Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 4, 2018 9:34 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's back :D

Felt like the pacing slowed down a little but the character narrative coming from Ash is interesting. It's like reflecting a change and focusing on his own future. I still think the relationship between him and Eiji is among the better elements in this show.

That scene with Ash confronting Arthur was pretty intense. What a fight!
Oct 4, 2018 9:44 AM

Jun 2008
It's sad that an 80's manga can do action scenes better than a 2018 anime.

I know I'm being a whiny manga fan but this episode felt so underwhelming compared to the manga. And not just because of the lackluster animation. Probably the most disappointing episode for me so far because this fight was what I was looking forward to most when I heard Banana Fish was getting an anime and this was such a letdown :(

And I'm always going to be sad any time Sing's lines get cut.

Anyway, let us rejoice that Arthur is finally dead \o/

Now that they are pretty much going to have to start doing a volume per episode, I expect most of the next arc to be cut, which is too bad because it was fun but I guess it's understandable if they make a lot of cuts because it's not that important.
hirahiraOct 4, 2018 10:32 AM
Oct 4, 2018 10:30 AM
Nov 2015
Maybe this episode wasn't amazing enough compared to previous ones,but it was ever a good episode. we'll read soon the manga because this is a great story. we're glad that Arthur is dead, finally.
elenaeteresaOct 4, 2018 10:34 AM
Oct 4, 2018 10:36 AM

Nov 2007
I had to facepalm twice at Eiji in the last few minutes of this episode... like really...
But yeah, finally Arthur is dead, I haven't read the manga so I'm pretty curious as how the story will progress from now on.
Oct 4, 2018 11:01 AM

Nov 2016
Finally that little bitch Arthur was done in.

Good episode, for some reason it went by in an instant, tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 4, 2018 11:54 AM
Aug 2018
I loved everything here. The fight was intense. Ash's focuses on his life. The Kilimangiaro reference. damn.
Oct 4, 2018 12:16 PM

Dec 2016
Arthur got a trump card under his sleeve! No way!! >_< The fight underground was so unfair but I'm glad Ash got that far and put an end to Arthur's cowardly act. Very intense battle! I'm wondering what will happen from now on...

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Oct 4, 2018 12:20 PM

Sep 2015
I noticed the animation was a little off for this ep. but it didn't really bother me all that much. The fight was intense and had me on the edge of my seat, so it was enough to distract me from the poorer visuals.
Oct 4, 2018 12:29 PM

Mar 2014
Things are about to kick off. I liked this episode, but I agree that this felt more intense in the manga as well. Maybe it has to do with already knowing what happens though, and anime-only fans might have found it just as intense.

I really hope MAPPA won't skip any of the remaining arcs!!
DanaeOct 4, 2018 12:36 PM
Oct 4, 2018 12:51 PM

Feb 2016
Ow, this episode just finished twisting the dagger in my heart. Really, just how much has Ash suffered? ;_;

That fight was intense tho.

hirahira said:
It's sad that an 80's manga can do action scenes better than a 2018 anime.

I don't blame you, even tho I love this, there's something off about this anime. Mappa isn't doing it any justice and I know this could be way better than it is.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Oct 4, 2018 1:01 PM

Jan 2018
Glad this series is back and with an intense episode too. That scene with Ash talking about Kilimanjaro was really interesting too.

Excited to see where this is gonna go now that Arthur is dead.
Oct 4, 2018 1:22 PM

Jun 2014
It's about time that piece of shit Arthur died. The fight between him and Ash was pretty intense.

Something that I found kind of funny though was how many opportunities there were for Arthur's lackeys to shoot Ash, only to stand there and not try to shoot until his attention is on them. Like, just shoot at him while he's focused on someone else lol.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Oct 4, 2018 1:30 PM

Aug 2017
Arthur is dead. Good news. Sadly, everybody is arrested lol.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 4, 2018 1:40 PM
Dec 2015
Oh I’m so glad they didn’t end up cutting that conversation about the leopard. things get... interesting from this point loll.
Oct 4, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2017
Ash being a god shot is one thing, every single one of his assailants being stormtroopers is another thing altogether.

