Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 14, 2017 6:13 PM

Mar 2016
As the title says, I'm curious what series you guys have watched has the most plot holes?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 14, 2017 6:54 PM

Feb 2015
Typically the LN/VN adaptations I would probably say. Or at least in which most users rant about.
Mar 14, 2017 6:57 PM

Jul 2014
Obligatory SAO plot armor for kirito-kun.
Mar 14, 2017 6:57 PM

Nov 2012
Numerically speaking probably a long running shounen with a bad reputation like Bleach, Naruto Shippuden or Fairy Tail.
Mar 14, 2017 6:58 PM

May 2015
I haven't read the Manga, but when it comes to Anime, I'm going to say Tokyo Ghoul Root A because WTF?
Mar 14, 2017 7:02 PM

Apr 2014
Cross Ange had bulletproof frying pans. That's something.
But shit like that made the show a lot more enjoyable for me.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Mar 14, 2017 7:03 PM

Oct 2015
the generic aswer
-sao
-mirai nikki

the triggering answer
-fairy tail
-code geass
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 14, 2017 7:39 PM

Jul 2013
SuperRed said:
Numerically speaking probably a long running shounen with a bad reputation like Bleach, Naruto Shippuden or Fairy Tail.

Ignoring the manga, I can't really remember a plot hole in Bleach. There are just some minor retcons but it doesn't really affect the plot greatly.
Mar 14, 2017 7:42 PM
Jul 2018
Either Neon genesis Evangellion or Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mar 14, 2017 7:50 PM

Oct 2013
pretty sure everyone is just going to say a show to trigger people or something they don't like
so here is mine for the second one
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Mahou_Shoujo_Madoka_Magica
Mar 14, 2017 7:56 PM

Feb 2016
Gintama has the most plotholes of any shitty show

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Mar 14, 2017 7:58 PM

Apr 2016
For honest answers of what I've seen (edited):
1st Place: The Asterisk War
2nd Place: Hand Shakers
3rd Place: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
4th Place: Gundam 00 Second Season
5th Place: Psycho-Pass 2

Honorable mentions: Fate/Grand Order: First Order, Big Order (dropped it so I couldn't see the true glory), Gundam SEED Destiny, Re:Zero, Phantasy Star Online 2 The Abimation.
CodeBlazeFateMar 14, 2017 8:32 PM
Mar 14, 2017 8:08 PM
Jan 2015
Pokémon has quite a bit... and a lot of them are intentional.
Mar 14, 2017 8:15 PM

Mar 2015
remember mars of destruction? pepperidge farm remembers
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 14, 2017 8:16 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:
For honest answers of what I've seen:
1st Place: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
2nd Place: The Asterisk War
3rd Place: Hand Shakers

Honorable mentions: Fate/Grand Order: First Order, Big Order (dropped it so I couldn't see the true glory), Gundam SEED Destiny, Re:Zero, Phantasy Star Online 2 The Abimation.
What plot holes from Mahouka? Its a flawed adaption, but I don't recall plot holes being an issue really.
My Queens

Mar 14, 2017 8:18 PM
Oct 2012
RottedRabbit said:
As the title says, I'm curious what series you guys have watched has the most plot holes?

Ah, you assume that most people know what a "plot hole" is, it is often a replacement for "I don't get it."

CodeBlazeFate is an example:

"Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei" has no plot holes. Yes Tetsuya is OP beyond belief, but this is not a plot hole. Tetsuya is Shiva, to be able to destroy all, heal all, is not a plot hole, it is an essential part of the plot.
Mar 14, 2017 8:20 PM

Feb 2013
The Embryo Develops into a Fetus is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. So are actual examples of plot holes.
Mar 14, 2017 8:20 PM
May 2016
Guilty crown, maybe No.6, mayoiga, or Fairy Tale,
Mar 14, 2017 8:22 PM

May 2016
Eden of the East, though much more so the films rather than the series in my view
Mar 14, 2017 8:22 PM
May 2016
Oxalias said:
Scarlett_ryuken said:
the generic aswer
-sao
-mirai nikki

the triggering answer
-fairy tail
-code geass

I understand fair tale and sao but I don't remember code geass's plot holes, or mirai nikki? Just point out the big ones

I just finished Code Geass and the last few episodes did have a few major plotholes involving certain characters somehow being alive despite getting nuked.
Mar 14, 2017 8:26 PM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
For honest answers of what I've seen:
1st Place: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
2nd Place: The Asterisk War
3rd Place: Hand Shakers

What plot holes from Mahouka? Its a flawed adaption, but I don't recall plot holes being an issue really.
The adaptation has a bunch.

