Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 6, 2018 8:53 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, new OP song. It reused some of the footage from the first half of the show. I like the first song better tbh.

It's nice to see Chise back with Elias again. She talks to him about her parents and it's a neat way for the two to understand each other better.

I think overall, this was a nice way for the second cour to begin and the music really played worked well for the episode to present the character chemistry between Chise/Elias.
Jan 6, 2018 11:04 AM
Aug 2017
That beginning gave me chills.

Really enjoyed the new opening.

The sheep bugs are cute lmao.

Interesting to see whats the deal with Ashen Eye as Elias did seem to know him quite well, then he got worried when the 3-eyed geezer pulled his trick on Chise.

New ED was also nice.
Jan 6, 2018 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
New OP, new ED

Pretty much nothing happened through the whole episode, cliffhanger at the end tho.
Jan 6, 2018 11:22 AM

Jun 2016
I was hoping for a strong episode after a weeks break for christmas and the ending of the last episode, while it wasn't strong it didn't fall flat, still maintaining quality.

An interesting observation of Elias being a child in an adults body, so now we know where the "teacher of human" comes from that was in the 3 episodes prequel. I had never considered Elias being a emotionally stunted.

I think I prefer the original OP, the new one doesn't invoke as much emotion, but then we were spoiled with it.

Hopefully with Ashen the series will pick up a bit more now, seems to be fairly formulated episodes up until now.
agilityredfoxJan 6, 2018 11:30 AM

Jan 6, 2018 11:25 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
New OP and ED is ok. Wasnt a fan of reused footage and the ED visuals weren't anything great. Personally prefer both the first OP and ED.

This was a nice episode. We really just have Chise and Elias spending time talking to one another at house and cutting them wooly bugs. Ashen Eye later comes by and turns Chise into a fox.

Very much looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 6, 2018 11:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Change the season, and changes the OP and Ed... I prefer the before!!
Jan 6, 2018 11:27 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again. The new OP and ED are pretty good.

The sheep bugs were quite amusing except for the Ice bug in a sheep's clothing. :3

I loved the moment Elias and Chise had with the latter observing that Elias is kind of like a child in an adult's body. It's also interesting to note that Elias feels happy that he was able to feel a new emotion which in this case is loneliness.

Little more backstory for Chise.

That ending though, Ashen Eye's with his tricks, turning Chise into a Fox.
Jan 6, 2018 11:44 AM

Jul 2012
Well pretty much build-up episode, Chise and Elias were able to talk about their relationship even if it was a little bit. Really like the moments with magic being animated and that was a little bit from OVA.
Jan 6, 2018 11:46 AM
Jan 2017
While not much happened action wise, this episode was a real milestone for Chise's and Elias' growth as characters. This is the first time they actually talk and share with each other like friends, and the significance can't be dismissed. Both are growing in their social skills, though even Chise can tell Elias has a long way to go.

The question remains - did she say what she wanted to say, or is there still something held back?
Jan 6, 2018 12:04 PM
Jul 2016
New OP and ED are bad. The songs are nothing special and the bland visuals don't help either. Especially the OP, wtf was that? At least draw something new, don't be so lazy...

Other than that, this episode is just a set-up for future events. Sweet moment between Chise and Elias and a step forward in their relationship, even if it felt a bit underwhelming considering the previous 2 episodes were building up to this conversation.

And Nakata going full Nakata is always glorious.
Jan 6, 2018 12:08 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I think the shows producers like Macross singers. The first OP (which I like more) was sung Junna from Macross Delta and this one by May'n from Macross Frontier.

That ending was scary.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 6, 2018 12:11 PM

Jun 2007
The opening was just an AMV you could easily find on Youtube.
Jan 6, 2018 12:15 PM

Feb 2016
Not a huge fan of the new OP, seemed really generic, old one was much better. New ED is decent though.

