Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 2, 2016 4:39 PM

Jun 2013
Goddamn, that was depressing!
Seeing Kamiile at the end like that legit gave me chills!
It definitely had a few bumps and subpar episodes! But i can definitely see why many regard this as the best in the entire Gundam series
10/10 Easily!
Dec 10, 2016 2:29 PM
Dec 2008
Zeta gundam be like: lol we still got 15 named characters left, better kill them all off in the last 3 episodes
Jan 10, 2017 9:41 AM
Apr 2016
Seabury said:
Wow, they pulled out a pretty rare card here. I've only seen a "main character goes insane" ending a few times, but every time, it gives me the fucking goosebumps. It's way more unsettling to me than a final death, because at least that has some sense of closure to it. This was beautifully poetic too, with the themes of the cyber-newtypes reflected in Kamille's fate, and great foreshadowing when he opened his helmet a few episodes ago.

Of course, I can guess why everyone hates zz now. I'm willing to bet they turn Kamille into a comedic character, pretty much ruining the end of this show. Ah well, now on to zz to see for myself if it's as bad as they say...

"It's way more unsettling to me than a final death, because at least that has some sense of closure to it. This was beautifully poetic too, with the themes of the cyber-newtypes reflected in Kamille's fate, and great foreshadowing when he opened his helmet a few episodes ago."

This is a good point. Even though he killed Jerid, he didn't seem relieved or anything. Emma and Katz's death must have done him in, along with Roccoa and Captain H.

Monad said:
stAtic91 said:
Everyone dying for the win.

I was quite disappointed with this anime, especially after hearing how amazing it's supposed to be.
It was too slow for me and I just couldn't get into it. I didn't really like any of the characters or the plot, and felt like most episodes were just random, uninteresting fights between the A.E.U.G and Titans.

This!!

Seriously this show doesn't even come close to the first series.
I don't really care about the ending but the new characters where not good enough with many of them being obnoxious most of the time (and imagine i didn't even like the characters of the first series but suddenly they seemed golden in-frond of this guys), the newtype psycho bullshit reached new levels of stupidity in this one and the worst was the randomness. Fights seemed to unfold out of nowhere making you think you missed something on the previews episode or you skipped an episode. The story wasn't progressive at all. It just jumped from one event to the other just like that and the most stupid thing is that despite the whole jumping around and throwing fights, the show still seemed many times to be boring and slow.

I also want to say that Z Gundam has an ugly face and that the opponents this time were completely uninspired. Only that Scirocco guy looked to have some potential but it was never realized. The war it self was just a messy nothing. When fighting with Zeon you knew what it was all about. Now they kind of seem to be fighting just because they had to made another season.

There were definitely a lot of episodes where if you didn't watch the last few seconds of every episodes (the next episode previews/transitions), you would find yourself confused. I found myself confused because I skipped them and just went to the next episode, even though I knew they included a lot of new information/cutscenes.

Overall, a pretty good series. A lot of action. I was surprised to see Char get so much screentime, whereas Amuro is left on earth. I watched Gundam Unicorn RE96 and I gotta say, I liked it better. Zeta was pretty good though. I discussed on Reddit Roccoa's motivations and the fans over there clarified a lot.

The first 25 or so episodes of Zeta were the best imo. The middle section was good, and the ending arcs were... idk, they could have moved in a more decisive direction.
Jan 10, 2017 12:45 PM

Dec 2015
@Allen750 I started to skip the episode previews after a few episodes, when it was clear that they were always announcing most major events. What kind of new information or scenes were they including?

edit @Allen750 : Oh, I see. Then I didn't miss anything. Indeed, the brief "recaps" at the beginning featured on several occasions informations not depicted in the episodes or "explaining" things like "then they went to..." or "Camille, realizing that ..., decided to..." etc (the second type being often useful to make more sense of what had been seen in the previous episode). I noticed a few post-credits scenes, but not so much: most of the time, the footage featured after the ending was a "spoilery" next-episode-preview.

Anyway, at least it made you ready to endure all those "WHAT?!" you might think watching ZZ. (and to all the unssaid things in the saga's theatrical finale).

About Char and Amuro, I think that both of them ended up getting the time they needed to build them up. Amuro simply needed far less than Char, having received a pretty good treatment in 0079.

@RafaelDeJongh Unless you want to watch a TV show hosted by Char, skip the first episode of ZZ. It even throws at you scenes from the 2nd épisode (the real first épisode)

@mshea1213 I can't. I personally disliked the shift from war drama with enough background politics and a touch of soap-opera (0079 or Origin manga) to this big soap-opera with a civil war background and quasi-inexistant politics (I was always angry to see that we didn't get anything about the forces etc for episodes).And the prevalence of the soap element was sadly the winning recipe: after that, no Gundam went back to a more 0079-like formula. Even SEED who "modernized" the original came with this ramped up to higher levels.
In the end, the best aspect was that the hero matured a bit but never gave up his will no matter how many times hekept failing. Up to lose itself when winning the war.

