Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 24, 2019 6:46 PM

Jul 2017
For me it really depends. If the anime are handled well, if they are interesting/fun/engaging in some way. If they have characters with lively personalities and you can identify yourself with them, if they can make me feel relaxed (a bonus point that i like to take into consideration)... The majority of slice of life anime i've watched, i really enjoyed them, some of them were okay, and another portion of them were really boring. So i can say that i like the genre, but to a certain extent, in a scale of 10, i'd give the genre a 7 or 7.5, so yeah, i think i find myself in that level when it comes to SoL, good stuff overall.
Jun 24, 2019 6:47 PM

Dec 2010
AncapAnimeGod said:
I guess it depends on the show.
Anime like Nana , And Great teacher onizuka, Mob Psycho are good slice of life anime.

But something like K-ON, Lucky Star, Yuru Camp, A Place Further than the Universe are not cause they don't have a substance they are just slice of nothing so they bore me to death.

I think you dont like CGDCT anime,the shows you stated as the ones you don't like is just filled with girls doing stupid things from what I see you tend to like the normal SOL shows not the ones mix with moe,these days most people tend to think that CGDCT is what SOL is all about who could blame them when most SOL is all about the cute girls.
Jun 24, 2019 6:51 PM

Mar 2013
I do like slice of anime. It deserve an award for being one of the closest part of the reality.

I really recommend to watch Natsume Yuujinchou!!
Jun 24, 2019 6:59 PM

Nov 2016
84DaysWithout said:
FMmatron said:

Ok, let me rephrase it then. I never said that Koe no Katachi or NHK aren't slice of life, just that labelling them as such is misleading, partly slice of life seems more appropriate. There are tons of shows which have slice of life as a subgenre or they incoperate some elements, but it's not the selling point. And I'm more for distinguishing between the anime that are grounded on real life logic, especially in such a thread and within this context where you said Vazka enjoyed slice of life anime, even tho they don't even represent what the "genre" is all about. Slice of life is ambitiounless storytelling where you usually keep the status quo, while NHK and Koe no Katachi reach a climax through their runtime.

For instance, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru also fits the criteria, it's bound by realism and portrays the daily life of a track team. My disbelief wasn't suspended yet it's classified as sports and drama.

Or Bakuman. It's about 2 upstarting mangaka. Also authentic to elements of daily life, but the battle shounen-esque tropes and elements overshadow the slice of life portion, it's present yet not part of main appeal.

So no, I wouldn't say he likes some slice of life, but he likes some anime with slice of life.

Both NHK and KnK are keeping the status quo....all themes used are relational to current social issues. I think you meant to use another term. If you meant being even-keeled then Barakamon isn't even that. It'll make you cry in the end and does have ambition. It does reach a climax and so does K-on.

I think where we disagree is in the importance of the SoL in relational to the other genres. Every genre that NHK and KnK have outside of SoL are reliant on the narrative being relational to current events. If realism is the foundation of a genre and other sub genres are used to color the narrative rather than dominate and distort the authenticity, then it is SoL. I would not say partly SoL when being SoL is the foundation of those anime. Everything falls apart if not for it whereas you could get rid of the romantic drama of Koe Katachi (which, spoiler, isn't even consumated. They just could be best friends) and the audience would still be massive.

By your restrictive definition I suppose you think Honey & Clover and Sangatsu Lion aren't SoL and that is bizarre to me. I mean these are anime that speak to the souls of viewers struggling through the exact same circumstances of the characters depicted. Being SoL is the selling point.

I have not finished the track anime and I don't remember enough about Bakuman specifically to disagree. I have seen Hajime no Ippo and I would agree that it is partly SoL not fully because the sports genre and the way it adopts exaggerated shounen-battle tropes is absolutely paramount. Same with Haikyuu. But none of these are relational to NHK and Katachi.

There's a lot of progression in both.

In Koe no Katachi both characters underwent a lot of change and by the end they were different people. That's the result of a clearly defined narrative.

Welcome to the NHK, has a plot, mini arcs, romantic development, all these artificially created plot devices are shaping the main character.

Barakamons narrative on the other hand is more organic, it's just the ordinary life and you don't get the impression that the story is having a specific aim. Same for K-On!. I cried during several occasions and you could say the graduation was a climax in a sense. But that has not much to do with ambition, I just grew fond of the characters while accompanying them through their time in school. There was nothing extraordinary, nor a forced conflict that pushed the development, tho, it was just Life and things will continue as they have been before, but as time passes some things have to change involuntarily. That's natural progression and still within the boundaries of slice of life.

And yep, that's where we disagree. The thing is, I deem it as crucial to make a distinction. We do it basically all the time and for many genres. Good example would be comedy. It's a present part of so many shows and yet not everything with comedy in it gets labelled as comedy. One Piece, Hajime no Ippo or battle shounen and sports in general have plenty of gags. If people ask for romance anime you might recommend them Kimi ni Todoke, it has slice of life elements, yet they are not present enough to classify it as such. Something like Senryuu Shoujo seems to come closer to slice of life. It has romance elements, but the focus is on the daily life. Then we have Usagi Drop which is a pure slice of life. Distinction makes sense and is helpful for the individual to pick the right anime suiting their preferences.

