Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 5, 2015 3:00 PM

Feb 2013
Why have I never seen a trombone drawn correctly in an anime... Drives me insane when I see them drawn unnaturally and being held in bizarre ways...
May 5, 2015 3:01 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
Kumiko is a pettanko..... = 3= Love her reaction when she witnessed Asuka-senpai's bust size. xD

Kitauji High School's march scene was really nice! I really love it, although I wish it was longer... The crowd was amazed and were looking up their school's name. I wonder what the result at the end was. It sure looks exhausting, as seen from Kumiko's face.
May 5, 2015 3:12 PM

Jul 2012
Cirris said:
I'm definitely sensing major Yuri flags blazing like a lighthouse on a cold starry night.

Someone might be right about that red string deal.

that's what I'm feeling, too, and I'm hoping it's right. I've kept the yuri-goggles off so far, but after this episode they're fully engaged.
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
May 5, 2015 3:21 PM

Nov 2013
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) cute band uniforms ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 5, 2015 3:25 PM
May 2015
derickpetate said:
WHAT SONG DID KITAUJI PLAY PLEASE

The song is YMO's Rydeen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFu66ye6YWM
May 5, 2015 3:37 PM

Dec 2013
May 5, 2015 3:42 PM

Aug 2009
Interesting, it feels like a slow build up for an incredible ending, at least I hope so.

It's nice the drama is slowly taking less place, and some characters are really well written and quite original.

I'd just like the music to get more place, barely 1min at the end was too short.
May 5, 2015 3:44 PM

Apr 2013
With this episode, Euphonium successfully claimed the spot for my the best spring 2015 show
Everything just felt and looks so good
May 5, 2015 3:58 PM
Sep 2014
Pretty good episode. Best ep so far imo and I'm liking Kumiko more and more. I was having a feeling that pres might botch up but I am glad it didn't came to be. She feels lost. Looking forward to future episodes.
May 5, 2015 3:59 PM

May 2012
another great episode, lol this show makes me so happy :p
May 5, 2015 4:05 PM
Mar 2013
Scherezade said:
Why have I never seen a trombone drawn correctly in an anime... Drives me insane when I see them drawn unnaturally and being held in bizarre ways...

What's wrong with this episode? I'm just curious.
May 5, 2015 4:17 PM

Jan 2011
cute uniforms! they all look amazinng with their instruments while marching. i was surprised, that the festival is already over. i expected it to bee the location for the series final. but why not? ^^ the scene with

Yakuman said:
Shadowcatuk said:

Hope I'm not wrong with this

rydeen - ymo

Many thanks! God, it sounds so much better with a concert band. I hope they will include it on the soundtrack.
I was about asking the same question. thanks you two! =) i like it alot, too. ^^

Ruben_Jb said:
Those two scenes really stood out in animation! This was just so beautifully done!
It's a shame those pictures aren't as beautiful here on my computer screen as when I'm playing this show on my big TV screen.

This is the GIF picture of her smiling: http://giant.gfycat.com/LazySkeletalGlowworm.gif
yes, great animation here! and the backgrounds … i think, Kyoto Animation is recording those scenes with a camera and then they play around with some filters and stuff. ^^
May 5, 2015 4:31 PM

Feb 2014
Kousaka x Kumiko :3
May 5, 2015 4:32 PM

Oct 2013
Usually I'm a little slow, but humor me for a minute. It is clear that the main theme of this show is "starting over from scratch," as Kumiko and her friend from Rikki discussed before the festival.

Kumiko enters her new school to have a new beginning. Here she is reunited with Kousaka which gives them a chance to start over since their falling out at the end of middle school. The band failed miserably during the previous year and did not go to Nationals, so now with the new enthusiastic blood they can start over from scratch and do their best. This brings us back to Kousaka, who has a new start on achieving her dream of competing in Nationals.