Oct 4, 2018 2:49 PM

Jun 2009
FINALLY after such a long wait the showdown of arthur and ash another banger ep 10/10 without a doubt

just like we used too love Banana fish one amazing battle after the other
Oct 4, 2018 2:55 PM

Mar 2015
I don't get if Arthur can shoot or not, can someone clarify this for me?
Oct 4, 2018 3:13 PM

Jul 2017
That was a good fight, and as an anime-only viewer, I was really satisfied with this fight and how it played out.
Oct 4, 2018 3:19 PM

Mar 2009
Lyfa said:
I had to facepalm twice at Eiji in the last few minutes of this episode... like really...
But yeah, finally Arthur is dead, I haven't read the manga so I'm pretty curious as how the story will progress from now on.

In my opinion- it gets better now that (Arthur) he's dead.
Oct 4, 2018 3:24 PM

Mar 2009
lezerman said:

He can't.
Tendons in his fingers were cut.
He can't seem to move them independently too well....
(ie... can't hold a gun & pull a trigger).
From what I understood in the manga, anyway....
Oct 4, 2018 3:40 PM

Mar 2015
windeen-windy said:
lezerman said:

He can't.

Everything makes sense now, thank you.
Oct 4, 2018 3:49 PM
Oct 2017
subway is depicted pretty accurately, looks just as dirty and the F train would be shut down for Fast Track. trains aren't graffiti'd though, but that could be explained away as Arthur's gang commandeering the train and making it the gang's personal vehicle. the outdoor platform scene at coney island is wrong though since the rails look like old school steam train tracks and lack the third rail that subway lines use, so 0/5 for me, get it right MAPPA.
Oct 4, 2018 4:12 PM

Mar 2012
Wow... what a let down. I guess they skimped on the action for making room for stuff that was cut from last week? The animation was kind of static in comparison to the manga. Did this episode not have a budget? It was so bland and no tension at all when Ash was hiding in the train and being a one man army. Disappointing adaptation. I bet next episode wraps the majority of next arc into just one episode.

Also, an example how this show should have just stayed in the 1980s. Coney Island as a gang paradise is so not the case anymore. Trains aren't a mess like that either anymore.

LOL @ silly fujoshi's shipping Bones and Kong.
MetaKiteOct 4, 2018 4:15 PM
Oct 4, 2018 4:48 PM

Mar 2009
lezerman said:
windeen-windy said:

He can't.

lezerman said:
windeen-windy said:

He can't.

No problem ^_^
Glad to help! I know it wasn't fully explained too well in the manga or this episode.

Only people who understand problems with pain and injury and what tendons that are damaged would cause problems with, would get it without it being completely explained.
Oct 4, 2018 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
Arthur was almost a coward to the end, as it was to be expected. He never intended to fight fair in the first place so I'm glad that Sing, and Cain were there, and were able to help. Ash wiping out Arthur's lackeys by himself in a train in movement was so cool, just as his final fight with Arthur was, and it was also nice to finally see the moment he cut Arthur's fingers, he was a coward from the start, and the worst to the end. Good riddance, one less to be despicable.

But the best part of the episode wasn't even the cool action, but Eiji pondering about the suffering that prevents Ash from sleeping, and the bravado he puts on; not knowing how to help him. And their talk about the leopard, this was so good, but I'm worried now, are they really just going to arrest them all? At least Dino isn't in the country, and the one he left in charge was Arthur, and he's dead, so I don't think they can do anything to Ash in the jail now.

Oh, and the way he ignored the crowd cheering for him, and just screamed "go back to Japan" to Eiji, saying that he didn't want him to see him like that was really poignant too! I can't with Banana Fish.
Oct 4, 2018 5:17 PM

Oct 2015
Trust Arthur to fight dirty twice now. That was one cunning guy, I guess he got what he deserved in the end. Ash was really badass in this episode eliminating Arthur's men alone even though he was betrayed. Eiji's presence sure did a number on Ash, but he recovered quickly though.

