Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Smile Down the Runway
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2020 9:49 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Tbh, I love Chiyuki being able to keep up with the pressure this episode. She's in a position where she must prove herself.

Dunno how I feel about Kokoro but she has a lot of potential in this fashion industry even with her complicated life schedule. The more I watch this show, the more this anime to be realistic.
Feb 21, 2020 11:32 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
If you brought together Kokoro and Chiyuki you'd get the perfect model. Alas, each other lacks what the other has in spades.
Next episode should be pretty dramatic.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 21, 2020 11:37 AM

Mar 2016
I feel like this story should have just focused mostly on Chiyuki from the beginning. Her struggle to try and 'overcome' her height is so much more interesting to watch. All of the drama surrounding Ikuto is external to him, and he just falls into success so it's super boring.

Also, I can't imagine begging someone just to work somewhere. Fuck that. And if Kokoro by herself can keep that modeling agency afloat, then you'd think that manager would be treating her with more care (like is there something stopping her from just quitting that I don't remember?)
Feb 21, 2020 11:49 AM
Jan 2020
I'm really enjoying the show, I really like what the voice actors bring to the characters.

I'm not sure if it comes across as well as in the manga, but it seems like one of the themes of the story is "Do you do what you're good at or do you follow your dreams?" Most of the characters have some sort of innate talent but that talent does not serve into what their dream occupation is.

Chiyuki has incredible determinatione, but her short height makes her unsuitable to modelling. Kokoro is able to be a great model, but really wants to be designer. Ikuto is great at making patterns but wants to be a fashion designer.
Feb 21, 2020 11:58 AM

Dec 2017
I would like to know who the ost composer is because the ost sometimes gives me kaze ga tsuyoku vibes idk why lol
Feb 21, 2020 12:07 PM
Apr 2019
Idk but sometime kokoro looks weird art-wise, but sometime its perfect... maybe the animation or smth..
Feb 21, 2020 12:08 PM

May 2019
Damn that after credits scene tho... Hang in there Ikuto's mother, that's too soon!

I guess Wa is waratte or something, going by the show's title.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Feb 21, 2020 12:59 PM

Feb 2019
The same woman who started the story telling Chiyuki to give up because she isn't tall enough was encouraging her just a few years before telling her "don't worry about height, worry about aura"....maybe she should have blamed herself for the fact that Chiyuki kept coming to her auditions.

I'm not sure what kind of contract Kokoro has with her agency, but I can't imagine it is legal. She isn't asking to go work for a competing agency, she is asking to quit modeling. How can they refuse her? She's basically their slave the way the show is portraying it now.
Feb 21, 2020 1:22 PM

Dec 2014
We have so many fashion designers.... I wish we had more models in the show as well
Feb 21, 2020 2:06 PM

Feb 2015
There were too many things happened at this episode.. I hope everything will be okay with Ikuto's mother :(

I know "wa" can have the meaning of "cycle" but i wonder how they relate their designs to "wa"..

Feb 21, 2020 2:36 PM
Mar 2016
[quote=HOOfan_1 message=59181939]The same woman who started the story telling Chiyuki to give up because she isn't tall enough was encouraging her just a few years before telling her "don't worry about height, worry about aura"....maybe she should have blamed herself for the fact that Chiyuki kept coming to her auditions.

Back then she probably thought that her height would still grow and said it as temporary comfort and future advice that the right body doesn't cut it out alone.
Feb 21, 2020 3:05 PM
Mar 2017
Poor Chiyuki had to endure the bad time that the horrendous manager representing Kokoro made her go through, but Kokoro also had to endure a bad time having to continue working for that model-exploiting agency, free Kokoro.

I definitely prefer the Kokoro who is a designer, she looks more cheerful and radiant, the Kokoro who is a model is sad to see, and there were times when she looked intimidating and distant, but I'm glad that the presence of Kokoro left silent to the models with sharp tongue. It boiled my blood to see how the witch of Igarashi insists on forcing Kokoro to be a model just because she has the indicated height and body, and this bitch made poor Chiyuki feel horrible.
Seeing Igarashi's past only made me hate her more, because she forces her frustrated dreams on poor Kokoro.
It was an incredible surprise that Igarashi and Shizuku met when they were both models, but what I liked the most was Shizuku defending and supporting Chiyuki from Igarashi's cold words.

Ikuto, on the other hand, apart from defending Kokoro from Yanagida, he also knows the workshop of his new job and also hears the objective that Toh has for his new clothing line.

