Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 18, 2014 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, the feels....

Great start for the episode and it captured the essence of Mushishi yet again. Really liked how it was handled as life and death is shown in that mystical way. I'm glad this show is back on.
Oct 18, 2014 11:42 AM

Oct 2012
Ginko, you shouldn't break that egg :(
Great first episode, as always.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Oct 18, 2014 11:44 AM

Sep 2012
BRILLIANT episode but god damn did it hurt my feelings.
Oh god who are you people?
Oct 18, 2014 11:47 AM

Aug 2013
Nice start (it feels almost like very first series). I Hope that it will be better than Zoku Shou Season 1.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Oct 18, 2014 11:48 AM

Jul 2010
A young Ginko and the reason he is always chewing on something.

It was nice to see Ginko overcoming his urge for greater power.
Having broken the egg and guided back by the natural order.

A fabulous episode! The consequence :(
Oct 18, 2014 11:57 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Magnificent Mushishi returns and first episode was great; concentrating on one of kid Ginko's story.

Mushi Trivia

Suguro was a pretty nice guy; took care of Ginko despite knowing he's a natural attractor of Mushi, which can cause some good deal of troubles.

Kid Ginko was a bit naive to think he can make the power of the glowing egg his own. But at the same time, he did realize it was an absurd thought.

Loved the scene with him giving the cracked egg in the hands of the Natural Order and how it allowed Ginko to return without any issue.

Can't blame Suguro for being upset at Ginko but his last words to him was great. Everybody belongs somewhere.

Great start! Ending OSTs was just as marvelous as ever!

Oct 18, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2011
How Lovely. I cried even though I wasn't expecting the 1st episode to hit me in the feels so hard.

And poor Ginko. At least he knows that he belongs in the world.
Oct 18, 2014 12:10 PM

Apr 2010
Holy feels this show never ceases to amaze me! Such a majestic comeback! T__T

Perfect/10
Oct 18, 2014 12:13 PM

Aug 2013
i already know this anime gets another 10
Oct 18, 2014 12:35 PM

Dec 2012
How the fuck will i live once this show is over
Oct 18, 2014 12:44 PM

Apr 2012
Welcome back old friend, although this time Ginko your absence has been much shorter. A very good episode where we see the younger Ginko again. I wonder how much chaos he has caused before he become the wiser but still wonderfully curious senpai we know and love now.
Oct 18, 2014 12:48 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Maybe one day this show will start to get interesting... maybe

..time is running out though >.>
Oct 18, 2014 12:50 PM

Jan 2009
This is awesome, as always. Ginko is amazing.
Oct 18, 2014 1:05 PM

Aug 2010
I think that was one of my top3 eps of the series. So damn beautiful!!

Miyuki's VAing was amazing! Totally loved how she depicted Ginko's emotions so much.

Welcome back Mushishi >.<!!
Oct 18, 2014 1:13 PM

Dec 2012
There are tears, yet, there is so much redemption in the world, seen and unseen.

This anime is one of the most beautiful series I've seen in my life, and it's not even trying.

Tadaima :)
Oct 18, 2014 1:19 PM
Aug 2011
HaXXspetten said:

not enough Ginko onii-chan fapping to his imoutos for you?
Oct 18, 2014 1:20 PM
Mar 2013
I forgot how atmospheric and relaxing mushishi is

a great start to the new series. very moving and melancholic
Oct 18, 2014 1:30 PM

Oct 2013
Here it is at last, the best anime of the season!!!
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Oct 18, 2014 1:38 PM

Nov 2013
The contrast between his young and old self is phenomenal. Instead of the ever-wise mushishi, we have someone who comes across as one of the features characters we are used to seeing every episode. Frightened, isolated in their agony, unsure of their place in the world and haunted by their past. Ginko's younger self almost personifies the qualities that are often showcased in this series. It's a hopeful end to the episode knowing his future, yet a heartbreaking one in the present time.

I like Ginko's feminine younger voice too, very odd hearing it when I'm pretty used to his deep-almost hypnotic one he has in the future.

I think Mushishi is the only series I've ever watched which used absence of sound as a weapon almost, they really play their cards right with it. Good to have this back, the season is safe with Mushishi airing c:

Perfect episode to reboot the feel of the series with.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 18, 2014 1:39 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
parfaited said:
HaXXspetten said:

not enough Ginko onii-chan fapping to his imoutos for you?
that would be an interesting plot twist
Oct 18, 2014 1:40 PM
Oct 2008
... Beautiful as always
Oct 18, 2014 1:41 PM

Feb 2014
Now that was just beautiful - nice to have Mushishi back. It's a shame that there isn't much more to adapt, but I'll still enjoy the season to its fullest (especially since I know the other chapters that are going to be animated). Next week is chapter 48, one that I actually liked a lot.
Oct 18, 2014 1:47 PM
Jul 2014
What I love about mushishi is that it manages to deliver powerful messages in a mysterious/calm essence. Beautiful. Missed this.
Next episode title sounds interesting.
Oct 18, 2014 2:48 PM