And no I don't think that the slice of life foundation is holding up Koe no Katachi, it could contain some supernatural elements and it would work just as fine. I still agree that from bully to best friend most likely would've worked too, important is a strong bond between the two main characters.

Also, kinda funny. I think of Hachimitsu to Clover as a drama in the first place but I would categorized it and 3-gatsu one tier below the pure stuff. The slice of life aspect is an essential aspect since it navigates the narrative most of the time.

@jal90

I was probably swept away by the momentum while trying to reply to 84days and to stay true to one of the definitions I read, I didn't want to give off the impression that the I think slice of life has to be grounded in reality.

These are cut outs of my earlier replies

>By your logic I could call any anime a slice of life as long as it depicts something in an authentic manner. But it wouldn't make any sense with regard to the definition of the term slice of life.

>And I'm more for distinguishing between the anime that are grounded on real life logic, especially in such a thread and within this context where you said Vazka enjoyed slice of life anime, even tho they don't even represent what the "genre" is all about. Slice of life is ambitiounless storytelling where you usually keep the status quo, while NHK and Koe no Katachi reach a climax through their runtime.

Imo they say that I'm not necessarily agreeing with the premise that slice of life has to be faithful to our world.

Regarding fantasy and slice of life. I was actually thinking of incorporating Aria, Konohana Kitan or Girls Last Tour in my argument. But then I decided against it because I thought it wouldn't really assist my main argument and I didn't want to include too much.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2019 7:00 PM

Apr 2015
I think so much of it is dependent on the viewer wanting to follow the characters, so it can be boring if you don't take a liking to them.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jun 24, 2019 7:09 PM

Sep 2018
I'm cool with SoL. There a lotta SoL shows I like but there're also a few that I dislike, but by no means do I find this genre boring.
SoL paired with ecchi/comedy is really nice. Also the iyashikei shows are nice.
Jun 24, 2019 7:27 PM

Jun 2017
Is life boring?

Answer that question and you may find yourself closer to the truth B^)
Jun 24, 2019 8:23 PM

Mar 2019
I really like slice of life shows because its interesting for me, to think about it from the perspective of learning how other people's lives are like. I also feel like you can learn much more about what life in Japan is like through watching slice of life shows than you could just googling "life in Japan" for example. I actually specifically looked for a Chinese slice of life anime because I was curious to learn more about what life in China is like, especially Chinese high schools. While yes, these shows may exaggerate certain elements, there's a lot you can learn through them. Especially something like Shirobaka where you can learn more about what creating anime is like.

Its such an immature way to think to be like "it has to have fighting and action or I'm not interested."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 24, 2019 8:35 PM

Apr 2019
Slice of Life anime is what got me back into watching anime after a 10 year hiatus. I grew up mainly watching battle shounen and a few horror anime here and there.

Stumbled on a K-On! poster one day and decided to watch it because I play instruments. Long story short, since April I've mainly watched nothing but SOL anime. It's relaxing, often endearing, and usually concludes in a satisfying way without dragging out forever. Characters for the best SOL series are written well because they need to be to drive the show.

大好き "I just want to be an ancient demigod loli"
Jun 24, 2019 8:43 PM

Nov 2009
FMmatron said:
84DaysWithout said:

Both NHK and KnK are keeping the status quo....all themes used are relational to current social issues. I think you meant to use another term. If you meant being even-keeled then Barakamon isn't even that. It'll make you cry in the end and does have ambition. It does reach a climax and so does K-on.

I think where we disagree is in the importance of the SoL in relational to the other genres. Every genre that NHK and KnK have outside of SoL are reliant on the narrative being relational to current events. If realism is the foundation of a genre and other sub genres are used to color the narrative rather than dominate and distort the authenticity, then it is SoL. I would not say partly SoL when being SoL is the foundation of those anime. Everything falls apart if not for it whereas you could get rid of the romantic drama of Koe Katachi (which, spoiler, isn't even consumated. They just could be best friends) and the audience would still be massive.

By your restrictive definition I suppose you think Honey & Clover and Sangatsu Lion aren't SoL and that is bizarre to me. I mean these are anime that speak to the souls of viewers struggling through the exact same circumstances of the characters depicted. Being SoL is the selling point.

I have not finished the track anime and I don't remember enough about Bakuman specifically to disagree. I have seen Hajime no Ippo and I would agree that it is partly SoL not fully because the sports genre and the way it adopts exaggerated shounen-battle tropes is absolutely paramount. Same with Haikyuu. But none of these are relational to NHK and Katachi.

In Koe no Katachi both characters underwent a lot of change and by the end they were different people. That's the result of a clearly defined narrative.

Welcome to the NHK, has a plot, mini arcs, romantic development, all these artificially created plot devices are shaping the main character.

Barakamons narrative on the other hand is more organic, it's just the ordinary life and you don't get the impression that the story is having a specific aim. Same for K-On!. I cried during several occasions and you could say the graduation was a climax in a sense. But that has not much to do with ambition, I just grew fond of the characters while accompanying them through their time in school. There was nothing extraordinary, nor a forced conflict that pushed the development, tho, it was just Life and things will continue as they have been before, but as time passes some things have to change involuntarily. That's natural progression and still within the boundaries of slice of life.

