Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong, As I Expected (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Jan 18, 2017 4:18 AM

Apr 2013
Tbh I expected it to be a bit more enjoyable. The art looked mostly bad and Hachiman is not as rational as I expected him to be.
Jan 28, 2017 8:38 AM

Apr 2015
A Very Amazing First Episode....This Looks Very Interesting
The Opening Is Also Pretty Good!
BiisooJan 28, 2017 8:41 AM
May 20, 2017 10:54 PM

Jan 2016
This was a pretty good first episode! ^_^

They perfectly mixed comedy, morals that incite motivation, and good character development in the first episode. My one point of criticism is how the story seems a little generic. You know, the outcast who finds a pretty girl who saves him from said behavior. But it's certainly sucked me in.

I love Yukino's behavior. She is brutally honest, intelligent, passionate and still selfless. (Best kind of people) Her demeanor may be a little cold, but I'd prefer that any day over an airhead. She will probably end up being my favorite character.
Jun 8, 2017 5:10 PM

Oct 2013
Great characters. Hachiman and Yukino are interesting with their specific philosophies in life
Aug 11, 2017 12:15 PM

May 2013
First ep was aight. Nothing special, but I'll give it a chance
Nov 9, 2017 6:33 PM

Nov 2017
Cynical protagonist 101. Teacher acting like any normal teacher wouldn't, a club that defies realism, and lessons so simple and unimportant that if the characters have not said they were important, I would've dismissed the whole thing. The animation is fine, the character design is generic and the colors palette is pathetic. So dry in terms of setting creativity and the only saving thing is the dialogue. The fact it's not retarded like I imagined it would be is a plus and while I'm not looking forward to this series, I don't think it can be THAT disappointing in some worst scenario. 3/5
LumsiNov 9, 2017 11:07 PM
Nov 26, 2017 8:48 AM
Sep 2017
I like how Hachiman thinks about this life. Really awesome ('ω')
Jan 21, 2018 1:18 PM

Sep 2017
Seems to be pretty much what I would expect from the title. Dialogue based comedy in a school setting revolving around social interactions with a little social commentary on the side.

From the first episode the writing seems self aware enough to be the type of show that would either avoid too many cliches, or at least address them - as it did with Hachiman's thoughts about being thrown into the "club" with Yukino (and the title of the series itself) . Hopefully that turns out to be true
Feb 22, 2018 7:48 PM

Sep 2017
Good philosophical discussion episode. I like the MC. Hate the orange haired girl though. She is acting just like the MC said she would.The black haired girl is awesome by all standards. I like the roast of the teacher by the MC.

Looking forward to next ep.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 2, 2018 7:42 AM

Jul 2016
I can kind of relate to the mc but not really, as for the episode it was alright but could've been better
Sep 22, 2018 3:25 AM

May 2016
The comedy is top notch at some points I burst laughing a few times and the MC is pretty good for his role.
Jan 3, 2019 1:32 AM

Jul 2009
This is looking like a fun pessimistic Anime :D

Will keep an eye out for more episodes!!
Mar 2, 2019 10:12 AM
Apr 2018
Hachiman has had bad luck. His eyes look funny.
Mar 17, 2019 7:02 PM

Jul 2012
This anime is pretty popular so I kinda had pre-impressions of each character.

Yukino is a lot more interesting and Yui a bit more of an airhead than I expected haha.
Hachiman is about what I pictured.

Looking forward to more of their banter!

Mar 18, 2019 4:42 PM
Jun 2017
Just watch this since i heard this will have a season 3 and WELL I LOVE IT... this series looks interesting
Mar 24, 2019 1:26 PM

Nov 2016
He does his rep as edgelord justice , that's for sure and I honestly dislike guys like Hachiman.

But admittedly, his attitude is partly pretty amusing yet also mildly irritating at times. Gotta see how my final verdict will turn out.

Yukino is my favorite character so far. Arrogant, but in a adorable and funny manner.

Yui is ok I guess.