@ezaya Maybe because it tried several interesting things (with some bad attempts, of course, and the whole problem of basic story construction). Maybe because it was the most popular one (although the 0079 series/movies have probably touched a more general/larger audience in their days). Maybe because Char is a good guy and the mentor in this one? (feel free to propose your own ideas ;) )
I put a relatively high score because I decided to value its merits above all its problems but I personally disliked th ebig change of focus between this series and its predecessor (but it was a bold move, so it is sort of a quality)

December 23, 2018
HibiChika said:
did kamille actually go blind lol? way to cripple amuro v2 for life...

No, he couldn't stand to fail no matter how much he tried to the point he started to lose his mind during this battle (as seen with the helmet). And then Sirocco put the final hit to his mental health through some ESP attack, reducing him to a vegetable. You'll see next episode (ZZ ep2, since ep1 is a summary+quizz+preview)
Did you really see Camille as a 2nd Amuro? (I thought he was quite different and his own type of character)

August 9, 2019
@zoristtot It's so conforting to read those words after I read things about how unengaging the original White Base crew including Amuro were.
The difference between this mess of a "story" and 0079 is probably that the first Gundam was more of a team work while the sequel was way more controlled by Tomino himself.

September 17, 2019
@blessofcurse Katz was a "trash" as an actual person (and "trash" persons exist) but as a character was used very well by the series, especially in the way the creator chose to terminate him (through his end and his survival before, the "lesson" was greatly portrayed). Reccoa's character would have been better perceived if Tomino wasn't as clumsy to depict certain things.

October 13, 2019
@DazeFire So, what's the best part of the UC saga? 0079 or 0096?
Have a good time with ZZ, yes it's not good but at least some interesting ideas were thrown in it and some episodes were genuinely good (not a great achievement, I admit).
Rei_IIIOct 11, 2019 4:02 AM
Jan 10, 2017 2:49 PM
Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
@Allen750 I started to skip the episode previews after a few episodes, when it was clear that they were always announcing most major events. What kind of new information or scenes were they including?

I couldn't tell you, I skipped them too. Let's see, they were a 30-second intro-recap, and a 30-second transition/preview clip at the end, so that's about 1 minute per episode X 50, so about 50 solid minutes of wtf-just happened.

Gundam 00 did the same thing, like a 1-2 minutes of extra scenes after the credits... totaling 50-60 minutes of missed all-new material.

Whoops. Oh well. There's more anime than I can watch in a lifetime, welp.
Mar 2, 2017 3:09 PM

May 2012
Really epic ending if you ask me! This sure was intense as hell, really do wonder what the next season in this franchise will have to offer, but for this season it sure was a hell of a ride!

While it started quite slow, and rather boring, after episode 15 it sure got a lot better all of the sudden!

In general a great watch of this quite classic Gundam series!

@Rei366

Thanks for the info, however I never skip episodes ;)
RafaelDeJonghMar 3, 2017 5:08 AM
Apr 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Dec 2007
What a ride. Splendid ending.
Jul 31, 2017 1:45 AM
Oct 2011
BOY GODDAMN DAT ENDING THO
Aug 31, 2017 6:09 PM

Jul 2016
So ends this 50 episode journy. The show started off so damn good and at first my expectations were exceeded. Then the show started to go in the direction of personal relationships and that's basically was the main part of the show.. and yikes.

The characters were petulant brats and it's bad that I enjoyed the majority of the protagonists getting offed more than the antagonists.

I'm surprised how well loved this show is; I just did not see it. Mobile Suit Gundam was far more superior to Zeta.

I feel bad because the majority of my posts were mostly negative throughout the show. A lot of the posters on here really gave some thought on what was going on with the show.. while I complained.. but can you blame me?

Anyway, I give the show 6 out of 10. Now onto ZZ Gundam.. watch me like this emphmis show more :).
Nov 4, 2017 9:07 AM

Nov 2011
Tomino's flock has not yet been arrested, but in the end somebody has escaped to it or almost.
Anime series interesting, I never bored during her vision.
Nov 25, 2017 3:59 AM
Aug 2017
10/10!!!!!!!! This show is ZETA AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
Feb 7, 2018 8:43 PM

May 2015
Really liked the decision to make the protagonist of the series mad after all of he did, witnessed, plus his new power & bad guy last attack(?) but I can give this show a pass for the lack of coherent story in the sense that characters did irrational things in the middle of combat (I know humans tend to think with emotions and not with their minds) and not pay the consequences (that is until espoused 49) plus they left so much out of the table (Haman & Char relationship, Origin of some of the Cyber-newtype and many more things left unanswered)… having said that I contradict myself and I did give this show a pass because it was made way back (1985) and it has an splendid art those things made me not drop my score lower.
May 2, 2018 11:05 AM

Jan 2013
I enjoyed it way more than mobile suit gundam. Which I enjoyed a fair bit.

