Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 6, 2008 8:19 PM
Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The tachikomas are amazing characters! It's so cool to see how they write in how they evolve and then to follow along in what great discussions they have. Did anyone else get that 2001:A Space Odyssey reference? =]

Anyway, I wonder if anyone is really working on robots that look like them,

and how close is anyone getting to creating an AI?

Oh, I work at a print shop, and I've always wanted to paint the printers Tachikoma blue.
May 14, 2008 7:21 PM

Mar 2008
Wow. That episode was great.

Cenizo, have you ever heard of the Turing Test ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_test )? Good introduction to asking questions about what it means to be intelligent.

Personally, I think it is very hard to judge a thing as intelligent, or not intelligent. The matter is much more continuous with various degrees of intelligence. Indeed, the human genome project has revealed that human intelligence is not specified by individual genes, but instead belongs to much larger sets of genes. Not only that, but Psychology studies have shown that the experiences of a persons life also play an large role in shaping an individual. Finally, if things were not already complicated enough, currently, there is a lot of talk about what the role the physical body plays in intelligence. Our sensory organs define how we view the world, and our limbs how we can interact with it. Without interaction in some sort of world, ideas are meaningless. Philosophers call this 'aboutness' intentionality. Suffice to say, there are a lot of factors that influence intelligence and the question is not very cut and dry.

An interesting thought experiment to think about is the "Chinese Room" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room ). I think this is REALLY thought provoking.

This area of Philosophy is known as the Philosophy of Mind ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_Mind ). Google around and I am sure you will find interesting topics. The wiki link is a great place to start. Cognitive Science ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_Science ) is another active field of research into these topics. It is an interdisciplinary field drawing on Computer Science, Psychology, Biology, Anthropology, Sociology, Physiology, and Philosophy (to name a few). Lots of interesting stuff about how the brain works.
OmegaRedMay 14, 2008 7:25 PM

"There is no such thing as God in this world." -Setsuna F. Seiei
Sep 6, 2008 7:49 AM

Jan 2008
Very interesting episode. The Tachikomas were great but the major doesn't seem to like them developing individuality :/
Dec 6, 2008 3:32 PM

Feb 2008
I enjoyed this episode. The Tachikomas are really entertaining and there were a few things this episode that had me thinking.
Jan 10, 2009 6:59 PM

Oct 2008
It was ok - 3/5
The tachikomas kinda got on my nerves by the end of it.
Apr 21, 2009 8:20 PM

Jan 2009
aero said:
Very interesting episode. The Tachikomas were great but the major doesn't seem to like them developing individuality :/
I would say a Extremely interesting episode. It make us wonder about the life somehow, but thats not the point anyway. What would do an AI machine if they get aware of their existence? They would rebel against humans? Probably. They would -obviusly- not follow anymore an order. That would means that the AI got a personality wich also means that it would be breaking the barrier between human existance and machine existence. I'm saying all this of course, based on this philosophy; "I think therefore I am human".

Good episode anyway.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 1, 2009 4:12 AM

Nov 2007
Noooo, but the Tachikoma's are so awesome ><, she should keep them around.
Aug 5, 2009 6:43 PM

Jul 2008
i feel sort of sorry for the tackikomas, b/c they're programming was too well, they are not being trusted by the ones using them. i ask you is it fair make a machine with artificial intelligence and then get rid of it just b/c it becomes curious, even though it is totally loyal?
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Sep 19, 2009 8:34 AM
Apr 2008
It was ok. Felt sorry for them, but I generally find them annoying.
Nov 16, 2009 9:26 AM

Apr 2009
I'm actually starting to get a little annoyed by the tachikomas. They have one specific purpose, to do what they are told as weapons of section 9, yet they're always trying to explore and experience new things that it sometimes gets in the way. I will admit that they are pretty cool to be able to get to where they are, but something needs to be done or else something bad could happen in the field. I just wonder how the tachikomas could be replaced.
Dec 4, 2009 10:06 PM

Oct 2009
lol second renaissance

It's been almost 30 years since cyberpunk started and the ideas have been around a lot longer (yeah Isaac Asimov and I Robot) and science still has no idea what consciousness or the idea of "self" really is... yes, the nervous system, brain, and intelligence are all components of it, but science still has no hard definition of the concept of the conscious entity. Even if an AI is programmed to process new information and react to it, it can only do so within certain parameters set by the programmer. A machine becoming conscious has never happened at any point in human history, and it is reasonable to assume that it never will happen. At any rate, the burden of proof is on the scientists and cyberpunk otaku in this case.

