Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 28, 2008 1:15 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, I just started on Ashita no Joe, which coincidentally came out the same year as Rocky. Is this win or fail? Looks cool, in a manly sort of way.
Dec 29, 2009 10:04 PM
Oct 2009
i already know im going to love this series, when joe had his little brawl
Dec 7, 2010 4:30 PM

Jul 2008
Loved Hajime no Ippo and am gagging for anymore boxing anime, of which there are few. Hopefully this will keep me happy.
Mar 18, 2011 5:54 PM
Feb 2011
MK said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, I just started on Ashita no Joe, which coincidentally came out the same year as Rocky. Is this win or fail? Looks cool, in a manly sort of way.

thats false, actually. Ashita no Joe came out in 1968 and Rocky came out in 1976, if anything, Rocky borrowed from Joe. I like joe better anyway, hes not stupid, just.. really violent. maybe the anime adaption of Ashita no Joe came out the same year as rocky but the manga was long concluded by then.
Dec 20, 2011 7:17 PM

May 2010
Wow, what an excellent first episode! It looks much better than other anime from the same time period, even the original Lupin III doesn't look as good to me, and this definitely beats the shit out of Devilman! And it looks like this was a year before them too. Now I truly understand why Osamu Dezaki is a legend.

I am pretty amused by the whistling though. Whoever is doing the whistling sounds really good, to the point that it doesn't even sound real. Like seriously, people are talking and it sounds poor but you get used to it because anime didn't seem to have good recording technology in those days, and then this whistle comes out of nowhere and it sounds twice as loud and so fantastic. I hope there's whistling in every episode!
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 5, 2014 10:37 PM

Mar 2012
Dam talk about old school animation/sound :o For such an old anime though the action isn't half bad, can't wait to see how it looks when he's boxing in the ring. Decided to check Ashita no Joe because I need my boxing anime fix while I wait for Hajime no Ippo: Rising to finish airing and also because it was mentioned a few times in Bakuman xD
May 17, 2014 4:38 AM

Jun 2012
Joe was totally looking for a fight, so I guess he got what he wanted, haha
What better way to earn some cash than to harness the urge to fight through boxing, eh? This, I can tell, is going to be a fun watch indeed.

I really want to see how this compares to Hajime no Ippo, as it proceeds it. Animation is gritty, sound effects and voices are quite harsh (as in too loud) at times, but it's bearable. But anyway, Joe is one cool hipster with his orange baker boys hat and his long black hair half-covering one eye, hahaha. Onto episode 2!!
Jul 2, 2014 7:59 AM

Jun 2009
I honestly didn't like this episode very much at all. Joe seems alright though, so I'll keep on watching. I'll give it a few more episodes I guess.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 23, 2014 9:31 AM

Nov 2013
Really digging the animation, Joe is a super likeable dude too.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jan 6, 2015 11:59 AM

Aug 2013
I really enjoyed how dynamic the fights felt
May 4, 2015 1:54 AM

Mar 2011
I'm already loving this series and it's just the first episode.
Aug 4, 2015 7:00 AM
Nov 2014
Decent first episode, Joe is so cool so far. The animation is great for 70s show o.o, very surprising XD. Danpei is abit of a yandere tho, that boxing obsession though.
Aug 13, 2015 1:23 AM

Jul 2011
Joe is damn cool. And he whistles like a boss!
He seems quite intelligent, but also like a mischievous kid who has reached teenage years and is rebelling. I like his personality.

I love the animation, mostly the action bits. It's minimal of course (being all done by hand), but it shows the movement quite well. And there aren't many still-frames. Plus it's early 70s, which makes it all that more impressive. (Beautiful stuff like this wouldn't fly nowadays though. >>)

The audio doesn't really match the lips, but I love the dialogue anyway. It feels so old school and less dumbed-down-so-you-can-follow-along. Also fits waay more content with the pacing. ^^
MirorinAug 13, 2015 1:30 AM
Oct 8, 2015 8:51 PM

Nov 2012
Oldest anime I've seen to date so hope the animation won't be too dated (seems to be fine when it comes to action/fighting scenes).Audio slightly bugs me but I'll get use to it.

They seemed to have skipped the fight Joe had with the random street tough in the beginning of the manga though guess it wasn't that important.

Also Sachi's voice=annoying as shit.
Feb 27, 2016 12:32 AM

Apr 2013
Great first episode, this looks like it's going to be a enjoyable watch.
Apr 14, 2016 5:03 AM

Jun 2014
I enjoyed it. I genuinely like the comedy elements so far which is a rarity for me. Liking Joe so far as well, but Danpei annoys me a bit. The animation isn't off putting. It's old naturally, but it has a gritty feel to it and it aged reasonably well. The sound though, especially the voices, can be quite loud at times though.

