Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Carole & Tuesday
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 31, 2019 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Tbh, getting invited by a legendary artist is a big deal. Carole and Tuesday are still pretty fresh in their careers so I think it's important to make the right choices.

Quite a relaxing episode imo with a serene feeling. It's nice to see Carole and Tuesday taking some time in their life to just enjoy life. The piano song this episode was also quite enchanting to hear.
Jul 31, 2019 9:35 AM

Nov 2007
The duo learned to have professional and training from recording w. the producer.

Politician doesn't seem to believe her son.

Seeing earth like moon...

Getting invited by a legendary person... His song suddenly.

He/She is mysterious yet friendly person. He/she's just have physical problem that has many legends. He/she invited them because he/she heard their song. After telling them what he/she wants them to do for singing, he/she went into a long sleep.

25:05 next.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 1, 2019 8:20 AM

Jun 2015
mars' trump is getting on my nerves

Also, u can't see the earth from mars like that, it should be an infinitesimal dot
They all feel the same adjust to the pain..like tears in the rain..

Aug 1, 2019 8:27 AM

Jan 2011
IAintAllBad said:

Also, u can't see the earth from mars like that, it should be an infinitesimal dot

I laughed about that. Could be BoJo as well though.

Yea, thats more like you would see the Earth from the Moon, rather than Mars :)
Aug 1, 2019 8:42 AM

Aug 2018
"Make Earth great again"

Aug 1, 2019 9:04 AM

Feb 2014
Desmond's song was enchanting. What a godly voice.

Btw does anyone know the signs on the floor. Seems like some great people came out there.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 1, 2019 10:30 AM

May 2018
Strange guy: lemme sing you two a final song. lol i dead

but seriously a good episode
Aug 1, 2019 10:30 AM

Feb 2018
This was somewhat a philosophical episode. Desmond's song was good, C&T were lucky to meet him on his last song

I wonder how the political drama will affect C&T
TsubasavoAug 1, 2019 11:02 AM
Aug 1, 2019 10:43 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Fairly Good episode, this time around.

Looks like Carole's mother is rolling with the anti-Earth momentum but the freelance journalist there is definitely looking to disrupt that. Looking forward to seeing how that goes! Good to see Carole's brother being a little aggressive for her sake though.

Meanwhile, Carole & Tuesday's first single is well-received and it's good to know that considering they'd to retake a staggering 52 times. A little sad that we didn't get to see more of Producer and that interesting Band this episode though. Anyway, it seems that their singing has caught the eyes of another legendary musician in the business and he/she was quite the unique person indeed. Seriously though, Mars' sunlight affect hormones to the point where gender is even affected, now that's scary!

Some soothing music from the legend himself but it seems as though it cost him his life eventually. Good point he managed to get across his point though, rest in peace. Carole & Tuesday are yet to understand the true meaning behind music but this will surely open up a different world for them now.

On another note, that scene of Gus waiting for his name to called out too as a guest was hilarious! Got to love these subtle Gus moments.

Looking forward to the next episode! I wonder what kind of next big thing Alexa is cooking up at the moment.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 1, 2019 11:10 AM

Dec 2015
IAintAllBad said:

Not exactly an "infinitesimal dot", I have seen Mars from Earth and it just looks like a large star.
Looking at Earth from Mars it would appear to be a very large star but you still wouldn't be able to make out the water and land like we see in C&T
Aug 1, 2019 11:22 AM

Oct 2012
Man, they are really pushing their politics way too hard. Never thought I would see any anime mirror our modern world problems so blatantly.

Anyway, didn't really liked this episode much, whole plot about Desmond felt like mindfuck for the sole purpose to make this episode look deep and even though I kinda liked his intro song (well, he was probably modelled after David Bowie), the rest of the episode felt really slow and boring thanks to its ephermal sleep-inducing atmosphere.

In the end, he just felt another random guy with little no impact to overall story and even if they guy he was talking about was Tuesday's dad, the plot of both girls still moved exactly nowhere (apart from the politics which seems like the main topic of the show right now in the second cour rather than Carole and Tuesday's journey.