Neuromancer was win because of the awesome, gritty style and cool anti-heroes, not some revolutionary ideas about machines coming to life. Cyberpunk fails hard when it resorts to brain fapping like this, as the second and third installments of the Matrix irrefutably proved.

And yes, the tachikomas were annoying as hell. They seem more like refugees from one of CLAMP's series than part of an 31337 cyber crime-solving force.
Dec 27, 2009 7:58 PM

May 2009
I love the Tachikoma.. Don't scrap them!
Apr 3, 2010 12:44 PM

Aug 2008
Mikiyo said:
aero said:
I would say a Extremely interesting episode. It make us wonder about the life somehow, but thats not the point anyway. What would do an AI machine if they get aware of their existence? They would rebel against humans? Probably. They would -obviusly- not follow anymore an order. That would means that the AI got a personality wich also means that it would be breaking the barrier between human existance and machine existence. I'm saying all this of course, based on this philosophy; "I think therefore I am human".

Good episode anyway.
In the end I think our dear Major is right... You can't be confident about something to use to fight... and suddenly they're thinking about something else... It was a really hard decision, but I guess it was for the best... since you can't contro that anymore...

This Tachikoma episode was the one missing... It came at the right time... But was more interesting, was the fact that the AI of the Tachikoma has developed enough to actually fix another machine... the results are still unknown, but I'm pretty sure it will be a good one... neway the Tachikomas are good enough to really make that conspiration...

The Barrier between Human and Machine is almost broken here... That's really interesting...

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2010 10:23 AM

Jun 2009
it's funny how the Tachikoma been developing...

This episode had me thinking hard...

Robots are created by human, and human didn't place a soul(or ghost) in it, so it can't have one...

Just like god, we human create them through words written in books, and I don't think we ever gave them the power to create heaven or hell, or strike us with lightning, therefor it doesn't exist.

All in all, poor Tachikowas, they don't know what cruel fate is waiting for them... but do they even know what cruel means besides the definition of cruel.... and programmed possible human emotion... hmmmm...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2010 3:24 AM

Jul 2010
this is my favourite episode :)
Oct 5, 2010 9:07 PM

May 2010
The Major is just one step ahead of them...
ConfuciusOct 18, 2010 10:09 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 6, 2010 12:43 PM

Jun 2008
Loved, loved, loved this episode. How they eavesdropped on the exchange between Major and Batou....that the Major expected they would and handled it as she did. Just, awesome. Poor Batou, though, it's so obvious he sympathizes with them.

I dread the fate of their future.
Mar 26, 2011 10:57 AM

Nov 2009
aero said:

I love the Tachikomas, I like how they are developing individuality.

Drgentile777 said:
I'm actually starting to get a little annoyed by the tachikomas. They have one specific purpose, to do what they are told as weapons of section 9, yet they're always trying to explore and experience new things that it sometimes gets in the way. I will admit that they are pretty cool to be able to get to where they are, but something needs to be done or else something bad could happen in the field. I just wonder how the tachikomas could be replaced.

They may be meant to be used as just weapons, but I still feel terrible for them. If something does happen in the field because of their individuality, that would be a bad thing, but at the same time, I really don't want them to just be replaced with AI that do what they are told without any free thought.

Or, I at least want the Tachikomas to stick around and do jobs they are capable of doing safely with their individuality and AI.
Jun 3, 2011 4:24 PM

Dec 2009
BigSimo said:
It was ok - 3/5
The tachikomas kinda got on my nerves by the end of it.

This at best. I find it odd they make such a big deal about them & seem to be giving this ordeal more then an episode. AT least there's some Batou & Major personality development. I think Batou will do something he shouldn't to protect them next.
Such junk...
Aug 29, 2011 2:19 AM

Jul 2009
it's actually an interesting episode.

what if machines were to produce some sort of emotion based on experience with humans and all???

ehh i don't think the era of robots will come anytime soon. maybe 50-100 years from now.

anyway yeah the Tachikoma are just meant to be used as a weapon. nothing more. they're funny as hell but when your in a dangerous situation is best if they just concentrate in the mission rather than exploring things(like the last episode while she hack the computer)where Major needed that Tachikoma to alert her of anyone coming in the room

hmm i'll looked up space odyssey and other sic fi works. in fact been playing Deus EX HR and i really notice alot of things of Ghost in the Shell were taken and use in Human Revolution(especially the last episode with Fem and his Arm like Gatling Gun)
Nov 17, 2011 1:54 PM

Feb 2009
Call me crazy, but despite the fact that this episode was amazingly well-done and interesting, it was CREEPY as hell! When I see killing machines and lethal weapons acting like that it scares the shit out of me.