Looking forward to the rest and seeing Joe in the actual ring and more interactions with the kids.
Apr 28, 2016 6:59 AM
Feb 2015
loving everything about it so far
Sep 20, 2016 2:22 PM

Feb 2013
Joe was too much for those thugs.
Danpei saw something in him, and he's absolutely right, he is super strong.
He is in danger now though, he's old and being hit like isn't good at all, he will impress Joe.
Jun 23, 2017 9:37 AM

Nov 2016
The time has finally come to give this a shot, considering that I'm a big Ippo fan and it was one of my very first anime this is long overdue.

Liked the first episode, nothing spectacular, though. But since this is a pretty long show I'm sure it has a lot of potential to be an amazing ride, looking forward to it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 29, 2017 7:12 AM

Jul 2015
Pretty good first episode, Joe is a cool guy.
Sep 11, 2017 12:54 PM

May 2016
Hopefully this show can be good as Hajime no Ippo.
Sep 11, 2017 6:07 PM
Jun 2017
Raizel said:
This show shits on Ippo.
Sep 12, 2017 1:13 AM

May 2016
Rediter2 said:
Raizel said:
This show shits on Ippo.
Really I hope so as well.
Mar 16, 2018 12:23 AM

Jul 2016
God... it looks so old. But I still love it <3
May 1, 2018 3:44 PM

Apr 2013
This looks old as fuck, but for some reason I feel like watching more of it.
May 20, 2018 9:26 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Nice first episode, where the best was the atmosphere, the dark atmosphere, corrupted!!!
Sep 5, 2018 3:06 PM

Apr 2014
one of the best first episodes ive seen. started a couple days ago and already great
Sep 8, 2018 1:53 AM

Mar 2017
Like probably many others, I watched this because I liked parts of Megalo Box and thoroughly enjoyed the other big boxing anime Hajime no Ippo a lot.

So far this looks very old school, but I don't mind the old animation. I never thought that a dirty, drunk hobo would be the most likeable character, but I heard that Joe will undergo a lot of development, so I am looking forward to that! This episode had some funny moments and some serious ones, but I have to say the excessive whistling kind of got on my nerves. I already find whistling annoying in real life, but hearing it in awful sound quality is kinda grating.

I will watch the next couple episodes and decide whether it's worth watching until the end. So far I can't really judge it yet from only one episode. But rest assured, I have seen a lot worse anime out there!
May 29, 2019 8:04 AM

Dec 2016
Ok, it is technically flawed and not particularly nuanced or realistic at times. However, there are small details about the animation that pleased me. It's really entertainig to see how such an old piece of audiovisual media still beats most current anime as far as movement is concerned. There was still compromise with the word animation, however lacking the final result could end up being. Coming from the future to say Joe is a great character. Overall, a promising start to a series that grows on you like few do.

3/5
Jun 27, 2019 3:34 PM

Jul 2016
Great first episode. That old man is weird, but his motives are understandable as far as I'm concerned. I like the old classic character designs Anime had and it shows in this one, feels less generic than what today's Anime offer. The soundtrack was nice. Great episode.
Sep 30, 2019 1:10 PM
Aug 2019
Yabuki Joe kicks the crap out of the Onihime Group

But in the end Tangei Danpe has to protect him
Mar 11, 2020 9:31 PM

Feb 2019
This is the first anime in which I cried watching the first Ep, from here on I know that this anime will be a masterpiece
Aug 19, 2021 12:01 PM

Jan 2019
(English) Here is the first episode of this long saga. Ashita no Joe to have much to teach.
I hope he and Danpei escape this problem...

------------

(Portuguese) Eis o primeiro episódio desta longa saga. Ashita no Joe para ter muito ao que ensinar.
Espero que ele e Danpei escapem deste problema...
Oct 24, 2021 2:47 PM

May 2018
Lol the old man has the feel feels for Joe
Mar 25, 2022 2:18 PM
Mar 2021
I am writting this to the people who just want to watch who else has seen the anime lol
Mar 27, 2022 4:50 PM

Dec 2021
CurioCurious said:
I am writting this to the people who just want to watch who else has seen the anime lol

I fit in that group, having watched Ashita no Joe, and the sequel. It's incredibly gripping, and while I won't spoil anything, you may be hooked even before this point, but I got completely hooked by episode 20, to the point I put every other anime I was watching on-hold.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Sep 5, 2022 4:19 AM

Jun 2020
Well. It's old so there are some tropes and stereotypes. The sound did not age well. But overall, it was solid. Good. Can't wait for it to get better and become the masterpiece people claim for it to be.

Nov 18, 2022 9:06 PM

Feb 2022
I liked the beginning and how Joe already shows his conceited personality and his monstrous strength
 I'm not a critic or anything like that but I like to give my opinion

Jan 8, 2023 12:49 AM

Oct 2015
There really is a certain charm in classics. I wonder why I didn't watch this until now? This was the anime that gave birth to many sports anime. Megalo Box was even a tribute to this beautiful classic. It took me long to finally watch this, but I believe there is no such thing as "too late" in watching anime. There's a "right time" for everyone. Now is my right time for Ashita no Joe. :)

Btw this anime is a month older than my mom. :')
   HuaLian <3
Apr 16, 2023 9:14 AM

Jan 2013
Sound quality aside it was a decent start.
You can already see Joe's cocky behaviour and how Danpei is so desperate to finally achieve his dreams through Joe's strength.

