Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2017 3:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, I'm glad this is back even though there's a lot of recapping. (this was from the TV version I watched. It seems Crunchyroll's version just went right into the Mayoi Hell arc)

Right off the bat, we got Mayoi returning in her own adorable way. Nice to see Gaen back too. Even Yotsugi Ononoki shows up! The narrative of this episode is still very well done as I remember form the previous season.

Such an adorable theme song!

I love the humor from this especially between Araragi and Mayoi.

Looks like Araragi is in the afterlife (Hell). The way they animated "Hell" looks very ordinary and not something like you'd see from some horror show. Resembling Araragi's town, I think this makes the setting rather unique as it contracts with some expectations.

Quite an entertaining episode. I think the highlight is the character relationship/chemistry between Mayoi and Araragi so far. I also really liked some of the usage of art style this episode.

Stark700Aug 12, 2017 5:34 AM
Aug 12, 2017 4:55 AM

Sep 2015
It's not on Chrunchyroll yet?
Aug 12, 2017 4:59 AM

Apr 2014
Draconix814 said:
ITS OUT ON CRUNCHYROLL NOW
moodieAug 12, 2017 5:05 AM
Aug 12, 2017 5:06 AM

May 2013
I haven't seen it yet, but I have a question. How does it compare to other seasons visually?
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.
Aug 12, 2017 5:09 AM

Apr 2014
JackyOhayo said:
I haven't seen it yet, but I have a question. How does it compare to other seasons visually?
I personally thought it was better than owari1 but its not as clean as tsuki or hana
Aug 12, 2017 5:28 AM

Sep 2015
moodie said:
Draconix814 said:
ITS OUT ON CRUNCHYROLL NOW

THANK YOU YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Aug 12, 2017 5:57 AM

Mar 2016
THAT WAS SOOOOOOOO GOOD.

OMG I LOVE HACHIKUJI SO MUCH SKJDKDSFDSDKS !!!!!!
Aug 12, 2017 6:07 AM

May 2016
I haven't watched it because there are no subtitles yet, but I love Hachikuji Mayoi xD
Aug 12, 2017 6:44 AM

May 2016
@moodie how many episode does it air today? (the raw version)
Or for a better question, are all episodes finished airing yet?

EDIT: nvm I checked the other thread and appear like it has 4 episodes for today.
CactiiAug 12, 2017 6:48 AM
Aug 12, 2017 7:20 AM

Sep 2013
5/5- HACHIKUJI!!!

God I miss and adore her. Araragi and Hachikuji are super fun together and their reunion was really entertaining.
TehSnawnAug 13, 2017 12:10 AM

Aug 12, 2017 7:38 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
This episode was really dependent on Araragi and Hachikuji's dynamic, considering the fact that the entire episode was them just talking. But the episode was really enjoyable dure to Araragi reflecting on his past actions and the amazing visuals that accompany it. LMAO at Araragi turning on his lolicon mode when he saw Hachikuji. The most interesting part of this episode was how we get to learn that many of Araragi's actions have been pointless because there would've been someone else who would've solved the problem instead of him. Still, Araragi's a true hero, so even if he's aware of those facts, he would still help others.

5/5
GoldenDevilGamerAug 12, 2017 7:43 AM
Aug 12, 2017 8:16 AM
Jul 2016
JackyOhayo said:

It's clean and beautiful, not worse than before, not greatly improved either. Honestly, i'm just glad the artstyle is back to how it was in the previous seasons and not in the Kizu movies, because i found them really jarring to watch.
Aug 12, 2017 9:46 AM

Jul 2015
I really dislike the comedy Araragi+Hachikuji parts, but other than that it was nice.
Aug 12, 2017 10:01 AM

Apr 2016
It's been a while since I last saw a "monogatari" episode, but hell this one really get me back on track with this anime franchise. The art, sound, and pacing are well done, I can't really complain. Even though this episode is all talk, the way Shaft "distract" us with the visual and animation sequence is something you don't get to see usually nowadays.

Regarding the plot, I must say I need to check back the previous one as I don't remember everything, so it was a bit confusing. Still, it's nice to see the familiar characters back on screen who gave me lots of laughs. Dialogue is also interesting to hear, some are rather poetic maybe, some are thought-invoking. Overall this makes a great comeback of the franchise. 4/5
Aug 12, 2017 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
5/5 would stutter again
Aug 12, 2017 11:07 AM

Nov 2016
Oh man what a nice start.

Yay, Hachikuji is back and the interaction between her and Araragi was just gold, especially his pervy mode and her faces lmao.

