruta will just solve it and drag on the explanation
Jan 20, 2016 1:37 PM
Sep 2015
Yeah I felt a little lost watching this episode, but I did enjoy the twist at the end. I didn't understand how they knew about his other family and how they knew so much about them.
Jan 20, 2016 1:45 PM

Sep 2014
I didn't exactly like the acting part, overall it was an OK episode.
Jan 20, 2016 1:54 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was pretty slow, but it was still enjoyable. The acting performance was okay. Looking forward to the next episode, but I'm still hoping it won't be those kinds of shows where a problem is solved and a new member joins in every single episode.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 20, 2016 1:56 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Lot better than the first two eps
Jan 20, 2016 2:09 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Unfortunately this episode didn't work for me. Most of the episode was pretty boring, and I just couldn't care anymore.

2/5
Jan 20, 2016 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
This episode was soooo good. Perfect from start to finish. Feels like Haruchika's gotten into a good groove.
Jan 20, 2016 2:56 PM

Jul 2015
Amazing episode!This mix of drama that make music <3
Jan 20, 2016 3:39 PM

Apr 2015
The acting was nice for the most part, even if the means were painfully obvious. Still don't know what to feel about the new characters, but I guess Narushima in this episode was okay. Lol at the wolf girl.
Jan 20, 2016 3:46 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty solid episode I must say.

Still giving the show a 6 overall though right now because the first 2 episodes weren't all that great, though if the show continues having stronger episodes I'll bump it up.

(I'll start giving scores by the 3-episode mark (then changing as the shows go on) starting with this season and see if it works out)
Jan 20, 2016 4:01 PM

Jun 2014
What a great episode!

I really liked how they helped Maren see that having two families and two homes isn't a bad thing. They also helped him realize that he wasn't unwanted and that he was truly loved!

His biological parents did what they thought was best for their child and being a parent who has gone through this type of situation it was really well done!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jan 20, 2016 4:07 PM

Apr 2015
I'm with the majority here. This episode (and the series as a whole so far) just isn't clicking. About three quarters of the way through and I couldn't care less whether I finish the episode or not.
Jan 20, 2016 4:19 PM

Jan 2013
Worst episode of the three.
When will the musical performances come? And hopefully it won't be episodic any more.
Jan 20, 2016 4:20 PM

Apr 2014
just shows that pa works does bad when not adapting original work

and their original can be shit at times
Jan 20, 2016 4:43 PM
May 2014
Haruta is so SLICK!! Haha cockblocking Chika from having "extra lessons."
( ͡°╭͜ʖ╮͡° )

Although not as strong as the last episode, this episode was still quite good. I can't wait as to where this story would lead to, and who will end up with who in the end.
Jan 20, 2016 6:09 PM

Jun 2013
Really wish this series would get more love.
Jan 20, 2016 6:27 PM
Jul 2012
Out of the three puzzles so far, I found this one to be the least interesting...Plus there were a few mistakes in it and they morphed the Chinese language quite a bit so it's kind of irking me.

So what Haruta said is that the code 2099 in Chinese is 'Ai ni jiu jiu'. It's actually 'ER LING jiu jiu'. Jiu jiu can actually mean long time/eternity, so that half is correct, but the other two numbers were morphed to fit the code and make enough sense to a non-Chinese speaking audience, but it still kind of bothers me.

First of all zero in Chinese is 'ling', not 'ni'. And secondly, two in Chinese is 'er' (pronounced like the English word 'are'). While 'ai' in Japanese is probably the second closest thing (the closest being just 'a') to 'er', 'ai' is a syllable in Chinese too (even if the 'a' in Chinese is more relaxed, so it sounds more like 'ay' in English). So a Chinese person seeing this code is not going to think of 'Ai ni jiu jiu' because to a Chinese speaker 'ai' and 'er' have very little similarity. They would think 'Er ling jiu jiu', which as far as I know means nothing along the lines of "We love you eternally"

In regards to this show in general, Haruta knowing literally everything is getting pretty boring. What also has been bothering me in this episode and the last is that he and Chika are barging into complete strangers' lives and fixing their extremely personal problems just so they would join their concert band. Even if they have been making positive outcomes for Narushima and Sei, you can't just do that when they never asked for help.
Jan 20, 2016 6:28 PM
Oct 2012
SakurasouBusters said:
Really wish this series would get more love.

