Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 14, 2017 5:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh I like this Diamond girl. The episode focused more on her (I feel like this series will focus on each of these different characters by their variant)

Bort is such a badass.
From this episode, I'm not sure I like Phos that much. The show makes her look weak but I hope that changes soon.

Oct 14, 2017 12:27 PM

Aug 2013
Okay so I think I'm on board with this series now. I like how each gem has different personalities and have their own complexities. Each being their own person, it seems that they all have their own worries or insecurities which was definitely apparent with Diamond. Despite being in the highest class, Dia still feels inferior when it comes to Bort and wants to desperately change. Definitely signs of internal conflict there. Bort is a badass who reminds me of A2 from NieR:Automata and...RIP Phos? Not the goofball fam. Looks like things are gonna go down next week. 4/5
Don't believe the hype.
Oct 14, 2017 12:34 PM
Dec 2015
Stark700 said:

From this episode, I'm not sure I like Phos that much. The show makes her look weak but I hope that changes soon.

I wouldn't say soon, but she will definitely go through a lot of changes as the story progresses.

It seems like they are sticking to the 2 chapters per episode formula which seems to work so far.

Jade hitting Sensei made me laugh harder than I thought.
Oct 14, 2017 12:40 PM

Feb 2014
That was absolutely beautiful, even more than the first episode. Especially the last scenes with the snail. Interesting so far. Phos will be fine!
Oct 14, 2017 12:41 PM

Oct 2008
So if Bort didn't save Diamond during the first encounter, would Dia have just have "died" (i.e. been abducted)? Smelling a character developement moment for those two where Bort will have to rely on Dia to win.

The Slug is even strong enough to harm Bort. The Moon buddhas getting more and more dangerous.

Poor Phos getting eroded away.
Oct 14, 2017 12:46 PM

Jul 2015
Dia is a beautiful cinnamon roll.

Damn that last part, it caught me pretty off guard, I need to see what happens next.
Oct 14, 2017 12:52 PM
Oct 2017
Apsidelos said:
Stark700 said:

I wouldn't say soon, but she will definitely go through a lot of changes as the story progresses.

I'm pretty sure Stark already read the manga.

Lymus said:
Smelling a character developement moment for those two where Bort will have to rely on Dia to win.

Nah, the story's not that cliché with how it develops.
Oct 14, 2017 12:55 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Holy shit, this was so much better than episode 1 which was pretty decent already!

Bort and Dia's relationship is interesting, what Dia was implying at one point was pretty heavy but honest from her.

Once again, the CGI is fantastic, super expressive and the hair, omg.

Those last few minutes were insane, just saying O_O
Oct 14, 2017 12:56 PM

Feb 2011
This episode makes me wonder how the story would have been if it were humans instead of immortal gems, this episode:
-one character loses an arm
-one other character's whole body is melted in acid
Rip humans if they had been there.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Oct 14, 2017 1:08 PM

Oct 2014
Really good episode, they've done a great job of establishing the hardness dynamic and clarified its impact on the main character. Speaking of the main character, how is Phos going to be put back together now that they've been dissolved??!

Pray 4 Phos
Oct 14, 2017 1:19 PM

Jun 2015
Pretty good episode. Diamond may be the strongest, but Dia has to rely more on Bort and wants to get stronger. That ending thought. Phos got dissolved by giant snail. I'm curious what's going to happen next.
Oct 14, 2017 1:26 PM

Sep 2013
Ending manga spoiler. :)
Oct 14, 2017 1:38 PM
Oct 2017
WieczornyKac said:
Ending manga spoiler. :)

That's not really a spoiler. It's not what you think it is.

Oct 14, 2017 2:04 PM
May 2015
After everyone saw the latest episode. =) (ps Diamond will give everyone a hug)
Oct 14, 2017 4:46 PM

Dec 2016
Even as a gem it hurts being put in a Boston Crab.

Diamon was pretty cool, not sure what is fully going on with her and that injury.

bort is very strong and cool to watch in battle.

A giant snail that can melt them all away, quite the tough situation they are all in.

I wonder if Cinnabar will actually be the one to save Phos.
Oct 14, 2017 5:08 PM
Oct 2017
LukesYGOonYT said:

Diamon was pretty cool, not sure what is fully going on with her and that injury.

It was explained pretty clearly. Dia was trying out new fighting technique that let him reflect the projectile back to the moon people, but this put a strain on his arm, that's why you hear the high pitch cracking noise.
Oct 14, 2017 6:29 PM
Oct 2017
absolutely loved the episode. I didn't expect Dia to give me feels,, he ended up climbing up to the top of my faves pretty quick alongside of him would be bortz lol.

(also why does everyone say she/her when the synopsis says he/him; they're dudes? lol)
Oct 14, 2017 6:50 PM
Oct 2017
Phantomhearts said:
(also why does everyone say she/her when the synopsis says he/him; they're dudes? lol)

they're rocks. rocks have no sex or gender. they are not dudes. the synopsis is gravely mistaken.

