Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 20, 2014 9:34 PM

Jul 2012
insan3Spectre said:
I feel like you may have missed a scene then. There is a scene at the end, I believe, of episode 2 in a grave yard where Yang meets Jessica. Maybe that was in the movie, though. I can't remember.

It's in the movie.
Jul 20, 2014 11:07 PM

Jun 2009
mayukachan said:
insan3Spectre said:
I feel like you may have missed a scene then. There is a scene at the end, I believe, of episode 2 in a grave yard where Yang meets Jessica. Maybe that was in the movie, though. I can't remember.

It's in the movie.

Really? My bad, then. I could have sworn something was in that second episode that wasn't in the movie....
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 21, 2014 8:36 AM

Jul 2012
Well, I'll probably try to get episodes 1-2 done sometime soon just to get the full feel on the series, even though I know what happens.
Aug 15, 2014 1:43 PM

Jun 2012
Yeah I went straight from the movie to the third episode (although it was quite a while ago that I'd watched it so I had to flick through it again to remind myself), and it felt like it transitioned pretty smoothly. I thought Yang was pretty awesome in the films too and he's carrying on that characteristic as expected.
Oct 22, 2014 8:53 PM

Mar 2012
So basically Freedom = don't say anything that bad about the Alliance or the Secretary of Defense or else you'll get whacked.....yea well I'd rather stick with the Empire thank you very much.
Dec 30, 2014 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
I just started watching this series and so far I'm liking it, despite its old animation. I could sense a huge battle brewing and it'd be epic for sure. I have high hopes for this series.

Yang sure is adorable, I like his 80's design.
Feb 1, 2015 5:55 AM

May 2012
That suppression of humanity... pretty okay episode but I do wonder what happens next!
Feb 3, 2015 2:43 PM

Aug 2014
This episode was very good with a lot of content.
Its great that they have that political aspect of the show with all that government propaganda and whatnot. I can't wait to see where they go with this.
Apr 15, 2015 1:51 PM

Feb 2014
Yang's a pretty good guy.

I want to see more of the Knights to see if they ever get "caught", and if Jessica plays more of a role.

Apr 23, 2015 9:37 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, How big is the population of humans? How many planets do they inhibit? What's the span of human life, how many light years, or does everyone live in the same solar system? So many questions, I don't think those will be answered.
Apr 24, 2015 11:44 PM

Aug 2014
Weird that the OP focuses primarily on the trio of Kircheis, Reinhard and his sister while leaving Yang out completely yet the episode focuses primarily on Yang.

This episode gives us some internal and political conflict which is always welcomed in this type of story. I found it kinda comical and out of place with the whole using a remote control fire hydrant to defeat the bad guys.
May 22, 2015 9:20 AM
Nov 2014
Yang is awesome, but fuck those feggits wearing the hockey masks seriously lol. Interesting story so far.
Jun 13, 2015 6:18 PM

Dec 2013
Loving Yang already :)
Jun 26, 2015 8:14 AM

Feb 2015
Yang is pretty cool so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 25, 2015 9:02 AM

Apr 2014
I like Yang Wenli. And great episode, much better than the first two episodes.
Aug 5, 2015 7:49 AM

Jan 2014
Yang is so cute.
The Patriotic Knights Corps were so lulz.
Especially when they started to water them xD
Jan 17, 2016 4:31 AM

Dec 2012
Interesting how Yang says he wants to be a historical researcher while this series has already established that the history of war is the history of man. In that sense, he's already a historian.
Apr 18, 2016 6:46 PM

Jun 2010
A little clunky. When Truniht is delivering his speech I get the impression I'm supposed to think he's a blowhard because of the nature of his portrayal until now, but there's no reason to think so from what the series has shown me. What will happen if the Alliance loses the war? Will it get conquered wholesale? I don't know because the show hasn't given me anything but if that were true than the speech isn't as shallow as it's apparently supposed to be. I need to know the stakes here.

It works a lot better as the base for the counterpoint of the paramilitary thugs but I think it jumps the gun by showing Truniht as a bad egg so soon.

