Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2009 3:50 PM
Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
one of the best episodes I 've ever seen in an anime.
poor Brandon
Sep 8, 2009 2:10 PM

Aug 2009
The betrayal is beginning. Now Millenion is picking a turn.

Now Harry is becoming a son of a bitch.
Apr 13, 2010 2:14 AM

Apr 2009
ouch! brandon is dead...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2010 9:01 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode. I'm starting to see why this series is so highly rated now.
Nov 30, 2010 4:15 PM

Aug 2009
What are doing Brandon? What are you doing...

Harry. I hate that guy.
Randy will be missed.
Dec 11, 2010 11:50 AM

Aug 2009
Here comes.. Harry MacDowel !
Sep 25, 2011 4:48 PM

Jun 2007
Brandon giving away the only woman he ever loved to a wrinkled old CRIME BOSS over double her age, simply because he kills people for a living, is one of the dumbest moves by any character, in any medium. Ever. Maria loved Brandon enough to not date or even think about anyone else for all those years, and she even went out of her way to see him again, after three years of being ignored... yet he still gave her the cold shoulder. All he ever did was make her unhappy in some sort of daft attempt at sacrificing his own feelings in order to make her happy. Logic, where? The best part of it all is that all he managed to accomplish by giving everything to Big Daddy was hurting everyone he cared for.

And sending dresses to a girl you're ignoring is a great way to confuse the hell out of them. Not smart.

Had there been a love triangle involving Brandon, Maria and Harry, I MIGHT have understood Brandon backing away so the best friend he supported could be with the girl he loved. But having her be impregnated by an old man she had referred to as her uncle for the duration of her stay at Big Daddy's mansion was just... Ugh. I'd prefer a cliched doomed true love story if it meant avoiding old men women don't love getting comfort sex/love after the women get rejected by the men they love.

This has always been my #1 issue with Gungrave. The gangster backstory was as good as it could've been, considering it was inserted into an adaptation of an undead shoot 'em up, but it just didn't make sense for Brandon not to get it on with his beloved. Had he died leaving behind a pregnant lover, and his child come looking for him 13 years after his death, it would've been a hell of a lot more dramatic/powerful.
Oct 11, 2011 10:34 PM

May 2009
Whyyyy Brandon.... WTF Maria.... OMG.....
Jul 11, 2012 9:19 AM

Aug 2010
Brandon... I don't get what's wrong with him.
Jan 7, 2013 3:57 PM

May 2008
Brandon, you dumbass. If the only reason he wouldn't be with Maria was because he was a hitman then that's just stupid. As if Big Daddy never killed a person. He might believe that he'll put her in danger if they were together but she's in more danger by being with Big Daddy, him being the top boss and the most wanted target out of the whole family. Brandon could'v protected her better than anyone else out there. They really screwed up the drama part of this anime. This'll leave a nasty stain on a otherwise marvelous mafia anime.

Jan 8, 2013 7:11 PM

Nov 2011
Brandon is an idiot this episode especially when he withdraws himself from Maria. On the other hand, Harry takes his beloved by the hand and mouth.

Yup, it's definitely his mistake this time if Maria forgets him in the future. And betrayal...I sense one coming soon.
Feb 1, 2013 6:05 AM

Jan 2012
Damn Harry, I can't believe Brandon is stupid enough to believe him.

Jun 13, 2013 10:41 PM

May 2012
Baka Brandon, baka! Why did you have to turn down, Maria. Tsk tsk.. And I was surprised that Big daddy like Maria. I thought she is just like a daughter to him. And I really hate Harry now.
Dec 22, 2013 8:09 AM

May 2012
Pretty decent episode.

Tzuno said:
one of the best episodes I've ever seen in an anime.
poor Brandon

You didn't see a lot of anime then, this episode was below average from being good.
Sep 26, 2014 7:27 PM

Jun 2014
shit!!!! that NTR vibes X(
Apr 11, 2015 8:32 AM

Jan 2014
Lol at the guy who tried to protect himself from bullets with a calculator. That is all.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Apr 23, 2015 2:44 PM

Aug 2013
Man Harry is ruthless, and I get where Brandon was coming from with decision his but I still didn't like it, oh well from the looks of things crazy shits about to go down.
Oct 7, 2015 12:19 PM

Jul 2009
So Harry made sure to take Randy out of his way and made it seems like he was the one stealing from the family, when it was Harry who is doing so.