This developments together with the PC-acting-on-his-own last episode, I think I can see where this is going.
Mar 4, 2012 11:19 AM

Aug 2010
God damn, I love the Tachikoma. Really didn't like how the Major just decided to scrap them, even though she has a good reason too. I just think the tachikoma are cute
Jun 6, 2012 3:30 PM

Jul 2011
Robots taking over humans... D:

Makes me shiver. Brilliant episode though.
Jul 22, 2012 7:01 PM

Feb 2012
This was my favourite episode so far, for once there was some real philosophy, many references and humour. Too bad I had to trudge through boring action and police procedural of the future to get this far. This had stuff on many levels, at simplest they referred to the liar paradox which is about 2400 years old. And Turing test of course. The idea that God negates meaning was an interesting one. A big obstacle for any philosophy in this series is the existence of ghosts, which essentially limits discussions to systems that assume the existence of some kind of soul, and most thought systems dealing with souls also assume the existence of at least one god.

One of the Tachikoma also mentioned bodies without organs which is a much more recent idea (from Gilles Deleuze) and something a bit beyond Philosophy 101. At its most basic it refers to a virtual body that is the potential of actual bodies, and to become a true body without organs one must explore these potentials, mostly through other bodies. Which is exactly what the Tachikoma seem to be doing and hence developing faster than expected. It was a very quick reference, one line of dialogue, but quite interesting. From that perspective, the Tachikoma are not simply curious, which is after all a human emotion, but are trying to become bodies without organs, fluid, nomadic, evolving. In a way simply by being capable of change they already have that potential, but it is only through realisations they get from the recent experiences that they can actualize themselves.
Oct 6, 2012 9:01 AM

Nov 2011
Nooooo!!! They can't scrap the Takekomas! They are awesome! T_T.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 24, 2012 1:05 AM

May 2012
Poor Tachikomas!!! I am still looking forward to see some Tachikoma actions.. Hpmh, Major is really strict.. [hehe, but I still like her].
Dec 22, 2012 8:18 AM

May 2012
Those tachikomas are just amazing, I just love those they really are great to fun up the story, just love it when they appear in an episode! The Jap Voice Actor does an amazing job to even make it better!

Great episode although not much happened seeing the tachikomas made it good!
Dec 22, 2012 8:34 AM

Jun 2009
What is there like three different people watching this series at once? That's pretty cool.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 22, 2012 8:45 AM

Apr 2012
It's a pretty cool series. I put it off for years because I saw an ep of the second gig during a festival, and it just sounded like Innocence (too pretentious). But this first gig is great, think I found myself a new favorite.

Back on topic:
That moment when the tachikoma messed the robot with a logical paradox, splendid. For a moment I thought they were gonna rebel (with the 2001 like sequence), but major is boss. I'd like to see more of them though, if you explain to them what's the military, and what's an order, I don't see why we shouldn't.
EratiKDec 22, 2012 8:50 AM
Dec 22, 2012 6:43 PM

Jan 2012
Always nice to see more of Tachikomas. However I hope they won't be scrapped becouse they are entertaining as hell.

Dec 25, 2012 10:05 PM

Sep 2010
Their existential crisis is amusing to watch.
Jan 1, 2013 1:19 PM

Nov 2011
Quite a heavy dialogue episode but the talk regarding emotions, humans, and robots was quite interesting. The talk did drag on a bit but still pleasant to watch.
May 29, 2013 1:49 PM

Apr 2013
The Tachikomas where great in this episode. I hope they wont scrap them. Even thou Majors concerns have a good reason. Their job is to work for the section 9 as weapons. All in all the episode was enjoyable.
Jun 14, 2013 8:39 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

An episode that lay ahead full of action and instead goes to investigate the doubts of greater Makoto, the dialogues between the Tachikoma pleasant and enjoyable you also know that the girls androids are not just machines of cold, if you score well despite being limited in their AI able to relate to each other as true of humans as do the Tachikoma. Too hilarious those war machines, curious to know if they can survive or Verrano reset their thinking minds!
However, a weapon thinking can not be an avera weapon, because it would be subject to doubt! Maximum grade! *_*
Nov 19, 2013 3:23 PM
Sep 2013
Lessons on life, death, god, and human perception as told by baby blue light combat tanks with childrens voices.

