Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 12, 2019 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I think this show is starting to focus more on the character and relationship building. First episode was chaotic but this one seemed better.

There's also the info dump about sorcerers and what Granbelm is. Looks like Shingetsu's attempt to wipe away Mangetsu's memories failed. I'm curious about the true nature of Granbelm tbh. Hope the show will be able to develop its concepts better.
Jul 12, 2019 1:24 PM

Aug 2013
Mangetsu is just too pure.

Looks like Mangetsu is determines to participate.

Jul 12, 2019 1:41 PM

Mar 2019
Hoping this satisfies some of the people who seemed mad about the lack of exposition last episode. The more detailed introduction to our main characters this week definitely answers a lot of questions, but also leaves a lot more to get answered in future episodes. Looks like we’ll get to know more about our antagonist(?) next week.
Watch Granbelm
Jul 12, 2019 1:59 PM

Feb 2016
I absolutely LOVED several shots on this episode, they looked amazing

I must say, I'm surprised. First episode was a bit weird, but this one... THIS ONE got me really hooked. It seems Mangetsu wants to fight in order to be someone, to have something to look up after. It seems we are up for a very emotional ride!

That Cliffhanger tho, I'm curious to see why is it that Ernesta is so hated by that other girl.

"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jul 12, 2019 2:30 PM
Apr 2013
I'm honestly surprised... The show actually turns out rather decent. I mean, its no instant classic or something, but its decent, watchable and even somewhat enjoyable.

However I HAVE to mention the VA of Mangetsu. If my ears dont play jokes on me that should be Toyosaki Aki, right? She had with Momo (To Love Ru), Uiharu (Railgun) and Yui (K-On) some iconic roles, but somehow, I only hear the Yui. Like, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Mangetsu pulls out Giita and plays Fuwafuwa Time. Well, having Toyosaki-san there makes the anime even more enjoyable for me, so what gives ^^
Jul 12, 2019 2:30 PM

Feb 2019
The story and characters are improving. I'm really liking Mangetsu so far, and it seems Anna, I think, isn't a mindless antagonist/villain based on that cliffhanger. Granbelm has the potential to be the dark-horse of this season.
Jul 12, 2019 2:34 PM

Oct 2013
The story and characters are mind-numbingly boring...dropped
Jul 12, 2019 2:54 PM

Feb 2018
Anyone else sensed this Madoka vibe when Mangetsu said she was useless and stuff? It reminded me of the first conversations between Madoka and Homura in the beginning of the series. I have a good feeling about Granbelm, let's see how it goes. =D
Jul 12, 2019 3:09 PM
Nov 2013
Nice, quite the improvement from the last episode. We get some good character building and background information on magic and how it plays a part in the story, the ost was especially great.
Jul 12, 2019 3:10 PM

Feb 2019
ci_nagaoka said:
Anyone else sensed this Madoka vibe when Mangetsu said she was useless and stuff? It reminded me of the first conversations between Madoka and Homura in the beginning of the series. I have a good feeling about Granbelm, let's see how it goes. =D
Yeap, yeap, I think that's one of the reasons I'm liking her =D
Jul 12, 2019 3:55 PM

Sep 2014
VanishingKira said:
Seems better when it doesn't involve the mechas imo.

Certainly.

Play2X said:
However I HAVE to mention the VA of Mangetsu. If my ears dont play jokes on me that should be Toyosaki Aki, right? She had with Momo (To Love Ru), Uiharu (Railgun) and Yui (K-On) some iconic roles, but somehow, I only hear the Yui. Like, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Mangetsu pulls out Giita and plays Fuwafuwa Time. Well, having Toyosaki-san there makes the anime even more enjoyable for me, so what gives ^^

It is Shimabukuro Miyuki, sorry for the bad news!
joexmdqJul 12, 2019 4:06 PM
Nothing important. Keep scrolling.
Jul 12, 2019 4:04 PM

Nov 2016
HereticHunter said:
It seems we are up for a very emotional ride!

This is what I hope for too. So far it showed a lot of promise and the tone is really, really good too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 12, 2019 4:10 PM

Feb 2019
I am a sucker for Madoka spin-offs, I must admit. This episode was much better than the first, because yeah, it's better when it's focusing on the characters and not on the mecha fights, at least for me.