And yep, that's where we disagree. The thing is, I deem it as crucial to make a distinction. We do it basically all the time and for many genres. Good example would be comedy. It's a present part of so many shows and yet not everything with comedy in it gets labelled as comedy. One Piece, Hajime no Ippo or battle shounen and sports in general have plenty of gags. If people ask for romance anime you might recommend them Kimi ni Todoke, it has slice of life elements, yet they are not present enough to classify it as such. Something like Senryuu Shoujo seems to come closer to slice of life. It has romance elements, but the focus is on the daily life. Then we have Usagi Drop which is a pure slice of life. Distinction makes sense and is helpful for the individual to pick the right anime suiting their preferences.

And no I don't think that the slice of life foundation is holding up Koe no Katachi, it could contain some supernatural elements and it would work just as fine. I still agree that from bully to best friend most likely would've worked too, important is a strong bond between the two main characters.

Also, kinda funny. I think of Hachimitsu to Clover as a drama in the first place but I would categorized it and 3-gatsu one tier below the pure stuff. The slice of life aspect is an essential aspect since it navigates the narrative most of the time.

Handa punching an art critic in the very beginning is a forced conflict just to set him up in a rural town that serves as a stimulus for his calligraphy. So is the big competition in the end that reflects just how much Handa's perspective has shifted since the first episode. He changes quite a bit within one cour and there were a lot impressions from 2014 that reflected on the importance of finding a place to cultivate inspiration and learning to turn a career into a passion rather than a thankless pursuit of achievement that never ends. I see reasons to not consider Barakamon a pure SoL if strictly defined, which seems problematic considering only has two defined genres and comedy is often ubiquitous.

I consider the progression in NHK and Katachi to be organic within the confines of the narrative focus, though Katachi does embellish towards the end with the suicide attempt so I understand your rationale there. If supernatural the narrative would still be popular, but I think would be less authentic to people who see a closer representation of themselves in the characters and their familiar environments. Of all genres SoL is the most crucial to the reception of the manga and movie that has extended beyond just anime fandom and into the worlds of people who rarely entertain the medium unless it speaks to a social issue. Satou expresses a degree of pessimism that his life will continue to be productive, and as a viewer you aren't really given confirmation that he has truly changed himself for good, so though there are many conflicts that shape him I don't get the sense that he is dramatically altered because of them.

We can say that Usagi Drop is a pure slice of life, but the progression of both Daichi and Rin over a short span of time is evident and there are conflicts, one of them extremely controversial if extended to the manga, that they have to overcome. Does this disqualify Usagi drop as a "pure" slice of life? It seems like such a narrow definition that there are only a handful of these anime that can exist without an argument for why it doesn't qualify as such. I agree that distinction is important in particular when navigating a viewer to other anime they may enjoy. but I also find it problematic using genres to recommend anime to begin with because of the inherent variety that exists within them all. A more useful manner of recommendation is to just talk about the explored themes and how they may relate to anime that the user in question has already enjoyed. You can like pure SoL's and not care for K-on because the music isn't your preference.

Another complicating factor of Sangatsu is shogi, which tends to be the least favorite aspect from viewers of the anime as a lot of viewers struggle to relate the game to Rei's characterization. I figure this would disqualify it from being a "pure" SoL, but it wouldn't prevent me from recommending it to someone if looking for a slice of life anime. I will tell someone looking for SoL to watch NHK and Katachi if not on their lists. But I also would go into detail about the explored themes rather than just saying the genre and then allow them to judge whether or not the description fits their preferences.

Perhaps clarifying that I accompany recommendations or any general mentions of NHK, Kotachi, Hanasaku Iroha, whatever with descriptions that clarify the difference between that anime and others within the genre. SoL is the genre I consider to be most instrumental to the appeal of those anime, which is not to say it's the only genre, but that the others function under the umbrella of SoL to differentiate itself from others.

Jun 24, 2019 9:03 PM

Aug 2016
They aren't all boring I don't think, although I don't usually rate them super high or anything like that, but I do think they can be nice to relax with once in awhile. I have to be in the right mood for them really.
Jun 24, 2019 9:40 PM

Nov 2009
jal90 said:
@84DaysWithout @FMmatron Maybe I'm a bit late on the discussion but why do you consider correspondence to real life as a sign that something is a slice of life? There's plenty of fantasy slice of life stories out there, and plenty of realistic narrative scenarios that have nothing in SoL (Monster for instance, or Tokyo Magnitude 8.0).

I think SoL has to focus on routines and that is a narrative focus, not a specific theme or environment. Routines can be mad, absurd or fantastic and they can be totally true to life. I consider Cowboy Bebop way more of a SoL than Welcome to the NHK, which from the beginning embraces change and pursuing something as the main drive of the story.

The argument is whether NHK and Katachi are foundationally SoL and properly represented by that tag as opposed to being a romantic or psychological drama.

I think SoL can focus on the environment or theme as it relates to the development of a character who is intended to be personally identifiable (or sympathetic to) the viewer and/or a familiar social context. NHK is perhaps the most authentic depiction of the struggles of hikikomori life that is such a concern of modern Japan we have in this medium, and beyond that his struggles with anxiety, addiction and neuroticism feel authentic to the experiences of those who have the same issues.

