Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 30, 2008 12:19 AM

Sep 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
OP theme is love.

Niklaus' method of attacking the with the ships was pretty hilarious, though I sense a disturbance in the force with that one. He's either misguided or outright evil, it's hard to tell which for now. Also, the girl at the end of the episode who was upset about losing her turn is super hawt.
May 19, 2009 1:04 AM
Apr 2009
They have to sit on a pole to ride that Buster Machine? That sucks.

And what's with all the panty shots? Too much of a good thing.

I'll admit I didn't know Nono was a robot until this episode.
May 19, 2009 3:25 AM

May 2009
Well, as far as the fan-service shots, I think it was as much homage to the original Gunbuster as anything else.

As far as Nono being a robot, there were indications in the first episode, such as the way her eyes weren't normal, her apparently super strength and the fact that she could survive outside a planet's atmosphere.
May 19, 2009 3:44 PM
Apr 2009
The eyes thing I kind of was reminded of Nyaa, so I let that slide. And the atmosphere thing I realized shortly after replying.
Sep 19, 2009 8:48 PM

Aug 2008
Can't say I'm much of a fan of the OP theme, but I'm loving the show so far. And you can never have too many panty shots! I survived Najica Blitz Tactics. This level of pantsu isn't enough to impress me.
Feb 24, 2010 4:50 AM

Nov 2008
The fanservice is really annoying.. yeah Nono has a nice butt, now leave it.

That being said, this episode was really thrilling mostly because of its awesome fight. It's like a space opera version of FLCL, somehow.
And that dude buster can change the law of physics, I love the craziness and the unrealism of this episode.
May 10, 2010 7:10 PM

Oct 2008
The robot thing was pretty lame. There was zero indication in the first episode that she is a robot. She looks, acts and is treated like a normal human girl and then BAM ROBOT. With the theme of the series and other things happening, i just assumed the eyes and being able to survive in space without any protection were due to some power she had, then in the 2nd episode everyone is calling her a robot like it is the most natural thing in the world...

Poorly done.
May 12, 2010 3:31 PM

Feb 2009
Better than the first episode but I didn't get it, now she/it is a robot? And what's with this ecchi and panty stuff? It's annoying.
May 31, 2010 8:50 PM

Apr 2008
I hate the fanservice :-P.
Jun 12, 2010 6:54 PM

Jul 2009
I personally liked this ep the action was top notch, how Vingt-Sept can control the ships, even change them is pretty mind boggling, the ship designs is total different then your typical space fleet too.

on to the next one
suprhiroJun 12, 2010 10:21 PM
Jun 21, 2010 1:45 PM
Dec 2009
Murbella said:
The robot thing was pretty lame. There was zero indication in the first episode that she is a robot. She looks, acts and is treated like a normal human girl and then BAM ROBOT. With the theme of the series and other things happening, i just assumed the eyes and being able to survive in space without any protection were due to some power she had, then in the 2nd episode everyone is calling her a robot like it is the most natural thing in the world...

Poorly done.

What?! Something wasn't like you had predicted, so it's "poorly done"?

She survive in space and super strength are usually typical of robots in the first place.
Jul 17, 2010 6:08 PM

May 2009
Now this is more like it! Much better than the first episode imo. Vingt Sept's launch with that awesome soundtrack was sweet.
So Nono is a robot, huh? I was wondering why she was so strong and could survive in outer space. The fanservice doesn't really bother me.
Jul 18, 2010 8:22 AM

Jan 2010
TuzoAnime said:
I hate the fanservice :-P.
You can't hate one of the main genres of Aim for the Top... It's like removing the mecha from Gundam...

Those "whale" ships looked more like... never mind, you get it.
Feb 5, 2011 8:01 PM

Aug 2010
She's a robot?

FFFFFFFU-
Feb 28, 2011 11:09 PM
Jul 2008
something about this show...its just so...lively. Animation is top notch, battles are awesome, Nono is awesome. <3 Gainax
Mar 11, 2011 2:28 AM

Oct 2009
Wait shes a robot? DX

And that Buster can turn other ships into animals..interesting..
Apr 8, 2011 10:43 PM
Mar 2009
Wow, so she really is a robot. Guess no hidden powers there.