I'm also not that impressed by Jessica's point (which precedes the hypocrisy of the paramilitaries). Abraham Lincoln was a man who was never a soldier and also delivered a speech in honor of war dead focused on the idea of self-sacrifice for freedom and perseverance of the survivors (though with much greater eloquence and sensitivity) and he wasn't just some blowhard.
May 28, 2016 6:54 PM

Aug 2014
Didn't know what to think of Yang when I first started this series but I'm liking his character more and more with each passing episode.
Jun 20, 2016 12:33 AM

Mar 2010
Well so far the anime doesn't do the hype justice. It's extremely dull, the battles were outright ridiculous from strategic standpoint (no, really, they fight 3D battles as 2D? Do they forget they have up and down to go?) and look more like a turn based strategy than a real one (because waiting for your opponent to finish making their move is clearly the best option any commander has), heck, even your average gamer would be a better commander than what we saw and female characters are there either to exist in the crowd or cry over their dead husbands or be useless. You would think that in such developed age there would be more women in the military. Or, right, I forgot, this is Japan and women have no personality other than crying. My bad.

This is just bad and I say that as someone who loves philosophical anime and war strategy. LoGH desperately tries to be deep but gets as deep as Naruto. Even Death Note with its Batman Gambit and full on coincidental luck on all sides was more strategic than this.
Aug 13, 2016 7:34 AM

Oct 2015
One of my favorite episodes! It was both realistic and adventurous.
It's great that Yang had found an excuse not to attend that ceremony. Listening to someone like Truniht and being obliged to cheer while he gives his speech would be something both annoying and boring. Although, it's a good idea to stay at home and give sarcastic comments while watching him on TV. I guess, I would gladly do the same.
I think Jessica is a very strong woman, she's ready to stand up and speak her mind when it's necessary. I'm glad Yang managed to help her. He's truly a genious. Cracking jokes in the midst of the fight and still finding an easy way to get out of that mess.
As I said, this episode is very enjoyable because it depicts reality in a slightly comic way. And it was quite interesting too.
By the way, I still don't get why Julian wants to be a soldier this much. Yang was forced to become one. And it's very generous of him to be ready to pay for Julian so that he would be free to make his own choices.
Omnia munda mundis
Aug 15, 2016 5:14 PM

Apr 2015
Well this was quite interesting and boring. Weird thing to say but I feel like the presentation of this series could be better than it already is because it does have an interesting plot.

Also Good guy Yang.

3/5 for this episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 2, 2016 9:24 PM

Dec 2014
lmao, when freedom contradicts freedom

Seems like Trunhitz is made to be that one character that is seemingly all talk and tries to act honorably in the face of the public but in reality is a coward. I don't know how Jessica was able to see through his bullshit.
Nov 15, 2016 11:16 AM
Oct 2015
Ive been hearing about this show since i first got into anime so it casts quite a shadow. Being known as the "most intelligent political show evuh" kinda always made me fear it may be *Gasp* boring. However, three episodes in and I'm honestly surprised how much I'm enjoying it so far. Yang is easy to like and its blending the political drama with human drama really well. I'm sure it will get more political heavy as the series goes on but it got me invested in the characters from the go making it easy to care about the shows politics. Bring on more ginga!
Dec 5, 2016 9:14 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
another episode and another surprise, and I do not mean the idiocy of the politician on duty corrupted, if not that Yang has to take Iserholn!!!! Yang is ascende, they give him half fleet to to that anyone did it en 35 years!!!!

5/5
Feb 27, 2017 12:33 PM

Feb 2015
Haha, that PKC scene at the house was so silly, feeling completely out of place in a show like this.
Oct 9, 2017 2:35 AM

May 2016
yang is a beast in disguise

Nov 29, 2017 11:27 PM

Jan 2010
The amount of casualties being treated as a number was one of my concerns regarding this anime, where its large scale would work against it in that regard, losing a sense of empathy as a result. Interestingly, with Yang's character, we have some of that sentiment highlighted, where the war's losses being used for political reasons was given attention. No, rather, it was outright criticized, making the deaths feel impactful not for the deaths themselves, but for what they brought about.

Huh, perhaps I somewhat underestimated LOTGH. I'll still voice concerns, but perhaps it knows what it's doing more than what I think. Though, that Jason Voorhees execution crew at the end sure seemed extreme.
Jan 13, 2018 6:51 PM
Nov 2017
The PKC was a nice touch but a little overboard. Love the enemy on home soil bit.

Still wrapping my head around all those causalities. I'm sucked in to this show.
Jan 26, 2018 9:09 AM
May 2017
Every time it focuses more and more on the characters, I like that :)
Mar 1, 2018 6:07 AM
Nov 2015
I suppose you think I'm a bitch, don't you

Oh this rewatch is so much fun.
Mar 1, 2018 6:18 AM
Nov 2015
CrystalGemFox said:
The PKC was a nice touch but a little overboard. Love the enemy on home soil bit.

