Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime Staff of 'Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online' Announced

New
Feb 7, 2018 11:29 AM

Jul 2009
The official website of Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online announced production staff members for the series on Thursday. The adaptation of the light novels of the same name will begin airing in April 2018 on Tokyo MX, BS11, Tochigi TV, Gunma TV, MBS, and TV Aichi. A 15-second advertisement spot for the series was also released by Aniplex.

Staff
Director: Masayuki Sakoi (Needless)
Series Composition, Script: Yousuke Kuroda (Boku no Hero Academia)
Character Design, Chief Animation Director: Yoshio Kozakai (Kizumonogatari main animator)
Studio: Studio 3Hz

CM

Note: The video is region-locked; click here for an alternative link.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online's light novels are written by Keiichi Sigsawa and illustrated by Kouhaku Kuroboshi. Six volumes of the novels and two volumes of the manga adaptation have been published.

Source: Comic Natalie
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Feb 7, 2018 11:34 AM

Feb 2011
Not A1-Pictures ? Surprising.
Feb 7, 2018 11:43 AM

Mar 2012
>not A-1 Pictures
>No Kirito

Yes!!!!!!!!
This is gonna be way better than the original.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Feb 7, 2018 11:51 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
When I first heard it was 3Hz I wasn't sure what to think lol
Feb 7, 2018 11:53 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm interesting that A1 pictures isn't doing this. But i guess they have their hands full with Darling in the FranXX though. The studio that's in charge of this is interesting though as they created the excellent Princess Principal from summer last year. Hopefully this will be just as good.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2018 11:57 AM

Dec 2015
This might actually be good. I'm somewhat excited for this.

Feb 7, 2018 12:27 PM
Jul 2016
Studio 3Hz huh? Well, Princess Principal was awesome and who can forget the Dimension W dance? Add the director of my favorite guilty pleasure Matoi and things are looking quite promising. At the very least this will be fun, if nothing else.
Feb 7, 2018 12:39 PM

Apr 2012
Mouloxas said:
Studio 3Hz huh? Well, Princess Principal was awesome and who can forget the Dimension W dance? Add the director of my favorite guilty pleasure Matoi and things are looking quite promising. At the very least this will be fun, if nothing else.

Director: Masayuki Sakoi (Needless)

Given the previous hit of the studio and Panic in his portfolio, I'm curious as to how with romance in the manga, lol.
Feb 7, 2018 1:16 PM

Aug 2016
Nice to see Studio 3Hz onto another project. The character design and visual style of the poster is highly reminiscent of Princess Principal.
Feb 7, 2018 1:34 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Never really watched an anime from this drector but the ones he directed seems eh
The rest tho is pretty kewl.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 7, 2018 1:37 PM

Sep 2012
GGO is boring af

Literally the only thing that made SAO potentially interesting was the threat of actual death. Remove that and any drama they try to introduce becomes just a bunch of loser kids painfully overreacting to video games.
Feb 7, 2018 2:00 PM

Apr 2014
Red_Keys said:
GGO is boring af

Literally the only thing that made SAO potentially interesting was the threat of actual death. Remove that and any drama they try to introduce becomes just a bunch of loser kids painfully overreacting to video games.
lol nothing interesting about the OG SAO

this SAO has the writer from Kino no Tabi = instantly 1000X more interesting
Feb 7, 2018 2:29 PM

May 2015
I was expecting A-1 Pictures like many others did. Looking forward to this either way.

Drachen said:
Nice to see Studio 3Hz onto another project. The character design and visual style of the poster is highly reminiscent of Princess Principal.

Not surprising, considering both share the same original artist.

Feb 7, 2018 2:33 PM

Jan 2008
The pink outfit is kinda... a huge deal breaker. Pink in forest. That camo tho
Feb 7, 2018 2:39 PM

Sep 2016
Director is a former madhouse employee and one of the founding members of 3hz and directed their first Project called Sora no Method and also directed this masterpiece>>

https://myanimelist.net/anime/7748/Sono_Hanabira_ni_Kuchizuke_wo__Anata_to_Koibito_Tsunagi
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Feb 7, 2018 2:47 PM

Jan 2016
A-1 Pictures didn't want to take it cuz there aren't Kirito there. xD
Feb 7, 2018 2:58 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Hatsuyuki said:

At least Alicization will get more focus from them, and they really need to give all they got with that, otherwise it will leave alot of LN readers disappointed.

Cant wait for that arc to get the airing release date annouced!
Feb 7, 2018 3:10 PM

Mar 2014
>Studio 3Hz instead of A1 Pictures
>No Kiristu or Weaksuna around
>written by the Kino no Tabi guy

SAO franchise is saved! /lol
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Feb 7, 2018 3:28 PM

Feb 2011
Playcool said:
Hatsuyuki said:

At least Alicization will get more focus from them, and they really need to give all they got with that, otherwise it will leave alot of LN readers disappointed.