•Tatsuya building the power of flight in the span of an afternoon. It's one of the biggest examples of Mary Sue Plot Convenience I've ever seen.
•If Tatsuya's emotions are permanently sealed tightly, how come he displayed blatant anger twice?
•How does he still repair a sniper shot through the heart. If that is something that's meant to insta-kill him, should he be able to recover from that? Then again, that whole power is more Mary Sue BS because he isn't the intimate Mary Sue already.
•He's inept at magic, right? Then how come he used CADs flawlessly when they require magic?
Honestly, I've forgotten a lot of them due to there being a distressing amount. Other ones that are not plot holes are mainly just deus ex machinas, leaving plot points in the air, or other signs of incompetent writing, which the adaptation is full of.
Mar 14, 2017 8:29 PM

Apr 2016
Takuan_Soho said:
RottedRabbit said:

Ah, you assume that most people know what a "plot hole" is, it is often a replacement for "I don't get it."

CodeBlazeFate is an example:

"Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei" has no plot holes. Yes Tetsuya is OP beyond belief, but this is not a plot hole. Tetsuya is Shiva, to be able to destroy all, heal all, is not a plot hole, it is an essential part of the plot.
There are plenty of plotholes. Being a Mary Sue is not one of them, by it does allow for plotholes to be surrounded by Mary Sue powers. Plus, even excluding plot holes, the amount of horribly rushed and poorly explained Mary Sue moments is unforgivable, a decent amount of plot points are left in the air for no good reason, and there are more things that I have forgotten about and cannot truly touch upon as well as I could've when watching the show. Also, see my latest post on the thread for more plot hole examples.
Mar 14, 2017 8:29 PM

Nov 2016
Kakumeiki Valvrave season 2 so many at the end
Mar 14, 2017 9:03 PM
Jan 2015
CodeBlazeFate said:

•Tatsuya building the power of flight in the span of an afternoon. It's one of the biggest examples of Mary Sue Plot Convenience I've ever seen.
Its said that has been something he's been working on for years. The timing was convenient, but it wasn't something done in one night.
•If Tatsuya's emotions are permanently sealed tightly, how come he displayed blatant anger twice?
His strong emotions were erased, not sealed. The only strong emotions he has left are his emotions towards his sister, which if her well-being is involved, he can seriously get angry and its not like he can't get upset if something happens to his friends as well.
•How does he still repair a sniper shot through the heart. If that is something that's meant to insta-kill him, should he be able to recover from that? Then again, that whole power is more Mary Sue BS because he isn't the intimate Mary Sue already.
Before that happened, he fixed himself using that ability twice(the battle against Masaki and his sisters surprise attack in the first few episodes). Plus Miyuki explained that ability towards the end of the series after Tatsuya saved two of their friends from their injuries. The ability is called Regrowth and it takes a copy of a persons or objects information from up to 24 hours into the past and uses it to replace the current informational state of said person or object and this happens instantaneously, so basically he can heal just about any injury in an instant.
•He's inept at magic, right? Then how come he used CADs flawlessly when they require magic?
He acquires high level CADs that are finely adjusted, in order get the most out of his magic abilities. If you remember during the 2nd arc, Masaki and George were commenting that his spells weren't very strong aside from his Gram Demolition and that's due to the competition's CADs, which aren't exactly top tier CADs, which his Military compatriots also make note, while watching his matches. He's considered inept, because his technical skills are low, which means he struggles with preforming complex spells that uses multitude of processes. He mentions early on in the anime to Mizuki, that his calculation limit is 5 processes, which is good for most simple combat magic.