Satou does pursue change but doesn't really find success until towards the end of the anime, and at that point he acknowledges that he may devolve back into his old habits someday. He does have a routine in the anime, though it's not a good one, and I don't think viewers are given the impression that he's broken it for good by the end.

I agree that SoL is not limited to realism. but I would not use Bebop as an example of an anime that functions under the umbrella of SoL because you can love that anime while completely not understanding the characterization of the crew nor their routines. There is a layer to Bebop that can be difficult for a first time viewer to crack and yet you really don't need to understand it order to love the noir sci-fi aesthetic, fluid animation of the fight scenes and use of jazz to personify struggle (which, the viewer may not even pick up on the significance of the music initially. So lets just say snazzy music). This in contrast to NHK and Kotachi where it is very easy to identify with the characters who are easier to recognize from examples in our lives, if not ourselves, and you are given ample information about at the start so there isn't a degree of figuring them out.
Jun 24, 2019 10:38 PM

Mar 2014
depends. SoL usually tell about friendship between characters where their relationship doesn't have any effect to the people or society where they're living. most SoL anime is about a story of closed circle of friends and that's just it. characters spending (or wasting) their life doing the same thing every day (or episode) with little (or none) progress to their life (or the story). SoL with a story progress is very rare. that's why, many events happened in SoL are predictable.

SoL anime are mostly quantity-based, the more episodes and characters involved, the merrier. there's no ending in SoL, only repetition of the characters daily life. this "no ending" trademark is what make SoL kinda boring. thus, making SoL have low both in rewatch value and life lessons.
Jun 25, 2019 12:00 AM

Apr 2016
I'm surprised anybody cares about it, AT ALL. I didn't get barrage by any hate message so it's just you probably OP
Jun 25, 2019 12:04 AM

Jan 2018
tarapin said:
Slice of Life anything is boring to me. The real world is boring, I need some adventure.

Kind of agree to this one but there are few exceptions. I enjoyed maybe only about 5% Slice of Life shows.
Jun 25, 2019 12:06 AM

Oct 2012
Slice of life genre are character pieces. It's not boring if you feel involved, if you can relate. It is boring if it's just a bunch of stupid ass girls wandering around a farm with no redeeming qualities, like they were all born naturally stoned as fuck, and their personalities are just to act stereotypically autistic. On the other hand, if it's about musicians embracing a changing music scene imported by soldiers after World War II, then it could be pretty interesting.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 25, 2019 12:11 AM

Feb 2015
EvilUnicorn said:
Savasvania said:
This topic is boring. That's just one person's opinion and it doesn't mean anything just like mine means nothing. It's not my favorite genre but there are ones I do enjoy.

It isn't just one persons opinion. There are others who share his opinion in the anime community(just scroll through comment section) I just used him as example.

More Examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/azvmgo/sliceoflife_anime_is_boring_and_i_dont_understand/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7ldtcs/whats_the_appeal_in_slice_of_lifecomedy_anime/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5hpb31/why_do_people_hate_moe_slice_of_life_shows/
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1023174/is-slice-of-life-genre-boring

>Mob
>Not sol

ohh what a good bait is this
Jun 25, 2019 12:21 AM

Oct 2012
84DaysWithout said:
Perhaps clarifying that I accompany recommendations or any general mentions of NHK, Kotachi, Hanasaku Iroha, whatever with descriptions that clarify the difference between that anime and others within the genre. SoL is the genre I consider to be most instrumental to the appeal of those anime, which is not to say it's the only genre, but that the others function under the umbrella of SoL to differentiate itself from others.
I agree with the other poster. None of these are what I would consider slice of life. They each have clear character arcs, narrative progressions, a main conflict, and ending with the main character changed in some way from the beginning that was consistent with the overall plot. They contain subplots that deal with the characters' daily lives, but they are not the focal point -- they exist to set up the main conflict. It's actually quite formulaic. It's like the first 7-10 episodes of Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/Samurai Champloo/Steins;Gate/Kuroko no Basket/etc. that show that characters about their daily lives. Sure, some shows might be more cohesive (e.g. NHK) than others, but that part of it still served the same purpose.

_Ako_ said:
>Mob
>Not sol

ohh what a good bait is this
By that logic, DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Inuyasha, and Code Geass are also slice of life because they show the characters going about their normal high school lives between all the action scenes.
katsucatsJun 25, 2019 12:26 AM
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 25, 2019 12:38 AM

Jul 2012
I'm watching anime because I am bored of my own life. There's no way I'm going to watch a slice of life of another person. Much less a Chinese cartoon character.

It's a good way to put myself to sleep though.
Jun 25, 2019 12:45 AM

Apr 2016
I think it's more about one's personal taste. Every opinion is pretty much subjective, so there is no definitive answer for this question. For some SoL might be super boring and a waste of time, for others it might be the only good genre out there.
Jun 25, 2019 12:49 AM

Nov 2009
katsucats said:
84DaysWithout said:
I agree with the other poster. None of these are what I would consider slice of life. They each have clear character arcs, narrative progressions, a main conflict, and ending with the main character changed in some way from the beginning that was consistent with the overall plot. They contain subplots that deal with the characters' daily lives, but they are not the focal point -- they exist to set up the main conflict. It's actually quite formulaic. It's like the first 7-10 episodes of Cowboy Bebop/Trigun/Samurai Champloo/Steins;Gate/Kuroko no Basket/etc. that show that characters about their daily lives. Sure, some shows might be more cohesive (e.g. NHK) than others, but that part of it still served the same purpose.

