Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 28, 2007 12:01 AM

Mar 2005
~Topic created by Xinil~

« on: June 06, 2006, 09:49:52 PM »

Episode Discussion Rules

Spoilers tags are not necessary. Any information contained in this thread assumes you have watched the series up to this point.

You are allowed to talk about anything related to the anime.

You are not allowed to talk about things from the manga which have not yet occurred in the anime.

----------- end discussion rules --------------

Xinil
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:52:15 PM »

First let me say that I'm not a Asahina Mikuru fan. Second, let me say that I am now a Asahina Mikuru fan. Holy CRAP she's hot older. While it doesn't look like she got much brighter, I think she may be using a few more brain cells.

Thirdly, I am also now a Nagato fan. She was freakin' awesome defending Kyon in the classroom against Ryoko. And I totally agree with Kyon, she looks much cuter without the classes. Oh and the scene where the guy walks in on Kyon holding Nagato...hilarious. Smiley

Ahhh, amazing episode 10/10.

kei-clone
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »

Best...episode...ever...

i mean, if we only had the Yuki v. Ryoko battle happen this episode, it would have already been a great episode, but now with Asahina just coming from the future, it's like HOLY SHIT!!! in any case, this episode has pushed SHnY just over the edge of Shaman King and Fullmetal Alchemist as my all-time favorite series.

and we must remember how cheaply Kyoto Animation did the previous episode, ep 9, "Someday in the Rain". I didn't really like tat episode, imo, but dam, now i know where the budget went!

o man, i can't believe we had the older mikuru in the OP theme the entire time, and no one ever noticed that it was her. >_<

shamelessly pulling a page out of one of the blog that I read(http://www.yayapapayaz.com/hontouni/?p=366#more-366), I now say that it is highly likely that Mikuru is actually Kyon's sister!

think about it, why is Kyon's sister not known by a name, but simply as Kyon's sister? ever since episode 6, Remote Island Syndrome, i've heard speculation of this:

"SHnY is an gigantic irony. The joke of course is on the audience and (gasp!) Haruhi herself. Ep 1 is a clear illustration of this as we have fact masquerading as fiction. And the key verse from Haruhi 6 is, “If you don’t eat (your greens), you wouldn’t become like Asahina san.” There we have it. If Mikuru is indeed Kyon’s sister, those in the know would undoubtedly be laughing at how the audience remains oblivious to a clear declaration of Mikuru’s identity. That would explain Kyon’s natural protective instincts of Mikuru. It also explains how Mikuru never lets slip “onii-chan” since she’s been addressing him as Kyon since young (And we know how Mikuru always unwittingly reveals things).

this also explains why Mikuru and Kyon's sister get along so well.

and now, this episode pushes the theory further, when older Mikuru says, "One more thing, don't get to close to me." She says this before in ep 4 as well, The Boredom of Suzumiya Haruhi, as the younger self.

It makes sense in the twisted environment of SHnY anyway, however farfetched this sounds. I mean, out of all the possible ppl in the future, why would they send such an airhead like Mikuru? Obviously because she's his sister!! (or at the very least, with some important connection to Kyon)

Hiro
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:41:11 PM »

^ That's actually changed my entire point of view on the show now. I could see that happening @.@

Mar 28, 2007 4:58 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol, ... damn!

xD

Wish I'd known about MAL when I was watching Haruhi.

staff.applications ▼ 
guidelines.faq ▼

report.abuse ▼ 

thx.skittles ▼ 
thx.kina ▼

[H+] ³ã€€â–¼ã€€
Mar 29, 2007 4:20 AM

Nov 2004
Million times late but oh well I just saw episode 10 haha. I'm like... o.o ... yay for nicely animated episodes~~
Apr 12, 2008 11:36 AM

Apr 2008
Crystal said:
Million times late but oh well I just saw episode 10 haha. I'm like... o.o ... yay for nicely animated episodes~~

You think you're late?! I'm watching the show for the first time NOW!
Apr 16, 2008 11:01 PM

Nov 2007
Wth were you doing back in 2006?? There was one thing to do and that was to watch Haruhi ! :D

[url][/url]
Jul 20, 2008 6:41 AM

Apr 2008
Never noticed Nagato not wearing glasses before this episode actually took me by hand, and pointed at this... And that was the fourth chronological episode >_>
Guess she looked natural enough withought them... and I didn't have any clear image of her in my mind yet :P

Nov 30, 2008 12:25 AM

May 2008
Okinuza said:
Crystal said:

You think YOU'RE late??!! I'm watching the show for the first time... NOW!!!!!

that first post implies that this is the last of the chronological order of the series? just a guess? anyway ill keep watching, but this anime is wack. and cool
Dec 7, 2008 12:11 PM

Jun 2008
Nice episode. loved the fight seance

Asahina was hot when she was older
Feb 5, 2009 11:30 AM

Jan 2009
The episode would be the remote island pt. 1 episode if you're watching it in the DVD order. I must admit it was a pretty sweet episode and next episode looks even more sweet.
Jun 28, 2009 1:05 AM

Jan 2009
Nagato freakin kicked ass in this ep and the fight scenes were really well done!

