Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 19, 2015 9:10 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oooh, decent focus on Aoi I guess. It seems she wants to quit the band.

Glad to see her connect and build friendship with Kumiko and the others though. It's really nice to know that she has friends like her to help out when she needed the most. What a priceless ending though XD. Oh well, no Aoi in the band anymore...
Stark700May 19, 2015 10:31 AM
May 19, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2012
The dark and gloomy weather was certainly appropriate this week as the club loses Aoi, and nearly loses Haruka. It's probably just me but I felt as if Asuka came across kinda poorly from her little exchange with Haruka, she rubbed me the wrong way for really the first time, even if what she said wasn't technically wrong.

Well, regardless we move on, with another look at possible romance.
May 19, 2015 10:42 AM

Feb 2014
Aoi left... it's sad I guess, but to be fair I really didn't care that much about her and probably the band will still be really good even without her.

Oh god Hazuki really said that? That was so out of nowhere, I wasn't ready at all. I wonder what Kumiko will answer.
May 19, 2015 10:42 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I thought that the drama was overblown. We all knew that Aoi never really wanted to be there and they made such an exaggerated drama out of this.

And i gotta agree with Shuichi about Asuka being too perfect. It starts to get a bit offputting.

I would rather wanna see a light-hearted Hibike! Euphonium.
May 19, 2015 11:02 AM

May 2013
I have a feeling that somehow Aoi might come back to the band. Looks like Hazuki has feelings for Shuichi.
May 19, 2015 11:05 AM

Nov 2011
Hazuki X Shuichi ship is real!
leave Kumiko to her yuri antics with Reina XD
May 19, 2015 11:06 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Way to embarrass one of your students up front, Taki-sensei. "Good attitude, but your fly is open." How did he even see that far?

animefan8800 said:
It's probably just me but I felt as if Asuka came across kinda poorly from her little exchange with Haruka, she rubbed me the wrong way for really the first time, even if what she said wasn't technically wrong.

Haruka was overreacting at Aoi quitting the club and then went on about why she shouldn't have been the president. So Asuka had to be direct and on point. If anything, that made me like her ever more. But I do get what you mean though.

Romantic drama incoming. I hope Hazuki and Shuichi ends up together. Kumiko will probably start falling for him right about now as well. It always has to be one girl liking another girl's osananajimi before they realize their (hidden) feelings.

Decent episode. I like how Kousaka was sitting with them inside the train for quite a while but chose to stay quiet. She's not gonna take part in any of the upcoming drama? O.o0

May 19, 2015 11:20 AM

Jun 2011
I don't think (or maybe that's wishful thinking) that Kumiko will fall in love with Shuuichi. I agree on what he said about Asuka. I didn't really like her from the start either (I didn't dislike her either, though), but she was spot on with her 'then, you should have refused too.' It made me like her a bit more. :) And lol at Kousaka staying quiet in the train. She always manages to catch those two off guard.

Anyway, a good episode. 7/10 for me.
May 19, 2015 11:21 AM

Sep 2012
Their sound is progressing a lot (though in that last tuning note there was a flute a bit sharp, I think). I understand why Aoi quit, but otherwise I kind of wish some of the second year that quit would join again since the atmosphere has changed to more serious.

I liked the episode, but I do wish there was more of them playing. (And perhaps an explanation of some sort about the red string?) Like if it's going to be shoujo ai, I would prefer if they'd show it a bit more. And if not, then well... I don't know. I just wish it were a bit more obvious either way personally.

And I ship Shuichi and Kumiko. Sorry, not sorry. I really want them together cause I think they would be really cute as a couple (though it would take time to get used to and should not be the main focus even if it happens).

"It's a conversation through instruments. A miracle that creates harmony. In that moment, music transcends words." - Miyazono Kaori
"Laziness is the mother of all bad habits. But ultimately she is a mother and we should respect her." - Nara Shikamaru
"You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things... Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest." - Orihara Izaya
May 19, 2015 11:28 AM

Oct 2006
Kumiko and Shuuichi looked like they had zero interest in each other outside of being long-time buds so far, if either of them were to suddenly fall for the other just cause of Hazuki I'd consider that questionable writing. So far all the relationships and drama have been pretty believable so it'd be a little disappointing.

Other than that Kousaka still best grill. More of her please, I'm thirsting.
May 19, 2015 11:34 AM

May 2009
Based Takemoto making /u/ cry.
May 19, 2015 11:38 AM

Aug 2013
I am pleasantly reminded of "Free!: Eternal Summer" this episode.

