Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 6, 2018 1:19 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The finale aired like weeks ago but MAL just came back so...

Looks like the rebuilding process began in the present timeline.

Mitsuru and Kokoro's child is also born. That look on Mitsuru's face when he sees his kid the first time though...
The fight in space felt like an amalagation of every emotional event in the series coming together. Zero Two's physical and emotional pain can be felt out there. Zero Two in her giant mech takes over the fight battle scenes as she charges right into the enemy. Very Triggr-ish top the over stuff.

Looks like the series went with a happy ending as expected....

Meh, I was hoping the show would have a less predictable ending.
Aug 7, 2018 11:26 PM

May 2010
Yeah I really wanted to post on the individual episodes to ask for explanation because I was really confused with their unverse in the beginning.

Tbh, I am still a bit confused and I kinda have to draw my own conclusions. but if any1 here knows the inside and out, please explain it to me.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 7, 2018 11:32 PM

Sep 2012
I can't believe this shit wasted my time with flimsy ass characters and disgraced the mecha genre just to make some commentary on how we treat the planet and don't spend enough time on interpersonal relationships. Almost every episode I found myself wishing out loud for tragedy to befall everyone in this show.
Aug 7, 2018 11:40 PM

Oct 2010
It made me kinda sad, the two lovers died. They spent eternity together but still.
The kids started building a new world which was fine.
I don't buy that reincarnation stuff, still sad about them.
Cool series overall.
Aug 8, 2018 2:23 AM

Jun 2017
Good series

Got in a lot more trouble than it deserved cause it was popular

Won't recommend
But I definitely enjoyed it
Aug 8, 2018 2:32 AM
Aug 2018
Aug 8, 2018 2:33 AM

Jan 2009
its not a masterpiece 10/10 material but its greatly enjoyable watch
Aug 8, 2018 2:39 AM
Aug 2018

QusteAug 8, 2018 2:43 AM
Aug 8, 2018 2:40 AM

May 2017
so lame
such anticlimax

literally pooped on it
Aug 8, 2018 4:56 AM

Feb 2015
Disappointed - that's how I feel about this series.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Aug 8, 2018 5:01 AM
May 2018
How is it possible that this thread was created in August 6 even though the forums came back just today?
Aug 8, 2018 6:03 AM

Jan 2010
Bittersweet ending. It sad they died and weren't able to keep their promise to return to their squad to see the new world they were building. But at least they met once again in their reincarnated life.

Darling in the Franxx was damn good.

[inb4 shit taste wars]
Aug 8, 2018 6:15 AM

Jun 2017
Boy was that a ride. I honestly didn't find the show as bad as people say it is, but the last few episodes are definitely worth a 1/10; they're HORRIBLE, since they created more plot holes than solve the previously existing ones, and the pacing, UGH. Not to mention it stole concepts from a lot of Trigger and Gainax shows throughout these episodes. I thought this was supposed to be a story on how teenagers were supposed to live through a postapocalyptic world while surviving by fighting and making their own decisions (with a bit of romance and SoL thrown into it), not a over-the-top intergalactic space battle mess! The show really should've ended at episode 15. But the ending was alright; if they came back alive it would've been even more satisfying.
Aug 8, 2018 6:23 AM

Aug 2017
Yeah, I remember the final episode. VIRM is still out there but, at least, our two lovers died. Funny ending. 2/5 for the episode.2/10 for the anime.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 8, 2018 6:24 AM

Nov 2014
this series is one of my fav for winter beside grancrest senki, actually i didn't have much interest iin it, but after watch few episodes( 9/10 eps), i realized i actually liked this series

as for the last episode, i think is wonderful although personally i feel a little bit dissapointed both hiro and zero two fullfill their promise in as a reincarnation, but as long as i know, i've been watched several mecha's beforehand, somehow the drama or romance thing that happened in mecha series is mostly ended in sad or bittersweet ending, like some of gundam's series, gurren laggan, code geass, and so on.

I personally really satisfied with this series, knowing it an original anime too, and i loved it 10/10 for me.
Aug 8, 2018 6:37 AM

Jun 2014
I hope I'm not the only one who found the erasure of Mitsuru and Kokoro's memories to be completely pointless. They still ended up together anyway and had kids......so what was the point....you know what, who cares? That forced drama is probably no longer worth thinking about.

