Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 15, 2018 6:31 AM

Dec 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Fantastic episode.

Schönkopf pulled through big time, it was really thrilling to watch the execution of the plan. The part where he covers for the tattoo of his comrade, the body check and the hostage capture were especially awesome.

It's a shame that the Empire put such incompetent generals in power at such a crucial location. Goes to show that they're upper ranks are corrupted because of Nepotism.

Seems Oberstein managed to escape, well he was the only bright one there after all. That said, he does mention that it'd be easy to pin the Empire's losses on him, wonder if he'll switch sides?

Yang talks about retirement post credits, I doubt he'll be able to retire so easily though.
May 15, 2018 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
Schönkopf pulled out the mission successfully and the FPA captured the fortress. The second Imperial commander who was in charge of the fortress tried to foolishly reclaim it but he was disintegrated by Thor Hammer while Oberstein escaped instead of dying because of his incompetent higherup. And Dominion of Phezzan makes its debut along with its leader Adrian Rubinsky. But wtf with that facial hair? lol For a moment I thought he wasn't bald either.
May 15, 2018 6:52 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
MonkeyDMike said:
Schönkopf pulled out the mission successfully and the FPA captured the fortress. The second Imperial commander who was in charge of the fortress tried to foolishly reclaim it but he was disintegrated by Thor Hammer while Oberstein escaped instead of dying because of his incompetent higherup. And Dominion of Phezzan makes its debut along with its leader Adrian Rubinsky. But wtf with that facial hair? lol For a moment I thought he wasn't bald either.

What was up with those Abraham Lincoln sideburns? I'm gonna have to check that chapter from the novel where he's introduced again.I cannot remember that detail.

This version of Schonkopf seems a bit more introvert than the OVA version, or is it just me?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 15, 2018 6:57 AM

Jul 2017
This was such a tremendous episode. These kind of episodes solidified the original as one of the best shows of all time and in this new version, it was also fantastic.

Schonkopf was fucking awesome and the execution of that plan was very well done. The action also looked really great. The Empire were incompetent with a shitty commander and in the end, failed. Poor Oberstein.

And Yang Wen-li continues to be Yang Wen-li. AKA One of the best characters ever. Nice to see him want to live a normal life again after his success.
May 15, 2018 7:22 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Haven't really been commenting here a lot but this episode was truly amazing, god I love to see good strategies and tactics play out like this

Also, this Oberstein guy is pretty underrated by his peers and now I'm starting to think that this dude will be a huge threat later on since he may be comparable to Yang and Reinhart in terms of their strengths

And that comment that Schonkopf made about Yang's trusting attitude has me worried >.<
May 15, 2018 7:41 AM

Feb 2013
The plan worked like a charm.
May 15, 2018 7:42 AM

Nov 2016
What a hype episode. The infiltration and the space battle +nice OST's were quite something, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Also starting to like Oberstein.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 15, 2018 7:59 AM

Sep 2008
Why Yang fired first and then send message to surrender? Shouldn't he give chance to surrender first before killing few hundred dudes that were on the flank ships?
May 15, 2018 8:10 AM
Jun 2016
I believe he just wanted to let them actually know that rebels are in control and are not bluffing since that commander got bluffed dozens of times probably...

I would t=do the same if I was yang wenly target side flank and make the enemy freak out and retreat
May 15, 2018 8:14 AM
Jun 2016
I only see one problem, and that are the anime audience, they are not watching this! :(

everyone just keeps on watching more stuff that have been done thousands of times before

-_-

Magalo box is another anime which is trying to give new original storylines but most other anime are same thing on repeat.

This show needs more hype, as a fan of the original this is definitely on par with the original! What it looses on character design easily gets made up with the space battles and more depth as compared with the original!
May 15, 2018 8:20 AM
Apr 2018
Surprisingly great adaption here in this episode on the part about taking over
Iserlohn. Ignoring some minor fault, the entire process was even more logical than the novel and the OVA series.