I liked that they used parts from the OVA in this ep.
Jan 6, 2018 12:21 PM

Jul 2013
The best: Jouji Nakata's voice.
The worst: The opening. Seriously, they could have made a better job than mixing parts of the previous moments of the shows in an AMV. Hope they will make a proper animation later.
Jan 6, 2018 12:23 PM

Oct 2014
New op... but it's not as good as the first one. Even the first one wasn't anything special.
Sort of a filler episode. We got a little more information about Chise and there was a sheep duel.
Jan 6, 2018 12:37 PM

Jun 2017
And so the second cour starts.

I am not a fan of the new opening and ending but at least they didn't spoiler the whole second half with it so it's something I guess.

It was nice seeing the OVA being integrated into the story properly although there was absolutely no need for it since it can stand up as a side story on its own but they did it anyway.

Next week should be better, I didn't think they would slow this part down this much but the preview seems to have the opposite problem where it rushes like crazy.
MomoSinXJan 6, 2018 12:40 PM
Jan 6, 2018 12:43 PM

Jun 2014
I think I liked the first OP and ED more.

Pretty chill episode, until the ending. Jouji Nakata's voice fits Ashen Eye so well.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Jan 6, 2018 12:45 PM

Jun 2017
thebrentinator24 said:
I think I liked the first OP and ED more.

Pretty chill episode, until the ending. Jouji Nakata's voice fits Ashen Eye so well.

Yeah, they really nailed it, he is nowhere near this menacing in the manga, at least you wouldn't think from his looks lol. The voice really adds a lot.
Jan 6, 2018 12:51 PM

Jul 2014
A slow episode, but there were some good moments of growth for both Chise and Elias, and we've caught up with the OVAs now, which is nice. Not really much else to say, although Ashen Eye seems pretty menacing.

Also, the first OP and ED were miles better than the new ones.
Jan 6, 2018 12:54 PM

Jan 2017
Can someone explain to me how she carries that wand hidden if it is even bigger than her back? lol.

I was a bit bored but it gt better towards the end.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Jan 6, 2018 1:21 PM

Dec 2012
Nice first episode for the year. OP song is decent as well as the ED song.

Those Wooly Bugs are cute. Nice to see Elias & Chise connect more.

I enjoy seeing Chise learn more about magic. Chise turning into a fox was unexpected.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Jan 6, 2018 1:23 PM
Dec 2017
The new OP was great, not a fan of the new ED but this show keeps on making me want to learn more
Jan 6, 2018 1:36 PM

Jul 2014
ahh loved the new op, nothing special editing wise but great scene choices that tell the story.
Great Episode
Jan 6, 2018 1:48 PM

Feb 2017
Missed the show, I'm really glad that it is finally back.
I liked the new opening but I still think the first one was way better.
Elias seems to be getting emotions which is nice. So Chise's brother and father seem to be alive, I'm certain we will see them in the future.
Is it just me or Chise looked exceptionally beautiful this episode? Anyway, I knew something bad was going to happen when that magus showed up but turning her into a fox really surprised me, wonder how she will turn back.
Jan 6, 2018 2:06 PM

Dec 2016
Yay I'm so happy this calm and lovely show is back and WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 6, 2018 2:27 PM
Jan 2018
Hehe well.. I enjoyed it a lot! I didn’t like the opening music.. it was strange to me. I enjoyed this nice slow episode. Got to see the relationship of Elias and Chise grow a bit.
Jan 6, 2018 2:51 PM

Aug 2014
so is the new opening just a recap of the prior episodes. cmon now.
Jan 6, 2018 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
I liked the first OP better, but this is still good. I don't know why Elias didn't expect something weird to happen though with Ashen Eye, it seems that unique characters screwing with Chise is becoming the norm.
Jan 6, 2018 2:58 PM

Mar 2015
At least the new opening doesn't have spoilers, I think.
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Jan 6, 2018 3:07 PM
May 2014
Nice episode. Chise and Elias have a very interesting relationship and this episode did a good job in developing and deeping it more.
The OP was mostly recaps of old scenes but I expect that next episode (or the one after that) we will get some new visuals with this song. I've seen this a few times already that studios have that kind of OP the first time they show it to avoid too heavy spoilers.
Jan 6, 2018 3:59 PM