LukesYGOonYT said:

A giant snail that can melt them all away, quite the tough situation they are all in.

I wonder if Cinnabar will actually be the one to save Phos.

Well, they'll surely go fetch cinnabun and have her nuke the snail, but... maybe phos will reconstitute when the snail dries out.

although, they may not be able to find cinnamon because they don't know she stays by the cliff waiting to die.
TheSupremeOne34Oct 14, 2017 6:58 PM
Oct 14, 2017 6:57 PM
Oct 2017
TheSupremeOne34 said:
Phantomhearts said:

they're rocks. rocks have no sex or gender. they are not dudes. the synopsis is gravely mistaken.

yeah but i can still hear them refer to one another as he/him most times and i think thats better than calling them girls lol. i like that they're presenting masc-nb ppl.
everyone has SU for fem-nbs.
Oct 14, 2017 7:02 PM
Oct 2017
Phantomhearts said:
TheSupremeOne34 said:

yeah but i can still hear them refer to one another as he/him most times and i think thats better than calling them girls lol. i like that they're presenting masc-nb ppl.

they call each other by male terms because the japanese language physically has no way to describe genderless individuals, and it defaults to masculine pronouns and such if you can't figure out the subject's gender. English, on the other hand does support this, and properly we should be using it/them to refer to our gems.

I personally use she/her because I'm lazy and can't see them as anything other than cute girls.
Oct 14, 2017 7:40 PM
Jan 2017
I really hope this series becomes more popular & gets higher ratings! It's better than most of the stuff this season and deserves a better score (~_~)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 14, 2017 7:44 PM
Oct 2017
TheSupremeOne34 said:
Phantomhearts said:

they call each other by male terms because the japanese language physically has no way to describe genderless individuals, and it defaults to masculine pronouns and such if you can't figure out the subject's gender. English, on the other hand does support this, and properly we should be using it/them to refer to our gems.

I personally use she/her because I'm lazy and can't see them as anything other than cute girls.

Come on now, don't go spreading false information if you don't know about the language. Unlike English Japanese have a bunch more way of refering to people without assuming gender, and without having to resort to awkward pronouns like it or they/them. They default to masculine pronouns because while they don't have concept of gender, that doesn't mean they have no concept of masculinity or femininity. Those are there, they are just not bound by gender, and what is considered more or less masculine isn't necessarily the same way we generally view it now a day. Take high heels for example. Originally those were worn by male aristrocat, but that eventually change, along with its connotations.
Oct 14, 2017 7:54 PM

Jan 2014
Well that was a cliffhanger. Her eyeballs survived?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 14, 2017 8:13 PM

Mar 2016
Well we can say goodbye to her clothes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Oct 14, 2017 9:18 PM

Jul 2017
I honestly don't get the low rating on this. I personally find this to be one of the more intriguing shows that are currently airing. On visual side alone this is quite unique and pretty. Add enjoyable characters on top of it.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Oct 14, 2017 9:19 PM
Feb 2017
This is an anime I feel that is actually better being in 3D. It especially works when you can get the gem people break into pieces and shown in such great detail. It would make more sense to do this anime in 3D because to get that level of detail in 2D would seriously drain the studio's budget. And in all honesty, I highly doubt it would have looked as good. Plus, in terms of visuals for a 3D anime in general, this is probably the best I've seen all year, and I've seen more 3D in one year than ever before. ^_^
Oct 14, 2017 10:47 PM

Nov 2016
you know for genderless lifeforms how come most of the gems look female?
Oct 14, 2017 10:55 PM

May 2014
BlazeSoulReaperX said:

Because I wouldn't be watching if they all looked male.
Oct 14, 2017 11:17 PM

Feb 2016
Something about the character designs really works for me. I've only seen 3 cg shows, Ajin, BBK/BRNK, and Sidonia and each time I'll get distracted by the mouths or bodies. After this episode I realized that for whatever reason nothing odd stands out.

Ugh it's difficult to put it into words. I'm just really digging the overall aesthetic.
Oct 14, 2017 11:27 PM
Jul 2018
Did anyone understand the beginning monologue? Where are the other organisms.
Oct 15, 2017 12:35 AM
Aug 2017
TheSupremeOne34 said:
Phantomhearts said:

You are wrong about Japanese. In Japanese, you use "kimi, omae, anata" for both genders, those are the equivalent of "you". You can use "koitsu, soitsu, aitsu " for both genders while "kare" is for male and "kanojo" for female. Using they/them in English is rather awkward while Japanese use gender neutral pronouns in everyday conversation.
Later, you will see some gems call other "Aniki" meaning "big brother" so it didn't make sense to refer to them as girls.
Oct 15, 2017 12:37 AM
Oct 2017
794 said:
BlazeSoulReaperX said:

Because I wouldn't be watching if they all looked male.

i dont know with you guys but i see them as feminine masc-presenting genderless beings

cant we let boys be pretty without them being sexualized liek the fetish called traps yet
Oct 15, 2017 12:40 AM
Aug 2017
anirudhtsuki said:

Most of them are sea creatures like jellyfish. I think other land creatures died out maybe by impact from a meteor.
Oct 15, 2017 1:00 AM

Jun 2016
What's up with me being bothered by the usage of CGI in this show when last episode it didn't bother me at all? Ohmygod. :/

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Oct 15, 2017 2:03 AM
⚧ | 愛と平和

Oct 2010
Phantomhearts said:
i dont know with you guys but i see them as feminine masc-presenting genderless beings

cant we let boys be pretty without them being sexualized liek the fetish called traps yet

In essence I agree with you, though I prefer different terms. I like to think of them as asexual, not genderless. Asexual = no physical sex. Genderless = no self-concept or presentation of gender. They are all asexual, and some of them are more masculine (Bort, Cinnabar to a degree) and some of them are more feminine (Dia, Phos). Underneath it all, though, they (presumably) have no genitals, no XX or XY chromosomes, and no estrogen or testosterone. If they want to call each other Aniki or Nee-san or whatever, then it's their prerogative, and I respect that. What I don't respect is when other people force them to be "dudes" or "girls".
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
“The right to think is the beginning of freedom, and speech must be protected
from the government because speech is the beginning of thought.”
  — Ashcroft v.Free Speech Coalition,
✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣ ✣
Oct 15, 2017 2:25 AM

Jul 2009
Screenshots anyone?
Oct 15, 2017 3:44 AM

Jan 2015
Oh my god Phos no

I can't end like this

I don't know if I should read the manga or not
Oct 15, 2017 8:41 AM

Jan 2017
BlazeSoulReaperX said:

anirudhtsuki said:

RIP Phos
Oct 15, 2017 9:38 AM

Nov 2011
Poor Phos! After shrinking into a thousand pieces, they now make it melt in the stomach of that snail, that sadness! The episode seemed to me more than a narration, and I'm even more curious to find out more about this anime series.
Oct 15, 2017 9:40 AM

Dec 2008
Phos is not my favorite, but seeing them dissolve like that was hard to watch. Do the gems not feel pain?
The only one I really like at this point is Master.

Oct 15, 2017 10:01 AM

Mar 2009
Phos is geniunly one of my favourite characters of 2017 so far. Tomoyo Kurosawa's acting is terrific, quirky and fucking amusing. That's Kumikek from Hibikek for you.
Oct 15, 2017 12:22 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
An interesting intro and explanation for the gems. Looks like the Encyclopedia isn't going well at all. The little wrestling match between the doc and jade sure was hillarious. Hm Bort sure got there just in the nick of time though. Its nice that each of the gems also reflect their actual true stats as well. So Dia decided to test out her new techniques alone because she wanted to be strong and not always rely on Bort to protect her. Man Pho's keeps getting thrown in this episode. Dia and Bort really have a complicated relationship though. To think that the thing that dropped was actually a separate life form that had acidic skin. This new enemy sure was more interesting than the previous ones though as it required tactics to deal with. Interesting episode that introduced a pretty contrasting pair of characters. Diamond sure is a interesting character though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 15, 2017 6:29 PM

Feb 2013
Dia sparkle in the sunlight.

Epic battle again. Then an epic snail! Neat.
Oct 15, 2017 6:35 PM
Jul 2018
So that anorganic material feels pain? ^^"

I think, the whole anime is pretty weird, but I kinda like that sort of weirdness? XD

The art is so beautiful, especially Dia's hair eye lashes haha, and ofc the last part. That was so breathtaking!
Oct 15, 2017 8:55 PM

Jul 2015
I just noticed how their hair reflects the light onto their shirts, a nice and unnecessary little detail that goes to show the effort put into this anime. Also that ending was dark and kind of creepy and I really wanna know how she gonna get out of that mess.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 15, 2017 10:16 PM
Jun 2011
TheDoggoneGirl said:
What's up with me being bothered by the usage of CGI in this show when last episode it didn't bother me at all? Ohmygod. :/
i think it not looked too different from the last episode. maybe there was something there that made you feel this way
Oct 16, 2017 2:50 AM

Sep 2016
this is where i absolutely fell in love with this series omg
Objectivity doesn't exist. Subjectivity is an excuse. Beautiful world of online discourse.

Oct 16, 2017 3:53 AM

Oct 2013
Hidden gem of the season.

(Yeah I know, lazy pun)
Oct 16, 2017 8:57 AM

Apr 2015
I would have absolutely loved this if the characters were a bit more likable. Alas they're not, so just decent for me. Disliking Bort, just as I dislike every character in her mold
Oct 16, 2017 9:06 AM

Dec 2014
Oh... the cliffhanger... Now I am definetly going to read the manga.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2017

315 by EngelsGreyrat »»
Yesterday, 11:00 AM

» Not at 500,000 viewers after 6 years :(

ghier - Dec 2, 2023

29 by APolygons2 »»
Feb 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

147 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:29 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2017

98 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 8:27 PM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

108 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.