And we finally get to see Rubinsky.
May 15, 2018 8:24 AM

Sep 2010
Now that we are 7 episodes in I must say that I am rather satisfied with what we got. I never had great hopes to begin with especially with only 12 episodes being announced but at the very least Yang and alliance part up till here was really enjoyable watch. I also like how they modernized both the outlook of the technology but also the society as well... the old version might be a story with humanity being capable of galactic travels and colonizing other planets but the alliance society had a feel of the period it was written in.

Now then I assume that the rest of the episodes will be with Reinhard which automatically means I will enjoy them less but hopefully the anime keeps on doing a good job.

On the other side of thing, I became really disappointed in the anime community seeing how little amount of people are watching and enjoying this series... not that this is a series that other animes are familiar to... it's a sad thing to think about but people who enjoy this type of story often don't watch anime do they?
May 15, 2018 8:42 AM

Sep 2017
How is Darling in the FranXX rated higher than this? Seriously!?

Anyway, another great episode. The show is, steadily, capturing the brilliance of the original version (not quite a masterpiece, but definitely has tremendous potential).

Now that Yang has achieved his big military success, its a nice time to transition back to the Empire for the Castrop Rebellion. Let's keep the good episodes a coming.
May 15, 2018 8:56 AM

Jun 2015
What a brilliant episode. The operation is successful as expected, but the execution was amazing. Schönkopf pulled that mission off wonderfully. I'm starting to like Oberstein more, he's seriously underrated by his peers.
May 15, 2018 9:27 AM

Dec 2015
I loved the episode. Don't remember the old OVA anymore. But in the novel there was much less detail. (Or that was later at a point where I haven't read that far yet.)

That background of Schönkopf for example. And how long/detailed they showed the execution of the plan. In the novel they were just brought into the control room and it was mentioned how they even prepared fake ID that didn't get checked and weren't necessary. (If I remember correctly.)

Much better here ... with them nearly getting caught. (The tattoo and the fake ID that actually got checked but then the commander wanted to see them quickly.)

Music was used fine. Liked the atmosphere. Also the visuals (fortress outside and inside) were nice. At the end with Yang that also seemed like they made it a bit more detailed and impressive in the anime - compared to the novel. I need to check that section again. I don't think he used the Thor Hammer that often (or at all) before going straight for advising them to surrender/flee and attacking the flag ship.

Phezzan the short dialogue which in the novel was after the battle at the start- with Boltic and Rubinsky - was shown now and adapted to the capture of Iserlohn. (After that in the novel there was a different mention. But just that Rubinsky was in a economy briefing and got the news. The stuff on collecting info about Yang was earlier. They combined that.)

Liked the old Rubinsky more. New one is "okay". But the voice actor is fitting. They should have said a bit more about Phezzan. (Maybe this will happen soon when Rubinsky gets screen time again.)

Next episode will be only about the Castrop Rebellion - according to the preview. I think in the old OVA it was shown pretty detailed as well. In the novel it got only a few pages. But I like this pacing. Fine adaption so far. I thought they would show Iserlohn only half of this episode and then going to the reactions for the next half episode and maybe the Castrop rebellion only at the start of the next episode. Instead of doing it this detailed. I guess after that much screen time of the alliance it is a good idea to give more time to the empire side again.
May 15, 2018 9:46 AM

Oct 2013
As someone who considers the original OVA as the best anime ever made, and certainly my favourite by far. Initially looking at the designs of characters and the PVs which emphasised cheesy lines...

I expected this adaptation to be absolute garbage lol.

Right now im just euphoric at how good this is compared to my expectations. Of course I still prefer the original in most ways(eg, less cheesy dialogue, voice actors were better, the music for sure, designs, writing, the history documentary style) Although literally for a modern audience they could not have adapted this better.

I preferred the 'harder' takeover of Iserlohn from the OVA though, where they were fighting a lot more in the control room/power room/other places. Seemed more realistic rather than just capturing a commander (which also happened) and everyone just stopping resistance. (although I might be mis-remembering).