Liking how we jump right into the action, although these space monsters seem a hell of a lot different than the ones in Gunbuster. I don't remember them shooting lasers in the prior.

That Nikolai's power is seriously making no sense...how the hell is he controlling an entire fleet of ships and turning them literally into sharks?

Girl at the end seems like trouble.
May 25, 2011 2:20 PM

Apr 2009
Werrston said:
Those "whale" ships looked more like... never mind, you get it.

I think I get it and they moved like them too! Except when they opened their mouths... LOL One operator said something about the cyber-whales of the fleet being hacked, I assume that would be the current navigational AI or support system as they used dolphins on the Eltreum in Gunbuster for navigation too.

Murbella said:

Poorly done.

I agree with the points of your argument since I didn't think and expect her to be a robot on the first episode as well, however I didn't find it lame or poorly done.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Aug 10, 2011 1:43 PM

Nov 2009
i could care less that shes a robot. panty shots were really annoying. i expect more from the story here. despite the fanservice in the first gunbuster its story was really strong. nono still pisses me off but the sperm sharks were funny.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2011 5:47 AM

Apr 2011
I never will understand why fanboys object to having jiggling boobs and hot girl-asses put in their face ... and if they do, why they watch a frikkin ECCHI series. It's like watching a Gundam series and complaining about all those stupid giant robots everywhere. Should know what you're getting into before you start it. Gay men or straight women I can understand, but "Waaaah I'm sick of panties" is just silly.

I didn't really like the OP, a bit too long and too much replaying scenes from ep 1.

Stll enjoying this sequel, though it's much different in feel and style than the original. That's how much difference a decade and a half can make I suppose.

Uhm, and btw, why is Jupiter back in its normal spot? I thought they grabbed it out of orbit and shrunk it down to turn into the black hole bomb? Did it come back?
Blind_GuardianSep 20, 2011 6:02 AM
Mar 19, 2012 2:59 PM

Jan 2012
Strong homos in this thread. Either that or you guys have serious reading comprehension problems. OMG THERE'S BOOBS AND FAN SERVICES IN THIS "ECCHII" ANIME? WOW I AM SPEECHLESS, WHY WOULD THEY DO SUCH A THING.

Seriously, just ignore it and get on with your life if you don't like what you see.

Anyways, having extra boobs/ass/panty shots are just eye candy to me. Doesn't affect the show at all; they just make the time goes by faster.

Dem dopamine release = feelsgoodman.jpg
Sep 7, 2012 3:25 AM

Sep 2012
Nice episode. The way they're fighting is crazier than the first series. It was pretty obvious that she's a robot. She survives in space, her eyes are not normal, she got a scary strength.
Jan 29, 2013 1:08 AM

Jul 2008
Didn't see the robot part coming, but it does make sense.

So how do robots get this much free will and personality.
Feb 26, 2013 8:07 AM

Sep 2008
Baka robot got heart :]
~_~ !
Apr 24, 2013 11:30 PM

May 2010
Actually, I find it very amusing that the reveal that she's a robot coincided with an increase of fanservice. Apparently they needed to prove to us that robots can be sexy too :)
“Money can't buy dere”
Dec 6, 2013 10:14 PM

Jan 2010
Topless, joining the Fraternity, expiration date, and the fact it's made after FLCL...I love how blatant Gainax is about all this.
Dec 25, 2013 4:52 PM

Apr 2012
I don't think the robot thing was badly done. It made the first ep's plot suddenly less ridiculous, and the surprise reveal was partly the point.

...the discussion of "what's worse, a robot perv or a lolita perv?" is directed at us, we've all been ogling at the panty shots thinking she was just a yummy young girl (that's something Anno might do).

(Though it being an anime, that doesn't have huge impact on my morals)
BlackoutingDec 25, 2013 4:59 PM
Feb 23, 2014 12:27 AM

Aug 2013
A robot with a heart ha.