Jan 2008
This was one of the best episodes in the entire series. Easily. Feel sorry for young Ginko being used by other Mushishi as bait, not having a place he belongs. Makes me wish/hope to see how he meets Adashino-sensei.
Oct 18, 2014 2:49 PM

Jul 2013
That egg would have made a Godly omelette

At last Mushishi is back, but most likely for the last time. You can't know when these stories of Ginko's past will pop-up, however they are always entertaining. Suguro's speech in the end was kinda bittersweet
Oct 18, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2012
So...Ginko just got told he deserves to live....by life itself. O.O
Oct 18, 2014 4:04 PM

Mar 2009
Best anime is here. Saving the best for last. The Fall season is now complete.

Great start to the season, and as Vexper so eloquently put it, we got to see a different side of Ginko in this episode: frightened and confused like all the other characters we've come to know. No wonder Ginko is so wise.

Definitely felt bad for Ginko at the end, but at least Suguro gave him some reassuring words before he left.

Also, the mountain god reminded me of the great forest spirit from Princess Mononoke.
Oct 18, 2014 4:11 PM

Dec 2013
Meh, an episode set in the past. I prefer when Ginko meets people and solves their cases. Still an AoS probably. I hope it's full 12 episodes.
Oct 18, 2014 4:13 PM

Feb 2014
Kyouraku-san said:
Meh, an episode set in the past. I prefer when Ginko meets people and solves their cases. Still an AoS probably. I hope it's full 12 episodes.

It's probably going to be 10 episodes and one special like the last cour, due to 12 chapters being left, with 2 of those 12 chapters being a two-parter. They've made a special out of all the previous two-parters as well (and for Mushishi, this really does work the best), so I can imagine it'll be like that again.
Oct 18, 2014 4:18 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
It's always so hard to find something insightful to say because everything I thought about while watching the episode has already been said here :) My main thought was that we can now how well Ginko can understand many of those that he had came across in his travels. The one I remember most of the lady who attracts the rain mushi. Ginko's had his fair share of trouble too. But it was a good experience for him, that the natural order told him to go back. It was also good that he met Suguro, because he told Ginko that he has a place in the world too.
Mormegil said:
Also, the mountain god reminded me of the great forest spirit from Princess Mononoke.

Same here!
Oct 18, 2014 4:19 PM

Apr 2013
So good... I just got done watching the special (basically episode 11-12) and this, yet I still want more.

For a moment I was frightened Ginko would actually purposefully destroy the egg, I'm glad he didn't. Although it's understandable to know why he would have, the Ginko we all got too know and love is far too kind for that.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Oct 18, 2014 4:21 PM

Aug 2013
So worth the wait.
Oct 18, 2014 5:03 PM

Apr 2008
Quite the strong start. Still beautiful as always! :)
Oct 18, 2014 5:58 PM

Jun 2014
Ahh nothing like a refreshing Mushishi after a nice bath.
Let’s say you drink too much strawberry milk, and have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. You don’t want to get up, but the urge to urinate is just too strong! You run to the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and let loose! You think that all your life has led to this moment! YOU'RE STILL IN BED! That feeling of lukewarm wetness spreads! But you can’t stop! THAT’S THE TRUTH OF THE STRAWBERRY MILK! DO YOU GET IT? ~ Gintoki
An unforeseen situation... An unexpected turn of events... In the face of those, you too will face your true self. — Makishima Shougo
Oct 18, 2014 6:23 PM

Oct 2008
Wow. Just wow. This is surely one of the best Mushishi episodes. Nagahama Hiroshi is absolutely on fire. Such beautiful imagery, perfect pacing, everything.
This is the best anime ever made.
Oct 18, 2014 6:32 PM

Jan 2013
Wonderful episode. It shows us that Ginko's just a human and also makes mistakes. But I'm glad that he wanted to put it back.

Oct 18, 2014 7:22 PM

Jul 2010
This episode was really really interesting, we finally see some more of Ginko's backstory which is quite revelating since we see Ginko in a more weak and human way, he wished for power just like most of people.

At first I thought Sawashiro Miyuki wasn't really suited for young Ginko but I guess I got used to it already. Although Nakano Yuto in my opinion is just unbeatable.

I wonder if we'll ever see the man who helped Ginko again, someday will he forgive Ginko? Beautiful stuff as always anyway, thanks god natural order there is Mushishi.

HaXXspetten said:

Enough internet for today.
Oct 18, 2014 9:20 PM

Oct 2013
Maerow said:
So the best show of the season is finally here.