Also, the fact about embryo he was talking about is not true and the radiation mentioned is just an excuse for way to many effeminate characters around. And it's not consistent - how come some people are affected and some not? This is just another example how everyting bends just for the sake of the story in this series.

inb4 - they really leave the Mars and head towards the Earth in the end, which will tie into real life concerts of both singers.
Aug 1, 2019 11:55 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I loved Desmond's voice and his songs. So ethereal. The OST of this show should be unreal if they include all the songs we're hearing.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 1, 2019 12:05 PM
Nov 2018
Desmond knows it's time for him to rest after hearing C & T song. The way he had to live, his senses are on different level. Meanwhile Valerie is doing the kinda anti earth thing. This two different events on this same day will have to interconnect later. Earth looks beautiful and innocent from distance though. That may be why they like to make wish upon it. :^)

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Aug 1, 2019 12:21 PM
Apr 2013
Desmond was such a nice character. I hope there is a nice character influence that will come back in the near future.
Aug 1, 2019 1:11 PM
Jan 2019
What a touching and emotional episode, of those who touch your heart, personally, I consider it one of the best in this anime. I was about to cry, and I'm sure that if Desmond had had a little more time in the series, I would have really cried. He is one of the few characters that has earned my love in the fastest way in the anime. The words he mentioned about the music and soul of living beings, is one of the most beautiful things I've heard.
This episode has become one of the reasons why I love this anime. A fictional story that leads us along the path of the true meaning of music.

"Music is a particularly important nutrient for the soul."

Ps: The political issue about Mars and Earth is something serious. I'm intrigued to see how that will end.
Aug 1, 2019 1:30 PM
Jan 2012
This episode was true art and reminded us all that we are in fact watching a Watanabe work.

Desmond was a very interesting character.

Mich666 said:
In the end, he just felt another random guy with little no impact to overall story and even if they guy he was talking about was Tuesday's dad, the plot of both girls still moved exactly nowhere

I don't understand what connection can be made to Tuesday's dad. Desmond was talking about a young guy he was once in love with who died young. Tuesday's dad is supposedly living on Earth somewhere. I think her mom or brother would have told her if he was dead, and it seems a little messed up to imagine Desmond is eternally in love with someone who went on to marry and have kids with someone else, so I have no idea how you made this connection.

The music of this episode was just stunning. Can't wait to hear the full versions. This episode was really thoughtful and inspiring, but like others I am pretty nervous where this political plotline is going. It's way too on-the-nose with what is going on in a lot of developed nations currently (though the US seems to be the one being caricatured with the Clinton/Trump hybrid). I really hope this show continues to mostly stay about music and what the girls' journey means, not get too deeply invested in politics that will not age well.

We'll see, I guess.

Also, apparently Desmond didn't die, but went into a coma. I wonder why? That's so strange. Is his sickness linked to the radiation that causes androgyny I wonder?
Aug 1, 2019 1:48 PM

Jul 2016
This was kind of an interesting one.

First off, I absolutely love the short montage at the beginning showing how far Army of Two has spread. I'm glad busking is still a thing in the far future but I'm surprised TikTok's still popular. So far, no one else in this thread seems to have talked about this bit which I was kind of sad about since I think it's the best part of the episode, but oh well.

The stuff with Desmond was interesting too. I feel like the show might be going in the direction of meeting a new, interesting character each episode representing some different aspect of the music industry, at least for the next few episodes. The idea of their androgyny was interesting as well. It'll be interesting to hear the responses from trans and non-binary viewers about the character.

Speaking of hearing certain people's opinions though, one thing I did know before going in that kind of pissed me off was that Bones outsourced part of this episode to another studio (Studio LAN) and then didn't credit them for their work. That's pretty shitty and I expect better from a studio as good as Bones.
ChilliePeppersAug 1, 2019 2:34 PM
Aug 1, 2019 2:04 PM

Oct 2012
ShiningLion said:
I don't understand what connection can be made to Tuesday's dad. Desmond was talking about a young guy he was once in love with who died young. Tuesday's dad is supposedly living on Earth somewhere. I think her mom or brother would have told her if he was dead, and it seems a little messed up to imagine Desmond is eternally in love with someone who went on to marry and have kids with someone else, so I have no idea how you made this connection.

This scene on pic below was clear flag to me. The fact that Tuesday remembers the album which belonged to her father (which was Desmond coincidently) can either mean the Desmond is her father and then this would be his mother's memento hidden from Tuesday's eyes or that her father and him actually knew other in the past, and that Desmond was possibly the reason why he left them. Her mother hatred of the Earth needs to have some origin too and it's most likely tied to her husband too. Also he was talking about things that happened roughly 20 years ago and Carole and Tuesday are 17 years old, that's no coincindence here and they certainly wouldn't introduce such weird story if it was for nothing.