Well everyone ends up getting their happy endings (and Goro is acting like Sasuke, leaving his wife to journey around lol) and now they're making their world a better place. All I want to know is what the hell happened to this show. The last third of the anime, I'd say, just went to shit.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Aug 8, 2018 6:43 AM

Apr 2016
In theory, the earth stuff is very emotionally satisfying. In executation, the characters are far too one-note and overall badly-written for us to care as much about their outcomes as the show wants us to.

Everything about Hiro and Zero-Two's space campaign was terrible. Once again, the frame rate slowed down dramatically since t could not handle the shit onscreen (when Gurren Lagann could over a decade ago and Bebop could two decades ago). The transformations reeked of bullshit trying to use Gurren Lagann's carefree "shounen it up; almost anything is possible" logic when it couldn't, and in the end, they didn't even fight the main head of VIRM. Somehow, plowing through their army caused the two to lose their mech and basiclaly have to reincarnate, and that takes care of the already bullshit Zero-Two turning into a statue situation? With the disastrous blueprints of the show beforehand, it's safe to say none of this worked on paper anymore, let alone in execution.

Just watch Evangelion, Gurren Lagann, and pretty much every GAINAX show involving mecha. This show basically wanted to be a weird amalgamation of them with a spin rather than forming its own identity and worrying about nods and references and whatnot later. Clearly the show suffered badly for this, as well as lack of foresight and even remotely competent storytelling. Hell, even the sex aesthetic and symbolism was done far more coherently and sensibly in FLCL, one of the most eccentric anime to ever become popular. Watch that instead as well. FranXX has nothing to offer. Needless to say, it's the worst show I've seen from this year.
CodeBlazeFateAug 8, 2018 6:48 AM
Aug 8, 2018 8:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Started off fine, brilliant in the middle body but then stuttered in the end. Definitely enjoyed the show nevertheless, but quite frankly I was let down by the ending. I was on to awarding this show a 8 score but then anything more than a 6/7 by the end of the series seemed like a little too generous of sorts.

Throughout the show, most of the characters aside from Hiro, Zero two, Ichigo and Mitsuru received little to no character development. What’s worse is that plot holes and a poor narrative followed literally wrecking this show. All of the previous Gainax/Trigger works was basically synthesised into these last few episodes to make it seem otherwordly brilliant, but sadly it fell long short.
What was up with Zero two iterally taking over the Klaxsaurs robot though?
What on Earth was Vmir again?
Who and how’d the two little Hro and Zero two even appear from and what was the relevance of this to the whole storyline?
And these are just a mere few Qs that arised in my mind when I finished this show and have since then persisted.

All in all, it was just a spectacular train wreck coupled with poor narration. I won’t be surprised is we get another season of the show though, but judging by the ever-so rushed ending, chances are very unlikely to prevail.

Storyline/Plot Development: 6.0/10
Characterization: 6.0/10
Sound Department: 9.0/10
Art/Animation Scale: 9.0/10
Personal Enjoyment: 8.0/10

Overall: A solid 6, 6.25/10.
_MushiRock11_Feb 11, 2020 11:58 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 8, 2018 8:29 AM

May 2013
Ending was shit. S13 got their happy family lifes and Hiro02 died after more than 2 years of space battle without any sleep only to delay the conflict with Virm. While the character conclusions for the squad was well done it still felt totally flat and underhelming, that's what happens when you fail to treat all 10 main characters over 24 episodes equally.

Solving Ichigoro relationship during a timeskip for example was the most cheap way possible and who cared for the other squadmembers anyway at this point...

All promises Hiro and Zero Two had made throughout their lifes were all just cast away at the end again for the sake of drama even the 'what it means to be human' trope was missed, they died as Klax and got reborn as humans.

I don't even want to mention the stupid 'shout-out through the universe to encourage Apus', the use of hringhorni, Hiro02' space wedding and honeymoon, why Nachi should be immortal or why squad 13 did finish the picture book.

Also even a little hint at the end that they remember their past lifes wouldn't have hurt but open, cliched end is king
Aug 8, 2018 11:53 AM

Aug 2015
Darling in the Franxx more like everything I hate about modern anime in a nutshell.
Seriously Trigger you went from making one of my favourite animes Little Witch Academia TV to this broken piece of shit that doesn't give a fuck about it's own audience.
Beyond awful characters who are tropey as hell.
Pathetic worldbuilding
Shitty writing
Horrible animation in the second half
Garbage series direction
Plot contrivances left and right
Horrendous pacing
Awful character designs that are ripped off from Eureka Seven and Anohana
God awful finale
Terrible English Dub that sounds more like a crappy Hentai production.
This show joins the ranks of Black Clover, The Asterisk Wars, Mirai Nikki, The King's Game and Big Order for being the worst animes I have ever seen period.
Don't do this again Trigger and screw you A1/Cloverworks for screwing up the show even more
If you liked or enjoyed Darling in the Franxx good for you but for me fuck this shit.
Just watch Eureka 7, Gunbuster,.Neon Genesis Evangelion or Gurren Lagann instead.
REST IN PISS!!!
0.5/10
TakaCodeAug 8, 2018 12:03 PM
Aug 8, 2018 3:29 PM

