Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 3, 2020 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So this show has war maidens fighting mysterious forcees involving aerial combat...

Claudia, Azuzu, and others take flight in aircrafts to fight these "Pillars". Premise itself sounds generic honestly. The dogfight feels more or less like watching a flight simulator but I get the idea the show is trying to get across.

That Miayko girl is cute though. I see the show likes to also add some character chemistry but I honestly hope they take time to develop the cast. Gotta say though, the otherwordly designs of the monsters are pretty strange. The special is about 55 minutes long.
Oct 3, 2020 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
This 1-hour special premiere episode may be just very well THE STRONGEST start ever of the Fall season (so far), not just hype from Re:Zero's scriptwriter Tappei Nagatsuki, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid's character designer Takuya Fujima and Girls und Panzer / High School Fleet's world-builder Takaaki Suzuki, not to mention the high-quality animation that's come to be expectant from A-1 Pictures. What a star-studded production team.

A refresher on this series: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-02-29/re-zero-writer-tappei-nagatsuki-nanoha-vivid-artist-takuya-fujima-girls-and-panzer-adviser-takaaki-suzuki-make-warlords-of-sigrdrifa-anime/.156984

The idea of battle maidens (or Walküres as these strong girls (which Nagatsuki mentions that he takes a certain liking for his longtime dreams) are called) being the face of protection of the Earth is nothing new, but with a concept like that from the novelist of Re:Zero, like last season's Deca-Dence, I'm not gonna anticipate for anything to come (lest being disappointed at a newbie director's debut) and just go straight for gold on ANY plot twists (just as is for any original anime).

The 4 Walküre pilots (pink-haired Sonoka Watarai, white-haired Azuzu Komagome, black-haired Miykao Muguruma and central character "Death Valkyrie of Salvation" blonde-haired Claudia Bruford) seem quite nice and are unique based on their piloting styles, and are definitely reminiscent of Takaaki Suzuki's style in High School Fleet.

On the other hand, to expect the "good vs. evil" part of Nagatsuki's story: the war between humanity with the maiden Walküres and monsters of all kinds called Pillars, the concept also is interesting, but will definitely have to see where it goes from there. If it's the subject of death, we would already have known his prowess in Re:Zero, so it's to be said whether that will play a huge role (at least it is now towards Claudia Bruford).

A condesending but fun and rigorous start, and definitely not here for the hype. I'm VERY impressed.
Oct 3, 2020 8:39 AM

Feb 2018
KANLen09 said:
This 1-hour special premiere episode may be just very well THE STRONGEST start ever of the Fall season (so far)

really?
PV looks like it will be another cheap strike witches clone

ok, I'll give it a try

Oct 3, 2020 9:07 AM
Jun 2017
Good start. I like it.
Oct 3, 2020 9:56 AM

Feb 2019
Bro this shit was fucking incredible oh my god. What an amazing first episode. Already my anime of the season. I’ve been looking forward to this since it was announced earlier in the year.

The double length was perfect for this. Laid the foundations of the story and set the tone very well. Sound design, fights, art, animation, voice acting, all god-tier.

Kinda felt like a mix of Eva and Azur Lane. The girls are all so cute, loving their chemistry in the early going. Miyako and Azu are my faves so far.

I’m really excited for this story to unravel and find out the origin of the pillars. I feel like Odin, as usual, is hiding something, and I can’t wait to see how it plays out
Oct 3, 2020 9:57 AM

Feb 2020
Pretty cool first episode, already love this show!
Oct 3, 2020 10:03 AM

Jul 2017
I'm surprised that this show out of all shows, got an 1 hour premiere, and it just felt really generic to me. Ending of the episode was solid though, and I do like Claude and Azuzu to a degree but the show's story wasn't that compelling whatsoever.

I don't like Re:Zero too much so it's not like I expected gold from Tappei Nagatsuki but this just felt bland as heck conceptually and some of the interactions were meh too. Production was average as well. Still, hopefully the fact that the ending was okay and I liked a couple of the characters regardless of mediocre writing can help me enjoy this very slightly atleast.
Oct 3, 2020 10:14 AM

Jul 2015
I didn't like at all. I found it pretty repetitive and bland. The characters weren't that great either.