Honestly, I've forgotten a lot of them due to there being a distressing amount. Other ones that are not plot holes are mainly just deus ex machinas, leaving plot points in the air, or other signs of incompetent writing, which the adaptation is full of.
Keep it going, this is fun actually.
-MahesvaraMar 14, 2017 9:14 PM
My Queens

Mar 14, 2017 9:06 PM

Jan 2008
What? No mentions of Guity Crown? Pretty sure that beats most of what's been mentioned.
Mar 14, 2017 9:14 PM

Oct 2015
Paul said:
What? No mentions of Guity Crown? Pretty sure that beats most of what's been mentioned.

i was gonna mention that but then i figured wouldnt trigger enouh people
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Mar 14, 2017 9:16 PM

Jun 2015
In terms of number of plot holes, some long runners like Naruto, Gintama or something.

If you take number of plotholes by length of show, Noucome, Haiyore Nyarko or Kore wa Zombie takes the cake, seeing that the excessive plotholes are part of their package.

As for serious shows with tons of plotholes, Code Geass, Higashi or Guilty Crown.
Mar 15, 2017 2:49 AM

Oct 2014
Scarlett_ryuken said:
the generic aswer
-sao
-mirai nikki

the triggering answer
-fairy tail
-code geass

correct answer
-Sao
-mirai nikki

Another correct answer
-fairy tail
-code geass
Mar 15, 2017 3:00 AM

Jan 2016
Macross Delta especially the second half.
Mar 15, 2017 3:02 AM
Jul 2018
Divergence Eve, Psycho Pass Series, Mirai Nikki, Naruto.
Mar 15, 2017 3:06 AM

May 2015
You could've at least asked for examples and put forward some of your own (I'm guessing you started the thread because you know at least one). This is just a boring listing thread. What do you get from it if I say "Naruto" or "Guilty Crown"?
Mar 15, 2017 3:12 AM

Mar 2016
SuperRed said:

Naruto and Bleach don't have that much literal plotholes, but there are numerous inconsistencies. And the fillers don't help of course.

I don't know about Fairy Tail tho

Mar 15, 2017 3:12 AM

Nov 2016
Deknijff said:
pretty sure everyone is just going to say a show to trigger people or something they don't like
so here is mine for the second one
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9756/Mahou_Shoujo_Madoka_Magica

What plot holes are there in Madoka Magica? I've watched it twice but haven't picked up on any glaring obvious ones.
Mar 15, 2017 3:45 AM

Apr 2016
-Mahesvara said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Its said that has been something he's been working on for years. The timing was convenient, but it wasn't something done in one night.
His strong emotions were erased, not sealed. The only strong emotions he has left are his emotions towards his sister, which if her well-being is involved, he can seriously get angry and its not like he can't get upset if something happens to his friends as well.
Before that happened, he fixed himself using that ability twice(the battle against Masaki and his sisters surprise attack in the first few episodes). Plus Miyuki explained that ability towards the end of the series after Tatsuya saved two of their friends from their injuries. The ability is called Regrowth and it takes a copy of a persons or objects information from up to 24 hours into the past and uses it to replace the current informational state of said person or object and this happens instantaneously, so basically he can heal just about any injury in an instant.
He acquires high level CADs that are finely adjusted, in order get the most out of his magic abilities. If you remember during the 2nd arc, Masaki and George were commenting that his spells weren't very strong aside from his Gram Demolition and that's due to the competition's CADs, which aren't exactly top tier CADs, which his Military compatriots also make note, while watching his matches. He's considered inept, because his technical skills are low, which means he struggles with preforming complex spells that uses multitude of processes. He mentions early on in the anime to Mizuki, that his calculation limit is 5 processes, which is good for most simple combat magic.

Keep it going, this is fun actually.
When did he say he was working on flight for years, again? I never Neco netted thet dialogue.

Love is not just some emotion like anger or happiness. It's much more complicated and different than that, and it produces other emotions like happiness, but is not an emotion in and of itself. Besides, if all of his strong emotions are erased, the how come he can still feel immense anger? At least, going based off the anime alone?