Sep 2010
Over dramatic ending to a very meh anime. It was good early on then it really went downhill.
Aug 8, 2018 5:40 PM

Aug 2015
PhantomKurata said:
Darling in the Franxx more like everything I hate about modern anime in a nutshell.
Seriously Trigger you went from making one of my favourite animes Little Witch Academia TV to this broken piece of shit that doesn't give a fuck about it's own audience.
Pathetic worldbuilding
Shitty writing
Garbage series direction
Horrendous pacing
God awful finale
This show joins the ranks of Black Clover, The Asterisk Wars, Mirai Nikki, The King's Game and Big Order for being the worst animes I have ever seen period.
Don't do this again Trigger and screw you A1/Cloverworks for screwing up the show even more
If you liked or enjoyed Darling in the Franxx good for you but for me fuck this shit.
Just watch Eureka 7, Gunbuster,.Neon Genesis Evangelion or Gurren Lagann instead.
REST IN PISS!!!
0.5/10

People who say Darling is an Eva clone should be gassed, liking darling has nothing to do with liking Eva. There's so many criticism you can choose from when criticising darling, but not being a fucking Eva clone. Hiro and 02 had motivations and a personality so they were nice and only made better by their relationship with the other, but they fucked them over in the ending. The worldbuilding was nice when it was drip fed to us by using the characters point of view and how they barely understood the inner working of their society on purpose, again fucked over by episode 19.
Aug 8, 2018 7:01 PM

Mar 2017
NGE + TTGL =

The buildup was meh, the mid-game ranged from ok to splendid, but the climax + ending really ruined this anime up. 5/10, and I am very lenient with it, partially thanks to trigger being part of the production.
Aug 8, 2018 8:21 PM

Apr 2016
Heavens_Kairyu said:
PhantomKurata said:
Pathetic worldbuilding
Shitty writing
Garbage series direction
Horrendous pacing
God awful finale
REST IN PISS!!!
0.5/10

People who say Darling is an Eva clone should be gassed, liking darling has nothing to do with liking Eva. There's so many criticism you can choose from when criticising darling, but not being a fucking Eva clone. Hiro and 02 had motivations and a personality so they were nice and only made better by their relationship with the other, but they fucked them over in the ending. The worldbuilding was nice when it was drip fed to us by using the characters point of view and how they barely understood the inner working of their society on purpose, again fucked over by episode 19.
That statement is so asinine it hurts.

This show isn't wholesale Eva per se, but let's be real: it takes several cues from, references, and has an extremely similar concept to Eva, and the final act of the show also directly adds End of Eva into the mix. Even some of the character designs are similar, like Miku and Ichigo to Asuka and Rei respectively. Saying they're nothing alike couldn't be further from the truth.
I have a whole blog dedicated to the similarities but here are some of what I found:

The show is far more of a Gurren Lagann clone, right down to the series structure and the second arc of FranXX taking the exact same structure as Gurren Lagann's. Oh, and the idea of letting us piece together the world for ourselves before the grand reveal is cool, but not when all signs point to the answers all being asinine. A lot of what was revealed in episode 19 really should have been expected in foresight.

Also, I love how you bring this up even though the person you responded to didn't even say that FranXX was an Eva clone (at least in that forum post) and instead, he simply listed it as a recommendation. Why not just make this a separate post at this point? You're not addressing anything he's saying.
Aug 8, 2018 9:47 PM

May 2012
Trigger did it again to be honest, it's been such a long time since I've really seen such a beautiful and heartwarming ending.

I was really amazed with that ending that it really got to me. Fantastic series in general full of very strong character development an amazing pacing and just a wonderful story to see.

Various parts really did reminded me of various Gainax series and well that I think keeps true with many of Trigger's series they make so wonderfully. Really loved this series in all and glad I marathoned it as it was just amazing!