So you would not consider Barakamon to be a slice of life, correct. The other poster considers it to be such when it violates your definition of what constitutes of a SoL. You certainly wouldn't consider Sangatsu Lion nor Honey & Clover nor Natsume Yuujinchou to be slice of life, I imagine. Not Kids on the Slope either. What you have is an extremely narrow definition of what constitutes SoL...to the extent that it is difficult to make an expansive list of anime that fit the criteria without an argument to the contrary.

I do not consider any of your examples to be relational to Iroha, KnK, NHK. Those anime are not grounded in a universe that the viewer can easily identity with nor do they have characters who are as sympathetic to the viewer (in the span of episodes that you listed) compared to those of KnK and NHK. There are ideas in those anime unrelated to SoL, whereas in the three anime I listed the other genres are a subsection of SoL.
84DaysWithoutJun 25, 2019 12:57 AM
Jun 25, 2019 12:51 AM

Mar 2018
Shounen shit like Fairy Tail and Hero Academia, or action shit like One Punch Man are more boring than SoL tbh. At least for me.

Jun 25, 2019 1:43 AM

Aug 2018
I used to stay away from Slice of Life shows like the plague until I started to appreciate them when I first watched K-On!
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, this message is unavailable in your region.
Please come drink tea, eat cake and procrastinate at the Cute Girls Doing Cute Things Club. We have simulwatches! \o/
Jun 25, 2019 2:47 AM

Feb 2019
It depends on how you look at Slice of Life. If you love to watch anime that has a story then Slice of Life is not for you. However, that's what I thought at first as well. After watching shows like Himouto! Umaru Chan and Gabriel DropOut, I've gotten to like Slice of Life a lot. Short stories that are packed with comedy and enjoyment, that's what Slice of Lifes are. I really enjoy them now, so I wouldn't call them boring but it really depends on your own personal taste on things like story plots.
Jun 25, 2019 2:52 AM
Nov 2013
tarapin said:
Slice of Life anything is boring to me. The real world is boring, I need some adventure.

Except there's tons of SoL anime like Aria, Haibane Renmei, or Mushishi that take place in a fantasy setting.

and also have quite a bit of adventure aspects to them
Jun 25, 2019 2:55 AM

Mar 2017
what I do is I watch 1 episode everyday of a SoL series always a calming, heartwarming vibe and a feeling of content after a long day.
Jun 25, 2019 3:58 AM

Sep 2018
It can be boring but why i love SoL more than most other genres is that for me Characters should be the focus of a tale and most action,fantasy anime tend fuck up their Characters, Fairy Tail and all those generic fucked up shitty Shounen,Isekai or Fantasy shows have this problem.Most of those shows are far more boring because if they are paired with mediocre direction you end up with a complete pile of shit.If you dont care about the Characters because they are 1 Dimensional generic Characters you cant care about the Story or the world they life in.

If one says "i hate SoL because its always this overused Highschool setting" i can only agree with them, most of them are average shit shows (just like all anime), but IF its not a generic shit show then it is one of the best genres in anime and manga.

"The Characters are the Story"

Albert Einstein,Alexander the Great and Hayao Miyazaki

EDIT: I genuinely prefer darker SoL because thats the best representation of my real life and they tend to be less generic (looking at you Punpun)
EDIT 2: To all the people thinking NHK is not a SoL because it has a climax,developing story and Characters then basically every Highschool Romance show is not a SoL because it has a confession as its climax and the 2 main Characters fall in love wich is bascially their development.
-Mullerio-Jun 25, 2019 4:21 AM
Jun 25, 2019 4:13 AM

Jan 2019
It's like life. SoL genre is good also the anime, better than some others.
Jun 25, 2019 7:17 AM
Jul 2018
I'd say yes but I loved Saiki Kusuo no psi nan so there's always an exception.
Jun 25, 2019 7:53 AM

Oct 2010
Mullerio said:
EDIT 2: To all the people thinking NHK is not a SoL because it has a climax,developing story and Characters then basically every Highschool Romance show is not a SoL because it has a confession as its climax and the 2 main Characters fall in love wich is bascially their development.

Well, about that, actually... xD

I have some sort of conflicted views over what is slice of life, among other things because I believe it to be a narrative format rather than a genre. You can insert various kinds of narrative formats into the same story, one at a time. So in many of these cases whether I consider the overall show slice of life or not depends on how much I think the SoL elements weigh in.
Jun 25, 2019 7:54 AM

Jul 2016
No I don't think so at all. Many people do try to act like they are above them like they are some kind of intellectual who only watches old anime that is DEEP in meaning when nothing is really deep at all.

Jun 25, 2019 8:11 AM

Oct 2015
It depends on the anime really. I don't really dislike slice of life but maybe that's because I've found a few good ones like Nichijou that are pretty darn funny with amazing animation and other stuff.

