Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Aug 18, 2019 10:46 PM

Oct 2016
-Nice bloodshed in the beginning. Thorfinn's first kill was pretty intense.
-That language thing was really weird. It's always weird in anime when they say "I'm speaking _____".
-I thought Thorfinn was going to scream again at the end. It was pretty cool to see him just sigh instead.
We like saying "it's a dog eat dog world" now-a-days, but in this era of humanity, there was a lot more truth to that. I'm glad they didn't shy away from the brutality.

Aug 19, 2019 5:45 AM

Apr 2017
Birdsanddrugs said:
shane_nichols said:
Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit that.

Both are great studios. To be fair sometimes Wit studio also gets into an animation trance and makes a scene epic af like they did with a few scenes in AOT.
i just wanted to say this about ur signature: "O Kawaii Koto~"
Aug 19, 2019 7:07 AM

Jun 2017
I'm glad that he's much more of a warrior now, but damn, poor village. That old lady killed and then... her daughter... yeah, we all know what happens to her now.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Aug 19, 2019 9:42 PM

Mar 2019
The pain and horror of the life you leave behind in an instant with that first kill.
Aug 20, 2019 4:46 AM

Jan 2016
What a great episode. The climax, with the woman dissapearing, and the ED, it was perfect. It really highlights the growth of the MC.
Aug 21, 2019 7:10 AM

Dec 2018
Another good episode really like Askeladd Son of Olaf ,He became some weird father figure for the boy. And i love when the bad guy spare the weaker warriors life and telling him to better himself and come back because he is not worthy to by his sword yet.The boy have better himself and will become stronger . The scene at the end was really strong seeing to severe consequence of war. Also enjoys the animation it looks good

But anime i want to see Females warriors ,, There are a lot of Viking Legendary Heroines . Gudrid Thorbjarnardóttir, Freydis Eiríksdóttir , Sigrid den Stolte, Lagertha the legendery leader of the Shield Maidens feared by all men.She was also married with another women!! YES!!.The female where equal to the males and went to war with them . You have 6/10 and will not move up until you included the strong heroines!!We are extremely proud over our strong warrior females!! And they are a important part of our culture and heritage

Yuri-CrusaderAug 21, 2019 8:34 AM
Aug 21, 2019 11:16 AM

Dec 2011
On the one hand, it's really nice that there was some attenton paid to the difference in spoken languages and thus the inability to communicate right off the bat, but on the other, well, the execution could have been better if both nations didn't speak the very same one on screen. Dunno. It always feels off, but it didn't make the episode that much worse.

Thorfinn's life isn't a walk in the park, but he's trying to cope with it. Adapt to the situation. Hell, we're talking Vikings here! Then again, it was still painful to see that heartbroken old lady cry in front of him.

Apart from all I've said, that mid-air spinning attack Thorfinn did to defeat those two soldiers reminded me so much of Levi that I couldn't help but laugh XD Well played, WIT!
Aug 21, 2019 11:23 PM

Jul 2016
Thorfinn's reaction after killing for the first time was quite realistic. Really liked the way how it was portrayed.

And the scene with the old lady crying at seeing Thorfinn killing those soldiers was perfectly handled as well. I almost could feel her emotions.

Very good episode overall.
SouthRzVaAug 21, 2019 11:26 PM
Aug 28, 2019 9:41 AM

Aug 2016
I am not disappointed, but I feel like watching berserk that doesn't have the balls to be one. At least, so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2019 9:52 AM
Aug 2019
Martin_Taylor said:
I am not disappointed, but I feel like watching berserk that doesn't have the balls to be one. At least, so far.

Give it some time, there are only 8 episodes so far. Though what you watched so far are flashbacks and two anime only episodes. You most likely won’t like episode 7 because that is chapter 1 in the manga, back when Vinland was a shounen
EchoAnEternityAug 28, 2019 9:58 AM
Aug 31, 2019 10:57 PM

Mar 2012
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.

The difference is that Vinland has a good story&characters when Dr Stone is pretty pathetic on all criterias.
I don't remember him kill them so easily in the manga but I was young when I read it, so I don't know if the anime amplify actions...