Promising start overall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2019 2:54 PM

Oct 2017
Nice idea with social club in school :O
Main character is pretty good, I'm Liking his monologues
Enjoyable and amusing episode
Jul 18, 2019 7:48 AM

Jul 2014
Now I understand why I keep seeing edgy weeb memes with Hachiman in them.
Nov 27, 2019 2:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Doing a quick rewatch in preparation for the 3rd season. Man, I'd forgotten how snarky Yukino was at the beginning, lol.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 16, 2020 5:47 PM
Apr 2016
Rewatching this five years later sure is a different experience; makes me feel strange.
Feb 14, 2020 12:38 PM
Oct 2019
I like the concept of the show and can definitely see the relations between this and Hyouka (The main reason I put this on my watchlist), but as a character Hikigaya feels too Incel. It just gets on my nerves a touch too much.
Mar 1, 2020 4:06 PM

Aug 2017
My first time watching this. I've heard many things about Hachiman and he's really a nice character. Good impression in the first episode. About the rest, Yukino is a bit perfect to me and the other girl is dumb lol.

But I think that Hachiman will be the best character.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Mar 12, 2020 4:02 AM

Oct 2019
I feel like it is a super formulaic plot, but the way it is all put together with the characters' personalities pulls it together.

--

👏 hyped for 2022 lockdown 👏
👏 all good things come in threes 👏

- - ✽ - -
Mar 12, 2020 4:09 AM

Aug 2018
Excuses said:
I feel like it is a super formulaic plot, but the way it is all put together with the characters' personalities pulls it together.

The events that make up the story should be very familiar to anyone who's watched high school rom coms before. School councils, field trips, firework festivals, homemade chocolates etc. It's the mature and realistic way it handles emotion expressed in subtle body language that makes it different.
Mar 25, 2020 10:09 PM
Feb 2017
I know people said the MC was relatable, but I didn’t think I’d relate to him that much. I died when Yukinoshita asked what the definition of a friend was and Hachiman responded with “That’s what someone would no friends would say”, as that’s exactly what I do lmao.
May 23, 2020 3:10 PM

Nov 2017
Yahallo!~

I think with the third season delayed, now's the best time to re-watch the series. I remember watching this when it premiered and haven't gone back to it since then, haha.

Idk why, but the vibes I get from the first episode are awkward. Yeah, that's the best word to describe it: awkward. Hachiman called Yui a ビッチ! If you didn't know, that word is used more like the English words slut or whore so that's why the latter was talking about being a virgin.

&++ mayne, that OP can put me to sleep, but in a good way. I just want to lay in a field of flowers whilst it's playing and the wind gently touches my face.

Hachiman and Yukino are both cynical douches. Golly, every time I see or hear or say the word cynical or cynic, my mind immediately recalls what Conan O'Brien had to say about it (and I agree with him 100%).

One of my friends loves Yukino to death though, lol. Speaking of her, I love her Japanese voice. I can listen to it for the rest of my natural life. I wouldn't mind her narrating my life.

Knowing myself and my personality, Yui has gotta be the most relatable character to me. But just because the others aren't reaallly~, doesn't mean they can't be entertaining in their one way. I like their smart ass interactions with each other.

Looking forward to this re-watch. いくぞ!
Jul 3, 2020 5:34 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
A pretty simple rom-com, to be honestly. That teacher really help her student. Its so regretful on my past life not meet any of that senpai on my sad youth life. Rofl.

Okay. Since this was simple. I don't had a doubt if sometimes their relations would become more and more closer. Because, yeah, from the beginning, even the teacher shipped them all like crazy. In these first episode, i found their characterization still generic for me. Especially with that Yukinon loneliness type of girl (a very suited character Saori had, lol) and her fateful met in an empty club against typical male lead rom-com chara full of harsh but had an inner kindness, Hikki. And that cheerful but too clumpsy girl with brightful orange hair, Yui (aw, another matched character with her seiyuu, Nao). Its kinda brought back some nostalgic drama over some rom-com story. Alas, that ending felt completely same. But, yeah, need more study. So, lets continued to digging more story telling this show had!

*Finally had a time to cleared this serialization after a long wait on my ptw lists. Its about time, eh? Yep, its just for the sake of the new season on 2020!*
badabassJul 3, 2020 5:37 AM
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 12, 2020 11:45 PM
May 2020
This is my favorite kind of anime. Having watched and enjoyed Kaguya same wa kokurasetai tensai tachi no renai zonousen, it only makes sense that I enjoy this. I am looking forward to completing the two seasons and then watching the now airing season 3!
Jul 30, 2020 11:33 PM
Feb 2019
Late, always late at this. Aghh!!