All in all a pretty perfect watch!
Aug 8, 2018 11:13 PM
Aug 2018
This is now on my top 10! The fact that memory erased kids had to fight there way to freedom and knowledge was wonderful. Also the love in the story was amazing two kids one human the other Demon meet fall in love get memory erased (well part of 002) and then break the spell and remember everything and became darlings. I'm a grown man s#$t bout made ME cry. Anyway I loved this and hope to see a season 2!!!
Aug 8, 2018 11:22 PM

May 2017
From episode 16 onwards it was downhill, this is the bottom of the slope.
Aug 9, 2018 3:27 AM
Mar 2018
True. Fucking chinese cartoons give me a break. Another cliche ending when 2 MC have to sacrifice themselves for others...
Aug 9, 2018 3:34 AM

Jan 2014
From 20 episode this serie was a fucking speedrun with disappointing ending, bleh.
Aug 9, 2018 3:35 AM

Jun 2015
WTH @Stark700 how did you post this thread on Aug 6 when the forum was restored on Aug 8 ?

Aug 9, 2018 4:18 AM

Dec 2016
A really fun show that got pretty dumb for the final few episodes but ended on a really nice note
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Aug 9, 2018 4:24 AM

Sep 2011
And I was wondering how and why I watched everything. Heck, even my friends warned me to drop it already.

Holy shit it's a fucking roller coaster way downwards. The hype was understandable at first but it surely went into a huge trainwreck.

Aug 9, 2018 8:42 AM

May 2013
BaneofKermit said:
From episode 16 onwards it was downhill, this is the bottom of the slope.

Was to be expected since the producers didn't have exact plans for the second half of the show, it should develop naturally was what Nishigori said...
Aug 9, 2018 9:36 AM

Dec 2010
I have seen some really shitty endings but this one takes the cake. Not only it was disappointing but it contradicted the whole plot point of 02/Hiro relationship and whole "what is human?" theme.

So 02 wanted to became human to be accepted by her "darling". And the main plot point of the story was that Hiro accepted her because being human is not about the appearance and so on. What is more, after some events Hiro also became a klaxos thanks to his relationship and he accepted it.

Then boom they are reborn as humans, great conclusion. Well played

What about the whole Papa story? What about the old lady that Zorome met? What about the big blue hand that attacked them in EP15? Fuck this all, we need to go space.

This was troll ending and should be seen as one.
Aug 9, 2018 9:42 AM
May 2016
tearofmankind said:
I have seen some really shitty endings but this one takes the cake. Not only it was disappointing but it contradicted the whole plot point of 02/Hiro relationship and whole "what is human?" theme.

So 02 wanted to became human to be accepted by her "darling". And the main plot point of the story was that Hiro accepted her because being human is not about the appearance and so on. What is more, after some events Hiro also became a klaxos thanks to his relationship and he accepted it.

What about the whole Papa story? What about the old lady that Zorome met? What about the big blue hand that attacked them in EP15? Fuck this all, we need to go space.

Thats my biggest problem with the second half of the series. The whole theme was << what means to be human>> and suddenly they changed it to make babies and the way hiro and 02 died destroy all the build up and gives bad vibes that all who are not humans have to sacrifice their lives for all those who can give new generations.
Aug 9, 2018 10:03 AM

Dec 2010
johnhei84 said:
tearofmankind said:

Thats my biggest problem with the second half of the series. The whole theme was << what means to be human>> and suddenly they changed it to make babies and the way hiro and 02 died destroy all the build up and gives bad vibes that all who are not humans have to sacrifice their lives for all those who can give new generations.

What are you talking about? In the end they decided to not use magma energy as a tribute for them! /s

They had so many possibilities with klaxosaurus and APE. But basically they decided to make them almost-humans and aliens. Meh.
Aug 9, 2018 1:27 PM

May 2009
Stop shitting on Trigger. They didn't write the show. They did 5 episodes, last one they made was 15th.

_MushiRock11_ said:
All of the previous Gainax/Trigger works was basically synthesised into these last few episodes to make it seem otherwordly brilliant, but sadly it fell long short.

Which Trigger shows are you talking about?
Aug 9, 2018 1:54 PM

Apr 2017
I'm not sure what to say about this one. I can't explain why but I'm somehow not satisfied with those last 5 episodes. One thing I can say for sure is that they should never have gone to space route. It ruined the show for me. Also this series should have more than 24 episodes. I think that was their biggest mistake.