Still wrapping my head around all those causalities. I'm sucked in to this show.

1.5 million. That's nearly as many as Battle of Stalingrad. And this is all soldier death and I suppose no civilian death.

But this is nearly a thousand years into the future so the population must be around a hundred billion.
Mar 30, 2018 3:48 PM

Mar 2018
I disliked the appearance of the PKC. Thought they looked silly in all honesty despite the fact i understand the reasoning behind it. But this little dislike of their appearance is virtually the sole qualm i have with this episode.

In fact, their inclusion is what i enjoyed the most. Serving as this ultra-nationalist paramilitary organisation that has a ton of real life historical parallels to many nationalist and fundamentalist groups, i thought they balanced out one of the opinions i think most people were forming before this episode. That through Yang Wenli occupying the role as the main protagonist on the side of the Alliance we'd assume his side is the positive.

But it's virtually autocracy vs monarchy. This isn't a simple black and white, good and evil war. It's intelligent and within three episodes has me understanding that evil is subjective in this show just as it is in real life.

The inclusion of Trunicht's speech and characters as an instigating force that anyone familiar with either history or politics will be all too familiar with, the Schurzstaffel (SS) like PKC who balance the negatives of each army and Yang Wenli's commentary and philosophy on war and figures like Trunicht who perpetuate it. Jessica's character who personifies a thought many people hold against men who send the sons of others to war whilst basking in their glory having never layed a finger. This show is just brilliant with these subtle nuances that allude to many core opinions people hold during times of war.

This show is incredibly charming so far and after a mere three episodes i'm understanding the hype. Incredibly excited to see what Yang Wenli does with the 13th fleet and how exactly he'll shine.

Recommend me some short Manga!

Apr 9, 2018 12:04 PM
Sep 2016
Yang is fantastic; his dry, sardonic wit reminds me of how Paul McCartney sounded in the Beatles’ heyday.

The PKC felt all too chillingly real to me. They wouldn’t have needed to kill Jessica to <spit> teach her a lesson.

Trunicht, as Defense Secretary, would be politically bulletproof during a conflict of this scale. If anyone’s going to take him down, it will be Yang, and not for a while yet.

A really good show. I’m reminded of Babylon 5 in a lot of ways. Hopefully we’ll get a headquarters look at the Empire next.
Apr 19, 2018 6:08 AM

Nov 2011
I am happy to have postponed the vision of this anime when the remake of LOGH started. Although the two series have been running on the same track so far, now this similarity is evident in the intent to show how power in the empire and in the alliance is administered by similar figures in their criminal logic. The character of Yang is already solid in his figure and charismatic, although the anime series has only begun three episodes, notable! Beautiful so far the design of various means of battle and beyond. Soundtrack very devoted to the classic, I see it well in this anime series.
Apr 26, 2018 10:06 AM

Sep 2017
Yang is quite the cool guy with tricks up his sleeve. He is clever, but I don't put him as a brilliant general.

The security sucks at the tower. No one bothered to keep the members in their seats?

The PKC is internally operated. They should have finished her when they had the chance. This is what happens when you are too slow. That lady was an idiot trying to ask questions she will never get an answer to. You will never get a candid answer from a politician. She was putting herself in danger. Doesn't she know that? And now you are thinking of the question of where the secretary was? Such bullshit.

"Yang, do you think I am a bitch?" Whoa, that's quite strong girl. I wouldn't call you a bitch, but now that you established it, I see no other way. What a self depreciating girl. I can't understand why her husband agreed to marry such a pessimistic character. I also think she has the hots for Yang, which is not acceptable.

Yang consoling that the children won't have to fight. NICE.

Let's see how Yang tries to win the fortress by what is essentially a suicide mission. The officials are corrupt af. I would have given the general some small scale mission and then promoted him to this task if he completed it successfully. Looks like the officials want to dispose of him in battle. Another question is how there are no other heroes or intellectual masterminds in the free alliance. I mean, if you want to continue the war, fine, but according to me, it would be easier if you capture them instead of continuing to act as if you are fighting them. The officials care more about remaining in their posts than winning the war. Maybe the Galactic Empire is different from these officials. I hope so.

I am quite fairly certain of how war is handled and the worst part is when the country knowingly sends you to your death and calls it ''sacrifice". I hate nations which use people's lives as a tool to encourage more people to lay their lives for the motherland. Soldiers must be honored, not numbered. As you can see, every war is not fought for nice means.

