Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 5, 2016 8:11 AM

Mar 2015
It only became apparent in the cemetery scene that Sasaki-san had something to do with the Azure King.. shame to see her go, she was so pretty and it'd have been nice to see some romance between her and Dazai or Kunikida
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jul 13, 2016 10:30 PM

Apr 2011
I already got the feeling that Sasaki is behind of this. I saw the same scenario in the anime I've watched in the past.

Really good teamwork of the partners. Sadly, it end up with two casualties. It sad those two had died, Sasaki was such a pretty girl wasted, and the hacker could have a better life. But life can be cruel.
Jul 17, 2016 1:41 PM

May 2012
Things sure are getting more interesting, let's see what's next!
Jul 26, 2016 9:38 AM

Apr 2015
Well that was kinda random lol. Soo cute yet so dark...
Oct 16, 2016 3:00 PM

Mar 2008
Illyricus said:

However, there is one thing that kills the episode, and it's not the obvious revelation of Sasaki as the culprit, but how Kunikida left that kid die and start to argue with Dazai, when he was protecting the boy all this time and he was a precious information broker for the agency. Really out of character considering that he tried to protect him to honor his deceased father. They could at least made Kunikida showing horror for his death and try to save the kid to later start to argue with Dazai when he perish and that.

Dude, mte.
I read all 4 pages and only you pointed this out when this was the one thing that stood out to me the most in the whole episode.
That whole scene, Kunikida barely even registers the kid's existence, not when he took the bullets for him or when he shot the woman. He literally forgot about him once the woman showed up. I'm surprised at how much of an impact that woman had on him than the kid that all these years of remorse and caring for him would lose to a woman he knew only for a few days. I can't believe the first thing Kunikida says to Dazai after the kid shoots her & says some dying words, is about the woman. Like, seriously? Totally OOC.
This ruins all the (inner) monologue he had in the episode and the previous regarding the boy and how he can never be his father.
Apr 9, 2017 8:52 AM

Aug 2016
This anime is like a repeat .-.

Set by SenpieX
Apr 23, 2017 9:47 PM

Jun 2013
I enjoyed the traditional credits sequence at the end, I think it really suited the rout the episode went. I hope it does it more. the soundtrack is also most excellent.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Jun 14, 2017 6:14 AM

Dec 2012
A fairly heavy episode this time around. Despite Dazai's silly antics, he's keeping tabs on everything in his own way (Higuchi in ep 3, Sasaki in this arc). His description of justice was a fairly insightful glance into his character. Rather than pursuing ideals like Kunikida does, it seems he sees them more as tools that are means to an end.

The scene with Kunikida and Sasaki in the cemetery was also really well done. Time stands still for those who die. And sometimes, it freezes over for those who remain as well.
Jun 26, 2017 12:48 PM

May 2013
O. So she wasn't with the port mafia after all, but I knew she was still bad news lol
Dec 8, 2017 9:06 AM

Sep 2012
considering what was said i think they plan to build new Azure King from Kunikida this was just first Azure King flag
May 3, 2018 11:36 AM

Aug 2017
The face of Azure King tricked me. I'm glad that isn't Kunikida. That's will make little sense.

The fight and phone's scene were the best moments in the episode. Ok. So the girl was the true villain. Crazy girl kills the hacker boy then he kill her lol. I support Dazai. 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 4, 2018 10:52 PM

Feb 2015
timcanpy17 said:
I've really liked this anime up until this episode. Of course the "filler episodes" were a bit annoying but looking past that it really does have potential to become great. However there's something of an issue with Dazai that people don't seem to notice. He is essentially every archtype combined into one character. Mysterious past, no morals, used to be with the bad guys, flirt, a troll, etc. I thought maybe I was being to critical of him until I saw this episode.

At the ending, the episode kind of implied that Dazai had set up the whole confrontation with Sasaki, Kunikida, and Hacker boy whose name I can't remember at the moment. This means that he at least assumed someone would die, if not planned for it to occur. We can't just say that he had no idea this would happen as Dazai has proven himself to be fairly smart in the episode with Ranpo. So would it be fair for me to say Dazai planned the deaths of Sasaki and Hacker Boy?