Aug 1, 2019 2:35 PM

Jul 2015
IAintAllBad said:

Yeah, refusing to dump trash on your planet is totally inexcusable.
Gonna need those votes to ensure next few generations of political supremacy. Miniscule price.

Aug 1, 2019 3:04 PM
Sep 2017
I guess I'm the only one that thought that this episode did nothing really for the story and got annoyed by that.
Aug 1, 2019 3:31 PM

Nov 2015
chipi1016 said:
I guess I'm the only one that thought that this episode did nothing really for the story and got annoyed by that.

Cowboy bebop does it all the time.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 1, 2019 3:31 PM

Dec 2011
Seems like they're going to hold that "Miraculous 7 Minutes" shtick over our heads until the very end. Very cool.
KyorisAug 1, 2019 5:16 PM
Aug 1, 2019 3:39 PM
Sep 2017
Old_School_Akira said:

I guess I didn't mind it there because it felt right for a bunch of space cowboys to have adventures. Cowboy Bebop story line was more retrospective so it was fine to wait to have backstory and the associated change when it felt relevant. Carol & Tuesday, however, is a forward leaning plot about these 2 girls having their moment in the spotlight (as the intro constantly reminds us) so it feels wrong to stall that forward momentum with what feels like filler.
Aug 1, 2019 3:42 PM
Review Moderator
(。•̀ᴗ-)⌒✧

Jun 2007
chipi1016 said:

It definitely did though, you now know that 1 famous singer killed himself in front of 2 teenage girls, who were barely affected by the death and continued to talk about music. *rolls eyes

Either way, at least now my score went from 4 to 3 and that's only because of the songs. "Plot" and cast are dumpster material.
Aug 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Nov 2015
chipi1016 said:
Old_School_Akira said:

I guess I didn't mind it there because it felt right for a bunch of space cowboys to have adventures. Cowboy Bebop story line was more retrospective so it was fine to wait to have backstory and the associated change when it felt relevant. Carol & Tuesday, however, is a forward leaning plot about these 2 girls having their moment in the spotlight (as the intro constantly reminds us) so it feels wrong to stall that forward momentum with what feels like filler.

Cowboy bebop was leaning towards a plot too that involved Spike and his past but the show always stalled with filler like episodes such as Cowboy Bebop episode 11: Toys in the Attic an easily skippable episode.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Aug 1, 2019 3:47 PM

Sep 2017
beautiful episode.
Im not sure how to describe it but its really up to date with todays events including the politics,the music is also so good I could probably show a non-weeb and they’d like it a lot. I dont like the female trump tho i have a feeling she will be a shitty to Tuesday soon

I like how they are including the full package like lesbians,gays,trans,nb like its awesome im really happy about it!!!! and i feel like they arent afraid of making c&t a thing by then end (that isnt a main focus of mine but rather a nice touch,even if it wouldnt happen this show still remains amazing.)

Desmonds voice/character reminded me of a celebrity irl but i cant quite pin point it,i also im ???? wether hes actually DEAD or just asleep

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Aug 1, 2019 3:52 PM

Sep 2017
tsubasalover said:

He/She is mysterious yet friendly person. He/she's just have physical problem that has many legends. He/she invited them because he/she heard their song. After telling them what he/she wants them to do for singing, he/she went into a long sleep.

25:05 next.

Why not just use “they”? They said they dont fit in neither he/she but stand somewhere inbetween,so they.

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Aug 1, 2019 3:55 PM
Sep 2017
Old_School_Akira said:

Cowboy bebop was leaning towards a plot too that involved Spike and his past but the show always stalled with filler like episodes such as Cowboy Bebop episode 11: Toys in the Attic an easily skippable episode.

What I was saying is that 1. Cowboy Bebop's story dealt with the past therefore it made more sense that not every day you will be confronted with shit from your past that will have you deal with it. 2. Cowboy Bebop had an easier time being episodic since it really dealt with a bunch of outcasts looking for bounties and shit. If you didn't like an episode, that's fine, but it was in concert with the spirit of the series. and 3. That Carol & Tuesday has no such buffer to give us random episodes, the plot is strictly about the 7 minutes of glory that brought Mars to its knees right? Some backstory is fine, but this episode didn't feel like backstory and it was boring to boot. In an otherwise outstanding series, this is an eyesore to me.

