Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 17, 2017 6:44 AM

Jul 2015
Well... this has taken quite an interesting turn of events... Lots of strange things happening, questions that need answers, and more reasons for me to love this anime. But we've only got one episode left, wonder how this is all going to end now, there isn't anything here to really give off that finale feel as of yet.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Dec 17, 2017 6:50 AM

Sep 2011
Aaaaaaahhh I wish this was 2 cour!! After this episode, it's going to be tough to end this in a good place, and I'm not sure I can wait as long as it will probably take to get a season 2, if it even gets one :( The poll that @Zelev posted is encouraging though, and this absolutely deserves another season.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 17, 2017 8:55 AM
Aug 2017
This episode was something. Had some good and emotional moments. Really liked the background music when the dog kind of thing found peace.

what are the Lunarians exactly ? Humans ?
Dec 17, 2017 12:46 PM

Mar 2013
The_viewer said:
what are the Lunarians exactly ? Humans ?
If you believe the slug, they're the soul after mankind split in three.
Dec 17, 2017 12:59 PM
Nov 2017
The_viewer said:
what are the Lunarians exactly ?
Senselessly impatient.
Dec 17, 2017 1:22 PM

Jun 2015
Niello said:

But if it gets a second season I don't see the point? And to your post above, Yuri on Ice is an anime original, they didn't even plan for a second season before the show blew up.
Houseki no Kuni is an on going story. It doesn't make sense to force the thread to come together when it's not ready. What's even the point of trying to do that and risk the flow if the second season comes out? It's a needless limitation that doesn't dot he show any good. Even if you look at western series that's not necessarily a thing. No one's complaining that Game of Thrones left on a cliff hanger each season do they? It makes way more sense to view it as a part 1.

I don't think so, how can you know that it will have second season? If you plan a story that leaves the plot pending and don't take another season, the viewer will be forced to go to the original material.
If a studio/production/director decided adapt something unfinished, it should be able to give a closure even at the arc, so that if it isn't popular it doesn't feel like something incomplete.
If a series remains unfinished, Does that make her bad? No, but it does not make it better

About Yuri on Ice, was just one example in which even in the interviews the author denied that the series had romantic implications, even she said that the rings were an idea that that occurred to her because many skaters use matching objects with coachs. And that seemed funny to me XD

HxHexa said:

The problem with this manga is that it seems everything has been planned by the author in the beginning, and everything is happening continuously. At this point in the anime, there's literally no way to end it satisfyingly.
On the other hand, if they plan to try to end everything satisfyingly from the start, it would do a disservice to the manga since as I said before, everything has been planned by the author. If the anime staffs want it to end satisfyingly, they would have to skip a lot of parts and foreshadows. As of now, nothing has been cut from the manga.

I understand it and it's a reason because this show is soo good, but that doesn't change it be an incomplete product.
It is one of the ills of anime and, although it is the usual, I can't agree whit it.
For example, Gunslinger Girl has an open ending, but extremely poetic that allows you to say "that's what this series is about" and if it had a continuation it would not feel out of place, it would only strengthen what was already shown (although the continuation was terrible) .

Zeando said:

Agree the anime has to have a proper ending. While with other shounens it's easier to have a clear cut, since they are organized by story arcs, with this one it could be harder to have an as good ending, but we'll see.

Hopefully, in reality it still has the option of has a nice ending, although not conclusive.
Dec 17, 2017 1:57 PM
Oct 2017
@ALOC That's because you're so dead set that it won't have a second season. Like I said, when it gets a second season your complaints won't really be complaints at all. I'm telling you right now. Houseki no Kuni doesn't have a plot thread that can comes together half way through. The anime will be ruined if it tries to force closure on those because that's not the kind of story it's telling. You are telling it to dumb some important plot spoilers that are supposed to be in the next season on to the first season's last episode without a proper build up. If it's not getting season 2, you're asking for half-assed closure that won't leave you satisfied and won't make sense. If it gets season 2 you're looking at a season 2 that has already got some of its trump cards revealed and it won't be as good.

The best solution is just to let it build itself for a second season. We'll get a foot hold on the current relationship between Phos and Cinnabar, and Phos reflection on himself. The thing with Padparadscha will be done. If you are hoping to know what the thing is with sensei and lunarian then you're not going to get it, and you're not supposed to.
NielloDec 17, 2017 2:09 PM
Dec 17, 2017 2:11 PM

Sep 2017
Dia need more screentime!
Sensei is... maybe robot? God? Vampire? I don't know, but maybe he is a Jesus-kun?
1 episde left, but i don't wanna read manga! I need more seasons, like my hero academia!
I'm gay.
Dec 17, 2017 2:44 PM

Oct 2017
The darkness I was promised turned out to be cute moon puppies.

