Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 1, 2014 6:58 PM

Dec 2009
This was really good, it's one of his simpler movies but still wonderful story telling and detail. Was sweet and adventurous at the same time.

It was a joy to watch.

May 11, 2014 1:10 AM

Jan 2014
I found the movie very beautiful, not rushed whatsoever. ^.^
The art was magnificient and the sceneries just blew me away!
May 13, 2014 12:59 AM

Dec 2012
Probably the best adaptation of Mary Norton's 'The Borrowers' yet
Aug 10, 2014 10:37 AM

Nov 2010
Bitter sweet ending to a mostly boring yet wonderful movie
The borrowers/stealers didn't get to me, but the artwork and detail was great
Niya the cat reminded me of Totoro

The kid with the heart problem made things interesting along with Arrietty
Jun 18, 2015 5:15 AM
Aug 2014
After finishing this film, I assets myself and I think I should stop bullying small animals and insects.
Dec 29, 2015 3:43 PM

May 2012
This movie was absolutely amazing. Such simple idea and story... Great. OST was also great. The movie did what it wanted to do almost flawlessly and had that Ghibli charm to it which was nice.
Dec 30, 2015 7:44 AM
Jun 2013
There wasn't a lot of setting up for the antagonist. I was confused as to why she was suddenly acting malicious towards the little people and went as far as locking Sho in his room; it seemed really out of character up to that point since she had been nothing but sweet before. At the very least I'll say I didn't get the impression that she was that mean from the beginning.

I would have liked to see the maid get reprimanded or at least see her actions be directly addressed by Sho or the head of the household. The lady of the house made it clear that the family had supported the little people in the past so I was a bit surprised and disappointed that she didn't show any signs of shock or anger.

Good presentation with the animation, the sound was decent/good, but there was a very very weak conflict to resolution for me. And I like Arrietty but I felt the other characters lacked a little depth, development, and or likability for me.

7/10
Feb 9, 2016 4:59 AM

Apr 2015
The animation and sound are amazing. The ending was kinda bittersweet. I would've liked it even more if Arrietty didn't have to leave, but I still loved it nonetheless.

8/10

“Even if the attention isn’t forever, I’ll keep singing.”
Feb 23, 2016 2:08 PM

Feb 2016
"Arriettys Song by Cecile Corbel" is one of the best japanesse song I 've heard
9/10
Mar 9, 2016 1:30 PM

Jul 2009
It wasn't among the best Ghibli films I've seen but it was fairly decent and not a bad adaptation of The Borrowers. The StudioCanal dub was confusing since all the voice actors were incredibly English which made me think there were a lot of anachronisms (such as the green tea and cicada sounds etc.) but it turns out it was meant to be set in west Tokyo. The story was a bit lightweight but I enjoyed the characters, especially Arrietty herself, and the animation was good. Overall 7/10.
Jul 5, 2016 4:20 PM

Jun 2015
I've always wanted to watch it since it was cinemas. I wasn't disappointed. It was wonderful.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Dec 28, 2016 1:52 AM

Jun 2013
Simple story but very enjoyable.

Sho was kind of an asshole telling Arrietty that she might be the only one left and might die soon.

I wish there was more of Spiller and Arrietty interacting. I wanted to see more little people.

That caretaker who trapped Arrietty's mom is also an asshole.
臭い-
Feb 6, 2017 5:15 AM

Apr 2014
Ugh, I wish this was at least 20 or 30min longer..
Feb 17, 2017 3:52 PM

Jul 2009
Really great movie! Such an interesting concept with AMAZING music. I really liked both the OP and ED theme as well as the BGM. Art was as good as usual too. I really thought the plot was quite interested and it was a very engaging movie, moreso than I thought it would be since I don't hear about this movie very often. Characters were mostly likeable as well, just didn't like Sho much because well he was just kind of there lol. Just goes to show the not so popular movies are great too (especially considering one of my fav Ghibli movies is Only Yesterday)! 9/10
Apr 19, 2017 8:40 AM

May 2015
Solid movie with great music. 7/10.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jun 2, 2017 10:24 AM

Jul 2015
Simple movie yet beautiful and sad.
I like how the movie tell the story from Arrietty's point of view, like what does she see and think on human things and stuff.
The animation is gorgeous, full of details, as expected from studio Ghibli. Sounds are good in my opinion thou kinda weak if I compare to another Ghibli's anime that I had watched before.
The story is a slow paced one but enjoyable. Arrietty and Shou are such a great character, Niya the tsun cat, and Haru the creepy one who caught Arrietty's mom. Some supporting characters and Spiller, the little guy that I like the most even thou he doesn't get much screen time.
In the end, I feel the ending is not complete yet. The first time I hope Ghibli make a sequel of Arrietty about her adventures.