Ash won't die though but I wonder what will happen to Eiji and the gang since they've all been arrested.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 4, 2018 6:28 PM

Feb 2015
Excellent episode, the persecution was well performed, this episode did nothing than show how skilled Ash is. Everything setting things for the final minutes where Arthur is stylishly murdered. I haven't seen a murder like that in a couple of animes, very impressive and how the show play background music for the scene and get to capture Arthur's final breath.

Cool.
Oct 4, 2018 7:49 PM

Mar 2009
Why did Arthur hate Ash so much? They cut that conversation short.
Oct 4, 2018 8:00 PM

Sep 2017
Well not too surprised that Ash won or that Arthur played dirty like that. My suspension of disbelief was tested quite a bit with how pitiful Arthur's lackeys were. Ash is obviously very skilled, but there were several moments were one of those dumb asses should have had a clean shot.
Oct 4, 2018 10:06 PM

May 2018
I can't wait for this show to be nominated in Crunchyroll's AOTY. This is the best anime I ever watched in 2018!
Oct 4, 2018 10:45 PM

Aug 2018
Mormegil said:

The audience is kind of meant to piece together the hints. Even in the manga, it's not explicitly stated. This is my take on it:

I think everything can be boiled down to the fact that Ash took pretty much everything from Arthur. In the flashback at the beginning, their knife fight was done to settle territory. We can assume Arthur was a gang boss before Ash came in and took it all away.

In the manga, it's clearly stated that Dino gave Ash territory and a gang to lead. Meanwhile the anime only implies that Ash would not have been a gang leader if given the choice. Regardless, what really twists the knife into Arthur's pride is that Ash believes that everything he did was "not his fault," that it was all technically Dino's influence, and that he had no choice. Arthur understands that Ash "never asked" to be a gang leader, but as Arthur sees it, Ash did have a choice and he made a half-hearted decision that destroyed everything Arthur had.

And that brings us to how they were at the start of the series - Ash controlled a gang he never wanted to lead while Arthur, who wanted to lead a gang, is forced to simply follow. There's also Arthur's inferiority complex and resentment towards Ash due to Dino's preferential treatment of the latter... but I think generally speaking, it's because Ash took away the things that truly mattered to Arthur. His inferiority complex and Ash getting preferential treatment just builds up on that initial hatred.

I would go into more detail, especially regarding all the evidence relating to the preferential treatment... but I think doing so will create an essay about Arthur's character as a whole. Plus, the answer to your question is pretty much up to one's own interpretation of the all the details that have been dropped throughout the series so I'll leave it at that unless you specifically want to know more.
Oct 4, 2018 11:47 PM

Nov 2007
windeen-windy said:
Lyfa said:

In my opinion- it gets better now that (Arthur) he's dead.

Ohhhh, you've just peeked my curiousity :D
Oct 4, 2018 11:56 PM

Feb 2014
Everyone's happy now that Arthur met is demise, but I do feel sad for him coz he was put into that position for being ridden of what he desired by Ash. In a way Ash is becoming the monster he does not want to be.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 4, 2018 11:58 PM

Mar 2009
Lunallae said:
Mormegil said:

The audience is kind of meant to piece together the hints. Even in the manga, it's not explicitly stated. This is my take on it:

I think everything can be boiled down to the fact that Ash took pretty much everything from Arthur. In the flashback at the beginning, their knife fight was done to settle territory. We can assume Arthur was a gang boss before Ash came in and took it all away.

In the manga, it's clearly stated that Dino gave Ash territory and a gang to lead. Meanwhile the anime only implies that Ash would not have been a gang leader if given the choice. Regardless, what really twists the knife into Arthur's pride is that Ash believes that everything he did was "not his fault," that it was all technically Dino's influence, and that he had no choice. Arthur understands that Ash "never asked" to be a gang leader, but as Arthur sees it, Ash did have a choice and he made a half-hearted decision that destroyed everything Arthur had.