Well, if you liked Strike Witches, maybe you will like this. Not my cup of tea.

Pass
Oct 3, 2020 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
After watching the episode i am just wondering how Japanese people come with those ideas, suddenly anonymous creatures appear from nowhere to destroy the world, and who will save it ? 14 years old cute loliis with colored hair and in world war 1 airplanes from 100 years ago 😂 that’s japan for ya 😂😂
Oct 3, 2020 10:28 AM

Feb 2017
This was really good, I loved every minute of it.
Oct 3, 2020 10:31 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, this was fantastic as well. What's up with Fall 2020 and all these lit premieres?

The setting is great, action packed and the battle sequences are very exciting.

Loving the characters, they're bright, quirky and a ton of fun. Miyako is my favorite so far, with Claudia and Azu behind her. To be honest, the moment Miyako became my favorite was when she leapt out of the plane with the Katana to destroy the core up close and personal. That was cool as hell.

I wouldn't be surprised if the pillars are some kind of test for humanity, given that Odin appeared at the right time to give humanity the power to fight back.

Excited to see what direction this will head.
Oct 3, 2020 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
This felt like Azur Lane a lot to me. Also surprisingly a double length premiere to boot. Pretty interesting start too, I like the setting and the girls are cute.
Oct 3, 2020 10:38 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
i CAN'T DECIDE who best girl is, holy shit
Oct 3, 2020 10:39 AM

Feb 2018
Surprisingly good. Colorful, cute, military - it has some potential. I'm in.

Heroines (especially Claudia) feel generic a bit + action needs more fluidity and direction (as Strike Witches one), but overall it's a well done show. Nice one, A-1.
Oct 3, 2020 10:41 AM

Apr 2014
With this and Assault Lily airing and the theme being similar as, girls fighting the unknown - I wish this had something more interesting to provide visually. It sorta has the bland A1 imagery. Luckily it has a strong staff but everything feels duller than it should be. The directors first directorial role after supporting much of Kaguya and Grancest made me very hyped. Its not bad I think I had an unrealistic expectation. With the story being written by ReZero dude maybe its plot will be more engaging. For now I will continue with this and I am glad Aniplex is giving this original the priority by having a double length first episode.
Oct 3, 2020 10:49 AM

Jan 2014
Damn, what an opener! Already love it from the get go. The combat through airforce certainly is different for me, and the opening cast of characters are all wonderful in their own right.
Oct 3, 2020 10:54 AM

Dec 2015
Sigh... This is another one of those mobile game advertisement isn't it...
Oct 3, 2020 10:57 AM
Councilor

Apr 2017
Great start with a double-length episode. Claudia, who is a very serious person and came from a very serious atmosphere is re-assigned to Japan's base, a relaxed and fun haven.

A lot was developed and set up for the rest of the series. I'm sure this will be battle not just with the so-called "Pillars" but with herself too, overcoming the title "Grim Reaper" crowned upon her.
ChaduosOct 3, 2020 4:13 PM
Oct 3, 2020 11:00 AM

Aug 2013
Seems similar to Strike Witches and other series but the use of aircraft is a first for me.

Miyako quickly became my favourite character.

It was nice that this was a double length episode. Got me interested.

Oct 3, 2020 11:14 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh shit, almost one hour premiere surely needed more time to reassure of me about what was goin in general. Well, this episode felt in a mixed feeling on me. The story seemed okay with a lot of mystery surrounding it, as always need a time to judge the story aspects in a good terms or just shit. The girls looked very promising, already announced all of them in the first episode. Its nice, its unpacked everything as fast as possible, no need more time to worry about the introduction. Still, my impression always on a lower level, depend what was goin on in the next episode.

So far, the aerial combat was good, and its animation almost fluid and very catchy at my understanding, as always. The design of the girls and their personality were kinda generic, but its okay for the first time, need more time to be invested with their antics. Overall its really an okay introduction, as usual, really standard, and deserved more of my attention. As i am just more concern about their dogfights scenes, or i must said, their military aspect, much rather than to had a serious problem over their story aspects, i think this is just a fine show to caring moreover. Yeah, despite such a minus impact with the weird origin and seemed nonsensical of their enemies, i may turned off my brain a bit of it, and took this series into my fullest attention.