I'm so glad to see Kokoro pass the second round of the festival, after seeing all the problems she went through in this episode, seeing her beautiful smile is a gift.
The damn post-credit scene left me with a knot in my heart, just when they explained the theme for the last round, the health of Ikuto's mother worsens, why does misfortune follow Ikuto?
Feb 21, 2020 3:10 PM

Mar 2015
I loved how Ikuto stood up for Kokoro this episode, he plays a huge part in Kokoro's journey to become a designer. And since Kokoro has quite the potential herself, she could even be a tough rival for Ikuto later on in the finals, and by the looks of it she would compete against both Ikuto and Chiyuki again lmao she's the rival for both our leads.

That after credits scene though man.... Things are going be really tough for Ikuto in the finals. He'd most likely be faced with the same problem he had in the first round during the finals, which is how he was trying his best to save some money from the design.
Feb 21, 2020 3:24 PM

Sep 2011
Chiyuki really has to deal with a lot and she is strong, but she is only human and it's no wonder she couldn't keep those tears from falling after assuming that Kokoro was pitying her, and she was in a way, because it hurts. I do like the mindset she received from Shizuku though. That you can't foster confidence by putting other people down. And, by the way, I don't doubt that stuff like that happens, but the attitude of those other three models was nasty to say the least. No wonder Kokoro is fed up with this environment. And poor Kokoro by the way. I don't see why she needs permission to quit her modeling job, she had to deal with Chiyuki's outburst, and she also had to deal with Yanagida's overreaction. At least her hard work paid off and she advanced to the finals. I can't help but wonder if she really needed to go through that though, and it's not like the issue with her manager is solved. Welp, Ayano tried, even if he knew from the start that Ikuto would refuse, to "kill" him as a designer. But it didn't work. Ikuto will also probably ask Chiyuki to be his model on the finals, which will hopefully open a door to both of them, and the condition of his mother took a turn for the worse as well.
Feb 21, 2020 4:09 PM

Mar 2008
So many things this episode made me want to jump through the screen and choke some assholes.

That cliffhanger though. I hope Ikuto's mom pulls through.
Feb 21, 2020 4:16 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I just love the way the anime is getting better and better in character development, they are all great <3
Feb 21, 2020 4:32 PM

Nov 2011
I felt like Chiyuki flipping at Kokoro was uncalled for. Like she does not know the position Kokoro is in and her conversation with her manager was between them.

Incidentally I thought that developed Chiyuki as a character more which is always a good thing.

I still think Kokkoro and Ikuto ship should sale especially with the scene before the end credits.

Fuck those post credits scenes though...DAMMIT!!!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 21, 2020 5:06 PM

Feb 2016
ShikishimaKrile said:
I would like to know who the ost composer is because the ost sometimes gives me kaze ga tsuyoku vibes idk why lol

It's Shuji Katayama the one who wrote scores for Overlord and Youjo Senki
Feb 21, 2020 6:03 PM

Nov 2010
This show has very obsolete taste: poverty and effort. It's like drama "Oshin" or anime "Kyojin no Hoshi" in Showa era. The times and fashion rotate?
Feb 21, 2020 8:27 PM

Dec 2014
Chiyuki is best girl. <3
Love her determination, even when people are so openly dismissive of her being in the industry she still perseveres and gives everything she's got.

The scene where she tries to hold back her tears as she gives Kokoro the glove was really emotional and shows real strength in her. I can understand why she flipped out on Kokoro when she did, cause to her it seems like Kokoro is taking things too lightly when people like her try so hard. It's understandable even if she didn't exactly know Kokoro's scenario.

I still feel like there should be more focus on Chiyuki than Ikuto.
Feb 22, 2020 12:48 AM

Oct 2017
I'm glad Kokoro passed the second round. Thou Chiyuki's part was really depressing. Also the post credit scene was really concerning, I hope nothing bad happens.
MegamiRemFeb 22, 2020 12:53 AM
Feb 22, 2020 3:40 AM

Mar 2018
So I guess Ikuto will design a whole collection for Chiyuki starting next week. I'm really looking forward to this.
Feb 22, 2020 5:22 AM

Mar 2019
Ah yes the
move.
Feb 22, 2020 12:04 PM
Mar 2015
For some everyday is a battle
Feb 22, 2020 4:20 PM

Feb 2018
Sad Kokor-san xD...
Feb 22, 2020 4:32 PM
Jan 2017
Smile Down the Runway delivers yet another fine episode! The conflict between Chiyuki and Kokoro was really fascinating. Chiyuki wants to become a model but the odds are stacked against her, while Kokoro has talent and opportunities to spare but she doesn't want to become a model. The "talent vs hard work" conflict is really played out at this point, but I can understand why it's used so often in anime. We also get some insight on why Igarashi, Kokoro's manager, behaves the way she does, so at least she's not a one-dimensional antagonist. Meanwhile, Ikuto attempts to make progress on his competition but as that post-credits scene indicates, things will be even harder for him from now on. Despite some melodramatic stuff here and there, this is one of the most realistic anime I've ever watched. I'm really enjoying this show and I can't wait to see what happens next.
Feb 22, 2020 5:41 PM

Jul 2017
For Kokoro as the last-minute model to pull through, management aren't so as kind to others being extras against someone who is an ACTUAL extra a.k.a Kokoro and her manager. But as is, only aura will help them shine in the darkness that is the everyday battles of modelling business.