You can say whatever you want about SAO but the fighting scenes animated by A1-Pictures are well executed.
Feb 7, 2018 3:33 PM

Oct 2016
If you're coming into this with the "oh it's kino no tabi author, it'll be good" in mind, or something among those lines, i'd like to give you a little advice:

The novels are extremely boring, period.

This guy takes his 'love for guns' (speaking of which, he talks about it in the author notes at the end of the novel) to the next level. He constantly pauses the narrative to give meaningless notes about random stuff (and guns) that...uh, you know what? Won't have any real impact in the actual story; (yeah, he does it in such a MEH way that it feels wrong to talk about guns in a story about guns) like, someone could compile the whole actual narrative, letting out his constant monologues, and it would probably feel like a decent story, though it's just annoyingly boring the way it is. It was a pain to finish the first 2 volumes and i wanted no more of this. (just in case, he does the same in kino no tabi, but since he's trying to build up something, it feels a little more acceptable).

To sum it up, it feels like Tolkien trying to write SAO, taking half a page to describe something you'll forget in the next 5 seconds.

Still up to the Anime though, since i'm sure the director/studio will make up for this author's poor writing just like others did to his previous works.
Feb 7, 2018 3:36 PM

Oct 2015
2018 is a blast !So many good shows will coming in this year.
Feb 7, 2018 3:37 PM

Oct 2015
Hatsuyuki said:
Playcool said:

You can say whatever you want about SAO but the fighting scenes animated by A1-Pictures are well executed.

I'm agree with this. A-1 Pictures is not bad studio.
Feb 7, 2018 3:44 PM

Apr 2014
Ainosense said:
If you're coming into this with the "oh it's kino no tabi author, it'll be good" in mind, or something among those lines, i'd like to give you a little advice:

This guy takes his 'love for guns' (speaking of which, he talks about it in the author notes at the end of the novel) to the next level. He constantly pauses the narrative to give meaningless notes about random stuff (and guns) that...uh, you know what? Won't have any real impact in the actual story; (yeah, he does it in such a MEH way that it feels wrong to talk about guns in a story about guns) like, someone could compile the whole actual narrative, letting out his constant monologues, and it would probably feel like a decent story, though it's just annoyingly boring the way it is. It was a pain to finish the first 2 volumes and i wanted no more of this. (just in case, he does the same in kino no tabi, but since he's trying to build up something, it feels a little more acceptable).

To sum it up, it feels like Tolkien trying to write SAO, taking half a page to describe something you'll forget in the next 5 seconds.
Sounds exactly why it will be good.
Feb 7, 2018 4:10 PM

Aug 2016
sword art boringline
Feb 7, 2018 4:16 PM

Aug 2016
Surprised that A1 pictures isn't doing it this time. Oh well, hopefully it'll be somewhat decent.

If corrupting myself is enough to put everyone else at ease, then I will gladly take on this job. — Keigo Takami
Feb 7, 2018 5:04 PM

Oct 2016
moodie said:
Ainosense said:

Sounds exactly why it will be good.

I hope so~
Visuals look pretty good, specially Karen (llynn) herself.
Feb 7, 2018 5:13 PM

Jul 2017
To be honest I'm only watching this for the anime challenge, I have pretty low expectations as I have never watched an Alternative story before. :P
Feb 7, 2018 6:36 PM
Jan 2016
While I appreciate the different staff who may give a fresh take of SAO, I am not expecting that much from them. The director is not that promising, & the screenwriter is quite mixed in term of his previous works. This really could go either way.

Dara said:
Surprised that A1 pictures isn't doing it this time. Oh well, hopefully it'll be somewhat decent.

I am pretty sure it's announced very early that A1 Pictures are not working on this.

Ainosense said:

Still up to the Anime though, since i'm sure the director/studio will make up for this author's poor writing just like others did to his previous works.

I see. So it's like Mahouka of SAO. I hope the staff just trim the unnecessary exposition.
Feb 7, 2018 7:11 PM
Dec 2017
Ainosense said:

that sounds good tho

The staff is decent i guess
Feb 7, 2018 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
I'm not too anticipated for this right now after the reveal of the staff... they're kinda lackluster with only the script writer being the higher up.

I dunno, the source isn't that good really. As I prefer the original more due to me not stomaching the character's entire conflict which was really hard to go through until a certain point.

Also: People please don't hype up something because of the author, given how these are not usually good sign wise sometimes. That's coming from me and I read the source of the LN and I wasn't really invested to where I would really continue it.

The LN suffers from massive pacing issues, but by comparison this is much slower and even more tedious to go and read through, since the LN tends to give more information rather than actual context of the story.