But there are also a lot of them that aren't funny and are just like "Look cute girls doing things."

So it depends on the anime. For me I'll while watch one if I need to relax like really badly thanks to my PTSD or stress getting to me or if I need a good laugh.

I think throwing out a whole genre and thinking every show or movie in that genre is the same is stupid. Try new things. Be open minded and keep in mind certain things require you to be in a certain mood to watch them.

No genre is 100% good or bad.
"Even if there isn't a God or meaning behind life. That doesn't mean you can't create your own meaning and make the best out of life."
Jun 25, 2019 10:27 AM

Aug 2017
Its like a watching mexican tv series about soft boys and naive women's.
Jun 25, 2019 11:21 AM

Aug 2018
No, not at all. I may not watch them a whole lot, but they are not boring to me. I'd prefer to watch something with a little more depth. Now if someone tries to tell me some slice of life show is deeper than it really is they are getting laughed at, there is no way you're convincing anyone that slice of life is actually deep.
warning this idiot is a professional retard
Jun 25, 2019 2:11 PM

Nov 2015
Not to me its more or less of a fun experience to watch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Jun 25, 2019 3:52 PM
Jul 2018
Krayken said:
there is no way you're convincing anyone that slice of life is actually deep.

So what you're telling me is that Kino no Tabi is not a deep show. Gotcha.

Thank you for the enlightenment, I've been blind all these years.
Jun 25, 2019 4:06 PM

Mar 2019
I'm not looking to relax and don't find cute things appealing
Jun 25, 2019 5:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
EvilUnicorn said:
It isn't just one persons opinion. There are others who share his opinion in the anime community(just scroll through comment section) I just used him as example.

as there are people who will say that about harem and ecchi

as there are people who will say that about battle shounen

as there are people who will say that about Yaoi and Yuri

as there are people who will say that about Mecha

as there are people who will say that about Mahou Shoujo

as there are people who will say that about psychological series

as there are people who will say that about mystery series

it's almost like there are types of people who don't meld well with what a type of anime is basing itself on or something and that no genre is immune from having people not be able to get into it

weird isn't it

Jun 25, 2019 5:51 PM

Jul 2017
i do think most sol anime are enjoyable if im in the mood of watching them, say that im looking for something simple and peaceful when my brain wishes to take a break from overworking
slice of life covers a wide range of anime with different appeals
and i would say it's more bread then the meat of an anime
there are comedy ones (yuuyuushiki,blend s,non non boyori), romance ones(nana,relife,fruits basket), educational ones(yuru camp,silver spoon,tamako market) etc and most sol anime are character centric since they focus on characters and their interaction among/with others so the plot is usually kept simple without much progression
on top of those, they dispense with story too as they reply heavily on light episodic stories perhaps with some light overlying arc/theme to tie them together and prevent incoherence
at the end, what stand out the most would be the characters
not to exclude art,sound,direction too but overall they are minor concerns

Jun 25, 2019 6:01 PM

Dec 2012
They definitely can be. It depends on the execution and whether or not I like the characters.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Jun 25, 2019 6:11 PM

Oct 2010
Krayken said:
No, not at all. I may not watch them a whole lot, but they are not boring to me. I'd prefer to watch something with a little more depth. Now if someone tries to tell me some slice of life show is deeper than it really is they are getting laughed at, there is no way you're convincing anyone that slice of life is actually deep.

Why do you think your opinion holds any weight and deserves to be treated as some universal agreement after having watched exactly 0 slice of life is the real question here.
Jun 25, 2019 8:28 PM

Oct 2012
84DaysWithout said:
katsucats said:
So you would not consider Barakamon to be a slice of life, correct. The other poster considers it to be such when it violates your definition of what constitutes of a SoL. You certainly wouldn't consider Sangatsu Lion nor Honey & Clover nor Natsume Yuujinchou to be slice of life, I imagine. Not Kids on the Slope either. What you have is an extremely narrow definition of what constitutes SoL...to the extent that it is difficult to make an expansive list of anime that fit the criteria without an argument to the contrary.
Now you're just putting words in my mouth. All of the anime I've listed had a primary conflict. I haven't seen Barakamon, but neither San-gatsu no Lion, Honey & Clover, Natsume Yuujinchou, Mushishi, Kino no Tabi, Kids on the Slope, etc., have a primary conflict. The arcs in each of these are loosely related and do not culminate into any final point. The characters end up in relatively the same sense as they started. They don't enter any singular realization. Hanasaku Iroha, on the other hand, started off with the conflict of MC being thrown into an inn that she doesn't want to take part in, and then ends with her overcoming that conflict. Everything else builds up to that point, in which the anime then resolves. I don't know which orifice you pulled what you just said from.