Oct 24, 2009 2:43 AM

Apr 2009
Whoa, Nagato kicked some serious arse o.o Go aliens! The fighting scene was awesome. My favourite episode so far.
Mikuru is so cute when older x3
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Jan 3, 2010 3:54 AM

Nov 2009
Older mikuru > all the rest <3

I wonder how i would've responded if i was in kyon's earlier predicament...
Mar 22, 2010 2:02 AM

Jan 2010
The broadcast order is definitely much more interesting.
May 23, 2010 7:53 PM

Mar 2010
This was the Remote Island Pt. 2 for me.
Great episode. I enjoyed it a lot. Nevertheless, I had a hunch from the beginning that it was all gonna be this one big joke made by the esper dude.
Jun 5, 2010 8:03 AM

Sep 2009
Kaarosu said:
This was the Remote Island Pt. 2 for me.
Great episode. I enjoyed it a lot. Nevertheless, I had a hunch from the beginning that it was all gonna be this one big joke made by the esper dude.

For me too, loved the Haruhi-Phoenix deduction against Koizumi-Edgeworth perfect case.
Now I'll see Endless Eight *fear*
Jun 20, 2010 12:45 AM

Jun 2010
Primitive and the obvious end of a detective. Boredom.
Jun 22, 2010 8:38 AM

Feb 2009
Very nice episode, comparing to last one, this one was so much more fast-paced and interesting. Nagato rules, alien ftw!
Aug 13, 2011 9:54 AM

Nov 2009
All I could think of was Umineko X'D but anyway this is so interesting!!! i loved the games they played XD and i loved it how Yuki said "I love you." in the exact tone as b4 X3 this episode was great =D
Jan 9, 2012 10:50 AM

Nov 2011
I've been meaning to say this for a long time...

OBJECTION!

I. Don't. Regret. Anything.
Jan 11, 2012 8:04 AM

Aug 2011
Definitely an above average episode when compared to the rest of the show. A major improvement, TBH. 4/5
If it keeps up, I may consider a 7/10. Or maybe not. We'll see.
Jun 5, 2012 12:07 PM

May 2011
This episode was awesome!

Yuki's entire role and battle (That was an unexpected Yandere twist lol) in this episode is what made it for me. Haruhi still has my heart but I really like Yuki a lot more now as opposed to before ^^. I'll agree with Kyon and say she's definitely cuter without the glasses, especially when she stays quiet after a compliment ^^.

Oh yeah, future Mikuru levels up even more!? Awesome.

As everyone has mentioned, the quality of this episode was definitely top-tier. The flashier the better :)
Aug 2, 2012 2:32 PM
Jul 2012
This is part 1 of the island not part 2.
Aug 22, 2012 1:09 AM

Dec 2010
Great episode imo, and now I totally agree with the episode order, because I actually got what happened this way. The fight between Yuki and her ex-assistant was really epic, I didn't expect it from this show.

Now if someone just tells me about anime with similar battles, I'd be so grateful =\
Jun 4, 2013 3:50 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
What. That end surprised me, I was not expecting that guy to be stabbed. JUST WHAT. (btw watching Remote Island 1)
Jul 3, 2013 5:08 PM

Jul 2012
People wondering they were late in 2008, I'm watching this in 2013, I feel so bad about this xD
Anyway, Kyon order>>chronological order, and wow, that episode was just awesome!
Aug 2, 2013 7:54 AM
May 2013
tingy said:
What. That end surprised me, I was not expecting that guy to be stabbed. JUST WHAT. (btw watching Remote Island 1)

Good episode, I like when Kyon finds his sister in luggage.
Dec 19, 2013 3:37 PM

Jan 2011
Well, that explains the random Canada reference earlier..

Also: People thinking they are late watching it since 2007, and here i am, barely finishing it before 2014 (still 4 episodes to go, watching in broadcast order).
Dec 28, 2013 10:52 PM

Mar 2012
This'll be hard to solve since Haruhi's involved or may not be involved. Maybe she wished for it or she wished for something else to trick everyone and herself.
Jul 30, 2014 8:20 AM

Dec 2013
it's getting more and more boring
Aug 15, 2014 5:09 AM

Jan 2014
2009 broadcast order (chronological for both seasons) ~ Episode: Remote Island Syndrome (Part One)

Not bad. A murder, just like Haruhi wanted...
Curious to see her reactions in the next episode.
Aug 29, 2014 6:42 PM

Oct 2013
So... the way I understand it, sometime in the future, Kyon and Mikuru fug. That's how he knows about her mole and also explains why future Mikuru was so willing to show her body to him. I guess since future Mikuru made that goof, she kind of screwed with the timeline and that won't be happening anymore. Might also explain why she told Kyon not to get too close to her. Maybe the were in a relationship, Mikuru returned to her time, leaving Kyon really depressed. Make sure he doesn't get close and she can prevent that from happening. Hmmm.

It's episodes like this where I'm really glad I'm watching this in the Kyon order. It's quite clear the episodes are deliberately placed where they are, not thrown into some randomizer and aired in whatever order the randomizer turned up.

