Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Mar 28, 2013 11:11 AM
Jul 2012
This is a very great movie.
Nanashi is an awesome character.
Glad that he saved the kid.
The movie looks kinda like Ginibi movie studio.
The story is cool.
9/10
Mar 31, 2013 5:43 PM
Dec 2012
Definitely not the best I've seen. All the fight scenes except the last one felt really empty. That kid was obnoxious as fuck. All the side characters was kind of dull. 6/10
Jun 14, 2013 3:00 PM

Mar 2012
I think this one is a bit overrated...the action was far and wide, the fight scenes themselves are more....meh...the Chinese were a bit...overskilled than their Japanese counterparts by far, practically one man (not even Japanese) kills at least 5 of the Chinese warriors, while a horde of soldiers couldn't kill even one of them without having their commander pin the one Chinese soldier to a wall. The story of a boy and his dog can certainly and easily lay the groundwork for quite an emotional story and while that alone can make some people think it's a masterpiece, it doesn't work on me. I wasn't exactly expecting a Bleach-style fight with the last fight and that was probably the only thing I didn't expect, the rest was a bit easy to guess what would happen next.

A minor detail but, I also found no point in why the Chinese would speak Chinese to their Japanese foes, and then speak Japanese (or English if you watched the dub) as a follow up, should have stuck to one language.

Anywho, 7/10...not the best, not the worst.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Jul 2, 2013 12:13 PM

Mar 2013
The animation was absolutely stunning... The story was a bit cliche but it gets 9/10 from me only for the awesome animation music and fights .
Jul 5, 2013 8:50 PM

Feb 2013
6/10 (above average)

It was about what I would expect from Bones (Studio). Animation in the fights was top-notch, but everything else was just average for me.
Jul 8, 2013 4:49 PM
Jan 2013
really great Movie

Amazing fights

i love the music

9/10
SadDream911Jul 15, 2013 8:19 PM
Jul 17, 2013 7:29 AM

Jan 2013
If the kid was a girl.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Aug 1, 2013 8:35 AM

Nov 2010
Amazing intro fight from Rorou and long brutal finale
I liked the dog drawn as it were alive and the some Chinese touch to the landscapes as it if they drawn with those art style from Ming Dynasty

The pacing was done very well and none of it felt rushed
I wonder if Tsu Hark would brought this piece RL to justice as well rather than those lame 7 swords and sequel
Aug 4, 2013 3:07 PM
Oct 2011
Absolutely loved this movie. Even after revisiting it again after several years.

While the story was pretty straightforward I found it very enjoyable thanks to the three leads, the two main characters and ofcourse Kotaro's dog. The almost family relationship of the three of them towards the finale and in that final act was wonderful, their facial expressions during those scenes were great too.

Meanwhile I thought the animation was just stunning pretty much the entire way through, and ofcourse especially in the action scenes and fight choreography, it was amazing watching the movements and even the detailed smooth sword swings during the action. And despite it's straightforwardness the story was quite effectively touching. The big shots of the environments, especially the ones with the camera moving or panning were beautiful too. And I loved the character designs.

The music was also one of my favorite parts. As 8GuageBrett said several years ago, you could nicely tell Naoki Sato of E7 did this due to the feel of the music, it's contribution to the emotions, and awesome grandeur of the music when the music opened up throughout the movie. That main theme will stay with me forever especially, it's so perfect (I know I've found myself unexpectedly leaving the BD on the main menu a few times with it playing too lol).
DangerMouseDMAug 4, 2013 5:21 PM
Sep 26, 2013 12:15 PM

Jul 2012
DangerMouseDM said:
Meanwhile I thought the animation was just stunning pretty much the entire way through, and ofcourse especially in the action scenes and fight choreography, it was amazing watching the movements and even the detailed smooth sword swings during the action.

Left me breathless.
Jan 11, 2014 5:42 PM

Aug 2013
It was a really great movie.

The music often remembered of The Lord of the Ring, like the theme at end.

The animation was top notch.

The fighting scene were really cool. It really represented well the brutality of the fighting at this time. A lot of character die with not so glorious death. A lot of the member of the elite chinese squad died from instant dead with no real fighting. The onslaught on the fortress was really well done. The fight at the end was really cool, it made me think of some scene of Samurai Champloo.

The devellopement of the relationship between Kotarou and Nanashi was really good. Even if at the beginning, they seemed distant, you could feel that they were linked by some kind of destiny.