R.I.P. Apolly and Roberto.

Will never be forgotten.
May 11, 2018 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
I don't see why those people are saying this is the best Gundam series of all.

4/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2018 12:39 AM

Aug 2010
The ending felt strangely fitting in the way it ended on a blank note with no "epilogue" of any kind - there's Fa towing the two Gundams' remains back to the ship, with tragic music playing in the background - and THE END, that's it. The seeming "emptiness" of it felt almost sublime, frankly. The sight of Kamille opening his visor and trying to get out, coupled with Fa's shocked and tearful reaction, made me think the scene was more symbolic i.e. Kamille had died and what the audience was seeing was actually the sight of his now-relieved soul trying to "go into the light" or such (In fact, my crazy theory was that
However, this was before I started off on ZZ just hours later, where coincidentally enough,
MisterGibbonMay 22, 2018 1:08 AM
May 22, 2018 6:40 PM

Feb 2012
This anime was messing, and I took many breaks in watching all 50 episodes. This was such a messy production that it would be justly ridiculed if anything like it came out today. That's why I'm so amazed that Zeta Gundam is so highly regarded. From reading the comments, it sounds like this anime delivers for people who were able to connect to the characters and events, and was a painful watch for those who didn't. Watching this anime has given me a much greater understanding about the divisions within the Gundam fan-base, and that Gundam means different things to different people.

Kamille pretty much became a soul vampire at the end there, who apparently became the authority of life and death. It was surprisingly fitting to see him end up the way he did. I didn't care for Kamille much as both a person and a pilot, so I'm actually happy that he wasn't able to overtake Amuro's Kill count from the One Year War even though Kamille had more episodes to work with. Kamille and Zeta Gundam had the same problem of too much unrealized potential.

Amuro Ray Kill Count:
0 kills this episode
8 kills this war
85 kills total

Kamille Bidan Kill Count:
1 Kill this episode
71 Kills total

Gundam Ace Rankings:
1. Amuro Ray, 85 kills
2. Kamille Bidan, 71 kills
Aug 21, 2018 6:59 AM

Mar 2016
This was a beautifully tragic ending that really makes sense considering the carnage that led up to it. As for the series as a whole, I was never really found any of the characters relatable or endearing. Kamille grew a lot though, and I ended up liking him when I was skeptical at first. After Haman shows up the plot goes into blitzkrieg mode, and this is a pretty fast paced series to begin with. I think I would need to rewatch, or at least read up, to really understand Kamille's character as it seemed like there's something there I may have missed. The stuff with the power of the dead may have been interesting, and perhaps it was a little emotionally powerful, but it felt somewhat out of place.

Thematically, it really expanded on what we see in 0079. This was war may even be more meaningless and it's even more brutal (the gas attacks, etc.) I really liked it, but I don't love it. It improved a lot in various departments over the first series, but it also lacked something. Overall an entertaining experience and you can totally see the impact it had on the industry.

The mobile suit designs are absolutely incredible.

syncrogazerNov 18, 2018 9:54 AM
Nov 19, 2018 5:50 PM

Nov 2016
I was intrigued and hyped for this show at the beginning, but it lost a lot of steam during the middle section, was too slow paced for me, with hardly any plot development, many important infos were casually dropped here and there, and it took me months to get through these episodes.

Luckily I got my motivation back eventually. The last quarter and it became one hell of a ride, especially these final episodes.

The cast was fine too, I really like how human they were. Flawed humans, one part I like about Gundam.

Initially I wanted to go with a 6/10, the way things wrapped up was pretty cool , tho and I can't ignore such an impactful ending. Therefore 7/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 24, 2018 12:40 PM

Feb 2017
What a depressing ending. Really bummed that Emma died and I feel really sorry for Kamillie after all he went through. He didn't deserve this.

I quite enjoyed this series, tho so many of characters were so stupid and annoying.
Dec 23, 2018 3:57 AM

Jan 2013
wait did kamille actually go blind lol? way to cripple amuro v2 for life...
Dec 23, 2018 11:57 AM

May 2014
HibiChika said:
wait did kamille actually go blind lol? way to cripple amuro v2 for life...