Hopefully the tone of the show sticks with its current direction.
May 19, 2015 12:28 PM

Dec 2013
Another great episode. This time around the mood was decidedly darker than previously. We get to see them finally address the issue from last year, and we even had a flashback (for a second consecutive week) of Kumiko in her Middle school band club room being yelled at by some other chick (for some reason I'm suspecting a short-haired Aoi).

Someone finally addressed that question on the back of my mind of why does Asuka seem so unreal despite her gung-ho attitude and obviously "perfect" performances/reactions to things. Just how much of that "perfection" is natural, and how much is just an act?

Didn't get my proper dose of Midori-chan, but all the drama with Aoi and then Ogasawara's breakdown meant there really wasn't enough time for it. Did anyone besides me think that the show really zipped by too fast again? By the time we reached the mid-show break, I thought only 5 minutes had passed.

Didn't really want to lay in with the romance, but Hazuki really took the initiative and brought it up.
I really don't think that Kumiko is interested in romance at all, specifically I don't think she is interested in Shuichi. Theirs is a very organic Osanajimi relationship with no hint of romance whatsoever. Kumiko simply has no interest in Shuichi. Whether the opposite is true, I'm not quite sure as of this moment, because there have been two instances where Shuichi has actively gone to talk with Kumiko (once at the convenience store, and again this episode when he could have walked home with his umbrella but chose to find her at her "rain" spot to talk).

Whether Kumiko will be interested in romance, I can see it happening, but definitely not with Shuichi. Why? Because once she knows about Hazuki's feelings, she seems the type of girl who would immediately cross out her friends love interest off of her own list. That's the feeling that Kumiko gives me. Also, she hasn't gotten over her middle school band "trauma" of sorts, I don't think she's going to focus much on boys here.

Hazuki was asking the wrong question, and I'd bet my house that Kumiko will give her the answer that she wants to hear next week. No, Kumiko isn't dating and isn't gonna be interested in Shuichi, but whether Shuichi is the same, that's another story.
L-RyoshiMay 19, 2015 5:20 PM
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 19, 2015 12:28 PM

Sep 2010
It's a pity Aoi-chan quitted the band. Hopefully, we'll see her again some time.

I feel like falling for Natsuki-senpai more and more. She is quite a laid-back girl, not my fave type of female character, but still I enjoy her every episode. Glad, there was plenty of her today.

I want Asuka-senpai to be more... disclosed, I guess? I mean, we need more of her backstory. Or just more of her xd

It seems Taki-sensei is not such a monster he was portrayed as in the first episodes. Aoi-chan quitting the band left a sad impression on him.

With all my heart I vote for Shuichi and Kumiko, actually, I ship them from the very beginning. It's rare for me to prefer main girl - main boy ship tho, I usually like side characters more. Hazuki just... doesn't seem so appealing to me as a character...

PS: am I the only who wanted this ribbon-haired girl to be yelled at?
fujioka-sanMay 19, 2015 12:33 PM
May 19, 2015 1:02 PM

Apr 2014
That has to be the best episode of Hibike! yet. Those camera angles, the focus on the characters while moving the band ever closer to Prefectural's. Asuka's glib goofiness peeled ever slightly back, the President's quiet bravery, the loss of a comrade. Kumiko and friends and pining.

Be this good a show always, Hibike!
May 19, 2015 1:05 PM

Mar 2012
Ah, so Aoi did end up quitting. It wasn't unexpected by any means for us, but I can the shock it would cause to some of the characters.

Nice to hear what exactly went amiss from last year by Natsuki. That definitely would make taking the president position a lot more difficult.

And Hazuki thinks Kumiko is going out with Shuuichi. xD Hopefully, Kumiko just responds appropriately since it looks like those two really have nothing that deep going on between each other.
May 19, 2015 1:07 PM

Oct 2006
L-Ryoshi said:
Another great episode. This time around the mood was decidedly darker than previously. We get to see them finally address the issue from last year, and we even had a flashback (for a second consecutive week) of Himeko

Her name is Kumiko. It grates a bit when reading your rather long post.