84DaysWithout said:
I do not consider any of your examples to be relational to Iroha, KnK, NHK. Those anime are not grounded in a universe that the viewer can easily identity with nor do they have characters who are as sympathetic to the viewer (in the span of episodes that you listed) compared to those of KnK and NHK. There are ideas in those anime unrelated to SoL, whereas in the three anime I listed the other genres are a subsection of SoL.
Having characters sympathetic to the viewer is not a property of slice of life anime. All anime with a traditional archplot seeks to establish a relatable protagonist. The anime I listed are in common with Iroha, KnK, NHK in that the first "filler" arc, usually about the first third to half of the 26 episode show, consists of material that establishes the protagonists for the audience, usually by use of showing their daily lives, villains of the week, showing the characters' angst and motivations. That's why you seem to think Iroha, KnK, and NHK are slice of life, because they spend the first third to half showing these elements in order to set up for the main conflict. It's like you're arbitrarily ignoring the second half of the anime you like, while arbitrarily taking into account the whole of the anime I listed. Stick with one view.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 25, 2019 11:22 PM

Jun 2019
To be honest, it's hard to tell because it depends on the storyline. Some slice of life animes are also comedy type animes, so they are not really boring.
Jun 25, 2019 11:48 PM

Aug 2018
jal90 said:
Why do you think your opinion holds any weight and deserves to be treated as some universal agreement after having watched exactly 0 slice of life is the real question here.
Well why do you think anyone's opinion holds weight? Who says I need to watch slice of life anime to have an opinion? Not watching a certain genre is an opinion in itself if you were to really think about it. I 100% bet you have an opinion on watching a certain genre whether you like it or not. An example maybe you don't like hentai, or do I'm not judging. Well you don't watch hentai because you don't like characters taking it up the ass and you'd rather watch some isekai because there it is simply more enjoyable, WHICH is an opinion in it of itself.

What to take away is really that I'm just an expert on slice of life DESPITE not having watched any of it. Its fucking crazy I know but thats the reality
Jun 25, 2019 11:49 PM

Jan 2017
I often watch slice of life anime and 'boring' is the last word i would use for it. Its very relaxing and calming as u said and can be used as something to relax ur mind after u have watched something dark or serious drama.

And most of the times i prefer characters over story. So slice of life having no story is zero concern for me as long as characters are engaging.
Jun 26, 2019 12:36 AM
Jul 2018
I agree with the others who have said it's for older people, it doesn't have enough robots or explosions for kids with ADD.

All you need is good characters and it being funny and I will watch it.
Jun 26, 2019 1:52 AM

Oct 2010
Krayken said:
jal90 said:
Well why do you think anyone's opinion holds weight? Who says I need to watch slice of life anime to have an opinion? Not watching a certain genre is an opinion in itself if you were to really think about it. I 100% bet you have an opinion on watching a certain genre whether you like it or not. An example maybe you don't like hentai, or do I'm not judging. Well you don't watch hentai because you don't like characters taking it up the ass and you'd rather watch some isekai because there it is simply more enjoyable, WHICH is an opinion in it of itself.

What to take away is really that I'm just an expert on slice of life DESPITE not having watched any of it. Its fucking crazy I know but thats the reality

You are an interesting individual, I'll give you that. Other trolls would try to say their typical "but I haven't updated my list".

Anyway no, not watching slice of life is not an opinion, it's an act, not wanting to watch it is a desire or an intent, not an opinion. If you are going to troll, better have your concepts clear.
Jun 26, 2019 2:25 AM

Aug 2018
jal90 said:
You are an interesting individual, I'll give you that. Other trolls would try to say their typical "but I haven't updated my list".

Anyway no, not watching slice of life is not an opinion, it's an act, not wanting to watch it is a desire or an intent, not an opinion. If you are going to troll, better have your concepts clear.

Indeed I am the best form of a troll, how else am I going to amuse the gods who live above the bridge?

Watching/Not watching is indeed an act, like my life. However choosing not to watch something is still very much an opinion, as well as an act as you say. Like choosing to eat something over another thing.

If we choose to break an opinion down then we simply get black or white decisions, or if the colors blue piss or red piss it becomes, blue or red? If that doesn't make sense its simply: Tits or ass?

You may not like to look at tits but other people really do. Ultimately that's what mattesr and slice of life is gay because I think it has a flat ass.
Jun 26, 2019 5:22 AM

May 2018
Krayken said:
Who says I need to watch slice of life anime to have an opinion?

Then maybe you are misinformed or prejudice against sol?
Watch some and you will have real arguments against it and more fuel for your hatred.
Jun 26, 2019 6:35 AM

Nov 2016
84DaysWithout said:
FMmatron said:

Handa punching an art critic in the very beginning is a forced conflict just to set him up in a rural town that serves as a stimulus for his calligraphy. So is the big competition in the end that reflects just how much Handa's perspective has shifted since the first episode. He changes quite a bit within one cour and there were a lot impressions from 2014 that reflected on the importance of finding a place to cultivate inspiration and learning to turn a career into a passion rather than a thankless pursuit of achievement that never ends. I see reasons to not consider Barakamon a pure SoL if strictly defined, which seems problematic considering only has two defined genres and comedy is often ubiquitous.

I consider the progression in NHK and Katachi to be organic within the confines of the narrative focus, though Katachi does embellish towards the end with the suicide attempt so I understand your rationale there. If supernatural the narrative would still be popular, but I think would be less authentic to people who see a closer representation of themselves in the characters and their familiar environments. Of all genres SoL is the most crucial to the reception of the manga and movie that has extended beyond just anime fandom and into the worlds of people who rarely entertain the medium unless it speaks to a social issue. Satou expresses a degree of pessimism that his life will continue to be productive, and as a viewer you aren't really given confirmation that he has truly changed himself for good, so though there are many conflicts that shape him I don't get the sense that he is dramatically altered because of them.