Interesting first episode.
It's an interesting take in the usual romcom story, I like this more cynical but down to earth approach, despite of it not being as innovative as it was when first premiered. The story is pretty simple, but with just some minutes in the episode, it's clear the focus will be the characters and (I guess) their relationships and personal growth. Hachiman is really interesting, this loner who see the society in the lowest standard possible, he has a lot of inner monologues, it's good to see a deeper characterization in him, though I think he's a bit too mean tbh; Yukino is really interesting also, she sees everyone else down too, but she makes with a prideful look at it, how she's at top of all the dummies, and tbh, I'm liking her a lot, but she's pretty rude, way more than Hachiman, but the gag of her relationship with him and her direct nature give her some charisma; the last one in the trio is Yui, she's a dummy, a part of the mob, someone pretty much normal, she gives some balance in middle of those two cynics with her more lighhearted nature, I like that, and she being sort of a bakadere gives some extra charm.
Also, lol at the burnt hear cookie, and Hachiman eating it in that weird way.

Though a bit choppy at times, I like the artstyle, that more simplistic take it has, specially the color palette in some frames, the music is nice, it doesn't stand out but it fits the tone pretty well, help to set the atmosphere smoothly.
Aug 21, 2020 11:18 AM
Aug 2020
How do i start The episode when i click
IT there apears an imagine and bellow a link to forum
Aug 28, 2020 12:10 AM
Oct 2019
I liked it. When it was just them in the classroom (before cookie girl entered) sitting apart from each other and talking gruffly, it gave me total The Sunset Limited vibes. Which is kind of weird since I didn't really like that play/movie. Lol

Oh, and um, it's pretty easy to correct the error when you burn cookies. Lower oven temp. Shorter bake time. Use a timer. Etc. It's not difficult... At all.
HagePotPotatoAug 28, 2020 8:40 AM
Sep 14, 2020 4:34 PM

Feb 2020
Finally, I'm watching Oregairu ! This show has always been intriguing me due to what people say of it.
I can't say I liked this episode all that much though. The characters are very, very cliche (and Yukino reminds me a lot of Mai Sakurajima... I know Oregairu aired before Bunny Girl Senpai, the problem is simply that I'm not that fond of Mai's character type so I'm kinda worried), they aren't very likable though I guess it's on purpose, and I guess it is gonna be this kind of show where I strongly relate to some aspects and yet don't relate to the characters, creating a kind of uncomfortable feeling... I hope I'm wrong.
At least I quite appreciate Hachiman for now, he's pretty fun.
Sep 30, 2020 1:55 AM

Jun 2020
It was pretty good and at the same time I feel bad for the Main Protagonist(Forgot his name) for being cringy at girls I actually laughed at those scene lol.
Oct 6, 2020 12:17 AM
Oct 2020
I want to have a Movie for the last Because I really want them to get married and have a baby a Happy Family😊😊
Oct 16, 2020 9:58 PM

Apr 2018
pretty good first ep, Hachiman is an interesting character xD
Oct 22, 2020 1:33 PM

Aug 2018
I already like Hikigaya lol

Oct 27, 2020 10:58 AM
Sep 2020
Just finished the first episode and it seems okay at first. I'll watch to see if more happens. Hachiman is really pessimistic and disrespectful at first 😔
Nov 14, 2020 9:18 PM

Jul 2020
That was fine, I think I’m gonna like Yukino and her harsh comments lol.
Dec 3, 2020 3:40 AM

Oct 2019
This episode was a good introduction to the series. Yukino is such a wise girl and Yui is very funny. I'll continue to watch this.
BOŽE ČUVAJ HRVATSKU
Dec 18, 2020 4:24 PM

Sep 2020
Favorite quote. “Bitch please.”
Jan 9, 2021 5:08 PM
Aug 2019
This is a good anime, and I do plan on watching. So awesome.
Apr 27, 2021 11:26 AM
Apr 2021
Where can i find the background tone during the start of season 1?,if anyone has please share.
Jun 24, 2021 8:15 AM
Jun 2020
Best anime I ever watched though it starts getting more and more dramatic.
Jul 2, 2021 3:36 AM
Jan 2021
Rewatching cause it feels like i haven't fully appreciated how good oregairu is and honestly i glad i rewatch it

this first episode is really amazing compared to what i remember back then and i can already tell how amazing and interesting the dialogs are between the mc and yukino
Nov 18, 2021 2:56 PM

Jun 2020
InsertUserHere said:
I like the concept of the show and can definitely see the relations between this and Hyouka (The main reason I put this on my watchlist), but as a character Hikigaya feels too Incel. It just gets on my nerves a touch too much.