Lets see their next episode.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Oct 3, 2020 11:18 AM

Feb 2020
Interesting start to this anime. A-1 Pictures with the insane sound and animation, likeable cast, and a good start to an interesting story. Looking forward to more of this original anime.
Oct 3, 2020 11:50 AM

Nov 2016
Decent start. The girls are likeable and the ending was touching, gotta agree that the double length made this more engaging. But it kinda feels like one of these shows that's trying to sell you more than it can deliver. Nonetheless looking forward to accompany Claudia on her journey, hope for similar feels as in Violet Evergarden.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 3, 2020 11:54 AM

May 2017
FMmatron said:
But it kinda feels like one of these shows that's trying to sell you more than it can deliver.

It's Tappei. If Re:Zero is any indication, he can definitely deliver.
Oct 3, 2020 12:05 PM
Dec 2017
Man this one was pretty boring, i'll stick around for another episode but I don't really see why people like it so much.
Oct 3, 2020 12:07 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pretty cool first premiere, this! 50 minutes of screen-time first up is a great idea, I feel.

Aside from some of the needless dialogue here and there, the feel of the episode was on-point. Quite the lively bunch we've got in Tateyama Base though, it must be said lol. Claudia's warm welcome in the end there was very nice to see as well. Sanji's VA playing the commander role to follow up from tomorrow's Burn the Witch is pretty cool too, I love his charisma and voice.

I don't know about the whole concept of the aliens or whatever they're though. Can't say that hit home quite but A-1 Pictures certainly is providing a visual treat, to say the least.

I've been looking forward to this and so far, so good. Here's to hoping we've got ourselves an interesting Original show to look forward to for the season!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 3, 2020 12:34 PM

Nov 2016
ycleped said:
FMmatron said:
But it kinda feels like one of these shows that's trying to sell you more than it can deliver.

Based on this episode, through dialogue and exposition it highlighted how urgent the situation is, yet during the actual battle the stakes couldn't keep up and it felt too dramatic for it's own good. The saving grace will hopefully be the chracterisation and development of Claudia or maybe we will get some shocking twist.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 3, 2020 12:46 PM

May 2013
Very confusing story beginning but I kinda expected it from tappei. But despite the pretty good animation, the very clean and cute character designs this seems to smash a lot of other series' features together. Plane fights from girly air force, giant monster attacks from nge and of course norse mythology.

Still this double length episode was highly enjoyable and great to look at, the girls all have their quirks and a funny chemistry already. Am looking forward to what tappei is gonna deliver to us, the chances that sigrdrifa is a hidden gem of this season are still very high
Oct 3, 2020 12:46 PM

Jul 2019
pretty good episode. I like it. will continue to see how this all plays out.

----

FMmatron said:
ycleped said:

Based on this episode, through dialogue and exposition it highlighted how urgent the situation is, yet during the actual battle the stakes couldn't keep up and it felt too dramatic for it's own good. The saving grace will hopefully be the chracterisation and development of Claudia or maybe we will get some shocking twist.
I agree with the first part about how it ended up being unnecessarily melodramatic. Though I would like to also believe that there is more than meets the eye with the other characters. Their dialogue between each other and Claudia was well made in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if they were a let down though.
Oct 3, 2020 12:49 PM

Nov 2016
NextUniverse said:
pretty good episode. I like it. will continue to see how this all plays out.

----

FMmatron said:

I agree with the first part about how it ended up being unnecessarily melodramatic. Though I would like to also believe that there is more than meets the eye with the other characters. Their dialogue between each other and Claudia was well made in my opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if they were a let down though.

The characters are definitely what's making me want to stick with this show and I hope that aspect won't end up being underwhelming.