We can say that Usagi Drop is a pure slice of life, but the progression of both Daichi and Rin over a short span of time is evident and there are conflicts, one of them extremely controversial if extended to the manga, that they have to overcome. Does this disqualify Usagi drop as a "pure" slice of life? It seems like such a narrow definition that there are only a handful of these anime that can exist without an argument for why it doesn't qualify as such. I agree that distinction is important in particular when navigating a viewer to other anime they may enjoy. but I also find it problematic using genres to recommend anime to begin with because of the inherent variety that exists within them all. A more useful manner of recommendation is to just talk about the explored themes and how they may relate to anime that the user in question has already enjoyed. You can like pure SoL's and not care for K-on because the music isn't your preference.

Another complicating factor of Sangatsu is shogi, which tends to be the least favorite aspect from viewers of the anime as a lot of viewers struggle to relate the game to Rei's characterization. I figure this would disqualify it from being a "pure" SoL, but it wouldn't prevent me from recommending it to someone if looking for a slice of life anime. I will tell someone looking for SoL to watch NHK and Katachi if not on their lists. But I also would go into detail about the explored themes rather than just saying the genre and then allow them to judge whether or not the description fits their preferences.

I may apologize for the delayed reply, yesterday it was hard to find the time and motivation for it.

Even within the frame of what I consider a slice of life anime, there will be of course deviations and I'm not capable of coming up with a defintion that would cover every single aspect, but thankfully we're able to evaluate the shows in question. Just take the general definition, compare titles by what they do with their narrative, how they emohasize certain aspects like tone, drama elements, comedy and how they work together as a whole. And from how I See things, the setup in Handas case doesn't really matter since it barely affects the nature of Barakamon. It's over 90% slice of life. While premise and set up in NHK and Koe no Katachi dictate the plot, it's really simple and if you've seen them all and with a bit experience, it shouldn't be too hard to see the nuances.

Regarding your next point, I don't completely agree with your premise. I don't really think that having super natural elements is a deal breaker when it comes immersing yourself into a story. I mean, sure, you have critical viewer who will get taken out of the experience if they are poorly implemented or don't really add anything of value. So in that sense it's harder to pull it off without breaking immersion. But then you have something like Natsume which is arguably the most loved slice of life despite also having an essential supernatural/fantasy element. Partly slice of life, but also fantasy was the movie Maquia, people were still invested since the movie portrayed characters and the themes about motherhood and lonliness so well. There are so many anime set in a fictional setting, yet that doesn't prevent the audience from relating. Characters are the key.

Now coming back to the narrative of Welcome to the NHK. While it's true that the anime left things ambigious it's clear what the narrative was setting up or rather what it tried to achieve. I "blame" the anime for not completely adapting the source here. But affairs such as getting involved with the business group who tried to scam people with the pyramid scheme or the suicide group had too much meat and deviated from the SoL characterstic, even tho they principally followed real life logic.

And again, I explained earlier that the definiton can't be invariably applied like this, you gotta put some thought to it too. And yeah, Usagi Drop is a slice of life by default, at least the anime. Narrative focussed on a guy living with his adoptive daughter, every episode portrayed the ordinary daily life and every bit of drama and comedy came naturally. I might sound like a broken record, but no anime is a 100% entity, it consists of many components, of course this also applies to slice of life. However, the degree and ratio obviously vary from case to case, that's where we have to make a judgement based on our perception.

When it comes to 3-gatsu no Lion it's a bit more tricky, I admit that. Slice of life is an essential part of it's narrative, but so is the drama. The shogi on the other hand is Rei's profession, similar to a slice of life in a working environment, that's where he made contact with other characters, hence an organic development. And lastly, as you rightly implied, it serves more than often as a tool for his characterization. If we take the drama portion into account then I would classify as 3-gatsu as slice of life-drama, kinda think of it as an equivalent to the buzzword rom-com.

And sure, of course you can also recommend the anime you menrioned to slice of life fans, but they wouldn't be the best pick for someone who is looking for a slice of life. Hanasaku Iroha seems by far the suitable out of the three. It has sub-plots and character development etc. But particularly in this case I feel like they were mainly there to embellish the slice of life nature. Imo it's part of the working environment SoL sub-genre.

I still heavily disagree with you regarding the appeal of Welcome to the NHK and Koe no Katachi. To claim they're appealing due to their slife of life nature and not because they present interesting themes or emotional themes is a stretch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Dub translation errors

JoeChip - 10 hours ago

24 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
36 seconds ago

» Anime carried by Animation ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - Yesterday

73 by Gashadokur0 »»
1 minute ago

» Would You Watch a Gender Swapped Version of K-On, Queen Blade, Love Live, and Pretty Cure.

RedTea33 - Yesterday

29 by Jackson1333 »»
2 minutes ago

» Are there any hobbies you do that are influenced by anime?

otaku2000anime - 6 hours ago

21 by ZakuF_ »»
5 minutes ago

» Anyone can tell me what are key differences between Shonen and Seinen shows?

ZeroMajor12 - 14 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.