So, two vintage and rarely used CADs thet he got in episode 3 are some of the finest around? Finer than possibly a lot of what everyone else has?

I guess thet explains it. Maybe it falls under Mary Sue moment rather than plothole moment, but it's had writing nonetheless, not just because Mary Sue moment, but also since it took him less than 2 seconds to do all of that with a sniper wound to the heart and it took him longer to recover from an attack from Miyuki in episode 4 (if I'm remembering the number correctly).
Mar 15, 2017 3:48 AM

Apr 2016
Tarotist said:
I haven't read the Manga, but when it comes to Anime, I'm going to say Tokyo Ghoul Root A because WTF?
Yeah, I totally agree with you. You should read the manga, it explains everything and is so much better than the anime.

Mar 15, 2017 3:56 AM
Aug 2016
BlazeSoulReaperX said:
Kakumeiki Valvrave season 2 so many at the end

Worst show ever

And Angel Beats have a plot hole tooooo!!!
Mar 15, 2017 3:57 AM
Mar 2017
Shows like sao and mirai niki have plenty but that the least of their problems.
I would go with either code geass,fairy fail or fate series.
Mar 15, 2017 4:04 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Aoharu x Kikanjuu comes to mind... >.>
Mar 15, 2017 4:46 AM

Feb 2010
I'm not one of those viewers who watch anime with the sole purpose of cataloguing every flaw, listing every 'plothole' I see. Those people are toxic, as is this thread for encouraging those people :/.
I probably regret this post by now.
Mar 15, 2017 4:53 AM

Feb 2016
Pullman said:
I'm not one of those viewers who watch anime with the sole purpose of cataloguing every flaw, listing every 'plothole' I see. Those people are toxic, as is this thread for encouraging those people :/.

Im also not one of those people but I think people dismissing that plotholes in their favoritew shows exist are even worse as they are hurting the industry by accepting lower quality scripts. I dont care much whether someone shits on my show or not but I do care about not lowering standards.

edit: My post kinda sounds like I forbid people buying their favorite series if they have easily recognizable flaws which is pretty dumb. Well, who cares, id rather be toxic and honest, at least on the internet :D Digibro is a dick so I might as well, I guess thats trendy.
SpaghettiSpikeMar 15, 2017 5:10 AM

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

Mar 15, 2017 5:04 AM
Jan 2016
OppaiSugoi said:

Obligatorily I would like to ask you to elaborate.

CodeBlazeFate said:
When did he say he was working on flight for years, again? I never Neco netted thet dialogue.

Love is not just some emotion like anger or happiness. It's much more complicated and different than that, and it produces other emotions like happiness, but is not an emotion in and of itself. Besides, if all of his strong emotions are erased, the how come he can still feel immense anger? At least, going based off the anime alone?

So, two vintage and rarely used CADs thet he got in episode 3 are some of the finest around? Finer than possibly a lot of what everyone else has?

I guess thet explains it. Maybe it falls under Mary Sue moment rather than plothole moment, but it's had writing nonetheless, not just because Mary Sue moment, but also since it took him less than 2 seconds to do all of that with a sniper wound to the heart and it took him longer to recover from an attack from Miyuki in episode 4 (if I'm remembering the number correctly).

Flight magic was something researched in general in that universe for a long time. All that Tatsuya really did was resolve a "small" issue and that allowed preexisting methods to actually work. He didn't invent the whole magic from scratch. Also, there already was flight magic, but it used ancient magic as opposed to modern magic.

Tatsuya has almost all strong emotions sealed, yes, but he can still exhibit them if they're connected to Miyuki. It's explained as his "feelings as an older brother" at work. So he has a strong familiar love for her, and if you endanger her, he will get pissed. Basically, as long as something doesn't concern Miyuki in any way, he won't care much. But the moment you pose even a slightest bit of danger to his sister or even her convenience, all bets are off.