I know that many are saying this was to teach Kunikida a lesson but really? Were there really no other ways of going about this? Did Hacker boy really have to get shot? Did Sasaki have to die? They couldn't have taken her in for interrogation like they have with past criminals? Ok so I guess I can see how people might justify Sasaki's death, considering she was the Azure Messenger and all but Hacker Boy? Really? He already had a pretty screwed up childhood. Did he really have to die?

Another thing I've seen people bring up is that this incident was to how Dazai, being an ex-Port Mafia member, has no morals or ethics. People are using this as reasoning to justify two unnecessary deaths. Dazai may be a bit screwed up in the head because of his past and all but in no way, shape, or form does that make acceptable to cause unnecessary death. Just because you're lacking in morals doesn't mean you get to play God and kill people unnecessarily.

To me, these problems are blatantly obvious but that doesn't seem to be the case for the rest of the watchers. I was reading the comments on this episode (from multiple websites) and they basically went like: "Dazai is sooooo hot <3" "When will atsushi actually do something" "I knew it was her all along" "Did Hacker Boy really have to die" "Damn Dazai, the new Damn Daniel" (an actual comment, I swear) "Dazai was so smart for having figured that out" "That one scene with Dazai and Kunikida switching was so awesome" "When will we see more of suicidal Dazai" etc. Overall, the comments were very positive towards Dazai's actions in this episode, which I absolutely cannot agree with. Do the fans really not notice how morally incorrect his actions were or are they too busy fawning over him because he's cute?

Overall, I have never been so angry at an anime episode. As of right now, all I see this anime doing is glorifying Dazai and almost sugar-coating the concept of unnecessary death. I really don't want to drop this anime but if it continues like this I probably will. If I was wrong at any point in this rant, can someone please explain to me what happened so I don't have to drop this?

pretty much. people depend on daizai and his appeal more than his actual character. so far he has shown to be a garbage person.
------
lmao i knew that the woman was behind it around 30 seconds it was revealed and i swear it was just lazy thinking, i wasn't trying to do one over the show or anything.

kuni's confusion and the end was pretty stupid and pointless since daizai was warning him that his ideals would be his downfall when we literally do know a single word of any of kuni's ideals. it just seems like some put away plan B of the writer in case he gets bored of the main story.

didn't care that the woman died, i would have killed her as soon as that crazy witch opened her mouth. an irrelevant member of the detective society died so yeah didn't feel anything either. i can tell that the director was trying to go all out with the seriousness of this episode but in all honesty he/she had no choice of squashing it into a 23-25 minute episode.
May 20, 2018 8:02 AM

May 2017
im legit zero invested into these characters. felt no emotion what so ever when the guy got shot only a little shock thats all. + this main protagonist is probably the most useless character i have ever seen hes so uninteresting and boring its fascinating
May 27, 2018 1:25 PM

Jan 2018
There are a few things I am confused on:
1) Why did Sasaki come in trying to kill Kunikida? Assuming Kunikida is not the Azure King and killed him, it can't be because she wanted to get revenge on him. After all, she said, "Don't you understand? You resemble him." If this is the case, why would she want to kill him? Does it pain her to see someone who chases their ideals as much as the Azure King(her ex) did?
2) Couldn't they do something to save them(hacker dude and Sasaki)? So, in episode 3, Tanizaki and Naomi were absolutely destroyed in that fight, yet they somehow were still alive afterwards and were cured by Dr. Yasano. How come they couldn't do something about these two? Simple. They died. So, they couldn't do anything. I guess a better question is, how the hell did Tanizaki and Naomi survive in episode 3?
3) On the theory of Kunikida being the Azure King, why would he have given his own location away? We know he is sensitive to casualties, so I don't think he would've called people over just to kill them. He could have faked his death on his own if he wanted to. Also, we know there was a Kunikida in the agency at the time, are you saying he was playing two roles? He was all over the place, how would that even work?