6/10 from me. Not a complete disaster but not a very good one either. It's just a watchable show.
Aug 9, 2018 2:09 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Least enjoyable anime I have ever watched. Every second was cringe. School days had better drama and romance than this shit. 0/10
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Aug 9, 2018 3:02 PM
Mar 2018
I think this episode can be described as either "WTF" or the definition of a trainwreck...
Aug 9, 2018 3:23 PM

Jul 2015
PhantomKurata said:
Pathetic worldbuilding
Shitty writing
Garbage series direction
Horrendous pacing
God awful finale
REST IN PISS!!!
0.5/10

Don't forget Mayoiga too.
Aug 9, 2018 4:06 PM
May 2016
tearofmankind said:
johnhei84 said:

What are you talking about? In the end they decided to not use magma energy as a tribute for them! /s

They had so many possibilities with klaxosaurus and APE. But basically they decided to make them almost-humans and aliens. Meh.
This make me feel so disapointed. This show had potential even with some flaws and after episode 15 it was like the kidnapped the staff and changed it last minute. The whole second half does not make sence with the first and in the end we get a sudden allien arc with many cliches, bad storytelling and useless deaths. Expept Hiro-02(their death did not help at all the story). they kill some kind of secondary characters in order not to kill one member of thr squad. And their death had not impact.
Also the plot twist was lazy and cheap. The could easily create a rebellion arc(it make sense with the rest of the story) with APE humans or some form of human without their bodies anymore, but instead lets just copy evangelion and gurren laggan even it make NO SENSE with the story.
Aug 9, 2018 6:09 PM

Jan 2013
This is it…this is the end, I can’t believe it’s over.

I don’t know what to say because I wasn’t expecting such a positive ending, it was amazing.

After all the space war etc I wasn’t expecting for a good ending, but this episode totally surprised me, this ending was so good and I think it couldn’t have been better, the only thing that I wish we could see is for Hiro and 02 to reunite with the rest of the team, that would be my only desire.
It’s incredible, after so many years they managed to defeat them, and if I got it right, they didn’t “died”, because their souls are still flying to find their home… amazing.

They all have grown so much omg! After so many months of watching this, it makes me so happy to watch this, they all grow up and so happy. They changed so much xD Goro and Ichigo was expected but her being pregnant xD woow

Damn Mitsuru, already on the 4th one? Take a break bro hahaha But for real, I think he never looked more manly than in this episode.
Miku and Zorome is all the same xD Nothing changed hahaha Miku looking cute as always.
I thought that Futoshi would marry a girl from the squad but I was wrong.

So what happened to Ikuno, is she all right? Because it didn’t seem like it :/

So happy that they all changed so much, I can’t believe how much they changed that “piece” of land, it’s a giant city now! So much hard work, when they were showing how that place changed over the years I couldn’t believe my eyes.

After amazing 24 episodes, it’s over, “All good things come to an end”, unfortunately…It was an amazing run, I think I didn’t have this feeling for a long time, this feeling of really enjoying a series and being worried about what will happen next, I don’t know how to explain this, but it’s rare and I glad I saw this anime. At moments like this I realize why I watch anime and why I like it, it’s for animes like these, rare….but totally worth it to wait.

Even though this ending was a little unexpected, (I mean the alien part) it was still amazing, and for me it’s a 9/10 or 10/10 without a doubt!

Thank you for these amazing 24 episodes guys! <3

A new beginning ;)

P.S – I just wish they release an OVA where they would all met and go out and have fun, at the beach or somewhere else, just a funny and nice episode where they all meet again.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Aug 9, 2018 6:37 PM
Jan 2009
I wish Zero Two and Hiro became parents and reunited with the rest of the gang. That was the main criticism I had other than they weren't shown sleeping together.
Aug 9, 2018 7:33 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
bastek66 said:

_MushiRock11_ said:
All of the previous Gainax/Trigger works was basically synthesised into these last few episodes to make it seem otherwordly brilliant, but sadly it fell long short.

Which Trigger shows are you talking about?

Sorry, I meant just Gainax.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 10, 2018 9:40 AM

Aug 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:

This show isn't wholesale Eva per se, but let's be real: it takes several cues from, references, and has an extremely similar concept to Eva, and the final act of the show also directly adds End of Eva into the mix. Even some of the character designs are similar, like Miku and Ichigo to Asuka and Rei respectively. Saying they're nothing alike couldn't be further from the truth.
I have a whole blog dedicated to the similarities but here are some of what I found:

The show is far more of a Gurren Lagann clone, right down to the series structure and the second arc of FranXX taking the exact same structure as Gurren Lagann's. Oh, and the idea of letting us piece together the world for ourselves before the grand reveal is cool, but not when all signs point to the answers all being asinine. A lot of what was revealed in episode 19 really should have been expected in foresight.