Opening was also great.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 12, 2017 11:11 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Loved it. Finally Araragi gets to see Hachikuji again and they walk about in the "Hell" they're in. The interactions between the two was sweet and funny as I expected it to be.

Getting more insight into Araragi and how he felt about certain events when reflecting on his past was very nice to watch.
Aug 12, 2017 11:32 AM

Feb 2015
Is this referring to the first 40 mins? I'll just have to assume so...

Wow, that was excellent!!! The visuals and art and animation were stunning, especially when Hachijkuji took Koyomi through his past. The plot was explained very well. The information dump was not too much to bare. I knew Ougi was the villain, so it's all great. And does this mean Hachikuji is staying?? Oh my god, that would be amazing.

I really liked Hachikuji's new OP. But they didn't play the ClariS ED yet. I guess we'll get it at the end of the next long episode. Ahh, I'm just so happy that Monogatrai is back!!!
Aug 12, 2017 11:46 AM

Aug 2016
Hachikuji is alive, I want to see how the story unfolds now with her reincorporation, I'm so happy to see this great series in aired. Very good episode 5/5.

Eternal love for monogatari series
closeureyesSep 1, 2017 10:38 PM
Aug 12, 2017 11:59 AM

Aug 2016
So were the two 43 minute parts a single episode or has someone just neglected to create an episode 2 Discussion post?

Either way, by the end of the second 43 minutes I was feeling really nostalgic and sad as the ED played back all those backgrounds. It really feels like the end is nigh.

I loved the Kizu artstyle but I still missed the familiar artstyle from everything prior. I'm glad it's back. I also appreciated the use of the ED artstyle being injected into the actual episode of the first 43 minutes.

All in all, it really felt like the Monogatari I've been missing and there's some good rising action going on in between the moments of character development. Looking forward to the rest of it.
"To be Great is to be misunderstood." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SaigoKensei said:
My mistake was assuming they had the same amount of information I had..
Aug 12, 2017 3:50 PM

Jan 2008
Very nice start. Was expecting him to take her along, was hilarious when he did so using his legs.

Also get to see adult Shinobu with her walking with some kind of stage light flashing on her like some fashion model. She's always such a sight to see.
Aug 12, 2017 5:12 PM

Jun 2014
Paul said:
Very nice start. Was expecting him to take her along, was hilarious when he did so using his legs.

Also get to see adult Shinobu with her walking with some kind of stage light flashing on her like some fashion model. She's always such a sight to see.

Was the 43 minutes 1 or 2 episodes together?
Aug 12, 2017 5:29 PM

Jan 2008
Kagami said:
Paul said:

I watched whatever horriblesub ripped from CR, which was the 43 minute one. No ending credits with the episode. Not sure how other subbers dealt with it.
Aug 12, 2017 5:31 PM

Sep 2015
Omg lol knew Mayoi wasnt gonna be in hell with Araragi around :3

My dead soul was cured the moment I saw Mayoi again. <3
Aug 12, 2017 6:06 PM

Aug 2015
Blasting into space and raping on reentry. Glad nothing's changed.
Aug 12, 2017 6:08 PM

Jun 2014
Paul said:
Kagami said:

I watched whatever horriblesub ripped from CR, which was the 43 minute one. No ending credits with the episode. Not sure how other subbers dealt with it.

I'm confused. I see 2 43 minute episodes out, BUT myanimelist has 4 episode discussions.. So, is it possible its 2 eps together?
Aug 12, 2017 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting start, really pleasant OP and abstract backgrounds.
Aug 12, 2017 10:46 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Kagami said:
Paul said:

I'm confused. I see 2 43 minute episodes out, BUT myanimelist has 4 episode discussions.. So, is it possible its 2 eps together?
The 43 min episodes are actually two episodes together. Therefore there's two 43 min episodes (4 episodes overall). Tomorrow's episode will be three episodes together.
Aug 13, 2017 12:47 AM
Jul 2018
God, I missed that rapport between Hachikuji and Araragi. Lmao

From Koyomimonogatari ep 12 up to this point, so, apparently, Araragi was dragged into Avici Hell.

Doesnt matter, Hachikuji is back <3 <3 <3
Aug 13, 2017 1:07 AM

Sep 2013
damn, how I missed hachikuji's phrases. :)

and daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, HOW I MISSED SHAFT's style the most!
Erika___Aug 13, 2017 1:16 AM
Aug 13, 2017 5:08 AM

Aug 2008
Ara lucky! lmao

I teared up when Mayoi showed up. She has become so fuckin endearing. I fell into despair when we learn that she went to Hell.
Aug 13, 2017 10:59 AM

Sep 2011
HACHIKUJIIIIIII!!!
So glad she's back. I missed her so much. Her interactions with Rararararagi are as entertaining as always. So sad she went to hell though.