For someone esteemed like Chiyuki, not being able to make the cut through her history of being untouched and maligned due to her short height, she understands Kokoro's intentions but the latter isn't probably aren't prepared for the business at hand even if outbursts do happen from time to time.

For Kokoro's manager to face the same proposition in her past, facing against Chiyuki's manager, it's a one-sided case of choices that make or break in preparation.

In Ikuto's case though, dreams are both but passion can only be one. As Kokoro pursues both, she seems out of focus and aimless, as to be expected of an industry that doesn't take kindness as second chances. Only through Ikuto's persistence does she stay where she stood.

For Toh, coming out of his grandmother's business to establish his own, it's a large task for Ikuto to overcome if Toh wants to surpass her. To no one's surprise, not even he can deny that both him and Kokoro will be rivals going forward, let alone being same-industry friends in the now.

The post-credits...welp, Ikuto needs to pick up that call quick and easy within what happened in Episode 4/5 (DK which one). What a dramatic cliffhanger as Ikuto's family is continuously dragged down by misfortunes.

IMO, Kokoro should stay to be a designer, following her passion that fits her to a T despite all the criticisms faced so far.

What a dramatic episode, but instead that felt fast and good. Following your dreams and screw the world's mentality of what it wants you to be.
KANLen09Feb 22, 2020 5:45 PM
Feb 23, 2020 6:47 AM

Nov 2015
fuck all those who bully my Chiyuki, can't wait to see their shocked ugly faces when she becomes a hypermodel

omfg, Ikuto's mom is about to die, more drama incoming, hope she makes it through the operation
AZY-samaFeb 23, 2020 7:10 AM
Feb 23, 2020 1:11 PM

Feb 2008
Hopefully the sway of modelling industry will lessen on Kokoro. Her manager has her reasons, but Kokoro may ultimately fare better than her manager did.

What that manager pulled on Chiyuki was a cruel move, though.

And no solace in sight for Ikuto.
Feb 23, 2020 1:45 PM
Jul 2019
I kinda feel bad for Chiyuki being given a cold shoulder both by Yu and that company who hired Kokoro and other models.......

Kokoro ought to have the guts to say a strong "No" to her Yu.

So that Yu Igarashi also went to allot hardships in being a former model herself... and she also knows Shizuku?????
Feb 23, 2020 2:22 PM

Jul 2016
I agree with people claiming Chiyuki is more enjoyable to watch than Ikuto. For some reason it does feel like Ikuto has it a bit too easy - at least compared to Chiyuki.

I also agree with the issues regarding Kokoro. Her whole relationship with her manager seemingly makes no sense. Why can't she just quit? I wish the show could give a believable explanation, because the whole drama of Kokoro seems to hinge on this unbelievable point.
Feb 24, 2020 8:37 PM

Jul 2016
Can't these characters have a break, a beach episode or something? Because jumping from one character's drama to another was seriously exhausting xD

Average-to-decent episode overall. I appreciate they tried to humanize Kokoro's manager because so far, her character has been extremely unrealistic but this said, I still dislike the kind of attitude she has with her. Based on the brief glimpses of her past, I guess she is "afraid" Kokoro ends up like her if she chooses to be a fashion designer but forcing her to stay as a model against her will is just nonsense. You know you can always have a talk and solve things with words, right? If you don't want her to end as hollow as you or doing something she might regret later, just tell her.
Feb 28, 2020 11:54 AM

Nov 2016
"Hey, the tiny girl in the back" jfl

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 28, 2020 2:44 PM

May 2015
Dam everyones ruthless. One mistake and you're immedietly fired. Dont think you can nurture people that way. That manager is a right bitch. I honestly dont care what her experiences was she is just being a bitch. But I guess that could apply to 80% of the human population in this show. I hope they can come up with some drama that isnt one of the two ways they've been doing it so far: Either, Ikuto running out of an idea or skill or having some random person shit all over them to make them feel bad. Particuarly that second one Im sick of seeing. Well they are spicing it up with the next drama.

Yep, predicted this would happen. The mother going through a critial point and it'll probably force Ikuto to leave the competition. That or enter at the last second for some tension.