Also, I love how you bring this up even though the person you responded to didn't even say that FranXX was an Eva clone (at least in that forum post) and instead, he simply listed it as a recommendation. Why not just make this a separate post at this point? You're not addressing anything he's saying.

I never said anything about them not being similar, I just said that saying Franxx is a clone of Eva is retarded. They are similar in some ways but having similar visual cues in some parts doesn't make series similar, unless they mean nothing in the show that comes out later. For instance, the wings in episode 6 of Franxx clearly symbolised the Jian and it's an appropriate symbol. Somehow some people are mad because that looks like Eva01's wings in EoE, idk if you're one of those people, but I don't think these 2 things are similar, especially when the part with more wings was just there to make it seem like that white light was stabbing the Klaxo and was there for like 2 frames.

Franxx doesn’t have a similar concept to Eva beyond the child soldiers thing, which happens in pretty much every mecha anime so saying that is copying Eva would be dishonest. The Evas are piloted to fight angels to prevent third impact, this is quite different to the Franxx being used to defend moving fortresses to protect a people inside: if the robots lose the people inside die and it really wouldn’t be a big deal to the world at large, not to mention the Klaxos sometimes come in hordes. VIRM’s gimmick in the last few episodes is very similar to End of Eva, to not say maybe exactly the same. Rei is not similar to Ichigo aside from the hair colour, and even there the shades are different, I hope you’re not comparing them based on some of the dumb waifu wars the show had earlier on.

-The setting isn’t similar: other than the few visual cues they reused, a barren wasteland with mobile fortresses isn’t similar to a world where there’s still regular buildings around and people live life normally for the most part.
-Franxx seemed to care way less about his wife than Gendo, her death started his downwards spiral like with Gendo, but while Gendo remained totally focused on Yui, Franxx found something that enthralled him. While Gendo worked to be with his wife, Franxx was busy wanting to restore the beauty of humans and worked to restore the old society back against the SEELE of Franxx. He also became quite obsessed with Klaxos. The other things are pretty similar though.
-Fair enough, fortunately it’s a small enough part of the story that it doesn’t affect much of the viewing experience.
-I don’t even know what you tried to say, but the symbolism in the Franxx is about relationships and sex, while the Eva’s symbolism is about returning to your mum’s womb. Franxx pilots don’t pilot to not die, surely you’ve heard Hiro spell out to you many times why they pilot.
The 2 shows aren’t as similar as you’d want them to be.

I guess Franxx is more similar to Gurren Lagann, but I’d say that’s mostly limited to the last 2 or 3 episodes of Franxx being similar to TTGL’s space episodes. The episodes of Hiro getting closer and falling for Zero two are not similar to TTGL’s first six episodes where they’re already rebelling, for instance. I guess you might want to say more about everything pointing to asinine answers, that by itself is not much of an argument, after episode 10 there was plenty of discussion about the way the inner part of plantations work, and how the adults saw the kids as pets e.t.c, even episode 1 was weird in how Papa directly told the kids to sacrifice themselves for the adults and they didn’t care at all. I agree about much of the stuff in episode 19 being implied already, I complained about episode 19 in the first post.

My brain kinda connected his recommendations to saying Eva was similar to Franxx and I’m very annoyed at this notion, seeing how it's in all the top Franxx reviews, so I ranted about that. I messed up there.

Anyway, TTGL is more or less about manly spirit and persevering against all odds. Eva is about the difficulty of communication with others and how getting close to others makes you more vulnerable, with the show eventually saying you should try anyway because that has value. Franxx is more or less about how there’s value in being in a relationship where both compensate for the others’ shortcomings, and how that will make you better than the sum of the wholes. I really don’t think they’re similar enough, if someone liked Franxx one should recommend Eureka seven or other romances, since that’s the best thing about Franxx and what kept people watching despite the show going to shit at around episode 18.
Aug 10, 2018 10:50 AM

Apr 2016
Heavens_Kairyu said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

I never said anything about them not being similar, I just said that saying Franxx is a clone of Eva is retarded. They are similar in some ways but having similar visual cues in some parts doesn't make series similar, unless they mean nothing in the show that comes out later. For instance, the wings in episode 6 of Franxx clearly symbolised the Jian and it's an appropriate symbol. Somehow some people are mad because that looks like Eva01's wings in EoE, idk if you're one of those people, but I don't think these 2 things are similar, especially when the part with more wings was just there to make it seem like that white light was stabbing the Klaxo and was there for like 2 frames.