Honestly doesn't deserve it yet. After 3 episodes it has been like a boring Hyouka. Not to say that this show cannot become something special, it just hasn't yet.

The best thing about this episode was that it appears that Haruta has an aversion to being touched (at least casually), that was a nice personality tell. I wonder if that will be developed.

But outside of that, the problem with having all the mysteries relate to people who then join the band is that it multiples the number characters, it distracts from the main characters. This show needs to decide if it is going to be a mystery show or a SOL about a band show, it really can't do both anymore. Though since we are only at episode three there is still time for the show to solidify, but the cracks are already starting to show so I am looking forward to the next episode starting to shift to address these issues. I have a feeling that they will turn towards the "Mystery of Haruta", that would be a nice development.
Jan 20, 2016 6:31 PM

Jul 2013
I liked the acting bit, but I don't like how the show is taking a dramatic turn. That's P.A. Works for you though. I think I know how this show is going to go, but we'll see.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 20, 2016 6:36 PM

Mar 2015
I enjoy this anime a lot so far being a trained musician I pick up a lot of things in the back round (not necessarily important to the plot itself). I also am a sucker for slice of life.

That being said.

Does anyone else feel like this series is being "too driven" by Haruta?
"I'm just a humble monk. I'm just trying to get by."
Jan 20, 2016 7:49 PM

Oct 2010
aikaflip said:
I really wanted to like HaruChika. I loved the art design, and I thought that having a gay lead character was great, but holy s*** this show is so boring.

Nah, Glasslip was worse. At least this show has some progression and didn't introduce ridiculous fantasy elements that don't fit the show or contribute to the story in any way.
"People die when they are killed" - Emiya Shirou
Jan 20, 2016 8:41 PM

Aug 2015
Ok, this is really pushing it: 'love' doesn't sound like 'two' in chinese AT ALL (at least with the 3 accents and dialects that I'm familiar with). Also 'you' doesn't sound like 'one' as well.

At least they got the 'nine' and 'forever' right...

AND HOW DID HARUTA KNOW ALL THIS BACKGROUND INFO?!
Anime talk, music and analysis, plus random moments of inspirations and rants | https://atmafunomena.wordpress.com/
Jan 20, 2016 8:59 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
NyanNyanNyan said:
Out of the three puzzles so far, I found this one to be the least interesting...Plus there were a few mistakes in it and they morphed the Chinese language quite a bit so it's kind of irking me.

So what Haruta said is that the code 2099 in Chinese is 'Ai ni jiu jiu'. It's actually 'ER LING jiu jiu'. Jiu jiu can actually mean long time/eternity, so that half is correct, but the other two numbers were morphed to fit the code and make enough sense to a non-Chinese speaking audience, but it still kind of bothers me.

First of all zero in Chinese is 'ling', not 'ni'. And secondly, two in Chinese is 'er' (pronounced like the English word 'are'). While 'ai' in Japanese is probably the second closest thing (the closest being just 'a') to 'er', 'ai' is a syllable in Chinese too (even if the 'a' in Chinese is more relaxed, so it sounds more like 'ay' in English). So a Chinese person seeing this code is not going to think of 'Ai ni jiu jiu' because to a Chinese speaker 'ai' and 'er' have very little similarity. They would think 'Er ling jiu jiu', which as far as I know means nothing along the lines of "We love you eternally"

In regards to this show in general, Haruta knowing literally everything is getting pretty boring. What also has been bothering me in this episode and the last is that he and Chika are barging into complete strangers' lives and fixing their extremely personal problems just so they would join their concert band. Even if they have been making positive outcomes for Narushima and Sei, you can't just do that when they never asked for help.

Hmm are you a native Mandarin speaker or no? Because if you are, you might know there are other similar numbers to characters stuff like 2099, which is one that I've never heard of, but I think was a touching reveal. Even if you are, I don't think it's far-fetched that you don't know them. I recently was talking to my friend about it and she had no idea despite living in Taiwan longer than I have.