The protagonist' background also doesn't help this entire thing since her prologue and conflict feels somewhat unrealistic to where there's really too damn much to where it kinda makes her uninteresting as a character at the start. The only reason why I'm not saying I hate her is because of the later parts where she acts more hyper active and energetic, but that's because she kinda solved her issue, somewhat so far.

And yeah I'm a Kirito fag but the thing is even I can acknowledge something when it's done right... but this wasn't done in the best way possible. I'd say. So I'm not going to expect much aside from maybe hoping they can fix the prologue shit, since that's probably the most unneeded thing in the novel. I swear, you can cut off the information of her and you CAN STILL get the point of her character.
removed-userFeb 7, 2018 8:03 PM
Feb 7, 2018 7:46 PM
Jul 2018
kirakiii said:
Ainosense said:

that sounds good tho

See this is an issue I had with the novel. It pretty much focuses too much on the narrative and the way its done its pretty missed. It misses the opportunity and in the end it makes the experience somewhat lackluster. That's why after 2-3 chapters of Volume 1 I stopped because despite liking the additions it didn't made me feel too interested to where I would be too invested on it.

I hope the staff can fix some of the issues the LN already had, given that the author has a love for guns but this isn't really what the series is about as a whole... It's even more unneeded info dumping than the original series, and it irritates me. There's a limitation of how knowledgeable you are with something, and there's a limit on how much you should add. If you're going to focus on mainly explaining the basis of guns for a long ass time, that's pretty bad.

Again. LIMITS.
removed-userFeb 7, 2018 7:50 PM
Feb 7, 2018 7:57 PM
Jan 2018
I have the feeling that when the series come out will suck, the spins offs in general almost always sucks in comparation with the original, and SAO is not the best anime series by far...
Feb 7, 2018 8:23 PM
Aug 2017
Not sure why there seems to be more doubt for this series compared to last week's announcement. By the looks of it, Sakoi only had a few decent works, but I am still looking forward to it bcuz I'm sure that 3Hz will bring a great quality series.
Feb 7, 2018 8:28 PM

Jul 2015
Staff is Nice and its suprising that it isn't from A-1

Well...
Feb 8, 2018 4:23 AM

Jul 2014
Double edge sword, not A1 steak sauce pictures so thank kamisama but ehh staff, could go south who knows...

But hey Kirito-kun ain't here so that's a plus they don't fuck up the story just for him.
Feb 8, 2018 8:03 AM

Aug 2016
HMS-Unicorn said:
>not A-1 Pictures
>No Kirito

Yes!!!!!!!!
This is gonna be way better than the original.

Hell yeah. I have the same thoughts too.
Feb 8, 2018 12:36 PM

Oct 2016
Wasshio said:
kirakiii said:
that sounds good tho

See this is an issue I had with the novel. It pretty much focuses too much on the narrative and the way its done its pretty missed. It misses the opportunity and in the end it makes the experience somewhat lackluster. That's why after 2-3 chapters of Volume 1 I stopped because despite liking the additions it didn't made me feel too interested to where I would be too invested on it.

I hope the staff can fix some of the issues the LN already had, given that the author has a love for guns but this isn't really what the series is about as a whole... It's even more unneeded info dumping than the original series, and it irritates me. There's a limitation of how knowledgeable you are with something, and there's a limit on how much you should add. If you're going to focus on mainly explaining the basis of guns for a long ass time, that's pretty bad.

Again. LIMITS.
That's it. I had the same feeling. You know, i was like "why would you tell me every single spec of a gun that won't even fire when we're simply running through the battlefield to find a safe place?" at times. And of course, there was a whole lot of character description for those who would just come in and leave right away, let alone all the "a little earlier", "before that", "in another place" and all the flashback tools that were constantly used every time he wanted to explain something that felt too random. You know, it felt like he had no real story in mind through all of his writing.

It irritated me as well. I mean, i wouldn't mind being flooded by relevant info from time to time (if that's even possible) but it was just so random I kept pushing my head into the pillows wondering if the story would ever move on, and would simply lose interst after 15~ minutes of reading. It took me around two weeks to finish something i would normally go through in 2~3 days.

Feb 8, 2018 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
Ainosense said:
Wasshio said:

Again. LIMITS.
That's it. I had the same feeling. You know, i was like "why would you tell me every single spec of a gun that won't even fire when we're simply running through the battlefield to find a safe place?" at times. And of course, there was a whole lot of character description for those who would just come in and leave right away, let alone all the "a little earlier", "before that", "in another place" and all the flashback tools that were constantly used every time he wanted to explain something that felt too random. You know, it felt like he had no real story in mind through all of his writing.

It irritated me as well. I mean, i wouldn't mind being flooded by relevant info from time to time (if that's even possible) but it was just so random I kept pushing my head into the pillows wondering if the story would ever move on, and would simply lose interst after 15~ minutes of reading. It took me around two weeks to finish something i would normally go through in 2~3 days.