Jun 2015
New OP and ED are pretty decent. First ones were better. The sheep bugs were amusing, except for that one snow bug that took Chise's heat. Elias was lonely when Chise was away. Their relationship is growing. That ending though.
Jan 6, 2018 4:27 PM

Apr 2017
Some of key frames of the new OP song were ripped off from the first. Chise turned into a kind of wolf.
Jan 6, 2018 4:56 PM

Dec 2015
I was kind of disappointed that the new OP was essentially just all reused clips from the 1st cour. Even though this show looks "pretty", I still feel like the directing and visual composition is not as creative as it could be. A large portion of the recent episodes also suffer from still frames with somewhat stoic character movements and very little animation. However, for a 2-cour show with this much attention to detail, it is to be expected.

Depending on what happens on the next few episodes, this show could be great or just stay "good" in my books, because the recent episodes' pacing have grounded to a halt. I am starting to lose a bit of investment in Chise and Elias' relationship.

Anyways, okay episode overall. Even though I feel like most of this episode's relevant material could have been crammed into half the episode's length.
HibikaseJan 6, 2018 5:00 PM
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Jan 6, 2018 4:56 PM

Jan 2008
New OP was pretty weak, didn't have the magical feel the first OP had. Pretty disappointed all they did for the visuals is reuse scenes from the first cour.

Liked how they showed us the moment from the OVAs in this episode, where they talked about the book and the library.

Jan 6, 2018 5:17 PM

May 2015
Farabeuf said:
I think the shows producers like Macross singers. The first OP (which I like more) was sung Junna from Macross Delta and this one by May'n from Macross Frontier.

We all got used to JUNNA so much that May'n couldn't deliver as strong of an OP. I guess it's a generation thing. Song wasn't bad, but the reused visuals hurt the impact a bit.

KannoSugako said:
Can someone explain to me how she carries that wand hidden if it is even bigger than her back?

It's actually pretty common in anime. They're called asspulls.

We need more Wooly Bugs in this anime...

So Chise isn't completely Japanese, but I guess the other part of her blood isn't too important unless it is made relevant to the story. First a Phoenix, and now...a fox? And is Chise still herself, or has she been manipulated by Ashen Eye? Until next episode...
Jan 6, 2018 5:21 PM

Mar 2014
NEW OP and ED!! the old op was better tho. the ending after all the romantic moments had me chocked, Chise became a fox
Jan 6, 2018 5:55 PM

Jul 2009
You know, you'd think Chise would be safe as long as Elias is beside her but he keeps letting things happen to her even though he's RIGHT THERE! LOL so unreliable xD

Also, YAY Oberon is coming back next ep!

Jan 6, 2018 6:18 PM

Jun 2014
wth. The new OP is garbage. Generic anime song. And the video is 100% recycled footage from previous episodes and the old OP. If no effort is going to be put into it, then whats the point of even changing it? The first OP was one of my favorites last year.
Jan 6, 2018 7:30 PM

Mar 2016
Like a lot of the comments, not a fan of the new op or ed. I like the OVAs but I would rather they gave new content than reminiscing on what's already happened.

I hope it gets better.
Jan 6, 2018 7:31 PM

Jan 2014
Is she a fox? A FOX? I love foxes. Always have, but I don't know why lol.. I just thought they were cool. Also, is the dude from Egypt? I always found that shit interesting.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 6, 2018 7:45 PM

Feb 2016
The new OP feels really generic with that song, the visuals are all right just like the first Opening (I like the first one more tho) The Second Ending is far the best addition at the moment.

That Chise x Elias moment tho...

