Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 24, 2019 5:07 AM

Jun 2019

There seems to be a lot of people in anime community who find this genre boring.

What are your thoughts do you find it BORING(WHY?) or do you find it RELAXING and ENGAGING like I DO(it is my FAVORITE GENRE)?

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 24, 2019 5:09 AM

Apr 2013
Before I started watching a bunch of them I really thought they were boring. I mean how interesting can something be that seemingly has no story behind it?

But especially after watching Non Non Biyori I understood that it can just be really calming and funny at the same time. Now it's actually one of my favourite genres, especially paired with comedy and maybe even ecchi :3
Jun 24, 2019 5:12 AM
Dec 2017
I tend to avoid slice of life because I prefer series with action. I don't mind series that combine both...but if the show is basically just slice of life (or doesn't include elements that I find interesting) I don't watch them. I have seen a few of them though and comedy was what made it so fun to watch. Also, they can be used as a break when you watch something dark and/or depressing.

So no, they aren't all boring but they can be.
Jun 24, 2019 5:24 AM

May 2014
They can be, it just depends whether or not i care about the characters like with other anime. Lucky Star is my favourite slice of life anime and a lot for people find it boring, whilst i find it extremely entertaining.
Jun 24, 2019 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
This topic is boring. That's just one person's opinion and it doesn't mean anything just like mine means nothing. It's not my favorite genre but there are ones I do enjoy.
Jun 24, 2019 5:29 AM

Feb 2019
It's not Boring for Me, I Love SOL because it's Relaxing, Fun & Most of all I love the character interaction.
As for why people find it Boring, it's because Everyone has different tastes and interests in anime.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jun 24, 2019 5:31 AM

Jun 2019
Savasvania said:
This topic is boring. That's just one person's opinion and it doesn't mean anything just like mine means nothing. It's not my favorite genre but there are ones I do enjoy.

It isn't just one persons opinion. There are others who share his opinion in the anime community(just scroll through comment section) I just used him as example.

More Examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/azvmgo/sliceoflife_anime_is_boring_and_i_dont_understand/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7ldtcs/whats_the_appeal_in_slice_of_lifecomedy_anime/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5hpb31/why_do_people_hate_moe_slice_of_life_shows/
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1023174/is-slice-of-life-genre-boring

Jun 24, 2019 5:33 AM

Apr 2017
SoL is one of my favorite genres. Personally I find it both calming and engaging, it's also great combo with comedy or moe. Many of my favorites belong to that genre. But In the end there will always be some people who dislike it, just like any genre. While I can't quite understand why people would find it boring, I can see the reasoning behind it.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jun 24, 2019 5:36 AM

Feb 2016
I love SoL but I see why people think it's boring. That being said, I watch different SoL to keep it spicy. It also appeals to me because it's like hanging out with my anime friends because my friends irl don't like to watch anime.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 24, 2019 5:37 AM

Nov 2014
Slice of life doesn't have to be boring. Yeah, most of them are plotless, but they can compensate with others things, like characterization, animation and music. It's true to need to be in certain mood to enjoy tham, but that can be said about most of genres.
Jun 24, 2019 5:38 AM
May 2019
I've never been one for slice of life, hell, even less for romance slice of life, but 12 episodes in and fruits basket 2019 has changed my outlook on the genre not being for me entirely. Room mate is a cat is also a really fun heartwarming SOL for cat owners like myself.
Jun 24, 2019 5:41 AM
Jul 2018
EvilUnicorn said:
Savasvania said:

It isn't just one persons opinion. There are others who share his opinion in the anime community(just scroll through comment section) I just used him as example.

More Examples:
https://www.reddit.com/r/unpopularopinion/comments/azvmgo/sliceoflife_anime_is_boring_and_i_dont_understand/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/7ldtcs/whats_the_appeal_in_slice_of_lifecomedy_anime/
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5hpb31/why_do_people_hate_moe_slice_of_life_shows/
https://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-1023174/is-slice-of-life-genre-boring

*whoosh*
Point missed.
apparently if you have nothing else to say and it's less than 30 characters it's considered spam, weird.
removed-userJun 24, 2019 5:46 PM
Jun 24, 2019 5:43 AM

Jun 2019
I love slice of life animes so much. Though I must agree that sometimes they're a little boring yeah.

That being said, I still watch them and I probably always will because they're so relaxing to me. When an anime is too complex and there's too much going on, it only stresses me more which is the last thing I need haha. Don't get me wrong I like action, suspense and complexity once in a while, but most of the time after a hard day's work all I need is a chill story and characters that I can relate to.