5/5, as expected from Mushishi.
Oct 18, 2014 10:43 PM

Aug 2014
Always love when they delve into Ginko's backstory. Both this and the episode that explained his appearance and his name are probably my two favorites. There was a serious feeling of tension after he found the egg and dropped it that so many shows try to bring about but Mushishi does effortlessly. Perfect start for this season.
Oct 18, 2014 10:44 PM

May 2013
Only show where I'll give it a 10 before watching. Excellent episode.
Oct 19, 2014 12:04 AM

Jul 2011
HaXXspetten said:

Whaaat. I thought this was seriously the most captivating episode I remember. o.o

Usually the narration and speech irritate me with it's slow-ass dialogue, slow-mo movements and sleep music, but dang I loved this episode.
Especially when he was handling the egg, I just kept thinking about what was going to happen, since he brought about disaster.

Great start to the new season. Hoping it will keep up like this, then it will really captivate me.
Oct 19, 2014 1:34 AM

Jun 2014
Masterpiece , damn feel train no doubt best start of the season
Oct 19, 2014 2:55 AM

Apr 2008
To be noted: OP still "Shiver by Lucy Rose" and while still upholding the tradition of Mushishi Ending Themes corresponding to the episode's title, This weeks ED is "Kusa no Shitone by Toshio Masuda".
Oct 19, 2014 3:23 AM

May 2012
It's back, woohooo (~゚∀゚)~

What a great start. I always enjoy Ginko's backstory. Seeing how he was before he's dealt with his fate is a nice diversity (same with hearing him with other voice).
Oct 19, 2014 4:26 AM

Aug 2013
I never really thought about Ginko's life when he was a kid so learning he had a tough life with a lot of mushi-shi exploiting him is just sad :/
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 19, 2014 6:45 AM

Aug 2008
Ahh, Fall 2014 officially started for real.

Beautiful episode, I'm glad they decided to start the new season with Ginko's past.
Oct 19, 2014 7:52 AM

Feb 2014
Oh God, how I waited for this moment to come. I don't think you can say anything bad about this, and there's no need to say how good Mushishi is, so I'll leave it at that.
Oct 19, 2014 9:19 AM

Mar 2012
Confirmed as the best episode of Mushishi i`ve ever watched.

Young Ginko voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro is alright though.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Oct 19, 2014 12:10 PM

Sep 2008
Stark700 said:

Great start for the episode and it captured the essence of Mushishi yet again. Really liked how it was handled as life and death is shown in that mystical way. I'm glad this show is back on.

chakracat said:
BRILLIANT episode but god damn did it hurt my feelings.
FatefulLove said:

It was nice to see Ginko overcoming his urge for greater power.
Having broken the egg and guided back by the natural order.

A fabulous episode! The consequence :(

Kishi-chan said:
How Lovely. I cried even though I wasn't expecting the 1st episode to hit me in the feels so hard.

And poor Ginko. At least he knows that he belongs in the world.
Phemt said:
Holy feels this show never ceases to amaze me! Such a majestic comeback! T__T

Perfect/10
SeTzu said:
i already know this anime gets another 10
Japman said:
How the fuck will i live once this show is over
zellami said:
There are tears, yet, there is so much redemption in the world, seen and unseen.

This anime is one of the most beautiful series I've seen in my life, and it's not even trying.

Tadaima :)
darkreaver94 said:
Amazing start of the series. Young Ginko looks exactly the same as his older self. That intense moment when he dropped that egg. Live! That seems to be the message that he received before he returned back to the real world. Easily the best anime of the season.

BigSimo said:
Wow. Just wow. This is surely one of the best Mushishi episodes. Nagahama Hiroshi is absolutely on fire. Such beautiful imagery, perfect pacing, everything.
This is the best anime ever made.
Vexper said:
The contrast between his young and old self is phenomenal. Instead of the ever-wise mushishi, we have someone who comes across as one of the features characters we are used to seeing every episode. Frightened, isolated in their agony, unsure of their place in the world and haunted by their past. Ginko's younger self almost personifies the qualities that are often showcased in this series. It's a hopeful end to the episode knowing his future, yet a heartbreaking one in the present time.

Perfect episode to reboot the feel of the series with.

You guys pretty much summed up my feelings. This ep was a fucking masterpiece. Heck, the whole series is a masterpiece. I don't want it to end.
eyerokOct 19, 2014 12:14 PM
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 19, 2014 12:20 PM

Feb 2013
MiniMoose10 said:
Only show where I'll give it a 10 before watching. Excellent episode.

Everytime I watch Mushi-shi I remember how every other anime is meaningless. Enjoy this last ride of the show guys! We are finally getting the complete adaptation of the manga we've all craved for. :)
TheSusurrousOct 19, 2014 12:24 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

169 by Dragona_8002 »»
Apr 14, 3:39 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 13, 2014

113 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 30, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

139 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2014

86 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 26, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 8, 2014

72 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 25, 10:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.