CGI is bad as always.. it's the same even for Kimetsu which has a pretty good animation overall.
I don't know if you still watching this but this part was fillers and the child part was very short on the manga. If you want something more realistic (with no fight) you need to wait the second season tho.
Nov 2, 2019 6:35 PM

Jul 2013
I take it back, Thorfinn is not Eren Jaeger, he's Anakin Skywalker! A Darth Vader in the making. Damn.
Nov 20, 2019 12:53 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
H's already a killer? It seems this Anime will have several time skips because maybe this revenge story will have to take decades or more.
It's sad how the old lady saw him as her John, and then when she cried in disappointment. Man this is going to be a heart-wrenching story.
Nov 30, 2019 3:44 AM

Feb 2019
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The cruel life continues for Thorfinn. On the battlefield, we're also getting more bodies dropping. However, I do admire his bravery and his fighting skills semes to be improving. Someone as young as him taking on gronw up soldiers is also a feat in itself.

Thorfinn is lucky that he survived in that battle. Really looking forward to how much more this season plans to develop his character.

i think that the story is quite boring so far, most of the characters are pretty unlikeable, the only character i liked had to die in the beginning and now i have to follow the new MC who is eh
Dec 11, 2019 3:34 PM

Aug 2017
Ok, that ending was very sad. The old lady was heartbroken when she saw what Thorfinn was. And ofc, she was killed in the end despite it was not explicitly shown.

I'm growing to like Askeladd as a character more and more.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 12, 2019 11:12 PM

Feb 2010
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.

I almost burst out laughing a little too loudly when you even mentioned Dr. Stone. Honestly, if you look at just about every shounen anime in existence , they're all pretty 'unbelievable'. If we were to rate an anime show based off how realistic it is...well then how does that statement even make sense.

I mean, if you want we can make the comparison since you insist. Just looking at the FIRST episode where a boy is turned into stone moments before his high school confession and some genius kid counts by the second for a whole three thousand years, essentially rebuilding civilization single-handedly thanks to his encyclopedia brain and let's compare it to this historical anime featuring vikings.

Thanks for the laugh I honestly really needed that felt good 😂

I do agree the action scenes aren't all that interesting...it's a war I mean I don't see any crazy jutsus/superpowers/moves but I do appreciate the historical element of this show. I think I should be able to keep watching but I do think pacing has been a little bit interesting these past few episodes. Almost like you are expecting it to move more quickly but it's going places you don't expect.
EarlCielDec 12, 2019 11:20 PM
Dec 24, 2019 6:04 PM

Dec 2015
Thorfinn is growing up! Also, I felt bad for that old woman. I hope they made it out alive or were spared at least.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Jan 3, 2020 6:53 PM

Sep 2014
aaaaand dropped

I"m not listening to some filthy subhuman eat with its mouth open, nor do I want to listen to some worthless old traitor who doesn't mind selling out her people
Jan 4, 2020 1:59 AM

Aug 2016
looking at that woman was like looking in a mirror for the first time in ages.. that realization must have hurt
Jan 4, 2020 8:58 AM
Jan 2020
This revenge plot looks interesting. The way Thorfinn changes from a small innocent boy to a killer reminds me of

Overall a great episode that transitions well into the coller, more action-oriented episodes.
Jan 10, 2020 9:17 AM

Mar 2015
Thorfinn getting stronger by being among his enemies..
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 18, 2020 12:50 PM

Nov 2012
Glad to see he's getting a bit stronger but still not warmed up to thorfinn. Hope we see the the return of his surviving Sister and Mother soon too.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Feb 2, 2020 8:38 AM
Jul 2015
Idiot annoying kid, such lowly human, no pride, fk why this series get high rating
Feb 18, 2020 3:30 AM

Dec 2012
Man, what a heavy episode. The brutality is increasing and Thorfinn is being consumed by the carnage laid before him.
Mar 7, 2020 8:47 AM