I wouldn't exactly blame you. I mean this has potential. And granted it does have stuff that are interesting. The problem of the novel is how much the author throws info in and adding which makes the entire reading experience tedious. It doesn't help much because you're essentially giving a documentary on guns at this point, rather than giving actual context of the actual story which was supposed to be the conflict about a girl with height issues and wanting to fit to what she wants as well.

It doesn't help because the info dumping shallows the rest of the stuff in the source and it doesn't help given that some of the stuff in the gun explanations are irrelevant later on. I wouldn't say all from what I've read, but there's really no point in adding the information to the point where it's beyond an entertainment source, but literally reading a book from literature class. That's how I felt when reading the other chapters that I've read from the series.

I do hope again, the series can fix the issues or skim through the explanations of the guns at least some of them or translate them to visual format so that way the experience when watching it visually doesn't come off as watching a presentation. And I'm saying this because the amount of stuff it has causes the pacing to be slow, not as much compared to the novel but a chore to sit through.

And this is coming from someone who has read the original series and admittedly it has its flaws but it wasn't as apparent compared to the spin-off. At least in the original SAO novels it takes an degree of heavy breather and actually focuses on the story parts. Yes there will be points where information will be placed, but it isn't as random. It felt more natural, and in this it seems like the guy doesn't know what he's actually doing with the spin-off. It doesn't even feel like GGO a lot. It feels like something else.
Feb 8, 2018 2:08 PM

Oct 2016
Wasshio said:
Ainosense said:

I wouldn't exactly blame you. I mean this has potential. And granted it does have stuff that are interesting. The problem of the novel is how much the author throws info in and adding which makes the entire reading experience tedious. It doesn't help much because you're essentially giving a documentary on guns at this point, rather than giving actual context of the actual story which was supposed to be the conflict about a girl with height issues and wanting to fit to what she wants as well.

It doesn't help because the info dumping shallows the rest of the stuff in the source and it doesn't help given that some of the stuff in the gun explanations are irrelevant later on. I wouldn't say all from what I've read, but there's really no point in adding the information to the point where it's beyond an entertainment source, but literally reading a book from literature class. That's how I felt when reading the other chapters that I've read from the series.

I do hope again, the series can fix the issues or skim through the explanations of the guns at least some of them or translate them to visual format so that way the experience when watching it visually doesn't come off as watching a presentation. And I'm saying this because the amount of stuff it has causes the pacing to be slow, not as much compared to the novel but a chore to sit through.

And this is coming from someone who has read the original series and admittedly it has its flaws but it wasn't as apparent compared to the spin-off. At least in the original SAO novels it takes an degree of heavy breather and actually focuses on the story parts. Yes there will be points where information will be placed, but it isn't as random. It felt more natural, and in this it seems like the guy doesn't know what he's actually doing with the spin-off. It doesn't even feel like GGO a lot. It feels like something else.
I think i'm coming in in with another: That's it!

I've also read the origial SAO, and yeah, kawahara's monologues feel more natural since they do add stuff to the story, even though it's still a little exausting from time to time, it's still needed for further understanding (can't say the same about the spin-off). Also, he had a poor definition of cause/effect back then, speaking of which, you can clearly see he's a much better author all through the Alicization arc.

As for the spin-off, i really want to see it being another Anime that's surpassed its original source, so we're in the same boat. And hell, it will surelly be better, unless they add something like a narrator to come up with the guns description or something like that.

PS: It gave me a little grin when i read the "a chore to sit through" part on your text.
Feb 9, 2018 5:43 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Hatsuyuki said:
Playcool said:

I know, but I kinda want them to excell more at expressing raw emotion, having Kirito look more like a normal human, that suffers just like anyone else.
If they cant nail this, they will shitting on major plot points for Alicization.
Feb 10, 2018 9:22 PM

Aug 2010
Cautiously looking forward to it.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 15, 2018 5:59 PM

Feb 2015
Studio 3Hz has a fairly good reputation so far. They made Flip Flappers which was great. Of course the more important thing is the director etc.

Anyway I am happy there is no Kirito in this. Will check it out. Though chances are it will be a generic action harem etc you know the rest. I really hope it is good.
Mar 7, 2018 9:10 AM

Nov 2007
OP: "Ryuusei (流星)" by Eir Aoi
http://moca-news.net/article/20180308/2018030801000a_/01/

ED: "To see the future" by Karen Kohiruimaki (CV: Tomori Kusunogi)
https://twitter.com/ggo_anime/status/976488056625639426
tsubasaloverMar 23, 2018 1:52 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 20, 2019 8:10 AM

Nov 2007
Elza Kanzaki starring ReoNa New Single Prologue on June 26
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1555749775
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

7 by Yubisoft »»
15 minutes ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

10 by Calal-Chan »»
31 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
8 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.