What a great start. Great and fun OP, fantastic BGM and visuals throughout the entire episode. What a great start!
Aug 13, 2017 12:05 PM

Feb 2015
Notalgia XD
i always love how shaft presented the story. save money, interesting presentation.
on to the story, i totally forget what happened before lmao. i only remember a little bit but overall from this story i know what's going on and it pretty much blew my mind away when araragi took Mayoi with him. it was like i got excited too because she will be back again. although i don't really know she really came back to life or she is in her ghost form again but i'm excited xD

Moreover, what gaen is thinking a little bit blew my mind too. she purposely asked someone to die and purposely go to hell lmao in order to help araragi later lmao ? that's absurd. and not only that, the person who died purposely was making so many doll so that he can still make contact to the real world ? damn! although, the fact that the bad one is ougi didn't really surprised me tho. she looks evil from the beginning so i'm not really that surprised if she is really the bad one.

but, i was kinda disappointed a little bit ? because Mayoi was actually in hell. not the fact that mayoi sent into hell but the fact that hell is like that. the hell that i know, it was more brutal, sinister and gruesome, it's just like, you will be torture forever but lol i can only say that that doesn't even look scary ? so it was kinda confused me and disappoint me a little bit because of that. but at the same time i'm glad that the author didnt make hell into something like that in his story because mayoi is in hell. i just don't want to imagine it lol.

AND one more thing. a children who died even tho their parents are still alive will be sent into hell ? i want to argue with the god in that world. that doesn't make any sense to me.

i'm so happy to that each episode is 40min.
finally something i can really lookfoward to this season.
damn i'm so happy xD xD
YizelTroAug 13, 2017 12:11 PM
Aug 13, 2017 1:21 PM

Aug 2013
It was great. Definitely one of my favorite episodes of Monogatari.
Nice to see Hachikuji again.

Mouloxas said:
JackyOhayo said:

It's clean and beautiful, not worse than before, not greatly improved either. Honestly, i'm just glad the artstyle is back to how it was in the previous seasons and not in the Kizu movies, because i found them really jarring to watch.

I'm so glad that they didn't go with Kizu visuals. It was atrocious.
And btw, this is (for me) the best looking Monogatari season since 'Second Season' (for now).
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 13, 2017 2:02 PM

Dec 2014
I really liked this and all but, what concerns me is this.

Now that Koyomi isn' t a vampire anymore, he can't stay with Shinobu till her time runs out right? That makes me sad. :(
Aug 13, 2017 3:35 PM

Jun 2017
Good... Good... Good...
Aug 13, 2017 5:13 PM

Oct 2008
And the LOLI pervert dude monogatari series is back!!!
And lol, Araragi dragged Hachikuji from hell!
nice to see adult Shinobu greatness!
Ougi is the real enemy!
Now I understand why is it scored 9.12 (ranked 7) it because of this 1st episode and that last parts she Gaen said "hangeki" and lots of characters mentioned like a recap!
5/5.

Aug 13, 2017 5:35 PM

Oct 2010
whoa,
got some crazy going on here
Aug 14, 2017 2:01 AM

Aug 2017
flub-dub-cub-hub-stub-grub-sub-bub-rub-club-tub
 Live in life, die in death. Follow your heart, do what you can 
     ─ ─ ─ ─ ─ ────┐

└─────── ─ ─ ─    
Aug 14, 2017 5:56 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode, really loved that scene with Hachikuji and also Shinobu was awesome once again :). Loved that music when she walked to him just to call him fool :D.
Aug 15, 2017 4:39 AM
Dec 2012
I've waited so long for this. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
Aug 15, 2017 1:24 PM

Sep 2015
Oh Araragi, please change. As soon as humanly possible. I seriously thought he'd grown past the feeling up Hachikuji phase for a minute there. But of course not. At any rate solid episode. I think it had some of the best animation we've seen from the series. Other than the Kizu films. The stream of consciousness opening. Araragi and Hachikuji's trip down memory lane. Which was by the way the best recap episode I've ever seen. The episode has stunning animation and creative visuals that will really capture your attention. Shaft's ability to turn these wordy little light novels into absolute head trips of anime is still strong and unparalleled.

I don't think there's a whole lot to say about the plot. Araragi's no longer a vampire which will surely have interesting and surprising consequences. We spend a lot of the second half of the episode with Ononoki's creator from Tsuki-. Which was unexpected but also added a lot to his character I think. As well as slowly unraveling the central plot of this 3rd Season more. And hinting at the long absent Oshino Meme's involvement in the whole mess.