No. Kamille didn't go blind. He was driven mad by Scirocco. His mind is gone.
Aug 8, 2019 12:50 PM

Jul 2019
While I really like the pessimistic ending, with Kamille losing his mind after all the carnage he couldn't prevent, the rest of this show was a badly written mess. It was incoherent, repetitive, unimaginative, annoying, and really really boring.

0079 had its problems, but it was way more engaging: it had likeable characters so every death was tragic (instead I just cheered every time a named character died in Zeta), it wasn't a simplistic good vs evil story so even minor enemy deaths felt gut wrenching, Amuro's brattiness made complete sense as he was just a kid under too much pressure (unlike Kamille, Fa or Katz who became pilots for no good reason), and combat was better choreographed and felt more meaningful and dangerous (even if Amuro was too OP most of the times). It was a much better show than Zeta.

4/10.
Sep 17, 2019 6:16 AM

Jun 2014
Very flawed series. Inconsistent characters. Plot armors. Overused drama.
Well I think it's still good for 80's anime, I enjoyed watching this and never get bored.
Emma probably was the best character. Reccoa and Katz were trash.

6/10
Time to watch some other Gundam series. The Origin maybe.
blessofcurseSep 18, 2019 12:39 AM
Oct 9, 2019 8:24 AM

Apr 2014
well just like any ending for any gundam series it just ends after the batter with not much else said and thats one thing i'll always hate about gundam period

with that said zeta was good but my god all the cyber new types was annoying as it was always the same type of shit with each one and imo it killed my hype for zeta period went from loving it to getting really annoyed with it

with that said in the end the only one i was hoping not to die was Fa as imo she was one of the better characters in zeta despite her not getting as much screen time as i would have liked her to have

but yeah all in all zeta was good but a good amount of it was BS also was nice to have had amuro back in as every part with his was amazing really hoping for more of him soon

imo the original gundam is still the best of the U.C gundam series imo as zeta could have taken that but my god there was just to much dumb shit in zeta to take the place of the original well no i still find Unicorn to be the best of the U.C gundam as i have seen it before and loved every bit of it but yeah

heres hoping ZZ is good even though i heard a lot of people say should just skip but ill give it a watch regardless
"one step at a time"
Mar 19, 2020 11:25 AM
Oct 2015
Apart from being superior in all technical sides, this series is no way closer to Gundam 79.
Like I said, the animation and music were good. Gundam designs were also fabulous.

But geez, characters?! Most of 'em suck ass. Whiny little bitch-asses. And there was a fuck load of 'em. The only character besides the old ones who I cared was Emma. Scirocco and Haman were good though.
Fucking hate Rosamia, Sarah, Fa, Katz, Jerrid and Kamille. Couldn't bear any one of 'em. Kamille was somewhat bearable in the last few episodes. Why would they create the female characters to be so bitchy and annoying?! I don't get it.

Only watched it for Char, Amuro and Bright. They were awesome.

And they call it the "Best Gundam ever".
Yeah, right!

MSG >>>>>>>>>> Zeta Gundam
Apr 28, 2020 4:03 PM

Dec 2015
For those who just finished this series, here's a post-Zeta interview of Tomino, freshly translated !
http://www.zeonic-republic.net/?page_id=7832

May 1, 2020
@BrumaHobo Not a problem for me ! It got us a certain film and I love Amuro.
While it would have been very appropriate to Zeta, I think that it would have too strongly undermined the original's finale.

PS: glad I reached someone, I was sure this would go unnoticed for months or years. I invite you to browse the website further, there are some nice things. (sorry for the shameful advertisement but if you might be interested in some articles I compulsed on a MAL blog page.)
I already struggled through Zeta, I would never be able to forgive him bfor Amuro's death at that time, I imagine. ^^"

PPS: nice to meet someone else who doesn't put Zeta above 0079.

August 29, 2020
@Unowen @St0rmblade I think zeonic scanlation finalized his translation of Zeta's original draft if you're interested.
Rei_IIIAug 28, 2020 7:48 PM
May 1, 2020 4:54 AM

Jul 2019
Rei_III said:
For those who just finished this series, here's a post-Zeta interview of Tomino, freshly translated !

Thanks for sharing.

Seems like Tomino didn't have the guts to shoot Amuro through the leg and let him bleed to death, what a shame.
Jun 6, 2020 11:05 AM
May 2020
Finally at the end. Overall I'll give the show a 5/10

There were just far too many flaws in this show to make me consider it better than 0079, which I dont even think is that great either. Both definitely do not hold a candle to MSG origin. The first half of the show is filled with terrible characterization, from Kamille being probably one of the worst written MC's I've witnessed, to barebone plotlines that seemed to be made to just drive some semblance of a story. Action in the first half is also very confusing with the constant introduction of new MS's and and switching of pilots.