The episode itself was very nice, I was not bothered by the pacing at all and found each scene to be interesting. You can tell that a lot of careful thought was put into this anime. I have yet to see a 'throw-away' episode. I concur with others that the scene on the train and walking home between Kumiko and Kousaka was the outstanding part of Episode 5.
redtailravMay 5, 2015 4:36 PM
May 5, 2015 4:45 PM

Nov 2010
Another fantastic episode. Watching so many characters on screen moving so naturally is a real feast for the eyes. I only found one instance of CGI characters being really noticeable (when they came marching with the school sign at the front), and even that wasn't too jarring.

This and Shokugeki no Souma are the two most uplifting series right now. It's so nice to have likeable characters putting their best efforts at what they do, outside of a typical sports anime, and to have that coupled with great animation and direction. I have to say I'm really pleased right now. Having Kyoani at the top of their game for me is even enough to make up for Trigger's trolling and that sad excuse for a Ghost in the Shell series.
May 5, 2015 4:53 PM
Nov 2013
Best episode so far. Well done KyoAni~
May 5, 2015 5:18 PM
Sep 2013
Megane asuka is cute as always.

I didint expect kitaouji is already good enough to be recognized,it felt abrupt
May 5, 2015 5:24 PM

Apr 2015
Kyoani wants us to to ship a Yuri ship...... though they'll surely sink it at the end. Don't hope. It's pointless.

Don't take the bait.
RPSB9May 5, 2015 5:41 PM
#CHEXIT
May 5, 2015 7:04 PM

Apr 2011
They all look great in their uniforms.

A lot of people have probably fallen in love with Reina this episode.
MagitoMay 5, 2015 7:19 PM
May 5, 2015 7:17 PM

Nov 2012
This episode would be perfect without the 'Kumiko obssession over the size of her chest' shit fuck you Japan
May 5, 2015 7:26 PM
Jan 2009
htsuji said:
Scherezade said:

quite curious as well, i'm pretty sure they had Yamaha provide all the models for their instruments so i dare say they are accurate
May 5, 2015 7:38 PM

Jun 2013
Damn, another great episode!
If it continues like this, this anime could end up being something real special :)
May 5, 2015 7:54 PM

May 2010
Great episode! Reminded me of my marching band days and parades. The moment between Kumiko and her old middle school friend was beautiful! Also love how Reina was a bit more fleshed out this week. :) Can't wait till next week.
May 5, 2015 8:11 PM

Jan 2013
Some very good looking scenes this episode. I liked the song too, wish it was longer.
May 5, 2015 9:10 PM

Apr 2014
Hahaha!
When Kumiko slide her hand down her front...flat as a board.
So the team finally getting ready for the big thing...
Also aiming for the national competition.
Loving it!
May 5, 2015 9:23 PM
永遠の銀魂

Jul 2012
this was a really good episode! and this is definitely getting better and more interesting as it goes along. i liked so many parts in this episode, it made me smile!
i'm starting to get really attached to the girls too, fuck this is like k-on! all over again. sighs.. kyoani..

i really can relate to a lot of this, i wasn't in brass band in high school but i was in a guitar ensemble and used to love watching the different concert bands. i wish i was more involved in the music program in high school.
May 5, 2015 9:27 PM

Nov 2007
Those sparkles in Kousaka's eyes! I think praising the sensei had something to do with it! Kumiko's obsession with chest makes me want to give her a hug. And did Tsukamoto just earn some points with Katou?

Asuka-senpai being Asuka-senpai i.e. best girl.

This was the best episode of the series so far. Kumiko's realization was striking. Fantastic directing right there! Really, earning points by each passing episodes this anime. No wonder why I am so addicted to this drug called Kyoani.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 5, 2015 9:56 PM

Nov 2011
watching the underdogs rise to the top is the best kind of entertainment.
Im really loving the characters in the series. They feel so original and natural.
Hate Keeps me warm
May 5, 2015 10:44 PM
Apr 2015
GohanwaOkazu said:
Great episode.

The best moe-striking scene was when Kumiko tut-tutted at Shuichi.

The most beautiful scene was when Reina said bye to Kumiko.

But most heart-warming scene was when Kumiko parted with Azusa to return to her new friends.

Hazuki now has a slight crush on Shuichi.