--Also, to address the possibility of this being backstory (that the dude is Carole's father or something): If this is backstory then the writing did the story a disservice by not giving the viewer stakes in the drama.
Aug 1, 2019 4:31 PM

Nov 2016
Great episode, Desmond's voice, his words and his death have me intrigued. R.i.p eccentric fellow.

I'm just annoyed slightly annoyed by the blatant political parallels.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 1, 2019 4:52 PM

Oct 2010
Finally more GOOD music!!

Also, he's not "Dead". It clearly showed he was hooked up to machines in the end.

I don't mind political stuff in anime but I was hoping this would be more music-focused. First we got American Idol, and now we're getting 2016 elections >.>
Aug 1, 2019 4:53 PM

Oct 2010
tookawaiii said:

Desmonds voice/character reminded me of a celebrity irl but i cant quite pin point it,i also im ???? wether hes actually DEAD or just asleep

reminded me of David Bowie from the looks, but not the voice
Aug 1, 2019 4:57 PM

Jan 2011
I think this could be my favorite episode. It had a lot of everything. You got raising tension and people trying to stop it. This could tie into the miracle of 7 minutes. I can slightly see what people say of it getting in the way of the show though but if it pays off well then I'll be fine. I really do think it is doing a good job of showing politicians will say whatever they can to get elected.

Moving on, I really like Desmond and what he was talking about. The main idea from that was to gather joy and passion from singing. Maintain that enjoyment. It may be important as they get more popular.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 1, 2019 5:05 PM

Feb 2019
That was a fantastic episode and I need time to mull it over as there was a lot to unpack there.

I think people need to get over the Valerie is Trump comparison, it is already clear that she is not and the situation is vastly different from whatever Trump is, or really isn't, doing. Sure there are similarities but that is politics in any age. I was actually fine with how much of it was in this episode.

At very first thought I did not actually care for the Desmond story though I did really love the ethereal atmosphere. Once it had ended I was already wishing we had more time with this character. I am glad they explained the androgyny issue in a believable fashion.
Aug 1, 2019 6:32 PM
Jun 2017
The song is calm to my ears, its a nice one. Lucky for carole and tuesday to hear his last piece before s/he dies.

And on politics side, it sure does Valerie is following the footsteps of Pres. TRUMP. Hahaha... lets see what the people of Mars will react to such thing.

And how this current elections will affect the 2 girls
Aug 1, 2019 6:52 PM

Jul 2017
I don't know about you, but with this episode, all the emotions and feelings clashing together...just made for a beautiful but unbelievable premise.

As a musician, it's important to meet the figures that have paved the way, and it's the one-shot legend Desmond, which in any other way was a David Bowie (but not literally). His resounding message was sent to Carole and Tuesday, but with the "un"timely death being plot convenience. Oh bummer. At least the VA manning his character did an outstanding job of soothe song singing.

And the politics, whew. So much for trying to imitate the recent 2016 election between Trump and Clinton but it's clear that Tuesday's mom will be on the losing side if backstabbing is involved (which is already foreseen).
Aug 1, 2019 7:21 PM

May 2015
You gotta love the diversity and representation in this show!
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is shit
Aug 1, 2019 7:45 PM

Oct 2012
TRANS! RIGHTS! Seriously, this show just keeps showing more and more representation. That's so beautiful, it was done with such care. Desmond was such a beautiful soul. Loved his the songs. Really sad that he only showed up for an episode, but I think that's how it should be. His second song actually made me tear up. "Cheekbones", that's so specific. Probably something the guy Desmond loved said to him. I'm referring to Desmond as "he" because that's how people were calling him (and he didn't seem bothered by it at all, so I think it's kk).

The political debate goes on. Uh, I hope this actually make some people think about how dumb it is to be egoistic enough to not allow immigrants in your country. Seriously, this show fits so well with the world situation at the moment. I really hope people can think and question their views after this.

Can't wait to see how this encounter will change Carole and Tuesday. There was a small detail of they holding hands while listening to Desmond's second song that I found just beautiful. Go conquer the world, my girls.
Aug 1, 2019 8:22 PM

Jan 2015
Once again, an episode of this beautiful series evokes tears... And I didn’t even realize I was crying, until the end credits rolled. ❤️
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
Aug 1, 2019 8:48 PM

Oct 2015
Did they just introduce a character and just killed him at the same time, wow!? Desmond will be surely missed.