A lot of this episode felt like set up. But it seems to have an intriguing end game here I haven't quite wrapped my head around. And it had a real genuine story where Araragi was forced to reckon with his successes and regrets. And was faced once again with the question he couldn't find the answer to at the very beginning with Kizu. Is his own life worth anything? Also I'm very happy that Hachikuji was revived. Part of it feels like this series just can't seem to stick a cork in anything. And may well continue on indefinitely forever. But I thought she was going to just get ditched in Hell forever. Glad that was not the case. Also her OP was really cute. It feels like it'd been so long since I'd seen a new one from Monogatari.
Aug 15, 2017 6:34 PM

Apr 2015
New theme song is amazing.

I'm glad Mayoi is finally returning, in her way.

Fantastic start of the new arc.

5/5
Aug 16, 2017 2:37 PM

Nov 2011
Shinobu about to strangle Gaen was freaking awesome. Gaen was cool as can be though, that part was dope AF.

Man a lot of remember his past for Araragi too in this episode. I forgot who that dude was until he talked about himself a little bit later.

I guess Ougi wants Araragi gone huh. Hmmmm
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 17, 2017 3:58 AM
Oct 2015
Finally, waited so long for this <3
Heckle was here...
Aug 17, 2017 12:50 PM

Jul 2013
Breathtaking animation, like always. So happy this long running series is still going strong.
Aug 18, 2017 12:35 PM

May 2015
SubscriberSun said:
Oh Araragi, please change. As soon as humanly possible. I seriously thought he'd grown past the feeling up Hachikuji phase for a minute there. But of course not. At any rate solid episode. I think it had some of the best animation we've seen from the series. Other than the Kizu films. The stream of consciousness opening. Araragi and Hachikuji's trip down memory lane. Which was by the way the best recap episode I've ever seen. The episode has stunning animation and creative visuals that will really capture your attention. Shaft's ability to turn these wordy little light novels into absolute head trips of anime is still strong and unparalleled.

I don't think there's a whole lot to say about the plot. Araragi's no longer a vampire which will surely have interesting and surprising consequences. We spend a lot of the second half of the episode with Ononoki's creator from Tsuki-. Which was unexpected but also added a lot to his character I think. As well as slowly unraveling the central plot of this 3rd Season more. And hinting at the long absent Oshino Meme's involvement in the whole mess.

A lot of this episode felt like set up. But it seems to have an intriguing end game here I haven't quite wrapped my head around. And it had a real genuine story where Araragi was forced to reckon with his successes and regrets. And was faced once again with the question he couldn't find the answer to at the very beginning with Kizu. Is his own life worth anything? Also I'm very happy that Hachikuji was revived. Part of it feels like this series just can't seem to stick a cork in anything. And may well continue on indefinitely forever. But I thought she was going to just get ditched in Hell forever. Glad that was not the case. Also her OP was really cute. It feels like it'd been so long since I'd seen a new one from Monogatari.

You took those parts seriously?

Aug 19, 2017 8:41 PM

May 2015
"Oh the burden of dealing with expectations and me having to meet them...........HACHIKUJI!!!!!"

God damnit Araragi! LMAO! I didn't expect him to do it again...but he did it again! Hahaha!

So Hachikuji went all they way to the bottommost depth of hell just to pick him up? What kind of hell is this?
TarotistNov 15, 2018 12:56 AM
Aug 21, 2017 8:22 AM

May 2013
moodie said:
JackyOhayo said:
I personally thought it was better than owari1 but its not as clean as tsuki or hana

Now that I've watched the show I agree with you. It can't compete with Tsuki in cleanness, but was a lot more engaging than Owari S1, especially Shinobu Mail. I felt that it was more in Hana style with some water imagery, Hajime Ueda parts and overall tension or maturity, I don't know how to explain it. Also latter scenes in the car and talk about Rainy Devil accompanied with images from Hana definitely helped to support this feeling.
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.
Aug 22, 2017 7:46 PM

May 2010
Awww, Mayoi-chwaaaan, I missed you so muuuuch! >w< Her comedic routine with Ara-lucky-san was on point as always, I forgot how perfect they were together!

Visuals and music were stunning, one of the themes was so creepy I was getting chills all over, brr. Worked out perfectly. Opening was cute, although not as catchy as Kaerimichi or Happy Bite... But who knows, maybe it'll grow on me in the future.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

239 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

34 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

100 by Epiccgaymer »»
Apr 19, 12:08 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 13, 2017

35 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 6:48 PM

Poll: » Owarimonogatari 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2017

47 by RioFS »»
Apr 9, 5:33 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.