I know this anime came out long ago, but if anyone is willing to answer, thanks ahead of time!
jxlloMay 27, 2018 2:16 PM

. .  ·        
* ✹   
        ✫ * .     *
  ⊹             ⋆

"いいえ"      

✧ ⋆   profile | anime list | manga list   ⋆ ✧
Oct 15, 2018 6:57 PM

Dec 2013
Daizai can be surprisingly harsh sometimes.
Jan 25, 2019 7:29 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This had to be the best or one of the best episodes thus far, my sole complain is that they keep using the classic, "culprit been near you all the time", it was for this episode with the girl, with was for the last one with the driver, it was for that cop dude, always close and convinient to point out and try to get the case done with.

Would like to see the plot digressing from this in the future.
Feb 19, 2019 8:43 AM

Apr 2009
Scooby Doo has better mystery stories than this.
Oct 13, 2019 1:34 AM

Aug 2018
This episode was so Great that it remind me of bbc luther
Jan 28, 2020 9:01 PM
Jan 2020
the scene where they all got a phone call at the same time was absolutely insane
Mar 11, 2020 3:12 AM

May 2016
Well last episode I have been asking myself why she was drowning alone when other victims are in a gas chamber.
Apr 15, 2020 4:08 AM

Feb 2018
Saddest episode xd...
May 27, 2020 10:31 PM
Apr 2020
I think the anime started giving an interesting importance to the relationship, caring and protection from kunikida's side to rokuzou because of his feeling of guilt towards the death of Taguchi's father, but somehow all of that development fell apart after the death of rokuzou, I didn't get to see a lot of emotion nor sadness at all, he just yelled at dazai as always... Man, that was confusing, it put me off a little...
Jun 2, 2020 8:07 AM

Jun 2019
Yes, there was a better way. Sometimes I can't understand Dazai.
lettuce<3
Nov 13, 2020 6:59 AM
May 2019
Well, she really likes a man with ideals
Nov 13, 2020 7:03 AM
May 2019
shklooal1 said:
I think the anime started giving an interesting importance to the relationship, caring and protection from kunikida's side to rokuzou because of his feeling of guilt towards the death of Taguchi's father, but somehow all of that development fell apart after the death of rokuzou, I didn't get to see a lot of emotion nor sadness at all, he just yelled at dazai as always... Man, that was confusing, it put me off a little...

Yeah, I didn't get the sadness feeling at all... they could explore other sides of the character besides yelling and being extremely serious.
Dec 22, 2020 2:43 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
“You’re the only one I know who is still asleep at 9am”

Better than me who’s waking up at 12pm...

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 24, 2021 1:09 PM

Mar 2019
Well all this Azure King thing was only a filler. Ofc the two characters that were introduced had to be killed even though Aikiko could easily save them but it's not canon so why would she.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Feb 24, 2021 8:27 PM

Oct 2019
I did not quite understand the ending, nor did I agree in any way with Dazai's lecture about justice to Kunikida. Why was that "the only possible outcome", because Sasaki lowered her weapon but did not drop it (hence if Dazai dropped his own weapon she might have killed them)? Is that why Dazai (deliberately) passed the weapon to the dying Rokuzu? So that he killed her instead out of revenge and end their impasse?

Rokuzu lied that he did not know who was behind it all. For a split second we saw him see Sasaki's reflection on the eye of the Azure King (in a way beyond ridiculous "zoom and enhance multiple times and retain the same image clarity" scene..). So he didn't come to the meeting to find out who it was, he came to confront Sasaki; though that's ultimately irrelevant. Was this really "the only possible outcome"? Did they really have no way to capture her alive? I strongly doubt that.

Dasai's lecture about justice to Kunikida was, quite literally, an added insult to (mortal) injury. "Justice is a weapon. It can be used to cause harm but it cannot protect or save others". Come on, really? Does this seemingly serious, utterly pompous and pretentious statement even require an explanation about how fallacious and misguided it is?