At least we know Mars can turn you into another gender :O
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 1, 2019 8:53 PM
Mar 2015
Desmons is seriously creepy but he did let the girls hear his last song
Aug 1, 2019 9:18 PM

Jul 2015

Hahahaha! "They will stimulate the job market and contribute to economy."
"It's human decency to accept them."
Especially since they already have AI, which can take over probably all of manual labour.
I love how this show parodies the absurdity of political left.

Aug 1, 2019 9:55 PM

Feb 2015
Carole & Tuesday received an invitation from an artist named Desmond. Valerie and Spenser traveled to a debate with her rival, Hamilton (actual president), Spenser warned her about her political strategy to not have relations with Earth. Tuesday talked with Carole about how she doesn’t know her father and he’s supposedly on Earth. Valerie arrived to the debate and it started, Spenser went out to rest and encountered with Kyle. Carole, Tuesday, Gus and Roddy visited Desmond, he/she (androgynous) received them, they talked about Carole & Tuesday’s special music, how he became half woman and music’s meaning; he sang a last song and fainted, the AI treated him.

The episode was kind of ok, but I feel sometimes this anime gets boring, or maybe too pretentious with this philosophical guy suddenly talking about what music means, I mean, the show had its own way, I want to see them shine and play songs. And the political drama is killing me too, I know Valerie could be important for the story in the future, who knows, but I don’t give a shit about her right now.
Aug 2, 2019 1:47 AM

Nov 2007
tookawaiii said:
Why not just use “they”? They said they dont fit in neither he/she but stand somewhere inbetween,so they.
Didn't know the correct pronoun to use. Thanks.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 2, 2019 2:37 AM

Mar 2018
Valerie's ideals are a bit extreme lol.
Desmond seems like a living legend in this world and probably one of the view that understands "the true meaning of music"

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Aug 2, 2019 3:29 AM

Aug 2013
Desmond was anime Prince, change my mind. Man my feels hurt.
Don't believe the hype.
Aug 2, 2019 3:53 AM

Jan 2011
Piromysl said:

Especially since they already have AI, which can take over probably all of manual labour.

Yea, right, those AI nurses, teachers, waitresses and stuff will be great :)
Everyone's wet dream :)
Aug 2, 2019 4:38 AM

Jul 2015
AlexGK said:
Piromysl said:

Yea, right, those AI nurses, teachers, waitresses and stuff will be great :)
Everyone's wet dream :)

I don't see any problem with that, nor how it would be implausible.

Aug 2, 2019 4:51 AM

Sep 2011
I didn't expect to be hit with feelings with this one, but I think Carole and Tuesday needed this meeting. Desmond was amazing, and if "nothing else", he made them wonder about singing and its meaning while sharing some of his experiences and answers with them. He lived, he was a legend, he loved, and he composed for that one man he loved, who unfortunately left his side too soon, but even so he kept going and meeting people who also sang. And in the end, or something close to it, he could share his last song with the people he wanted to meet before falling asleep. It was beautiful, and poignant, can't wait to see how and when Carole and Tuesday will find their own meanings.
Aug 2, 2019 5:20 AM

Feb 2014
It's safe to say that Army Of Two was a success as we got a little montage of the citizens enjoying the song, along with one guy playing the song with his trumpet. =)

But the song was able to resonate with Desmond, who invited Carole, Tuesday, Roddy and Gus to his beautiful botanical mansion, filled with lovely plants, butterflies and a waterfall as well. Desmond's first song was nice, as was his second song as well. Although the vocals were a little too quiet at times, it had that tranquil and peaceful feeling to both songs that made me like them.

Meanwhile, Spencer is still having a hard time with his mother's election campaign getting too influenced by the slightly corrupt-looking politician, Jerry. Thanks to him, Valerie's campaign kinda represents the far-right while her rival, Hamilton, more or less represents the far-left. It does remind me a bit too much of the circus, which is what I call politics here in the UK right now with all parties being a headache to trust at all.

Either way, whether he likes it or not, Spencer will probably need the freelance journalist's help if he wants to stop his mother's anti-Earth plans that'll end badly for both planets.

Either way, this was a good episode overall. =D
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2019

159 by Gorgos »»
Sep 6, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

115 by Kamirura »»
Aug 23, 9:15 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2019

117 by MimiHamburger »»
Jun 30, 3:26 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2019

212 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 28, 4:24 AM

Poll: » Carole & Tuesday Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2019

73 by Shikkakku »»
Apr 27, 8:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.