Poor Maria, she loves Brandon but he acts stupid about love, I believe she would accept him, but he didn't even try to be with her...

Maria and Big Daddy, that's a thing hard to accept, he is what? 30 years older than she? And he was doing everything to Brandon and Maria be together...
Oct 13, 2015 10:58 PM

Mar 2012
I can't believe Bear Walken actually believes Harry and gives his daughter's hand to him. Harry is clearly using his daughter just gain Bear's trust.
Nov 1, 2015 1:33 AM

Dec 2012
Anime 101 on how the MC does not to end up with his/her childhood friend: Gungrave episodes 2 - 13.

Unfuckingbelievable.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Dec 13, 2015 2:06 PM

Feb 2013
Avenger-senpai said:
I can't believe Bear Walken actually believes Harry and gives his daughter's hand to him. Harry is clearly using his daughter just gain Bear's trust.

Harry basically said that out-right too that he'd "use his daughter for support" to "climb the ladder". Bear oh Bear
Jul 22, 2016 1:33 AM

Jul 2011
Brandon, get your shit together, man!

NinaShlimonJul 22, 2016 2:06 AM
Jul 30, 2016 1:01 AM

Dec 2012
Wow does this show love age gaps. Considering the first episode, the thought of Big Daddy and Maria crossed my mind early on. Then I thought that maaaybe I was looking into it too much. On one hand it's a little disappointing, but I'm at least glad Big Daddy didn't throw his power around to get her. He does sincerely care about her. He even gave his blessings to Brandon to be with her. On the other hand, Brandon seems to be trying to keep his distance to protect her. Going back to what he said earlier on about the difference between protecting and continuing to protect, however, this is an unintended betrayal of Maria's feelings on his part.

Ohhhh man it's started. Hella hyped.
Oct 6, 2016 9:24 AM

Apr 2012
achievement unlocked - "Biggest Cuck of Millenium"

i'm not even mad for that pathetic kind of MC
Jul 21, 2017 4:53 AM

Jul 2008
Brandon YOU IDIOT....all caps this time.

Harry is the ultimate snake in the grass, and all are dancing to his tune.
Nov 9, 2017 1:58 PM

Dec 2015
Ah Brandon...you massive idiot...
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 19, 2018 10:27 AM
Jul 2017
I definitely saw the Guts and Griffith comparison that a lot of people talk about in this anime. Harry needs Brandon, just like how Griffith needed Guts, but Guts didn't want to be tied into another man's dream and wanted to follow his own path. Brandon, on the other hand, is tied into Harry's dream of getting to the top of Millennion and seems okay with it because he's in it to protect the ones that he loves (Harry, Maria, and Big Daddy).

Overall good episode, but Harry is getting more corrupt by the minute.
johnny_boi_56Feb 19, 2018 1:13 PM
Mar 25, 2018 10:47 AM
Dec 2014
That was an insane episode.
Oct 23, 2018 10:06 PM

Jul 2017
I think Bear is stupid.

Harry's plan makes sense. Use Bear's daughter to gain his trust, so when Harry finally makes a big move Bear doesn't question it.

Yet I don't know why no one questioned Randy's "betrayal". I believe at a point Big Daddy said he was the head of the organization for over 30 years. The series as time skipped about 8 years since then I believe. So Randy himself has been loyal to the organization for over 30 years. Everyone chooses to accept that someone who was been loyal for such a long time throws it away for an arms deal?

I think there is a lot more that can be said about this episode, but I can't be bothered.

It just feels like overall that Harry is made to look cunning and smart at the expense of everyone else being stupid.
Aug 10, 2019 8:28 PM
Jul 2018
AGAIN on this episode I feel lot of plot twists execution leaves a lot to desire really. Talk about his betrayal, its even more strange to see Randy's being taken down easily compare to what I have seen on my first impression. Oh and calling Brandon being so monotonous is serious understatement at this point.
Oct 15, 2019 5:32 AM

Sep 2019
What the f*ck. Just what the f*ck have I just watched.

Maria with a guy over twice of her age. That Brandon nibba is dumb as hell. Just because he is a hit man he gave up his love on top of that is an old man of her father's age. So dumbass move man.
Oct 15, 2019 5:36 AM

Sep 2019
AironicallyHuman said:
Brandon giving away the only woman he ever loved to a wrinkled old CRIME BOSS over double her age, simply because he kills people for a living, is one of the dumbest moves by any character, in any medium. Ever. Maria loved Brandon enough to not date or even think about anyone else for all those years, and she even went out of her way to see him again, after three years of being ignored... yet he still gave her the cold shoulder. All he ever did was make her unhappy in some sort of daft attempt at sacrificing his own feelings in order to make her happy. Logic, where? The best part of it all is that all he managed to accomplish by giving everything to Big Daddy was hurting everyone he cared for.