Popular examples:
520 = 我愛您(你) --> because 'ling' sounds close to 'nin', and 'nin' is just the formal version of 'ni' people began to equate 零 as 你. I agree with 'ai' and 'er,' but that's this is a semi-common thing that people know about, and idk if there's a story behind that. 521 means the same thing.
88 = bye bye

Super long one that only a few know of:
7708801314520 = 親親你, 寶寶你, 一生一世我愛你

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture
http://www.my-new-chinese-love.com/chinese-numbers.html

------------------------------------------

I wasn't really feeling Maren, he wasn't a character that the audience could easily connect with, imo. Sure basically the same thing happened in the last episode with Narushima's introduction and her puzzle being solved within that episode, but she was more real than Maren. I don't have anything against stoic/quiet characters, I've liked plenty of characters with this archetype, but it didn't work here with Maren. And I didn't like the way he loudly thought to himself "was I thrown away" (or something like that) so many times either. It made the drama...not good. BUT I did like the way Haruta set up the reveal to Maren, that was really interesting. Certainly if they were just to talk to Maren about it, Maren wouldn't have wanted to listen. But catching him off guard like that and getting him to think about the issue worked really well. I especially liked the real password, 2099. So far, the character I like the most is Haruta. He's just so sassy.
tingyJan 20, 2016 9:06 PM
Jan 20, 2016 9:18 PM

Jan 2014
Smudy said:

NaChiKyoTsuki97 said:

These are things that's really bothering about this series for me. It's somewhat enjoyable, but when Haruta pulls these things out of his ass without any signs of him discovering the 'answer' behind it all, then that's going to turn a lot of people off from the mystery part of this series. If they bothered to give Haruta more screen time of him actually properly figuring out the damn mystery, then it might be more enjoyable. Instead, we get these ass-pulls, episode after episode.

Such a shame P.A, this could've been a rather interesting and thought provoking series.
Jan 20, 2016 9:36 PM

Jul 2012
I'm pretty sure Haruta knowing his background will be explained later. I'm guessing the teacher knows somehow. But I don't think I'll be sticking around to find out how the teacher knows. 3 episodes in, and the show hasn't really interested me. I'll probably not watch the next episode, but if I do, it'll be because of Narushima :p
Jan 20, 2016 10:18 PM
Jul 2012
tingy said:
NyanNyanNyan said:

Hmm are you a native Mandarin speaker or no? Because if you are, you might know there are other similar numbers to characters stuff like 2099, which is one that I've never heard of, but I think was a touching reveal. Even if you are, I don't think it's far-fetched that you don't know them. I recently was talking to my friend about it and she had no idea despite living in Taiwan longer than I have.

Popular examples:
520 = 我愛您(你) --> because 'ling' sounds close to 'nin', and 'nin' is just the formal version of 'ni' people began to equate 零 as 你. I agree with 'ai' and 'er,' but that's this is a semi-common thing that people know about, and idk if there's a story behind that. 521 means the same thing.
88 = bye bye

Super long one that only a few know of:
7708801314520 = 親親你, 寶寶你, 一生一世我愛你

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_in_Chinese_culture
http://www.my-new-chinese-love.com/chinese-numbers.html

I was born in Australia and I speak Shanghai dialect like 99% of the time so I'm not fluent in Mandarin. I only know basic stuff and I didn't think there'd be codes and stuff like this. But this really makes a lot more sense, thank you, and I'm sorry for the mistakes.
Jan 20, 2016 10:44 PM

Jul 2011

I was confused too until I remembered a video I watched a while ago regarding the mutilated pronunciation language of numbers in Chinese. However, I don't understand how a Japanese high school student would know about this unless he had a marked interest in the language, seeing as how even Chinese people (born outside of China) would not catch onto that.

I do like that they added a minority character to the cast (who is still Asian). And the fact that his friend claimed he was American, not Chinese (seeing as how usually American = Caucasian). Also mention of the one-child policy (now 2-child policy) and short background. Sadly, it was pretty boring and we never saw his family. Narushima had a much more interesting arc. :(

The plot is sadly bland and Haruta's knowledge level is a bit too high. I do like the little nuances, like using Wan-chan (Wan = 万, a Chinese surname), etc. but I don't know if this series can keep me interested despite the fact I really wanted to like it.
MirorinJan 20, 2016 10:47 PM
Jan 20, 2016 10:55 PM

Aug 2014
Haruto why join the music wind club when u can just be a detective or solving mystery club or something (Hyouka lol) or also a great actor. lel
(lol that boy likes to impress and over talk, also I play French horn probably hwy his my fav. character or one of the reason i watch this anime)

I'm really confused these past early episodea they seem out of music genre, every episode being solve mystery by every character which we didn't thought and expect to be like this,

and I still dont appreciate their concept, I gotta say I love Chiaka's eye, but that damn girl is SO ANNOYING

and Haruto, little kid detective version of Kaname(Lull in the sea)

