Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2013 7:35 AM

Nov 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really liked this episode, the background story about the Makabe family was great.
I hope that both of them will be able to get to the moon... Something like, they work exceptionally well and the chief decides to put them both on the mission. Seems like this reveal is going to affect their friendship based on the preview.
Rinji-Nov 16, 2013 7:45 AM
Nov 16, 2013 8:06 AM

Jan 2011
This episode lays out plainly the modern dilemma--career or family. As the only Japanese astronaut with a young family, Kenji is particularly feeling the pressures. You can never get back the times you miss because of work when your children are young and that has to be a constant strain on him. I can't help but think that this gives Mutta a big advantage in the competition, since he doesn't have this tug of war going on in his head.

On the other hand it was nice to see that both female astronauts are ISS bound. For a moment I wondered what all the food pictures were about, then I realized just whose cubicle we were looking at. It would have been nice to see a picture of Mutta somewhere up there as well...
rodacNov 16, 2013 8:10 AM
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Nov 16, 2013 8:18 AM

Aug 2010
Good ep. But I fear for what's to come :(

Glad that the fever thing was just a flash back. Kenji and his family's story was really nice. But feel sorry for his wife. And for Kenji as well. I can't help but think he deserves going to the moon more than Mutta as things currently are.

True, Mutta needs to be there for Sharon's telescope but that can probably wait for another additional year or two. Ofc I want both to go together more than anything >.<...Why is the world so cruel!!!

What I feared seems to be happening nxt ep T_T
No Kenji don't do that!! But hopefully him saying "Was I such a cruel person" means he'll go back to normal soon.

Other than that. Loved their bonding scene during the brain storming discussion.
And loved how Ena and Serika are going to be together. Happy for them.

And lol at Mutta's "I'm screwed" face at the end XD
Barion-ZaraNov 16, 2013 10:28 AM
Nov 16, 2013 8:31 AM

Jul 2012
There can be only one!! But knowing this series Mutta will do something interesting and they both will be able to go to the Moon.
Nov 16, 2013 9:50 AM

May 2010
wow that ending.
Nov 16, 2013 10:51 AM

Nov 2011
wow that ending was intense!
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Nov 16, 2013 11:29 AM
Feb 2007
Misiakk said:
There can be only one!! But knowing this series Mutta will do something interesting and they both will be able to go to the Moon.

Feeling I have. They'll want Kneji for leadership and such and Mutta to put together his new Buggy.
Nov 16, 2013 1:05 PM

Oct 2013
It doesn't mean people who are single face less problem and stress than people who have families. It's always up to individuals. They both have the same dreams and ideals. They both are working hard and serious. I think they are on the same level. But next episode, seems Kenji's becoming more insecure.
Nov 16, 2013 1:22 PM

Jul 2011
Ohmigawd. That preview.

WHY. Telling them that completely ruins their teamwork!! Argh.

Both are deserving of being astronauts, but I feel like Kenji will ultimately decide to opt out for his family. Maybe they will both be able to go because they both qualify and someone else doesn't. :(

On another note, Mutta mentioning the telescope made me smile. :)
Nov 16, 2013 1:39 PM

Aug 2008
Somehow, showing Kenji's family background just make me support sending Mutta going to the moon even more than Kenji (if they really have to choose one of them); his wife is struggling to adapt to the new lifestyle, even though she is willing to do that, being pregnant doesn't help. ><

But seriously, Mutta and Kenji's teamwork is amazing, it's really a shame that Butler decided that they have to make each other their "enemy". >>
Nov 16, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
What the heck? That hospital doesn't offer interpreter services? And the doctor just shrugs it off derisively. Jerk.
Nov 16, 2013 3:03 PM

Jul 2010
Damn, this episode was so sad .. And this kind of selection is fucking cruel.
I'm expecting more feels next episode.

Btw, Kenji centrated-episode is always a good thing. Best "support" character.
Nov 16, 2013 3:12 PM

Nov 2011
Is this the first time we're getting a Kenji episode, it just feels like i know him so well, the episode was fantastic and perfectly complemented the bomb at the end, Kenji who feels he has to get to the moon in place of all the time he's lost with his family, it'll be interesting to see what happens next ep. Sigh, who decided that a week must have 7 days, why not make it shorter.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Nov 16, 2013 5:10 PM

May 2012
Those facial expressions at the end, lol. It's good to see Serika again, I don't think I've seen her in ages.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Nov 16, 2013 5:23 PM

May 2011
Great background of Kenji's family. Yeah it's pretty cruel to make them compete against each other when they can work so perfectly together but it is what it is, Kenji's wife is struggling hard and needs him so I wouldn't feel so bad if he loses. Nice seeing Serika again.
Nov 16, 2013 7:03 PM