Franxx doesn’t have a similar concept to Eva beyond the child soldiers thing, which happens in pretty much every mecha anime so saying that is copying Eva would be dishonest. The Evas are piloted to fight angels to prevent third impact, this is quite different to the Franxx being used to defend moving fortresses to protect a people inside: if the robots lose the people inside die and it really wouldn’t be a big deal to the world at large, not to mention the Klaxos sometimes come in hordes. VIRM’s gimmick in the last few episodes is very similar to End of Eva, to not say maybe exactly the same. Rei is not similar to Ichigo aside from the hair colour, and even there the shades are different, I hope you’re not comparing them based on some of the dumb waifu wars the show had earlier on.

-The setting isn’t similar: other than the few visual cues they reused, a barren wasteland with mobile fortresses isn’t similar to a world where there’s still regular buildings around and people live life normally for the most part.
-Franxx seemed to care way less about his wife than Gendo, her death started his downwards spiral like with Gendo, but while Gendo remained totally focused on Yui, Franxx found something that enthralled him. While Gendo worked to be with his wife, Franxx was busy wanting to restore the beauty of humans and worked to restore the old society back against the SEELE of Franxx. He also became quite obsessed with Klaxos. The other things are pretty similar though.
-Fair enough, fortunately it’s a small enough part of the story that it doesn’t affect much of the viewing experience.
-I don’t even know what you tried to say, but the symbolism in the Franxx is about relationships and sex, while the Eva’s symbolism is about returning to your mum’s womb. Franxx pilots don’t pilot to not die, surely you’ve heard Hiro spell out to you many times why they pilot.
The 2 shows aren’t as similar as you’d want them to be.

I guess Franxx is more similar to Gurren Lagann, but I’d say that’s mostly limited to the last 2 or 3 episodes of Franxx being similar to TTGL’s space episodes. The episodes of Hiro getting closer and falling for Zero two are not similar to TTGL’s first six episodes where they’re already rebelling, for instance. I guess you might want to say more about everything pointing to asinine answers, that by itself is not much of an argument, after episode 10 there was plenty of discussion about the way the inner part of plantations work, and how the adults saw the kids as pets e.t.c, even episode 1 was weird in how Papa directly told the kids to sacrifice themselves for the adults and they didn’t care at all. I agree about much of the stuff in episode 19 being implied already, I complained about episode 19 in the first post.

My brain kinda connected his recommendations to saying Eva was similar to Franxx and I’m very annoyed at this notion, seeing how it's in all the top Franxx reviews, so I ranted about that. I messed up there.

Anyway, TTGL is more or less about manly spirit and persevering against all odds. Eva is about the difficulty of communication with others and how getting close to others makes you more vulnerable, with the show eventually saying you should try anyway because that has value. Franxx is more or less about how there’s value in being in a relationship where both compensate for the others’ shortcomings, and how that will make you better than the sum of the wholes. I really don’t think they’re similar enough, if someone liked Franxx one should recommend Eureka seven or other romances, since that’s the best thing about Franxx and what kept people watching despite the show going to shit at around episode 18.
This is gonna be a long one

I may have misinterpreted "liking darling has nothing to do with eva" to just "darling has nothing to do with eva", though both are wrong for different reasons (especially if part of why someone likes darling is because of some of the superficial and/or structural similarities with Eva). Apologies on that front at least.

The premise is similar, at least in theory. Angsty, not quite there mentally, teenagers pilot mechs involving synchronicity and some sort of symbolic aspect in order to take down weird creatures the pilots can barely comprehend that terrorize the earth's surface, while said pilots grow and/or deteriorate as people while people question the scheming government that is dealing with its own internal problems that affect the characters in the second half. Plus, the Eva pilots are literally defending a city that goes underground in the case of a major threat. VIRM's gimmick is almost entirely the same, sans the scale of their plans and the fact that they want everyone to be one with them instead of just being one in general. I specifically said that the character designs are similar. Regardless of the differing shade, it's still a main character with short, blue-hair that even has a similar haircut. I didn't mention anything beyond that.

Did you not pay attention when I specifically highlighted Tokyo-3 as the main setting and the plantation as the main setting? Both of those are underground cities (the former at will and the latter by design) and that Tokyo-3 and these plantation cities are similar? Aesthetically, they are similar, and they serve similar purposes, even if FranXX ventures out into new territories more. They might not be as similar as I described but they do bear at least a few striking similarities.