So some of u read novels(no spoil) or just start watching, is this series worth watch? what do you think so far? too many mysterious and kinda blind blown from character inter-react and speak to much or is the novel better? Plus I like their concept better no offence it would have probably suit instead big eyes =c
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Jan 20, 2016 11:00 PM

Jun 2014
-BlackRock- said:
Smudy said:

NaChiKyoTsuki97 said:

These are things that's really bothering about this series for me. It's somewhat enjoyable, but when Haruta pulls these things out of his ass without any signs of him discovering the 'answer' behind it all, then that's going to turn a lot of people off from the mystery part of this series. If they bothered to give Haruta more screen time of him actually properly figuring out the damn mystery, then it might be more enjoyable. Instead, we get these ass-pulls, episode after episode.

Such a shame P.A, this could've been a rather interesting and thought provoking series.

Haruta could've possibly enquired about Maren from the others off-screen, as its known he had a long chat with the skinhead in the drama department but then again it never made itself obvious as to how he approached it. Nobody is really expecting this to be a mystery, the previous episode was too simple to pose problems in my opinion. The mysteries aren't extraordinary.

Yeah Haruta is slowly becoming like Sakurako from last season.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jan 20, 2016 11:07 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
NyanNyanNyan said:

I was born in Australia and I speak Shanghai dialect like 99% of the time so I'm not fluent in Mandarin. I only know basic stuff and I didn't think there'd be codes and stuff like this. But this really makes a lot more sense, thank you, and I'm sorry for the mistakes.

No problem :) Like I said, it's not surprising that people who speak Mandarin don't know this. The more you know I guess?

Mirorin said:

I was confused too until I remembered a video I watched a while ago regarding the mutilated pronunciation language of numbers in Chinese. However, I don't understand how a Japanese high school student would know about this unless he had a marked interest in the language, seeing as how even Chinese people (born outside of China) would not catch onto that.

Yeah I agree, Haruta knows too much. I mean I knew people who knew the oddest information and could recognize a dolphin vertebrae and the spine of a dead cactus that mostly likely drifted in the ocean (yes he was very specific about this), but given how diverse these puzzles have been (science and art with ep.2 and now Chinese), it is a little hard to believe how much Haruta knows. Maybe if he has a home library I could see it...possibly. Nevertheless, I'm choosing to not dwell on it too much, and if we (the audience) can't get over that, then this will be a gigantic pain to watch. I find the puzzles really interesting though :D
Jan 20, 2016 11:53 PM
Jul 2018
haruta is such a player, i love him <3
Jan 21, 2016 2:24 AM

Jan 2011
FireEmblemIke24 said:
-BlackRock- said:

Haruta could've possibly enquired about Maren from the others off-screen, as its known he had a long chat with the skinhead in the drama department but then again it never made itself obvious as to how he approached it. Nobody is really expecting this to be a mystery, the previous episode was too simple to pose problems in my opinion. The mysteries aren't extraordinary.

Yeah Haruta is slowly becoming like Sakurako from last season.

really want to like this but with how they are setting up Haruta i can't give him a pass just like i didn't give Sakurako one it's even less likely of a case here because hes what a first year?

looks like were just gonna have to accept that he knows everything
Jan 21, 2016 2:41 AM

Jul 2013
If there only were more scenes where they actually do music club activities it would be better. It's like they are doing everything except that. This wasn't really a mystery this episode, more like everybody teaming up to help Maren, but it was interesting nonetheless.
Also, am I the only one here who liked Sakurako-san from the last season?
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jan 21, 2016 3:26 AM

Jan 2015
This series becoming more & more boring....Glasslip clone ?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Can i ask something....

yukiyamayui - Nov 16, 2023

0 by yukiyamayui »»
Nov 16, 2023 1:04 AM

Poll: » Haruchika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2016

429 by Nakano_Nin0 »»
Sep 16, 2022 6:05 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2016

124 by Assassin2112 »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:56 PM

» Why is HaruChika's rating so low

ChrisAMV - Mar 5, 2016

41 by PowerMinerYT »»
Jun 15, 2022 3:06 AM

Poll: » HaruChika: Haruta to Chika wa Seishun Suru Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2016

86 by luminality »»
Oct 1, 2021 11:06 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.