Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
May 3, 1:34 PM

Feb 2018
This anime series was in my watchlist for quite a while, and I finally started it.

After 7 episodes, I'm starting to question if I should drop it because the writting feels choppy to me.

Here some examples (and of course, spoilers up to episode 7):
The agency wins against Port Mafia killers because... undisclosed cool reasons
Ok, first scene pits a bunch of guys with machine guns pointing at the agency guys. Next scene the agency guys already won because they are the are edgy and cool.
Ok, so far they don't seem that strong to be able to win this one, but I guess they might reveal their hidden strenght eventually... just not in the next 4 episodes at least; and thats being a little hard to diggest for me.

They investigate two cases and both cases somehow involve the culprit as someone that was on the crime scene already and has a close interaction with the team from the begining of the case itself
Not bad on itself, but feels pretty cheap considering one case is followed by the other and aren't related.

--------------------------------

Ok, that's not to say it has some hit moments. The logic of how they found out the policeman was the culprit was pretty neat and the fake interview in episode 2 was funny, powers also have great interactions with other powers, making really interesting scenes; but it's padded by yawn scenes

May 3, 1:45 PM
Dec 2021
Not really. The next season is utterly abysmal. The third season certainly recovered from the second but just goes back to being Bones' standard stock shounen.

May 3, 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
Haven't actually watched, but I've stayed away up until now because almost every season is rated a full 2 pts lower on AniDB.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
May 3, 1:53 PM
Feb 2021
To me it gets better with every season! When I started watching it I felt similar as you do - I didn't really see the appeal of the series. Fortunately some people convinced me to watch the first four episodes of season 2 and that's when I finally fell for it :) The writing in the next seasons gets more and more tight and exciting! For me the key to enjoying it was also realizing that it's not really a detective series, even though it features detectives as main characters xD
May 3, 1:58 PM
Dec 2022
That's bad. Well, that's you. As for me, it gets more peak with each season. As for s5, it was mega peak. I love this series so much. It's just too peak. Heavenly peak.
May 3, 1:58 PM
Aug 2021
I'd say seasons 4 and 5 are peak of this series so far, so imo it gets better with every season. Trust the process
May 3, 2:24 PM
Dec 2019
It def gets better. I’d say just give it a chance but if you find you still don’t enjoy it and it feels like a chore then put it on hold and give it another try some other time
May 3, 2:33 PM
Dec 2023
i only read the manga but it gets better
May 3, 2:44 PM
Jan 2022
I liked all the seasons for bungo stray dogs I have complaints for it
May 3, 3:22 PM
Jan 2021
Eleben said:
Not really. The next season is utterly abysmal. The third season certainly recovered from the second but just goes back to being Bones' standard stock shounen.

you thought 2 was that much worse than the rest? I mean the climax kinda sucked, but I feel that way every arc, I thought The Guild itself as an addition was awesome. Feel like it's at least as consistent as S1 lmao
May 3, 3:24 PM
Jan 2021
I'd say it just gets better and definitely more plot heavy as it goes so S1 was the weakest imo, but I wouldn't say you should ever keep watching something you don't really enjoy, so I'd say just watch until/unless you decide you'd rather be watching something else
May 3, 4:08 PM
Mar 2021
BiobulletM said:
This anime series was in my watchlist for quite a while, and I finally started it.

After 7 episodes, I'm starting to question if I should drop it because the writting feels choppy to me.

Ok, first scene pits a bunch of guys with machine guns pointing at the agency guys. Next scene the agency guys already won because they are the are edgy and cool.
Ok, so far they don't seem that strong to be able to win this one, but I guess they might reveal their hidden strenght eventually... just not in the next 4 episodes at least; and thats being a little hard to diggest for me.

They investigate two cases and both cases somehow involve the culprit as someone that was on the crime scene already and has a close interaction with the team from the begining of the case itself
Not bad on itself, but feels pretty cheap considering one case is followed by the other and aren't related.

Ok, that's not to say it has some hit moments. The logic of how they found out the policeman was the culprit was pretty neat and the fake interview in episode 2 was funny, powers also have great interactions with other powers, making really interesting scenes; but it's padded by yawn scenes

I felt kind of the same as you to be honest. I liked the concept of the story and the characters are cool to me, but I just couldn't quite get into it at all.

I feel like it's a great shounen show for a younger audience (similar to Fairy Tail) but am sad to say that I think we were a bit late to the Bungou train.
May 3, 8:32 PM
Jun 2013
Season 1 made me wonder if I should continue....season 2 was better, and I felt every season after that was pretty much amazing.
Abandon preconceptions and cultivate knowledge to make all things possible.
You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you.
May 3, 8:36 PM
Mar 2022
BiobulletM said:

Season 1 was avg introduction to characters....Season 2 a little better but nothing compares to the peak of Season 3,4,5
May 3, 9:04 PM
Oct 2020
Season 1 is the weakest point yes, but it gets better and better so keep going
May 3, 10:36 PM
Apr 2023
It’s lit my fav anime and I will never understand why some people dislike it so much. It got me hooked ever since ep 1 and it gets better after every episode
May 3, 11:09 PM
Dec 2021
SoulessAnime said:
Eleben said:

you thought 2 was that much worse than the rest? I mean the climax kinda sucked, but I feel that way every arc, I thought The Guild itself as an addition was awesome. Feel like it's at least as consistent as S1 lmao

Yeah, I thought it was noticeably worse. The first season was boring Bones, but it was competently made & sensibly written. I can’t say that about season 2.