I like the idea of Chiyuki being his model though. Love seeing those two interact. Its interesting how they're both acquaintances with that tall girl. It'll be amusing to see her reaction when she finds out that Chiyuki and Ikuto know eachother.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 10, 2020 7:36 PM

Jun 2014
Kokoro has finally grown some balls, and is trying as hard as she can. Now that she's qualified for the finals, she'll face Ikuto.

Chiyuki isn't having things any easier for her. I admire her willpower. She keeps on getting up after being struck down, and most people in her position wouldn't be able to do that.

Apr 8, 2020 7:11 PM

Aug 2017
I think I like Kokoro the best. But she should just be a model. And Chiyuki can be a youtube star. Short girls are not visible on the runway. People are awed by height.

Mom getting sick.
Apr 14, 2020 7:49 PM

Apr 2016
Not sure why Kokoro has to ask permission to quit modeling. She could easily just walk out herself. I have massive respect for these characters though, continuing to pursue near-impossible goals despite the difficulties they're faced with. Seeing the shit they have to put up with makes me admire them all the more.
Jun 13, 2020 7:33 AM

May 2013
Aaaahhhhhhh~~ Such a waste of height, haha x'D oh well. If you're not passionate about it, there's no helping that ;P in reality, I'm sure the agency would just let her go tbh. There are plenty of talented tall models out there waiting to be scouted. Anime needs the drama tho xD

Yanagida and his nicknames omg xD Bob and Big One lmfaaaooooo /deds. I bet when they earn his respect as designers is when he'll refer to them by name :} he seems like that type of guy lol.

Anyways, back to Chiyuki. With the 3 years I've been modeling, I've never once been dismissed for my height after I've been accepted for a job. Never. Nor have I ever been asked to leave a set because of height issues either. You can meet bitchy models in the industry, yes, but the clients and staff are respectful. If you're a petite model, you just need to prove your worth. And what the hell are they going to do, replace a professional model with some random staff member who can't even make the right expressions or self pose? Pffft.

Side note, Iku better say he's fighting to the max bc him and Kokoro both deserve it. If he has to tend to his mom and drops out, that is v unfortunate and a huge loss in opportunities, but good luck :( He's got the talent, so he should bounce back in due time
Kokoro_KotashimaJun 13, 2020 8:25 AM
Jun 28, 2020 3:34 AM

Jul 2015
I find it pretty weird how Shizuku told Chiyuki to give up because of her height on multiple occasions but also told her in the flashback not to worry about her height...
Even though I feel bad for Chiyuki for treated so harsh, I think she needs to work on her assumptions because she reacted pretty badly towards Kokoro there.
Oh crap that post-credit scene...

Aug 20, 2020 3:04 PM
Oct 2019
What's with everybody being an asshole?

It's ok for Ikuto to be working for two different designers? Doesn't seem like that would be kosher.

I hope Kokoro finds her confidence.
HagePotPotatoAug 20, 2020 3:33 PM
Nov 22, 2020 5:30 PM

Jan 2012
Reapermask said:

Even though I feel bad for Chiyuki for treated so harsh, I think she needs to work on her assumptions because she reacted pretty badly towards Kokoro there.

I mean she wasn't exactly wrong. Kokoro clearly doesn't take modeling seriously, she just has a natural talent/aura/physical appearance that makes her a Goddess at it with zero effort. The real problem is Kokoro (also clearly) doesn't want to be a model and is too meek for some reason to tell her agent to fuck off and just quit to focus on being a designer full time.

Anyway, is there a reason why Chiyuki feels like a third wheel punching bag for failure character in what is ostensibly supposed to be at least half her series? I can at least understand Ikuto getting far more screen time and development than she has so far, even if I'm not exactly thrilled about it. But now Kokoro is getting more too! Why is Chiyuki even a main character at this point? I guess we have 5 more episodes, but given next episode's title it sure doesn't sound like a Chiyuki-centric episode. Guess I'll try to keep an opened mind but that has easily been my biggest disappointment for this series so far. My fear is most of Chiyuki's development will come in manga chapters not adapted here, and there's no way in hell I'm reading the manga for this series. Guess we'll see.
animefan8800Nov 22, 2020 5:34 PM
Mar 17, 2021 12:47 AM

May 2020
This time so many struggle people in one episode. Well they can make. This episode is motivated. Kokoro will fight against Ikuto and more troubling Ikuto's mother in critical condition. Seems hard episode.
May 30, 2023 3:09 PM
May 2020
I like this anime, but it feels rushed and I don't completely understand why.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2020

65 by phantom346 »»
Feb 13, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2020

56 by phantom346 »»
Jan 17, 7:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2020

93 by degenerate-2002 »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2020

46 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Poll: » Runway de Waratte Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2020

45 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 6, 2023 6:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.