I haven't seen ReZero (people were saying in the previous episode discussion that the character style is similar because there's some staff overlap), so this is starting to grow on me slowly, it was a bit distracting in the first episode.
Jul 12, 2019 4:57 PM

May 2018
I relate to Mangetsu so so bad

next ep we'll get some more fighting! I'm a sucker for giant robots so I can't wait
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jul 12, 2019 4:59 PM

Mar 2010
As expected this took a much needed break from the action in episode 1 to recontextualize what happens and provide some characterization for the characters. Mangetsu is the most focused here and episode did a decent job displaying her pathos and why it lead a seemingly ordinary girl like her to participate in Granblem. I'm guessing her family part of some very long forgotten mage bloodline, perhaps ones hat cast off their magic heritage hence why she wasn't taught anything about this until now.

Right now what I don't get is the point of becoming a Princep means exactly aside from inheriting a power that was once common. Magic was mostly sealed off from the world due the dangers brought about by it's misuse from what I understand so I'm not sure why this position needs to exist unless it necessary for sealing process to remain? Or is one allowed to whatever they want with that power? Too little is known about this particular detail at the present. Hopefully that is revealed at one point, otherwise while this isn't doing anything groundbreaking for the genre it was solid 2nd episode. Till next week!
Jul 12, 2019 5:04 PM

May 2017
Man, this show is absolutely incredible. The art and animation are very good, the OST is top notch, and the directing just elevates it all.

Usually even in shows I'm enjoying, I find checking the time once or twice seeing how much is left in the episode.... but not in this.

The atmosphere immersed me entirely into the story and I actually really care about the characters.

The only thing I am hesitant on is the mortality aspect - there don't seem to be any major consequences for the losers, other than, well, them losing. It would have dramatically increased the tension if we had found out that one girl who was defeated had actually ended up dying, but it looks like she's still alive.

If there are no visible drawbacks to fighting, I might change my opinion on this show, but as of now it's truly a diamond in the rough for me and the show I am most attached to so far this season!
Jul 12, 2019 5:44 PM

Feb 2016
ycleped said:

The only thing I am hesitant on is the mortality aspect - there don't seem to be any major consequences for the losers, other than, well, them losing. It would have dramatically increased the tension if we had found out that one girl who was defeated had actually ended up dying, but it looks like she's still alive.

I actually disagree on this one, While I think there should be a major punishment for losing, I think death would be really cliché here, after all, there are things worse than death that could be explored.
~Blackwall
Jul 12, 2019 5:52 PM

May 2017
HereticHunter said:
ycleped said:

I actually disagree on this one, While I think there should be a major punishment for losing, I think death would be really cliché here, after all, there are things worse than death that could be explored.

I do agree with this, which is why I went onto say "If there are no visible drawbacks to fighting". Hopefully they do end up revealing possible consequences for fighting, which might come next episode! Death was just an example I was using, but I didn't necessarily make that the most clear.
Jul 12, 2019 5:57 PM

Jun 2015
After the train wreck that was the 1st episode (seriously it was too action packed with little info), I finally decided to continue with this series and not drop it!
I loved the visuals, the characters and their interactions. Also, a little more is being revealed in each ep so that's way better!
They all feel the same adjust to the pain..like tears in the rain..

Jul 12, 2019 5:59 PM

Jun 2010
This show will be more interesting than I thought.
Jul 12, 2019 6:05 PM

Jun 2019
Guess I'll be dropping this. I can clearly see the Madoka vibes and I really didn't like Madoka but I can respect the worth of this show for Madoka fans.

inb4 yuri-crusader and his comments about the opening scene

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jul 12, 2019 6:44 PM
Apr 2012
is this related to granzord? Similar title, similar mecha design. I never watch granzord though, just accidentally saw some of it's robot toys
Jul 12, 2019 6:45 PM

Feb 2016
ycleped said:
HereticHunter said:

I do agree with this, which is why I went onto say "If there are no visible drawbacks to fighting". Hopefully they do end up revealing possible consequences for fighting, which might come next episode! Death was just an example I was using, but I didn't necessarily make that the most clear.

Ah I see, guess I should have second read that just to be sure xP

Yeah, I do hope they show it next episode, specially considering how much hatred that girl has against Ernesta.
~Blackwall
Jul 12, 2019 7:55 PM

Oct 2015
I need action, just let the Granbelm begin already and stop with this talking nonsense.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 12, 2019 8:54 PM
Mar 2017
I think now I connect better with this anime, although the previous episode gave us some information about the magical world, that was very abrupt, but with this episode I feel that the situation is explained better and now everything connects and I can say that I join this trip.