My two favorites from the genre are Working!! and Lucky Star.
Jun 24, 2019 5:43 AM
Apr 2016
I don't find them in any way boring, I find them enjoyable and relaxing.
Jun 24, 2019 5:45 AM

Jan 2009
for me ye its boring since im an action fan

but a lot of those shows are considered iyashikei (healing anime) or those therapeutic shows https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinema_therapy
Jun 24, 2019 5:50 AM

May 2018
Slice of Life is not my favorite genre but I do like some good quality titles. I got Aria the Animation and Haibane Renmei in my favorites. Another good example is Yuru Camp.
On the other hand, there are tons of bad and boring SoL. For example, I can't stand any garbage produced by Kyoani (except one or two titles from their whole production)

Jun 24, 2019 5:56 AM
Feb 2019
Some of my favorites are SoL and there are several reasons for that. I either found the characters relatable, funny, started caring for them for some reason or the combination(s) of these. For some reason, anime made me appreciate these kinds of shows, they can sometimes be very entertaining for me.

And oh boy, you haven't seen comedy if you haven't watched Danshi Koukosei no Nichijou, Yuru Yuri, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, etc.
Jun 24, 2019 6:09 AM

May 2015
Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. Depends on the overarching theme and how relatable or likeable the characters are. It could be about boring stuff or boring people, but if they are interesting then there's nothing boring about it.
Jun 24, 2019 6:09 AM

Dec 2015
I've never seen a slice of life anime I even found remotely boring. There's no denial though that once a day may come where I come across one.
Jun 24, 2019 6:20 AM

May 2015
They can be, but then again you can get boring shows in any genres.

As long as a SoL is accompanied with good characters, settings, music and comedy it'll do fine in my eyes. I especially love the combination of calming SoL with some nice comedy moments that aren't too over the top, like Non Non Biyori and Yuru Camp.

I can understand people not liking the genre because they prefer fast paced shows with plots. Doesn't make the whole genre boring though.

♡ artist
サコ
Jun 24, 2019 6:21 AM

Jun 2014
I think it's more the fact that moe/CGDCT Anime are boring.

Jun 24, 2019 6:24 AM

Aug 2014
Nah, some people are just afflicted with poor opinions.
Jun 24, 2019 6:26 AM

Apr 2016
Slice of life is the best genre imo. Love it to death.
Jun 24, 2019 6:34 AM

Oct 2010
The videos by both BobSamurai and MudanTV are embarrassing. I watched them a while ago and they are worthless both at analytic level and at trying to explain or understand the appeal of SoL they don't get. Mudan's is worse because aside from reductive it is insulting and condescending towards its fans.

It is extremely easy to not be into slice of life. After all, not everybody wants to see routines, and not everybody is into plotlines that simply let things flow instead of focusing on a threat or a conflict. I think in that sense it is easy to understand why people find these shows boring. There is a reason why cliffhangers are so popular as narrative strategies to hook their audiences; high expectations, getting pumped up for future events and wild rides are the basis of enjoyment for many people and it's rare that a SoL offers that.

But way too often people don't know what is a slice of life. It's probably not even true -not like I have the stats here- that the majority of SoL anime are set in high school. This is just an old prejudice. Some mistake SoL for, I dunno, moe or CGDCT, when plenty of such shows don't fall in these labels. Slice of life is far wider than people give credit for, and while it's okay to not enjoy it in that wide conceptual level, people often just dislike specific subsets of it.

Seiya said:

Well, not like I want to start a discussion here, but you have watched exactly one, and you happen to like it.
jal90Jun 24, 2019 6:48 AM
Jun 24, 2019 6:35 AM

Feb 2016
Seiya said:
What about CBDCT? will you like SoL then!?
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 24, 2019 6:39 AM

Jan 2013
if a SoL anime only cares to unfold the daily tales of the characters then it is bound to be boring. Unless I really am into the characters. A good SoL is one where there's a mix of daily life and an engaging plot going around.
Jun 24, 2019 6:40 AM

Oct 2013
Not at all
personally , i enjoy watching this genre
Jun 24, 2019 6:45 AM

Jun 2014
PantsuSenseiUwU said:
Seiya said:
What about CBDCT? will you like SoL then!?

It's quite possible, but I prefer my boys to be sexy, rather than cute.

I hate cute things.

Jun 24, 2019 6:45 AM

Nov 2016
I actually watched a bit of both videos and dear God. Bob Samurai is into manly stuff and complains that cuteness does nothing for him, which is his good right, but it's ironic when a soy boy like him says that.