On the contrary, Dazai's warning to Kunikida right after that he should be careful not to follow on the footsteps of the Azure King made a lot of sense. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Azure King was also voiced by Yoshimasa Hosoya (Kunikida's VA). For a while I thought that this meant that the Azure King had faked his death and that he was Kunikida all along! The Azure King also looked a lot like Kunikida (same hair, the same eyes etc) behind the mask!
Mar 4, 2021 10:00 PM
May 2020
nice, i really liked that last scene, i like how serious this can get besides the comedy, hope to get more of that.
Apr 19, 2021 10:19 AM
May 2020
justice is just a weapon
May 24, 2021 4:41 AM

Jun 2020
Oh no did Kaito’s character die. I liked him & thought he would stick around.....

The art was beautiful. Dazai is BEAUTIFUL

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jun 30, 2021 5:34 AM

Nov 2020
Damn nice twist at the end.
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Aug 13, 2021 9:49 PM
Dec 2017
The show's pacing does really do go quick quite faster than expeecte.d

Sep 28, 2021 12:05 PM
Nov 2020
This episode just scratches the surface of how dark this anime can get.
Oct 23, 2021 5:18 PM
Sep 2020
The case is finally solved !! Dazai and Kunikida are really close at friends and partners !!! Atsushi is learning a lot from the training !! I am enjoying this story so much !!
Sep 6, 2022 1:32 AM
Nov 2016
not so good not dso bad
Sep 11, 2022 2:05 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh so the girl was the wife of the previous opponent, I didn't expect that, RIP I guess but I hope the hacker won't die (it doesn't seem like he'll live though), at least the bomb has been defused
Oct 17, 2022 8:37 PM

Oct 2018
Honetsly, this stand-alone stories are just getting better.
Dec 6, 2022 1:21 AM

Feb 2017

All that philosophy at the end blindsided me. Gonna take a bit of time to unpack-

I feel like I missed the signs when it came to Kunikida's vigilante ideals? It gives him more layers.

I knew she'd be the villain. I like how she used both of their desires against them in the same scene, yet didn't lie. She just weaponized different parts of herself.

Dazai gives off such sensual energy lmao.
Jan 17, 2023 12:03 PM
Jan 2023
WHAt. THE. FUCK. That was good!
Mar 19, 2023 12:57 AM
Oct 2020
it was a thrilling episode
Apr 5, 2023 5:24 AM
Apr 2023
Cool, loved the episode
Jul 11, 2023 7:51 PM
Feb 2023
I literally predicted that that the one kid would be the main culprit and my 2nd choice was the one girl, but looks like I got the answer mixed up.
Jul 12, 2023 6:25 PM
Feb 2023
quien chucha es el rey azul wn
Jul 13, 2023 4:37 AM
Jun 2021
AYYYY triple carechimba hpta las sorpresas que saca este anime mkk, de buena que se bajan gente como si nada y yo solo quedo con la boca abierta
Jul 25, 2023 7:48 AM

Dec 2022
I just realised that Atsushi doesn't need to exist. He doesn't seem to contribute anything to the narrative, any of the episodes, or any of the action scenes. He also has a barebones backstory and a nonfunctional ability. He gets dragged along in investigations, but provides no real contribution to any of them, he's just there.

Shaded Horizon

Aug 21, 2023 8:15 PM

May 2022
I was guessing it was just the son, but when she used sayonara I knew something was off. Defiantly a very interesting episodes.
Aug 26, 2023 4:03 AM

Apr 2013
They are all so noisy... I wish the characters would not freak out all the time.
Aug 29, 2023 6:44 AM
Jul 2015
It was obvious the girl was the mastermind from the way she give herself she was abducted but in the pool naked bikini

Then she keep getting protection from Dazai act innocent then talked nicely with spec guy

Even more obvious when the girl talking about the death and pursuing mission for her lover one

So shes does really the terrorist gf 🤣
Oct 16, 2023 10:01 AM

Dec 2020
She was already a weird character how does she yell for help while she was waking up while drowning?
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2016

244 by gladiusm »»
May 13, 7:45 PM

» Writing is more miss than hit; will it get better?

BiobulletM - May 3

30 by BiobulletM »»
May 9, 1:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by Majutsuishi »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.