Welp, a cliffhanger, Chise is now... a Fox?
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 6, 2018 8:10 PM

Jun 2017
I really liked the new OP but especially the ending. I can tell the ending will hit me in the feels later in the show.
Jan 6, 2018 8:45 PM
Apr 2016
nice one.
OP is good, but yes its kinda let down for using cour-1 scenes.
some conversations are lost in the anime, chise shouldn't know by herself to use her necklace to see a creature true form.
WOOLY BUGS ARE THE BEST! PLUSHIE WHEN?! lol

btw, that next episode though...
guess i need to prepare tissue from now on...
Jan 6, 2018 8:57 PM

Aug 2013
new OP sounds more Shounen-ish while the prev OP is a lot more beatiful and fit with this anime more imo

new ED on the other hand tho, my inner AKINO Bless 4 is fanboying right now :>

i'm a bit dissapointed tbh, after waiting this long but we just got the usual pattern (Elias Chise flirting > plottwist). It's certainly not bad, it's just somehow a letdown for me
Jan 6, 2018 10:48 PM

Dec 2015
Dont like the new op , i think its a coincidence that i dont like the new 3gatsu op as well, but i like the new ed
And ashen eye voice sound like kirei , is it nakata jouji ?
I almost forgot chise turning into fox
Jan 6, 2018 11:38 PM

May 2017
I don't like the opening, the song too but more of how they just put some of the previous scenes in it, that was so stupid and exposes how shallow the series is

Okay Elias was once again too late lol lost count already at how many times this happened like he was doing it on purpose or what, is he just naturally has a slow reaction time lol
Jan 7, 2018 3:35 AM
Feb 2014
I LOVED the episode!
I was happily surprised to see a new OP and ED, eventho I liked the first ones better. But it's a nice intro to the next half of the series I guess. Since I read the manga, I knew that thing with the dragon was gonna happen but with the cliffhanger I felt it was too early to introduce that to the anime. That's why I'm happy to see this episode. Apparently they stay true to the manga and work their way up to it.
I was happy to see that they put Chise's struggle about timing in the eps. Because of it, I really related to her and I was actually rooting out loud for her to take her chance and talk to Elias. (My neighbours probaply think I'm crazy by now).
Overall, a very nice eps after the christmas break. It was light and fluffy and it had enough hints to keep the progress in the series.

SOMETHING ELSE.
I'm new to this Mal Forum thing, and if this is the way it works then considder this part 'unwritten'. But I hate to see how every post is like an episode description and less like an episode review. I feel like this is the place where we as viewers can leave a reaction and discuss our opinions about the series. If I want to know what the eps is about, I'll google it. But if I want to give my opinion on it, apparently this is not the place.. and I feel like that's wrong.
Again, I'm new to this and if I went out of line because I don't know how the machanics work then pretend I didn't write this bit at all. But if you feel the same, then let me know I'm not alone in this. (#ExpressingFeels hahahah)
Jan 7, 2018 3:43 AM
Jan 2018
I like the imagery of the show, but the plot so far lacks luster. I hope that there's a little bit more action because of the setup of the cliff hanger. If there isn't I am officially done with the show (maybe lol). I like that the show lies between two worlds were one has Celtic folklore imagery and then modern day U.K. other than that the show is nothing but dialogue and great visuals so far.
Jan 7, 2018 4:06 AM

Feb 2017
Hopefully with what Elias said this episode(since he has been acting it since the start) people will stop saying that he is an adult man grooming an underage girl.

Also about the OP, I'm starting to think they use all their budget on the amazing visuals in the actual episode and are left with almost nothing for the OP so they instead use clips from the show, at least thats the only way I can explain how they make such beautiful scenes like Titanias presentation, Lindel songs and Chise phoenix flight but make nothing else for the OPs.
Jan 7, 2018 4:34 AM
Apr 2016
btw this episode is the same but opposite too with episode 1
epi 1 : Elias declares himself as magic teacher, father, family and chise as his apprentice and bride
epi 13 : Elias said Chise is his Human teacher, Chise thinks Elias is just like a kid, implied she is like mother, chise talking about her family
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mills - Jul 26, 2017

377 by _Flo_ »»
Sep 10, 10:16 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

UrbanJahts - Jul 26, 2017

248 by AngelFlash »»
Sep 9, 2:51 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

267 by animeciyusuf020 »»
Jun 23, 3:08 AM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2018

108 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Mahoutsukai no Yome Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2018

111 by Shocked »»
Jun 16, 7:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.