I would have to yet watch overture. Anyhow, I will see how the first couple of episodes go and if they are not up to the satisfaction, I don't see how it can be a masterpiece.(Regardless of how the last couple of episodes be, 80% of a perfect anime is still 80%.)

But the current episode is good. Maintain that upward trajectory.
JeremiahOrangeApr 26, 2018 10:12 AM

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

May 13, 2018 5:29 AM

Mar 2017
I finally picked this up again after over a year... and I am already hooked! Some assholes convinced me to drop it, but this is clearly above many other anime in terms of writing quality. Sure, it has its problems, but really a lot happened in this episode already.

Although it gets a bit close, I wouldn't call it preachy. I think a lot of morally grey areas will be explored in this anime. I actually really liked the silly costumes of those SS motherfuckers. The combination of an intelligent plot with serious characters and this visual cheesiness is really entertaining!
Aug 28, 2018 6:33 PM

Feb 2017
Yang's conversation with the war widow at the end of the episode confirms that his goal is ending the war (within the next 15 years, even). I'm sure he will use any promotions and increases in power and authority to further his path to peace. Although, there must be people on all sides of the war who would prefer to see it continue indefinitely.
Nov 20, 2018 7:39 AM

Jan 2013
Fuck those PKC dudes and fuck the Secretary of Defense. Corrupted to the core
Dec 3, 2018 7:34 PM

Oct 2017
I've heard the show gets borderline bombastic later on so we will see carnage
Dec 9, 2018 11:23 PM

Dec 2015
Not sure what to think of Jessica's line. It's kind of a dumb argument when you know actual "good" leaders really did that.

How can you approach the Council President so easily?? Not only during an official event but even... AT HOME?!

2/5 Not a really good start... a big fall of interest after two great movies !

No wonder
No wonder this was skipped in Fujisaki's adaptation. Unless this wasn't a part of the original?
Dec 13, 2018 6:10 PM
Feb 2018
It's really interesting to see an outsider's perspective of Americans- the alliance is clearly modeled after the US with its focus on individual freedom, its multiculturalism, and its jingoism (plus the anthem and the red, white, and blue). The way people spoke about freedom made it sound cult-like and inauthentic. I laughed a little at the part of the anthem where they said 'Liberty Bell.'
Jessica's point wasn't great because those the highest military positions are not in the front line of battle for a reason- their military expertise and the respect they command make them difficult to replace.
Yang has been given a suicide mission. I'm sure he will come through but it seems like they have a very expensive plan to get rid of him based on what we saw of 'Thor.'
Dec 14, 2018 7:04 PM

Jun 2013
Lysmerry said:
It's really interesting to see an outsider's perspective of Americans- the alliance is clearly modeled after the US with its focus on individual freedom, its multiculturalism, and its jingoism (plus the anthem and the red, white, and blue). The way people spoke about freedom made it sound cult-like and inauthentic. I laughed a little at the part of the anthem where they said 'Liberty Bell.'
Jessica's point wasn't great because those the highest military positions are not in the front line of battle for a reason- their military expertise and the respect they command make them difficult to replace.
Yang has been given a suicide mission. I'm sure he will come through but it seems like they have a very expensive plan to get rid of him based on what we saw of 'Thor.'

Do note that Jessica was actually not referring to the military leaders per se, but rather the politicians (like Trunicht, the one making the speech) that made the decisions to prolong/expand the war while making sure that they and the people connected to them are safe at home. This was also why Jessica specifically mentioned Trunicht's family during her denouncement.
Dec 15, 2018 7:23 AM
Feb 2018
MagisterArcanum said:
Lysmerry said:

Do note that Jessica was actually not referring to the military leaders per se, but rather the politicians (like Trunicht, the one making the speech) that made the decisions to prolong/expand the war while making sure that they and the people connected to them are safe at home. This was also why Jessica specifically mentioned Trunicht's family during her denouncement.

I see what you're saying, but you don't get the position of Secretary of Defense in a democratic country without having military experience. He's older now and served his time. In the US the president is technically head of the armed forces, so if that were the case she could use that criticism. But Trunicht could definitely shield his loved ones- it would have been a better example if he had sons that were exempt from military service.