Nikolas' buster with his arms crossed launching to space put a smile on my face :D
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jul 9, 2014 10:40 AM

May 2012
Pretty interesting development, I do like the action but well it's still a totally different atmosphere than the first gunbuster, this one feels just strange but also lovely in its own way! I do wonder when this actually happens in the story line, is it between the 12000 years that passed or after that? Well let's see what's next!
Jul 9, 2014 5:18 PM

Oct 2013
haha great episode don't remember seeing ecchi in the tag/genre ???
love the fan service though
great episode I still dont understand how this is a sequel
SHES A ROBOT WTH ???????
I guess that explains a lot XD
[/quote]
Sep 11, 2014 4:09 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
well, the mc being a robot explains a lot, but i still don't understand why she has a beating heart and can feel pain. i hope it gets explained later on.

the fanservice in this episode was nice. i like nicola. good character that one.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Dec 5, 2014 11:15 AM

Sep 2013
Okay, finally I'm caught up with where I was ages ago. I put this on-hold for whatever reason for ages, I'm glad I finally picked it up again.

I love this show just as I loved Gunbuster.
Jan 7, 2016 3:19 PM

Sep 2014
it has its charm so far ^^

PS: the diebustaaaa diebustAAAAAA thing makes me lol
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jul 24, 2016 9:42 AM

Sep 2015
Last episode I was confused as to how Nono survives in space. Maybe I missed it in the first episode (though it seems like others here were confused as well) but we learn here unequivocally that she's a robot. That's kind of interesting, especially as to why a robot would know so much about and be so interested in "No No Ri Ri" whom I still assume is Noriko from Gunbuster. It also allows them to do some exorbitant fan service with our leading lady. I was shaking my head at the sheer gratuity of Nono being washed roughly by Lal'C, and her trying to sneak into the Dix-Neuf and showing her panty clad ass to the world. Still when she's not being used like an exhibitionist Nono is pretty cute and a fun and mysterious lead.

Most of this episode even moreso than the previous was spent establishing the world. We learn the "Topless" the race who pilot the Busters and wear FLCLesque head bandages to control their power the rest of the time are hated and feared by the world at large. We learn they were originally from Earth which is not actually destroyed or uninhabitable. And we meet the rest of our cast of Buster pilots including scheming pretty boy Nicola and adorable little hothead Tycho. While either out of anger or looking out for her own interests it seems Lal'C doesn't want Nono around, the rest of the team is interested by her and what connection she might hold with the busters.

This is a kind of basic conflict and makes this one of the weaker episodes but I still really enjoyed it. It gets a lot of things in motion very efficiently, and paints a pretty vivid and exciting world for us. The ending to the episode is also yet another exciting mech battle. While Lal'C is being interrogated over her actions (in a slickly frustrating bureaucracy tinged plotline that was reminiscent to me to the end of TTGL) uchuu kaijuu show up and surround the military and topless. So the sham of bureaucracy is unceremoniously dumped in the face of real conflict. The smug military officers impotent rage was pretty beautiful.

The fight itself is a pretty fun one that utilized all of our new characters and showed us some cool new abilities. I particularly liked Nicola's and how it dispatched the kaijuu was pretty clever. It seems like every episode will have at least one pretty exciting fight and I'm very much in favor of this. My favorite part of this one however, was actually after the fight had ended. I liked seeing Nono and Lal'C coming together to fight the threat which drew immediate comparisons to Amano and Noriko in Episode 5 and 6 of Gunbuster. If we're already getting to stuff like this it seems this show might have even crazier places to take us by the end. What I really enjoyed and has stuck with me since though, is the final lingering shot after the fight. Nono and Lal'C exhausted and spent leaning into one another in the cockpit. The beautiful yellow orange surface of Mars is visible beneath them, and Lal'C leans in to discover Nono actually as a heartbeat. This scene was pure bliss, and if it's meant to be a set up for a paradise lost where have all the good times gone thing later I'd say it's earned it.

I'm still liking this series even more than Gunbuster. It's funnier, more exciting, has superior aesthetics. Again none of this is exactly fair to Gunbuster but it's still where we stand. It doesn't help I am completely in love with the OP and ED they're among two of my favorites.
Sep 16, 2016 3:02 PM

Feb 2015
I was wrong about everything being simple for its year, a robot that does everything a human can seems pretty good, unless she has more hidden power ups then even better!

That OP though... soo good.