And that brings us to how they were at the start of the series - Ash controlled a gang he never wanted to lead while Arthur, who wanted to lead a gang, is forced to simply follow. There's also Arthur's inferiority complex and resentment towards Ash due to Dino's preferential treatment of the latter... but I think generally speaking, it's because Ash took away the things that truly mattered to Arthur. His inferiority complex and Ash getting preferential treatment just builds up on that initial hatred.

I would go into more detail, especially regarding all the evidence relating to the preferential treatment... but I think doing so will create an essay about Arthur's character as a whole. Plus, the answer to your question is pretty much up to one's own interpretation of the all the details that have been dropped throughout the series so I'll leave it at that unless you specifically want to know more.

Appreciate the reply! That certainly made it a lot clearer.
Oct 5, 2018 2:30 AM

Nov 2013
I knew what to expect coming in to this episode and having a week to mentally prepare myself and still it wasn’t enough. I honestly loved this part so much in the manga cause it just shows just how important Eiji is becoming for Ash. But that scene where ash gets taken away....... that's really make me sad.
And MAPPA changed the phrasing a bit;

“is it really true that we can’t [be together?]” vs “is it really true that we can’t [be friends?]
idk why they did this, But i'm in love with this
Oct 5, 2018 2:40 AM
Jul 2018
sucks that ash was fatally injured and things ended like that but it was meant to happen from the beginning
Oct 5, 2018 6:30 AM
Sep 2018
...after 13 episodes, we can see everytimes eiji show up, Ash will be hurt in anyway. The first time they meet, Skip die. Sending a message, Griffin die.Eiji also lead to the death of Ash's stepmother. Afterthat, Ash kill his best friend Shorter to save Eiji. And now he disrupt the fight and make Ash got a wound,.... i feel like Eiji is Grim reaper for Ash
Oct 5, 2018 6:44 AM
Oct 2018
What chapter in the manga is the end of this episode?
Oct 5, 2018 7:22 AM

Sep 2018
the episodes go by WAY too fast! It's a phenomenon that happens to me time and time again! Especially when my least favorite character finally dies!
Oct 5, 2018 7:28 AM

Dec 2013
This adaptation is a fucking massacre. I'm let down by MAPPA, the animation was fucking terrible.
That said, we should have more knives fights in anime.

Oh yeah and Eiji is still as annoying as ever.
Oct 5, 2018 7:29 AM

Mar 2009
Smiley56 said:
What chapter in the manga is the end of this episode?

It ended about 70 percent into vol 9's chapter #1.
Oct 5, 2018 8:21 AM

Aug 2016
Good to see another Banana Fish episode in 2 weeks. The episode is intense with the fast pacing in terms of "mafia" genre; but as an action-anime, the fight scenes are slightly not as fluid as I, an anime-only audience, expected.

Ash illustrating his view of death with the story of "the snows of kilimanjaro" reminds me of the scene in Cowboy Bebop, where Spike explains why he is going on a no-return fight with the story of "The cat that lived a millioin times". These scenes elevate anime to a whole new level. I shall turn to the original manga for more of these philosophy exploration. (Yes I'm fully aware Ash's scene should be crafted earlier than CB)
HopbeeKOct 5, 2018 8:26 AM
一期一会
Oct 5, 2018 8:38 AM

Mar 2012
Lunallae said:
Mormegil said:

I sort of agree with that because you are wrong to suggest that Dino gave Ash territory and a gang. He did not. It is explicitly stated by Dino himself that Ash did not want his help in establishing a gang. Ash did it all on his own since he wanted nothing from Dino. I think this was stated in chapter 2 or 3 in the manga and I think episode 1 of the anime.