Nailed it, 4/4.

summerwars said:

Ruben_Jb said:
Those two scenes really stood out in animation! This was just so beautifully done!
It's a shame those pictures aren't as beautiful here on my computer screen as when I'm playing this show on my big TV screen.

This is the GIF picture of her smiling: http://giant.gfycat.com/LazySkeletalGlowworm.gif
yes, great animation here! and the backgrounds … i think, Kyoto Animation is recording those scenes with a camera and then they play around with some filters and stuff. ^^

Seriously, the backgrounds are mind-blowing. That would explain a lot, if it's edited from camera footage. Especially for that nighttime scene - I was just in Kyoto a few weeks ago (I actually accidentally ended up at Uji station b/c I got on an express train) and everything about the atmosphere and lighting was so spot on it's uncanny.

Either way, KyoAni orz
May 5, 2015 11:25 PM

Jul 2010
Well, I never took my yuri goggles off, but this episode really cements the growing yuri vibe. I loved the glances Kumiko and Reina tossed at each other when they were trying on the uniforms, and that hair toss/smile when they were going home. To die for!

So sorry for the trombone shippers and the Reina/Sensei shippers. The red string of fate in the ED doesn't lie. Note that in the ED, Kumiko is surprised that the string is there, but the look on Riena's face says, "Of course it is attached to me!" I think that it isn't the teacher that made her want to apply to this high school, but someone else who has applied there... :)

We should just add that shoujo ai tag to this one already! Maybe it will turn into a yuri tag later.
May 5, 2015 11:45 PM

Oct 2013
Asuka looks like a slut, i like her
May 6, 2015 12:05 AM

Dec 2013
Another brilliant episode as usual! No added drama or cliffhangers were added this week but an overall comfy watch! Really hoping this one stretches into a 2nd cour.

4/5.
May 6, 2015 12:28 AM

Jun 2013
This episode was so good :D I'm finally starting to feel the kyoani-ness

Lol at the flat girl problems xD

Looks like we know who is gonna fall for the teacher eh yow
May 6, 2015 12:32 AM

Jul 2013
That Kousaka's smile <3 If Asuka wasn't so hot (I have a slight megane fetish) she'd have easily been the best girl.

Best episode so far. KyoAni didn't disappoint with the marching band's animation. They cut the Rikka's performance but at least I didn't notice anything too out-of-place during Kitauji's performance. It makes sense that they put more time into it.
May 6, 2015 12:37 AM

Mar 2014
Wow amazing episode there !!
May 6, 2015 1:03 AM

Oct 2014
BEST GURL OF THIS EPISODE:

May 6, 2015 1:23 AM

Mar 2012
Very fun episode. Marching band sounds really draining. I played a little bit of concert band and jazz band, but never marching band. Walking around with an instrument would quite a bit trickier for sure.

Loved Kitauji's uniforms. Loved their song performance even more! ^^ Props to you all for listing the song name; definitely made it really convenient for me finding the song really quickly. xP
May 6, 2015 1:27 AM

Apr 2014
dat scene.... I'm in love.
May 6, 2015 1:51 AM

Jun 2013
MARCHING BAND <333333
May 6, 2015 3:02 AM

Apr 2015
zensunni said:
Well, I never took my yuri goggles off, but this episode really cements the growing yuri vibe. I loved the glances Kumiko and Reina tossed at each other when they were trying on the uniforms, and that hair toss/smile when they were going home. To die for!

So sorry for the trombone shippers and the Reina/Sensei shippers. The red string of fate in the ED doesn't lie. Note that in the ED, Kumiko is surprised that the string is there, but the look on Riena's face says, "Of course it is attached to me!" I think that it isn't the teacher that made her want to apply to this high school, but someone else who has applied there... :)

We should just add that shoujo ai tag to this one already! Maybe it will turn into a yuri tag later.