Oct 3, 2020 12:53 PM

Sep 2019
50 min first episode was good. Girls are really cute and I liked the animation as well. The monsters didn’t catch my insterest but it can definetly be improved. I think they are using the loud sound effects way too much. These are my only problems so far.
Oct 3, 2020 1:14 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
These pillars though sure prove to be fearsome threats indeed. Still that strike that the Schwertleite launched sure was impressive. Though the cost in lives was far too high. Interesting in that the Valkyria's fight using older model fighters though. Still that fight that pitted Claudia and Azu's wing against the jellyfish sure was fun while also showing the kind of tactics and dynamics present within such units. Miyako sure is quite the energetic girl. Its interesting in that despite being a frontline base it feels more like a community than a base. Still looks like each of the valkyria's here have their own quirks that got them assigned here. Azuzu's way of banishing Claudia's fears sure was interesting. Though there were complications its nice to see their first sortie end up being a successful one. An excellent opening ep that featured a good mix of action, world building and comedy. Though this wing might be one made up of oddballs man they sure are a entertaining group. While the premise is a tad genetic the idea that it's aiming for is one thats always welcome to see.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 3, 2020 2:01 PM

Mar 2020
I really liked this. It's an original so you do not know what to expect but holy did this first episode get me invested.

Now we have cute girls driving planes. I also like how the mood switched from serious to fun to serious to fun. The question is will the anime be about 4 pilot girls just going around defeating giant pillars the entire time?
I don't know will have to find out!

Great first episode :)

Oct 3, 2020 3:19 PM

Apr 2015
That double length of a first episode was a surprise, didn't expect that one bit!

It's a good start, definitely not the best out there, or the most hyped but still I loved this a lot to my surprise. So far what I am most invested in are the characters, they all seem like a lively bunch and are all cute in their own way.

I swear, the more I look at Sonoka, the more I see Iroha from Magia record...

Action was actually really good as well.

I do like this idea of pillars and it's unkown creatures it spawns, I swear the opening scene looked like a Steelix-centipede like thing. I look forward to more strange designs for the creatures.

Oct 3, 2020 3:30 PM

Oct 2010
KANLen09 said:
This 1-hour special premiere episode may be just very well THE STRONGEST start ever of the Fall season (so far), not just hype from Re:Zero's scriptwriter Tappei Nagatsuki, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid's character designer Takuya Fujima and Girls und Panzer / High School Fleet's world-builder Takaaki Suzuki, not to mention the high-quality animation that's come to be expectant from A-1 Pictures. What a star-studded production team.

A refresher on this series: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-02-29/re-zero-writer-tappei-nagatsuki-nanoha-vivid-artist-takuya-fujima-girls-and-panzer-adviser-takaaki-suzuki-make-warlords-of-sigrdrifa-anime/.156984

The idea of battle maidens (or Walküres as these strong girls (which Nagatsuki mentions that he takes a certain liking for his longtime dreams) are called) being the face of protection of the Earth is nothing new, but with a concept like that from the novelist of Re:Zero, like last season's Deca-Dence, I'm not gonna anticipate for anything to come (lest being disappointed at a newbie director's debut) and just go straight for gold on ANY plot twists (just as is for any original anime).

The 4 Walküre pilots (pink-haired Sonoka Watarai, white-haired Azuzu Komagome, black-haired Miykao Muguruma and central character "Death Valkyrie of Salvation" blonde-haired Claudia Bruford) seem quite nice and are unique based on their piloting styles, and are definitely reminiscent of Takaaki Suzuki's style in High School Fleet.

On the other hand, to expect the "good vs. evil" part of Nagatsuki's story: the war between humanity with the maiden Walküres and monsters of all kinds called Pillars, the concept also is interesting, but will definitely have to see where it goes from there. If it's the subject of death, we would already have known his prowess in Re:Zero, so it's to be said whether that will play a huge role (at least it is now towards Claudia Bruford).

A condesending but fun and rigorous start, and definitely not here for the hype. I'm VERY impressed.