The relationship between Shingetsu and Mangetsu is so cute at first, initially Shingetsu wanted Mangetsu to stay out of the Granbelm and forget everything, but when Shingetsu arrives at Mangetsu's class using a backpack and ruining her introduction with her adorable awkwardness they both came close, but then things got complicated when Mangetsu was honest with her final decision about her participation in Granbelm.

I felt very bad for Mangetsu, she has a severe inferiority complex in addition to feeling useless, that's why she offers to do the things that others do not want to do, she wants to be recognized and praised, but nobody notices her efforts and now that this opportunity in which she was recognized to enter Granbelm appeared, Mangetsu wants to try to participate and achieve until the end.
The scene in which the flowers begin to bloom for what Mangetsu did was beautiful, apparently Magetsu slowly begins to be aware of his magical power.

The appearance of Anna saying that Shingetsu is a demon left me curious, why is Shingetsu so hated by Anna? What is Shingetsu hiding? This episode left me with many questions that will be resolved with the passing of the episodes.
Jul 12, 2019 9:28 PM

Jan 2016
Like what some have already pointed out, this episode was a much needed shift from the sudden action and all to more character and world building, and I think it has worked out very well.

While the focus was on Mangetsu and her background, I also like how all the other girls were also given a fair bit of focus and set-up too, even Anna who wasn't the archetype angry woman who wants to win the fight-- there seems to be more regarding her antagonism towards Shingetsu. And her relationship w her allies seems to be getting rather shaky (my gut feeling is telling me that hakamada is kinda twisted in some way)

This anime, w its amazing visuals and good pacing so far has the potential to be the underdog for the season. I really wish it wasn't overshadowed by the big hits like Fire Force and Dr. Stone on the same day.
Jul 12, 2019 11:02 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm quite the situation to wake up into. Given that their daughter didn't return all night getting the police involved was logical of the parents. So now that the magic has been sealed away i guess the only mages left are those from the bloodlines. Given that no wonder Granbelm is such a fierce battle. Given their ages school is the perfect disguise for the girls in reality i guess. Shingetsu's outfit and intro sure ended up rather embarrassingly for her though. Accepting your own weakness and deciding to use what you have to help others i think is quite admirable in itself. Though when compared to the strong desires of their opponents though it does come off as weak. Still despite the difference in strength Mangetsu's latent magical power and her desire to prove herself looks to be quite strong as evidenced by that flower display. Overall a strong ep that while slow did well in expanding upon both Granbelm itself and the kind of motivations that its participants carry within them. The expansion into Shingetsu and Mangetsu's characters was also nice as well. Im quite curious about that final revelation from Anna though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2019 11:09 PM
Jan 2017
ycleped said:
Man, this show is absolutely incredible. The art and animation are very good, the OST is top notch, and the directing just elevates it all.

Usually even in shows I'm enjoying, I find checking the time once or twice seeing how much is left in the episode.... but not in this.

The atmosphere immersed me entirely into the story and I actually really care about the characters.

If there are no visible drawbacks to fighting, I might change my opinion on this show, but as of now it's truly a diamond in the rough for me and the show I am most attached to so far this season!

Honestly, I believe that having lost is a punishment more than enough. Based on what Shingetsu said, the participants spent a large part of their lives (at a minimum) entering only to win the competition. Therefore, losing means that the efforts and sacrifices they made over the years did not signify anything.

Also, keeping in mind that (at least, according to Shingetsu) all the participants are willing to die to be able to become magicians, probably living for the rest of their lives in failure, knowing that they lost the only opportunity they had to make reality their dream (Become a magician) are a punishment much worse than death for them.

There is also the possibility that the losers can not return to use magic (because of the broken stone of the girl that mangetsu defeated) but that will look over time.

PD: If I made some mistake I apologize. English is not my native language and I'm working on the google translator to write this.
CL372Jul 12, 2019 11:18 PM
Jul 12, 2019 11:34 PM

Oct 2015
7.00 is the perfect score for this show. Cmon MAL users
Jul 12, 2019 11:46 PM

Jul 2012
I was waiting so much for Mangetsu to say "how unfortunate" after Shingetsu introduction.

Second episode was way better than the first one.
Digimon is the best Isekai
Jul 13, 2019 2:06 AM
Sep 2016
Yep, I have a feeling this will be my "I love it but everyone else hates it" show this season like Fairy Gone was last season. I'd give it a solid 7 so far, but it has potential to become an 8, depending on where it goes. The whole idea of magical girl mecha battle royale has a ton of potential. I'm interested to see what happens in the month leading up to the next GRANBELM.
Jul 13, 2019 6:01 AM

Sep 2014
Came for cool mecha action, stayed for strong character writing.