Also, not a shoujo, but merch is cute accessories.

None the less, it’s a solid 7. 8 is too far for not having a conclusive plot or ending.
Dec 17, 2017 8:53 PM
Oct 2017
Apple_BS said:
I don't actually understand this ep... few transition was done so suddenly or maybe Im just tired... Rewatching tomorrow

One thing for sure, Phos doesn't believe the Sensei unconditionally anymore, which I think is a good thing.

But with only one episode left, I don't see it would be able to resolve... Just hope it would get season 2

i hope so too S2 has to come this show is good
Dec 17, 2017 8:55 PM
Oct 2017
So what happened to the dog? did it die?
Dec 17, 2017 8:58 PM
Oct 2017
RebelPanda said:
Such a funny episode. I'm glad that the giant Lunarian turned out to be a dog, but Sensei's dog...? That threw me off a bit, I wasn't expecting Sensei to have connections to the Lunarians. This episode felt a bit like Nier;Automata in how the enemies are cute and the moral uncertainty.

Phos finally said that they're going to the moon!! I just want them to get Antartcite back, but they need to find out what Sensei's connection is to the Lunarians before they fully trust him.
Sensei is hiding something and i want to know
Dec 17, 2017 10:17 PM

Jun 2015
@Niello Dead set? not at all, but it is normal to think that, most animes don't get second season.
I remember 2 examples, 1. Kuragehime; excellent but reached the end ... really doesn't have one, never had second season, it feels like an unfinished story, because it is. Conclusion: forgettable series.
2. Nodame Cantabille had a beautiful first season with an end, but then it continues. The first season can be seen on its own, because it is well planned for its duration. Conclusion: Great first season, best series.
HNK has a clear evolution of Phos (which I would call antidevelopment) and the last episode could give a close to that transition, because the title is suggestive.
I just think that this episode (except for Phos doubt) isn't the best precursor of an end and if for any reason the anime doesn't continue and I would ask myself "why didn't they wait to adapt this series better?" I already said what I think about the duration of the animes forced by the market, even so it wouldn't be an excuse.I did not want to use them as an example, but even superhero movies manage limited times better than almost any anime.
Why do I complain about something so insignificant? because I really love this series, it is one of my favorites of the year and probably of life, but those details down its excellence a little.
We will see how it ends and, even if it doesn't have a good closing, I hope follow the trend of the last popular 3D anime that has had a second season as KOS, Ajin, BBK and Kemono Friends.
Dec 18, 2017 5:12 AM
Nov 2017
Rodric7202847 said:
So what happened to the dog? did it die?

transgression, go to heaven or reincarnate
Dec 18, 2017 12:04 PM

Sep 2013
Sensei knows about the doggo shiro and the lunarians and everyone knows but keeps to themselves.
Looks like shiro died or something, makes sense since they're the soul part of humans.
Padparadscha revived by rutile with pho's help for now, the rubies are used like batteries.
Dec 18, 2017 12:53 PM
Nov 2017
So, uh, dumb question: if Phos could patch herself up by "cutting her hair", what is Padparaditz' problem?
Dec 18, 2017 1:03 PM

Jun 2017
Areku2021 said:
So, uh, dumb question: if Phos could patch herself up by "cutting her hair", what is Padparaditz' problem?

Their hair, I've read, doesn't have many inclusions. So the more hair you use to patch the body, the more powerful the inclusions have to be in the rest of the body to fill the patches.

Phos always had powerful inclusions, but a weak body. So she could patch all sorts of foreign substances and use her hair without too much issue. It also helped that she didn't have to use *much* hair to do her repairs.

But Pad is missing a lot more, so she could use all that hair to repair the holes in her torso, but it wouldn't solve the issue of her inclusions being weak and not being able to adjust to the new, inclusion-less, substance.

On top of that, the patching seems to work on her for a little while, but her inclusions always eventually reject it and she falls back asleep. Rutile has had to try numerous different substances over the years because Pad's inclusions seem to be less and less receptive to patches as time goes on. So patching in the hair would potentially work about as well as anything else, but probably only temporarily.

So Phos won the evolutionary lottery and got highly adaptable inclusions while the much harder and stronger Pad lost the lottery and got really weak inclusions.
Dec 19, 2017 2:34 AM
Sep 2016
Man no matter how I think about it I feel the season it going to end kinda awkwardly. But it did a good job of getting lots more people interested in the series despite most people having negative opinions of 3D(at least in the west). I really like how much Phos's eyes have changed in the anime. He looks so distrusting it's chilling in that scene with Sensei.
Dec 19, 2017 7:27 AM

Oct 2008
I really thought there would be some epic showdown with a angry rampaging Bort against that Lunarian! But what do we see next...such cure adorable fluffy puppy like creatures! LOLZ!
If they are divided equally, it should be 128 not 108...right?
Looks like everyone knew Sensei has some distinct relationship with the Lunarians but it seems like Phos is the only one who wants to know the truth...even Cinnabar knows...
We have another gem here named Padparadscha...who won't wake-up and at least Phos didn't forget him. And 2nd strongest after Bort and same age as Yellow!
Phos told Rutile that there's some Ruby fragments can be found on a shore and finally he woke-up just like that?
4/5.