Aug 2014
So is this show 1 or 2 cour? I really hope it is 2 cour and delves into the more dramatic side of things later on.
Does anyone know how Hibike is being received back in Japan?
From the details in artistry and statements of passion, Kyoanus again solidifies why they're my favorite studio.
"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes, and dantolyntan's shit taste in Japanese cartoons." - Benjamin Franklin
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Damn Hazuki.
That was pretty direct and out of nowhere ._.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jun 2013
Wow we got some drama in this episode and I love it. The side characters even has some depth which is great. And that cliff hanger ending!
May 19, 2015 1:46 PM

Dec 2011
So Aoi did quit. To be honest, I didn't actually sad or concern about that at all, though it might be such a shock to Haruka and the others.

Quite refreshing to see that Natsuki changed her attitude in the band a bit.
Not enough Kousaka in this episode! I LOL'ed when they noticed it was Kousaka who sat beside them in the train XD

LOL that bombshell at the end. I don't think Kumiko has any interest for Shuichi at all though.
May 19, 2015 2:23 PM
Feb 2015
Looks like aoi left the band. It would have been nice if she actually stayed but she really needed to get into college i guess. Well it looks like a new ship is sailing and we will find out who likes who :o

i think its gonna be a love triangle :p
[center] *>.>[Spoiler][/spoiler]<.<*
[center]
May 19, 2015 2:30 PM

May 2010
For KumikoxShuuichi, although kumiko dislikes Shuuichi not sure he likes Hazuki.
May 19, 2015 2:44 PM

Apr 2010
A bit of overkill on the drama i think.
Still the episode improved towards the end.
It's getting clear now what the relationships between characters are now and i like that, especially the characters that act a bit to high and mighty in the trumpet part.
Well i guess some things can't be helped.

This episode also explained some things about the past which was nice for understanding the current situation.
May 19, 2015 4:08 PM

Jul 2012
Not sure what I'll do if a love triangle begins, hopefully it won't be cringey at least. Still liking the way things are going otherwise though.
May 19, 2015 4:48 PM

Oct 2013
For a character-driven drama, time sure flies during an episode. I always pay close attention to the interaction of the band-mates.

Aoi used her upcoming exams as an excuse to quit, but to me it seems there is more to her story.

It will be interesting to see where the Hazuki and Shuichi feelings end up.
May 19, 2015 4:49 PM

Jan 2013
I know better then to hope for romantic development in a Kyoani series.
Good episode though, a bit of drama.
May 19, 2015 4:52 PM

Aug 2008
Wait, in the flashback that Natsuki was talking about, aren't she and Riko supposed to be first years? Why are they wearing the blue bows, then? It doesn't seem to be a mistake, so I don't understand.
May 19, 2015 5:15 PM

Nov 2007
The whole episode was such a downer until the-maiden-in-love Hazuki bumping with Shuuichi while getting off the train! Also, I didn't fail to notice that Kousaka actually decided to sit next to Kumiko. That girl cannot be honest now can she?

But the last bit was so damn amazing.

Midori's reaction when she saw Hazuki's serious eyes was so priceless! As if she knew what was supposed to follow immediately, Kumiko drops her egg-roll and the next piece begins.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 19, 2015 5:35 PM

Dec 2013
niwasatou said:
L-Ryoshi said:
Another great episode. This time around the mood was decidedly darker than previously. We get to see them finally address the issue from last year, and we even had a flashback (for a second consecutive week) of Himeko

Her name is Kumiko. It grates a bit when reading your rather long post.

Apologies, made the post before sleeping, didn't check my stuff. Edited.

Still if I'm being perfectly honest, a simple PM would have sufficed. You sound like you're making it a point to call me out. For what reason, I have no idea.
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 19, 2015 5:40 PM

Feb 2009
A lit of extra drama. That cliffhanger from last week and it only comes up in the last 30 seconds of the episode? Pfft. I don't have any attachments to Aoi quitting, the band still sounds good. I think she just gave everyone a shock and questioning their influence in the band if people are still quitting.

I ship Hazuki and Shuuichi yeah. But I have a feeling that the ship will sink by the finale. Side characters never usually win.

May 19, 2015 6:14 PM

Jun 2013
This was a much more dramatic episode, but it was good drama
Interesting cliffhanger :)
May 19, 2015 6:27 PM

Feb 2010
Next week cannot come fast enough!
May 19, 2015 6:42 PM
Apr 2013
i don't like hazuki, shuichi x kumiko please!
May 19, 2015 8:10 PM
Jul 2018
Too bad that Aoi left the band!
May 19, 2015 9:26 PM

Oct 2012
Thought the cloudy and depressing weather fit this episode's atmosphere well. I'm glad that they're focusing more on adding some more drama. I like that. I also liked that quick look at Kumiko's dark past with whoever that was and I'm not sure how I feel about the romance yet but it did lead to a pretty priceless ending. One of my favorite scenes this episode:

Asuka: "Then you should have refused too."