May 2012
That flashback was great showing how Kenji and his family has "sacrificed" a lot to send him to the moon. It gives a more impact that Kenji really needs to go to the moon. But I also want Mutta to go to the moon!!! That end was just intense... excited already what will happen next.
Nov 16, 2013 9:19 PM

May 2011
Oh the charging station idea while thinking of his brother and then the telescope because of Sharon. How I adore Mutta. ;_; And of course, Kenji is a fantastic character as well. There was that episode awhile ago about his family and it was nice in that sad kind of way to see their importance once again.
Nov 16, 2013 9:59 PM

Jun 2012
Mutta's the main character but I've liked Kenji since he was first introduced near the beginning of the series : /

HybridMBLNov 16, 2013 10:03 PM
Nov 16, 2013 10:11 PM

Dec 2012
Ena was so moe this episode.

It was great to get a look at Kenji's family a bit more. It must be hard on them and any family of an astronaut, I can relate a bit since my father was in the military and would always be deployed in various countries for assignments. I remember when I was Fuuka's age he was sent to South Korea for a whole year. I really like Kenji but I hope Mutta is chosen over him, then he'll be able to spend more time with his family while Mutta goes on to fulfill Sharon's dream among others.
Nov 19, 2013 7:24 PM

Jun 2008
dat Kenji episode
dat delicious Serika
dat blushing Kitamura

Perfect episode. But things are starting to get complicated.
Nov 19, 2013 10:55 PM

Feb 2010
This showww. It plays with my emotions... im so torn.
Nov 20, 2013 1:27 PM

Jul 2010
Loved the new information about Kenji's family. I've always loved them.

Although it's sad, I really feel like Kenji shouldn't go to the moon. I mean, I'd be glad if he does, but I just don't want him to regret not experiencing his daughter's childhood, etc.
I can totally sympathize with Kenji's wife as well. The thought of not having my husband around often, or having to raise our daughter by myself, or trying to adapt into a different culture is terrifying. But I love how supportive she is - it's amazing how much faith she has in him.

Anyways, I think in the end Kenji isn't going to make it to the moon. It sucks, but in a way, it may be for the best. But we'll see how things go. <3

Oh, but so glad about Serika and Ena! It's awesome they've accomplished their dreams. I really want to see more backstory about Ena, though. We got a lot of it some time ago when she was leaving Japan, but I want more!
One thing though..
Is anyone else annoyed that none of the girl ascans are going to the moon..? It's like they're inferior or something. -_-; Not that it annoyed me very much, but just food for thought. xD

Also, no Hibito this week.... :'( I neeeeed hiiimmmm. </3

And what happened to pretty Indian astronaut?? I kinda miss her. :( Can anyone tell me, did she get eliminated or something? Because we just haven't heard about her in a while.
Feb 28, 2014 10:13 AM

Jul 2009
NUUUUUU!!! Ahhhh goshdarnit, why'd you have to tell them George?! T_T Should've listened to Andy ... is he the "nice" one in the veteran pair?! They were working so well together brainstorming for the moonbase ... *sniffles*
Loved more background with Kenji's family. Yeah, it must've been really tough for his wife ... I'm glad she has such faith in him though! Same thing with his daughter ... good thing that was just in the past and not happening now. I was worried he'd have to stop training >_< I really want him to be able to achieve his dreams ... but also Mutta as well obviously ... I mean he's thinking of Hibito and Sharon with his suggestions!
Ugh, I hope the boys can overcome this and still work together ... I mean dat preview ... is he gonna refuse Mutta's hand?! DON'T DO THIS TO ME T_T
Oh and I forgot about Serika and Ena! It's awesome they're both going to the ISS! Great job! :D
Mar 16, 2014 1:12 PM
Aug 2011
Yep it was never going to be this easy as in "oh look i'm on a team with my best friend and now we can both go to the moon."

Seeing how this is called Space Brother not Space Friends it makes Kenji look like he is hanging on by a thread which sucks.
Then there's that awful feeling of i'm wasting away my daughter's childhood on my dream.
Aug 4, 2014 3:08 PM

Nov 2011
Aww, they have a tough decision to make. And Fuuka is so adorable. That drawing of Superpanda is awesome.
Aug 13, 2014 6:41 PM

Jun 2012
Ever since the early episodes with Mutta and Kenji working together, I've been really waiting for the time when they both make it the moon together. I'm holding out on a hope that they can still both make it because it'd make their journey together come to such a satisfying point.
Sep 26, 2014 6:45 PM

Nov 2010
Andy Jaws turns out be a nice clumsy guy

Focussing on the story of Kenji was nice to his family, especially his wife having hardships moving to another country and leaving all other things behind
Fuuka is really sweet

Mutta and Kenji are besides good friends they also complement each other in tasks
It's sad Love had to burst the bubble and tell them the true objective of this mission
Jan 18, 2015 2:02 PM

Nov 2011
As much as I'd like to see Kenji go to the moon, I'm glad they took the time to examine his wife's situation. To be in a completely different culture without knowledge of the language, on top of having to take care of a 5-year-old child, and to be severely lacking in spousal support, it would be really rough. Her resolve is truly impressive. She's the hero of the episode imo.