A solid movie from Ghibli indeed, 8/10 from me.
Jul 21, 2017 4:36 AM

Oct 2015
its a pity they had to move though, in which i dont understand.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 3, 2017 12:12 PM

Nov 2012
Seriously..., was that it?

Like I know children in pre-school who could come up with better endings to stories.

People actually praise this level of writing?
Sep 22, 2017 11:56 PM

Jan 2015
Such a sweet and cute movie, and with Ghibli's animation quality that I have no word to say how great it is.
Really liked it!
Sep 24, 2017 1:30 PM

Apr 2017
Not one of Ghiblis best. It took a while for the movie to really get started, and the ending could have been better.

Still gonna give it 8/10.
Jan 19, 2018 11:24 AM

Apr 2015
man this anime is awesome, sasuga studio ghibli!
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Feb 4, 2018 10:04 AM

Nov 2011
As mentioned previously, of the two films seen today by Studio Ghibli, this is what I liked best. The narrative was not excellent in the final, giving a finish that leaves a bitter taste, but it was very touching despite the plot was so simple. The soundtrack hit me immediately, with really catchy and beautiful sounds; the ending was pleasant to hear. The backgrounds were really beautiful and very detailed in showing the ingenuity of the gnomes. The story, although simple, denoted a certain maturity in its aspects and poignant. As reiterated in the other film by Studio Ghibli, I did not believe that I would witness a bitter sweet ending, albeit very open. I think I will evaluate from now on otherwise the Studio Ghibli, if you can also make films with non-sweetened finals, it is good that you know how mature their works can be.

8.85/10
Feb 23, 2018 12:32 PM

Apr 2016
Good that i started with those Ghibli movies, glad that i started.
Apr 19, 2018 2:15 PM
Aug 2017
This was such a cute movie with such a beautiful soundtrack. Both Arrietty and Sho are great characters and I thought Arrietty's design was unique, especially her hair. She felt somehow different than most anime girls.

Her mom was a bit annoying though. Makes you wonder why her dad married a woman so different from him. Probably because there aren't many Borrowers left and they didn't have much of a choice xd

And boy I hope Sho survives the surgery and lives a happy life like Arrietty said. I'm sure they'd meet again someday...
May 14, 2018 3:35 PM

May 2016
The most unrealistic part about this movie isn't the little fairy people living undetected, but that cat not being evil (as all cats secretly are..) and butchering the lil fairy girl when they were alone together.

On the whole this movie was good though. Simple and cute, and with a nice message on humanity's impact on nature, and the evil versus good side of us (the old maid versus the young boy).
But still, I didn't find it all too entertaining. Maybe it was the lack of villain, or the lack of some characters' depth. I'd give it a 7/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 8, 2018 3:51 AM

Dec 2015
That was a good movie. I especially liked the first third, it was just so well done. I loved the music, it had some fantastic scores tbh. However, I felt like the movie was incomplete. As if they planned to make it longer but halfway they decided not to.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Nov 12, 2018 10:00 AM
Jan 2016
This movie is really good and for me, the music is one of the best from Studio Ghibli.

I just hope Sho and Arrietty meet again someday. I really like both of them 😊

9/10
Dec 2, 2018 4:13 PM

Sep 2014

It was a very slow adventure, with lovely OST and animation. Very relaxing I guess.

Again an incredibly beautiful world Ghibli created here. But I do feel the same faces syndrome hits me harder than usual and the characters just felt less detailed compared to the rest. Is it finally time for Ghiblis artstyle to feel outdated? Or is it the contrast of plain characters to the in depth world and backgrounds?

Storywise I guess they followed the book, idk. I dont see how the part about him having heart problems was relevant. Seems unfinished.

As for the feeling or style, it reminded of Kiki's Delivery Service.

Overall it was a bit shallow for my taste, I can see this working well as a family movie like most Ghibli movies, but its not really on the same level as others.
I guess thats the difference between Miyazaki and Ghibli?

Possibly this could have worked better as a shorter movie, its not really stretched, but it doesnt have the depth to back up the length of a standard movie.
I rated this 7/10, but just because I dont want to give a Ghibli movie a 6.