When it comes to Tatsuya's magic, it's not that he can't do it. He can, but he is slow doing it in the conventional way. It's not explained very well in the anime, but it's basically something like he's slow at regular magic, which works by applying complicated calculations to cause phenomenons. Tatsuya instead uses pure force of psions(something like mana) of which he has a lot to cause intended effects. It is often compared to a brute force approach in the novels. Also, there are BS magicians (born specialized) who are good at one type of magic, but bad at others and who posses special abilities at the cost of other, more regular ones. Tatsuya is such a magician.

And when it comes to his recovery. When he was shot by the sniper, he had to recover quickly to dispatch him. When Miyuki incapacitated him, he could take his time and do it at his leisure. Makes perfect sense to me.
AskortiMar 15, 2017 5:09 AM
Mar 15, 2017 5:33 AM

Feb 2010
HamburgerSpike said:
Pullman said:

Im also not one of those people but I think people dismissing that plotholes in their favoritew shows exist are even worse as they are hurting the industry by accepting lower quality scripts. I dont care much whether someone shits on my show or not but I do care about not lowering standards.

Plotholes are usually very subjective and so is any criticism based on them. And 9 out of 10 times it's just people being obnoxious or missing obvious parts because they didn't pay attention (*cough* Tex *cough*). I don't think it's a very helpful term for actual criticism.

It tends to be all circumstantial evidence/reasoning that people use when they want to support their opinions no matter what. I can watch any random episode and point out 20 'plotholes' in them. How am I supposed to take the term serious as criticism given that if you just want it enough you can apply it to literally anything with some mental gymnastics? You can also dismiss the vast majority of plotholes with the simple assumption that things are happening off-screen too. Which they do all the time and noone questions it. Unless they are on a mission to discover plotholes. Then suddenly only what is shown on screen exist. Unsurprisingly that opens the door to 'finding' a lot of plotholes. But it's still mostly very shoddy criticism.

People use it disregarding the context all the time too, like you can hold every type of show to the same 'plothole' standard. You may call it dismissing, but the majority of the times I really think the 'plotholes' people make up are just completely irrelevant. One the one hand if you're nitpicky enough you can find 20 plotholes in every episode like I mentioned, and on the other hand half the time people criticize shows where focusing on 'plotholes' is just blatantly missing the point. Episodic shows where each episode wants to be seen in a vacuum and not under the forced perspective of continuity. Abstract, symbolic shows who mainly care about conveying a meaning, feeling or atmosphere and don't limit themselves to the standards of a traditional narrative. Mystery shows where it is to be expected that things don't make sense from the start because we're missing a lot of the information necessary to make judgments.

I just legitimately barely ever encounter 'plotholes' people point out that aren't either a) just not a thing if you're not set out to see it like that from the start. By paying more attention or applying some common sense they can easily be dismissed but people still insist on that interpretation because it fits their agends of bashing the show. or b) not even relevant, having zero effect on how I perceive the show. I seriously don't care about all these nitpicky plotholes that some people are constantly on the lookout for. You can find plotholes in real life if you really want to. Does that make it any relevant criticism of how realistic real life is?

Idk, in my time on MAL I've come to associate the term not with legitimate criticism, but people having toxic agendas and happily using plotholes to bash whatever they want because if you're determined and/or stupid enough plotholes can be interpreted into literally anything. You can talk about problematic scenes without resorting to that buzzword and I always do that. I personally have a hard time taking people seriously when they love the term plothole and think it is not extremely subjective and use it like a fact, always with that air of arrogant superiority, oozing sentences like

"Look what I found, you sheeple. A fucking plothole. You're all so stupid for not discovering this extremely important plothole that there is this one frame where the water bottle of the MC is on the left side of the table and next frame it's on the right side. Like seriously, do you guys have no standards? Am I the only one who cares anymore? This is why modern anime is so trashy because you people just don't care about good storytelling anymore. Let me rewatch the episode so maybe I can point out even more plotholes in my efforts to enlighten the masses. Frame. By. Frame."

Well, at least that's the image I have, in an exaggerated way. But sadly I don't think it's that much removed from reality. 90% of the time it's people like that using the term at every opportunity with extremely constructed or circumstantial evidence. I rarely sense honest criticism, but just people making use of an easy way to pretend offering objective criticism, when they really don't.