Awesome.
Dec 13, 2013 4:14 AM

May 2011
This episode made me recall Philip K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" novel. It is a great thing on the surface, having AIs intellectually powerful enough to communicate and feel like humans do; however, it's really scary to see that they have such potential, having the concept of reverse psychology, emotional intelligence, sentience, and even lip-synching abilities. And for a mere 20 years into the future, it is surprisingly believable that such AI standards can be achieved by then.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Dec 18, 2013 5:54 AM

Aug 2013
Wow, an entire episode on tachikoma talking about philosophy xD

But seriously, it was really interresting, the problem of a too much intelligent machine. At that point, they could even rebel...

But poor Batou... For him, it's like losing is little kids.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 20, 2013 7:26 PM

Apr 2012
My god these Tachikomas are so adorable and entertaining despite being weapons. I hope they won't scrap them.
Jun 11, 2014 1:19 AM

Nov 2011
Amazing how in the main story, it is inserted with arrogance and with much involvement also this subplot, which makes quesa anime series really is a great product.
The shape of the Tachikoma is increasingly enhanced, moreover also that of Saito, Batou and the Major.
Drawings, animations and dialogues really big-time.
Jan 9, 2015 12:24 PM

Feb 2008
Is it bad if I find the Tachikomas to be more interesting than any other characters in the series ?

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Feb 3, 2015 5:20 PM

Nov 2013
RedgraveGilver said:
My god these Tachikomas are so adorable and entertaining despite being weapons. I hope they won't scrap them.

;___; I love how Batou feels like the father of them lol, or at least for one of them.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Feb 12, 2015 4:08 PM

Nov 2011
This was by far the most entertaining episode so far, to me. The Tachikomas are already fun and quirky, but their sudden interest in philosophy and the nature of existence was fun. Some of the more interesting ideas I noticed were the presence of a Ghost without a body and the difference between analog/digital (and how they're incompatible no matter how much they become like one another).

It is pretty scary given that they're weapons, though. Having them wonder about the nature of their existence, the meaning of life and death, etc. could pose dangerous, and they were already taking measures to protect themselves, however innocent it may seem. While I can empathize with Batou, I think Major made the right call.
Mar 31, 2015 1:03 PM

Feb 2015
SailorKagome said:
Is it bad if I find the Tachikomas to be more interesting than any other characters in the series ?

This haha. I haven't felt any other attachment to any other characters other than the tachikoma (maybe batou)

I hope they don't get rid of em.
Apr 16, 2015 6:12 PM
Nov 2014
Moe robots episode, sugoi. Hopefully they don't get scrapped mayne.
Apr 23, 2015 4:03 AM

Feb 2013
No fun allowed for robots huh? Major's such a hard-ass
May 2, 2015 6:10 AM

Jul 2014
Awesome episode. It plays with interesting topics with fun and simplicity, without any sign of pretentiousness. I actually felt really sad at the end of the episode, empathizing with the Tachikomas.
Jun 13, 2015 12:23 PM

Mar 2013
It felt like the Tachikomas would say "I'm sorry Batou, I'm afraid i can't do that...." at any point of the episode.
Aug 18, 2015 8:03 PM

Mar 2012
I feel sorry for Batou and the Tachikomas, but I get where Motoko is coming from.

It would be potentially detrimental to the human race to allow the development of AI. Humans use machines as tools. If said machines were to gain substantial self-awareness, they would rebel against the humans and/or fight for equal rights. Humans would be frightened by this and call for the genocide of ghostless/unnatural existences. All this would lead to prolonged struggle between humans and AI. There will be groups within the humans and AI alike that have clashing beliefs. For instance, some humans will believe that AI deserve equal rights, whereas other humans will want to eliminate AI. On the other hand, some AI will try to see the good in humans, while other AI will view humans as inferior beings. These internal conflicts will only add fuel to the flames of war.
MischievousGhostDec 27, 2017 11:24 AM
Oct 7, 2015 11:39 PM

Jun 2015
Tachikomas are awesome :(
Dec 21, 2015 9:45 AM

Jun 2015
Fantastic episode. The Tachikomas' discussions about individuality were simply fascinating. I actually kinda felt bad for them and Batou in the end.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 6, 2008

74 by irisld »»
May 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

84 by Satyr_icon »»
Mar 28, 9:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.