PS: They have a very interesting definition of "borrowing".
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 14, 2019 12:30 PM

Nov 2018
Not so good as like others ghibli movies.
Mar 1, 2019 2:20 AM

Nov 2018
Arrietty sure has a hot dad (wait what.
Was a very good movie, didn't expect it to end so bittersweet but I found it fascinating how hard they have to do in order to live and live on. Shou's role and the impact the borrowers n esp. Arrietty had on him was very nice, too. The movie flowed seamlessly and is memorable enough.
Mar 4, 2019 4:30 PM

Jun 2015
Beautiful movie, exploring that setting was really interesting and enjoyable. If anything, the relatively uneventful run of the movie leaves you wanting more, precisely because of the good job they make introducing you to the world.

One downside for me was Haru being the main source of conflict in the movie. Her reaction to finding these people didn't seem very normal. Also Shou choosing to speculate about the destiny of Arrietty' species in one of their first actual conversations was quite out of character. Yep he's sick and gloomy, but not knowing about their existence doesn't necessarely imply they're going extinct. Making that connection and jumping to that conclusion is odd, and maybe a weird way to capture a message the rest of the movie wasn't trying to convey.
UnowenMar 4, 2019 4:36 PM
May 25, 2019 10:07 AM

Sep 2018
Films that despite the little involvement that can arouse and the narrative is not really compelling, still manages to give that magical atmosphere that is expected from Studio Ghibli. The narrative rhythm is slow and the tones are calm, the most agitated moments, if we want to define them as such, are little compared to other Ghiblish film scenes. In addition to the beautifully designed and striking backgrounds to describe the world of the "Rubacchiotti", the message you want to convey is beautiful: diversity, even the most marked, may not be an obstacle. Pleasant to listen to the soundtrack with opening and ending performed by the Breton singer Cécile Corbel; above all the ending in the Italic idiom, it turns out to be much more beautiful in spite of that performed in Japanese language.

8/10
Oct 12, 2019 8:28 PM

Oct 2016
I'm not sure why I consistently love these Studio Ghibli films, but man do they manage to do so much right.
This and "When Marnie Was There" easily have the best rainy day sceneries ever captured in anime. They just nail the colors, the sound, the atmosphere everything.
Rainy days aside, this film had a lot to offer. My only complaint would be that I didn't feel the relationship that was supposed to be there between Shou and Arrietty.
I loved the way exploring the house worked for these Borrowers. I loved the mistakes made by the characters. I loved how real everyone and everything felt.
This was a really good watch.

Jan 24, 2020 7:47 AM

Mar 2017
Man, watched this already but I still can't get over with the ending.
It was so bittersweet. The visuals and sounds made it even more melancholic.

After I watched this movie several years before, I somehow believed that borrowers were real because I kept on losing stuff which I know where I exactly putted them.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Mar 22, 2020 9:25 AM

Nov 2019
Beautiful art and animation. 7/10
Apr 28, 2020 1:11 PM
Oct 2019
Rewatched the movie after probably 10 years
I didn't remember anything exept for the beautiful Arietty's song ❤️

Re-discovering Sho brought so many feelings... He really is a good boy and I felt very sad when he was saying he believed he would not survive his surgery. The open, bittersweet ending leaves me hoping he'll make through and he'll be able to meet Arietty again in the future...
Still, once again a beautiful, moving work from Studio Ghibli
May 10, 2020 10:45 AM

Jun 2017
What a bittersweet ending.😖😞 I guess it ought to end that way. Little people are like a myth to the humans. Some swore they're true, and some don't believe it. That's the mystery about them because they don't want to appear in front of humans. Because of that reason, it's as if they don't even exist.

It's sad that they had to leave. The house they were living in was already great. But I wish they could have lived in that doll house instead. After all...that doll house was bought just for the little people. If only the family could just make friends with Shou. He can protect them as long as he lives. It would be nice to know that there is a sense of security for them. - As long as that maid is kicked out of course!😑

Even though Arriety left, Shou was able to grasp some courage to live on. Arriety inspired him that being little is not a reason to stop believing in your self; and to survive despite the obstacles.
KoniginElleMay 10, 2020 10:53 AM