The direction and storyboarding are very good as well. This show is the surprise of the season for me.
Jul 13, 2019 7:40 AM

Feb 2017
LILIES! Lilies everywhere, can they be more on the nose about being a yuri anime?

Also guys don't worry about the score, you'll soon find that most of the time is useless that gives crap like kenja no mago a 6.9 and good stuff like YU-NO a 6.3.
Jul 13, 2019 7:43 AM
May 2013
seeing that Mangetsu (Full moon) and Shingetsu (new moon) both relate to moon my guess is that both of the girls are a decendent of the same mage i guess?
Jul 13, 2019 7:45 AM
May 2013
Nemesis_Ranka said:

next ep we'll get some more fighting! I'm a sucker for giant robots so I can't wait

Well sadly the design is kinda bad.
Btw nice Kenja avatar^^
Jul 13, 2019 8:23 AM

May 2018
yuukiwr said:
Nemesis_Ranka said:

Well sadly the design is kinda bad.
Btw nice Kenja avatar^^

The mechs do lean rather heavily on the SD aesthetic, while I do like the SD look it would have been cooler to see a more normally-proportioned mech design.

Haha thanks. Just started reading the manga a few days ago.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jul 13, 2019 9:03 AM

Dec 2014
As much as I like mecha, this show certainly does feel better without the mechs despite the mech action looking quite good. The irony.
Jul 13, 2019 9:33 AM
Jan 2018
how is she a demon , no clue how she come to that conclusion , the MC is probably that lost mage everyone is talking about
Jul 13, 2019 9:48 AM

Mar 2016
muh stakes
muh explanations
muh mechs

Mangetsu's simple desires are interesting in contrast to the 'magical is unnatural and bad' perspective that you'd think the MC would automatically latch onto in a show like this.

Going from such a hectic first episode, to this, it doesn't feel like it was a 'break' for the animators. It looked good. Someone else mentioned storyboarding, and yeah, it was done very well. The music near the end had a lot of impact. This should be a straightforward but solid series.
Jul 13, 2019 10:43 AM
Oct 2012
Well at least there isn't QB to mess things up with contracts, but it seems the emotional and psychological impact will be severe on the losers of the Granbelm tournament.

Shingetsu trying to erase Mangetsu's memories to no avail, so Shin seems to have magic. I can understand how Mangetsu feels when nobody gives you recognition, even if you do things nobody else does, and wants to prove that she did something.
Jul 13, 2019 10:50 AM

Dec 2018
My precious angel Mangetsu is waking up ,, She is sleeping nude in her new girlfriends bed!!!!!...YES!!!!!!!,,,Very good start and glad to see that my lesbian couple already sleeps nude together,,so fucking glad,,,,After that awesome start my girl need to find a excuse why she didn't come home, instead spending the night naked in bed with her girlfriend!!!!,,,,YEEEES!!!!!,,Then they go up to her room for some more lesbian fun,,,,,,,and lesbian wrestling,,

The rains fall heavily in the dark night,,,Only to be light up by some lonely streetlights!!A female is getting yelled at and then cast out,,,Anime!!! She is a female and she may not be waifu!!!,,,,, But she still belongs to me!!!! She is a lesbian and have girlfriend!!!And she is crying!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,We are going to have a fucking problem because of this!!!!

And the next scene!!! No anime stop it!!! Don't show me my waifus cute school girl uniform when i'm angry at you!!!! you asshole!!!!t That have to take a price or something!!! Never seem such adorable uniforms!!! And i just want to eat does girls up!!!,, They look delusions,, My angels are so pretty!!!

And we having a serious incidence at the marked, a background male is close to one of my females!!!!!,,,ANIME!!!! Shame on you!!!!! She is mine!!! Leave her alone!!!! She is married already to another female!!! The wedding was fucking awesome,,And you where not invited!!! Now piss off from her,, You filthy animal!!!!!!!!!

We having troublesome scenes at the school!!! And i start the get very agitated to say the lest!!!!!,,,, My precious angel say the saddest of things that breaks my heart!!! And I start planing a brutal vengeance on a stupid anime!!!!,,,,,,,,,,,The outside is in full blooming pedals are flying in the wind my angel what to say something,,, Then she is interrupted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,,,,The end!!!!!!!!