Mar 2019
Damn,the years passed so fast.Ouch,the ending was sad :(.I mean,I love Askeladd,but they kill everything in sight.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Mar 9, 2020 2:11 PM

Apr 2016
Thorfinn is starting to look the part as a warrior. It's only a matter of time before he surpasses a certain someone.
Apr 1, 2020 2:28 PM

Dec 2019
Great episode, finally Thorfinn becoming a badass, i was waiting for this, every episode is better n better.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 20, 2020 12:01 PM
Discord Moderator
Divine Protector

Sep 2019
Sad seeing Thorfin becoming what Thor's never wants him to. Another good episode
May 7, 2020 7:55 AM

May 2016
It was awesome seeing Thorfinn turn from a weakling into such a fearless and brutal fighter as the years went by but I'm genuinely upset at him for what he's done. He didn't have much of a choice if he wanted to take his revenge on Askeladd and he did warn the two kind folk using their language but he's become the very thing he swore to destroy at this point...

I guess this is the cruel reality of how things were like in these barbaric times.

May 7, 2020 9:19 PM

Apr 2009
His father just told him to use only his weapon to defend not to kill. *sigh*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 25, 2020 11:11 AM
Dec 2019
This episode has to be the turning point of the series, as we have Thorfinn's first kill, and how has potentially lost some of his humanity when he betrayed the woman and daughter.
Jun 1, 2020 2:31 PM
Sep 2018
That sad for the women :(
Jul 3, 2020 2:44 PM
Aug 2017
That ending was sad
Jul 5, 2020 8:42 AM

Mar 2010
thorfinn kills a few people and now thinks he is hot stuff, not yet boi you need to rape a good few women you beta. Was hoping he would rape that old hag and that blonde bitch.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 28, 2020 7:39 AM

Feb 2018
What a powerful episode, for a brief moment Thorfinn experience the life of having normal family and such stuff. And for the lady for once to felt on how loving experience having a son that she once lost.
And he felt care and sympathy but it just didn't work because of the barriers.
Great development of the story on Thorfinns journey of becoming a full-pledge Viking that kills to regain that honor of his deceased father.
Aug 16, 2020 2:17 PM

Feb 2013
I hope that the old woman wasn't killed.
Oct 2, 2020 9:25 PM
Oct 2019
So good.

Thorfinn has become a killer.

But then has his Thors' I-hate-this moment when he realizes he just condemned that mother and daughter - who saved his life - to death.

I understand he doesn't have much of a choice right now. But what a brutal life these last 6 years.
Nov 24, 2020 6:58 PM
Jul 2020
Anime logic: both characters speak Japanese but are somehow unable to communicate with each other.
Dec 7, 2020 12:29 PM

Sep 2020
6 episodes in and I'm sure this anime is going to take me to a strange but interesting story, Thorfinn was lucky not to die in multiple situations and Askeladd seems to be a very enthralling character, he says words that you wouldn't expect from the guy who pretty much killed Thors in a cowardly manner...

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 29, 2020 4:22 AM

Jul 2015
Good to see language barrier still exists in this anime unlike some other anime. Pretty heartbreaking to see Thorfinn sort of working with his dad murders to get an oppurtunity to kill Askeladd, even bringing misery to the lady who helped him....

Feb 20, 2021 10:41 AM

Dec 2020
God this is such a good anime. I can't believe I waited this long to get into it.

War is bloody man.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out If I'm really alive."
Mar 5, 2021 11:46 AM
Jun 2017
Dude is really working with Askeladd for a chance to duel him lmao. Lowkey reminds me of how Hisoka joined the Phantom Troupe just for a chance to duel Chrollo. Obviously the circumstances are different but it does remind me slightly.
May 5, 2021 7:55 AM
Jun 2020
this episode was so cruel! Thorfinn is just a bloodthirsty killer now! and that poor women just tried to help him! i am really curious of whats gonna happen next. great episode
Jun 17, 2021 12:47 PM

May 2020
Cruelty life can build a character. Just like Thorfinn. Thought the girl and mom is alright.
Jun 20, 2021 9:08 AM