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
May 16, 2020 2:14 PM

Feb 2020
I must admit that the hype made me except a bit more, however that doesn't mean I didn't like this movie. In contrary actually, I liked it quite a lot !
I liked almost all the characters ("almost" because Haru exists, even though she was pretty funny), especially the mom, because it's the first time I see an overly worried mom character being actually endearing instead of annoying.
Arrietty herself was very likable and endearing, though I didn't find her particularly outstanding. I really liked how she totally behaves like the 14 years old she is though ! Too many shows make 14 years old behave whether like kids or like young adults.
I also liked Shô, I didn't find him to be particularly outstanding either however his character touched me.
I really got attached to those two, as well as Arrietty's family.
The story also was an adorable one, very predictable but it worked !
And the animation was so smooth, it was very satisfying (well, as expected from a Ghibli movie).
I also loved the soundtrack, it kinda reminded me of the Tinkerbell movies ! And the ending song was very good.
I give this movie a 7/10. If I was rating it based solely on enjoyment, I think I would give it a 8 but at the end, I think it's just good. But a very solid kind of good, it's just nothing truly amazing.
For exemple, I think the characters could've been developed a bit more, and the story itself was pretty simple, not a lot happened until the third act. But it didn't prevent this movie to be very enjoyable and touching, so a 7 seems like a fair score to me !
Jun 5, 2020 2:31 AM

Apr 2009
This is my favorite after Spirited Away.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 21, 2020 10:46 PM

Aug 2018
A very great Ghibli movie that was made by not very known Director. People like Yonebayashi are definitely proof that Ghibli is in good hands for the future. Loved the ending which leaves audience to decide if the surgery will be succesfull or not and overall display of daily live of mini people which was very creative. Its a good and a little underrated piece of animation that I would come back one day to watch again for sure.

8.2/10
Sep 28, 2020 1:21 PM

Jun 2017
The animation was phenomenal. Background was beautifully detailed. The life and hardships of the borrowers was excellently portrayed. I liked it more than spirited away. 8.5/10.
Oct 28, 2020 3:37 AM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
It was a really nice movie. Kinda cute :D
Sad that they never did a sequel as fas as I know

Nov 18, 2020 12:37 PM
May 2019
I am completly addicted in every moment they're serving tea. It's so nice they drink only a 2 drops. And the animation ?? So smooth and realistic the tea drop "dropping".

Thinking now, I'm addicted to every scene they have draw drops, of rain, of tea, of dew... Awesome animation, awesome backgroung, great colors, great soundtrack and perfect original song at the end.

The only thing I missed were the sound effects. They could have abused this, since we do not pay attention to the sound of the minimum (grass, insects, plant picking, falling sugar cubes ...).
SorofiaNov 18, 2020 12:44 PM
Dec 28, 2020 10:46 PM

Mar 2012
i heard about how the soundtrack and music scores for this movie came about before watching it and after doing so it became completely endearing to me. the soundtrack matches the colours and the ambience of this so well.
and although the story is nothing special, the attention to detail and the world the little ones live in is so well done and so full of details i think the movie's worth the watch just for that.
lovely and relaxing.
Dec 30, 2020 11:15 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really interesting ideas and the world-building is also very nice, I especially liked the backgrounds, most of them are just beautiful, like all the details for the rooms etc
Mar 24, 2021 1:08 AM
Jul 2014
Was I the only one who kept saying f*ck Haru?
Apr 23, 2021 3:11 PM
Oct 2020
ahh the details, so beautiful that I could cry
Nov 24, 2021 8:42 AM

May 2021
My cat is in a Ghibli movie 😹😻

Feb 18, 2022 10:48 PM

Jun 2011
It's ok. But it feels unfinished. Like I need a sequel or something
Mar 6, 2022 2:26 PM

Feb 2020
Fine movie..

6/10
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Update on Sho after the movie's end

mangalicker94 - Dec 16, 2023

3 by johneaston »»
Dec 17, 2023 6:33 AM

» Absolutely perfect for people starting watching anime with J-subs

RudeRedis - Jul 8, 2023

2 by HinataaRei »»
Jul 13, 2023 11:41 AM

» How is the dub?

ovoon7 - Feb 17, 2012

22 by caprisan »»
Mar 6, 2021 4:01 PM

» The Secret World of Arriety ..... Music Video?

mylovelyfate - Mar 9, 2012

5 by Umbrya »»
Mar 9, 2012 3:42 PM

» Just Saw this in Theatres

Rasco - Feb 28, 2012

2 by Rasco »»
Mar 4, 2012 11:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.