The guy in the other video was even cringier. Being as superficial as he can get and dares to call other idiots and that those who enjoy slice of life have crap taste, lol. Again, it's ok if he don't enjoy the genre and he's free to create a video about it, but he should put more effort into his argumentation instead of bashing it, even if it is just supposed to represent his honest opinion. He also seems to lack basic empathy or he simply doesn't want to understand the appeal. Maybe he should've talked with fans of the genre before or whatever. In any case, more than enough reasons why you shouldn't take his opinion seriously not to mention how hard he's trying to speak with a deep voice

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2019 6:48 AM

Mar 2018
I don't know I only watch anime for males
poop
Jun 24, 2019 6:48 AM

Apr 2019
SOL is either a hit-or-miss depending on the story and/or plot of the show.

It's good if it actually has Progression or Character development behind the story, but If it's just your typical everyday nonsense then it's pretty damn boring I would say.

The biggest example on this would be Clannad and Clannad : AS

In Clannad, we have your typical everyday nonsense where the story/development progresses albeit slowly.
Clannad : AS focuses more on the relationship and development of the MC and has little time for nonsense.

Examples of SOL that actually has progression/development :
Hinamatsuri / Nodame Cantabile / 3-gatsu no Lion

Examples of SOL that is utter nonsense that bores me to death.
Working / Hyouka / Seitokai Yakuindomo

I'm not a hater of the latter anime's, it's just not my cup of tea. You get the point.

Jun 24, 2019 6:50 AM

Jun 2014
jal90 said:
The videos by both BobSamurai and MudanTV are embarrassing. I watched them a while ago and they are worthless both at analytic level and at trying to explain or understand the appeal of SoL they don't get. Mudan's is worse because aside from reductive it is insulting and condescending towards its fans.

It is extremely easy to not be into slice of life. After all, not everybody wants to see routines, and not everybody is into plotlines that simply let things flow instead of focusing on a threat or a conflict. I think in that sense it is easy to understand why people find these shows boring. There is a reason why cliffhangers are so popular as narrative strategies to hook their audiences; high expectations, getting pumped up for future events and wild rides are the basis of enjoyment for many people and it's rare that a SoL offers that.

But way too often people don't know what is a slice of life. It's probably not even true -not like I have the stats here- that the majority of SoL anime are set in high school. This is just an old prejudice. Some mistake SoL for, I dunno, moe or CGDCT, when plenty of such shows don't fall in these labels. Slice of life is far wider than people give credit for, and while it's okay to not enjoy it in that wide conceptual level, people often just dislike specific subsets of it.

Seiya said:

Well, not like I want to start a discussion here, but you have watched exactly one, and you happen to like it.

Azumanga Daioh doesn't qualify as a real CGDCT Anime, though.

It's shounen, not seinen.

Jun 24, 2019 6:52 AM

Nov 2016
Seiya said:
jal90 said:

Please not this shit again, lmao. But wasn't there already a discussion about Azumanga with the very same premise?

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 24, 2019 6:54 AM

Oct 2010
Seiya said:

Demographic tags are irrelevant to classify thematic genres. They are a completely different method of classification that operates in parallel.

Then again, if you don't consider Azumanga Daioh a CGDCT anime (which I do), it turns that you've watched none. Which again reinforces my point.
Jun 24, 2019 6:55 AM

Feb 2016
only if you watch the entire 12 episodes in one sitting
Jun 24, 2019 6:58 AM

Jun 2014
jal90 said:
Seiya said:

Demographic tags are irrelevant to classify thematic genres. They are a completely different method of classification that operates in parallel.

Then again, if you don't consider Azumanga Daioh a CGDCT anime (which I do), it turns that you've watched none. Which again reinforces my point.

I hate cute things. I tried watching The iDOLM@STER a couple of months ago, but dropped it halfway through the 2nd episode, because the character's voices were so high pitched and annoying. I really wanted to like it, as I have many iDOLM@STER figures, but I just couldn't get into it.

Instead, I watched "iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia," and I actually enjoyed that Anime.

Jun 24, 2019 7:03 AM

May 2018
-Shinzo said:

Putting Hyouka here only demonstrates that mysteries and logical puzzles are not your thing. It has ongoing narrative too.

Working also has ongoing narrative.

SYD too but I admit it's very slow...
Jun 24, 2019 7:04 AM

Oct 2010
Seiya said:
jal90 said:

I hate cute things. I tried watching The iDOLM@STER a couple of months ago, but dropped it halfway through the 2nd episode, because the character's voices were so high pitched and annoying. I really wanted to like it, as I have many iDOLM@STER figures, but I just couldn't get into it.

Instead, I watched "iDOLM@STER Xenoglossia," and I actually enjoyed that Anime.