Jun 2020
A bloody childhood is really not fit for any child it's straight-up scary, And there goes his first kill damn that's something else

So the journey begins, The way he experiences each battle he improves a bit it's amazing to see how Thorfinn's progression in this season it's really eyecatching, I have a bad feeling about this mother and daughter acquainting Thorfinn

I thought they would die right there but damn the look on Thorfinn's face.
Jul 10, 2021 11:41 PM

Jul 2020
This is unrealistic on so many levels.At one time he was just practicing swinging swords and out of nowhere he learned to kill so many people.Sure when he first killed a man he had trauma but then it was like."Oh no,anyway" and he started killing more people with no training.
When the old women brought him in he should've just run away without getting any personal attachment.I hope she realizes that it was because of her which caused the killing of the villagers.
At least in Attack on titan,Eren does formal training to become a full fledged soldier but Thors just started killing people out of nowhere.Thors is like,the worst version of Eren Jaeger and I heard he's gonna get development in the coming season.Let's see how it goes.
6 episodes in and I'm already nitpicky and it is a very bad sign.Hope this season improves at least in the second half PLEASE.
Literally no episode has gone above 3/5 and this episode was like a 2/5
Mythologically said:

Other than the cgi and action scenes you took the words right out of my mouth.
ScordoloJul 10, 2021 11:46 PM

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 11, 2021 3:18 AM
Jan 2017
Scordolo said:
This is unrealistic on so many levels.At one time he was just practicing swinging swords and out of nowhere he learned to kill so many people.Sure when he first killed a man he had trauma but then it was like."Oh no,anyway" and he started killing more people with no training.
When the old women brought him in he should've just run away without getting any personal attachment.I hope she realizes that it was because of her which caused the killing of the villagers.
At least in Attack on titan,Eren does formal training to become a full fledged soldier but Thors just started killing people out of nowhere.Thors is like,the worst version of Eren Jaeger and I heard he's gonna get development in the coming season.Let's see how it goes.
6 episodes in and I'm already nitpicky and it is a very bad sign.Hope this season improves at least in the second half PLEASE.
Literally no episode has gone above 3/5 and this episode was like a 2/5
Mythologically said:

Other than the cgi and action scenes you took the words right out of my mouth.
bro do you have any idea of how time skip is working, this series isn't a shounen tournament when they are gonna show you the mc training, but you'll be stupid if you think he is killing people without training, they showed you how he trained to begin to use the daggers, the rest you deduce ig for yourself because the story is about something else.
Jul 11, 2021 3:43 AM

Jul 2020
@hamza121419 makes more sense but the thing is you're not really sure how did he became so op when the anime didn't even show his full training and straight away started killing people.In other words,I'm not fully convinced if he even trained or not.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jul 11, 2021 4:35 AM
Jan 2017
Scordolo said:
@hamza121419 makes more sense but the thing is you're not really sure how did he became so op when the anime didn't even show his full training and straight away started killing people.In other words,I'm not fully convinced if he even trained or not.
you have multiple hints that he trained: he wants to beat Askellad in a dual and he the later told him that he has to make huge efforts in order to get the chance to duel him, he literally chalanged him to make something big in the battlefield for him to be able to fight him. How would he able to to survive in the vikings world if he doesn't train in order to face the atrocity of the era? And Bjorn told him that he is starting to look like a warrior which mean he wasn't before and that he is making progress. Vinland saga isn't about getting strong to fight an enemy so training arcs are meaningless here. But there are enough information given to the watcher that show that the mc is training so hard and there will be more in the future.
Jul 11, 2021 4:45 AM
Jan 2017
@Scordolo about your comment in the ep 4 episode, i think you have misunderstood thors and Askellad characterization, i suggest this video if you have time, this guy made a in depth analysis about the themes of the episode and about the characters of Thors and Askellad. You can jump right to the review part, you don't need to see the reaction.

https://youtu.be/uL7XnID9ezM

I'm sorry in advance if you found me too nosy, but i believe ep 4 is one of the most crucial episodes of s1 and there are things that will be built up upon it, so i think one shouldn't misinterpret what the episode is about.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.