The ending leave us with the question of did he died or not. It's pretty much to the viewer imagination and I like that.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Feb 21, 2014 4:25 PM

Jul 2013
awesome action scenes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 27, 2014 9:53 PM

Dec 2012
Outstanding, some of if not the most incredible swordplay I've seen in anime. I couldn't help but laugh when that pretty boy was like "where's my sword?" The choreography was stunning and I was drawn in the entire time. The story was simple and that's all this movie needed: a simple story with awesome fights. Nanashi's red hair reminded me of Kenshin, it was really uncomfortable watching his past as he was forced to kill those children.

Going to say an easy 9/10, a straightforwardly awesome experience. I also like how many things were kept on a more subtle side and weren't blatantly spelled out.
Feb 28, 2014 12:09 PM

Apr 2010
epic fights
Mar 30, 2014 12:23 AM

Apr 2008
Sword fights: 11/10 holy shit amazing
Everything else: 6-7/10, pretty mediocre. Plot was somehow both generic and overly complex, and that kid was incredibly annoying.
Apr 9, 2014 8:51 AM

Sep 2013
Doge looked and acted amazing

Didn't notice the sword-switch 'till I rewinded

Story and character development were... there, but I didn't really watch this for either.
Apr 14, 2014 10:22 PM

Jan 2013
Wow. This movie was a hell of a lot better than I expected; 10/10 no doubt. Nanashi is easily one of the best characters in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 9, 2014 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
This movie was so amazing... Nanashi really kicks ass, and the fight scenes were some of Bones' best animated fights ever. Especially that final fight, just epic. And the music... holy... Some of the best music in an anime. The visuals and scenery were also breathtaking... just awesome.
May 10, 2014 8:28 PM

Jun 2011
I am in the same line as the others, great action scene (gawdaym 240p) and good music. As for the others (story, characters..), still good but nothing noteworthy.

I think the ending hinted more toward Nanashi's death, if you pay attention. Poor Kotarou, I don't know what can he do after that. Gonna be stealing like before?
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Jun 28, 2014 9:25 AM

Oct 2013
amazing 9/10 for me some of the best fight scenes ever!!!
[/quote]
Jul 11, 2014 1:31 PM

Mar 2009
Despite the bad story[6/10] (
the emperor seeking immortality part etc was just plain silly(4/10),
man seeking a strong opponent to die to with honor (7/10),
ronin(masterless/rogue samurai) saving a kid cause yolo and traumatic past (7/10)
)
The music was amazing (10/10), fights where great (9/10) and animation was amazing (10/10).

Final conclution, this was a very good movie. (8/10). But as I nether laughted my ass off, wanting to shed a tear, or hyped up (perhaps with minor exceptions on the last fight) I felt this movie was not worthy of 9/10, and far from a 10/10.
Aug 4, 2014 12:21 PM

Oct 2012
The song they used quite a few times at the end reminds me of Uncharted 2's theme music, for some reason.

The movie was rather boring but still good enough to keep me interested, until the last 20 minutes. After that, it was amazing until the end. Still, I can't completely disregard the other hour of the movie, so 9/10.
Aug 19, 2014 5:46 AM

Jul 2013
The last fight was the best anime fight I've ever seen.
Sep 13, 2014 1:27 AM
Dec 2011
i love nanashi so much 10/10 :3
Sep 16, 2014 4:32 AM

Apr 2013
One of those rare cases when BONES is doing it the right way. Good action, amazing animation a simple and easy to follow story.
Oct 10, 2014 5:51 PM

Dec 2013
Great movie, one of the best fight i ever saw in any form of entertainment. And a good story with too strangers bonding. And goold old fashion warrior spirit, lved the teasing for the two to fight and when they did the climex was EPIC. And it seems it got an happy ending for a change (japanse loves dramatic endings in movies like this). 9/10 for me.
Oct 25, 2014 6:29 AM

Mar 2014
Loved it
Nov 15, 2014 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
Would have been good if this movie have better characters.
Nov 21, 2014 5:03 AM

Aug 2014
Fight scenes alone makes this an 8.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jan 13, 2015 8:31 AM

Dec 2013
Music was galactic. Just the music alone made me cry. Enough Said.

Music Rate: Over 9000/10

Action scenes were beautifully drawn out. Glad they didn't cut corners and the gore level was made realistic. I'm surprised I've never heard of this movie until now, but boy I'm glad I eventually found this.