Fair enough. Makes sense, though I haven't watched The iDOLM@STER to know what kind of cutesy it is.
Jun 24, 2019 7:06 AM

Mar 2012
Nope they are not because the flavor is as different as any other genre.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jun 24, 2019 7:08 AM

Mar 2019
They're not boring per se but they do seem like a drag sometimes, it all boils down to if and only if you're into that genre and are patient enough to stick by and watch it until the end, I guess. Like I usually finish an anime in a day or two but every time I watch a slice of life, it takes me a week or something.
omae wa mou shindeiru.
Jun 24, 2019 7:11 AM

Jan 2014
I find 90% of them boring. Of the exceptions, it is usually because they have actual story elements involved (eg. Clannad). I don't think it is likely to grow on me this far down the line
Jun 24, 2019 7:13 AM

Jul 2016
No not really. It all depends on the execution and directing. There are many great qualities behind Slice of life, such as music, characters, visuals, etc.

Plus, Azumanga Daioh is slice of life so no, not all of them are "boring"
Jun 24, 2019 7:17 AM

Dec 2008
There is no such thing as anime that is just slice of life. It is always going to be slice of life and something else, like comedy, romance, etc. I'm not even really sure if slice of life should be considered a genre.
Anyway, people who say they don't like SoL, or SoL series are boring, are just trying to elicit a response or come off as being edgy. Look at the series filed as SoL on MAL https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/36/Slice_of_Life many of these series are very different from something like K-ON.
Jun 24, 2019 7:20 AM

Feb 2016
alshu said:
-Shinzo said:

Putting Hyouka here only demonstrates that mysteries and logical puzzles are not your thing. It has ongoing narrative too.

SYD too but I admit it's very slow...
This

all 3 of those are 9+ in my book

@-shinzo you could literally be on the cast of SYD with your manga rec lol
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 24, 2019 7:21 AM

Apr 2019
alshu said:

It does contain mysteries and logic, yes, but it does very little to the progression of the story.
They solve a mystery, and they go to a new one that's not even connected to the last. It's just, solve this/solve that for the sake of solving.

If you look at Death Note/Monster/ERASED : Whenever they solve a problem, it leads to the next evidence, then it leads to the next one, that would keep you guessing, then that would eventually lead to the climax. That's what makes it all the more enjoyable.

alshu said:

I don't mind strong narratives, as long as it develops the story. I don't want to think/read all that stuff just for them to explain how their days went.

Again, I don't hate SOL. I just find it boring when there's little to no progression on the story or characters.

-ShinzoJun 24, 2019 7:26 AM

Jun 24, 2019 7:27 AM

May 2018
Yeah, they are boring although there are exception.
Jun 24, 2019 7:52 AM
Jun 2017
I don´t think so... they can be boring but it doesn´t depend on the genre. It depends on te story development, the characters, the plot.
In fact, I enjoy watching this kind of anime because I think it is relaxing and I need to relax sometimes.
The best example os Slice of Life anime I can recommend right now is Hyouka. Just beautiful.
Jun 24, 2019 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
A lot of anime fans are way too young to appreciate SoL. They want flashy fights and eye-popping action, not wholesome moments of love and affection.

You honestly think a 14 year-old is going to fully enjoy something like Sweetness & Lightning or Usagi Drop?
It's possible, but the vast majority won't.
Jun 24, 2019 8:22 AM

Feb 2018
I don't find all of them boring. As someone who likes slice of life shows a lot, there are dull moments, I'll give you that. It's a tough genre to make it entertaining for the mass.

But I personally think it goes with age, like how the older you get, you'll appreciate it even more.
Jun 24, 2019 8:42 AM

Feb 2017
Just like another genre some of SoL are boring, but many are interesting.
People who say SoL genre is generally boring are usually like anime with MC overpowered nice guy who get all the girl.

THIS SENTENCE EXPLAINS IT ALL.
RedDesire said:

But I personally think it goes with age, like how the older you get, you'll appreciate it even more.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» How would you describe the Mary Sue characters and how would you like them?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

35 by RobertBobert »»
1 minute ago

» Is it wrong to care A LOT about someone's tastes and preferences?

Pokitaru - 4 hours ago

17 by Kenzolo-folk »»
1 minute ago

» A Goddess pays you a visit and promises to grant you a wish.

Shizuna - 24 minutes ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are there so few if any space sci-fi isekai ?

tchitchouan - Jun 27

26 by AcD4c »»
20 minutes ago

» Your "ZA COOLEST" Character

Lion_Sin - 6 hours ago

10 by Lucifrost »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.