Basically if you can't convince me that a criticism is founded in facts and relevant for that specific show without trying to let the term 'plothole' do the work for you (because of how objective it sounds. Noone can actually argue with 'plotholes' being an objective flaw, can they?), the criticism is usually not worth taking seriously. But most people that are worth listening to don't need that term anyway. I'll accept that I occasionally dismiss legitimate criticism by ignoring anyone who seriously talks about plotholes but that's the cost of ignoring the 95% of utterly trite buzzword spamming that is associated with that term. I'm happy to pay that cost.

And regarding this thread specifically, I just don't see how it indicates anything but the toxic mindset I mentioned. There isn't even any criticsm about any show, it's literally about who can create the longest list of 'plotholes' wins. The quantity is the only thing that matters. That's exactly the kind of attitude I've come to associate with the buzzword. The quality and relevance of the criticism doesn't matter because plotholes are inherently bad so just listing as many as possible is all that matters since it automatically discredits any anime.
Mar 15, 2017 5:35 AM

Apr 2016
Askorti said:
OppaiSugoi said:

Obligatorily I would like to ask you to elaborate.

CodeBlazeFate said:

Flight magic was something researched in general in that universe for a long time. All that Tatsuya really did was resolve a "small" issue and that allowed preexisting methods to actually work. He didn't invent the whole magic from scratch. Also, there already was flight magic, but it used ancient magic as opposed to modern magic.

Tatsuya has almost all strong emotions sealed, yes, but he can still exhibit them if they're connected to Miyuki. It's explained as his "feelings as an older brother" at work. So he has a strong familiar love for her, and if you endanger her, he will get pissed. Basically, as long as something doesn't concern Miyuki in any way, he won't care much. But the moment you pose even a slightest bit of danger to his sister or even her convenience, all bets are off.

When it comes to Tatsuya's magic, it's not that he can't do it. He can, but he is slow doing it in the conventional way. It's not explained very well in the anime, but it's basically something like he's slow at regular magic, which works by applying complicated calculations to cause phenomenons. Tatsuya instead uses pure force of psions(something like mana) of which he has a lot to cause intended effects. It is often compared to a brute force approach in the novels. Also, there are BS magicians (born specialized) who are good at one type of magic, but bad at others and who posses special abilities at the cost of other, more regular ones. Tatsuya is such a magician.

And when it comes to his recovery. When he was shot by the sniper, he had to recover quickly to dispatch him. When Miyuki incapacitated him, he could take his time and do it at his leisure. Makes perfect sense to me.
There wasn't flight magic before, st least not successful ones. Besides, given that he only decided to study it and fix it for that one day, it means that he checked over all of the nuances and then fixed everything in the span of a few hours. That simply can't work, at least interesting way of a good protagonist. It should take a long while for anyone to get.

Too bad they never framed it that way. They merely said "only thing left is love for Miyuki" but he clearly displays anger. In that same episode, Miyuki was jnno danher and he was frequently insulted. Sure, Miyuki wasn't happy, by it seemed as if he got angry at the fact that he insulted him in her face when she didn't wanttirsther than any older protective brother love. Even still, love isn't an emotion, which shuts down their logic. If they said "the only time he can unleash emotions is if they're directly related to Miyuki's well being" then that would be different, since it's how that would be logical and how people choose to view it, but the series doesn't.

I guess you make a good case here.

Urgency matters not in this situation since...both are extremely urgent as he was heavily wounded. The time should at least be consistent. Hell, the time it took him to be healed in episode 18 is somewhere in between the two, but urgency of the situation doesn't explain it sense all 3 situations were urgent to his well being.
Mar 15, 2017 5:44 AM

Nov 2009
Prince said:

The school in Hidan no Aria routinely bulletproofs everything. This might seem like a waste of money, until the heroine takes cover in a bulletproof vaulting horse and fights off evil segways armed with SMGs.
Also, frying pans are quite tough naturally.