The saddest thing for me right now is that despite this great attempt to make this more appealing for modern anime fans, this anime is still very obscure and doesn't get much attention. I really hope this succeeds in Japan so they get to adapt all the novels... but I doubt it seeing how popular this is compared to cheesy bs cliche anime this season..

In any case so far this seems to be on a 'masterpiece' level to me. Although I would have prefered Rubinsky to appear earlier. Still shocked they didn't f it up too much

I am a human.
May 15, 2018 9:53 AM
Apr 2016
Tsukaji said:
Why Yang fired first and then send message to surrender? Shouldn't he give chance to surrender first before killing few hundred dudes that were on the flank ships?

That is indeed a good question. Did he think he should show force first, and then negotiate? Did he exact revenge against his "enemies"? Or did he want to scare the enemies to make them retreat without further ado? It certainly seems unwarranted. Schonkopf seems to think so as well.
Honestly, it seems out of place a little. I guess they wanted the "no winning the war without casualties" kind of story. And then there is this good moment of reflection on Schonkopf, who did not exactly like the first two barrages, but can't disagree about the third one. Wang in his remarks to him seemed to have been trying to justify himself, and apologize to Schonkopf. I certainly like how they are being shaped, and I absolute stand with Schonkopf and his questioning demeanour.

Also, Russians, right? We got Allies, we got Nazies... time for some scheming Russians! Ayyyyyy, history books.
AppoX said:
As someone who considers the original OVA as the best anime ever made, and certainly my favourite by far.

Reality check...
last time I checked it was Gurren Lagann? Hmmm...
Re:formed
May 15, 2018 9:56 AM

Mar 2017
Another episode about the FPA, I'm starting to miss Reinhard lol. Nice episode. Not much to say about it really. The visuals were amazing this episode. Can't wait for the next one!
May 15, 2018 10:14 AM

Feb 2017
These episodes pass so fast to me, feels like they last 5 minutes. Really great episode. I really wish more people would watch this show. Yang's plan worked flawlessly thanks to his genius and Walter's courage, but also thanks to the stupidity of Empire's generals. Really shows how putting incompetent people at wrong positions and not listening to others can be disastrous. We also got a glimpse of Phezzan.

I also greatly appreciate how great backgrounds look in this show. Inside of Iserolhn looked especially great this episode. So many wallpaper-worthy shots. Animation of Thor Hammer also looked fabulous.
May 15, 2018 11:46 AM

Jul 2015
Anything with Rubinsky is instant 5/5.

Time for some avatar change. Rubinsky looks like a 19 century merchant/banker. Maybe that's the idea.

May 15, 2018 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Adrian Rubinsky's design is hilarious.
May 15, 2018 1:25 PM

Sep 2009
Honestly I feel like this is the hardest the lack of any narration has hit. At no point do you really feel the sheer scale of what they're actually trying to do here. It's barely even established what Iserlohn is here, let alone the ridiculous amount of history it's had, and what its fall means to the Empire.

This wasn't a bad episode by any stretch - in fact, I'd say it was a good one. But it could have been a great one, and I feel like this was a missed opportunity.

Also, this show isn't content to go a single week without doing some weird shit to someone's character design, huh? Those mutton chops sure are something.
May 15, 2018 1:35 PM

Feb 2008
A daring plan indeed, to think that it would actually succeed rather smoothly. The new nickname bestowed on Yang is undeniably an apt one.
May 15, 2018 1:47 PM

Sep 2011
Those memories of Schenkopp with his grandfather were great to see, even though they weren't the happiest. I don't know if they are on the novel, but I'm always glad to see this remake bringing something new.

Also the capture didn't feel as impactful, I was wondering how they would handle the blood of the battle, but it was over too soon.

And the feel was different, but it was just as good when Yang said it would be "the final shot" as he decided to sink the flagship.