Yeah, if 4chan was a person, it would be Hachiman XD. Every one of his "profound" reflections on life could've been ripped word for word from an Incel subreddit. We just need him to blame the state of society on feminists and the Jews and he'd be full bitter internet loser package.

Yukino was the one that rubbed me the wrong way. "Just try harder if you want to be successful like me" she says, demonstrating survivorship bias like a true upper class champ.

But you can't make characters in a cutting, snarky comedy like this one too genuinely nice otherwise the horrible things they say to each other stop being funny. If Hachiman was a sweet, lovely but awkward guy Yukino's remarks would just seen cruel. Fortunately Hachiman is clearly a loner because he is a bit of a twat so we can safely laugh at his misfortune. See the Inbetweeners if you want to see this rule of comedy put to truly masterful use.

In fact all three of them are really quite terrible people but think they are God's gift to the world and everyone else is "weak" or "naive", when in reality they are the ones living life, having fun and making friends.

It's good comedy so far.

But we can see enough of our own egotism, recognise our own petty flaws and foibles in them; that we want them to succeed, we want them to learn and get better because if they can, then we can.
BritishBlitz87Dec 13, 2021 3:46 PM
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Nov 20, 2021 5:30 PM
Nov 2021
This episode has to be the best introduction a series has to offer. I love how well the main characters are introduced through the narrative. So much depth is put into each of the character especially Hachiman and Yukino. We find out right away that Hachiman is a loner and a prideful guy yet he displays rather a rotten attitude and sour personality. He has distorted views on high school life and displays such rotten nature. I love how well emphasized his character. Despite his rotten nature, he displayed some great and positive qualities throughout the episode. He helps Yui realize people simply appreciate being thought of, and the quality of her baking/gift isn't such a big deal. Meanwhile, We learned about yukino's backstory that in elementary, her shoes were stolen from her about 60 times but most are done by the girls due to the fact that she is pretty and popular among the boys. This experience made her realize that people are flawed and they get consumed by jealousy and drives them to bring others down. She mentioned that this is the reason why she aims to change the world and the people in it which is why she decided to join the service club. The characters and their motivation and goals are well established in this episode. I'm excited to see how the story plays out.
Jan 6, 2022 7:58 PM

Jul 2021
Yukino is very modest and mature, well the narration describes how everyone in her class including herself is below average. Hachiman is a pretty unusual character trait I've seen in any romcom because he doesn't get along with anyone like to be genuine, he's a masculine plus he's also conscience I guess except he does need to build up his level of social skills xD Thankfully this episode is more of Hachiman's perspective and the one who is deliberately trying to socialize with girls but due to that rejection in his past, it lead into some barrier to not be able to socialize. Service club is an interesting club to join whenever you have problems socially :P Honestly changing takes time to do so I felt like what Hachiman says was relatable in any socializing situation. Yukino and Hachiman relationship is right off the bat an interesting start of conversation relating to their friendship with others and understanding one another's feeling through rough past times. Yui has such a butterfly personality and she's an absolute heaven feels in the group. Baking cookies must be a difficult task but ganbare Yui, don't give up because talent is still waiting for you and you must try harder! Hachiman really knows how to burn a cookie for sure and his love experience in the past is so hilarious when he wasn't conscience back then. Yukino and Yui's relationship is so adorable and Yui is too nice to give them cookies <3
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 10, 2022 7:39 PM

Feb 2019
Hmmm... it's definitely catchy, I enjoyed the first episode.

The characters seem good so far and I'm suprised they use such vulgar language (but I like it).
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Feb 5, 2022 12:31 PM

Mar 2019
Damn really good introduction, was expecting different VAs for the 3 but I'll get used to this after a while. The opening is amazing, like the ending song as well. Hachiman is interesting, Yukino is also kind of funny at times and Yui is also alright.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jun 26, 2022 3:51 AM
Apr 2022
First episode isn't that good
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

561 by Pancreas08 »»
Apr 12, 5:05 AM

» Where to read LN of yui's story

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 28

6 by Aruhaya »»
Mar 29, 9:49 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2013

239 by phuchaitt3 »»
Mar 18, 9:46 AM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 23, 2013

301 by venbals »»
Mar 15, 12:57 PM

Poll: » Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 2, 2013

375 by CrunchyRoles »»
Mar 7, 10:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.