By the second half these issues are somewhat alleviated, mainly through Kamille being far better written. Action scenes, though less confusing, just feel bloated as a whole, and just an excuse to watch things explode. Throughout the series is a constant use of forced romances and drama occurring from them as a way to create character depth and add more to the story, but the core problem here is that all these forced romance subplots are done in the most basic way possible, usually though a girl just looking at a male character and somehow the male character falling head over heels for them in ways that boggle the mind. Newtypes here they take front and centre stage and are even more convoluted than they ever were in 0079.

Overall Im pretty disappointed in the show especially because it was so hyped up relative to other shows in the series. I can definitely understand really enjoying the show in your teen or younger years where youre more likely to let things like character depth and proper plotlines go to the wayside over just seeing more explosions(sorta like watching DBZ when youre a kid vs when youre older) and I feel like this show most definitely falls under that. Hopefully I find Unicorn a much better experience.
karsiusJun 6, 2020 11:09 AM
Jun 20, 2020 2:34 PM

Aug 2017
Remember when the show had Kai? Amuro? Beltorchika? Me neither. Well, it's for the better without Beltorchika, but still. So many characters were just dropped and never received any closure within the scope of the show at all.

Emma’s death was probably the only one that made me a tiny bit sad. Though the part about absorbing her life and will was obscure o_o

When Haman turned around to see Scirocco, Char could’ve taken his gun back! I'm so picky again!

Char “died”… given that CCA exists and there's a broken Hyaku Shiki at the end, I’m not really shaken, though the original viewers of the show back when it first aired probably were.
Kamille got a massive power-up again and finished Scirocco off in a glorious way. Though his schizophrenia seems to be intensifying (because of Sciroco’s psychic attack or something?), my boy completely lost his mind after the battle.

And so, Zeta just…ended. Most people are dead and Kamille has gone crazy. Char probably escaped somewhere somehow. Guess such an abrupt ending is to be expected since ZZ is a direct sequel or something.
I still don’t know who’s the girl in the ED.

But anyway, Zeta didn't end up being as awesome as many fans seem to see it. There were quite some interesting ideas, both plot-wise and animation-wise, but never fully explored. At several points in the series I found myself noting some visual quirk that had been added, like signal flares, or those flashes with character faces arranged on screen in different geometric forms, or lighting effects from explosions and all that. It was cool.

As for the plot, many things could've happened...but didn't. Zeta wasted a huge amount of time on characters that might have been relevant but were too poorly written for the viewer to appreciate that fact. But even more time was wasted on totally pointless space battles that often didn't bring anything at all to the table, neither in terms of plot nor character development. It could've been at least somewhat tolerable if the battles weren't so formulaic - starting mostly after the eyecatches (that is, in the 2nd half of the episode), and taking the entirety of the remaining time. It was predictable and pretty annoying. I felt like the series should've been 2 times shorter. And I got pretty tired of countless mobile suit designs (which names I didn't even bother to remember since Gundam has the most obnoxius names I've ever witnessed). Maybe this constant parade of new mobile suits has something to do with selling toys and dragging the show for so long in constant futile battles.

And the characters...I didn't grow on most of them as much as I did on the original crew from White Base. Frankly, the characters that I liked in Zeta, I already liked from the original movie trilogy (plus the Origin manga which is awesome and everyone should read it) - Bright, Char, Amuro, and those who cameo'd - Mirai, Kai, etc. Kamille received a good development and a tragic fate, sure, but he's one character, there's a plethora of others who could've been better. Even then, not everyone's story was closed - Kai just wrote a letter saying that "He's a CHAR", and disappeared for making his own "investigations" (of which we never learn anything) only to have a cameo during Char's Dakar speech. Sayla didn't make it into the show at all, aside from one cameo, which really disappointed me since she was in my top 3 of Gundam characters (alongside with Char and Amuro, followed by Bright and some interesting antagonists like Kycilia and Ramba Ral). Sayla's disappearance is probably not Tomino's fault (from what I get, her seiyuu wasn't available), but still. Amuro just remained on Earth with Hayato and Beltorchika and didn't even make a single appearance on screen after Char and Kamille departed for space. Fa...existed. Can't say a lot about her. And Char could've had a bigger role and presence in the show, I think! Though he was a somewhat good mentor. But it's too long to write about every character; anyway, they could've been better.