I just noticed that Trunicht name sounds like "treu" and "nicht." 'Treu' means loyal or faithful in German and Nicht means 'not." So his name sort of sounds like 'not loyal.' I wonder if he will betray the country.
Dec 15, 2018 9:30 PM

Jun 2013
Lysmerry said:
MagisterArcanum said:

I see what you're saying, but you don't get the position of Secretary of Defense in a democratic country without having military experience. He's older now and served his time. In the US the president is technically head of the armed forces, so if that were the case she could use that criticism. But Trunicht could definitely shield his loved ones- it would have been a better example if he had sons that were exempt from military service.

I just noticed that Trunicht name sounds like "treu" and "nicht." 'Treu' means loyal or faithful in German and Nicht means 'not." So his name sort of sounds like 'not loyal.' I wonder if he will betray the country.

Well, Trunicht was in fact a classic example of a "chicken-hawk" politician. He did served his time when he was young, but he remained in the capital planet Heinessen throughout his entire service and never left for the front lines at all. This was mentioned in Overture to a New War, which is essentially a remake of the first two episodes.
Dec 16, 2018 5:58 AM
Feb 2018
[quote=MagisterArcanum message=56484192]
Lysmerry said:
MagisterArcanum said:

Well, Trunicht was in fact a classic example of a "chicken-hawk" politician. He did served his time when he was young, but he remained in the capital planet Heinessen throughout his entire service and never left for the front lines at all. This was mentioned in Overture to a New War, which is essentially a remake of the first two episodes.

Ah, I see, thanks for the backstory. I haven't seen the first two films. I know lots of people here love them, but the first two episodes were too stiff for my taste so I find it hard to imagine I'd enjoy them. I prefer the political side, and getting into battles once we've grown to care for the characters. Reinhard was a little too OP, but Yang was the best part of those episodes with his tactical abilities, humility, and humanity. Though I'm sure if you were watching in the 80s, the excellent draftsmanship of the various ships would look amazing in an era with no or minimal CGI. I'll admit I'm not sold on the show yet because it's so stiff but even if it isn't good it's an interesting look into the history of anime.

Reallly pleased those both sides (seem to) be given equal weight, flaws and positives. The negatives of the Alliance are more covert and supposedly 'independent' of the government (reminds me of a mix of secret CIA monitoring tactics and fascist Germany brownshirts (the PKC)) while the negatives of Empire are more open (a daughter being sold to the emperor, obvious nepotism.) I do hope they remain equally balanced in good and evil, and that we get to the see the average people in the Empire.
LysmerryDec 16, 2018 6:05 AM
Apr 26, 2019 9:29 AM

Apr 2014
No matter how far into the future we go, hooligans will always be wearing hockey mask variations.
May 30, 2019 9:32 AM

Oct 2008
My favorite of these first 3 episodes, we actually get out of the spaceships and into the actual people involved in this unfathomably large and long war. The pacing is a bit weird and things are still a bit underdeveloped to make anything hit hard yet but it's on the right track. This was much more interesting than the first 2 episodes and showcases a lot of promise.Gave me some Akira vibes a bit but that's probably just my lack of experience with older art styles and these sort of dystopian cities.

This show leaves me with a lot of questions, how big are these sides? Where do they live? How big of a dent is 1.5 million people? For just one battle and one that seemed kinda, inconsequential and more of just another battle. Do they always fight with manned ships? What about AI? Why risk human life so often? Why does this not seem that big a deal for them? Imagine losing that many people in one battle now, it would be unfathomable. Just to give you an idea how massive these numbers are, the Atom bombs in Japan only killed about 200,000 people and it's remembered by everyone on this planet. Imagine losing 1.5 MILLION in one battle and the war showing no sign of ending or altering, which makes you assume these numbers are normal.

Anyways, interesting show, very interested to see how things develop.
Sep 15, 2019 11:51 AM

Sep 2018
A very interesting and mature episode in the dialogues, the figure of Yang already gains a lot of depth on the character plane and as a protagonist, I can't wait to watch the next episode and get to know the character of Reinhard.
Oct 4, 2019 1:50 PM
Apr 2016
Ah, a fine worldbuilding episode, got to know a lot. While what the woman said is technically true; it does not imply she was morally just, it is just the world they live in, exactly what she said at the end, "people are equally suffering from the same grief," there is just unfortunately no one to blame for what happens.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

62 by wibugar »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 110 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

604 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 30, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 89 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tainteddonut - Jun 4, 2008

160 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 82 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tainteddonut - Jun 2, 2008

431 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 29, 10:46 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 54 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 30, 2008

140 by Unkrowned »»
Apr 28, 2:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.