I do realise that there are a lot of complaints and negative comments about the story. I do agree that Nanashi's past was not fleshed out enough. I felt like the snapshots they gave us in the first half of the movie made much more of an impact (most likely because I was imagining things way worse than they were)as to when they showed the full flashback in full. HOWEVER, that being said I am completely bought over by the in depth historical knowledge this movie has incorporated. Knowing a fair bit of Chinese history and a little Japanese History, I DO know that the Chinese were somewhat obsessed with Immortality (the most well known is the Qin Emporer) and I also DO know that China sent many convoys/emissarys to Japan. And the Ming Dyansty is LEGIT.

Overall GREAT MOVIE. Beautiful Action. Down to Earth historical background. AND F*CKIN INTER-GALACTIC UNIVERSAL MUSIC.

Man the music is sooo gooood~~~~~
Jan 24, 2015 8:26 PM

Jan 2014
That was amazing. 10/10, I have no complaints. Beautiful movie.
Jan 27, 2015 9:32 AM

Sep 2013
10/10 just for fight choreography, animation, music and mood. Story obviously isn't the most original ever created (seriously, how many sword-fighting movies came packaged with truly unique stories?), but the writing overall is still solid. I bought the relationship between Nanashi and the kid and since that was the entire emotional basis of the movie, I'm more than satisfied as far as the non-action parts are concerned.

The fight choreography and animation (especially the final fight) are just breathtaking. I know some people would prefer it if the main protagonist and villain exchanged profound quips about their philosophies and ideologies before and while fighting (think Kenshin vs Shishio) but this simply isn't that kind of movie. I love the intensity, urgency, and ferocity of the final fight and how the 2 spoke with their swords rather than words. It's a sword-fighting anime with impossibly good action and can still be described as beautiful. I can't remember the last time I watched a better anime movie. The comparison to Studio Ghibli is definitely warranted.
TorribleJan 27, 2015 9:39 AM
Mar 14, 2015 1:40 AM

Nov 2014
Recently, I've been seeing lots of anime that have some depressing moments, made me think that Nanasi would die. I am glad he didn't.
Although the plot is not very strong, the annoying but sweet Kotaro was great character, but I was expecting him to name Nanasi.
And the soundtracks were just AMAZING, the fight were great as well.
I loved this movie 9/10
Mar 14, 2015 6:32 AM

Mar 2015
The word "masterpiece" suits Mukoh Hadan. This anime was deeply beautiful throughout. Every frame of it was painting. The fights were so graceful, the overall story was grave and the atmosphere was soulful. The music was absolutely relevant.
NiKiky_KunMar 14, 2015 5:54 PM
We're just the boys and girls that think they always know...
Mar 25, 2015 12:23 AM

Dec 2012
Great movie, I should have watched it sooner. Impressive animation and good OST.

Though I didn't really think the last fight was as amazing as most people made it out to be. I thought it wasnt even the best action sequences in the movie.

Solid movie regardless.
Apr 5, 2015 4:56 AM

Dec 2013
This was an amazing movie. Story was meh but the action sold it. This definitely had some of the best sword fighting I have ever seen!

8/10
Apr 11, 2015 7:00 AM

Nov 2012
This was pretty good, wish some plot points were developed a bit more but it was good for what it was, I liked the character interaction. Animation was outstanding for the final scenes. 8/10
Apr 18, 2015 12:19 PM
Jul 2018
Outstanding movie. Just breathtaking
The art was simply perfect as well as all the action scenes. Althought the story wasn't anything surprising, the way the movie is executed makes it so much more unique. Also, the soundtrack was beautiful.
Trully one of the best movies I have seen.
removed-userApr 18, 2015 12:24 PM
May 2, 2015 10:52 PM
Jan 2015
Torrible said:
10/10 just for fight choreography, animation, music and mood. Story obviously isn't the most original ever created (seriously, how many sword-fighting movies came packaged with truly unique stories?), but the writing overall is still solid. I bought the relationship between Nanashi and the kid and since that was the entire emotional basis of the movie, I'm more than satisfied as far as the non-action parts are concerned.

The fight choreography and animation (especially the final fight) are just breathtaking. I know some people would prefer it if the main protagonist and villain exchanged profound quips about their philosophies and ideologies before and while fighting (think Kenshin vs Shishio) but this simply isn't that kind of movie. I love the intensity, urgency, and ferocity of the final fight and how the 2 spoke with their swords rather than words. It's a sword-fighting anime with impossibly good action and can still be described as beautiful. I can't remember the last time I watched a better anime movie. The comparison to Studio Ghibli is definitely warranted.