And now the deaths in the final episode. They hardly impacted me, really, which is a sign of how well (or not) they're written for me. I didn't cry or feel sad about anyone's death, even though the show had plenty of time to develop those characters (50 episodes!!! That's a lot). It's probably a wrong thing to do but I'm comparing it to LOGH which established so much more in terms of characters and the world in a similar amount of time, and I was *devastated* by the deaths of characters in this show. Maybe it's wrong to compare Zeta with a show that's hailed as a masterpiece and one of the best anime of all time, but why not? It's showing how good a series can be and how much potential can be used in such a long amount of time. Instead it got wasted on fight-of-the-week (or maybe of the day?) stuff.

Most of the antagonists were really uninspiring. I'm looking forward to Haman and Mineva, but the rest...just meh. I don't want to waste symbols to write about them.
Given how many people hail Zeta as the best Gundam ever (certainly not the case, I think 0079 and 0080 were better, and 08th MS Team was too, probably), I wonder how I'll react to ZZ, which seems to be super divisive, from being "the worst thing in existence made to destroy the franchise" to "hey that's actually pretty good". I wonder if it's that necessary to sit through another 50 episodes to get to CCA but I'll probably will. How can't I? I'm still invested in Char, Amuro. Bright, Kai, Haman, Mineva and the others. And I want Sayla back! Probably won't happen but the hope is still there. Gonna dig some post-zeta interviews now and try not to spoil myself on anything. Whew, that's a big rant.

Anyway, Zeta is 6-7/10 for me. I expected more, but there were too much problems and unexplored ideas and characters. The last 12-15 episodes were pretty decent, though not without their problems too.

I also wonder whether I should watch the remake movies. I probably will, but somewhere later (maybe after 0083, the "prequel"). There's also an episode-long side-story.

Rei_III said:

Katz was a "trash" as an actual person (and "trash" persons exist) but as a character was used very well by the series, especially in the way the creator chose to terminate him (through his end and his survival before, the "lesson" was greatly portrayed).

I agree here. I wasn't really pissed off at Katz like many people seem to be. He was a kid after all, and did reckless (and obviously unwise) things, but got lucky all the time. Not in episode 49 though. The fact that a 14 year old kid died alone in space by smashing in a meteoriteand blowing up while inside a tiny ship is pretty tragic if you ask me. Add to this the fact that a 14 year old kid killed the girl he loved. Oh wow. Katz's story wasn't well executed, sure, but he served a useful role inside the universe, and was a tragic character - for himself, for those whom he loved, and for those who loved him. Now I get what you meant by mentioning one of the orphan kids back in the forum thread about the first MSG movie, like he had a big payoff and all that.

I'm now browsing through some of the illustrations for Zeta made by Yasuhiko and they look awesome. I wish he remade Zeta into an awesome manga like he did with The Origin.

P.S. Just gonna drop a compilation of all slaps in Zeta here
https://youtu.be/GAJhEuKOzro

Rei_III said:

Thanks for the link, I remember it from your blog post. Tomino surely likes to kill his characters (of which I was vaguely aware after being spoiled about a certain show). He's quite a pessimist. And wow, he mentions that "Char's Counterattack" was a supplementary title for Zeta? That's unexpected and makes me question the status of ZZ.
It's also interesting how Tomino said that budget problems were actually good because Zeta would've ended up considerably worse, had he more creative freedom. Weird point of view.

P.P.S. It took me 50 episodes to remember that Char has a scar because of his swordfight with Amuro at the end of the OYW. I also realized that Amuro never met Bright throughout the entirety of Zeta!

I think zeonic scanlation finalized his translation of Zeta's original draft if you're interested.

I started tracking down his activity a while ago, so I've seen that already. Tomino really had some strange things in his mind (especially about Char and Shakti, took me a while to realize that Tomino was not talking about a character from Victory)
St0rmbladeAug 29, 2020 12:18 AM
Aug 25, 2020 7:08 PM

Jun 2015
Somehow a hastier ending than 0079's, when that was the prematurely cancelled series.

Not a bad watch, but I take 0079 over Zeta any day. I was surprised about how well-rounded the characters ended up being there, even most of the secondary ones. Sure, the deaths were foreseeable, but even those characters were given enough screen time to have a serviceable impact in the story and the main crew. Zeta on the other hand opts to not kill many of these characters, dragging their issues instead (like Reccoa or Jerid) and then just suddenly killing them like this. So despite the high number, I can't say I was surprised by almost any of the deaths.

All in all the first ~20 eps were pretty good, but then the series insisted too much in the cyber-newtypes, re-using the "lover dying" cliché at least 5 times (because Lalah wasn't enough) and well, the script as a whole turned less interesting and stale, never forgetting to paint the Titans as vile tyrants that wipe out colonies with no contemplation.