I agree, Yuki is much cuter without the glasses. Then again, I don't have a glasses fetish either.

☩ Discord: the.path.to.pathos
☩ RateYourMusic
☩ last.fm
Sep 6, 2014 4:18 PM

Dec 2013
Lol wtf
That ending, so anticlimax.
Sep 17, 2014 5:55 AM

Jan 2014
-Broadcast Order: "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya part IV"

Best episode of the show, nothing else to say. This main plot clearly carries the series, if I would have watched it in the chronological order I would have dropped it after this for sure, boring as it is in its slice of life turn.
Nov 16, 2014 8:15 PM

Oct 2013
theeggman85 said:
Okinuza said:

You think YOU'RE late??!! I'm watching the show for the first time... NOW!!!!!

that first post implies that this is the last of the chronological order of the series? just a guess? anyway ill keep watching, but this anime is wack. and cool

how about now
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Dec 11, 2014 10:13 AM

Jan 2012
interesting episode best so far

Jan 28, 2015 10:45 AM

Apr 2014
Today...this episode...I realize Kyon has the same voice as Gintoki Sakata...Only when he start a Monologue after The Kings game I Realize...aaaaaaaand...now we are looking at them dealing with a Murderer...great job Haruhi...what the world would do without you making crimes happen because you don't wanna be bored...
Front Hooks...Oh yeah...
May 31, 2015 11:04 AM

Mar 2015
Awesome episode. So that's when Kyon realized things were serious... Nagato was fantastic ;)
Sep 22, 2015 12:54 AM

Mar 2014
Love that little twist at the end with a potential murderer actually being on the island.
Well, on to the endless eight episodes now.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Oct 4, 2015 3:11 PM
Feb 2015
Oh god if there was a thing in this world I didn't expect, it was just this episode right there
Feb 17, 2016 6:22 AM

Jan 2013
[Watching in broadcast order]

I called Asakura being strange in the very first episode, I knew something was off with her.
A lot of stabbings for an entity like Yuki.
ENJOY YOURSELVES ... !! Lmao :D

Damn, Mikuru from the future sure has grown up.
May 20, 2016 11:15 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Two new suprises!!!!

---
¡Dos sorpesas más!
May 23, 2016 9:13 PM

Mar 2015
Remote Island Part 1

I LOLed when Kyon looking at the fire works when it didnt launch but later his face got direct hit, haha XD

3.7/5
Nov 26, 2016 1:07 AM

Jan 2015
Episode 10:

The SOS Brigade is traveling to a remote island on their vacation which Suzumiya finds interesting :3

The gang is having a good time on the boat and island where Haruhi wonders if there would happen an incident on this island :3

Because of the attention of fun and having to repress Haruhi's urge for excitement something happens to the owner of the Mansion and everyone looks shocked at this murder case...!

A great episode and interesting, I love how the gang is experiencing all kinds of random stuff :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Nov 26, 2016 4:05 PM
Sadist

Jun 2016
Ultimatedeath said:
Episode 10:

The SOS Brigade is traveling to a remote island on their vacation which Suzumiya finds interesting :3

The gang is having a good time on the boat and island where Haruhi wonders if there would happen an incident on this island :3

Because of the attention of fun and having to repress Haruhi's urge for excitement something happens to the owner of the Mansion and everyone looks shocked at this murder case...!

A great episode and interesting, I love how the gang is experiencing all kinds of random stuff :3

I approve of the resurrection of any thread involving haruhi.. this was the last stop before endless eight iirc
Aug 10, 2017 5:31 AM

Jul 2008
Get your case closed hats on. There is a closed room murder afoot.
Aug 14, 2017 1:14 PM

Jun 2015
you're kidding, right?
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Sep 19, 2017 11:32 AM

Sep 2013
hmmm...a mystery....and a 2-parter. Looking forward to next episode.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 26, 2018 4:46 PM

Feb 2018
Am I the only one who thinks young Mikuno looks better than older one?
May 3, 2018 2:33 PM

Sep 2017
Murder at the mansion episode.

Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.
Fuck you Haruhi.

Infinity times.

I hate her. Thanks for scarring the mind of Kyon's sister and all the teammates with you with such a cruel murder. And fuck you every time. You are just worse than a pampered child or a spoiled baby. I hope you rot in hell, bitch. You just change scenarios to your fucking advantage. Whether it be the "last one buy cans" after you are out of the card game, or the wanting of a bad event to happen, or distressing people with the King scenario. Fuck her. Wish she would die.

And Kyon's sister is also a bitch, along with everyone on the show. If I was in Kyon's place, I would have closed the bag and hoped she die of asphyxiation. Or throw the bag into an incinerator. Fucking ask nicely if you want to join.

I am getting fucking FLCL vibes from this. Fuck this shit.

I will watch Mob Psycho now.

I give no fuck counter: 17.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 7, 2018 10:45 AM

May 2016
Damn it actually happened I was like wtf, this is a slice of life genre why there is a murder case!!!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna_Nihilist - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.