Comander-07 said:

Dec 1, 2016 2:45 PM

Aug 2014
So Lal'C would had prefered spending time killing monsters with her crush rather than save the lives of others? This girl definitely got her priorities all fucked up. Nono one some cool points from me for knocking some sense into her.

And lol at the Captain still talking shit even after being saved.

The OP song is bitchin' if I might add... it's just a shame that the visuals aren't up to par.
Jul 4, 2019 3:40 AM

Aug 2017
Loving it so far. Diebuster is totally different from its predecessor, but who said that it should be the same? I'm just happy that I can see Kazuya Tsurumaki's take on the genre and compare it to Hideaki Anno's style. The pacing of the story is still similar to Gunbuster, though - the power up first episode followed by an introduction to the main location of the series and the rest of the cast, and an important mission that our new heroes have to accomplish.
Also, it feels like the show has a bit of a yuri bait, to be honest, and I like it. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Kunihiko Ikuhara storyboarded this episode, and Yoji Enokido wrote the script for the whole thing. I lol'd at the fact that Lal'C and Nono need to sit on a pole while Nicola just has a normal seat.
St0rmbladeJul 4, 2019 4:37 AM
Jan 6, 2020 12:25 PM

Mar 2017
So many panty shots. Not that I'm complaining :3

Actually really enjoying this. Definitely a lot of fun so far.
Mar 24, 2020 1:25 PM

Jun 2015
So the space monsters work similar to Gunbuster too. And more Gainax-ecchi in this episode.
Mar 24, 2020 1:26 PM

Jun 2015
Comander-07 said:
it has its charm so far ^^

It's more ridiculous than the Gunbusteeeeeeer
May 1, 2021 8:08 AM
Apr 2021
This episode is where you realize that the dude who directed FLCL directed this too lmfao.

how tf does anyone comprehensively understand the plot on first-go?
Jul 14, 2021 10:52 PM

Aug 2018
Lot of whiners in this thread, you’d think they’d be pleased Nono kept her shirt on. That Captain of the fleet sure was an asshole.
Apr 20, 2022 5:00 PM

Dec 2018
extremely bored and easily distracted, have to watch over again.
May 6, 2022 6:59 AM

Mar 2020
The reveal that Nono is a robot was honestly really well done. I thought all the silly, over-the-top stuff like with Nono breaking everything in half and being able to perform the lighting kick was just part of the visual styling, but I like that there’s a fun little explanation to justify the contrivances.

That being said, I don’t think mecha is for me. Robots are cool. Fighting is cool, but giant robots/machines fighting is just the most boring shit ever. There isn’t a whole lot of room for ingenuity or intrigue when the extent of a mecha’s arsenal is just punching, kicking, skewering, firing lasers, shooting missiles or using a detached piece of terrain as a weapon. I’m probably still gonna see this one through, though I’m sad that the second work I’ve seen of Kinozuya Basedumaki is disappointing right out the gate.
Jul 1, 2022 7:21 PM

Feb 2021
Other than appreciating the nice animation I thought this was really boring
Nov 20, 2023 11:21 AM

Nov 2014
It's hard not to get bad Eva Rebuild vibes from this series, the way it re-uses the iconic imagery of the original Gunbuster but completely removed from its original emotional context is so disappointing - like in this episode when the two buster machines initially fly off to fight the space monster and they circle around eachother as glowing lights in the same way that Noriko and Kazumi did at the end of the last episode of Gunbuster. What is gained by taking that iconic image from the original work and shoving it into such a meaningless scene, other than making nerds go "Wow! I recognized that!"? It just makes it harder to respect Diebuster, because it feels like such mindless pandering.
Dec 20, 2023 5:08 PM

Jun 2021
This shit is FLCL in space, i approve it automatically, no complaint
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH

More topics from this board

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

MK - Aug 12, 2008

147 by Jacktwelve17 »»
Jan 5, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 5 Discussion

Veethorn - May 15, 2010

27 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 4 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Sep 19, 2009

48 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:00 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Aug 20, 2009

37 by Adriannitro »»
Dec 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Poll: » Top wo Nerae! 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

naikou - Sep 29, 2008

56 by OneMoreFinal »»
Nov 20, 2023 10:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.