I missed the "TEIKOKU BANZAI" from the diehard fool commander. lol

I feel for Oberstein with that commander, but he made the right choice by escaping insted of dying like a fool.
May 15, 2018 1:49 PM

Sep 2016
Rubinsky's side hair pisses me off
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 15, 2018 1:54 PM

Jun 2013
AppoX said:

I preferred the 'harder' takeover of Iserlohn from the OVA though, where they were fighting a lot more in the control room/power room/other places.
Yea would've been great to see the Rosen Ritter in battle. Maybe they are saving all the blood for the movies. Instead we got Schönkopf's flashbacks!
May 15, 2018 1:56 PM

Sep 2014
Fezzan finally made an appearance, yay! Rubinskis design got butchered like all the others, nay..

Aside from that, I liked how this looked way less of an asspull then the original LoGH, but at the same time, it looks less impressive. But the space cgi was not completely bad this time, I liked the backgrounds. Idk though if I like Iserlohns look. Lets see how future fights will be animated here.

PS: I understand that its for the viewers to empathise with the characters, but really Schönkopf, you ask the guys who are on a potential suicide mission with you how they defected from the empire now? Not like you have seen those dudes before or anything.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 15, 2018 2:11 PM
Jan 2017
Great episode. Now time to get back to Empire's side, it's been 3-4 continuous alliance episodes.
May 15, 2018 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
that was one-sided massacre for using brilliant well-thought strategy and made the episode blast from start to end. Not to mention, Thor's Hammer was something glorious to see and also Schenkopp's action was fun to watch and Oberstein didn't got that much screentime but yet so interesting whenever we got to see him.
Overall, brilliant episode (and surprised this episode has been consistently better coming on weekly instead which original used to come monthly I think. Also GiTS both s1,s2 episode came out biweekly which is from same studio so I thought this remake should have followed this way.)

removed-userMay 15, 2018 2:56 PM
May 15, 2018 4:07 PM

Oct 2008
I'm still very much in love with the animation when it comes to the spaceships and battles in general. Amazing style! The background music is epic too.

I don't care that they changed the infiltration mission around from the OVA, but I hated how the story kept pausing to flashbacks of Yang and team explaining each scene, as if the writers assumed the audience was too stupid to figure out what was going on in the action scenes with Schonkopf. It really brought the pacing down too slow and made it kind of boring to watch considering it was a huge victory for the Alliance.

Good episode, but I think the infiltration mission was more dramatic and exciting in the OVA. And the OVA made better use of Schonkopf having an "injury". It seemed a bit unnecessary here, but I guess the argument is that it helped disguise him more in Neue.

Interesting new look for Rubinsky. These new designs are amusing; I like most of them.
raynaninjaMay 15, 2018 4:13 PM
May 15, 2018 4:35 PM

Feb 2015
Another really good episode.
May 15, 2018 5:07 PM

Sep 2012
Goddammit I couldn't be happier with this new adaptation. I just hope whole story will be adapted eventually. I happen to think that each time the new episode coming out.
May 15, 2018 7:27 PM

Mar 2016
those killer sideburns tho
Aure0linMay 15, 2018 7:32 PM
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
May 15, 2018 8:29 PM

Sep 2012
If I recall correctly, the old OVA was more detailed in this battle. For example, in the previous episode, when they were talking about the fortress itself, the huge cannon wasn't even mentioned, even though it's the most important point about it and they were relying on taking over it to win.

Also, the cannon's reach wasn't even mentioned here, as a big part of the plan at the end was pulling them back to within the cannon's reach. Oberstein even mentions it's a trap, but they ended up not explaining what exactly it was about.
May 15, 2018 8:33 PM
Dec 2014
Alright episode, but it really lacks at describing how cool and important the fortress is to the war from both sides. Did they even mention that it is covered in a protective layer of liquid metal?
May 15, 2018 8:42 PM

Jul 2009
Too bad we didn't get to see the ikemen break out the axes to slaughter people lol

also seriously where is Julian's cat!? I demand his[?] appearance!
May 15, 2018 9:10 PM

Jun 2010
smackells said:
Alright episode, but it really lacks at describing how cool and important the fortress is to the war from both sides. Did they even mention that it is covered in a protective layer of liquid metal?