Me: o_o ... *mindblown*
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
May 19, 2015 10:29 PM

Apr 2015
Oh, it seems our long awaited romance development has come.

Let's see how Kumiko will react if Hazuki will tell her that she likes Shuichi. >///<

Don't fail me Kyoani!!!
#CHEXIT
May 19, 2015 10:50 PM

Nov 2012
pretty interesting that this episode had drama, but it didn't feel dramatic at all.
kumiko's probably going to reply with 'no' and then get jealous when hazuki asks shuichi out lol
May 19, 2015 11:17 PM

Aug 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
we even had a flashback (for a second consecutive week) of Kumiko in her Middle school band club room being yelled at by some other chick (for some reason I'm suspecting a short-haired Aoi).

They didn't go to the same middle school.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
May 19, 2015 11:23 PM

Oct 2013
that was boring
May 19, 2015 11:30 PM

Jan 2008
I surely didn't expect Hazuki to ask Kumiko that question or that she will act that fast. I do ship Shuuichi/Kumiko but I kind of don't think there are feelings between them. I hope I'm wrong, though. Hazuki winning is a possibility but I'll be disappointed if it happened as I totally love Shuuichi with Kumiko.

Ah, I'd love to see a romance for Taki-sensei as well but I wonder if it'll happen. Maybe Kousaka has a thing for him?
May 19, 2015 11:32 PM
Jan 2012
Good episode.
I like it that in this series no one is perfectly nice or innocent. I like them all.

Aoi : the one who had initially good motivations, but had to quit with regrets
Haruka : the one with a tender heart, but lacking self-confidence and leadership
Kaori : the balancer, but perhaps also a universal flirt
Asuka : the gifted one, a cold-blooded loner evading all responsibilities
Natsuki : the by-stander, witnessing the wrongdoings, but who could not resist
May 20, 2015 1:11 AM

Oct 2014
You would know the episode would be amazing if they got Takemoto Yasuhiro from 3 of my favourite Kyoto animation projects to direct this episode.

Oh god, they really loaded up the episode huh. The Aoi-chan quiting fiasco. The club president peer pressure explosion (taking it out on Kumiko is a tad unnecessary), the romance triangle which was foreshadowed long ago, also foreshadowing Asuka's backstory or whatever is up in her ass and the trumpet section tension.

Yasuhiro's direction was superb, the animation looked bleak and set the tone of the episode, characters don't go into grindingly long monologues to explain their feelings, this show does it all on subtle actions and expressions (imagine during Aoi's choice of leaving the concert, they smack an extensive monologue telling the audience why, it would feel so cheesy), they kept it simple using the animation to show us why and also maintains the tone too, unlike another music show in the fall that was full of drama but so colorful that it looks like a school play and makes me conflicted, tears and trinkling piano pieces does not create good drama. This shows the talent of the studio if they adapt good source material.
kyonJIEMay 20, 2015 1:14 AM
My life is boring cause I'm boring
If you're not at school what can you do, you stare at a screen of bright pixels
May 20, 2015 2:02 AM

Dec 2013
ooo333 said:
fujioka-san said:
With all my heart I vote for Shuichi and Kumiko, actually, I ship them from the very beginning. It's rare for me to prefer main girl - main boy ship tho, I usually like side characters more. Hazuki just... doesn't seem so appealing to me as a character.

The reason why you dont find Hazuki as an interesting character its because in anime love triangles, they use a very cheap technique in which they give the best personalities to one female and they give a not so likeable personality to another female. And they are doing that in this anime.

With the exception of animes adapted from a VN, the following chicks never wins in anime love triangles:

The clumsy / air head / happy go lucky chick never wins. I for once want then to win. I am rooting for Hazuki if the anime decides to be a love triangle. Break the cliche!!!!

It would be really cliche if the female MC wins or if Kazuki is just there to make the female MC realize that she likes Shuuichi. They did that in White Album 2. They did that in Kokoro Connect. They did that in True Tears. They are doing it in Nisekoi.

BREAK THE CLICHE!

If an anime is going to do a love triangle, than make both chicks have equal chances of winning. Dont make it obvious who the "best chick" is.