Respect where is due, I liked the show's visuals and the improved world building, i.e. in how the colonies are shown in much more detail than in the previous installment.
Oct 3, 2020 10:50 AM

Nov 2019
Wow, that was wow. unexpected ending to this show and boy was that depressing.
i really enjoyed this show, it was surpassed its predecessor. really great characters, i especially loved how there was a lot of screen time for Char(who is probably the best character so far)
Haman was also quit interesting

But i'm glad i picked this up and so it through to the end.
I will miss that ed song
there was a really nice aesthetic to this installment

Nov 28, 2020 10:03 PM

Nov 2018
This was INSANE, some messy episodes and characters but at the end all sums up pretty neat. I found it almost as good as the original. I'm not expecting much from ZZ after previously watching the OP and the character designs.
Jan 13, 2021 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
To be honest I didn't really like this ending at all. It didn't really make sense that through out the show, Kamille in his Zeta and Char in that god awful Hyaku Shiki were constantly getting out matched by the enemy, always retreating, than Boom! out of nowhere the Zeta goes beast mode and destroys the enemy. I guess I never warmed up to Kamille, thought he was kinda boring but always have loved Char. I wish Char would've had a bigger part in defeating Scirocco but what are you gonna do.
removed-userJan 16, 2021 1:45 PM
Jan 17, 2021 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Kamille was probably the most annoying gundam character ever. I don't know if it was the dub but he was just horrible to me.
Mar 5, 2021 7:47 PM

Aug 2017
It's obvious Char is still alive, IDK how. Looks like the anime ended in a tragic tone. Scirocco leaves Kamille insane :/

Overall, the anime is....ok, not good as the original, just ok. As romance, the anime is terrible, Rosamia arc was stupid, most side characters were VERY annoying -the kids, Katz, Fa (how could she survived at the end?). Reccoa, Sarah, Jerid, Wong, Rosamia, Kamille in early episodes-, battles were quite good, its more focused than the original, obvious plot armor until the writer decided to kill characters at the end. The Titans as antagonists are generic, in the original the Zeon soldiers were not complete monsters, here? Except naive people or those who switch sides, they're just evil for the sake of being evil. Despite having 50 episodes, the anime is rushed. Also, I feel disconnected with the new characters except Emma and Jerid popping up to make Kamille suffer was very annoying and a cheap plot device. Honestly, most Earth episodes were the best part of this anime. I take 0079 over Zeta any day.

This is the fourth Gundam I've started watching and my fifth completed Gundam. 5/10 for the anime
NurguburuMar 5, 2021 8:34 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 11, 2021 12:47 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I spoiled myself on Kamille's fate at the end but man, Scirocco really dragged his soul to hell. Aside from the terrible romance and the female characters barring Haman and Emma, it's pretty good. Also, Kamille's character development is great.
Sep 2, 2021 1:04 PM
Aug 2019
The last two episodes were crazy with the number of characters getting killed, the ending was shocking & dark. I feel sorry for Kamille his mind broke & going insane like that.
Overall Zeta Gundam wasn't great. Some points I enjoyed while some were less enjoyable I feel like the last few episodes were the most enjoyable to watch. The animation & music was alright. I find a lot of the characters fine.
I liked Kamille but sometimes I find him annoying, I liked his development & it was really tragic how he ended up at the end. I really loved seeing both Amuro & Char plus seeing him in a mentor role was quite nice. The romantic relationships in this were bad & felt forced.

Sep 15, 2021 2:22 PM

Nov 2014
It's been a ride, but overall I'd say Zeta had a good ending, even if it was a bit of a downer. I liked Kamille a lot more than Amuro as a main character, and I enjoyed Zeta as a whole more than 0079. Good stuff, 8/10.
Oct 10, 2021 7:34 AM
Apr 2012
This anime is 4/10 for me. Definitely worse than the original Gundam (I only watched the movies though).

The main problem I had with it was that Shinta and Qum's antics made more sense than majority of the plots. The ending battle was pure nonsense, especially Kamille getting power off the dead to defend his Gundam. The romances made no sense, just like many of the characters.

The highlights of the series for me were Amuro and Four episodes on Earth in first half, then Haman in the second half. And the ED song.

Char was disappointing, I wasn't a fan of his previously, but in the first half of the show his dialogue for the most part was dumbly repeating what the other person said to him (like: person says: "It's a chair." and Char replies: "A chair?"). After that he got slightly better in the second half with a few key events that developed him, but it still wasn't enough to make me really like him.