Yea, the Kalaxos are what really accelerated his spiral into madness, but losing his wife was what left him empty before that in the first place. He just managed to get something twisted to fill the void where Gendo was empty and bitter, feeling like Yui was all he had. The two did still focus on this whole idea of channeling a mechanized version of the creatures to combat them, even if the FranXX crew did so late into the game as opposed to Gendo and everyone doing it relatively early.

Both are major plot points though that pretty much direct the course of much of the final portions of both series (including the End of Eva film). Glad we agree on the fact that the whole APE/PAPA & NERV/SEELE was similar but we really can't understate just what happened, even if noticing the similarities isn't the real issue at hand.

Not once did I say that the symbolism between both shows was similar in regards to their mechs. I simply said they both had them. I agree that the symbolism that both shows go for is largely distinct from one another, hence why I didn't make that claim in the first place.

The arc structures of both series are pretty similar, and you can even surmise the first episodes of FranXX and TTGL in largely the same way, with a nervous and fixated kid having everything change when a hot girl busts in and he is inspired by someone with a commanding presence, before they all fight off one example of the major threat meant is meant to introduce us to what these characters will be fighting on the surface world for the duration of that arc. Arc 1 of both shows involve those main characters really getting to know everyone and especially each other more as they fight off increasingly powerful versions of this beast threat before the MC loses the person closest to him (temporarily in FranXX's case as opposed to permanently) before regaining the strength to continue the fight. Arc 2 is essentially adjusting to a new life after a pivotal battle before aliens show up and become the new main threat the main character, his crew, and previous assholes who now join the main crew must fight while his gf is in space trying not to be completely destroyed. Glad we agree on episode 19, though yea, the stuff they added was even worse than what previous episodes set up to be revealed.

It does kinda happen, since yea, while people do sometimes exaggerate the similarities to saying "this show is a carbon copy", the show does really try to ape without any real idea of how to make it work.

The shows are similar structurally, I said. They have different thought processes, but you can't look at the arc structures and even their introductions or major plot points and say that they aren't at least noticeable similarities between these shows. Honestly, I don't even think the romance works, as the relationship is oddly toxic, especially towards the second quarter of the show until episode 16 has Zero Two become just a regular nice girl & perfect girlfriend instead of this unhinged, abusive "monster" she was in episodes 10-15 or the mischievous, mysterious, slightly cold, yet still loving girl she was introduced as. I'd say that the ideas of world-building and character exploration they tried in episode 7, 10, and 11 were the best part, showing that with a more solid foundation and better foresight, this show really could have worked as a compelling distopian mecha action series about kids finding identity through bonding and having relationships...instead of the utter mess we were left with that started out messy and only got worse sometime after it began cleaning up.
Aug 10, 2018 1:14 PM

Dec 2015
Well, I guess that was somewhat okay-ish...? Overall, this anime was a clusterfuck. I liked the start, then it got somewhat tedious. Then the awesomeness that was episode 13 happened, but soon the anime went back into its usual bullshit. Finally, there was that final third, mostly filled with unnecessary and stupid things. This anime could have honestly benefited with less episodes or a more focused narrative.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 10, 2018 2:06 PM

Dec 2016
Lol @ the poll results

Can't say they aren't deserved, though.

What's the difference?
Aug 10, 2018 3:26 PM

Aug 2016
I probably would find this ending satisfying if the series wasn't so fucking awful, because I realli like endings that show the main characters getting older, having kids and all that stuff. However, this show had no build up for any of this, nor did it earn such a comfy ending, even the way the Parasites were saved from the whole fast-aging thing was cheap, Ikuno suddenly became Einstein and found an unexplained way of curing that somehow. I guess they realized Ikuno was worthless during the whole series and tried to have her do something in the end, even if it's forced.

The worst part is that the interesting plot elements that were introduced in that weird point where the series started to get good (episodes 7-13) didn't matter. What was the point of that Zorome episode that introduced a subplot about an old lady that feels familiar to him? What was the point of dedicating an episode to Ichigo saving Goro and possibly starting to like him if they would revert her development to loving Hiro later for the sake of adding contrived drama into the story? What was the point of making Futoshi seemingly accept that Kokoro likes Mitsuru if they're going to make him go back to crying over Kokoro being with Mitsuru for the sake of drama? What was the point of introducing the fast-aging thing about the Parasites if the show does nothing with it in the end?

God, I hate Darling in the FranXX.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 23 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Aug 8, 2018

49 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 6, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

39 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 6, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

45 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 6, 4:22 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

68 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 6, 3:55 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

259 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Jun 6, 3:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.