CodeBlazeFate said:
-Mahesvara said:

* I think Tatsuya was shown finally making a breakthough in flight before the competition. That's plot convenience, not a plot hole.
* Whoever sealed away Tatsuya's emotions (I think it was his aunt), they deliberately left his emotions for his little sister, so that he can be controlled.
* Tatsuya is good at magic, in all ways that are not measured by standard tests. He has a huge psion count (which used to be a big deal before CADs gave everybody as many psions as they need), has a powerful unusual magic, is experienced in warfare, and is really good in magical theory and technology.

CodeBlazeFate said:

The pistol-type CADs Tatsuya uses are not vintage. They are brand-name. Made by a famous, enigmatic and expensive maker that is himself. Because he is really good in magical theory and technology.
He does not do anything particularly impressive with the two old bracelet-type CADs he got as a part of morals committee.
The rifle-type CAD he uses in the finale is a specialized top-secret military weapon. Which he probably designed himself too.

CodeBlazeFate said:
Too bad they never framed it that way. They merely said "only thing left is love for Miyuki" but he clearly displays anger. In that same episode, Miyuki was jnno danher and he was frequently insulted. Sure, Miyuki wasn't happy, by it seemed as if he got angry at the fact that he insulted him in her face when she didn't wanttirsther than any older protective brother love. Even still, love isn't an emotion, which shuts down their logic. If they said "the only time he can unleash emotions is if they're directly related to Miyuki's well being" then that would be different, since it's how that would be logical and how people choose to view it, but the series doesn't.

At some point (I do not remember if it was anime or the novel) it was explained that Tatsuya does have emotions, but they are all very low-key. Like, he can be mildly annoyed, but cannot lash out in anger.
(Except for Miyuki-related emotions, which are strong enough to cause cold anger and allow him to disintegrate people)
flannanMar 15, 2017 5:49 AM
Mar 15, 2017 5:53 AM
Jan 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
There wasn't flight magic before, st least not successful ones. Besides, given that he only decided to study it and fix it for that one day, it means that he checked over all of the nuances and then fixed everything in the span of a few hours. That simply can't work, at least interesting way of a good protagonist. It should take a long while for anyone to get.

I guess you make a good case here.

Urgency matters not in this situation since...both are extremely urgent as he was heavily wounded. The time should at least be consistent. Hell, the time it took him to be healed in episode 18 is somewhere in between the two, but urgency of the situation doesn't explain it sense all 3 situations were urgent to his well being.

As I said, there WAS flight-type magic before, but it was part of ancient magic, which works differently to modern magic and isn't practiced much anymore. And he did work on gravity control magic as part of his research into magic application in a thermonuclear fusion reactor. That was one of his goals for years. One of the reasons for him going to First High was the library, where he could read about it and further his research. And as I also said, he only did one thing, resolved the one issue that stopped flying-type magic from coming true, the fact that the magic sequences had to be created continuously.

If you feel like reading some technobabble, here you have it explained:

When it comes to the emotions, I guess it's nothing more than a difference in our understanding on what constitutes feelings. We simply interpret what "feelings" and 'emotions" are differently. To me it makes perfect sense, to you it doesn't. I'm afraid it's impossible to help it, as different people see and experience the world differently.

When it comes to the speed of his recovery. Now that I think about it, it might just be an issue in how it's visually portrayed in the anime. One of the military guys with which Tatsuya works actually comments that it's practically instantaneous.
Here you have a quote on that:
Self-Restoration is Tatsuya's unique ability to restore his own body to its original state when an abnormality/injury occurs. His personal Restoration ability automatically completes the repair processes in the blink of an eye, although he can deliberately suppress the activation. It has been said that, "the speed of his Self-Restoration ability has long since surpassed the realms of human cognition speeds," and not even Kudou Retsu was able to notice it.
Mar 15, 2017 5:57 AM

Apr 2016
flannan said:
Prince said:

The school in Hidan no Aria routinely bulletproofs everything. This might seem like a waste of money, until the heroine takes cover in a bulletproof vaulting horse and fights off evil segways armed with SMGs.
Also, frying pans are quite tough naturally.