Kenji is really stuck in a hard spot. Not having a parent around is stressful even for teenagers. Not being around when children are still young is just time that can't be replaced, ever. That's part of the reason why I think family should come after one's life is in order and settled (or at least, as much as is possible). Spending time with family is so important, I feel like it should come only when you can indeed invest that sort of time.

I'm rooting for Mutta at this point.

It seemed somewhat cruel to tell Mutta and Kenji that they're competing. I don't want to see their friendship and teamwork interfered with. They've been together from the beginning... :/
Apr 1, 2015 3:58 AM

Jun 2009
I feel like having Kenji and Mutta on the same team just creates stupid forced drama, it doesn't even make sense from mission planning perspective. If anything, you'd want both of them on the mission simply because they work so well together. One of the core tenets of being an astronaut is how well you work together with others. They both have different strengths and weaknesses. The management obviously has no qualms about having Mutta on the mission as it's essentially a 50/50 chance him or Kenji will get the job. If they thought he wasn't good enough, he wouldn't even be doing NEEMO. This NEEMO training is basically the same shit as the 2 week box training in the JAXA astronaut exam.
Nov 27, 2015 12:15 AM

Mar 2012
Aannnddd I already dislike this Love fella >_>

Really hoping the chief is just screwing with them and they'll both end up going to the moon. I MEAN JUST LOOK AT THAT SYNERGY DAMMIT ;_;
Feb 4, 2016 6:01 AM
Dec 2009
PaleBlue said:
What the heck? That hospital doesn't offer interpreter services? And the doctor just shrugs it off derisively. Jerk.

Yup, honestly this was unrealistic for an American hospital. All the hospitals I know of are signed up for translation via phone or internet services. That confusion shouldn't have happened!

Kenji's wife and his daughter are going through a lot being in America, but honestly staying there for longer will be a great experience for her daughter... she'll be bilingual in the future if she goes to American school and her mom keeps working on her Japanese studies at home. It's gotta be hard on his wife but aren't there any support groups? Other Japanese wives? Where I lived in the US there was a small group of Japanese housewives that exchanged info with each other and met up once a week for lunch and stuff.
Jan 11, 2017 6:16 AM

May 2015
Just send Kenji and Mutta to Moon. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 9, 2017 2:17 PM

Aug 2015
Damn, Kenji's story hits hard for me. Makes me real sad. The part where the daughter got sick and had to go to the doctor was so sad. Also this end has me rolling, they may have made things worse rather than making Kenji and Mutta fired up for doing better work. Shit.
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Sep 23, 2017 7:44 AM

May 2012
OOOOH Snap that ending! Damn this sure brings up more complications! Nice backstory with the wife and child from Kenji though!
Mar 17, 2018 5:52 AM

Feb 2013
Things are going to get really tense, I don't like it.
Jan 15, 2020 7:15 PM
Jul 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuck. Why did he have to tell them! This’ll definitely build some tension between their teamwork and I’m not sure if this was for the better. Seeing kenji’s family struggle without him will make it hurt more if he doesn’t make it to the moon. Man this show gotta play with my emotions like that.
Apr 22, 2020 3:44 PM

Apr 2016
The part about Kenji’s family was very good, I liked it. I’m a bit worried on what’s going to happen between Mutta and Kenhi. Let’s see.
Nov 7, 2020 5:03 PM

Dec 2007
the part about kenji's family is rough one, makes me harder to root for mutta, i guess that's the point though.

telling them the true was wrong, and knowing mutta he will have hard time to not make kenji succeed, though he's already doing so by letting him decide the most parts.

really like this arc already, hope to see mutta this time fighting for his way to the moon.
Nov 26, 2020 2:03 AM
Apr 2016
Kenji's wife is an incredible woman, to persevere in that scenario is a showcase of real love and wondrous desire to see her SO succeed in making his dreams come true.

I also really doubt that revealing it to them will aid their motivation in any way, contrarily I believe it will be tremendously counterproductive.
Jun 27, 2023 12:03 AM

Feb 2019
This was a great episode, especially showing the struggles for Kenji's family. His wife's feeling the pressure of being in a foreign country. That was sad to see, especially when she couldn't speak English with the doctor. It's as if she's raising her daughter alone. I wonder how Kenji's situation is going to play out. Could he potentially drop out of the astronaut programme altogether?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.