Funny thing is, Kumiko doesn't seem at all interested in "main guy" Shuichi at all. For her, she'll just acknowledge his presence when he's there. She's quite indifferent to him, specially when compared with her interactions with other band members (the only argument against this is that all those are girls). I think she may still be carrying a grudge against him for telling her not to talk to him in middle school.

As of this moment, regardless of how good Kumiko's quality is, if you ain't in the game, you ain't in the game.

Oops. Forgot to mention, Hazuki reminds me of Tsubaki from Shigatsu, just not as crazy.

BlurredVision18 said:
L-Ryoshi said:
we even had a flashback (for a second consecutive week) of Kumiko in her Middle school band club room being yelled at by some other chick (for some reason I'm suspecting a short-haired Aoi).

They didn't go to the same middle school.

Good catch. I didn't think about that. In that case, it may have been some other band chick who was serious about the band and could tell that Kumiko herself wasn't. Whatever the deal, it was two flashbacks, so I'm guessing it's important foreshadowing to her issues.
L-RyoshiMay 20, 2015 2:10 AM
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 20, 2015 3:00 AM
Dec 2008
Guess we'll really know next week if Kumiko does have some feelings towards Shuichi. If it doesn't bother her that Hazuki is asking him out then that ship is sunk. As of now it really just feels that they're normal childhood friends.
May 20, 2015 3:17 AM

Feb 2014
Hazuki dropped the bombshell right at the end there. She's definitely jumping to conclusions if she thinks Kumiko and Shuichi are dating since the two are just friends and all.

Shame that Aoi left the band, although she made the right choice. With her exams coming up and the fact that she's failed one before, she couldn't balance that as well as the band competition. Pretty easy to tell the difference in the instrument's tone when you try to play without 100% commitment.

Haruka almost went the same way as Aoi, but thanks to Asuka as well as a heart to heart with the student who visited her home(forgot her name >_<), she's got her enthusiasm back on track.

Poor Reina though, being almost treated as a backgrounded character since it took Kumiko and Shuichi a while to recognise her sitting close to them on the train, lol. ^_^
May 20, 2015 5:34 AM

Apr 2011
Vindstot said:
Way to embarrass one of your students up front, Taki-sensei. "Good attitude, but your fly is open." How did he even see that far?

Yeah I wondered about i t too -.- but it was hella funny:D

I think Asuka's answer was fine cause Haruka needs to realise that in the end she enjoys being the president(at least it seems so to me). She loves music and fits perfectly in the role whereas Asuka is really perfect so it would be hard for others, she's more the supporting character.

And Kousaka just like Kuroko from KnB :)

May 20, 2015 6:56 AM

Nov 2011
Convincing once again the narrative, the output of the character of the band Aoi, not a bolt from the blue, in fact had been telegraphed long ago, so no twist; same thing for the step taken by Hazuki, who was in the air.
They also convincing dialogues, good growth and the creation of links between the various characters that make up the club. Drawings and animations dicrete, great scenery; KyoAni not disappoint.
I like how you're trying to turn around the club without dwelling too much on the usual characters, also the characterization no signs of stopping, an example is the character of Asuka but not only, which apparently underneath is not as it seems; I had a bit of fear after his speech with Haruka. Today little room for Reina, but Kumiko is not disappointing. I also liked the small brackets which are seen in the characters of Kaori, Natsuki, Haruka, Yuuko and Aoi.
Anyway I want to know as soon as the other girls and the boys who make up the band.
Funny Professor Taki, on the occasion of his joke, even if granted. LOL !
May 20, 2015 7:24 AM

Sep 2014
Hmm, that was a good episode. The focus on Aoi and Haruka was good, they needed some development. Also glad they sorta have that romance angle going. Can't wait for the next episode.
May 20, 2015 7:38 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Not gonna lie........I was very disappointed to see Aoi quit the band, on one hand I get that she's trying to study harder but on the otherhand, she made a commitment to the band first and she's letting everyone down by doing this

The drama was real in this episode and I wasn't surprised to see the president finally crack. But I was glad to see that everyone got all of their problems out in the air and we got some really nice development for the characters involved

The ending was the icing on the cake.....I can already see the relationship drama on the horizon xD
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

453 by Hearn »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

394 by shichirouji »»
Apr 22, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2015

286 by luisfunes99 »»
Apr 2, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2015

242 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Mar 28, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.