I'm not a big fan of this episode either, I was enjoying this re imagined series up to this point but now I feel like they have gone down the wrong direction.

They introduced a bunch of new technical details in order to modernize their plan for new fans which will probably age just as poorly as the original and won't add as much when compared to what was cut. They sacrificed all these key scenes and details which really emphasized a lot of interesting themes that were critical to the ova's success.

I also thought the pacing was pretty bad, they pretty much just bum rushed through the episode (but again that's probably cause they cut a lot compared to the original ova)

Atmosphere was good though, good gradual build up of tension, so I'll give it that. 7/10
May 15, 2018 10:34 PM
Sep 2017
A really decent episode.. Yang showing his his leadership skills.

Reinhard is still be MC.. in my opinion.

May 15, 2018 11:18 PM

Sep 2013
Great episode! I was curious how they were going to take over the fortress and initially I found it underwhelming, mostly because I can't help but constantly compare this to the original OVA and really enjoyed the process more in the original. But after thinking a little more on it I began to appreciate it. The strategy used in this version was more consistent with Yang's character, as he doesn't like killing people. It makes sense for him to come up with a plan like this one.
May 15, 2018 11:44 PM

Dec 2013
Schenkopp did a good job of infiltrating the fortress.

Poor Obernstein had to flee due to his shitty commander.

There’s no way the military will let someone like Yang retire so young.
May 16, 2018 3:02 AM

Oct 2015
FMmatron said:
What a hype episode. The infiltration and the space battle +nice OST's were quite something, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Also starting to like Oberstein.

just remember, oberstein is always right
So embarrased with Tensura fans and the fandom, how have we degraded
May 16, 2018 4:03 AM
Apr 2011
The episode went like 5 mins for me. Guess I should go find the OVAs to watch it first but I am not sure whether I could take the older art and animation(dropped Gundam Wing after a three episodes.....lol).
May 16, 2018 5:12 AM
Apr 2016
Everyone startled by the Rubinsky's design should remember that they are Russians - it is a tribute to the Russian classical period of 18th century, where such face hair was welcomed by almost everyone - Pushkin, one of the most renowned Russian, was a walking advertisement for those sideburns.
Re:formed
May 16, 2018 5:57 AM
Jul 2011
@Daniel_Naumov
should remember that they are Russians

For me Phezzan never represented Russia, more like Portugal or Holland when they had colonies and trade routes all over the world.

Pushkin

I think many Europeans had similar sideburns in that epoch - this was the trend.

Also you should know those things why trolling?

megaloadMay 16, 2018 6:00 AM
May 16, 2018 6:41 AM
Mar 2012
Lincoln, Beethoven & DeathStar in one episode, amazing.
The ship interior hull designs & cannon are beautiful.
Liking Yang & Schenkopp quite a lot now, really cool & risky infiltration.
May 16, 2018 7:03 AM

Jan 2015
I'm really mad that I didn't get to see the axe slaughter remade.
May 16, 2018 9:14 AM
Jul 2018
Rubinsky's design is making me feel frustrated to the core.
May 16, 2018 1:05 PM

Sep 2009
Roguedere said:
Rubinsky's design is making me feel frustrated to the core.
Are you frustrated?
May 16, 2018 3:21 PM

Aug 2014
Decent episode, not sure how I feel about those mutton chops on Rubinsky >.> also, I wish this anime had more variation to their ost. It's like they only have one song for the battle sequences.
May 16, 2018 6:15 PM

Oct 2008
Truly magnificent episode!
All the plan went well and swiftly without any problems!
The only one who understood what's happening was von Oberstein that's why he fled and left him admiral.
Looks like more Leaders are getting interested with Yang!
5/5.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

12 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 3:28 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.