You took the bait. Prepare to rage at the end ahahahahha!!!!
#CHEXIT
May 6, 2015 3:51 AM

Oct 2009
Told you that sensei triggered the flag of one of the girls!
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
May 6, 2015 4:11 AM

Aug 2014
Was routing for Reina from beginning - not disappointed!

derickpetate said:
WHAT SONG DID KITAUJI PLAY PLEASE

YMO - Rydeen
May 6, 2015 4:55 AM

Jun 2008
Stark700 said:
Welp, I think their outfits are cute in terms of design:
It's cute for baton twirler uniforms. No band in the states wears anything like that.

Pthugnificent said:
Also, I see that they're not using the marching tubas. Which is kinda weird, since those tubas are usually the things that stick out.
Usually competing marching bands would use converting tubas instead of Sousaphones. If they had marching tubas the why not marching baris and euphs?

y123y said:
Oh gosh... can we please stop it with the comments of how this anime reminds you of your life.... every episode forum....
No. I like to hear the other poster's experience with band, concert and marching. This show is hitting a lot of memories for many here. How can that be a bad thing? I'm have more memories of my years of marching (about a decade of marching experience in between high school, university and drum corps-junior and senior).

I've been seeing a lot of questions about why not much about SunFest. As I saw it, this wasn't about SunFest, it was about getting to SunFest. All the work and practice they needed to do to get their. I bet there is information online about something similar to SunFest online with videos attached to it.

This show is my must watch series for this season. Two thumbs up.
Dodecahedron-O24May 6, 2015 5:13 AM
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 6, 2015 4:57 AM

May 2011
They were really selling Kousaka hard this episode. I'm a sucker for girls with long black hair, so when they showed her in the marching uniform, I was just struck dumb. I'm also really liking the dynamic we see growing between Kumiko and Kousaka. She definitely looks cool and calm on the surface, but when she smiled at Kumiko, I found myself sharing her exact same sentiments.

The SunFes performance was also good. I wouldn't say they were amazing or anything, but it was definitely miles better than than the first time they tried to play in an ensemble in front of Taki sensei. Wish the performance sequence was a bit longer though, although its understandable they should save their budget on animating the more important future performances.
Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to give out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends.
May 6, 2015 5:22 AM
Mar 2013
htsuji said:
Scherezade said:

TheBatotot said:
quite curious as well, i'm pretty sure they had Yamaha provide all the models for their instruments so i dare say they are accurate

FYI. The ending subtitle says...

Musical Instruments Support - YAMAHA

I guess YAMAHA wouldn't like to approve of the pictures with the trademark of YAMAHA if their musical instruments were incorrectly drawn. But, I don't know how deeply concerned YAMAHA is about this show. Or possibly, YAMAHA's products are unnatural and ill-shaped in the first place.
htsujiMay 6, 2015 5:36 AM
May 6, 2015 5:37 AM

Feb 2014
Good episode. I like the part where Kumiko "tch" at that guy.
May 6, 2015 5:42 AM

Jun 2008
htsuji said:
htsuji said:

TheBatotot said:

FYI. The ending subtitle says...

Musical Instruments Support - YAMAHA

I guess YAMAHA wouldn't like to approve of the pictures with the trademark of YAMAHA if their musical instruments were incorrectly drawn. But, I don't know how deeply concerned YAMAHA is about this show. Or possibly, YAMAHA's products are unnatural and ill-shaped in the first place.

Yamaha and "Hibike! Euphonium" Team Up in Promotional Campaign
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?

May 6, 2015 5:52 AM
May 2015
zensunni said:

I find it very unlikely i think the red string thing in the ending have more to do with friendship than love
May 6, 2015 6:47 AM

Jun 2012
That smile tho
May 6, 2015 7:04 AM

Nov 2011
Narratively the episode, always proves accurate explanations and show a slow pace, suited to showing the rest of the cast that makes up the TV series, which is incredibly large.
This, for me, it's great.
Drawings and excellent animations, plot that goes well albeit slowly; interpersonal relationships are increasingly taking shape.
The KyoAni me is surprising.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 19, 2015

135 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Jun 1, 6:37 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2015

194 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 26, 4:27 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

396 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
May 24, 7:00 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2015

206 by BritishBlitz87 »»
May 18, 6:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

454 by Max98 »»
Apr 29, 2:06 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.