May 3, 11:57 PM
Mar 2022
ig there are two kinda ppl one who didn't like the show and ones who loved it there's no in between I think, definitely I am in latter. To me its the best shounen ever, really deep emotional characters, good healthy humour plus Characters with real motive and ideologies, not your average I can't kill the guy kinda bs the show really challenges it's characters Morals. To me that's the one shounen Ik that delivers it, Ik alot of ppl don't agree but hey its just an opinion it vary from person to person.
May 4, 12:35 AM
Oct 2019
The 1st season is ok
But is going better and better.
Here my rate of the seasons (i dont have watch the season 5) :
S1 : 7 / S2 : 8 / S3 : 8 / S4 : 8 (not very far from 9).
I think the S5 for me will also be an 8 or finally a 9.
All that to say is that it’s really gradual.
After S1 I said to myself "It's really cool, I really like it but... I expected more".
Then I watched the sequel and the famous plus happened.
You have to go beyond the 1st season because afterwards, yeah it's a banger.
May 4, 2:20 AM
Sep 2018
I personally don’t think it gets „much better” with time, it’s pretty much the same all the way through: some cool ideas are thrown around and characters are interesting, but the writing overall is very lacking, there’s ton of ass-pulls and shit happenning just because.
May 4, 4:25 AM
Feb 2022
BiobulletM said:

lets see s1 was pretty slow i think if u dont like ms character then it will get pretty good in s4 and as for side character they keep getting better from s2 (it also introduced one of the best character of franchise) .
May 4, 9:57 AM
Jan 2024
BiobulletM said:

It gets better, season 1 was slow and only introduced the characters. We were left without any of the other character's backgrounds and their powers. Atsushi's sudden control over his powers felt rushed at first too but all the doubts clear out as you go. I mean season 2 starts with Dazai's backstory and every other agency memeber's powers and story is explained further in the story too. Season 5 is the latest and we are still getting more backstories and yet few more characters are left to be explained. It is defo worth the watch tho.
May 4, 1:49 PM
Jul 2020
No.

The writing is terrible.

The characters are very good, tho.

It depends on whether you value internal consistency too much.

Plot kinda sucks, many things don’t make too much sense.

But hey, Dazai and Edogawa exist. They are like 10/10 characters so if you can handle the rest, keep watching just for these two.
May 4, 3:33 PM
Jul 2022
season 3 und season 5 were good
May 4, 4:42 PM
Mar 2023
It’s already been covered a good bit, but it definitely gets better each season, the problem is that that bar starts so low it’s hard to say it’s fully worth the commitment. As a whole the show is fine with a handful of fun characters and mediocre plot points, if you’re looking for anything deeper I don’t think it’s worthwhile though.
May 5, 5:25 AM
Jul 2023
It was hit or miss for me, too, but the backstory episodes with Oda are incredible and Fyodor's introduction episode is one of the best villain intros you'll see. I'd say at least go through the second season, and drop it if you're still not feeling it. As a whole, it was enjoyable enough for me to want to finish everything released so far.
May 5, 5:55 AM

Mar 2022
Well, yes and no. Up until the third season, the writing remains the same as it was in the first season. However, there is a slight improvement in the fourth and fifth seasons. I wouldn't recommend continuing watching the series if you didn't like the first season.
Alcohol is humanity's friend. Can I abandon a friend?
May 6, 6:21 AM
Sep 2021
it definitely gets better as it goes on but if you hate it don't force yourself to watch it.

May 7, 12:08 PM

Feb 2018
Wow, all the comments have been of great help. I'm already at the end of the season, it is still more miss than hit; but lowering expectations helps. Characters are really great, but I think I'll take a rest before continuing S2
May 8, 3:44 PM
Aug 2018
I just finished the 2nd season. It's worse than first season. The plot holes only get worse. This is a low quality shounen.
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
May 9, 1:18 PM

Feb 2018
Reply to eWEQRW123123
I just finished the 2nd season. It's worse than first season. The plot holes only get worse. This is a low quality shounen.
@eWEQRW123123 Funny thing, pal. This series is a seinen. I also believed it was a shonen, guess all the bloody stuff change the demographic.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2016

244 by gladiusm »»
May 13, 7:45 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 18, 2016

204 by moraxiom »»
May 10, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

368 by Devonnius »»
Apr 14, 11:19 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

159 by yahn0928 »»
Apr 2, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2016

144 by Majutsuishi »»
Apr 1, 8:07 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.