My thoughts exactly. Good to know that there are people here who know the basis to judge something, even tho the majority is made of cancerous plebs.
May 5, 2015 8:45 AM

May 2010
Great movie! The animation was so fluid and the artwork was beautiful. Very fitting soundtrack as well. The whole immortality plot wasn't the best, but the main characters made up for that. Definitely a move I'm gonna rewatch!
May 9, 2015 3:59 AM

Nov 2013
Visuals 9/10
Predictable story 5/10
You all need to watch Nami.

May 18, 2015 6:00 AM

Jul 2012
The fight scenes were awesome (I bet none of you could've predicted that I'd say that) but aside from the main duo (trio?) the characters felt really underdeveloped. The worst offenders being the princess and most of the Chinese.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
May 19, 2015 10:36 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Some of the best action sequences I've ever seen in anime. The story was pretty good, but the animation and fight choreography felt much stronger.
My only complaint is how Nanashi flawlessly managed to throw his sword to the top of the tower from a place that looked too far to possibly be done.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Jun 6, 2015 8:14 PM

Jun 2012
Damn good music and visuals. Too bad the characters were bland. Still the fights were so badass.
Jul 24, 2015 7:59 AM

Feb 2014
The characters were pretty bland and the chemistry between Kotarou and Nanashi was almost non existent. Thanks to that the slow pacing during the first half bored me enough that it took me 2-3 sittings to get through it. But once Kotarou got captured, it started to get interesting and had me on the edge of my seat until the end. Not to mention, the fights choreography and their animation was some of the best I've seen, as expected from Bones.
Sep 12, 2015 5:02 PM

Nov 2011
Let no one who rated this movie high ever complain about fanservice again.

It was okay. There were a lot of foolish people whose actions led to many well animated fights. The music was good, but some tracks were overused. The plot was very plain, and the whole conflict between the Japanese and the Chinese felt pretty pointless in the end. The blond-eyed man's reasons for fighting Nanashi weren't very compelling; he was as foolish as the men searching for immortality on earth.

The best scenes in the movie were thanks to the dog, to be honest.

Still, it's not that bad. I just don't think it's anything special. It was worth the watch, but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again on my own.
Oct 3, 2015 7:24 AM

Apr 2009
awww~ so he died in the end. :(
Nov 4, 2015 9:18 PM

Sep 2013
It was a pretty amazing movie, the story was average but the fight choreography and soundtrack was awesome and made up for it.
Nov 13, 2015 3:50 AM
Feb 2015
story wise i'd give it a B from S~F (yeah i have a skewed rating system)

fight wise and OST wise i'd give it an S
Nov 27, 2015 10:45 PM

Feb 2011
I really liked it, I'm not sure if I will give it 9/10 or 10/10 but it was certainly great. The fight scenes were very pretty, yes, pretty, as if they were dancing, specially the final battle! Also, there wasn't a lot of talking when fighting and I liked that, sometimes it seems time stretches Eons to let the characters send their regards even to the neighbor's dog.

Annnnd, I refuse to believe Nanashi died, it was pure torture to watch him close his eyes and then watch the drops of blood on the snow. Yes, he was bleeding a lot, but his injuries weren't that bad (I have seen worse and the guys survived), besides, after being so positive about the future and watching the kid's determined face I can't believe he died.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Sword of the Stranger ending (warning: spoilers!) ( 1 2 3 )

NamariKirei - Feb 3, 2009

112 by Liberandum_ »»
Jun 18, 11:05 PM

» Is this good??

Tanjiro1316 - May 3, 2022

21 by Toueki »»
Oct 10, 2022 8:02 PM

Poll: » is it better in sub or dub? which gives a better feel?

i_m_a_hero_too - Jul 1, 2020

7 by Yukikaze_01 »»
Feb 14, 2022 1:59 PM

» Anyone know if the subtitle issue with Funimations release has been fixed?

Nyren - Mar 8, 2017

0 by Nyren »»
Mar 8, 2017 2:30 PM

» Nanashi's and Rarou's Ethnicity

MiloZelenko - Jan 21, 2012

7 by nDroae »»
Mar 20, 2016 1:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.