Reading between the lines, I think the case here is that Arthur was not much different from Ash but he wanted that criminal, posh lifestyle but Ash never did yet Ash benefited from excellent education and training by just being Dino's favorite. This is why Dino comments how a wildcat like Ash has no loyalty and just wants freedom while Arthur has ambition. Dino gave Arthur a chance after it was clear Ash betrayed him and was lying about the Banana Fish vial that Ash took. It was clear then that Arthur was just waiting to take Ash's place. Likely waiting for years to do so but instead Ash kept beating him at everything.
MetaKiteOct 5, 2018 8:48 AM
Oct 5, 2018 8:45 AM

Mar 2012
Whayle said:
This adaptation is a fucking massacre. I'm let down by MAPPA, the animation was fucking terrible.
That said, we should have more knives fights in anime.

Oh yeah and Eiji is still as annoying as ever.
LOL Clearly, you did not see the knife fight in the original SDF Macross anime. That was really painful to look at by even 1982 standards.

I agree that the animation in this episode was awful.
MetaKiteOct 5, 2018 9:02 AM
Oct 5, 2018 9:15 AM

Aug 2018

Do you have an exact quote for that point? I haven't been able to dig anything up. Meanwhile, Yut Lung specifically said to Eiji in Volume 5 that "the next present was a small territory in Manhattan to run, and he showed he could keep it with or without Golzine."

It's interesting that you point out that Ash wants nothing from Dino because from what I recall, the anime version of Ash does not have this specific characteristic. Last episode's scene at the airport with Ash and Dino had Ash returning both the car and an earring worth the same amount as the one he gave the Fly to Dino because he does not want to owe Dino anything in the manga. The anime removed that part entirely.

I agree with that interpretation. I think there's a lot of evidence that can back up the idea that Arthur hates the fact that Ash got preferential treatment from Dino and that this favoritism is what Arthur believes is the reason Ash beats him at everything.
Oct 5, 2018 9:48 AM

Mar 2012
Lunallae said:
Do you have an exact quote for that point? I haven't been able to dig anything up. Meanwhile, Yut Lung specifically said to Eiji in Volume 5 that "the next present was a small territory in Manhattan to run, and he showed he could keep it with or without Golzine."

It's interesting that you point out that Ash wants nothing from Dino because from what I recall, the anime version of Ash does not have this specific characteristic. Last episode's scene at the airport with Ash and Dino had Ash returning both the car and an earring worth the same amount as the one he gave the Fly to Dino because he does not want to owe Dino anything in the manga. The anime removed that part entirely.

I agree with that interpretation. I think there's a lot of evidence that can back up the idea that Arthur hates the fact that Ash got preferential treatment from Dino and that this favoritism is what Arthur believes is the reason Ash beats him at everything.
It's n the same scene where Dino talks about how Ash has a multi-ethnic gang. I can track it down later. It stuck out for precisely the reasons you stated. It seems contradictory and I think the anime has muddled it some since it has a tendency to cut out small important details like Ash giving the Rolls Royce back to Dino.
Oct 5, 2018 11:07 AM

Dec 2016
Another great episode!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Oct 5, 2018 12:13 PM

Dec 2014
ok just wow...Ah was really taken back by Eiji in the end...he didn't want Eiji to look at that side of him
Oct 5, 2018 12:44 PM

Dec 2015
Since the opening highlighted it, I kind of expected a very ugly scene for the outside fight. Well, it wasn't that ugly in the end. It was simply... there.

The speed is still acceptable, I wonder when they will hit the accelerator again to fit 25 tomes in 25eps.

3/5

@Clemance Are yous ure the sentences are different? It could simply be a translation/adaptation difference?
Rei_IIIOct 5, 2018 12:47 PM
Oct 5, 2018 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
Rei366 said:

@Clemance Are yous ure the sentences are different? It could simply be a translation/adaptation difference?

Yes sure. Many things have changed in this anime
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2018

350 by Rabbit_holes »»
Jun 5, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2018

88 by tenmeis »»
May 10, 4:11 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

67 by bubba460z »»
May 5, 4:10 PM

» Any differences?

Mangahater - Apr 27

10 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 29, 2:09 AM

Poll: » Banana Fish Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2018

121 by matheoo41 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.