And sending dresses to a girl you're ignoring is a great way to confuse the hell out of them. Not smart.

Had there been a love triangle involving Brandon, Maria and Harry, I MIGHT have understood Brandon backing away so the best friend he supported could be with the girl he loved. But having her be impregnated by an old man she had referred to as her uncle for the duration of her stay at Big Daddy's mansion was just... Ugh. I'd prefer a cliched doomed true love story if it meant avoiding old men women don't love getting comfort sex/love after the women get rejected by the men they love.

This has always been my #1 issue with Gungrave. The gangster backstory was as good as it could've been, considering it was inserted into an adaptation of an undead shoot 'em up, but it just didn't make sense for Brandon not to get it on with his beloved. Had he died leaving behind a pregnant lover, and his child come looking for him 13 years after his death, it would've been a hell of a lot more dramatic/powerful.
exactly I've no idea how can this be possible.have to take some rest before watching further episodes. Ugh that was disgusting turn over :(
Apr 19, 2020 4:07 PM

Nov 2016
Ridiculous how these episodes vary in quality.

So much suffering, tho. Especially hurt me to see Big Daddy struggling to cope, all the shit is adding up, it's just too much for him.

Emo Brandon descends into darkness fully dedicating himself to the organisation.

Meanwhile Harry is living the good life since everything goes according to keikaku for him. His smug expression when he was talking with Bear towards the end "yeah old man, thanks for letting me pound your daughter and now you got no choice but to be my bitch as well"

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 23, 2020 1:23 PM
May 2020
Harry is becoming really powerful and i don't like that...i hate the guy.

Very good episode, i'm sensing shit is about to hit the fan.
Nov 29, 2020 6:49 PM

Mar 2020
I'm not sure why everyone's upset with Brandon forfeiting Maria to Big Daddy. It's pretty obvious that Brandon wouldn't be able to reciprocate Maria's feelings since he makes a living from killing people. That's why he set his gun down on the table and told her he was a hitman.

As for why Brandon led Maria on by buying her that dress, Brandon's idea of 'protecting' Maria has changed over the course of the show. While he originally behaved recklessly in order to show his romantic interest (i.e. following her to university and joining Millenion), it's clear that he only wants her to be safe at this point. Getting too involved in the life of another would open himself to being hurt. He knows this more than anyone after having to kill Sid Gallarde right in front of Bear.

I'm surprised I'm in the position where I'm defending Brandon as a character. Something must truly be wrong with the world.
Jan 8, 2022 10:22 AM

Jun 2020
RedRoseFring said:
Lol at the guy who tried to protect himself from bullets with a calculator. That is all.

And the calculator screen displayed "666" was an icing on the cake moment.
Apr 15, 2023 4:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I can't blame Brandon because it's happening mainly because he's too "kind" and even when it's awkward he's still trying to consider the best for Maria... but going with Big Daddy is one of the worst choice possible though, not only because of the mafia but damn they all like young women in this show... while Harry is making his moves eliminating all the ones that could be a problem to him, now I'm just hopping for Bear to understand that and step against him, with possibly Brandon as well if it's even possible...
Sep 25, 2023 7:36 PM

Dec 2022
Harry was more than eager to snoop into The Family and betray the Code of Iron earlier for his own benefit. On the other hand, he's an ardent supporter of it so long as it applies to anyone other than himself. Randy was one of the more genuine members of Millennion, and so takes the fall for Harry's own schemes.

Big Daddy being interested in Maria was already revealed when he initially appeared after Jester died. The first thing he did was kiss her hand, which blatantly conveys romantic feelings.

Bear's intuition (or "his eyes" as he calls them) must be failing him, despite how much faith he places in it.

Shaded Horizon

Mar 17, 8:22 AM
May 2017
I think the pacing lately is a bit fast.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

113 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 25, 2:13 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 25 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

32 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 25, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 24 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

47 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 25, 12:16 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 23 Discussion

TitanioVerde - Sep 16, 2009

25 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 25, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 4 Discussion

cantius - Apr 10, 2009

31 by TruzenHilpom »»
Apr 24, 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.