CodeBlazeFate said:

* I think Tatsuya was shown finally making a breakthough in flight before the competition. That's plot convenience, not a plot hole.
* Whoever sealed away Tatsuya's emotions (I think it was his aunt), they deliberately left his emotions for his little sister, so that he can be controlled.
* Tatsuya is good at magic, in all ways that are not measured by standard tests. He has a huge psion count (which used to be a big deal before CADs gave everybody as many psions as they need), has a powerful unusual magic, is experienced in warfare, and is really good in magical theory and technology.

CodeBlazeFate said:

The pistol-type CADs Tatsuya uses are not vintage. They are brand-name. Made by a famous, enigmatic and expensive maker that is himself. Because he is really good in magical theory and technology.
He does not do anything particularly impressive with the two old bracelet-type CADs he got as a part of morals committee.
The rifle-type CAD he uses in the finale is a specialized top-secret military weapon. Which he probably designed himself too.

CodeBlazeFate said:

At some point (I do not remember if it was anime or the novel) it was explained that Tatsuya does have emotions, but they are all very low-key. Like, he can be mildly annoyed, but cannot lash out in anger.
(Except for Miyuki-related emotions, which are strong enough to cause cold anger and allow him to disintegrate people)
I guess that would be a better classification for it.

That's both obvious and incapable of debunking my point.

I already know that he designed like...everything. I guess you can argue that he programmed them to be easier for him to use? Even then, we never see that happen with other people that are limited in magical prowess.

I guess that was explored in the LN because it sure as hell had no remote prominence in the anime.
Mar 15, 2017 6:05 AM

Feb 2016
@Pullman Well, yea I agree this term is too vague or used in a way too broad sense. I thought more of subsections of it and/or the straight out of the book definition. I almost never use it seriously, only to criticize a show in the shortest way possible and/or trigger some fanboys taking everything personally.
I edited my post btw

lol @ the guys discussing whether Mahouka contains something or it doesnt, just let it die already, although it could be me some other day.

Mar 15, 2017 6:09 AM

Feb 2010
HamburgerSpike said:
@Pullman Well, yea I agree this term is too vague or used in a way too broad sense. I thought more of subsections of it and/or the straight out of the book definition. I almost never use it seriously, only to criticize a show in the shortest way possible and/or trigger some fanboys taking everything personally.
I edited my post btw

lol @ the guys discussing whether Mahouka contains something or it doesnt, just let it die already, although it could be me some other day.

they are just proving my point that you can see most if not all plot holes from two different perspectives :>.
It's never as 'obvious' as the people who label something as a plothole think it is.

And yeah technically the term isn't bad, I'm just a practically oriented guy and if I see something constantly used in a certain way I'll judge it based on how it's used, not on what it initially meant or would mean in a different, less MAL context.
Mar 15, 2017 6:09 AM

Apr 2016
HamburgerSpike said:
I edited my post btw

Yeah, it's during me out, too. I shouldn't even be wasting my time takinbabout such a crap show that doesn't even remotely try to entertain. Got bigger, fuglier fish to fry (Hand Shakers).
Mar 15, 2017 6:14 AM

Feb 2010
CodeBlazeFate said:
HamburgerSpike said:
I edited my post btw

Yeah, it's during me out, too. I shouldn't even be wasting my time takinbabout such a crap show that doesn't even remotely try to entertain. Got bigger, fuglier fish to fry (Hand Shakers).

You like going for the low-hanging fruit, don't you? :>

Also Everything that was so bad/gets criticized about Mahouka was also what made it fun for me. It was so clichéd it came out the other end and ended up being a fun watch, even tho I can't take it seriously. But entertain it did for sure, whether you see it or not. I certainly had fun with the show. I'm never gonna defend it against criticism but I'm not gonna pretend I wasn't entertained by all the shenanigans either ^^.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

14 by animejas »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

35 by Nirinbo »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - 2 hours ago

17 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates. ( 1 2 )

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

73 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 14 minutes ago

2 by tchitchouan »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.