Dec 19, 2017 2:06 PM
May 2010
matias067 said:
I really thought there would be some epic showdown with a angry rampaging Bort against that Lunarian! But what do we see next...such cure adorable fluffy puppy like creatures! LOLZ!
If they are divided equally, it should be 128 not 108...right?
Looks like everyone knew Sensei has some distinct relationship with the Lunarians but it seems like Phos is the only one who wants to know the truth...even Cinnabar knows...
We have another gem here named Padparadscha...who won't wake-up and at least Phos didn't forget him. And 2nd strongest after Bort and same age as Yellow!
Phos told Rutile that there's some Ruby fragments can be found on a shore and finally he woke-up just like that?
4/5.

the lunarian was divided into 108 pieces because of its significance in buddhism and the simbolism of the show, its true that if one would divide him perfectly it would be 128 parts but it could also not be divided perfectly and thus it wouldn be strange to have 108 in total.
here is the wiki page for the significance of 108 in religions and other characteristics : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(number)
Dec 20, 2017 11:10 AM
Sep 2011
What chapters of the manga did they adapt in this episode?
Dec 20, 2017 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Loving how Phos developing and nice to see another unpredictibility outcome from this episode.
Also so many hidden mysteries and suspense unraveled on this episode.. But to think this show gonna end somewhat unfinished is so ;-; I do hope it could put up somewhat finished conclusion.. because past 5 to 6 episodes were so masterfully done!

Dec 20, 2017 2:37 PM

Mar 2016
Meryjein said:
What chapters of the manga did they adapt in this episode?

If you wanted to start reading the manga from this episode on, you would pick up about halfway through chapter 29
Dec 22, 2017 12:48 AM

Oct 2015
Nice, knew sensei was keeping something a secret hope we'd atleast get it next episode. This show kinda reminds me of Qualidea Code but 1000x better.
Dec 23, 2017 7:10 PM

Jan 2011
Of course there were 108 puppies.
Dec 23, 2017 8:43 PM

Nov 2007
I always had a bit of doubt since the earlier episodes but now I cannot seem to trust Sensei anymore. And I feel Phos will rebel against him or his commands at some point. Phos just had too much character development after the capture of Antarcticite.

I also want to know about the Gem that just awoke.

With just one episode to go this will be an incredible let down if this anime doesn't get a sequel.

Every episode since episode 3 has been a 5/5 for me. That's quite incredible!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 24, 2017 9:28 PM

Apr 2015
I took a Religious Symbolism class last semester, I should be able to read a lot out of HnK...I can't really. I'm too stupid

Strange cos this was a buildup but was great nonetheless
Dec 27, 2017 2:04 AM
Sep 2015
Trypophobia getting worse as episodes go by.
Paparadscha's body though ugh.
One episode left!
Dec 29, 2017 2:46 PM

Jan 2017
Well, as expected. Sensei is dubious, i had foreseen this long ago so no surprise there. What really surprise thou, was the fact that they all kinda knew but has somehow become some sort of tacit or unspoken agreement to complete avoid the subject.

So now, i am just hoping for Phos and Cinna to rebel.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 30, 2017 2:02 PM

Feb 2013
LOL puppies.
Way to diffuse a tense situation (one of this anime's bad habits).

The "master" is a lunarian? I've kind of wondered since the beginning as well but figured that would be answered eventually if it was of any importance.
Jan 1, 2018 6:29 PM

Jan 2013
So many mysteries left. Turning into a dog seems hard to explain.
Jan 1, 2018 7:02 PM

Jun 2017
RediceRyan said:
So many mysteries left. Turning into a dog seems hard to explain.

The lunarians also warped the slug people into derpy forms, so it's not out of the realm of possibility they have some way to alter other lifeforms.
Jan 4, 2018 8:33 AM

Apr 2015
"This is what happens when Alex sees Lunarians." Well, they're not useful in battle...

And then the Lunarians turned into little dogs. They can do some crazy shit.