I didn't mind Kamille but he still needed better writing and more development. I liked Fa and the kids (Katz too).
Jan 2, 2022 9:43 AM

Dec 2021
Wow, what a depressing ending, but it was truly a great conclusion, it's the first time in all Zeta i've got the same feeling of lyrism as in the last part of og MSG. Overall this was a very good series, plot-wise better than the original on many aspects but ruined by some terrible characterization and stupid plot/character arcs.
P.S. Probably i would have been a lot more impacted by this ending if the title of one of the next entries in the franchise didn't already spoiled me the outcome of a particular aspect of it lol
P.P.S. Although there's already an hint of it here
Jan 13, 2022 5:40 AM

Feb 2017
The first MSG came to a close in a much better fashion than this one. Really rushed all the deaths at the end plus the batshit space magic powered mecha, good thing Kamille planned that in the Zeta's original design.
Jan 16, 2022 5:30 PM
Mar 2014
I love this Gundam in particular simply because their was someone with my actual name.. something that's rare in anime šŸ¤£ >>> Hasan Sensei
Jul 31, 2022 8:43 PM
Mar 2016
Shit anime, worst Gundam I have watch alongside with G Reconshitsta ahem Reconguista both of the overrated Tomino. The first Gundam have problems but this thing is absolute garbage
Sep 6, 2022 12:49 AM
Dec 2019
Man...Zeta sucks. Since it ends by killing all the annoying, stupid, badly written characters it seems like people trick themselves into thinking the ending is epic but if the show were good then those characters would all have had a purpose for existing (and possibly for being so annoying) instead. By the end I was just watching at like 5x speed to make it stop.
Sep 8, 2022 12:36 AM

Jun 2016
I've been spoiled with many other anime (shows and games) where main and supporting characters rarely dies or pretend to die hence why I couldn't get into gundam series long time ago. Finally decided to pickup Gundam and willing to watch the entire series knowing full well there are going to be many characters I really like that will end up dead.

First series was Lalah and that big guy that went kamikaze are the ones I wish they were still alive.

This series Zeta, it was Sarah, Emma, and the Radish crew I was sadden to see them go. Felt sorry for Four and Rosammy as well as they went through so much pain.

On the Bright side, at least Bright "eh heh", is still alive and Fa too.

Now the next is ZZ, how many more favorite characters will die in this series.....
Oct 30, 2022 7:19 PM
Nov 2018
That was a pretty cool ending, but damn Zeta Gundam overall was such a mixed bag for me. The mechs, overall conflict and the different sides and alliances were very cool, but the characters really brought down my enjoyment of this show. There were so many uninteresting and unlikeable characters. The most interesting characters to me were Amuro and Quattro/Char, and I don't know how to feel about that. I did not like Kamille as a main character and did not like the Cyber Newtype plot threads.

Honestly I don't know if I can continue on with UC stuff, I'm going to take a break to see. I just want to watch Unicorn and the newer stuff.
Jun 9, 2023 4:25 PM

Aug 2016
i liked this season i wish there was more amuro action also i hope char survived
Jun 20, 2023 8:32 PM
Feb 2021
love how they ended this
Aug 3, 2023 3:40 AM

Apr 2022
I hate to say it but this is nowhere near the masterpiece it get advertised as, and it really doesn't hold a candle to the original series in my opinion. I really wanted to like this but the insufferable characters and shitty inconsistent writing really tested my patience. I'm surprised I made myself sit through the whole thing. 

Pretty much the only characters I really enjoyed were Amuro, Char, Kamille, and Haman. Seeing Amuro back in action and watching Char's arc unfold was pretty satisfying, Haman was a solid (if underused) villain and Kamille had some decent development despite being pretty annoying at times, but almost everyone else was either boring, annoying or painfully stupid. Katz and Reccoa are both terrible and Scirocco, Bask, Jerid, and the other villains were just bleh. The Titans as a whole just felt like a complete rehash of Zeon, except without any of the things that made Zeon actually interesting to begin with. When your antagonists are boring and your heroes are annoying, it's not exactly a recipe for a compelling show. 

4/10 for me. I think I need to rewatch 08th MS Team or something to get the taste of this show out of my mouth.
_Ne0n_Jan 31, 2:07 PM
Sep 1, 2023 11:06 AM

Jul 2017
how can zeta gundam be considered the best gundam anime?
it was painful, i'm glad it's over.
this was for me the worst gundam serie i have seen, dreadfully written characters, inconsistent story and so much nonsensical and childish dialogues.
0079 is way better even if it is simplier
Overall a 4/10, and i'm being way too kind
''Touch the darkness inside me''

Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 7, 2008

69 by Cazqui-09 »»
May 11, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 7, 2008

54 by Cazqui-09 »»
May 10, 9:32 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cantius - Aug 29, 2009

53 by Cazqui-09 »»
May 10, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 7, 2008

65 by Cazqui-09 »»
May 10, 12:35 PM

Poll: » Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jun 6, 2008

93 by Cazqui-09 »»
May 10, 1:39 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.