For male being to close and harassing my background lesbian points of,,,,That combine with crying random lesbian females is one point!!!,,,,,,, And one points off for the word that come out from my precious diamonds mouth,,,Anime the females are mine!!!! ALL of them belong to me!!!!!,,,You cant mess with them however you damn please!!!!,,,,,,,Do whatever you want with gross males!!! The story and all the rest!!!! But you leave my girls alone you freak!!!! You had 7/10 for messing with my girls ,,,Your stupid ass now have 5/10 ,,,,,,I'm utterly disappointed in you!!!!,,,Be ashamed of yourself and your behaviour!!!,,,,,This is a disgrace!!!,,,,,Now you go and stand in the corner of shame!!!!! And think about what you have done!!!!,,,,I don't even want to look at you anymore!!!!

Only reason why you have points at all,,,,,,,, Its because well my waifus waked up naked in her new girlfriends bed,,,,Next time more Yuri!!! And the other shit i don't wanna hear about it in the future!!! Anime tone it down!!!If you keep attacking my angels we are going to have a problem!!!!!It fucking ends now!!!!

Yuri-CrusaderJul 14, 2019 3:15 AM
Jul 13, 2019 3:31 PM

Oct 2007
Mangetsu wakes up naked in bed, and Shingetsu taking a shower. That looks like an "after-sex" scene. -- just kidding. xD

some needed character development happens here. More characters from the OP are introduced as well.
I sort of understand what Mangetsu is thinking. She seems to have no special talent at all, she brings lunch for everyone to try and get noticed. Then finding out someday that she can do magic and pilot a magical robot, it would be hard to give up those.

The red-haired girl feels hot... well, she's always angry so that must have an effect on always feeling hot.

And why is Shingetsu a "demon". What did she do in the past?

no robot action this time, but still an entertaining episode. Looking forward to next week.
Jul 13, 2019 3:59 PM

Aug 2018
Much better episode. I’ve got to watch E1 again and see which way this is going, and learn who the cast is.
Jul 13, 2019 4:22 PM

Oct 2012
They had to choose lilies huh. Does this mean "We'll queerbait you guys to death" or "They're gay", I wonder. Not a bad episode.
Jul 13, 2019 5:28 PM

Jan 2018
this episode features the dilemma of becoming something you're not supposed to and what sort of decision you'd make, not just accept it immediately and go with the flow
Jul 13, 2019 6:28 PM
Jul 2019
As usual, scenary are stunning and beautiful.
Music is good.
Now we have the story episode instead of all the actions.
Jul 13, 2019 7:12 PM

Oct 2008
hmmmm tame 2nd episode...but i look forward to the next episode cuz it's better when there's conflict going on!...
3/5.

Jul 14, 2019 12:27 AM

Feb 2017
umu, so this series kinda like one rock shooter.
focusing in character interaction and conflict between their beliefs.
sprinkle some magical girl, action and mecha.

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jul 14, 2019 2:49 AM
Feb 2019
I identify myself with Mangetsu's: "I'll do it because I want to be someone" monologue, I mean when you have the chance to do something the other ones are unable to do, won't you do it?

The show is more enjoyable without the mechas on the scene ! LOL

Looking forward for more episodes like this !!
Jul 14, 2019 2:56 AM

Jul 2017
This episode...cuts down the claustrophobic pace of the pilot episode and expands upon it, which I thought is a VERY needed touch.

And as distraught with newbies, "Full Moon" Mangetsu certainly is 100% empty in knowledge about Granbelm and its features of cataclysm, and the various mages which form a battle royale of sorts. About her own personality that conflicts with her true feelings, I understand from her pointview of wanting to be noticed, yet am OK with no one noticing her. Some people are like that, but as fate allows it, they make the final choice.

As for the other mages, seems that there's something brewing. About superiority, inferiority and all that stuff when it comes to pure power.
And as for Mangetsu, her thought process gives her power to keep moving on.

Shingetsu, a "demon"? What is going on?

Art and animation is gorgeous this episode. Nexus is really doing a good job.

Decent episode, coming from a follow-up.
Next episode may be the "make or break" moment.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2019

77 by 5hadow17 »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:57 AM

» Beauty..... so undderated.........

Ghefira - May 5, 2023

1 by NerdyMemer »»
May 6, 2023 2:55 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2019

79 by Ten »»
Dec 28, 2022 8:42 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2019

87 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:57 AM

Poll: » Granbelm Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2019

47 by Noodle070 »»
Aug 29, 2021 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.