Okay, so Sensei is weirdly buddy-buddy with this Lunarian...dog...thing. Though who can blame him? It looks nice and fluffy. :3

"I wanted to see the little fluffy ones and floof them up!" Oh, Dia. Even after one of them tried to kill/capture you...
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 13, 2018 11:28 PM

Jan 2009
that Buddhist Sensei really have relationship with the Lunarians and everything is a secret about it

they all know he is holding secrets but Phos is different she wants to find out the truth
Feb 23, 2018 5:34 AM
Nov 2015
ALOC said:
Probably the weakest episode, I like puppies and Phos's doubt in sensei, but it doesn't convince me. One episode to the end, it is hard to believe that they give a decent conclusion.

It will not. The manga is ongoing. I doubt the finale will be as good as ep 10. If anything ep 12 will be some cliffhanger into S2, showing Phos going somewhere new, maybe to the moon.
Feb 23, 2018 11:24 PM

Jun 2015
Sean_Nessman said:

It will not. The manga is ongoing. I doubt the finale will be as good as ep 10. If anything ep 12 will be some cliffhanger into S2, showing Phos going somewhere new, maybe to the moon.

I know, once the series was over I read the whole manga and now I'm waiting for the next episode.
Anyway, the end was not bad but it wasn't great either. They skipped several episodes, omitting a lot of content to reach a point that connects to the start (cinnabar).
Feb 27, 2018 4:11 AM

Mar 2015
I really want to meet more of the gems, they're all so interesting

And the bit when the Lunarian dog evaporated was so touching :(
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 4, 2018 2:51 PM

May 2012
Another really interesting episode, really do wonder what the last episode will offer!
Mar 13, 2018 9:09 PM

Aug 2015
Those puppies were so unexpected, and so cute too!
Mar 16, 2018 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
Eh, it's a giant dog... Well alright :'D As expected, Sensei is hiding things. I wonder if he is even a gem at all... though their (his?) name implies it somewhat.

I guess the final episode will be about Phos going to the moon willingly or something along that.
Mar 27, 2018 12:01 AM

Dec 2012
Alex?
Red Alex?
They have a pest problem now.
107 dalmations.
Now they joined as one.
Sensei is awake.
WTF!
Shiro?
Dat awakening.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
May 6, 2018 11:33 PM
Jul 2018
Wow... those puppies were so cute. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a cuter creature in an anime.

Why TF do they not have more screentime!?
Dec 13, 2018 5:12 PM

May 2013
LOL @ Aoi Alex's reaction to the stuffed pup Lunarians hahhaha xD
Akai Alex was BAD.ASS.AF. I love crazy characters that love to slice and dice lololol

Yeyeyeyyyyy~ New character *O* I wanna see her personality. She looks STUNNING. And pls give her a nickname like how Antarcticite is called Antarc lol. I might just call her Ruby if she doesn't have a shortened name

Phos wanting to talk to the Lunarians directly was just-- hnnnggghhhhh, YES, GURL. YOU GO TELL EM DIRECTLY. GO FIND OUT THAT TRUTH.
Looking at how hard Rutile worked to awaken Ruby makes me reminds me of how amazing Phos' body is to be able to adapt to all these different materials. I've thought it before when she got her legs and then again when she had new arms, but man. It's something not all the gems can do. The microorganisms in her must be very easygoing lol
Jan 28, 2019 12:20 PM
Apr 2018
Man, too many mysteries. And this manga is still ongoing. I shouldn't have started this series.

Kongo looked suspicious from the start but now it seems there is more behind him.
Feb 8, 2019 4:48 AM

Nov 2010
I wonder if Sensei is some kind of Lunarian too. I really hope he doesn't end up betraying them or turn to evil, though I guess i'd be up to some kind of moral ambiguity and shadiness here.

There is only 1 ep left, i wonder how they will end this one especially when manga is still ongoing(?). Hopefully they will end the season strong nevertheless, maybe add another season eventually.
Aug 31, 2019 3:45 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Talk about getting even more confusing... pretty touching scene at the end, but more than ever are the Lunarians really the villains here?
Nov 30, 2019 8:00 AM

Jan 2011
"Everyone have to cooperate with Bort at least"
Stop ntring Diamond even more than this!
There is like 2 weeks delay in my recent reading list
I randomly bought discount/second hand manga with cute/mysterious cover.

Use Personal Blacklist extension in Chrome if you just want to Google for a series synopsis, without google slapping MAL score in it.
3/1
Feb 28, 2020 7:00 AM

Apr 2015
can't believe the series is coming to an end next episode
Jan 5, 2021 6:23 PM

May 2020
beautiful episode, I love it
Mar 13, 2021 3:23 AM

Feb 2020
Sensei's dog? That was an unexpected twist. He's clearly hiding something.

SerafosJan 13, 5:08 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2017

105 by Asnwert123 »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

319 by mtsRhea »»
Sep 9, 12:12 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

112 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

149 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

111 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 3:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.