*Fun fact - I actually decided to start watching it because of a spoiler in "Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru"
Jul 8, 2023 2:16 PM

May 2021
Art style is pretty good actually for its age 
It hasn’t aged badly 
Inhales oxygen
Jul 15, 2023 11:21 PM
Feb 2021
Even though it's damn near 60 years old, the animation is still pretty great.

The voice acting, though, fuck it's goddamn terrible. It makes since because mics were actual garbage back then, but fuck
Jul 16, 2023 2:18 AM

Dec 2021
Baskarite said:
The voice acting, though, fuck it's goddamn terrible. It makes since because mics were actual garbage back then, but fuck

Blame the DVD release. For some reason, the DVD release has some of the worst audio imaginable, like they used that one background noise removal tool in Audacity, but with the strength set too high. Nobody (last time I checked) has synchronized the Wowow TV 1080p remaster (Allegedly 4k, because Ashita no Joe is one of those rare anime with 35mm masters, but I can't find anything higher than 1080p) with Saizen's subs, but I'd recommend getting episode 1 of that release, just so you could see what the audio is actually supposed to sound like. You get the bonus of seeing what Ashita no Joe looks like in 1080p.
Daviljoe193Jul 16, 2023 2:28 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Nov 7, 2023 8:44 PM
Sep 2016
First time I watched this was like 2016. I was really disappointed. I had read and like the manga and just saw the anime as a cheap imitation. A bunch of poor still frames and low quality. I dropped halfway through episode 1.

I must have been utterly and absolutly blind. Not only does this show look really good but there's a lot of good animation and style too. In no way is it boring enough to turn off like i did the first time. It just really draws you in.
Nov 7, 2023 8:59 PM

Dec 2021
Cam1922 said:
First time I watched this was like 2016. I was really disappointed. I had read and like the manga and just saw the anime as a cheap imitation. A bunch of poor still frames and low quality. I dropped halfway through episode 1.

I must have been utterly and absolutly blind. Not only does this show look really good but there's a lot of good animation and style too. In no way is it boring enough to turn off like i did the first time. It just really draws you in.

Since it's out now, make sure you're watching the Wowow TV version, since it's a proper HD remaster of the original (Meaning the film negatives were rescanned, and it's now in a crystal clear 1080p), and it looks and sound phenomenal compared to the tin can audio of the DVD release people watched before. Just look up Akeyl on Nyaa, you'll find it.

Daviljoe193Nov 7, 2023 9:07 PM
Nov 8, 2023 4:53 AM
Sep 2016
Reply to Daviljoe193
Cam1922 said:

Since it's out now, make sure you're watching the Wowow TV version, since it's a proper HD remaster of the original (Meaning the film negatives were rescanned, and it's now in a crystal clear 1080p), and it looks and sound phenomenal compared to the tin can audio of the DVD release people watched before. Just look up Akeyl on Nyaa, you'll find it.

@Daviljoe193

Oh thanks for the recommendation! I think the one I was watching is the old DVD release (which looks fine enough for me lol) but an updated HD version seems nice. I'll check it out! TYSM <3
Dec 31, 2023 5:36 PM

Jan 2011
Daviljoe193 said:
The advantage of me taking so long to get to this.
Jan 11, 11:06 AM
Dec 2022
this episode is so "after war-japan" vibes
and joe reminds me el chavo del 8, just perfect👌
Feb 28, 11:53 PM

Jul 2021
An anime i have had my eyes on for some time, Ashita no Joe. After starting Hajime no Ippo which im still watching and really enjoying i wanted more anime about boxing and with Ashita no Joe on my list i decided to start it and im not disappointed.

The intro with Joe just walking around and whistling was amazing. His whisle in general is amazing. Danpei the former boxer now drunken man is also quite cool. I like how after he saw Joes punch he wanted to train him and have him become a boxer. Joe showing off his skill is nice.

The end brawl of the episode was great it really shows Joes power and the potential he has to become a great boxer. I also like the aniamtion its pretty solide.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Karusan - Nov 22, 2011

71 by johneaston »»
Apr 12, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 25 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 15, 2014

15 by adoedem »»
Apr 6, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 69 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 17, 2014

17 by berzherk_ »»
Apr 2, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 40 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

21 by Marie333 »»
Mar 23, 6:01 AM

Poll: » Ashita no Joe Episode 50 Discussion

Avenger-senpai - Feb 16, 2014

27 by KitsuFrost »»
Mar 3, 12:58 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.