I didn't want to quote the entire thing but 100% how I feel as well. It was a utterly fantastic first episode and I CANNOT imagine them doing it in any other way besides a "1 hour" special. Pacing was basically perfect, tbh.
Oct 3, 2020 3:31 PM

Jun 2017
The whole premise makes zero sense whatsoever but it was pure fun and I really dig the characters already. Calling it now this could turn out to be a hidden gem this season.
Oct 3, 2020 3:57 PM
May 2017
There is no big game-breaking concept here, but for what it wanted to do, it was executed perfectly.
It's funny that all this modern equipment and still of course the last hope of humanity are teenage girls flying WW2 planes, but this is anime, so no complaints there.
The characters aren't exactly unique, but not too cliche as well, overall I like all 4 of the main characters, so good job there. Had some serious moments so to a certain extent you can take the story seriously, but overall pretty light-hearted.
I really like original animes so I'll probably be watching.
Oct 3, 2020 4:15 PM

Jan 2018
TenshiTobacco said:

PV looks like it will be another cheap strike witches clone

It felt like that the first 10 minutes, but then it gets better
Oct 3, 2020 4:50 PM

Jan 2019
So the reason for everyone at the base to support Claudia and not care that she is "the Grim Reaper" is because she is beautiful? What a bad reason. I expected a little more from this anime, since it has the author of Re: Zero.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 3, 2020 4:57 PM

May 2018
So these Pillars join the long line of giant human destroyer aliens that can only be destroyed by anime girls.
Neruroi, Alone, Noise, Zai....

Also the base commander is Rackam from Granblue Fantasy. I can't take him seriuosly, I keep on imagining the "Rackaaaam" memes lol

Overall that was a great first ep. This season is like Christmas for me!
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Oct 3, 2020 4:58 PM

Mar 2007
Whoa. This is my AOTS.
Oct 3, 2020 5:39 PM

Dec 2010

wtf is the point of using obsolete fighter planes over jets against an enemy with better tech (ie. the fucking laser beams they shot)

i might as well be dropping a terrorist strapped c4 on them instead then
GoukenslayOct 3, 2020 5:44 PM
Oct 3, 2020 5:57 PM

May 2020
Well, it was a nice episode but idk for me something is missing. The only thing that really caught me up are the girls haha, theyre cute and have a great personality.
Oct 3, 2020 6:30 PM
May 2016
Bleah, dumb plot and awful cgi, I'd much rather see these girls in another show. They just don't fit this one.
Oct 3, 2020 7:00 PM
Jul 2018
What an amazing first episode! This is not what I was expecting at all, but I’m already hooked!

I’m already in love with all the characters!
Oct 3, 2020 7:50 PM

Jul 2015
That was as freaking great first episode! Making the start be double length was a wonderful choice, it really gave us time to introduce the setting and give lots of nice interactions between the characters, I already love everyone.

If the series can keep delivering this mix of good comedy with the obvious drama and fear the setting creates (the freaking Pillars man, spooky shit) this series has a ton of potential... can't wait to get attached hard to the characters all to see them suffering hard later on, oh god.
Oct 3, 2020 8:06 PM

Apr 2019
I get the feeling that the studio is illustrating other countries as stiff and too conforming. the interactions at the japanese base were just so unrealistic it made me cringe. First episode was below average but i'll keep watching I guess

Oct 3, 2020 8:21 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't realize how long it would take but I was still satisfied.
Oct 3, 2020 8:47 PM

May 2010
There's....healing elements and the monsters are cute.
Oct 3, 2020 9:05 PM

Apr 2016
It took 10 years, but it looks like we finally have another good show from A1 pictures
Oct 3, 2020 11:13 PM

Oct 2016
It started kinda slow but, it definitely picked up eventually. Some Norse Mythology inspirations, and we got shota Odin in the house.

I liked the 4 main girls and the Tateyama base staff. But, my favorite out of the them all is definitely Azuzu so far, but they are all great.

I didn't know it was going to be an hour long special episode so, that surprised me. Though that was great though, gave a good enough time to establish the characters and the plot. Definitely one of the good shows in this already packed season.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Senyoku no Sigrdrifa Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2020

36 by Gamer715fto »»
May 28, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Senyoku no Sigrdrifa Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 24, 2020

67 by Lolicon »»
Apr 27, 2023 7:11 PM

» To remind you about this show, close-up faces SS here~

sharosharo - Mar 15, 2022

2 by sharosharo »»
Mar 15, 2022 6:57 AM

Poll: » Senyoku no Sigrdrifa Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Dec 26, 2020

63 by sharosharo »»
Mar 15, 2022 2:00 AM

Poll: » Senyoku no Sigrdrifa Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2020

29 by sharosharo »»
Mar 15, 2022 1:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.